PDA

View Full Version : RIP to Glenn's Mother

WalshFan88
09-11-2013, 09:29 PM
Just saw on Fastlane that Glenn's mother, Nellie, has passed.

RIP.

Glennhoney
09-11-2013, 09:30 PM
So sad...keeping all the family members in my thoughts and prayers..xo

WalshFan88
09-11-2013, 09:31 PM
I'm glad he was able to get After Hours out before she passed as he said the record was for his parents.

May she RIP.

sodascouts
09-11-2013, 09:38 PM
She and I had a mutual friend on Facebook, so I saw it that way. I wasn't sure if I should say anything.

From all accounts, she seemed like a really cool lady. RIP.

All I can say is my thoughts and prayers are with the Frey family at this difficult time.

VAisForEagleLovers
09-11-2013, 09:38 PM
I am so very sorry to hear this. My thoughts and prayers are definitely with Glenn and the whole family.

Thirsty&Hot
09-11-2013, 09:43 PM
I'm glad he was able to get After Hours out before she passed as he said the record was for his parents.

May she RIP.

I was thinking the same thing, Austin.

Rest in Peace Nellie

Grey Sadler
09-11-2013, 09:49 PM
So sad...:(

GlennLover
09-11-2013, 10:05 PM
I was thinking the same thing, Austin.

Rest in Peace Nellie

As was I. My condolences go out to the Frey family, especially Glenn's dad. RIP Nellie.

Houston Baby
09-11-2013, 10:15 PM
My thoughts & prayers are with the Frey family. I loved the way she called him Glennie.

shunlvswx
09-11-2013, 10:18 PM
My thoughts and prayers got out to Glenn and his family. His father is still alive right?

GlennLover
09-11-2013, 10:25 PM
My thoughts and prayers got out to Glenn and his family. His father is still alive right?

Yes he is. He's in his 90's. This will be very hard on him.

Wildthyme
09-11-2013, 10:32 PM
My sincerest condolences to Glenn and his entire family. May they find peace and comfort in each other during this difficult time.

Victim of Love
09-11-2013, 10:38 PM
Thoughts and prayers to Glenn and his entire family at this difficult time.

Outlawman13
09-11-2013, 10:42 PM
My thoughts and prayers will go to Glenn's family!!! Wow must be a hard time for him. Touring and everything right now. I had the same thoughts too: glad that he got that c.d. out before she died!!! May she rest in peace and Glenn think of all the good times they shared.

Tiffanny Twisted
09-11-2013, 10:43 PM
Sad...rest in peace

zeldabjr
09-11-2013, 10:53 PM
oh so sad to hear this...She lived a long life..and I know was very proud of her son Glennie...my thoughts and prayers are with all her family and friends tonight...

Freypower
09-11-2013, 10:58 PM
I send my deepest sympathy & condolences to Mr Frey, Glenn's brothers and to Glenn and his family. From what I understand, Nellie was an abiding inspiration to her son. She will be missed.

I agree with Austin's sentiments on the release of After Hours before this occurred.

Glennsallnighter
09-12-2013, 03:10 AM
RIP to Nellie Frey.

All the Frey family are in my thoughts and prayers. It is never easy to lose a parent / grandparent whatever age and stage of life you are at. But I'm sure Glenn :heart: can rest assured that he did her proud. She appears to have been a formidable woman who lived life to the full.

And I too am delighted that Glenn :heart: was able to release 'After Hours' before be passing and that she had time to enjoy and appreciate it.

Once again, may she Rest In Peace.

And Glenn :heart: just in case you need it, here's a :grouphug: from all of us.

TimothyBFan
09-12-2013, 06:23 AM
My thoughts go out to the whole Frey family. I hope they can all get some comfort in the fact she lived such a long life and she was with Glenn through so much of his life and career.

VAisForEagleLovers
09-12-2013, 07:16 AM
And Glenn :heart: just in case you need it, here's a :grouphug: from all of us.

Definitely a :grouphug:

timfan
09-12-2013, 08:11 AM
My thoughts and sympathy are with Glenn and the whole Frey family at what is certainly a very difficult time.

GlennLover
09-12-2013, 08:56 AM
The Eagles played last night in Calgary & are scheduled to play there again tonight. This must be terribly hard for Glenn. :sad: More Border hugs for him &his family. :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

yekrut
09-12-2013, 09:47 AM
Must of been a heck of a lady.

