PDA

View Full Version : Nice Story about Glenn Frey

Elizasong
12-21-2013, 11:52 PM
Hello,

I don't post often here but I thought this group would appreciate this story. I'm reading a book by Susan Hamilton called Hit Woman. Her claim to fame was she ran one of the most successful jingle companies around.

There is a chapter called "One of Those Nights". She tells a story of recording a beer commercial with Glenn Fry in the 80's. She is taken all over LA the first night she gets there at the insistence of the client and ends up in a undisclosed club with the group including Glenn. At one point she has a heart to heart conversation with him and he admits he's not interested in any of the pretty girls around them. He's more interested in a woman who's going to make him cinnamon toast in the morning, sit across from him with no make up on and ask him how his day went. And then he asked her "Do you make cinnamon toast by any chance?"

Her experience recording with him in the studio went very well. She proved to him that she knew was she was doing and he taught her some new helpful techniques on editing which he credited as learning from Don.

The last night she was there he took her out to Dan Tana's for dinner. As they were in the booth talking a strange look came over his face. He looked over her shoulder and said "what is that" pointing to a potted plant behind them. Tucked away in the potted plant was a wrapped package. the package was a large bottle of Joy perfume with a note that said "It was a joy to work with you. Glenn"

Very cool.

sodascouts
12-21-2013, 11:55 PM
Oh my gosh - that is too sweet for words! Nobody can say Glenn Frey doesn't know how to make someone feel special. ;)

luna65
12-22-2013, 12:14 AM
Ah that legendary charm strikes again...what a great story!

Glennsallnighter
12-22-2013, 05:12 AM
Lovely story.....Now, must stock up on that cinnamon.....!

Tiffanny Twisted
12-22-2013, 10:19 AM
such a charmer he is our gf.
hubba hubba
:nod:

Zanny Kingston
12-22-2013, 11:09 AM
What a nice story!!

Desperada
12-22-2013, 12:11 PM
I love that story, thank you.:bow:

Glennhoney
12-22-2013, 02:34 PM
Hello,

I don't post often here but I thought this group would appreciate this story. I'm reading a book by Susan Hamilton called Hit Woman. Her claim to fame was she ran one of the most successful jingle companies around.

There is a chapter called "One of Those Nights". She tells a story of recording a beer commercial with Glenn Fry in the 80's. She is taken all over LA the first night she gets there at the insistence of the client and ends up in a undisclosed club with the group including Glenn. At one point she has a heart to heart conversation with him and he admits he's not interested in any of the pretty girls around them. He's more interested in a woman who's going to make him cinnamon toast in the morning, sit across from him with no make up on and ask him how his day went. And then he asked her "Do you make cinnamon toast by any chance?"

Her experience recording with him in the studio went very well. She proved to him that she knew was she was doing and he taught her some new helpful techniques on editing which he credited as learning from Don.

The last night she was there he took her out to Dan Tana's for dinner. As they were in the booth talking a strange look came over his face. He looked over her shoulder and said "what is that" pointing to a potted plant behind them. Tucked away in the potted plant was a wrapped package. the package was a large bottle of Joy perfume with a note that said "It was a joy to work with you. Glenn"

Very cool.

//what a great story and I believe every word of it...sounds just like Glenn...thanks for sharing..

NYC Fan
12-22-2013, 02:38 PM
Elizasong-

Thanks for sharing this story. So cute and my, how charming. Love it!

VAisForEagleLovers
12-22-2013, 04:51 PM
What a fantastic story!! Such a sweetheart!

Brooke
12-22-2013, 05:23 PM
Great story! Thanks for sharing!

SoaringRockyMountainWay
12-22-2013, 05:23 PM
Awwww that's so sweet! For the record, I make cinnamon toast all the time.:hilarious:

Tiffanny Twisted
12-22-2013, 07:34 PM
for the record, this gluten free chickie could learn if it ment serving it up to that hunka hunka man.:nod:

Topkat
12-23-2013, 07:01 PM
That was a very sweet story! Sounds like Glenn may have had a little crush on her!

