PDA

View Full Version : “The Boys of Summer” named Top Song About Nostalgia

Ollo
11-21-2013, 01:23 PM
http://consequenceofsound.net/2013/11/top-21-songs-about-nostalgia/

“Don’t look back. You can never look back,” cautions Don Henley (http://consequenceofsound.net/tag/don-henley) on his 1984 hit, right in the midst of doing a whole lot of exactly that. “The Boys of Summer” might paint an image of idyllic youth, of riding with beautiful people in cars while the sun poured down, but it’s grown around a kernel of yearning for a time when music wasn’t so ruthlessly consumed. There’s that Deadhead sticker on a Cadillac (later transmuted to a Black Flag sticker in the Ataris’ 2003 cover), a symbol of a generation’s ethos flattened to a souvenir. There’s that feeling that loving things before adulthood is less complicated, less contradictory—but once you’ve crossed over, you can never go back. –Sasha Geffen

Ive always been a dreamer
11-21-2013, 02:18 PM
Welcome Ollo and thanks for the link. Honestly, I have never even heard about half of the songs on the list, so it is hard for me to comment on it overall. And although BOS fared pretty well, suffice it to say I would have rated it higher than some of those others. And BTW - I also think Bryan Adams 'Summer of '69' should have been higher on the list. JMHO

Zanny Kingston
11-21-2013, 04:17 PM
One of my top Don songs as well. I remember the first time I heard it/saw the video- I cant say that is the case with all songs-- I was in college at the time and I was out at a club with friends and I was standing near the bar with my girlfriend when the video came on. We really liked the song.

The funny part about this is I was not paying much attention to what happened with the Eagles or even their solo careers at the time.

Brooke
11-21-2013, 05:09 PM
It's one of my favorite songs too! Great choice!

Thanks Ollo!

Freypower
11-21-2013, 06:09 PM
Glenn sort of gets a look in there with the inclusion of Caroline, No. Very strange list. I don't consider Yesterday to be about 'nostalgia' at all; it is about heartbreak. By that criterion ever single breakup song every written would be nostalgic. Brown Eyed Girl is more like it.

Ive always been a dreamer
11-21-2013, 06:23 PM
Glenn sort of gets a look in there with the inclusion of Caroline, No.

To be honest, I think that's a stretch. He didn't write the song and wasn't the original recording artist. He only covered it, same as Timothy, and several other artists.

Troubadour
11-21-2013, 08:15 PM
Interesting! Thanks for posting.

VAisForEagleLovers
11-21-2013, 08:46 PM
Welcome, Ollo, and thanks for posting! BOS makes me nostalgic at the close of every baseball season.

Freypower
11-23-2013, 10:20 PM
To be honest, I think that's a stretch. He didn't write the song and wasn't the original recording artist. He only covered it, same as Timothy, and several other artists.

I did say 'sort of'.