PDA

View Full Version : Don sang at the Kennedy Center Honors tonight

shunlvswx
12-09-2013, 12:25 AM
I found an article online tonight and it says Don sang at the Kennedy Center Honors tonight. He was honoring Billy Joel. He sang She's Got A Way. The special will be on tv on December 29th on CBS. I need to mark this down so I can remember to watch it.

Here's the article.

http://news.yahoo.com/billy-joel-4-others-receive-kennedy-center-honors-173147641.html;_ylt=A2KJ3CbHQqVSeVYAeevQtDMD

ktdids
12-09-2013, 12:53 AM
Thanks for finding that Shun! I was wondering if Don would be there for Billy to salute him, and it's very cool that he did! I wonder if Don spoke before singing, or just came out and did the song?

cheryl
12-09-2013, 12:55 AM
Thanks for the info. Don singing my favorite Joel song. I will be watching.

ktdids
12-09-2013, 02:21 AM
Washington Post had a write up of the event, sorry I can't seem to get the link posted, and it seemed like a lively affair! It was Carlos Santana first, then the opera singer Martina Arroyo, Herbie Hancock, Shirley Maclaine and then Billy Joel. The show ended with Rufus Wainwright, Garth Brooks, Tony Bennett and Don singing Piano Man.
Can't wait to see it now.

SteveJoburg
12-09-2013, 08:51 AM
Last year's show was a beaut... Led Zeppelin were honoured as was Buddy Guy.

From what I've seen the musical performers don't talk, they just do their song.

shunlvswx
12-09-2013, 09:08 AM
I saw the video clip of Heart singing Stairway to Heaven. It was beautiful. I think they had Jimmy Paige crying or was it Robert Plant. I forgot which one of them was crying. They did a great job with that song.

I was trying to find pictures from last night. My local station did show a little clip from last night, but I was too late watching it.

Ive always been a dreamer
12-09-2013, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the heads up about this, shun. I sure hope I remember to watch this. I'm pretty bad at remembering this kind of stuff though. There are only a couple of TV shows that I watch regularly and Nashville is one of them. Yet, last week I got side-tracked and forgot to watch it. Thankfully, I was able to watch it online, but, it's still not as good as being able to watch it on my big TV screen. :sad:

sodascouts
12-09-2013, 11:07 PM
So cool - I can't wait to see this! I LOVE Billy Joel and to hear Don sing such a terrific song will be a real treat. I put it on the board calendar. Hopefully it will also be streamed.

Thanks, shun!

shunlvswx
12-09-2013, 11:18 PM
You're welcome everybody. I use to watch the Kennedy Center Honors every year. I'm looking forward to seeing Don on tv.

I still haven't found any pictures from the show other than a few stills from the honorees cheering on the performers. They've been very tight lip of showing anything from the tv special.

Topkat
12-10-2013, 07:56 AM
Wow, really looking forward to seeing this on TV. Thanks for the heads up! Should be a great night!

shunlvswx
12-10-2013, 08:40 AM
I finally found a picture of Don from the event. I think this picture is from the reception. In the photo gallery, Don's picture is no. 6.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-12-09/kennedy-center-honors-salute-artists-true-to-themselves-.html

12-10-2013, 02:07 PM
Thanks again, shun.

It's a good picture of Don, but I only have one thing to say ... 'Smile Don, SMILE'!!! :grin:

And not to take the attention away from Don, but I saw some other pictures and video of the event, and the First Lady's green gown was absolutely stunning!

shunlvswx
12-10-2013, 02:14 PM
I was thinking the same thing, IABAD. Smile Don!!! He has such a beautiful smile. I hate he hides it.

I loved her dress too.

12-10-2013, 02:21 PM
Yep - maybe I'll volunteer to give Don lessons on how to say "CHEESE"!!! :partytime:

Houston Debutante
12-10-2013, 05:15 PM
Just heard about this and came right here, I knew the board would have more info.