Glennsallnighter
12-23-2013, 08:32 PM
I agree Topkat! Lucky girl :jealous:

sodascouts
12-24-2013, 12:53 PM
Any male Borderers reading this, take note. Most women are very impressed by stuff like this. Glenn really seems to know how to treat a lady.

Ive always been a dreamer
12-26-2013, 02:34 PM
Yep - I also turn to a puddle of goo when I read such sweetness. The man definitely knows how to turn on the charm. Plus, that bottle of perfume wasn't too shabby of a little gift.

UndertheWire
12-26-2013, 04:12 PM
What I liked about it was it was about making her feel better. I admit it, I went off to read the text (most of it's viewable through amazon's Look Inside feature) and the context makes it even sweeter.

She'd arrived late for dinner, straight from the airport and was feeling rumpled and dressed for the wrong climate. She was expecting a hard time from Glenn because a few years before she'd had a messy divorce from Elliot Scheiner (Glenn's co-producer) but that didn't happen. They end up in this exclusive nightclub and she's the only woman over forty and under 5'8". She confides in Glenn that she's feeling small and so he tells her what he's looking for in a woman which lifts her spirits and she starts to enjoy the evening. She says she began to realise what a kind man he is.

It's also both sweet and sad that at the time he was going through his own messy divorce and what he was looking for was companionship and home comforts. At least that worked out.

NYC Fan
12-26-2013, 05:34 PM
Yep - I also turn to a puddle of goo when I read such sweetness. The man definitely knows how to turn on the charm. Plus, that bottle of perfume wasn't too shabby of a little gift.

I agree. He is too charming, indeed...

And yes, that is one expensive bottle of perfume. The man knows how to work it ;-)

VAisForEagleLovers
12-26-2013, 06:59 PM
Both Glenn and Don get mentions in the prologue as possible replacements for Elton John in a commercial.

Elizasong
12-26-2013, 07:08 PM
I'm glad everyone enjoyed the story. Thanks UTW for elaborating more of the story. I hope some day I can meet a guy with as much caring and consideration.

UndertheWire
12-26-2013, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the heads up.

VAisForEagleLovers
12-26-2013, 10:11 PM
Just read the whole chapter. Besides the things mentioned, he also realized she knew what she was doing and didn't hesitate to say so. He also taught her a few things. When another singer didn't work out, Glenn did his own backgrounds, and Timothy did some as well. Bill Symczyk was the 'engineer'.

VAisForEagleLovers
12-28-2013, 01:16 PM
Another interesting item...she became very good friends with Linda Thompson who was married to Bruce Jenner and is the mother of Brandon who is Don Felder's son-in-law. It was an interesting book and avoided negativity except for the chapter on Michael Bolton.

Tiffanny Twisted
12-28-2013, 07:35 PM
what was the name of the book again and the author

luna65
12-28-2013, 07:53 PM
From the first post:

I'm reading a book by Susan Hamilton called Hit Woman.

Tiffanny Twisted
12-28-2013, 08:21 PM
Thanks

Ive always been a dreamer
12-29-2013, 05:19 PM
Sounds like this book may be worth checking out! Thanks everyone for all the info.

UndertheWire
02-11-2014, 08:45 AM
The Fastlane Facebook page currently has an audio file of "Heartland Commercial" which seems like it could be the one that Susan Hamilton recorded with Glenn.

Thirsty&Hot
02-14-2014, 11:57 PM
aw I love this...charming indeed..."whata line!" I thought at first
but reading about the context it was in of making her feel better....sweetness!!!
melted into a puddle!

for the record, this gluten free chickie could learn if it ment serving it up to that hunka hunka man.:nod:

TT try Udi's gluten free bread (http://udisglutenfree.com/) for cinnamon toast. Glenn would never notice the difference ;)
hehe
I'm not entirely gluten free...but this bread is so good that I prefer it to other bread (as toast) at a local diner.

chaim
03-03-2014, 07:17 AM
What really caught my attention was this little detail:

Seems to me that, unlike a lot of people in the music business, Glenn is not anxious to get the full credit for everything he does and adoration that comes with it. Even here he says that he actually learned this from Don. I love that about Glenn, although I obviously don't know him. A lot of people (who don't know him any more than I do) say that he has a huge ego, but most of the actual stories I hear about Glenn - or the interviews I read - imply that he doesn't even have an ego.

sodascouts
03-03-2014, 09:27 AM
Seriously! There's a photo of Glenn from a recent show where he's pointing away from himself. Here's the full version:

https://31.media.tumblr.com/831c87870695ee162e5cd8504091d2e9/tumblr_n1sgxlClCy1rtbvuno1_1280.jpg

He's pointing towards Joe and Bernie, saying "Yep, these guys are the best."

