PDA

View Full Version : BJCC Arena, Birmingham, AL, November 18, 2013

Ive always been a dreamer
11-19-2013, 12:25 AM
The pre-anticipation thread has already been closed, so I went ahead and opened up a thread for this show. I talked to Soda a while ago and she was driving to Birmingham. She scored a pretty decent ticket this afternoon so she decided to drive on down for this one. I'm sure we'll hear more about it from her later.

zeldabjr
11-19-2013, 12:41 AM
awesome...I was hoping she would go!

Glennsallnighter
11-19-2013, 03:17 AM
Oh cool. I knew she had been considering going. Glad she got a good ticket!

VAisForEagleLovers
11-19-2013, 08:33 AM
I waited until after the concert started to close it! I'm glad she gave into the temptation to go.

sodascouts
11-19-2013, 09:45 AM
So I'm back at work this morning after resting for 90 minutes at DonFan's place. I never went home; I'm still wearing my clothes from yesterday. Hope nobody notices. No makeup either. Work is going to be excruciating today, but I'm glad I went.

My brain is kind of foggy from lack of sleep but I'll do my best. The guys did a good job although as a veteran I detected a few more hiccups than usual. Don showed up in his plaid and Glenn kept the over shirt on all night: first dark blue over black, then blue and yellow plaid over white. Joe wore a silver shirt the first half and then a tshirt with someone's face on it... I think Jimi Hendrix. Tim was in blue. Bernie had on a black T-shirt but I couldn't read the writing on it.

My seat was close - 6th row first tier right by the stage - but it was a side view. I was on Stu's side. However, it was still a decent seat despite largely profile action. I got to see them come on and off stage, for instance. Bernie knew someone in the crowd, called him during intermission , and got him backstage, all of which I got to see. Hey, I'll take what I can get!

The crowd was somewhat responsive but didn't stand during band intros - what the heck?! Joe was definitely a crowd favorite. Looks like he's brought back the helmet cam, only he's stuck it in a cap now.

I think Witchy Woman, Take It to the Limit, New Kid in Town, I Can't Tell You why, In the City, Those Shoes, and the Desperado Reprise were especially good. I hope there's video, despite Glenn playing texting and video police early in the show (in a funny way - "Disconnecting from your phone for two hours is a liberating experience" - but there was steel behind the smile).

At one point, Glenn gave a shout out to Muscle Shoals, which got a lot of cheers. He said he had fond memories of it; fans in the know remember he recorded part of No Fun Aloud there. I got lucky: no plaintiff joke. Instead it was "Don and I shared a house.... We didn't get a lot of writing done, but when we did, it was good. " and "we wrote it fast... We did everything fast back then." Much better. ;) They made a few other local references like being deep in the heart of Dixie. I always appreciate them customizing some of the banter. Looks like the Ted Nugent joke is part of the Detroit bit now; Glenn said if Ted gets mad he might shoot him with a bow and arrow, lol. I like the variety.

Well, it's time for me to go teach. Wish me luck!

Glennsallnighter
11-19-2013, 10:53 AM
Well done Soda, and great that you got to catch up with DF. I'd been wondering if she had been there.

GOOD LUCK teaching today. It'll be demanding, but its been sooooo worth it!

Brooke
11-19-2013, 11:26 AM
Soda, you Eagle groupie you! Glad you stayed at DF's and got a little rest!

Good luck today and thanks for the thoughts so far!

Brooke
11-19-2013, 02:06 PM
No silly questions here!

It's DonFan, one of our members that doesn't get here very often anymore.

Glennsallnighter
11-19-2013, 02:25 PM
Donfan!

She used to post a lot here. I know she lives in Alabama, so I'm not surprised to hear she was at the gig!

sodascouts
11-19-2013, 02:43 PM
Thank you Brooke. My mind works in a curious manner and I read 'little rest' and 'DF' in the same sentence and got carried away :)

No, no invitations to use Felder's guest room have been forthcoming!

Another meeting in 15 minutes that lasts an hour, and then I can head home!

zeldabjr
11-19-2013, 02:51 PM
oh Soda...you're amazing!!...that's why you're our fearless leader and we love you!!!

Houston Baby
11-19-2013, 08:35 PM
Awesome Soda! Hope you are home now & resting!

