PDA

View Full Version : Hell Freezes Over: Your Favourite Moments!

Mrs Frey
07-27-2007, 07:39 AM
I watched my "Hell Freezes Over" DVD again last night, and I enjoyed it so much that it got me thinking about all my favourite moments in this marvellous show. The idea then dawned on me to ask all of you what YOUR favourite moments are. I will list a few of mine now (and I apologise in advance for any Glenn :heart: bias that I may show in doing so! :blush: ):

1. Joe Walsh and Don Felder's magical guitar solos on "Hotel California"
(Marco, I know you will enjoy that moment too! :wink: )
2. Those first close-ups of Don Henley singing "Hotel California". He looks
great :heart:, but there's a look of uncertainty in his eyes as he sings -
probably a few nerves - that I find very endearing.
3. The first close-ups of Glenn :heart: as he
sings "Tequila Sunrise"... :smitten: oh my goodness,
gracious me... :fainting: The camera person (note my political correct-
ness here :wink: ) must have been a Glenn :heart: fan, as note how
much closer Glenn's :heart: close-ups are than any other
Eagle's! :shock: Mrs Frey is not complaining... :wink:
4. "The Heart Of The Matter". Don Henley's vocal is pure magic, and this
is such a beautiful song. It often brings me to tears. I love the vocal
harmonies, particularly when the boys sing "Forgiveness". And check
out Glenn's :heart: intensity as he sings it! :inlove:
5. "Help Me Through The Night". Joe's finest song and vocal in HFO, in my
humble opinion. Joe looks great in HFO, by the way :D. When they
do the last "ooh ooh" to end the song, check out Glenn's expression -
closed, intense eyes, furrowed brow, open mouth... :fainted: Help me
through the night, indeed... :twisted:
6. "Love Will Keep Us Alive". This is such a beautiful song, which Timothy
sings equally beautifully. WOW.
7. "The Girl From Yesterday". GLENN :heart:. Enough said.
8. "Get Over It". I absolutely love Don Henley's vocal, and this is one of
my favourite songs in HFO, and probably one of my all-time Eagles
favourites. It ROCKS, literally, especially with those three blistering
guitar solos from Frey, Walsh and Felder. Glenn's :heart: intro and first
solo is breathtaking, and so is his performance... oh, my gosh... :drool:
He's probably at his sexiest here...
9. I think I'd better finish off now! And what better way to do it than with
the final song on HFO: "Desperado". One of Don Henley's finest vocals,
and he does it just as well here as on the original record. I love the way
he holds the note on "You better let somebody lo-o-o-ove you" at the
end - it kind of makes my heart ache. Then there's Glenn :heart: on
piano... and those elegant fingers... and that intense
expression... :sigh:

I think that's about it! :blush: Please let me know your special moments! :D

Sexy Girl
07-27-2007, 08:26 AM
Nice topic, MF :D - though I'm sure that tomorrow you will find many more moments and the day after tomorrow even more ...

OK, only a few since I don't have much time while packing my bags 8)

The pre-show moment with Glenn and Joe when Glenn is so nervous and Joe pets his shoulder (though I think Glenn's shirt is butt-ugly :shock: :D )

The pre-show moment in the caravan yard when Glenn says something like "remember, ...?" - his laugh is so typical and so contagious.

The intro to Tequila Sunrise: what Glenn says in that deep voice which is NOT his singing voice and the guitar intro when Glenn turns round and gives Scotty a smile.

Glenn and Don together during the intro to "Learn To Be Still".

The way Glenn looks at Don or at a spot in space - wherever - while sitting at the piano during Don's intro to "New York Minute".

The way Glenn introduces TIE, "...and here is how it all started" - oh my, a favorite of all time!!

The "speech" of Glenn when he thanks his bandmates and the audience - he's still a little nervous, somehow sheepish, but he warmed up to the situation. The way he runs his hand through his hair is too cute. And his smile just priceless.

There are SO MANY more and I have NO TIME :evil:
cu guys!!

Mrs Frey
07-27-2007, 09:40 AM
You're so right, SG. Thanks for this response! :D Yes, two of your moments are two I forgot, actually. When Glenn :heart: is so nervous before the show and Joe tries to reassure him... I LOVE that. The intro to TIE - absolutely! And when Glenn :heart: addresses the band before the show, he says: "Good to be witcha - hope I'm witcha all night!", to plenty of laughter! 8) I really enjoy that part too.

I beg to differ, though, regarding his rehearsal shirt - I actually think it's quite nice!

Two more moments: that majestic stance when the boys are rehearsing "Take It Easy", and Glenn :heart: says "I'm still hearing a lot of drop-off..."

When Don Henley introduces "New York Minute" - I know which part you're referring to - he looks quite moved as Don talks about their being happy to be friends again. That's a great moment indeed :applause:. I can't wait for more responses to this! :D I'm going to have withdrawal over the weekend. Go safe on your trip, SG!

Brooke
07-27-2007, 10:45 AM
Good idea, Mrs. F!

All of the moments listed are wonderful, but I think my very favorite of all is when Don is standing at the mic talking before singing Get Over It (I think) and he is playing with his fingers and he says "people ask why we got back together and he kind of laughs and shrugs and says I don't know!" He is just sooooo cute there! :smitten:

I think this screen cap is of that moment:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/desperado74/Henley/Idontknow.jpg

Marco
07-27-2007, 11:06 AM
1. Joe Walsh and Don Felder's magical guitar solos on "Hotel California"
(Marco, I know you will enjoy that moment too! )

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah :lol: :rofl:

I like not only the MTV but all the tour.

DON FELDER is a great guitarist, MORE that the new ADDITIONAL MEMBER
steuart smith (I think that`s his name)

sodascouts
07-27-2007, 12:52 PM
The moments you've all named are all so wonderful. That DVD is magnificent, even if it is short on Glenn.

This is such a coincidence, as I was just watching this DVD last night!

I too love the "stance" shot of Glenn while they're rehearsing Take It Easy, and that sweet moment between him and Joe when he looks so tense and Joe pats him on the back. I have no problem with the shirt either... I think it hangs quite nicely. ;)

I always laugh at Don's reaction when Glenn says during the intro to Tequila Sunrise that they probably wrote it on a Wednesday.

