PDA

View Full Version : Don Henley appears on Jackson Browne tribute album - listen to him do "These Days"!

Thirsty&Hot
01-16-2014, 05:31 PM
Don Henley Pays Tribute To Jackson Browne On ‘These Days’ (Song Premiere) (http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2014/01/16/don-henley-pays-tribute-to-jackson-browne-on-these-days-song-premiere/)

so exciting! all around...Don sounds great and I love that there's a Jackson Browne tribute!

I can't believe Jackson wrote These Days when he was 16!

Brooke
01-16-2014, 05:54 PM
Jackson is amazing! Thanks for the heads up, T&H!

Don sounds fabulous on These Days, one of my favorite JB songs! I don't usually really care for other artists doing my favorite artists songs, but Don did do a great job on it! Might have to think on this one!

shunlvswx
01-16-2014, 06:03 PM
I love the song. Don did a great job. He sounds great. I never heard of this song. To tell the truth. I never heard of half of the songs that's on the album.

ktdids
01-16-2014, 07:26 PM
Okay, when I was 16, I was in high school worrying about taking the SAT and passing geometry.
Lovely song, a beautiful voice, I may have to develop my Jackson Browne musicology beyond the songs I already know of his.
And if Don's album sounds anything like this song, it'll be worth the wait!

deb828
01-16-2014, 08:45 PM
Wow--I love it. This album looks great! This must be the tribute album Linda had to decline (read in an interview). Looking forward to it--thanks for posting!

Thirsty&Hot
01-17-2014, 02:26 PM
Jackson is amazing! Thanks for the heads up, T&H!

Don sounds fabulous on These Days, one of my favorite JB songs! I don't usually really care for other artists doing my favorite artists songs, but Don did do a great job on it! Might have to think on this one!

me neither, but for this I think I will make the exception! :)

I dug into Jackson's whole discography several years ago and I do love him. There's more to him than Doctor My Eyes and Somebody's Baby.

one of my Jackson favorites is The Road.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTaVlQ8v1cQ

sodascouts
01-20-2014, 10:22 PM
Oh my gosh - this Jackson Browne thing is big news. I'm giving it its own thread.

ETA: Done. Don sounds FANTASTIC. Thanks for the link, T&H!!

Thirsty&Hot
01-21-2014, 12:01 AM
cool :thumbsup:

TimothyBFan
01-21-2014, 11:04 AM
Just realized I hadn't replied to this thread. This is awesome!! And I also had no idea that Jackson was only 16 when this was written. Amazing.

Brooke
01-21-2014, 03:14 PM
He baffles me with his smartness at such a young age!

Lilah
01-21-2014, 03:49 PM
I have thought since I first heard this song sung by Nico that those last lines ("Please, don't confront with my failures. I have not forgotten them") were so profound, poignant, and world weary. I had no clue he wrote it when he was only 16. How do you get that perspective at only 16? WOW, talk about an old soul… Henley does a stellar job on this beautiful song! No shock there!

Tiffanny Twisted
01-21-2014, 04:16 PM
such a great song and such a sexy voice.

Zanny Kingston
01-21-2014, 08:22 PM
I like that song... definitely buying that album

Tiffanny Twisted
01-21-2014, 08:29 PM
oh lol I am sorry did anybody doubt I was buying that cd too??:lol:

sodascouts
01-22-2014, 10:32 AM
I'll be pre-ordering it as soon as I can. April 1 is the release date, guys!

Prettymaid
02-01-2014, 09:30 PM
You guys, I just heard about this tribute album today. IMO, no one is more deserving of this than Jackson Browne, and he certainly has the catalog for these artists to pick from.

Thanks to Soda for bringing to my attention that Don is on it. I just listened and it actually made me a little misty. Great rendition of These Days.

sodascouts
02-01-2014, 09:58 PM
Nice to see you 'round these parts, PM!

If folks want to listen to another track on the album, you can hear Bonnie Raitt and David Lindley do "Everywhere I Go" at this link:
http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/5892840/bonnie-raitt-david-lindley-everywhere-i-go-exclusive-song-premiere

Freypower
02-02-2014, 06:25 PM
You guys, I just heard about this tribute album today. IMO, no one is more deserving of this than Jackson Browne, and he certainly has the catalog for these artists to pick from.

Thanks to Soda for bringing to my attention that Don is on it. I just listened and it actually made me a little misty. Great rendition of These Days.

I'm glad you posted too PM.:bye:

beforewesaygoodbye
02-06-2014, 02:57 AM
Love Don Henley's interpretation of These Days, a vintage Eagles sound to it. Looking forward to Cass County!

sodascouts
02-06-2014, 09:26 PM
Me too. Welcome, BWSG!

Houston Debutante
02-11-2014, 05:28 PM
Don Henley Pays Tribute To Jackson Browne On ‘These Days’ (Song Premiere) (http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2014/01/16/don-henley-pays-tribute-to-jackson-browne-on-these-days-song-premiere/)

so exciting! all around...Don sounds great and I love that there's a Jackson Browne tribute!

Unbelivable, Don sounds gorgeous. I am floored. Definitely going to buy this.

Tiffanny Twisted
03-08-2014, 09:02 PM
Can't wait for thus cd to come out

sodascouts
04-01-2014, 09:25 PM
So this is in stores today, I believe. My pre-order is set to arrive tomorrow; we'll see if it gets here on time. I'm excited!

Prettymaid
04-01-2014, 09:27 PM
Great! I'll be getting it!