Glennsallnighter
09-12-2013, 09:58 AM
The Eagles played last night in Calgary & are scheduled to play there again tonight. This must be terribly hard for Glenn. :sad: More Border hugs for him &his family. :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

I was aware of that too. Its not like he NEEDS to do it. How terribly professional of him. I'm sure his band mates are doing all they can to support him.

GlennLover
09-12-2013, 10:18 AM
Must of been a heck of a lady.

From everything I have read about her & have heard Glenn say about her, I believe she was.

Brooke
09-12-2013, 10:23 AM
I saw this on Fb this morning and was so sorry to hear this! My thoughts and prayers also go out to Glenn and all of his family.

Do we know the cause of death? I'm also glad he got out AH in plenty of time for her to enjoy.

RIP Nellie. :sad:

Houston Baby
09-12-2013, 10:33 AM
I remember when Roger Clemens was scheduled to pitch for the Astros the day his mom passed. He pitched that night and afterwards he broke down and said his mom loved to watch him pitch and he knew in his heart that she would have wanted him to pitch his scheduled game. He felt that he could honor his mother by pitching that night.

I imagine that this is part of what Glenn is feeling now. It must be extremely hard for him to be away but his mom loved to hear him sing and was so proud of him. I'm sure he felt her presence by his side the whole night. From what I read about his mom, she was a strong woman and I hope Glenn is getting strength from her, his family & friends and his faith now during this difficult time. My thoughts and prayers continue to be with him and his family.

shunlvswx
09-12-2013, 10:40 AM
Is their a picture of his mother flowing around or she and his father never took a picture with Glenn in public.

NYC Fan
09-12-2013, 10:43 AM
Sorry to hear this. Always hard to lose a parent, at any age.

My thoughts are with Glenn and his family.

desperado
09-12-2013, 12:16 PM
I also saw Fastlane post this to FB. Very sad, a very hard time for Glenn being out on the road touring.

my thoughts are with Glenn and his family and friends during this difficult time.

TimothyBFan
09-12-2013, 03:17 PM
I guess I didn't realize they had shows this week. At the risk of being the odd man out, I'm going to say those concerts should have been canceled and any fan who had tickets and a heart would understand why. Maybe Glenn's Mom might have understood but I'm sure the rest of the family, especially his Dad could use the comfort of having the whole family together in their time of sorrow. I know when both my parents passed, that's all that got me through it.

I wonder how he handled it. Did he tell his usual jokes? Acknowledge what had happened? This kind of saddens me. I don't know how he did it.

sodascouts
09-12-2013, 03:23 PM
I try to refrain from judging people when they've just suffered such a loss.

TimothyBFan
09-12-2013, 03:29 PM
Sorry if you feel I'm being judgmental because I'm not, I'm simply stating my opinion that in the case of such a devastating loss, I'm sure everyone would be more than understanding if they had canceled the shows so that this poor family could grieve in normalcy. I feel for this family, as many of us here know, this will be one of the toughest times of all their lives.

Topkat
09-12-2013, 03:58 PM
Very sorry to hear about Glenn's mother. Prayers for the entire Frey family.

Glennsallnighter
09-12-2013, 04:11 PM
Soda, that signature is so appropriate. Well done.

sodascouts
09-12-2013, 04:14 PM
Well, it's actually one I made when Glenn's album came out, but I figured it might be appropriate to briefly pull it back out and use it again.

Glennsallnighter
09-12-2013, 04:16 PM
Absolutely.

GlennLover
09-12-2013, 05:14 PM
Sorry if you feel I'm being judgmental because I'm not, I'm simply stating my opinion that in the case of such a devastating loss, I'm sure everyone would be more than understanding if they had canceled the shows so that this poor family could grieve in normalcy. I feel for this family, as many of us here know, this will be one of the toughest times of all their lives.

I have thought about that too, Willie. However, I don't want to judge either. We don't know why the concerts weren't cancelled. There is probably a lot more to the story than we know.

Henley Honey
09-12-2013, 05:46 PM
I remember when Roger Clemens was scheduled to pitch for the Astros the day his mom passed. He pitched that night and afterwards he broke down and said his mom loved to watch him pitch and he knew in his heart that she would have wanted him to pitch his scheduled game. He felt that he could honor his mother by pitching that night.