MF, what you've said about HOTM goes for me, too. It's so moving a song on its own, but when you add the harmonies of other Eagles and the poignancy of the moment... and I love to pick out Glenn's voice on "forgiveness" because he pronounces it just a bit differently from everyone else. "FERgiveness... FERgiveness..." It really is special to hear them going back and forth like that.

"Help Me Through The Night". Joe's finest song and vocal in HFO, in my humble opinion. Joe looks great in HFO, by the way :D. When they do the last "ooh ooh" to end the song, check out Glenn's expression - closed, intense eyes, furrowed brow, open mouth... :fainted: Help me through the night, indeed... :twisted:

I also agree about HMTTN! Joe sounds and looks magnificent. As for Glenn - just last night I was struck by that last "ooh-ooh" of the song, the very moment you mentioned, with that expression and that mouth... When you wrote this here I thought "Wow, it's like she read my mind!" I also find Joe's performance on Pretty Maids riveting.

The Girl from Yesterday... oh the hotness!!

SG, that intro to Learn to Be Still always makes me smile, too. I also love the bloopers from that song in the credits. Glenn's laugh!

When Glenn intro's Take It Easy, it always feels like it's time to start having fun! When I first watched it I thought "Finally, an uptempo song!" lol Check out triceps as he plays, too (PLS pointed that out to me lol). I also love that fingers-through-hair moment. It's very sexy.

I love Glenn on the piano at Desperado, and really any other time he is there.

Some others that haven't been mentioned:

1) The opening credits where they show brief shots of them from rehearsals with their names over them. For some reason I really love that brief footage - Joe and Felder playing around, Don with his sunglasses, Tim and his two fingers, Glenn with that great blue shirt and his lips on the mic...

2) The way Don makes this little moan after "Mercedes bends" and the way he sings "sweet summer sweat" in Hotel California - so sexy!

3) The look on Tim's face during I Can't Tell You Why's guitar solo, where he closes his eyes and looks really "into it". Also, when he flings his hair during Wasted Time as he sings "aaah".

4) The way Don goes high on "lost" during the last verse of LITFL.

5) The moment when all the band members kind of congregate at the drums for Life in the Fast Lane. That just screams "Eagles-as-unit" and it just seems so RIGHT.

BTW, I had forgotten two of the moments SG mentioned - the "remember" and the NYM moments - and it gave me an excuse to go back and watch those bits one more time. I have to agree - they're great!

Ive always been a dreamer
07-28-2007, 01:25 AM
I have to agree with just about everything that has been written here. Here are some other 'moments' that come to mind that haven't been mentioned that I love:

- Tim's infamous Are you pukin'?

- Joe talking about wanting to prove that they can still rock.

- Felder talking about getting back into the "Eagles pressure cooker".

- The whole segment with Don working with the orchestra, but particularly at the end when Glenn joins him.

- When Glenn sticks his tongue out at the camera as he is coming out of the trailer.

- When Don comes out of the trailer looking for his partner and calling out "Glenn, Glenn".

- The way Don cut's his eyes over at Glenn during Hotel California, and later how he smiles at Tim.

- The way Don and Glenn look at each other during Tequila Sunrise.

I guess this is enough for right now. I know there are some I missed. You all have inspired me to watch the DVD again. :wink: :wink:

sodascouts
07-28-2007, 01:40 AM
- When Don comes out of the trailer looking for his partner and calling out "Glenn, Glenn".

lol! I put this in my earlier post and then deleted it, thinking folks would think I was silly for finding that moment cute! Glad I'm not the only one.

JoeFan
07-28-2007, 05:46 AM
I really like the looks on Joe's face as he plays Life in the Fast Lane, and the way he plays it with nonchalant control, he makes it look so effortless.

Maleah
07-28-2007, 10:56 AM
Well I might as well not repeat everything because I agree with everything! :lol:

I will say though, that one of my favorite moments is at the end with the bloopers. The look on Don's face when he screws up the song is adorable and Glenn's laugh is SO contagious! I love it!

I totally agree about Joe playing LITFL....it looks SO effortless that it's ridiculous! lol

Ok..I WILL point out some of my fav.'s that others did as well :P

Get Over It - Love the introduction and Don's attitude when he sings. Love how Glenn kinda leans and then steps back as the guitar solo starts after the chorus.

Hotel California - LOOOOVE Don's smile when he looks over at Timothy! Someone also mentioned the insecure/nervous look in his eyes as he was singing and I totally saw the same thing. I loved the little looks between all of them during this song.

Back to LITFL - I too enjoy the little high part that Don does on "lost." i also love the part after all the "life in the fast lane" parts near the end, when he speeds it back up with the drums before the guitar solo's.

I love the entire beginning backstage stuff! Tim mentioning that he's "off to work" and "are you pukin' " are very cute.

DonFan
07-28-2007, 02:41 PM
What a great idea for a thread! I agree with most everyone's comments, especially these from dreamer:

- Tim's infamous "Are you pukin'?"

- Joe talking about wanting to prove that they can still rock.

- The way Don and Glenn look at each other during Tequila Sunrise.

And Soda's comment about the beginning segment, where they are all goofing around; and at the end, where Glenn cracks up and teases Don about blowing the words to the new song.

The beginning segments where they are all talking informally are all great--love it when Glenn is shaking their hands and says "Glad to be with you--hope I'm with you all night!" and they all laugh.

That reminds me of a cute moment on Don's Inside Job DVD, where he is talking at the beginning of the DVD about songwriting and says: "When you really can't come up with the right word, there is no substitute for the word 'baby.'" :wink:

Freypower
07-28-2007, 11:12 PM
I pretty much agree with all this so I will add a couple of comments about Glenn The Band Leader.

Because he doesn't sing much :cry: you have to watch what else he is doing. His speeches are classic, in particular the 'I wanna thank all you guys' moment. He is very nonchalant about it but he is obviously running the thing even after an absence of 14 years. That is why the incident with Joe is so moving. For once you see a crack in his facade. It gets me every time. There are other hints of nerves elsewhere.

I like watching the way he watches the other musicians. This is particularly evident during Life In The Fast Lane but also while he is playing keyboards. He is keeping an Eagle (what else) eye on proceedings. When he comes over to help Don out during the New York Minute rehearsal segment he obviously wants them to get on with it.

