PDA

View Full Version : Don's Top 10 Songs - According To Ultimate Classic Rock

Witchy Woman
01-08-2014, 03:30 AM
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/top-10-don-henley-songs/

thelastresort
01-08-2014, 01:38 PM
NYM deserves to be so much higher than 7th. Not as listenable as Boys of Summer but it's one of the most emotional and powerful songs I've ever heard in my life.

Ive always been a dreamer
01-08-2014, 01:58 PM
Thanks for that link, WW. As usual, I am perplexed about the way these sites come up with their results. I actually don't have too many qualms with the songs that made the list, although I'm doing some serious :headscratch: at the order of finish ...

1. The Boys of Summer
2. The End of the Innocence
3. All She Wants To Do Is Dance
4. Not Enough Love In the World
5. The Heart of the Matter
6. Dirty Laundry
7. New York Minute
8. The Last Worthless Evening
9. Sunset Grill
10. Taking You Home

Especially, 'Not Enough Love In the World' at #4 - Really????

shunlvswx
01-08-2014, 02:29 PM
I know, IABAD. I'm like. The Heart of the Matter not in the Top 5?

Freypower
01-08-2014, 05:31 PM
Taking You Home would not even be in my Top 20. NYM or ASWTDID or SG would not be in my Top 10. Also, although I know I shouldn't say so, I have heard BOS far too often. I prefer more obscure songs. My Top 10 is probably:

1. A Month Of Sundays
2. Love Rules
3. Damn It, Rose
4. The Last Worthless Evening
5. The End Of The Innocence
6. The Boys Of Summer
7. Dirty Laundry
8. Goodbye To A River
9. The Heart Of The Matter
10. Nobody Else In The World But You

I said it was more obscure. :-?

sodascouts
01-08-2014, 08:22 PM
I was just listening to my "Best of Don Henley" CD today. Mine would be:

1. Talking to the Moon
2. Heart of the Matter
3. Boys of Summer
4. The End of the Innocence
5. The Last Worthless Evening
6. Not Enough Love in the World (yes, Dreamer, lol)
7. Lilah
8. Dirty Laundry
9. All She Wants to Do Is Dance
10. You Don't Know Me At All

Honorable Mentions: Sunset Grill, New York Minute, I Will Not Go Quietly, and Taking You Home

thelastresort
01-08-2014, 08:37 PM
I have to be honest here, does anyone else not really care for Sunset Grill and ASWTDID? They were the low points of F1 for me, and they haven't grown on me at all, certainly not in the way his deeper, more emotional songs have.

Freypower
01-08-2014, 08:45 PM
I have to be honest here, does anyone else not really care for Sunset Grill and ASWTDID? They were the low points of F1 for me, and they haven't grown on me at all, certainly not in the way his deeper, more emotional songs have.

I tend to agree about both the F1 performances of these two songs & their overall impact. They come from my least favourite album with its walls of synthesisers, particularly noticeable in SG. Neither of them have aged very well, and if that is an unpopular opinion I'll have to live with it. I do like the lyrics of both songs, but not the over-production.

sodascouts
01-08-2014, 09:00 PM

They were out of place on F1, IMHO, but I do still enjoy the songs - especially ASWTDID. Lots of fun, that one.

shunlvswx
01-08-2014, 11:44 PM
I think I need to listen to the rest of the songs on his albums. I just know the ones he plays in concert.

Actually I hated ASWTDID, but I'm starting to like it. I turned up the volume when the song comes on the radio and raise my arm when they sing Woah!! I seem to hear it almost every day on the radio.

I'm ok with the list, but not the order of some songs.

UK TimFan
01-09-2014, 06:24 AM
Taking You Home would not even be in my Top 20. NYM or ASWTDID or SG would not be in my Top 10. Also, although I know I shouldn't say so, I have heard BOS far too often. I prefer more obscure songs. My Top 10 is probably:

1. A Month Of Sundays
2. Love Rules
3. Damn It, Rose
6. The Boys Of Summer
7. Dirty Laundry
8. Goodbye To A River
9. The Heart Of The Matter
10. Nobody Else In The World But You

I said it was more obscure. :-?
I'm with you on 'more obscure', FP. :smile: As well as 'I have heard BOS far too often' - that song leaves me cold.
Though I will have to send you to the naughty step for relegating NYM to outside your Top 10. That is one of my top 2.

My top 2 are interchangeable.

1= A Month Of Sundays
1= New York Minute

3 Goodbye to a river
4.Taking you home
Though those two could equally be #1, depending on my mood on the day. :grin:

5 Miss Ghost (wonder if I'll be the only person to nominate that one? :smile: )

After that it becomes a little more difficult as once again it would depend on my mood on a particular day. So take any five from the following nine.