Wow, Don looks like he ate something that didn't agree with him in that photo ~ still handsome though. He probably wasn't prepared for the shot.

Looking forward to seeing this.

Brooke
12-10-2013, 05:48 PM
Me too! Hope I don't forget!

Freypower
12-10-2013, 06:04 PM
I think it's a nice photo. There is a hint of a smile there... I think he looks good when he looks that way. He isn't the sort of person who grins hugely.

sodascouts
12-10-2013, 08:12 PM
A bit on the dour side, I think!

ktdids
12-11-2013, 02:54 AM
I read another article about the event, and it seems John Kerry asked Don for his phone number, but Don couldn't remember it, and had to ask the person next to him for some help. I think it wasTony Bennett. It could have been an attempt at humor by the writer, because it was a strange way to describe the interaction. Kerry is from Massachusetts isn't he? So I assume Don was talking Walden Woods with him, which would lead to an exchange of numbers.

Houston Debutante
12-11-2013, 11:34 AM
I've forgotten my own home number a time or two, after all I never dial myself ;) ~ funny Don Henley has the same problem!

Brooke
12-11-2013, 02:24 PM
Especially with cell phones these days. You don't have to remember anyone's number, it's in your contact list. And how many times do you call your own cell number? I see people all the time look up their own number when we need it here at work.

Houston Debutante
12-11-2013, 02:31 PM
Now all we need is for Don to get one of these ~ or does he have one already?

shunlvswx
12-11-2013, 02:38 PM
I need to look up how you become an honoree for the Kennedy Center Honors. Don or Don/Glenn or the whole group. I don't know if they ever had a group as an honoree, but they have honored the main people of a group.

Freypower
12-11-2013, 05:57 PM
I need to look up how you become an honoree for the Kennedy Center Honors. Don or Don/Glenn or the whole group. I don't know if they ever had a group as an honoree, but they have honored the main people of a group.

They honoured Led Zeppelin last year. Although John Bonham is no longer with us, it was still the band they honoured. From what I can tell, this is the first time this has happened, although Roger & Pete from the Who were previously honoured.

http://www.kennedy-center.org/programs/specialevents/honors/history.cfm

There is a form for nominations in that link.

Midnight Visitor
12-11-2013, 06:04 PM
Can't wait to hear Don sing that beautiful song. Not much of a Joel fan but there are a few of his songs that are lovely. She's Got a Way is definitely one of them.

VAisForEagleLovers
12-11-2013, 08:37 PM
Especially with cell phones these days. You don't have to remember anyone's number, it's in your contact list. And how many times do you call your own cell number? I see people all the time look up their own number when we need it here at work.

Maybe he has a Google Voice number (or something like it) and couldn't remember what it was. You know, the number you give someone when you don't want to give them your real number? It rings through to all your real numbers and when you want someone to stop calling, you drop the number and get a new one. Not that I've ever done this... :lie:

ktdids
12-12-2013, 12:23 AM
Hmmm, is Don using an iPhone, android or BlackBerry I wonder?

NYC Fan
12-12-2013, 09:44 AM
Really looking forward to seeing Don sing that song. I bet he did a great job. It's such a pretty song and I would think his voice will really suit it well.

I love the Kennedy Center Honors shows each year. They usually do such a good job with the tributes. The Mel Brooks one a few years back was pretty hysterical. They are always so heartfelt. Looking forward to it!

Brooke
12-12-2013, 11:15 AM
Maybe he has a Google Voice number (or something like it) and couldn't remember what it was. You know, the number you give someone when you don't want to give them your real number? It rings through to all your real numbers and when you want someone to stop calling, you drop the number and get a new one. Not that I've ever done this... :lie:

Hmmm, I'd never heard of that! Good to know!

I definitely think the Eagles should qualify for this.

sodascouts
12-13-2013, 10:26 AM
Agreed. Hopefully it's only a matter of time.

shunlvswx
12-13-2013, 10:30 AM
They honoured Led Zeppelin last year. Although John Bonham is no longer with us, it was still the band they honoured. From what I can tell, this is the first time this has happened, although Roger & Pete from the Who were previously honoured.

http://www.kennedy-center.org/programs/specialevents/honors/history.cfm

There is a form for nominations in that link.