The interaction between Glenn and Don is great to watch. It is so good to see them being friends again. I love how they look at each other during Tequila Sunrise and Learn To Be Still. The 'Tommy Smothers' and 'probably a Wednesday' moments are priceless, as is Glenn's face during Don's 'I don't know' speech.

The pep talk at the start is wonderful, though you can tell how nervous he is by the way he slams the trailer door. 'Hope I'm witcha all night' seems to me just what was required.

He doesn't do a bad job during his lead vocals either. I love how he stands. I love listening to him.

I know this is all about Glenn and I do watch the others as well, but this is what I wanted to say about HFO.

EasyFeeling
07-29-2007, 04:34 AM
I really enjoyed what you all have written about the favourite HFO moments. :D I can hardly add something, nothing was left over. Reading this makes me want to watch HFO today which is the best I can do because it's raining all day. :wink:

07-29-2007, 03:40 PM
That reminds me of a cute moment on Don's Inside Job DVD, where he is talking at the beginning of the DVD about songwriting and says: "When you really can't come up with the right word, there is no substitute for the word 'baby.'" :wink:

DF, that is very prophetic, indeed. :D You are always coming up with such great quotes from Don. Have you thought of compiling them and sending them to Soda so she could start a "Quotable Henley" page on DonHenleyOnline similar to the one she has for Glenn. JMHO, but I think it would great.

sodascouts
07-29-2007, 04:08 PM
That's a good idea, dreamer! You've found so many quotes, DF, that archiving them would be worthwhile. If you want to copy them into one document and categorize them for me, I'll put them up when I get back from visiting my parents (I leave Tuesday).

Freypower
07-29-2007, 10:43 PM
Another sweet moment is Joe's 'It's so sad! Aaah!' before Pretty Maids. Also Don pounding his drums during both this song and later during Take It Easy when he looks like he's having a really good time.

Glenn gives the roadie who hands him his guitar before Help Me Through The Night a nice smile, and Don does this 'calm down' thing with his hands to the audience.

Mrs Frey
07-30-2007, 07:37 AM
MF, what you've said about HOTM goes for me, too. It's so moving a song on its own, but when you add the harmonies of other Eagles and the poignancy of the moment... and I love to pick out Glenn's voice on "forgiveness" because he pronounces it just a bit differently from everyone else. "FERgiveness... FERgiveness..." It really is special to hear them going back and forth like that.

"Help Me Through The Night". Joe's finest song and vocal in HFO, in my humble opinion. Joe looks great in HFO, by the way :D. When they do the last "ooh ooh" to end the song, check out Glenn's expression - closed, intense eyes, furrowed brow, open mouth... :fainted: Help me through the night, indeed... :twisted:

I also agree about HMTTN! Joe sounds and looks magnificent. As for Glenn - just last night I was struck by that last "ooh-ooh" of the song, the very moment you mentioned, with that expression and that mouth... When you wrote this here I thought "Wow, it's like she read my mind!" I also find Joe's performance on Pretty Maids riveting.

The Girl from Yesterday... oh the hotness!!

Thank you ALL so much for your responses to this! I'm glad you enjoyed the topic.

Soda, I could've quoted your entire post here, but for the sake of length, I decided to pick a select few comments to respond to. You know, I've never noticed that Glenn :heart: pronounces "forgiveness" as "FERgiveness" - I'm going to listen out for that when I get a chance to watch HFO again!

It's also amazing that we were thinking along the same lines regarding Joe's HMTTN, AND we watched it on the same day, if not the same time. Great minds, and all that, hmm, Soda? :wink: I also enjoy Joe's "Pretty Maids..." performance. Yes, FP, his intro to that is very cute. I've always thought he said "This song is so beautiful...", while pretending to cry. Perhaps I heard incorrectly. :?:

Soda, as for TGFY: oh, the hotness, indeed! I couldn't have put it better myself! :inlove: I've probably mentioned this before in other threads, but this was the song that made me fall HARD for Glenn :heart:. It's the performance that got me interested enough to do an Internet search for him... and the rest is history!

Yes, that "Learn To Be Still" intro in the show by Don and Glenn :heart: is adorable - "We wrote it about an hour ago!" :lol: The blooper footage is even better, with Glenn's :heart: great laugh, straight from his heart, which to me shows his great affection for Don. It's therefore quite a poignant moment too. I love Don's response to Glenn's "I thought you didn't know the third verse - that was only the second verse!"

"No, I know the third verse..." says Don, with a combination of matter-of-factness, a faked wounded ego and amusement. I LOVE it! :hilarious:

Glenn's :heart: "...probably a Wednesday" comment is classic, along with Don's amusement. Another poignant moment emphasising the strong bond between those two. Awwwww... Heart-warming stuff.

Then there's Glenn's :heart: fingers-through-the-hair moment. Siiiiiiiiiigh... Soda, I must check out Glenn :heart: playing on "Take It Easy" - I haven't taken notice of his triceps there... :blush: I also love the way Don smiles as they launch into the song. I know why you love the opening credits - I love them too...

Don's moan after "Mercedes Bends" is special to me, too - whenever I perform this song with the band, I make a point of duplicating the moan. It's just got to be there, otherwise it won't sound right! :blush: I can't claim to sound as sexy as Don doing it, but I do try... :wink:

The band congregating around the drums for LITFL is special, indeed. Has anyone ever noticed the riff they play to end that song? It sounds to me like the riff that runs through The Beatles' "Day Tripper". They also congregate around the drums to end "The Last Resort". I particularly enjoy Glenn's :heart: energy there.

Brooke, Don's "I Don't Know!" moment is great, particularly with Glenn's "Good question!" in support! :lol: That's a great screen cap, by the way... :heart:

Dreamer, I always laugh at the moment when Don is listening to the orchestra, and he says to the camera, "these trained musicians... trained...", and then tells the conductor that they are playing like white people :lol: - "It doesn't have the blues, man..."

When Glenn :heart: pulls out his tongue coming out of the trailer, that to me is his John Lennon moment. John made a habit of making faces at cameras as he passed them, particularly at airports. I think Glenn :heart: would enjoy that comparison! I also love Don's smile at Tim during HC, and believe me, Dreamer and Soda, when Don calls out to Glenn :heart: as he comes out of the trailer, my heart just melts... Awwwww...

