PDA

View Full Version : what holiday traditions are important to you?

Tiffanny Twisted
12-03-2013, 09:03 PM
I was thinking the other day as I purchased a favorite Christmas movie for my hubby on blue ray, what things just make it a holiday tradition in your families??

For us, it says Christmas when you watch the ALister Simm version of A Christmas Carol on Christmas eve after mass.

The other goofy things are a certain candy for my sons stocking (that I cant seem to find this year dang it!!!)
For me its watching Darleen Love sing Merry Christmas Baby live on David Letterman every year.

Well you get the drift and I was just wondering since we all come from all over this great world of ours.

sodascouts
12-03-2013, 09:17 PM
I love setting up the nativity scene on the mantel. My family does it while reading aloud from Luke 2 and Matthew 2.

Trimming the tree is also wonderful. It doesn't feel like Christmas until there's a tree!

zeldabjr
12-03-2013, 09:30 PM
I have to listen to my Andy Williams Christmas CD...it was my mom's favorite...and remember listening to the album as far back as I can remember...also a CD by Jim Reeves that was my Dad's favorite...

VAisForEagleLovers
12-03-2013, 09:33 PM
For me, one long-time tradition will fall by the wayside this year, since I now live 7.5 hours from my family. Way back when I was a kid, my aunts, great-aunt, and grandma would always get together and bake cookies. It was a two-day operation and there were times we'd bake 90 dozen cookies. Some were for get-togethers at church, but the rest were split up between five or six families. Sometimes those cookies lasted weeks before they were all gone! Did you know that a slice of apple in a container of cookies will soften them if they've gotten hard (or overbaked)?

In the last twenty years, it's transitioned to my mom and aunt and sister coming to my house to bake cookies (and not nearly 90 dozen). I had a convection oven at my house, and so baking cookies was a breeze. Most of the cookies are the same recipes, some written on cards and the ink is fading from age. Some new cookies have been introduced, peanut blossoms being a favorite. My sister's kids love to help decorate the sugar cookies, I have a recipe for icing that uses meringue powder and we make 16 different colors and spend an entire afternoon and evening decorating the cookies.

It will be kind of sad not to all get together for this. I'll probably bake cookies, but it won't be the same.

Freypower
12-03-2013, 10:11 PM
We decorate the tree & put the lights up inside the house.

I have two comedy shows I watch every year - Christmas With Mr Bean & Drop The Dead Donkey (a British sitcom) Christmas special. We occasionally watch the Blackadder Christmas special but it's obligatory that I watch the other two.

When we go to my mother's house for Boxing Day (Americans; this is a British & Australian holiday on December 26) I always load the iPod with a playlist of all my absolute favourite songs. This year it will be expanded to include a lot of Mike's favourites as well so that he can't complain he's been left out! Then we play it through my mother's stereo.

Ive always been a dreamer
12-03-2013, 10:23 PM
Great topic, tt.

My favorites traditions are all based around family too. For years, we start on Christmas Eve night by going to my oldest sister's house for a Christmas party. The adults exchange our gifts that night. Then, on Christmas morning, everyone gathers at my house for Christmas breakfast and watching the kids open their gifts. Then on Christmas afternoon, it's on to my youngest sister's house for Christmas dinner. Christmas dinner used to always be at my mother's home, but after she became unable to do the cooking, my youngest sister started helping her prepare it. Then, once mom contracted Alzheimer's, we permanently moved the celebration to my sister's house. Since my parents passed away, and the cemetery is in between all of the sister's houses, the family usually meets there for a Christmas visit with Mom and Pop before heading to my sister's for dinner.

Witchy Woman
12-03-2013, 11:02 PM
I don't have any specific traditions, but I don't feel like it's Christmas until I watch the obligatory movies and TV shows. I am particularly fond of The Jack Benny Show episode where he goes Christmas shopping and annoys the hell out of Mel Blanc !! Most of my family is gone, so all of that stuff went away.

prayfordaylight
12-04-2013, 09:48 AM
I have two comedy shows I watch every year - Christmas With Mr Bean

YES! I have to watch that too. I loved Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas (a Muppet special) growing up but it makes me cry too much to watch now.

What else?
- I have an advent calendar my mom made me that I use every year.
- I listen to the same Christmas playlist on my way home from dinner with my dad's family on the 24th every year. I've got the timing down pat so the last song ends as we pull into the driveway.
- My dad's family exchanges oplatek during Christmas Eve dinner. It's a Polish tradition done to wish each other health and happiness for the year ahead.
- At least one stocking gift (something small) gets exchanged on Christmas Eve night.
- I used to read The Night Before Christmas with my mom every year. Since she passed, I read it to my fiance over the phone because we're usually apart for Christmas.
- I watch A Christmas Story at least once during TNT's 24 hour marathon on Christmas Day.