I remembered Led Zeppelin honored last year. I guess I thought it was only Robert and Jimmy just honored, but I forgot about John Bonham. That's cool that they were the first group to honored. From the list I saw from over the years, it was always be the main guys or the songwriters of the group.

We should try to get the guys in there next year. It would be cool to see the singers that will honor the guys.

sodascouts
12-13-2013, 10:41 AM
Hopefully the folks who honor the guys (if and when they get one) do a better job than Rascall Flats when Don got his MusiCares award! At least Carrie Underwood made it somewhat endurable. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJ5DbGwBYVU

shunlvswx
12-13-2013, 10:54 AM
The two people I think that did justice with their songs are Travis Tritt and Vince Gill. I love Vince's version of ICTYW. Its almost exactly the same.

MaryCalifornia
12-13-2013, 12:35 PM
I remembered Led Zeppelin honored last year. I guess I thought it was only Robert and Jimmy just honored, but I forgot about John Bonham. That's cool that they were the first group to honored. From the list I saw from over the years, it was always be the main guys or the songwriters of the group.

We should try to get the guys in there next year. It would be cool to see the singers that will honor the guys.

John Bonham's son Jason played drums with Heart on Stairway during the ceremony.

Topkat
12-24-2013, 03:37 PM
Don't forget that this airs on TV this Sunday night! So be sure to watch!:love:

WalshFan88
12-24-2013, 03:44 PM
Hopefully the folks who honor the guys (if and when they get one) do a better job than Rascall Flats when Don got his MusiCares award! At least Carrie Underwood made it somewhat endurable. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJ5DbGwBYVU

This isn't good either:

HC by Rascal Flatts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdVIFiQy8v4

Tiffanny Twisted
12-25-2013, 02:05 AM
cant wait to see it when it airs next week ,
very excted

sodascouts
12-26-2013, 12:04 AM
Can't wait to see it!

shunlvswx
12-27-2013, 10:30 PM
Here's a preview of Sunday's special. Don is shown twice in this promo. I'm soo looking forward to it.

My church choir is singing Sunday afternoon at an event. So I don't know when I will get home, but I will record it. I probably be home by the time Don comes on. I think Billy is honored at the end of the show.

http://www.cbs.com/shows/kennedy_center_honors/video/84AAFF5B-29B9-FB96-2138-17DAE10ED4F0/the-36th-annual-kennedy-center-honors-preview-/

sodascouts
12-27-2013, 11:42 PM
Cool! Don looks fantastic. Looking forward to Sunday's show!

Tiffanny Twisted
12-28-2013, 11:33 AM
going to record it as well.
we have a commitment that I thought was earlier then it actually is so I wanna be on the safe side.
This is a show I tend to watch every year. So this year I will record it and watch it on new years day maybe.
Watch for Kenny aranoff on drums and zev Katz on base (wears a bowler hat) they usually are there as well. both are talented musicians having both played of hall and oates and John foggerty among others.

I think Don looks smashing on the promos and my heart skips a beat each time I see the ads for the show.
:blueblob:

deb828
12-28-2013, 05:00 PM
He does look good! Can't wait to see it.

shunlvswx
12-28-2013, 09:46 PM
I've been watching other Kennedy Center Honors videos from years ago and I just finished watching Heart's version of Stairway to Heaven. They brought down the house with that song.

I've been thinking on how Don will sound as he sings She's Got a Way. I'm so looking forward to his version.

sodascouts
12-28-2013, 11:29 PM
I'm really looking forward to it, too. Just one more day!

shunlvswx
12-29-2013, 02:16 PM
Tonight's the night. It looks like I will be home for the special, but I will still record it.

Go Don!!!