JF, Joe's guitar solo on LITFL not only seems effortless, it's thrilling! :D

Maleah, I too enjoy Tim's "off-to-work" comment. The way he says it is almost to reassure those who think he might be goofing off! :lol:

FP, that moment where Joe reassures Glenn :heart: is moving indeed. Glenn :heart: sure seems to put a lot of pressure on himself - he is such a perfectionist (I can identify... :wink: ). He makes me want to comfort him... :blush: You also said something that pretty much sums up the way I think everyone on this Board feels about Glenn :heart:, or any of the other Eagles, for that matter: "I love listening to him". ABSOLUTELY.

One more thing: does anyone know why Glenn :heart: is the only Eagle not interviewed before the show? Apart from Sugar singing only three songs, that is the only other downside to HFO from my point of view :( .

Phew, I waited the whole weekend to discuss this genius DVD with you all (or y'all as Don says in LITFL!) and boy, have I had a good time! Thanks, everybody!! I can't wait for more comments (there will always be more!)! :D

sodascouts
07-30-2007, 12:04 PM
I think the reason Glenn wasn't interviewed was that he was recuperating from his colon operation. You can read more about that here: The Great Gastro-Intestinal Saga of Glenn Frey (http://www.glennfreyonline.com/articles/illness.htm)!

Freypower
07-30-2007, 11:40 PM
They do play the Day Tripper riff at the end of LITFL.

I think Joe does say 'so beautiful' or whatever.

I guess people are also fond of Tim hugging Jean.

Another favourite moment of mine is after the instrumental break in TGFY when Glenn walks back to the mic. :blush: Also the way he waves to the audience at the end.

Glennsallnighter
08-09-2007, 06:25 PM
MF next time you are going to post a topic like this please oh please give me ample notice so I can plan my holidays around it :lol: :hilarious: However better late than never. I'm not going to reiterate everything everyone else has said, although I can identify with all of them. I have a list of 14 special moments. but as many are repeats of others mentioned, I'll just put in a few of my favourites. So in order

1. Glenn :heart: singing TGFY. From his introduction, where he dedicates his 'new song' to JD souther, the intensity in his voice and his face as he sings it, the way he steps back to allow Joe to do his guitar piece, and how close his mouth is to the mic.

2. Take it Easy, both Glenn' :heart:s famous 'And here's How it allllll started', his 'Alright' in the middle of the song, and just the song itself. Its like the lads used it to announce to the world 'We're back' :D IMHO its a song of sheer joy exuding energy from each band member. See Don's big grin at the start as well

3. Glenn :heart: introducing the 'new material' they are going to put forth. He just looks and sounds so hot in that section, and then when he hands over to Tim and Tim sings it. (Had to put that in for my 6 year old daughter who loves Tim. She'd kill me if I didn't include it.)

4. Glenn :heart: on the piano as Don sings 'Desperado' Absolutely perfect!

5. Glenn :heart: s infectious laugh during the end credits or epilogue as he says 'This is TV' and then himself and Don banter over the second and third verses. I too love the light blue shirt with the jeans that we see in the end credits and at the start where the band members are introduced

There are many more moments which I love, but these are probably the best and most memorable. And I make no apology for the Glenn :heart: bias! Hope you like them MF :D

Mrs Frey
08-10-2007, 07:30 AM
MF next time you are going to post a topic like this please oh please give me ample notice so I can plan my holidays around it :lol: :hilarious:

And I make no apology for the Glenn :heart: bias! Hope you like them MF :D

LOL, GA! I'm sorry that I posted this topic while you were on holiday, but after having watched HFO that particular evening, I was so inspired that I just HAD to do it as soon as possible! :blush:

No, you don't have to apologise for the Glenn :heart: bias - Mrs Frey understands how you feel. My favourite moments largely involved Glenn :heart: too, although I did include the others as well! Yes, I loved your moments, GA, especially points 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5... that's all of them, though, isn't it? :wink: Okay, I ESPECIALLY enjoyed point 3, regarding Glenn's :heart: hotness as he talks about putting forth new material. He sounds so commanding and in control there... OH! :heart: Be still, my heart... :blush:

EasyFeeling
08-10-2007, 01:48 PM
I really enjoyed all your HFO moments. :D I think there is not a single moment left you haven't mentioned. At least I can't remember of any. :wink: Ummmm... I didn't plan anything for tonight so I think it's time to watch HFO again. :D

Glennsallnighter
08-11-2007, 03:00 AM
An Excellent plan EF! Enjoy :D

katherine5832
01-16-2008, 11:41 PM
I finally got my HFO DVD back from my co-worker who has had it since before Christmas. I watched it tonight - can you say "withdrawals?" - and can now add my own two cents on this topic. Just as some of the above comments were Glenn-centric, my favorite moments are Don (Henley not Felder)-centric.

I love Don H.'s red and gray plaid shirt. I think that's got to be my favorite of his plaids - and he has a lot, doesn't he? And the black jeans - yowza! :shock:

I just love Don's look - period. The wardrobe, the eyes, the hair, the eyes, the smile, the eyes, the eyes, the eyes....did I mention the eyes? Nice work camera crew! There were plenty of "oh my sweet Jesus" moments!

Moments that made me smile :D : Don smiling at Tim during HC, his huge smile/laugh at the beginning of Take It Easy (it made him look so boyish), his little smirk after introducing Get Over It, all of his intense "drum-playing" grimaces :x

Moments that made me swoon :fainted: : Watching him play the drums especially on Life in the Fast Lane, The Last Resort - I think he looked particularly sexy during this number, Get Over It - damn, he rocked in this song!

I have a question about the credits. I noticed for the first time that Best of My Love is listed in the final credits. When I saw that I thought to myself, "Whoa! Did I black out for a few minutes while watching this?" It, of course, is not on the DVD, but I thought it was interesting that it was listed. Does anyone know the story behind that? I'm assuming it was edited out (bummer!), but were any other songs in the original performance and then edited out (but not listed)? That's a real shame that BOML didn't make the cut.

Freypower
01-16-2008, 11:51 PM
Don was not happy with the performance of BOML and so it was omitted.