I imagine that this is part of what Glenn is feeling now. It must be extremely hard for him to be away but his mom loved to hear him sing and was so proud of him. I'm sure he felt her presence by his side the whole night. From what I read about his mom, she was a strong woman and I hope Glenn is getting strength from her, his family & friends and his faith now during this difficult time. My thoughts and prayers continue to be with him and his family.

Very well said, HB. It's never easy when you lose someone you love, especially a parent, but if his family is as pragmatic and practical as mine, I think the arrangements have all been preplanned. I couldn't speculate but there may not even be a funeral. There could be a cremation and celebration of life party. Who knows? It's not for us to judge how he and his family have chosen to deal with such a personal matter.

What I do know is how proud she was of Glenn when he gave his NYU lecture. The look of pride and love that shone from her face was priceless. She glowed. That tells me a lot about a special woman and mother.

GlennLover
09-12-2013, 05:59 PM
Very well said, HB. It's never easy when you lose someone you love, especially a parent, but if his family is as pragmatic and practical as mine, I think the arrangements have all been preplanned. I couldn't speculate but there may not even be a funeral. There could be a cremation and celebration of life party. Who knows? It's not for us to judge how he and his family have chosen to deal with such a personal matter.

What I do know is how proud she was of Glenn when he gave his NYU lecture. The look of pride and love that shone from her face was priceless. She glowed. That tells me a lot about a special woman and mother.

Thanks for sharing that, HH.

Freypower
09-12-2013, 06:46 PM
This is a very difficult time for Glenn & his family & I am sure he is dealing with it in a manner he considers appropriate. :grouphug: from me as well.

GlennLover
09-12-2013, 06:56 PM
This is a very difficult time for Glenn & his family & I am sure he is dealing with it in a manner he considers appropriate. :grouphug: from me as well.

You're right, FP. His mother may have wanted it this way.

Desperada
09-13-2013, 05:30 PM
This is very sad news. I pray that God will comfort Mr Frey, Glenn and the family at this sad time:grouphug:

Tiffanny Twisted
09-13-2013, 07:28 PM
thanks HH and soda...what a beautiful signature.

Losing a parent is hard.losing anyone is hard.
we all deal with things and situations in our own way.
Mine is never to judge just to give a hug and support in anyway I can

AEW21
09-15-2013, 02:55 PM
When my great-grandfather died many years back, he specifically stated in writing he wanted no memorial service or funeral--he ddin't want people people disrupting their lives for him. Just had my great-grandma sprinkle his ashes. There could have been the same request from Nellie. Or perhaps family members or other friends couldn't come at this time, either, so they agreed to a time/date conducive to everyone...? Or maybe there's certain religious considerations in their particular faith? Who knows, it's the family's business and I'm sure they've made decsions best for them in their time of grief.

That all said, my deepest condolences to Nellie's family and friends. She seemed like quite the character; I think Glenn got a lot of his humor, grit and tenacity from her. I recall those quotes she gave Cameron Crowe back in that 75/76 Rolling Stone interview about Glenn, and if his guitar had "tits and an ass" he'd never date another girl. HA! She was a straight shooter.

Glennsallnighter
09-15-2013, 04:19 PM
I love that quote! Always have! And where Glenn :heart: says in the Documentary about working with Bob Seeger. They were going to form their own band with Glenn playing bass.....

It didn't work out though......

'my Mom found me smokin pot with a friend in someones basement. She called up Seegers manager Punch Andrews and said "just a minute, not so fast"'

She was certainly a lady with a lot of spirit!

I was listening to Glenn Miller on the radio today (In The Mood) and thought of her.

Henley Honey
09-15-2013, 04:50 PM
I love that quote! Always have! And where Glenn :heart: says in the Documentary about working with Bob Seeger. They were going to form their own band with Glenn playing bass.....

It didn't work out though......

'my Mom found me smokin pot with a friend in someones basement. She called up Seegers manager Punch Andrews and said "just a minute, not so fast"'

She was certainly a lady with a lot of spirit!

I was listening to Glenn Miller on the radio today (In The Mood) and thought of her.

I love that line too, GA. . . .

Just a minute . . . not so fast . . . . .

I can picture her dragging Glenn out by his ear. Party's over, Son.