12-29-2013, 05:32 PM
Yep - Just thought I'd post another reminder here for everyone (especially me). :grin:

sodascouts
12-29-2013, 07:25 PM
9 eastern / 8 central. I'm going to try to record it using my parents' old VCR.

deb828
12-29-2013, 07:30 PM
Thanks everyone for the reminder--can't wait!

shunlvswx
12-29-2013, 09:54 PM
7 more minutes until the Kennedy Center Honors. I haven't watch this in years. I don't know when it was the last time I sat down and watched the whole thing.

Like I said earlier. Billy might the last honoree of the night if the order is right that I saw in that article I read weeks ago.

sodascouts
12-29-2013, 09:56 PM
It's been delayed here because of a game. Boo!

shunlvswx
12-29-2013, 09:57 PM
Darn. Oh well. I can watch the rest of HOTE which is about to go off in a few minutes.

shunlvswx
12-29-2013, 09:58 PM
60 minutes just went off. So it might be on time.

shunlvswx
12-29-2013, 10:01 PM
Its on now. Just waiting now for them to honor Billy Joel.

shunlvswx
12-29-2013, 10:04 PM
I wonder if they will show Don in the audience.

sodascouts
12-29-2013, 10:07 PM
It's on now here, too. Yay!

Eta: Oh gosh, political statements. I'm watching this with my entire family, people of all political stripes but mostly conservative, and they're watching this only because I wanted to. This is not going to go over well - Dad is already getting riled up just by Belafonte's opening. Ugh please get to the music!

shunlvswx
12-29-2013, 10:22 PM
They are rocking the house with Carlos. I haven't seen Steve Winwood in years. He hasn't changed.

sodascouts
12-29-2013, 10:33 PM
Really? I actually thought he looked quite different. He certainly sounds as good as ever, though. Sheena E was great!

shunlvswx
12-29-2013, 10:35 PM
I agree. Shelia E was great. She rocked the house and then playing those high heel shoes. I would had fell.

shunlvswx
12-29-2013, 11:13 PM
It looks like Billy is the last honoree of the night.

sodascouts
12-29-2013, 11:32 PM
Figures. He's had much more commercial success than the rest of the musical honorees, and who would want to end on that cheesy faux broadway number they just did for Shirley M?

shunlvswx
12-29-2013, 11:32 PM
It's time. Don will be coming up soon.

shunlvswx
12-29-2013, 11:45 PM
Finally!!! Don!!!

sad-cafe
12-29-2013, 11:46 PM
AWESOME

shunlvswx
12-29-2013, 11:48 PM
Don sounded good and looking good.

Garth!!!!

VAisForEagleLovers
12-30-2013, 01:04 AM
We all applauded when Done was done which is more than others got. I don't remember telling that Don't would be on. When he was introduced my sister said "now here we go!". He sounded great and looks great.

shunlvswx
12-30-2013, 01:22 AM
To tell the truth. The other tributes were boring. I love their stories of where they came from and how they got started, but the performers that paid tribute to them were boring.

The only tributes I liked was Carlos Santana and Billy Joel. The funny thing is I had a feeling Billy would be on last, but I went ahead and watched the whole show.

ktdids
12-30-2013, 01:44 AM
Don looked and sounded great, and it was interesting to watch some of Billy's reaction to other artists performing his songs.
I wouldn't say that the tributes were boring, but I appreciated the different genres of music. I'm not a big jazz or opera fan, but the performers had me enjoying it regardless of that fact.

Thirsty&Hot
12-30-2013, 01:46 AM
in case you missed it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZT3DLrf_5I&feature=youtu.be
(for some reason won't post as a video)

it was great seeing Don perform!
I tivo'd it and only watched his performance really. the rest looked boring.

Witchy Woman
12-30-2013, 01:50 AM
Don was awesome !! Do the honorees know who's going to be singing their songs ? I ask because Billy gave an impressed look to Herbie Hancock when they introduced Don. I have to say Snoop Dogg was pretty awesome too !! Definitely unexpected !!