The other songs that were omitted were One Of These Nights, Heartache Tonight, Peaceful Easy Feeling and Lover's Moon. Anyone who has heard the versions of PEF and Lover's Moon can tell you that they should have been included.

Mrs Frey
01-18-2008, 08:01 AM
FP, I agree with you particularly about PEF. The "Second Night" version makes me melt... :heart: :sigh:

sodascouts
04-25-2014, 08:09 PM
This thread is freaking ancient, but I thought I would revive it since 20 years ago today, the Eagles started filming Hell Freezes Over in Burbank, CA! What an epic day this was!!!!

Tiffanny Twisted
04-26-2014, 12:59 PM
ok could someone please tell me what is this second night version I keep seeing referred to?

Midnight Visitor
04-26-2014, 01:45 PM
My favorite moment? That's easy! Help Me Through the Night in it's entirety! When they did that song I nearly fell off my seat. Wish they would bring it back.

04-26-2014, 02:38 PM
tt - The HFO DVD was filmed on two different nights. There were several songs performed that did not make the final cut on the DVD or the CD. Right off the top of my head I can think of Peaceful Easy Feeling, The Best of My Love, One of These Nights, and Lover's Moon. I guess the band wasn't satisfied wth the performances. :sad:

Anyway, it's so hard to imagine that it's been 20 years since the 1994 resumption. The second time around has lasted over twice as long as the first!

CONGRATULATIONS EAGLES!!!

Freypower
04-26-2014, 06:15 PM
Heartache Tonight didn't make the cut either.

bluefeather
04-26-2014, 06:32 PM
Help Me Through the Night stood out for me too

thelastresort
04-26-2014, 07:27 PM
I also loved HMTTN. Just a shame they never released that on the CD, I really wanted that version on my iTunes but had to settle for a version back in the 1970s when in all honesty it was about half as good.

MaryCalifornia
04-26-2014, 09:14 PM
TLR, the HFO dvd also led me to get HMTTN - I found a version that is the James Gang live on Can't Argue with a Sick Mind - I don't know if this is the one you have, but I think it's good. It's not the Eagles, but nice harmonies.

thelastresort
04-26-2014, 09:49 PM
TLR, the HFO dvd also led me to get HMTTN - I found a version that is the James Gang live on Can't Argue with a Sick Mind - I don't know if this is the one you have, but I think it's good. It's not the Eagles, but nice harmonies.

The version I've got is the YCAWASM version, however I don't think it was with the James Gang - I though Joe left them behind in Ohio at the end of the 1960s; wouldn't he have been with Vitale and co. by that point? I believe it is the Eagles (or some of them) doing back up vocals on that version - it's good, but the HFO is miles better for me.

MaryCalifornia
04-26-2014, 10:38 PM
Oh no, you're right, I was looking at Funk 49 in my phone and saw James Gang. Well, if there are Eagles on HMTTN, no wonder I think the harmonies sound good :hilarious:!

Edit: Ah yes, Frey, Henley and Felder on vocals per Wikipedia. The Joe fans probably know all of this already! Sorry! [I am a Joe fan...you know what I mean!] And this whole time I was so impressed with the sound of Joe's band's backup singing...I'm an idiot.

UndertheWire
04-27-2014, 05:36 AM
I have a studio recording of HMTTN (from So What) and it has Don H, Randy and Glenn on vocals but for the Don Kirshner concert it was Don H, Don F and Glenn and that's what's on the live recording. I guess I need to listen to all three to hear which is my favourite.

Is there any explanation of the choices for the HFO broadcast, video and CD? I've read Don Felder's comments but his focus is a little too narrow to tell me much. Based on the PEF outtake, it doesn't seem like all those songs were cut for quality (that has to be one of the best versions of that song, imo).

04-27-2014, 10:43 AM
Heartache Tonight didn't make the cut either.

Yep - Can't believe I forgot that since it is among my very favorite Eagles songs.

Is there any explanation of the choices for the HFO broadcast, video and CD? I've read Don Felder's comments but his focus is a little too narrow to tell me much. Based on the PEF outtake, it doesn't seem like all those songs were cut for quality (that has to be one of the best versions of that song, imo).

Not that I'm aware of other than a few remarks that they weren't happy with some of the live versions. ITA with you about PEF - I love that version. Honestly, it's been so long since I heard them that I can't remember much about the other songs. PEF is definitely the one that stuck in my head.

sodascouts
04-27-2014, 03:23 PM
That's my favorite arrangement of PEF, ever. I will never understand why it didn't make the cut.

Logic says they picked the stuff that they thought came out the best and would be the most marketable, but since PEF seems to fit those requirements better than some that actually DID make it, its omission is inexplicable. I would gladly trade it for NYM; that isn't even an Eagles song, and it got included. HOTM is also a solo song, but it was arranged to involve all the Eagles and it came out wonderfully. For NYM, the rest of the Eagles hover around in the shadows for most of the song. Very lame that it made the cut and PEF didn't.

MaryCalifornia
04-27-2014, 06:56 PM
They could have fixed anything they didn't like about the live performance of PEF, unless they simply decided they just didn't like the arrangement (sacrilege!). It's gotta be some other reason - I was wondering if it had anything to do with songwriting credits - but wouldn't think so, since LWKUA made it. There must be some strategic reason - maybe they thought they HAD to rely on Henley's super hits for the album to be of interest to the public at that point in time - they didn't have the benefit of knowing how successful the album would be.

thelastresort
04-27-2014, 07:05 PM
Any copies of this PEF version knocking about online? My personal fave is from Kirshner's Rock Show with Felder on mandolin.

Freypower
04-27-2014, 08:16 PM
They could have fixed anything they didn't like about the live performance of PEF, unless they simply decided they just didn't like the arrangement (sacrilege!). It's gotta be some other reason - I was wondering if it had anything to do with songwriting credits - but wouldn't think so, since LWKUA made it. There must be some strategic reason - maybe they thought they HAD to rely on Henley's super hits for the album to be of interest to the public at that point in time - they didn't have the benefit of knowing how successful the album would be.

I don't think the songwriting credit would have been a problem as it is by Honorary Eagles Songwriter Jack Tempchin.

It would not have hurt them if Glenn had had one more lead vocal.

tjh532
04-27-2014, 08:17 PM
There must be some strategic reason - maybe they thought they HAD to rely on Henley's super hits for the album to be of interest to the public at that point in time - they didn't have the benefit of knowing how successful the album would be.