Freypower
09-15-2013, 06:43 PM
My other favourite quote from her was in the 1979 Rolling Stone cover story:

'I once told Glenn he reminded me of a rattlesnake. A rattlesnake coiled up in the corner ready to strike. If you pass by, you better listen for the rattle. Glenn loves that description. He has the courage to carry through his beliefs. It may be ruthless, but in his business you can't be a nice guy or you end up like Joe Louis'. And when he leaves for California, she says 'good luck. I can't give you anything now but love'.

GlennLover
09-15-2013, 08:54 PM
I remember all these quotes, but the "i can't give you anything now but love" quote really touched me. She didn't want Glenn to go to California, where she couldn't keep an eye on him, because she knew that he had started experimenting with drugs. She didn't approve of what he was doing, but regardless of what he did she would alwaysgive him her love. What more does a mother need to say to a son to let him know how deeply she cares? I remember reading a quote from Glenn where he stated that his parents were relieved when the Eagles broke up. They probably figured that he would live life a little less in the fastlane.

Glennsallnighter
09-16-2013, 02:18 AM
Yes, he described it as 'The Rollercoaster that was the Eagles'

cricrichan
09-16-2013, 03:50 PM
So sorry for Glenn and his family :( Such a sad news ...

granesmith
09-16-2013, 05:25 PM
I am sorry to hear of Glenn's Mother's passing. My condolences to the Frey Family. They put on a Great show in Saskatoon, Sask., Canada on 14/09/13.

Prettymaid
09-16-2013, 09:06 PM
Welcome to The Border, granesmith. I'm so glad you enjoyed your show.

My sympathies go out to the Frey family during this sad time.

FreeBirdForever
09-17-2013, 07:42 PM
:( such sad news. Wow. So sorry for him and his family's loss.

Ive always been a dreamer
09-19-2013, 01:38 PM
Well even though I'm a little tardy here, I wish to extend my heartfelt condolences to Glenn and all of his family on the loss of his beloved mother. She seemed to be one of the main influences in Glenn's life. Even though she probably tore her hair out worrying about him back in the day, in the end, I'm sure he made her extremely proud.

R.I.P. Mrs. Nellie.

I'm guessing Glenn had the proper time to respectfully lay his mother to rest during the recent break between shows. I would totally respect whatever decision he made with respect to cancelling any shows, but, honestly, I'm glad that there was a break and he didn't have to cancel any. Last minute show cancellations are not something the Eagles take lightly, and rightly so, IMHO. There are fans that travel long distances to see them, so there is a lot to consider. In any event, there will always be some that will criticize no matter what. If he didn't cancel shows, they will say he was heartless and disrespectful of his mother; and if he did cancel them, they will accuse him of not caring about his fans. I guess being judged just comes with being a public figure.

Thirsty&Hot
09-20-2013, 10:25 AM
I'm guessing Glenn had the proper time to respectfully lay his mother to rest during the recent break between shows. I would totally respect whatever decision he made with respect to cancelling any shows, but, honestly, I'm glad that there was a break and he didn't have to cancel any. Last minute show cancellations are not something the Eagles take lightly, and rightly so, IMHO. There are fans that travel long distances to see them, so there is a lot to consider. In any event, there will always be some that will criticize no matter what. If he didn't cancel shows, they will say he was heartless and disrespectful of his mother; and if he did cancel them, they will accuse him of not caring about his fans. I guess being judged just comes with being a public figure.

I was thinking the same thing

shunlvswx
09-21-2013, 08:59 AM
I saw this link online on facebook from Fastline. Here's the obituary for Mrs. Frey. She was a beautiful lady. I hope its ok to post this.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/thedesertsun/obituary.aspx?n=nellie-marie-frey&pid=167038586#fbLoggedOut

GlennLover
09-21-2013, 10:32 AM
I saw this link online on facebook from Fastline. Here's the obituary for Mrs. Frey. She was a beautiful lady. I hope its ok to post this.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/thedesertsun/obituary.aspx?n=nellie-marie-frey&pid=167038586#fbLoggedOut

Thank you. That is a lovely write up of Mrs. Frey.

Houston Baby
09-21-2013, 11:17 AM
Thank you for sharing. She seemed to have had a wonderful life and was much loved & will be greatly missed. I can see where Glenn gets his devotion to family from, his mom. And I had never seen a photo of her, beautiful woman.
My deepest sympathies to the entire Frey family.

Freypower
09-21-2013, 06:09 PM
I'm glad that was published. I wanted to sign the guest book but it was obviously meant for people who knew her. Once again, RIP.

