PDA

View Full Version : I need some help from my fellow Eagles lovers

SoaringRockyMountainWay
10-02-2013, 08:33 AM
Everyone at school says I'm crazy for liking the Eagles and I should get a knew hobby. They say that their songs are horrible and that they hate Joe Walsh which is stupid because they don't even know who he is. It really made me mad that they said these things so I started a big debate with them to prove them wrong. I told them about the Eagles' grammy's and being in the world record books for the biggest selling album in the 20th century. Does anybody have an idea of something else I could say? I don't want them making fun of the Eagles!!!!!

thelastresort
10-02-2013, 09:02 AM
Don't listen to the people at school. I got a lot of flack (more banter than hostility though) at college (UK college, I think the UK / US definitions are different) for liking what I do - essentially bands like Eagles, CCR, Deep Purple, The Who, ZZ Top, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest and Saxon, but at the end of the day I still went home and listened to them for hours and loved it. Everyone is different and I think some people in the world have a tough time realising that. Just rise above it, carry on doing what you're doing and enjoy the Eagles. :headbang:

Houston Baby
10-02-2013, 10:23 AM
Good advice above SRMW! I think as Eagles hardcore fans, we all have taken some ridicule about it. I know I have. As I have gotten older and hopefully somewhat wiser, my response has gotten alot more calmer. Now I usually just smile and tell whomever that I consider them to be the best band EVER and the Henley/Frey writing team to be one of the best IF not the best. Their music touches my soul but I realize that others might not feel that way and that is ok. And I usually always offer them a chance to listen to any of my Eagles cds and then they can give me an opinion. Our guys are worth standing up for but I am not going to be sucked into an argument with someone who does NOT know Eagles music.

There are always just going to be haters out there so don't let it bother you. That is what I love about The Border. I can come to this place and simply gush over our band and how happy their music makes me and get NO rebuttals!

Hang in there SRMW!!! :headbang:

prayfordaylight
10-02-2013, 10:49 AM
Ignore them as best you can. I was definitely an outcast in school (late 90s/early 00s) for not liking popular music or movies. I loved Fleetwood Mac, The Who, The Eagles, etc. and I still think Leonardo DiCaprio is ugly. Be true to yourself and they'll move on. Your true friends will like you however you are.

randymeisnerrocks
10-02-2013, 12:23 PM
I am lucky enough to have went to high school in the early 80's when muscial styles were all over the map and not only was OK to be different, it was encouraged. Plus, we weren't all that far removed from when the music originally came out. Add to that the fact that my high school mascot was an Eagle (so anything conneted to that was cool at my school) AND I'm from the South (where you can't swing a cat down here without hitting an Eagles fan) and you will see it was always easy for me.

My advice is to love whomever you want to love without worrying about others' opinions. You don't have to defend your musical choices nor convert others. Life is about making your own choices and your own way.

Ive always been a dreamer
10-02-2013, 12:27 PM
I agree with pretty much everything that has been said here. As HB said, these folks, obviously, aren't the most reliable source since they haven't ever listened to most of the band's music. Just remember, any band that is still thriving and is one of the top touring acts in the world after more than 40 years must be doing something right. So you don't owe anyone any apologies for your good taste in music. :thumbsup:

Brooke
10-02-2013, 03:09 PM
SRMW, I agree with most of what everyone has already said too! Music is an individual thing and you like what you like and shouldn't have to defend it to anyone! (Although, I can't understand why anyone would like rap :shock:) But to each his own!

And I congratulate you on a fine choice! Obviously, you are not alone! :wink: Especially here!

GlennLover
10-02-2013, 03:15 PM
No, the Eagles have millions of fans so you are certainly not alone, SRMW! keep on enjoying their music.

randymeisnerrocks
10-02-2013, 03:33 PM
And you can enjoy them for a lifetime! It will never get old, I promise...

Glennsallnighter
10-02-2013, 03:34 PM
Absolutely. At my age the Eagles are (just about) old enough to be my father. The younger teachers in my school tell me their PARENTS like the Eagles. Hell, my students tell me their GRANDPARENTS like the Eagles.

But like millions of others, I love them. Much better than Justin Bieber or the latest craze 1Direction.

AND when an Eagles key ring appeared in lost property last week.... Well they all knew who it belonged to!

(My keys had been stolen 18 months ago and they were on that key ring!)

SoaringRockyMountainWay
10-02-2013, 05:13 PM
Thank you for all the great advice. I will keep all of it in mind. All the other girls in my class like 1d. I don't know what they see in them. I personally think that Don Henley's and Glenn Frey's song writing can't be beat and Joe Walsh's guitar playing is amazing. My friends just don't understand what Eagles' songs got me through. Their songs are great and I don't know what I'd do without them. If they can't see that I love the Eagles and their awesomeness that's their problem. I will go on with my life and listen to the Eagles every night. I will always think the Eagles are the best band ever.

Prettymaid
10-03-2013, 06:49 PM
AND I'm from the South (where you can't swing a cat down here without hitting an Eagles fan)

:rofl: Such a cute saying! It IS just a saying, isn't it? :worried: Lol!

sodascouts
10-03-2013, 09:51 PM
SMRW, don't let the haters get you down. Years from now they'll be embarrassed about liking 1d, just like I get embarrassed about liking New Kids on the Block. By contrast, the Eagles have stood the test of time and always will!

Don't feel the need to defend yourself for liking the Eagles. If those guys don't listen to the same music, it's their loss but it's no skin off your back. If they're being jerks about it, dump them and find cooler friends.

Witchy Woman
10-04-2013, 01:28 AM
I've always liked what I like, and could give a damn what others think. I don't live on this Earth to please anyone else but myself. Eff anyone who tries to make you miserable.

thelastresort
10-04-2013, 05:44 AM
On a similar note I was discussing music over a few beers last night with my new university flatmates and they just talked non-stop about dubstep, club, trance, house, garage music etc. I mentioned the Eagles when it turned to my musical interests and one bloke actually said they were 'awesome' (I think, I was quite inebriated by this stage). That led to a discussion about how good they thought Rush, Lynyrd Skynyrd and The Who were, amongst others :D Just goes to show ya never know what people keep quiet when it comes to stuff like this, listen deeply enough at school / work and you might find some more ;)

The rest of their comments on the Eagles was basically how much of a 'great tune' HC was but how none of them (and therefore everyone on planet Earth) knew any other Eagles song.

randymeisnerrocks
10-08-2013, 04:38 PM
:rofl: Such a cute saying! It IS just a saying, isn't it? :worried: Lol!

Yes, Mai'm, it's just a Southern expression. I actually like cats very much.