PDA

View Full Version : I can't stand still?

Fanagain
12-26-2013, 02:25 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new here. I was just wondering if I'm crazy or is it nearly impossible to purchase this cd? Why is it so unavailable? Do I need to purchase it used? I'm in particular trying to get Talking to the moon... Thanks.

Ive always been a dreamer
12-26-2013, 02:40 PM
Welcome fanagain. This is a great CD. I guess it's difficult to find it in retail stores at this point. I'm not sure if it's available for downloading, but you can purchase it here ...

http://www.amazon.com/Cant-Stand-Still-Don-Henley/dp/B000002H0X/ref=sr_1_6?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1388082997&sr=1-6&keywords=don+henley

luna65
12-26-2013, 02:41 PM
Because it was Don's last record under the old WMG structuring, I can imagine the rights may be in limbo, that happens sometimes. Sometimes when the rights revert back to the artist they may not choose to reissue a particular release. Plus I don't think it was as big a seller as the next two albums so that's also usually a reason why releases go out of print. I collect a lot of vintage records and so the best bets for tracking down those kinds of releases are in the vintage markets, like eBay, GEMM and MusicStack.

Fanagain
12-26-2013, 02:51 PM
Oh thank you, I see I can get it on Amazon. Just had to wade past the used copies. Thanks!

sodascouts
12-26-2013, 02:58 PM
Welcome Fanagain!

Inexplicably, this is "out of print." There is really no excuse for such a thing nowadays, with the advent of digital releases which the company can make available at so little cost to themselves that even obscure back catalog releases can turn a profit. ICSS is hardly obscure; it made not have burned up the charts, but it sold enough to go gold and contained his biggest solo hit "Dirty Laundry." It certainly would net the company some money if released digitally, yet it sits on the shelf.

Also out of print is his most recent release, Inside Job, from 2000. Both of these are released by Warner Bros. Coincidence? I think not. Apparently Warner Bros. chooses to spend their time trolling YouTube, suing fans, and pressuring Congress to make draconian laws that serve their corporate interests rather than making all their artists' music available through official channels!

Don may not appreciate David Geffen's treatment of him, but at least his Geffen Records material is available for sale so that Don can receive royalties from it. When you have to buy from a reseller, Don receives nothing.

Sorry for the rant. ANYWAY...

You can still get I Can't Stand Still "new" in the sense that it's unopened/unplayed. You just have to get it from an aforementioned reseller instead of straight from the source. Try Amazon.com - as you can see, the resellers charge more, but we have little choice.

ETA: I see you've gotten your answer already! When I started typing my reply, no one else had posted yet.

sodascouts
12-26-2013, 04:22 PM
I should note, out of fairness to Warner Bros, that it's possible there's a holdup on Don's end if the rights reverted back to him when the albums went out of print like luna suggests could be the reason. However, it's strange that he would have a rights reversion clause in his contract with Warner Bros. in 1981 but not ensure it was in his contract with Geffen later. He was "courted" by Geffen in his words and had already had one hit, so it's not as if he were forced to take a bum deal due to desperation. I guess it's possible that Geffen never allowed them to go out of print, but it would surprise me. Building the Perfect Beast was popular, but it never achieved top 10, and it was released back in 1984.

Hmmm. I don't know.

I'd much rather be angry at Warner Bros., though. ;)

luna65
12-26-2013, 05:25 PM
It ended up selling more units than ICSS, though. But yeah, that's just informed speculation on my part, the record business is so dirty and slipshod in their methodology.

Revenue - in regards to the cost of maintaining a back catalog - is often calculated based on total volume. I have a friend who is an archival engineer and there are plenty of reissues he'd love to work on, but just negotiating their licensing can often take years and a distributor looks at the financials to determine if they'll recoup their investment in what they consider a reasonable amount of time (i.e. two fiscal periods, for example), which includes not only the cost of licensing and manufacture but also paying the engineer. There's one project he worked on which took him six years just to work out who would distribute it, but then again the band in question had also filed a suit against their label during that time which further complicated the process; luckily he had other projects he could work on while waiting for everyone to get their shit together!

Fanagain
12-26-2013, 06:57 PM
I had no idea so much went on in the background of these things. I'm embarrassed to admit I just expect nearly everything to be available on iTunes.:blush:

luna65
12-26-2013, 07:33 PM
Ah, and that's a whole 'nother kettle of fish, as they say. :lol:

shunlvswx
12-26-2013, 08:24 PM
Since we're talking about Don's albums. I found End of the Innocence CD at WalMart for $5.00 a month ago as I was looking for movies to buy for $5.00. I was shocked to see Don's CD at Walmart. I should had gotten it. Since I had Spotify and they had that album on there, I didn't get the CD. It might still be there. I'm going to get that CD if its still there.

HenleyFan1971
12-27-2013, 03:34 PM
I have all don solo cd's I won a perfect I can't stand still on cd for under 10.00 well worth it 😄

Houston Debutante
01-04-2014, 03:48 PM
I have all of Don's CDs, but I had to get I Can't Stand Still off of ebay. I got it cheap, a better price than Amazon, but it wasn't new.