This makes sense to me. Judging by the applause that his solo stuff gets during the concert, I think they relied on that to generate some interest from people who were Henley fans, but not necessarily Eagle fans.

04-27-2014, 08:51 PM
I think MC might be on to something too. Don had recently come off of the success of the highly acclaimed End of the Innocence album and they, perhaps, thought the best strategy was to take advantage of that. I think they realize more now than ever that the Eagles' success is largely due to the combined talents of all the members. While we appreciate them all as solo artists, it is their combined chemistry and talents that turn the Eagles into the special band that it is.

SilverMoon
04-27-2014, 10:37 PM
Here are the videos of the performances not included on the Hell Freezes Over DVD. The performances are good. The picture quality is very poor, but the sound quality is relatively good. My favorite performance is “One of These Nights.” Don Felder’s guitar solo is, in my opinion, one of the most beautiful solos in music history and he really does a great performance. Timothy’s bass is audible and sounds awesome. The bassline can be heard throughout the whole song, especially from after Don Felder’s solo to the end.

One of These Nights
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjA4OTUyNDQ=.html

Heartache Tonight
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDY5NDg4OTY=.html?from=y1.2-1-95.3.1-2.1-1-1-0

Peaceful Easy Feeling
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjA4OTQ3NjQ=.html?from=y1.2-1-95.3.1-2.1-1-1-0

Best of My Love
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjA4OTUzODg=.html?from=y1.2-1-95.3.2-2.1-1-1-1

Lover's Moon
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjA4OTQ4ODA=.html?from=y1.2-1-95.3.1-2.1-1-1-0

I’ll post these videos in the “Eagles videos” thread as well.

04-27-2014, 11:31 PM
WOW!!!

Thanks SM for finding these. This is awesome!!!

I agree the audio sounds great on these and I guess we'll never know what went into the final decision of which songs to edit out. Another thing I thought about that could have factored into the decision was that maybe they weren't happy with the video in these songs. You can't tell by these since the video quality is sub-standard, but maybe they didn't like the way they were shot or the lighting or something else. It may have actually had nothing to do with the audio at all.

sodascouts
04-28-2014, 12:29 AM
This makes sense to me. Judging by the applause that his solo stuff gets during the concert, I think they relied on that to generate some interest from people who were Henley fans, but not necessarily Eagle fans.

That explains HOTM, but NYM? That never got above #48 on the Billboard chart. I guess he picked that because he thought it would work best with an orchestra over other better known hits like "Boys of Summer" and "Dirty Laundry" - the real crowd pleasers from his solo career - but to have it make the cut when #1 hits like "Heartache Tonight" didn't still mystifies me. Heck, even "End of the Innocence" would have been a better pick; it was a top 10 hit.

bluefeather
04-28-2014, 07:12 AM
great!:partytime: thanks SM!

Houston Baby
04-28-2014, 08:39 AM
Thank you so much SM!! These made my week!! :partytime:

wasl89
04-28-2014, 09:06 AM
What a great find SM!:thumbsup:

UndertheWire
04-28-2014, 09:11 AM
That explains HOTM, but NYM? That never got above #48 on the Billboard chart. I guess he picked that because he thought it would work best with an orchestra over other better known hits like "Boys of Summer" and "Dirty Laundry" - the real crowd pleasers from his solo career - but to have it make the cut when #1 hits like "Heartache Tonight" didn't still mystifies me. Heck, even "End of the Innocence" would have been a better pick; it was a top 10 hit.
Perhaps Henley was trying to make a point that he was still musically relevent by choosing songs from his most recent album just as it was important to have some new songs. I like NYM a lot better than "Learn to be Still" which, imo, is the weakest song in the set.

Restless Heart
04-28-2014, 12:29 PM
Yes thank you Silver Moon! Maybe better versions will be out there someday but until then this is fine. I wish The Eagles would release an uncut version. I would buy it.

These are all awesome but I really like One Of These Nights and The Best Of My Love. I think New York Minute sounded terrific but I think an Eagles song might have been better to include too. I can see why Don would want to include material from his most recent album but The Heart Of The Matter covered that base. Can't complain though. I love New York Minute and I'm really surprised it didn't do better on the charts. Anyway Hell Freezes Over sold a lot of copies so it didn't hurt them any.

Freypower
04-28-2014, 06:42 PM
The problem with Henley's dominance of HFO is that he sings so many long, slow ballads. By the time they get to The Last Resort it really is the Don Henley Show. I thought it was ovremphasised. He should have had one more uptempo song if he had to do solo songs, such as Dirty Laundry which they subsequently did on the tour. I like NYM but as Soda said most of the band have nothing to do. The unused songs demonstrate perfectly well that Glenn should have had at least one if not two more songs.

tjh532
04-28-2014, 11:54 PM
The problem with Henley's dominance of HFO is that he sings so many long, slow ballads. By the time they get to The Last Resort it really is the Don Henley Show. I thought it was ovremphasised. He should have had one more uptempo song if he had to do solo songs, such as Dirty Laundry which they subsequently did on the tour. I like NYM but as Soda said most of the band have nothing to do. The unused songs demonstrate perfectly well that Glenn should have had at least one if not two more songs.

who knows? maybe he only agreed to do the show if they let him showcase his stuff? There was a lot of focus on him. And yes, he and Glenn are the leaders, and yes, at that point he was still the most visible member,but this was an Eagles reunion. I'm not a fan of Last Resort anyway, but by that point in the show, I was tired of it. And I love his voice.

sodascouts
04-29-2014, 12:04 AM
who knows? maybe he only agreed to do the show if they let him showcase his stuff?

I could see that happening in other bands, but not with Don and the Eagles.

Don seemed keener on the reunion than Glenn, and I think if Don had tried any strong-arm tactics like "I get at least two solo songs on the album or this reunion is off" Glenn probably would have told him "OK, it's off. Bye." Glenn had already walked out once, remember.

Don might have gotten into power struggles with Glenn in the 70s but it seems that ever since the band "resumed" he's let Glenn have the final word, even if he disagrees (one example that comes to mind: he didn't want LROOE to be a double album). I don't think Don would have pulled a diva move like that with the Eagles in 1994.

