PDA

View Full Version : new year traditions

Tiffanny Twisted
12-27-2013, 08:54 PM
Thought since we are such a diverse group of fans from all over , it would be nice to see what favorite ways you have for ringing in each new year.

Just thought it would be fun to see how much alike or different we really all are.:thumbsup:

luna65
12-27-2013, 10:10 PM
The only tradition I really have - other than playing "Funky New Year" - is one that I bet some of you enact as well; I fix some collards and black eye peas for good luck. I usually eat that with some homemade mac n'cheese. But I generally can't make it to midnight these days, I'm an old broad! :hilarious:

Oh, and I like to watch my favorite holiday movie, Holiday Inn, since it has several NYE scenes.

ktdids
12-27-2013, 11:44 PM
Dinner with a few friends some place not too noisy or crowded, walk around for dessert and then home! If I'm lucky I might be awake at midnight, otherwise I'm out cold because I'm getting older myself two weeks after that!

WalshFan88
12-27-2013, 11:47 PM
Snacky-foods and movies!!! Also punch.

This year will be mini barbecue hot dog thingies (whatever those are called), cheese dip and crackers, pigs in a blanket, and little pizza bite thingies. And orange punch. Not sure yet on the movies. Probably a mix of new and old. We generally watch 2. I think I'm voting for Dumb and Dumber (old) and The Internship (new) this year.

sodascouts
12-27-2013, 11:49 PM
My NYE traditions are kind of shifting around. When I was younger, we'd watch New Years Rockin' Eve and the ball drop in Times Square, but it's not the same without Dick Clark. I still watch the ball drop, though.

When I got older, champagne was added to the tradition!

In recent years, I've gone to visit my younger sister in Austin over New Year's; she and her husband typically throw a party and set off fireworks.

VAisForEagleLovers
12-28-2013, 01:10 AM
I do something different for NYE every year it seems. It's not a holiday I really care for. New years day is different! Being of German descent, it's all about pork and sauerkraut for me. Also, NHL's Winter Classic has become part of the tradition. A welcome change from all the college football...

I don't do resolutions at new years. I do them on my birthday.

prayfordaylight
12-30-2013, 09:16 AM
New years day is different! Being of German descent, it's all about pork and sauerkraut for me.

We do the pork and sauerkraut in my family too as my dad's side is Polish and his wife is Pennsylvania Dutch. I think it must be some central/eastern European thing.

Topkat
12-30-2013, 09:42 AM
Every New Years Day they throw a big party in the roof top party room for the people who live here. I love this tradition because it gives us a chance to wish happy new year to our neighbors & meet some of the new people who have moved into the building....Many times we are all rushing around with our busy lives and hardly know the people who live here, so it's nice to spend some time talking to our neighbors & catching up on our lives.
They have live music & fantastic food & drinks & you can bring a guest, so it's really a lot of fun.

New Years Eve we will probably just go out to dinner & then ring in the New Year with Ryan Seacrest & watch the ball go down at Times Square & drink champagne!
Happy New Year to all my fellow Eagle fans!!

VAisForEagleLovers
12-30-2013, 09:43 AM
Well, William Penn recruited large numbers of people from Palatine (Germany), and they became 'Pennsylvania Dutch' (originally Pennsylvania Deutsch)!

Brooke
12-30-2013, 11:54 AM
We do different things every year, it seems. No real traditions.

This year we are going to a masquerade party with my sister and her husband. Never been to one before! This is at a small town bar and a friend of our son's is doing an acoustic set too. It's not formal, but most will wear/take a mask. Should be fun! Ususally, we stay home and watch the ball drop.

New Year's Day we nearly always take down the Christmas tree and put most of that stuff away. One of hubby's sisters that lives close to us is having lunch for anyone that wants to stop in: ham and beans and pork roast and cabbage.

Midnight_Flyer
12-30-2013, 06:15 PM
We usually spend it in, have a few drinks and food lol and wait for the countdown :)

Ive always been a dreamer
12-31-2013, 12:25 AM
We don't have any set New Year's Eve traditions. However, I generally have my family for New Year's Day dinner. We have the traditional pork, black-eye peas, stewed tomatoes, and collard greens.

Glennsallnighter
12-31-2013, 05:52 AM
New Years Eve we will probably just go out to dinner & then ring in the New Year with Ryan Seacrest & watch the ball go down at Times Square & drink champagne!
Happy New Year to all my fellow Eagle fans!!

I would love to be in Times Square for this. This year I have a wish on a bit of paper in the ball after visiting the city in March.

Elizasong
12-31-2013, 06:48 PM
Local house parties are my thing these days and nothing crazy like when I was younger.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE!!

Henley Honey
12-31-2013, 07:10 PM
I would love to be in Times Square for this. This year I have a wish on a bit of paper in the ball after visiting the city in March.

The only way to do this -- and I mean only -- is to reserve a room in a Times Square facing hotel (probably two years in advance). You'd be able to see all the madness from the safe refuge of your room (and trust me, it would be your refuge when you felt overwhelmed by the crazy crowds.)

The reality is there are no public rest rooms. Security is insane, it's usually freezing cold, there is no room to move, you'll be groped by the drunken masses and probably thrown up on by Bob from Iowa who has long since peed himself because he got there at noon so as to not miss a minute of the "party". Sounds like a good time to me. NOT!!!

My New Year's tradition is a quiet house party -- usually at my BFF's since first grade. It's a mellow but fun close to the holiday's. New Year's Day Honeymooner's / Twilight Zone/ marathon while "de-decking? un-decking the halls.

Happy New Year, everyone. Have fun. Be safe.

Glennsallnighter
01-02-2014, 07:25 PM
Well thanks for the advice HH. Forewarned will be forearmed. We might still do it though....... I suppose some years it snows too!

Hope the house party went well.

Next stop ...............

LA!!!!!!