Again, those who like to think he's an egomaniac like to ignore stuff like this because it might chip away at the preconceived notions they've already formed in many cases based on nothing but hearsay, speculation, and a 30 second clip on a documentary.

VAisForEagleLovers
03-03-2014, 10:12 AM
Unfortunately, I think he earned his egomaniac reputation, probably justifiably so, while on cocaine. Off the drug, he doesn't seem that way at all to me. How many interviews did he do back in 2012 where once he was off the air, the DJs commented on what a nice, down-to-earth nice guy he was? A few told me in emails later that he was by far the nicest rock star they'd ever interviewed.

Of course, he's not natured to suffer fools gladly, and he'd be that way whether a rock star or not. So of course someone on the receiving end of that would consider him to have an ego in order to avoid looking at themselves too closely.

sodascouts
03-03-2014, 10:13 AM
Yeah, I see your point.

UndertheWire
03-03-2014, 12:24 PM
I was hoping that would turn up as one photo. It's a classic.

I wonder how much of the70s arrogance was bravado.

shunlvswx
03-03-2014, 12:56 PM
Its nice to see the full version.

LIke I said in another thread.

Bernie: "You're the man."

Joe: "No. You're the man."

Glenn: "They're the man."

VAisForEagleLovers
03-03-2014, 01:39 PM
It's been photoshopped to be all one picture, but yes, if you spread them a lot further apart that's kind of what it looked like.

Thirsty&Hot
03-03-2014, 08:26 PM
Seriously! There's a photo of Glenn from a recent show where he's pointing away from himself. Here's the full version:

https://31.media.tumblr.com/831c87870695ee162e5cd8504091d2e9/tumblr_n1sgxlClCy1rtbvuno1_1280.jpg

He's pointing towards Joe and Bernie, saying "Yep, these guys are the best."

Again, those who like to think he's an egomaniac like to ignore stuff like this because it might chip away at the preconceived notions they've already formed in many cases based on nothing but hearsay, speculation, and a 30 second clip on a documentary.

I love this!!

ktdids
03-03-2014, 10:48 PM
[QUOTE=UndertheWire;269195

I wonder how much of the70s arrogance was bravado.[/QUOTE]

Young men in their 20's, with something to prove, the talent and determination to make it big? Chutzpah is a given isn't it?!? After that it's all about how charming you can be, and these boys had that in bucketfuls I'm sure!

chaim
03-04-2014, 03:25 AM
I haven't read that much about the Eagles, so I don't know a lot about what happened in the 70's. I didn't even know that Glenn was arrogant. My uncle has a Finnish music magazine from the HC tour era ('76?). There's an Eagles article, and the writer talks about waiting for the band in the hotel lobby after the show. (I think the gig was in Sweden). All the band members just rush by to go to their hotel rooms. All except Glenn, who stops by, asks "How you doing?" and is willing to chat even though he must be as tired as the rest of the guys.

UndertheWire
03-04-2014, 04:04 AM
I was thinking more of the public face, the best example being the "feud" with Rolling Stone magazine. All that posturing but when they magazine staff and the band dined together afterwards, they got along fine.

elly87
03-04-2014, 02:11 PM
Ah that legendary charm strikes again...what a great story! :rockon:

chaim
03-04-2014, 02:42 PM
Ah that legendary charm strikes again...what a great story! :rockon:
http://watchfree.me/66/w.png

Indeed. I'm a man and, like they say, "straight", but even I find him charming.:mrgreen:

But it's the same with Randy. Like I said before, I enjoy looking at pictures of him, because he's so sweet. But it has a lot to do with his personality.