PDA

View Full Version : Don's voice

shunlvswx
09-10-2013, 09:44 AM
I don't know if we ever did a thread about Don's voice, but I'm going to start one.

Don's voice. All I can say is wow!!! He has an amazing voice. I can hear him all day. The one thing I notice about Don's voice is, it really hasn't changed that much. It just got better. He may not can hit the high notes like he use too, but he still can.

He blends so well with his band members and blend so well with people he duet with. I love when he's singing harmony with Glenn.

I think my favorite songs that he has a great range are Wasted Time, The Boys of Summer, and probably more I can't think of at this moment. LOL

I really can't believe he has this voice since his talking voice is a deep baritone voice, but yet he sings like tenor.

WalshFan88
09-10-2013, 12:51 PM
Don is my favorite singer... I'll admit, his voice is extremely soothing to me in songs like The Heart Of The Matter, Wasted Time, The Last Resort, Witchy Woman, etc. And he can totally rock out on Life In The Fast Lane, Hotel California, Those Shoes, The Long Run, etc.

I love Don's voice (I like Glenn's voice too, but Don's is my favorite).

shunlvswx
09-10-2013, 01:39 PM
You're welcome. His voice is soothing. When he does those ballads, you just melt. There's three artists I would listen to get through the day: The Eagles, The Osmonds and Kenny.

Witchy Woman
09-10-2013, 03:36 PM
Don is my favorite singer of all time. I could listen to him all day, every day. His voice has aged a little, but still sounds basically the same.

maryc2130
09-10-2013, 09:02 PM
Don is my favorite singer of all time. I could listen to him all day, every day. His voice has aged a little, but still sounds basically the same.

Agreed on all counts. To have the versatility and range to go from a song like Waiting in the Weeds to one like Hotel California makes him the best around, IMHO.

Zanny Kingston
12-29-2013, 08:25 PM
Bringing this one back because I have a question that I hope someone knows the answer to- I apologize in advance if this has already been discussed!!

I love Don Henley's singing and always have.

I just happened to catch the HOTE doc on Showtime a few hours ago and I once again saw the part where Glenn tells the story of how he became the lead singer of the subterraneans when he was in high school. He basically went up to them and told them he could sing "Satisfaction", so just by that statement I know he had been singing, even as really, a child at the time.

Don also mentions being in a band as a teenager - Dixieland Music, but in his own words- nobody sang. How did Don discover that he could sing? From everything I have read about him, I have never seen any mention of him getting a start as a singer so it got me wondering, how did that fabulous voice of his come to light?

shunlvswx
12-29-2013, 09:12 PM
Good question, Kingston. I wonder about that too. Don was a shy boy growing up from what I read. I would had thought singing up front would scare the crap out of him.

Well we know he started singing in Felicity which became Shiloh. So between the band he had in high school to Felicity(aka Shiloh), he had to find out he could sing. The question is how and who told him he could sing.

Freypower
12-29-2013, 11:27 PM
Nobody told him. The band decided it had to have a singer so they drew lots. He lost. It's as simple as that. It's lucky that he then turned out to have a gift. He got the rasp by having to sing very hard above crowds in bars in order to be heard because their amplification in those days would have been basic.

(This is something I would like to discuss about Glenn as well but I'm not going off topic).

shunlvswx
12-29-2013, 11:30 PM
Nobody told him. The band decided it had to have a singer so they drew lots. He lost. It's as simple as that. It's lucky that he then turned out to have a gift. He got the rasp by having to sing very hard above crowds in bars in order to be heard because their amplification in those days would have been basic.

(This is something I would like to discuss about Glenn as well but I'm not going off topic).

I didn't know that. I learn something new about Don everyday. If he had to sing hard, wouldn't that had hurt his voice over the years?

I guess it was good he had lost. He was hiding that great voice that needed to come out.

Zanny Kingston
12-30-2013, 12:11 AM
Thanks FP!