(NB: Taylor Marie must be named for Nellie Marie, I would guess).

GlennLover
09-21-2013, 07:14 PM
I'm glad that was published. I wanted to sign the guest book but it was obviously meant for people who knew her. Once again, RIP.

(NB: Taylor Marie must be named for Nellie Marie, I would guess).

I would guess so too as Deacon Edward must be named after Glenn's dad.

Freypower
09-21-2013, 07:32 PM
I would guess so too as Deacon Edward must be named after Glenn's dad.

I didn't know that was Deacon's second name. I only knew Taylor Marie & (ahem) Otis Lincoln Douglas. Thanks for the info GL.

Glennsallnighter
09-22-2013, 04:25 AM
That's a lovely obituary. She seemed to have been an amazing lady with a wonderful sense of life and a deep regard for her family. May she rest in Peace, and once again, my sympathies to her husband, Glenn and his brothers.

Tiffanny Twisted
09-22-2013, 12:34 PM
thabks for posting
it is a beautiful obituary
may she rest in eternal pece

MaryCalifornia
09-23-2013, 11:50 AM
I did not know that Glenn's parents live in La Quinta - I was out there last weekend. So beautiful...so hot...106 degrees F last weekend. I became engaged to be married while at a friend's condo at PGA West, where the Freys live. For those who don't know the area, La Quinta is in the desert past Palm Springs. It is about 2 hours east of LA - lots of golfing. Excellent medical care. Beautiful purple mountains just outside of your door. Killer Mexican food. And, the La Quinta Resort is fantastic - it is a real Old Hollywood retreat - lots of movie stars went out there in the early and mid-1900s, and still do - I've seen pics of Timothy's family out there. Very different from Detroit and Florida, but a great place for "the elderlies", as my niece calls them.

I am sorry for Glenn and his family that his mom has passed. Sounds like she had a wonderful life.

glenneaglesfan
09-25-2013, 05:54 PM
I'm late here, but send condolences to Glenn and all his family. Nellie Marie must have been a much beloved member of the family, and it's lovely to think that she was around to get to know her grandchildren.

sad-cafe
09-29-2013, 02:57 AM
64 is a long age to be able to have your mother around. I lost my father when I was 30

RIP to Glen's mom but He had a great life with her.

Glennhoney
09-09-2014, 06:29 PM
I believe today is the first anniversary of Nellie's passing....must be a difficult day for the family...RIP

DJ
09-09-2014, 07:38 PM
Blessings to the Frey family. Loosing a Momma is tough!:angel:

GlennLover
09-09-2014, 09:52 PM
I believe today is the first anniversary of Nellie's passing....must be a difficult day for the family...RIP

GH, I was thinking about Glenn's family today as well.

shunlvswx
09-10-2014, 12:30 AM
Thinking about Glenn and his family.

I was reading her obituary from last year and I notice something. In her obituary it said, she will be remembered for home baked apple pies. Makes me think about Glenn's statement he said in HOTE when he was talking about what his parents did for a living and he said his mother baked pies at General Motors.

Glennsallnighter
09-10-2014, 03:17 AM
Yes I've been thinking of Glenn :heart: and his family this week as they reach the first anniversary of his Moms passing. I hope they are all ok. Thoughts and prayers for you all.

Brooke
09-10-2014, 10:18 AM
Thoughts and prayers for the Frey family from me, too.

DJ
09-18-2014, 05:07 PM
Thoughts and prayers to Glenn's family, it is very hard to loose your Mom! God Bless Glenn......

Glennsallnighter
09-09-2016, 03:50 PM
This has to be a hard time for all the Frey family. Thinking of and praying for all of them today

Ive always been a dreamer
09-11-2016, 02:23 PM
I'm a couple of days late, but wanted to come in and acknowledge the date of Glenn's mom's passing. I'm sure it was a sad day for the Frey family. This date will always stick with me because my beloved aunt passed away on the same day as Mrs. Frey.

shunlvswx
09-11-2016, 05:02 PM
I wonder how Eddie is doing and holding during these last 7 months. Losing his wife 3 years ago and then losing Glenn this year.

GlennLover
09-11-2016, 07:47 PM
I wonder how Eddie is doing and holding during these last 7 months. Losing his wife 3 years ago and then losing Glenn this year.

My heart goes out to him. I can't imagine how hard it must be for him.