Don doesn't need to play the diva to get the Eagles to do his solo songs or to get the lion's share of the vocals. Remember that Glenn thinks Don's voice is better than his. I can see him being the one to favor including more songs with Don on lead vocals on Hell Freezes Over "for the good of the band," which is exactly what he did for Hotel California and The Long Run.

Houston Debutante
04-29-2014, 11:18 AM
IMO it was smart to feature Don, he had had the most success and is the most recognizable Eagle. You always hear people talking about how great Don's voice is, you don't hear it so much about the other Eagles except for on fan boards. It is very cool that Glenn recognizes that and doesn't let his ego get in the way, makes me respect Glenn alot.

After seeing the videos of the outtakes I do see how including Best Of My Love or One Of These Nights might have been a better choice than New York Minute although that is beautiful.

I also liked that version of Peaceful Easy Feeling and if they had had enough room it should have be3en included, but I thought Lover's Moon was boring and it wasn't their best version of Heartache Tonight although it was okay.

tjh532
04-29-2014, 01:22 PM
I could see that happening in other bands, but not with Don and the Eagles.

Don seemed keener on the reunion than Glenn, and I think if Don had tried any strong-arm tactics like "I get at least two solo songs on the album or this reunion is off" Glenn probably would have told him "OK, it's off. Bye." Glenn had already walked out once, remember.

Don might have gotten into power struggles with Glenn in the 70s but it seems that ever since the band "resumed" he's let Glenn have the final word, even if he disagrees (one example that comes to mind: he didn't want LROOE to be a double album). I don't think Don would have pulled a diva move like that with the Eagles in 1994.

Don doesn't need to play the diva to get the Eagles to do his solo songs or to get the lion's share of the vocals. Remember that Glenn thinks Don's voice is better than his. I can see him being the one to favor including more songs with Don on lead vocals on Hell Freezes Over "for the good of the band," which is exactly what he did for Hotel California and The Long Run.

I think you are right, it was just speculation on my part :) You would have to agree, though, that the show was pretty heavy on Don's solo stuff. Maybe it was an MTV decision?

Zanny Kingston
04-29-2014, 03:24 PM
tjh- you may very well be on to something with the MTV thing!! Don was very heavy in their video rotation, so that may very well have been more of a network decision or a suggestion MTV made to the Eagles, as Don was the more widely recognized member of the band at the time.

I do think it was too much Don- Never thought I would type such a thing- I also think that Glenn should have had more songs. Glenn though, as we know would do what was good for the band, so I think its possible Glenn would agree to showcase Don because of his voice and recognition factor to help bring more attention to their resumption.

I think back to a point in the documentary when they are discussing their reunion and I think Glenn says They were wondering if anyone would even bother to come and see them. He was dead wrong in a good way of course.

It was almost laughable that they were concerned that no one cared to see them again, but having expressed that doubt makes them human. Its possible they were so insulated in the 1970's that they may not have had a realistic grasp on just how big the Eagles were in that time period. Or how impactful their music was to generations of fans.

Regardless, I am still glad they got back together and stayed together. Its all of them together that make the band what it is.

sodascouts
04-29-2014, 05:21 PM
I can see why they were uncertain; not all reunions work out and it had been 14 years since they'd played. That can be an eternity in the entertainment business.

BTW while Don was in heavy rotation on MTV in the eighties and early nineties, by 1994, MTV had started getting into reality TV with The Real World and its spin-offs; they were playing fewer videos; what videos they did play were largely grunge music and more recent top 40 hits than Don's 1989 album. I know - I was still watching it back then! Nowadays I don't even bother - the channel absolutely blows.

DivineDon
04-30-2014, 12:55 PM
I know people have their favourites and you can tell I'm no exception :hilarious: but from my perspective of being a Don Henley fan from the 80s, I had no idea he had been in the Eagles. I didn't know Glenn save a few performances on Miami Vice. It had been 14 years since they 'took a break' so Don would have been the best known to a new generation from his hits. Of course they weren't to know that the diehard Eagles fans would always stick by them but if they were unsure of how they would be accepted then they had to showcase their most well known star and that was Don Henley. I think HFO was brilliant and Don was undoubtedly the star for the reasons I've outlined. Subsequently, of course, once they saw how the fans reacted to them, they were able to gain more confidence and showcase all the members. However, I don't think you can blame Don for his prominent role.

I know friends of mine who have barely heard of the Eagles when asked only recognize Hotel California and Don Henley, they haven't a clue about any of the other members including (and I know some people won't like me saying this - Glenn). Not everyone is committed to their favourites as we are, I'm afraid. :)

GlennLover
04-30-2014, 02:18 PM
One of my favourite moments has always been when Don forgets the words to "Learn To Be Still" & he & Glenn share a laugh. It was interesting to find out in the HotE documentary that that moment was a real icebreaker for the band & eased the tension from then on.

wasl89
04-30-2014, 02:22 PM
One of my favourite moments has always been when Don forgets the words to "Learn To Be Still" & he & Glenn share a laugh. It was interesting to find out in the HotE documentary that that moment was a real icebreaker for the band & eased the tension from then on.

That's also one of my favorite moments!

But the best moment for me has always been when they sang "The Heart of the Matter".
It makes me teary everytime, such a good song and wonderfully performed. :heart:

Brooke
04-30-2014, 02:42 PM
That's also one of mine, GL! They are both really cute during that! :heart:

I'm thinking I need to have another watch! Maybe this weekend!

thelastresort
04-30-2014, 06:34 PM
Been a looooooong time since I watched it, but I recall Joe, Felder, Glenn and TBS all did a bit of jumping / bobbing up and down towards the end of The Last Resort; that was fun to watch.

Also good to see Desperado with Don H. and Glenn on their respective original instruments, and Tequila Sunrise with Felder on mandolin - Bernie needs to bring that back for HOTE!

04-30-2014, 07:33 PM
I know people have their favourites and you can tell I'm no exception :hilarious: but from my perspective of being a Don Henley fan from the 80s, I had no idea he had been in the Eagles. I didn't know Glenn save a few performances on Miami Vice. It had been 14 years since they 'took a break' so Don would have been the best known to a new generation from his hits. Of course they weren't to know that the diehard Eagles fans would always stick by them but if they were unsure of how they would be accepted then they had to showcase their most well known star and that was Don Henley. I think HFO was brilliant and Don was undoubtedly the star for the reasons I've outlined. Subsequently, of course, once they saw how the fans reacted to them, they were able to gain more confidence and showcase all the members. However, I don't think you can blame Don for his prominent role.