It also just goes to show that sometimes things really do happen for a reason.

I agree Shun- this board is a great source to learn interesting things every day.

Ive always been a dreamer
12-30-2013, 10:23 PM
Of course, I absolutely love Don's voice. To me, it is so distinctive and unique. It rarely that I would hear him sing anything and not recognize that it is him. His voice has such a masculine and sexy quality to it, and is full of soul.

shunlvswx
12-30-2013, 10:33 PM
I agree, IABAD. Don has soul to his voice. That's the word I was thinking of for his version of She's Got a Way last night. He's brings emotion and soul to that song. I heard nothing, but good things about Don's version of She's Got a Way.

I agree. If a song comes on the radio that you never heard of, you know its him.

Now there's one song that his voice was different. EIDN. When I first heard that song I was like that's Don, but than he goes into his usual singing voice.

Ive always been a dreamer
12-30-2013, 10:45 PM
Yeah - I guess I should qualify my post a little bit. There are songs such as EIDN, The Garden of Allah, and Damn It, Rose (and others) where he uses more of what I call a 'talking' voice that sounds different from his usual singing voice. I guess it's no accident that many of those are some of my least favorite of his songs.

shunlvswx
12-30-2013, 10:54 PM
I like EIDN, I just don't like the video. Very scary.

Brooke
12-31-2013, 10:55 AM
I love, love, love Don's voice. Smoky, raspy, sexy! It was 'that voice' that I loved for years and he was my favorite Eagle for a long time. Somehow, Glenn managed to take over as my very favorite Eagle, but Don is still back there, lurking. :wink:

shunlvswx
12-31-2013, 11:48 AM
I still can't believe he sings like a tenor, but talks like a baritone. But I have seen some artist who can sing bass, but then go into falsetto. I guess Don has that too since his singing voice is very different than his talking voice.

luna65
12-31-2013, 12:22 PM
If he had to sing hard, wouldn't that had hurt his voice over the years?
He kinda did though but luckily for him not enough to fully damage his voice, just change it.

Houston Debutante
01-04-2014, 03:57 PM
Catching up on this thread, learning things I didn't know! So interesting.

Don's voice is incredible, as everybody knows. We are so lucky that his talent was discovered.

I like EIDN, I just don't like the video. Very scary.

For real, I'm with you, that video is freaky. Bet it didnt' do much to help sales.

shunlvswx
01-04-2014, 04:50 PM
Yeah. Nothing wrong with the song. I love the song. I like the meaning behind it. He's a change man. He's not like the guy he was in the 70s. Now the video is a different story. Its very freaky and scary especially the end.

Lilah
01-15-2014, 02:49 PM
I love music and listen to various genres from all eras several hours a day. Don's voice is my favorite of all time! I like a timbre and texture in a voice not a pure, clean one that leaves me cold. I can't sing a note, but I enjoy listening to those that can so much. Grace Potter has my favorite female voice, and I am loving the Civil Wars, right now. However, Don's voice will always be the one that I derive the most pleasure from…

bluefeather
01-18-2014, 05:10 PM
Timothy's voice is my favorite in the Eagles but I also like Don's very much, especially in Desperado an Wasted time, I also love Don and Tim's duet in Seven Bridges Road

sodascouts
01-20-2014, 10:09 PM
He can really turn on the sexy with that voice too in songs like "Those Shoes." :pimp:

sad-cafe
01-24-2014, 11:33 PM
yes he can and when at the end he goes Uh--shoes

very sexy

Tiffanny Twisted
01-25-2014, 09:09 AM
I could listen to this man sing the phone book:grin:

DJ
02-23-2014, 04:34 PM
My favorite part has always been when he grits his jaw and kinda
hums into the microphone. If you listen from the early days to date his voice has grown deeper and bolder. Nice..

Houston Debutante
02-24-2014, 01:54 PM
Very sexy ~