Annabel
Everything is different now
For my wedding
Heart of the Matter
Land of the living
Not Enough Love In the World
Talking to the Moon
The End of the Innocence
The Last Worthless Evening

UK TimFan
01-09-2014, 06:29 AM
ASWTDID isn't that bad, but Sunset Grill (like BOS) leaves me cold.

sodascouts
01-09-2014, 12:05 PM
The problem is that Don Henley has so many excellent songs, it's hard to choose. Even these obscure ones are great.... even Miss Ghost.

The only one I must disagree with is FP's inclusion of "Damn It, Rose." Talk about a song leaving one cold... yikes. It doesn't even sound like him and it's one of my least favorite Don songs EVER.

Brooke
01-09-2014, 03:44 PM
Here's my top ten:

1. Heart of the Matter
2. Boys of Summer
3. Dirty Laundry
4. End of the Innocence
5. You Don't Know Me At All
6. Miss Ghost (I had it down, UKTF! Don sounds so sexy on it! I love it!)
7. Last Worthless Evening
8. New York Minute
9. Talking to the Moon
10. All She Wants To Do Is Dance (like someone said, it's fun!)

I have to add Sunset Grill as an honorable mention even though I agree it's dated with all the over production.

And as for Miss Ghost, I always imagine that Stevie Nicks is the Ghost! :lol:

WalshFan88
01-09-2014, 06:17 PM
1. The Boys Of Summer
2. The Heart Of The Matter
3. All She Wants To Do Is Dance
4. Dirty Laundry
6. New York Minute
7. Sunset Grill
8. The Last Worthless Evening
9. Not Enough Love In The World
10. Building The Perfect Beast

Building The Perfect Beast is definitely Henley's best work IMHO. TBOS and ASWTDID I love. Both are great live too, IMO. ASWTDID is a great rocker and makes you want to move. And TBOS is "the" Henley song (IMO), much like THIO is for Glenn for me.

Freypower
01-09-2014, 07:40 PM
It seems I am the only person who thinks BTPB is over-produced & dated because of all the synthesisers. I have never heard anyone else comment on this (except I note Brooke's comment above). There are also some tracks on it that just don't measure up in my opinion. These are the title track, Land Of The Living & Man With A Mission. It is and always has been my least favourite Henley album.

As for Damn It, Rose: I like the Dylanesque cynicism & world-weariness of it. I know a lot of people prefer songs to be uplifting & make you feel good & this song doesn't, but it has a reflective & literary quality to it which for me is absent in songs with heavy handed references to Methuselah. Soda also said he doesn't sound like himself. He does for me; his singing is extremely restrained & matches the darkness of the lyrics. I prefer his singing when it is more low key & less melodramatic (which is probably the wrong word).

I should have given an honourable mention to Talking To The Moon, though in case people think I shy away from the 'dramatic' songs.

UK TimFan
01-10-2014, 12:48 AM
Here's my top ten:

1. Heart of the Matter
2. Boys of Summer
3. Dirty Laundry
4. End of the Innocence
5. You Don't Know Me At All
6. Miss Ghost (I had it down, UKTF! Don sounds so sexy on it! I love it!)
7. Last Worthless Evening
8. New York Minute
9. Talking to the Moon
10. All She Wants To Do Is Dance (like someone said, it's fun!)

I have to add Sunset Grill as an honorable mention even though I agree it's dated with all the over production.

And as for Miss Ghost, I always imagine that Stevie Nicks is the Ghost! :lol:
I've never been able to decide if Miss Ghost is a person or drugs. Lyrics such as 'wicked little habit', 'temporary heaven', and 'empty dead-end avenue' could certainly be a reference to drugs. Or Stevie. :grin:

EaglesKiwi
01-10-2014, 03:31 AM
I don't think I could do a top ten (especially not while on iPad!!) but my list would definitely include Month of Sundays, Talking to the Moon, New York Minute, Lilah, goodbye to a River & heart of the Matter. There are many of his songs that could fill the remaining places, and very few that I dislike. :)

Brooke
01-10-2014, 04:33 PM
I've never been able to decide if Miss Ghost is a person or drugs. Lyrics such as 'wicked little habit', 'temporary heaven', and 'empty dead-end avenue' could certainly be a reference to drugs. Or Stevie. :grin:

That's definitely a possibility and we know Don likes for us to think there could be more than one interpretation of his songs.

Ive always been a dreamer
01-12-2014, 01:48 AM
Yeah - I don't think I can make a Top 10 list either - there are way too many awesome songs to pick from. I'll try to give it shot and see if I can narrow it down to ten. But, I can safely say that Damn It, Rose, Miss Ghost, and A Month of Sundays wouldn't make my list. :wink:

Witchy Woman
01-12-2014, 02:22 AM
After giving it a lot of thought, my top 10 is :

1. New York Minute
2. Sunset Grill
3. The Boys Of Summer
6. The Heart Of The Matter
7. Taking You Home
8. Dirty Laundry
9. Not Enough Love In The World
10. For My Wedding

I can't stand All She Wants To Do Is Dance. It has always been the thorn in my side as far as Henley songs go.