I know friends of mine who have barely heard of the Eagles when asked only recognize Hotel California and Don Henley, they haven't a clue about any of the other members including (and I know some people won't like me saying this - Glenn). Not everyone is committed to their favourites as we are, I'm afraid. :)

I certainly don't blame Don or anyone else for showcasing Don in HFO DVD - but, I do think it was a bit of a misstep. Of course, it's always easy to second guess their decision as an outsider and with the benefit of retrospect. I'm sure they were being given tons of 'resumption' advice and did what they thought was best at the time. But, even if they thought it was a good idea to showcase Don, I think they could have done that with Eagles songs. I'm just glad they used a different approach with the live HFO shows as they were more even-handed in the distribution of face time for the other members.

And, I don't dislike your post DD, but I do disagree somewhat. IMO, the average fan that was around in the 70's and 80's probably know who Glenn and Joe are - not just the hardcores like us. However, beyond that, I agree that the younger generation may not recognize their names.

DivineDon
05-01-2014, 05:26 AM
Fair enough, like you say, we all have our own opinions :shrug:

zeldabjr
05-01-2014, 09:14 AM
one of my favorite parts is seeing them do "Get Over It"...love that song!!!

Brooke
05-01-2014, 12:15 PM
Yes, z, and that reminds me of Don's fist pump! So cute!

Restless Heart
05-01-2014, 03:55 PM
IMO, the average fan that was around in the 70's and 80's probably know who Glenn and Joe are - not just the hardcores like us. However, beyond that, I agree that the younger generation may not recognize their names.
I was born in 1980, and the only Eagles I'd heard of were Don Henley and Glenn Frey when the Hell Freezes Over reunion happened. No idea who Joe Walsh or any of the other Eagles were. Now I realize I was missing out. :)

bluefeather
05-01-2014, 04:16 PM
I'm so young I hadn't heard anything about the Eagles before I started getting into old music. HC, Desperado and NKIT were the first songs I discovered and Don the first Eagle I learned the name of, then Glenn. I also knew there were two other(original) members. I didn't know Joe and Timothy existed before I watched HOTE.

just a young newcomer's opinion:)

Houston Baby
05-01-2014, 07:58 PM
I'm so young I hadn't heard anything about the Eagles before I started getting into old music. HC, Desperado and NKIT were the first songs I discovered and Don the first Eagle I learned the name of, then Glenn. I also knew there were two other(original) members. I didn't know Joe and Timothy existed before I watched HOTE.

I'm so glad you shared your story! Interesting! :thumbsup:

MaryCalifornia
05-01-2014, 09:38 PM
Been a looooooong time since I watched it, but I recall Joe, Felder, Glenn and TBS all did a bit of jumping / bobbing up and down towards the end of The Last Resort; that was fun to watch.

Going to have to go back and check out this part, thanks!

Like many others, my parents had the Eagles Greatest Hits cassette when I was about 7 or 8, and it has permanently been in my music collection, up to the present. I eventually figured out that Don Henley and Glenn Frey were in the Eagles, but didn't know any of the others, and never knew who sang which songs. I also owned Common Thread and End of the Innocence, and that was it as far as Eagles music. I am ashamed to admit I really disliked Smugglers Blues and the Heat is On when they were on the charts, I guess I was in high school. And then I saw HoTE. And met all of you guys! (Now that I "know" Glenn, I like his songs :))

NYC Fan
05-01-2014, 10:59 PM
Not that I'm aware of other than a few remarks that they weren't happy with some of the live versions. ITA with you about PEF - I love that version. Honestly, it's been so long since I heard them that I can't remember much about the other songs. PEF is definitely the one that stuck in my head.

Was just listening to this tonight and I totally agree about PEF. Just a lovely, lovely version. Glenn's voice is gorgeous and the harmonies are beautiful. I cannot for the life of me understand why they left this off. One of my favorite songs of theirs anyway, and this is a wonderful arrangement of it. A shame it's not on the DVD.

zeldabjr
05-02-2014, 12:20 AM
of course Timothy's I Can't Tell You Why is a favorite part for me...

also I love the bit before they're going on stage Glenn says..."Gentlemen...good to be with you...hope I'm with you all night"...cracks me up every time I watch it!

DivineDon
05-02-2014, 05:23 AM

Thanks BlueFeather, that's the point I was trying to make (in my round about way!) that Don was the best known 'name' in general which was probably why they showcased him for the reunion. :)

bluefeather
05-02-2014, 10:54 AM
my pleasure DD and HB

I naturally agree with zelda about ICTYW and I like what Glenn says as well, I also love the part where Don forgets the words and Glenn howls in laughter:hilarious:

WalshFan88
05-03-2014, 12:01 AM
Song-wise - it's definitely "Get Over It" and "Take It Easy". That version of TIE may be my favorite. If we are counting the second night, definitely "Peaceful Easy Feeling" - I love that version.

Other moments I liked are the Day Tripper riff at the end of In The City. It's so cool! Only a guitar nerd like me could appreciate something so small. :hilarious:

Freypower
05-03-2014, 12:13 AM
Song-wise - it's definitely "Get Over It" and "Take It Easy". That version of TIE may be my favorite. If we are counting the second night, definitely "Peaceful Easy Feeling" - I love that version.

Other moments I liked are the Day Tripper riff at the end of In The City. It's so cool! Only a guitar nerd like me could appreciate something so small. :hilarious:

Not quite. As a Beatles fanatic I appreciated it as well.:thumbsup:

WalshFan88
05-03-2014, 12:35 AM
Not quite. As a Beatles fanatic I appreciated it as well.:thumbsup:

Glad to know I'm not the only one! :D

thelastresort
05-03-2014, 07:02 AM
That a very sly reference to Imagine there WF? ;)

WalshFan88
05-03-2014, 12:10 PM
That a very sly reference to Imagine there WF? ;)

:hilarious:

bluefeather
05-04-2014, 03:06 PM
:hilarious: