PDA

View Full Version : Glenn playing the Charles Dickens Dinner tonight

VAisForEagleLovers
12-13-2013, 08:50 PM
Somewhere on here, months ago, I think I posted a tweet with an invitation that someone had for the Charles Dickens Dinner with the USC Thornton School of Music. I couldn't see the date, I don't think, and saw nothing on Google. I still don't see anything, but the dinner is tonight, and I see tweets from orchestra members that they are performing with him tonight.

http://music.usc.edu/events/details/?event=904297

One of the tweets:

Playing with Glenn Frey from @TheEaglesBand with USC Orchestra tonight! #desperado

sodascouts
12-13-2013, 09:10 PM
Ah, the coolness!!! And a Dickens connection (he's not my fave author, but I teach him every time I do Brit Lit).

:jealous:

Tiffanny Twisted
12-14-2013, 11:54 AM
so cool

zeldabjr
12-14-2013, 12:45 PM
very interesting...can't imagine what this is going to be like...hope there's some pics and info on it tomorrow!

sodascouts
12-14-2013, 10:29 PM
All I saw was a tweet from a girl who was playing in the orchestra - no photo of Glenn. :( Will keep looking.

Apparently the orchestra played some kind of medley to honor Glenn? Or were they backing him? https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152046635990935&l=27e6b77a97

VAisForEagleLovers
12-14-2013, 10:49 PM
It's very frustrating that there isn't more information!!

sodascouts
12-14-2013, 10:55 PM
Seriously. I thought for sure we'd at least get some tweets. Did Glenn tell everyone to put away their cell phones again?

VAisForEagleLovers
12-15-2013, 12:22 AM
They could tweet AFTER the show! Maybe the website will have some details in a little while.

zeldabjr
12-15-2013, 12:37 AM
Seriously. I thought for sure we'd at least get some tweets. Did Glenn tell everyone to put away their cell phones again?

I don't know why...but I can't stop laughing at the thought of this!!!

VAisForEagleLovers
12-16-2013, 10:58 PM
A picture!! The one on the left performed in the orchestra, and I think the one in the middle is the guy's dad...John Fogerty.

A bow tie! Different and I like it!

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/vernakrose/gl/Dickensdinner_zps0278e8ac.jpg

sodascouts
12-16-2013, 10:59 PM
FINALLY! Thanks VA!

That guy in the middle looks familiar to me - or maybe it's just deja vu.

ETA: DUH, just saw that it's John Forgety! :doh:

Freypower
12-16-2013, 11:02 PM
That is the first time I have ever seen Glenn with John Fogerty. You know what I am like when he wears a tux. I was having a bad day & that has just lifted me up. Did he sing? What happened?!

:bow:

Tiffanny Twisted
12-16-2013, 11:17 PM
john fogertys boys are both talented guitar players have seen
:grin:them both perform w their dad live

VAisForEagleLovers
12-16-2013, 11:19 PM
That is the first time I have ever seen Glenn with John Fogerty. You know what I am like when he wears a tux. I was having a bad day & that has just lifted me up. Did he sing? What happened?!

:bow:

There tweets talking about rehearsals with him, so I'm guessing he did. Yet others referred to it as a tribute, so maybe not.

tequila girl
12-17-2013, 05:24 AM
There tweets talking about rehearsals with him, so I'm guessing he did. Yet others referred to it as a tribute, so maybe not.

The Tweet says: "John Fogerty ‏@John_Fogerty
John's son Shane performed with Glenn Frey at a USC event this weekend."
So yes, looks like Glenn was performing :-)

Brooke
12-17-2013, 11:28 AM
Maybe he was honored, since he had the tux on, and also performed with John and his son! :cool:

Great pic!

Glennsallnighter
12-17-2013, 02:42 PM
Love that pic! He sure scrubs up well in a tux :inlove::inlove::inlove:

MaryCalifornia
12-17-2013, 05:34 PM
I get John Fogerty and Bob Seger mixed up. I'm an idiot.

Freypower
12-17-2013, 06:07 PM
The thought of Glenn singing After Hours songs wearing a tux has me weak at the knees.

I am going to have to make that photo an avatar unless something clearer turns up (please)...:fainted:

VAisForEagleLovers
12-17-2013, 06:14 PM
Seems like he would have had to throw a few Christmas songs in there as well. Which makes me want to cry that I missed it. Well, OK, I want to cry that I missed it anyway...

Ive always been a dreamer
12-17-2013, 06:18 PM
Thanks for all of the info about this, VA. That is a cool picture of Glenn with John and son, although I have to admit, to me, it's not very flattering of Glenn. However, not meant as a complaint - love to see new pictures anytime of the guys.

Tiffanny Twisted
12-17-2013, 07:35 PM
Love that pic! He sure scrubs up well in a tux :inlove::inlove::inlove:
He could be a garage collector and he would look fine to me :grin::inlove:

but yes the tux is nice and after hours songs in one would be awsome:bow:

StephUK
12-17-2013, 09:58 PM
Does Glenn have any previous connection to the USC?

I'm just thinking that Will Hollis has done some 'guest lecturer' work at the USC, so maybe he had something to do with Glenn playing there.

Freypower
12-17-2013, 10:32 PM
All I have been able to find out is that it is an annual event. It supports scholarships to USC's Thornton School of Music.

http://www.performingartslive.com/Events/The-Charles-Dickens-Dinner-97201214290

A couple of years ago Richard Carpenter & Randy Newman were special guests.

http://www.examiner.com/article/recording-artists-randy-newman-richard-carpenter-participate-awards-dinner

GlennLover
01-02-2014, 12:10 PM
I got this article which mentions the dinner: http://www.lacanadaonline.com/community/tsn-vsl-the-valley-line-playing-catchup-before-the-new-year-speeds-away-20140101,0,2150833.story

These are the quotes about Glenn:

More than 300 guests, all festively dressed, gathered at the Millennium Biltmore Hotel’s stunningly beautiful Crystal Room to take part in the 27th annual Charles Dickens Dinner presented by the USC Thornton School of Music.

The Dickens dinner is one of the most lovely, music-filled parties held in the L.A. Area during the Christmas season.

This year’s event honored Glen Frey, founding member of the Eagles, with the John C. Argue Dickens Medal of Honor. Later in the evening’s program, Frey took up his guitar and sang “Desperado” to the wild applause of the audience. In his acceptance speech for the John C. Argue Medal of Honor award, Frey hinted that one day he would like to teach at the university. We shall see.

I'd like to know what was meant by the "We shall see" comment. :eyebrow:

The young star of the evening was Brett Fromson, a singer, writer, and musician from the prestigious popular music program, who performed his composition, “Burnin’.” He was presented with the Glenn Frey Scholarship. His first album, “Heartbeat Like a Train,” was just released to the public this week. Guests at the dinner each received an advance copy of the album.

UndertheWire
01-02-2014, 12:36 PM
I'd like to know what was meant by the "We shall see" comment. :eyebrow:
"JANE NAPIER NEELY covers the La Cañada social scene."
She probably hasn't done her homework so doesn't know he's already done some teaching.

Tiffanny Twisted
01-02-2014, 07:11 PM
"JANE NAPIER NEELY covers the La Cañada social scene."
She probably hasn't done her homework so doesn't know he's already done some teaching.
someone should email that "lady " and inform her of her lack of research or her "let me put my foot in my mouth:nahnah:" attempt at journalism

Freypower
01-02-2014, 08:01 PM
Let's be fair. How widely known is it that he has done teaching previously? In any case she was specifically referring to him perhaps teaching at USC. I am more touched by the fact that he now has a scholarship named after him.

I don't know why he felt he had to play guitar while singing Desperado when he normally doesn't. People may have wanted to get a good look at that tux!

Elizasong
01-02-2014, 09:45 PM
I'm very impressed that he has done teaching and if this is correct would like to do some more. It's great to see that such a talented musician want's to pass his knowledge and inspiration on. I'm sure other musicians would like to as well. :thumbsup:

shunlvswx
01-02-2014, 11:48 PM
I wouldn't mind being in Professor Frey's class. LOL I'm going to be serious. I wouldn't mind taking a class taught by a singer/songwriter. I wouldn't mind learning some stuff about the music business. I was the tv business for a few years and they can be brutal too.

sodascouts
01-03-2014, 12:05 PM
I wouldn't mind being in Professor Frey's class. LOL I'm going to be serious. I wouldn't mind taking a class taught by a singer/songwriter. I wouldn't mind learning some stuff about the music business.

Shoot, how awesome would that be?!

It's so good to hear more info - like the fact that he won an award and has a scholarship. So nice to see him recognized. Thanks so much, GL!

UndertheWire
01-03-2014, 12:45 PM
He was listed as a guest speaker for Fall 2011 for the USC Thornton Popular Music course.
http://www.artandscienceofsound.com/news/usc-thornton-popular-music-students-working-alan-parsons

I assumed that the scholarship was named for him because he gave the money for it, but I could be wrong.

I don't know my way around instagram, but there's a photo from the Dickens event on this page: http://www.oninstagram.com/profile/maliakatherine

sodascouts
01-03-2014, 12:58 PM
Ooh - nice! Thanks UTW!

Ive always been a dreamer
01-07-2014, 06:44 PM
Yep - I find the notion of takng instructions from Professor Frey to be very intriguing! :thumbsup:

GlennLover
01-07-2014, 06:53 PM
Yes, that would get me bach in school!

Thirsty&Hot
01-08-2014, 11:32 PM
haha seriously! can anyone sign up? audit the class maybe?
we could all do it!
he would be like..now guys...are you really here to learn or to look? haha

Thirsty&Hot
01-08-2014, 11:32 PM
A picture!! The one on the left performed in the orchestra, and I think the one in the middle is the guy's dad...John Fogerty.

A bow tie! Different and I like it!

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/vernakrose/gl/Dickensdinner_zps0278e8ac.jpg

love it!

sodascouts
01-09-2014, 12:44 AM
haha seriously! can anyone sign up? audit the class maybe?
we could all do it!
he would be like..now guys...are you really here to learn or to look? haha

Folks will be signing up right and left to take his class. The university would make some good money off of Professor Frey!