Brooke
12-04-2013, 02:46 PM
Dreamer and VA, your stories brought tears. Dreamer, how sweet to visit your Mom and Pop's graves on Christmas. It is sad to think back on how you used to do things and that they have to change.

I always have to play Christmas music while decorating the tree and house. It worked out good this year since I was home alone as my husband gets really tired of Christmas music, the old scrooge! I love watching Charlie Brown Christmas, which I saw a couple nights ago, The Christmas Story, It's A Wonderful Life, and How The Grinch Stole Christmas.

We also always watch Christmas Vacation on Christmas Eve! Love it! Usually our kids come home for Christmas and spend the night at our house. This year our daughter won't be able to come, but is moving back to Missouri from Texas the first week of January, so it will be very strange for her not to be here, but at least we'll get to see her then and more often. We haven't seen her since Christmas last year after which she moved to Texas. I hope she will be settled now! We open gifts Christmas morning and my Mom has Christmas dinner in her tiny apartment. She won't give up having it, which is fine, but a bit crowded with probably 15 in a one bedroom senior apartment!

Since my husband's parents are now gone, each of his siblings are taking turns hosting the annual family Christmas get together. He has 9 brothers and sisters and the immediate family with kids and grandkids will total 100 with the birth of our grandson in January! We are hosting this year, joy! They won't all be able to come, but it will be a madhouse for a few hours on the 21st! :fear:

sodascouts
12-04-2013, 07:40 PM
100 IMMEDIATE family members?! DANG!!!!!

Tiffanny Twisted
12-04-2013, 08:18 PM
well reading everyones posts so far made me think.

I have only been celebrating this holiday for 33 years with JAHH

when we first were dating and married everything was Christmas eve at the inlaws house after his brothers fish store closed( a busy day for them 7 fishes and everything)
The my oldest neice came along so we went there on Christmas eve.

by the time we had our son, my niece got so upset one year cause my son was not in his crib at home sleeping for Santa to come and bring his presents I knew the gig was up . (besides by that time I just wanted to be in my own home on Christmas eve)
SO now it had morphed into Christmas dinner all together at the oldest brothers house.
the kids come in and out (nieces and nephews from two marriages his and hers second marriages lol)
Us adults have dinner and fun.

As my sister in law who I love dearly said again last night.
As long as we are all together that's what counts.
So I promised her I already have lots of her favorite wine for her and coffee and all her favorite things she likes.
(Its all in a reusable tote basket that is decorated in shoes, her favorite. ANd the coffee is called Joe--dark and handsome , two things my bro in law is not lol)

when our son was little I made a big deal about decorating the tree and remembering each person who gave us each ornament as we put it up.
Ornaments are a big thing between me and my son. But I found out by accident by almost throwing them away to him it would not be xmas without these three felt mice that we bought together when he was three and we were very poor and bought them in the dollar store. They are falling apart , missing eyes but for some reason , they are a treasure to him and because of that , a treasure to me too.:love:
sorry:computer:

Brooke
12-05-2013, 11:35 AM
100 IMMEDIATE family members?! DANG!!!!!

Inlaws, kids, grandkids, and great grandkids.

I know. Every day closer to the 21st and I get a little more nervous. Soda, you know there's no way my house will 'sit' that many people! If you happen to get a chair, it's best if you don't get up!

Freypower
12-05-2013, 05:56 PM
My family consists of the three of us plus my mother. :|

Glennsallnighter
12-08-2013, 04:33 PM
I guess some families are big! Some small!

We tend to put the tree and decorations up around the 8th of December. Then the kids are usually involved in various carol services over the month which we attend. Laura is singing on Friday night this year and Chris on Saturday afternoon. Once the schools close we really feel Christmas is upon us. That will be the 20th this year.

Christmas Eve we go to see the deer in the Phoenix Park in Dublin. A lot of families with small children go to give the deer a traditional 'send off'. We go to Mass Christmas Eve as well. On Christmas Day we exchange our gifts and of course Santa has come. I cook for us on Christmas Day, then the following day, known here as 'St Stephens Day' we head to my parents and family.

In Ireland Christmas tends to continue for the full 12 days. Most people are off until the 6th/7th January. So right up till then we are pretty much in Christmas and Party mode and anything goes!!

sad-cafe
12-08-2013, 09:04 PM
My hubby's birthday is the 23rd of December. Growing up, he always hated that because people combined his birthday with Christmas. When we started talking about children, he was strong about the fact that we didn't want children born in December.