NYC Fan
11-19-2013, 09:30 PM
Soda-

So glad you were able to go. How cool for you and it sounds like it was another great show by the guys. All worth the exhaustion for the experience and the memories!

11-20-2013, 12:44 AM
Thanks for the review, Soda. Hope you are able to catch up on your sleep tonight, but I'm sure our guys were totally worth it.

sodascouts
11-20-2013, 06:15 AM
Just slept for 12 hours. That should do the trick!

Glennsallnighter
11-20-2013, 08:27 AM
Glad you managed to recharge your batteries Soda! Wonder what you dreamt about......?

sodascouts
11-20-2013, 09:35 PM
The first part of my night, I dreamt I had a long talk with modern-day Glenn. The second half of my night I dreamt of far less pleasant stuff. :(

A review with photos!

http://www.al.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2013/11/history_of_the_eagles_tour_bir.html

sad-cafe
11-20-2013, 09:48 PM
This is my birthday. Would have been awesome to share it with the guys.

Prettymaid
11-20-2013, 09:51 PM
This is my birthday. Would have been awesome to share it with the guys.

And my wedding anniversary. ;)

Brooke
11-21-2013, 11:03 AM
The first part of my night, I dreamt I had a long talk with modern-day Glenn. The second half of my night I dreamt of far less pleasant stuff. :(

A review with photos!

http://www.al.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2013/11/history_of_the_eagles_tour_bir.html

Strange turn of events in your dream there, Soda! :lol:

In the review, she did great till the end and complained about the videos! Nice pics too!

And Happy Anniversary Pm!

DonFan
11-21-2013, 03:30 PM
Hi everyone--DonFan here! I just wanted to drop in for a moment to say hello and say what a good time I had visiting with Soda Monday night! The concert was AMAZING! I went with my hubby and another couple who had never seen the Eagles before and they absolutely adored the show. My boss took his 16 yr old son and they said the same thing. He said he has taken his son to see Fleetwood Mac, Bruce Springsteen and others and he thought the Eagles were the best ever! Of COURSE. The highlight for me was when Don sang "Those Shoes"--I thought I would die right there--gave me chills! Soda and I had a great visit even though it was short, and we have promised to get together again--especially if Don ever releases that solo album that he keeps promising! Great to be on the board again, and I promise not to stay away so long next time.

Brooke
11-21-2013, 05:06 PM
Nice to hear from you again DF! I'm glad you and Soda got to connect and share a great evening!

Come back soon!

Freypower
11-21-2013, 06:05 PM
Hi everyone--DonFan here! I just wanted to drop in for a moment to say hello and say what a good time I had visiting with Soda Monday night! The concert was AMAZING! I went with my hubby and another couple who had never seen the Eagles before and they absolutely adored the show. My boss took his 16 yr old son and they said the same thing. He said he has taken his son to see Fleetwood Mac, Bruce Springsteen and others and he thought the Eagles were the best ever! Of COURSE. The highlight for me was when Don sang "Those Shoes"--I thought I would die right there--gave me chills! Soda and I had a great visit even though it was short, and we have promised to get together again--especially if Don ever releases that solo album that he keeps promising! Great to be on the board again, and I promise not to stay away so long next time.

Wow. It is so nice to hear from you again. Please stay & I'm glad you enjoyed it.

11-21-2013, 06:07 PM
Howdy from me too, DF. It so good to hear from you - you have been missed by some of us old-timers around here. Hope you do drop in more often. :grouphug:

(P.S. I knew you'd love the show, but it's great to hear that those with you loved it too.)

Prettymaid
11-21-2013, 11:50 PM
Hi DF! It's so nice to see you (and your avatar) again! Wasn't the show great? Best Eagles show ever!

DonFan
11-22-2013, 01:08 AM
Thanks Brooke, Freypower, Pretty Maid and Dreamer! Great to hear from you too! I DO think this is one of the best shows ever. I wish they had sung ONE song from LROOE though--like "How Long"? Wonder why they chose to completely ignore that album? And I still admit that I like Don in a well-tailored black suit much more than that awful plaid shirt he wore Monday. Suits would not have gone with the more relaxed vibe of this show, however. But even though I still hate the plaid, I still love the man!

Glennsallnighter
11-22-2013, 02:57 AM

Great to hear from you again DF! And I'm delighted you all enjoyed the HOTE show so much. It really is spectacular! That's a lovely highlight! Don is in great form right through this tour.