Freypower
12-30-2013, 01:51 AM
Very nice indeed.

shunlvswx
12-30-2013, 01:59 AM
I enjoyed Snoop Dog too. I was singing along too when he asked the audience to say this and that. He looked nice. Now that's a guy you don't see a tux a lot.

I always wonder about that too. Do they know who will be part of their tribute because they do seem surprise to see them there. I would love to know how they pick the artist to sing for a honorees tribute. Maybe the honorees do know.

sodascouts
12-30-2013, 02:01 AM
Don was fantastic!

I don't know for sure, but if the honorees knew who was coming out to do their tributes, they all did a terrific job acting surprised.

It makes you wonder who DOES pick 'em, though.

MaryCalifornia
12-30-2013, 02:41 AM
I have to say that Herbie Hancock is the cutest ever. What a smile. (Haven't gotten to Don yet!)

[Edit: p.s. how did I live my entire life not knowing that Warren Beatty is Shirley MacLean's brother? Still haven't gotten to Don]

Final Edit: Don was wonderful. Very proud of him. So were Garth and Rufus - all 3 awesome singers. Happy for Billy Joel.

Topkat
12-30-2013, 09:33 AM
WOW, Don was really OUTSTANDING!!! He was looking quite handsome in that suit & he really sang with heart & soul! (as usual) Wonder if he is friends with Billy Joel? Loved all the tributes to Billy. Rufus Wainwright & Garth Brooks also were fantastic. Quite a tribute to Billy Joel! He had tears in his eyes!
Loved it!:nod:

Witchy Woman
12-30-2013, 11:40 AM
He's been friends with Billy for a long time, and IIRC he sang at Don's wedding.

Brooke
12-30-2013, 11:45 AM
I got bored watching and finally gave up before Don came on, but I dvr'd it so will watch the rest tonight! (Felt head cold coming on.)I'm just not in to opera or jazz either, but sounds like I will enjoy Don's part tonight!

MC, I didn't know that about Shirley and Warren either, so don't feel bad! :lol:

Thirsty&Hot
12-30-2013, 12:04 PM
oh yeah...I forgot..they came on after Don... I was still reveling in Don's performance haha...Rufus and Garth WERE also great...
the one time I saw Garth and Billy Joel live was for free in Central Park in about '98. it was fun! and Don McClean sang American Pie that night too.

shunlvswx
12-30-2013, 12:20 PM
oh yeah...I forgot..they came on after Don... I was still reveling in Don's performance haha...Rufus and Garth WERE also great...
the one time I saw Garth and Billy Joel live was for free in Central Park in about '98. it was fun! and Don McClean sang American Pie that night too.

I remembered that concert. I was watching it on HBO that night. I still have that concert on tape.

luna65
12-30-2013, 05:13 PM
in case you missed it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZT3DLrf_5I&feature=youtu.be
(for some reason won't post as a video)

Thank you!
Ah...*swoon* Gorgeous!

deb828
12-30-2013, 07:06 PM
Agree with all of you--Don looked and sounded great!!:inlove:

deb828
12-30-2013, 07:12 PM
Agree--Don looked and sounded fantastic!

12-30-2013, 10:10 PM
I watched this last night, and, of course, I thought Don was wonderful. Actually, he was the highlight of the evening for me. Shocker, huh? :wink: :grin:

shunlvswx
12-30-2013, 11:00 PM
I was looking on Yahoo and there was an article on Best 10 Moments from last night's show. Don is mention twice at no. 9 and no. 1.

http://music.yahoo.com/news/10-best-moments-2013-kennedy-center-honors-164021636-rolling-stone.html

Brooke
12-31-2013, 11:05 AM
I watched it last night and thought Don looked and sounded awesome, as usual!

His beard/fumanchu is in top form and his hair looked all gray to me! I like! :nod:

deb828
12-31-2013, 04:21 PM
I was looking on Yahoo and there was an article on Best 10 Moments from last night's show. Don is mention twice at no. 9 and no. 1.

http://music.yahoo.com/news/10-best-moments-2013-kennedy-center-honors-164021636-rolling-stone.html
I thought he was the highlight of the evening, too!