Our one child was supposed to come around Thanksgiving but she was stubborn (kind of a pre-warning of things to come ;-)) and she finally decided to enter the world December 8.

To keep her birthday special and to show her how much we care we have always put our tree up AFTER December 8. In years past she would have a bunch of girls over for a slumber party and they would decorate it usually the wee hours of December 9. She is 22 now and in college. My tree is up today but it is not decorated yet.

sodascouts
12-08-2013, 09:16 PM
What a sweet tradition! Even when weeks separate your birthday from Christmas you still get people going the "combo" route. I bet your daughter appreciated your efforts very much!

sad-cafe
12-08-2013, 09:28 PM
I hope she does. And I hope she remembers it forever. Today is her 22nd birthday and she has been a grunch all day. I have to remember that her finals week is this week and she is stressed about them. I asked her what she wanted me to make for her b-day (she loves my cooking) and she asked for a special soup I created for her and her boyfriend came over. They ate then left. Who knows when they will be back.

Tiffanny Twisted
12-14-2013, 01:02 AM
that's so sweet and thoughtful of you 5o wait till afer her bday

zeldabjr
12-14-2013, 12:53 PM
I love hearing about everyone's holiday traditions...but kind of makes me sad...our family is pretty much kaput!!...no more traditions from the old days...I put up my tree and play my music...and make cookies...just for myself...

Tiffanny Twisted
12-14-2013, 01:19 PM
Bj that's a great thing, cause you are important.
:iloveyou:

VAisForEagleLovers
12-15-2013, 12:28 AM
Z, you don't get together with your sisters?

I talked to my Mom yesterday, I think I mentioned that an old tradition for me went by the wayside this year, baking cookies with my family. Anyway, she went to my sister's and they baked and decorated cookies without me! The little piglets better not have them all eaten by the time I get up there!

zeldabjr
12-15-2013, 12:30 AM
oh well...I do get together with one of them...they don't speak to each other...so we never all get together...

sodascouts
12-15-2013, 12:43 AM
That's such a shame, Z. Perhaps one day they will reconcile.

zeldabjr
12-15-2013, 01:18 AM
thanks Soda...I can only hope and pray...but it's a very dysfunctional family!

Tiffanny Twisted
12-15-2013, 11:33 AM
oh well...I do get together with one of them...they don't speak to each other...so we never all get together...

I am sorry Bj, that's ashame and you shouldn't be in the middle.
we kinda have the same thing here but younger bro in law does his own thing any way..always did.
So I lookforward to a nice relaxing dinner with my SIL and BIL And whatever kids pass through the revolving doors.

Its funny, I don't bake.I mean I tried when my son was young and bluffed my way through it but his Aunt has always taken pity on him and made him his own triple batch of peanut butter cookies which is another tradition .
She said he is the only one I bake for :grin:. It is just something special between him and his aunt. He is 28 and she still does it just for him.':blueblob:

Ive always been a dreamer
12-15-2013, 01:13 PM
Oh Nummy - Peanut butter cookies are my favorite ... wish she was my special aunt! :nod:

And sorry about your sisters, z.

Brooke
12-16-2013, 12:56 PM
Z, I'm sorry about your dysfunctional family. I know how it is cause I've had lots of issues with mine over the years. We have tried to get along since my Dad passed away a few years ago and it is working most of the time.

VA, I hope you get some cookies too!

zeldabjr
12-16-2013, 04:46 PM
thanks Brooke...the family's always been very dysfunctional, but I think it held together because of my parents...then my Dad died...and now it's been twenty years since my Mom died...ever since then...no more pretending that everyone likes each other...lol...this one doesn't speak to that one...and this one doesn't speak to that one...so it's very hard at the holidays...I dread them every year!

Tiffanny Twisted
12-16-2013, 07:07 PM
so sorry bj ,I feel for you.

Glennsallnighter
12-16-2013, 08:18 PM
I feel sorry for you too Brenda. It's very tough on you.

Tiffanny Twisted
12-16-2013, 11:09 PM
maybe u need to start your own traditions ..things important to u

Tiffanny Twisted
12-25-2013, 01:53 AM
well, just returned from mass at my sons highschool.
They have it in the gym for all the students teachers alumin etc.
It has always been a chance for the kids to get together and it hasn't changed,
There were only a few kids from my sons class which graduated 10 years ago but we have been going for 15 years so I guess its a tradition around here too.
It was nice to do something we always do.
well tomorrow is the other side of the family JAHHS side,
so I need my rest and lots of wine.
Merry Christmas to all
whatever your family or area traditions are I have enjoyed reading all of them here.
blessings to you all and thanks for sharing:love:

Brooke
12-26-2013, 10:39 AM
I've enjoyed this thread too! Thanks for sharing everyone!