ETA: it's available on iTunes now!

sodascouts
04-01-2014, 10:49 PM
If you bought the CD off of Amazon like I did, you get a free MP3 version in your Amazon cloud! It's available now, too!

Prettymaid
04-02-2014, 07:56 AM
Thanks!

Houston Debutante
04-02-2014, 12:37 PM
Got this, Don's is great as we already knew from streaming it, but most of the other songs are not done near as well. The cover of Running On Empty was especially bad. I guess it's pretty hard to compete with Jackson Browne's originals tho.

Brooke
04-02-2014, 03:24 PM
I haven't heard it, other than Don's, but yes, hard to beat JB.

Tiffanny Twisted
04-02-2014, 09:08 PM
I bought it on ITunes and added it to my don Henley play list of other songs he does with other artists.
Also bougth the bonnie raitt one too cause I love Bonnie Raitt,

Prettymaid
04-03-2014, 08:26 AM
If you bought the CD off of Amazon like I did, you get a free MP3 version in your Amazon cloud! It's available now, too!

Thanks for the heads up on this. I think it's a great deal! Apparently, CDs I have bought as gifts for my mom in the past couple years have also included the free mp3 version :yuck: :laugh:

Although I made the purchase last night, I didn't have a chance to listen. When I do I'll either post here or in JB's thread.

deb828
04-05-2014, 10:18 AM
I am really enjoying this CD set. Admittedly, some of the songs are lacking when compared with JB, but the songs are so enduring, it is a pleasure to listen to them in a new version.

Restless Heart
04-15-2014, 03:10 PM
Wow, I feel out of it. I didn't even know about this. I'm going to find it on iTunes.

Ive always been a dreamer
04-15-2014, 09:28 PM
Well there you go, RH. We've helped you out already. Enjoy! :thumbsup:

Prettymaid
04-16-2014, 07:25 AM
I enjoyed Don's version of These Days, although it's not my fave on the album. I'll have to listen to it several more times to determine that. My problem is that I am not familiar with most of these artists, and so when I'm listening as I'm getting ready for work in the morning I don't know who is singing. I will familiarize myself with it more and post then. But I'd really like to hear others' thoughts.

sodascouts
04-16-2014, 06:16 PM
Honestly, I find it pretty disappointing. There's only a few of them I enjoy. ROE was particularly bad - it's drained of energy and leaving out the line "I don't know about anyone but me" also detracts from the song. I'm like "Really? You're going to mess around with his lyrics?!"

I've already put the CD on the shelf.

Prettymaid
04-16-2014, 09:38 PM
I actually liked this version of ROE - not as much as the original, by any means, but I appreciated the very different, toned down version more than I thought I would. The ones I'm not too keen on are the ones where the artist did nothing different with the song, the melody, the phrasing...nothing. Take Fountain of Sorrow, for instance. I found that version very mundane, because the artist did nothing to make the song their own. But, that being said, one of my least favorites is Looking Into You, in which the artist changed it up so much that it is hardly recognizable. Fortunately for me, one of my favorites on the album happens to be my favorite JB song, For Everyman. I thought the artist did a good job making the song his own, yet not veering too far from the original. He even kept the drum crescendos in, which I love.

Again, I apologize for not knowing the names of the artists. I would get up and get my cd, but I have a cat sleeping on my lap. :D

Houston Debutante
04-21-2014, 01:43 PM
Agree about Looking Into You. I love that song and the verison on the tribute was :yuck:

L101
08-23-2014, 05:47 PM
I wasn't sure where to post this - but I'm only reading 'To the limit' now and it mentioned that Don sang vocals on 'Late for the sky' album with Jackson Browne.

I've listened to it at least 30 times in the last few days :blush: mainly because it is a class song and also because the harmonies are just mesmerizing especially when they sing the 'How long have I been sleeping' verse.

My question is - Is that Don singing on the song Late for the sky? I think it is because his voice stands out from the others and just matches Jackson's voice perfectly. Do anyone else think so too ??

Prettymaid
08-23-2014, 09:35 PM
I wasn't sure where to post this - but I'm only reading 'To the limit' now and it mentioned that Don sang vocals on 'Late for the sky' album with Jackson Browne.

I've listened to it at least 30 times in the last few days :blush: mainly because it is a class song and also because the harmonies are just mesmerizing especially when they sing the 'How long have I been sleeping' verse.

My question is - Is that Don singing on the song Late for the sky? I think it is because his voice stands out from the others and just matches Jackson's voice perfectly. Do anyone else think so too ??

According to this, Don sings on the song, The Late Show.

http://countdownkid.wordpress.com/2013/04/15/ck-retro-review-late-for-the-sky-by-jackson-browne/

I'll be the first one to admit that I have a hard time hearing individual backing vocals in most songs, but I will agree with you that Late For the Sky is a class song, like so many of Jackson's songs are.

L101
08-24-2014, 03:09 PM
According to this, Don sings on the song, The Late Show.

http://countdownkid.wordpress.com/2013/04/15/ck-retro-review-late-for-the-sky-by-jackson-browne/

I'll be the first one to admit that I have a hard time hearing individual backing vocals in most songs, but I will agree with you that Late For the Sky is a class song, like so many of Jackson's songs are.

Thanks for the info Prettymaid - Just listened to The Late Show - thats a good song as well. Even if its not DH on Late for the sky - I still love it!!

Just have to listen to the rest of Jackson's songs now - when I was growing up my older brothers (10 and 12 yrs older than me) used to listen to him all the time and I thought he was boring :grin: but thankfully my musical tastes have changed a bit now !