Houston Debutante
01-03-2014, 02:11 PM
Know I haven't been around much lately but I had to drop in to say OMG Don was incredible!!!!!

savannah
01-04-2014, 12:37 AM
I watched also....especially for Don. I must say he still looks mighty fine for his age.:thumbsup: Billy Joel looked surprised and pleased that Don was there.

Houston Debutante
01-04-2014, 03:45 PM
What a huge honor to have someone like Don Henley paying tribute to you. Garth Brooks was OK but he's no Don and I can't even remember the names of the other ones. Billy Joel must've been thrilled to pieces.

ktdids
09-04-2014, 05:16 PM
Kennedy Center Honorees just announced Tom Hanks, Lily Tomlin, Sting and two others that I've just forgotten, I'm so sorry, as recipients for next awards. Will Don come and salute Sting the way he did Billy Joel?!

sodascouts
09-04-2014, 09:16 PM
That would be great - I wonder how one gets selected for such a thing?

Houston Baby
09-05-2014, 09:29 AM
This is probably not the right thread for this comment but I just went to the Kennedy Center Honors website and they are now accepting recommendations for the 2015 Honors. After reading the below.......

"The Kennedy Center Honors provide recognition to living individuals who throughout their lifetimes have made significant contributions to American culture through the performing arts. The primary criterion is excellence, and artistic achievement in dance, music, theater, opera, motion pictures, and television is considered."

Excellence definitely describes the EAGLES.
Anyone can go to the website and complete the recommendation form. I will be submitting one.

shunlvswx
10-18-2014, 10:29 PM
I agree, Dombant. I love Vince's version.

I guess we have to try again next year to get Don or The Eagles as honorees of the Kennedy Center Hours. They've already picked who will be honored this year. Since Don knows Sting, maybe they can get Don back this year to pay tribute to Sting.

shunlvswx
12-29-2015, 08:00 PM
Today's the 2nd anniversary of Don singing at the Kennedy Honors for Billy Joel. I can't believe its been 2 years. I was going back to what I said last year when they announced honorees.

I guess we have to try again next year to get Don or The Eagles as honorees of the Kennedy Center Hours. They've already picked who will be honored this year. Since Don knows Sting, maybe they can get Don back this year to pay tribute to Sting.

We will see Don and the rest of the guys next year getting honored. I'll be thinking of the guys tonight as CBS showed this year's show.

Here's Don doing She's Got a Way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZT3DLrf_5I

shunlvswx
12-09-2016, 11:04 PM
Its been 3 years since Don first appeared at the Kennedy Center Center to pay tribute to his friend, Billy Joel. I bet Don never though in a million years that he and his bandmates would be honorees 3 years later.

Freypower
12-10-2016, 04:50 PM
Its been 3 years since Don first appeared at the Kennedy Center Center to pay tribute to his friend, Billy Joel. I bet Don never though in a million years that he and his bandmates would be honorees 3 years later.

I don't see why he would have never expected to be honoured given the Eagles' impact on American culture. :doh:

sodascouts
12-13-2016, 10:32 PM
Shun, when I first saw this thread, I thought you meant he had sung at his OWN, and I was like "What.." - then I read a little more carefully, lol.

Who knows whether Don would have expected it or not... but they have been overlooked by critics before, so I doubt he took it for granted.

shunlvswx
12-08-2017, 10:39 PM
Today's the 4th Anniversary of Don paying tribute to Billy Joel at the KCH. Don did such a great job of his version of She's Got A Way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZT3DLrf_5I

LuvTim
12-08-2017, 11:44 PM
Oh, Shun, thanks for that. It really is an exceptionally beautiful rendition. :smitten:

maryc2130
12-09-2017, 10:51 AM
I agree that it's a beautiful rendition. I love Billy's version, but I think Don's has the slight edge for me.