PDA

View Full Version : Los Angeles, CA at the Forum - Jan. 24, 2014

MaryCalifornia
01-25-2014, 04:24 AM
Timothy threw me a pick, I have it, hubby has it on video. More tomorrow. Crowd was great. No reprimands from Glenn. One from Don late in the show. I totally accosted poor Otis. Talked to him 3 times. Don made a joke about The Californians, which is 100% true and if you don't know it YouTube it SNL.

VAisForEagleLovers
01-25-2014, 09:44 AM
I can't wait to hear more details!!

Glennhoney
01-25-2014, 09:46 AM
Timothy threw me a pick, I have it, hubby has it on video. More tomorrow. Crowd was great. No reprimands from Glenn. One from Don late in the show. I totally accosted poor Otis. Talked to him 3 times. Don made a joke about The Californians, which is 100% true and if you don't know it YouTube it SNL.

...tell us more...:bow:

VAisForEagleLovers
01-25-2014, 10:45 AM
http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/vernakrose/HOTE/forum/24/TimandGlenn_zps0f3e8dd8.jpg

GlennLover
01-25-2014, 11:48 AM
MC, I can't wait to hear about your adventures! :blueblob:

Houston Baby
01-25-2014, 12:25 PM
Sounds awesome MC! Can't wait to hear more details!
I love The Californians skits on SNL. :lol::lol::lol:

sodascouts
01-25-2014, 02:22 PM
Sounds like you had a terrific time! So cool that you got a pick and met Otis! I love Glenn in lavender. I'm also very glad to hear they're toning down the chastisements.

As for The Californians, I'll have to check out that skit so I get the joke.

Eta: just watched one and I thought it was majorly lame, but maybe I just caught a bad one. I'll try to find a few others.

Ive always been a dreamer
01-25-2014, 02:24 PM
After getting that guitar pic from Timothy, I'm wondering if MC is still conscientious. :fainted:

tjh532
01-25-2014, 03:31 PM
That is so awesome! I can't wait to hear more :)

Glennsallnighter
01-25-2014, 06:38 PM
What a wonderful night MC! So cool that you got to talk to Otis too!

Great about the pick from Timothy (Ok, he gave me one in NYC as well - Its a great feeling!!)

MaryCalifornia
01-25-2014, 06:39 PM
OK, I'll start with the pick - after the last song, Desperado, while the lights were still out, I stealthily worked my way up to the stage and stood next to the Black Shirt. When the lights came on, Timothy was walking along the front of the stage towards me - he tossed two pics to people on my left. I said, "Timothy!" when he was in front of me and held my hand up and he just tossed it to me - just like that! I will attempt to add my photos after this post.

Otis - He came out of the black curtains at the bottom of the stage before the show started. I walked over to him and said, "Are you Otis?" and he said, "Yes." And I said, "Cool, bring me a pick during the intermission. I'm in row 5 right here on the aisle." About 10 minutes later he appeared next to me, looking for someone. I said, "You're an angel!" I don't know why, I didn't know what else to say to the little boy. About 10 minutes later, he came back again, still looking for his friends, and we figured out he was looking in the wrong section - he needed section C front and center. That was the last I saw of him.

The show was incredible - I can't believe how quickly the second set went, it seemed like 15 minutes.

How they sounded - I noticed no problems with anyone's singing or vocal range. On NKIT, when Glenn has to sing the word "around" (when you're not around...) he reached up and pushed on his ear monitor, and I think it was just a psychological thing because that's a difficult part, but he sounded just fine - he hit it. They all sounded sublime. They also seemed to be really enjoying playing the songs they've played so many times - it was a very relaxed and happy vibe. I saw TBS and Don talking a lot when the lights weren't on them. Don was not remotely curmudgeonly or crabby, neither was Glenn. Glenn did not chastise one time or make any comment. Don asked people not to use their cell phones about 2/3 of the way through, but it didn't come across in a bad way.

How they looked - TBS started out in a burgundy t-shirt, then switched to the white button down that VA posted. It is an interesting shirt, it doesn't have normal buttons, but two tiny black snaps or something side by side all the way down. Don is regrowing The Goatee, he seemed to be in some shades of dark gray. For some reason he looked super fine in profile when he was sitting at the little drum kit for WW. Glenn switched into the BEAUTIFUL lilac shirt he wore in the second half - gorgeous on him. For Steph - Will Hollis was very handsome. Hair parted on the left haha, and seemed to be freshly cut - nice sideburns. I was MESMERIZED by Joe's bronze glitter guitar.

What they said - We got to hear the plaintiff joke, the mother-is-half-a-word-joke, the TBS is the "ribbon on the package", and I can't remember the joke Glenn makes and then says, "That's funny" - that was actually funny. At the part when Don was talking about living in Topanga off of whatever street - that's when he mentioned The Californians. We do have a very strong habit of constantly describing the routes we drive, and when you start to notice it, you definitely start to make fun of yourself. Just prior to the show, 4 of us were saying, "Should we get on 73? NO! Just 405 all the way to Century, then left..." It's like, never ending. He had a big grin when he said it like they do in the sketch, "The Califooornians." (Soda - yes, the sketches are long and lame - the funny part is the driving directions, and maybe it's only funny if you know the area, it's exactly how Southern Californians talk.)

The issue of security - Our Red Shirt (local staff) was very sweet. The Black Shirts (Eagles security) in the area were OK, too. There was the obligatory one drunk lady one row ahead who got up every 5 minutes to dance, they must have dealt with her 20 times. At one point, Red Shirt (young black guy) actually waltzed her back to her seat - it was cute.

I have to say that the whole "Whack-a-Mole" game of nabbing people with cameras created a bizarre concert experience. It really takes over for those in the front. I get it if someone is clearly videoing the show, but 99% of those people just want a photo for their own purposes of their experience. I was quite moved during PMAIAR when Joe and Glenn were singing, and I spontaneously took out my phone to get a pic. The flash was off and the screen brightness was all the way down. The minute I held it up, Red Shirt came up and said, "Its really obvious", so that was it for me. Hubby was scolded twice. But, the crowd around us was great - when I looked around, everyone was grooving, singing, sitting when appropriate, standing and dancing when appropriate - I think by the 5th show a lot of people had gotten the word about the rules. No a-holes anywhere. Lots of pot smoke, but not to the point where it bothered me.

Favorite performances - Witchy Woman and Those Shoes. Who knew??

Would love to see them in Sacramento, Tim's home town - that's going to be awesome, but it's not gonna happen for me. I was looking forward to this for so long, and now it's back to reality...sigh...Best concert ever!

p.s. Glennsallnighter I got your mug and will mail on Monday!

sodascouts
01-25-2014, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the detailed review MC - it sounds fantastic. You make me want to go to another show again!

HenleyFan1971
01-25-2014, 06:57 PM
so Don's goatee trying to return lol wish I could have gone to the show show tonight it is very rare that they play 6 shows in one place hopefully they come back around and play another socal venue if so I am so there lol

MaryCalifornia
01-25-2014, 07:09 PM
http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a523/marymansfield/photo1_zps77ca8c82.jpg

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a523/marymansfield/photo_zpsad2fb37b.jpg

MaryCalifornia
01-25-2014, 07:13 PM

Great about the pick from Timothy (Ok, he gave me one in NYC as well - Its a great feeling!!)

Cool, GA. Is Timothy the only one who hands them out, or do the other guys as well? (I was focused laser-like on my prey, haha! Didn't even see what the others were doing.)

VAisForEagleLovers
01-25-2014, 07:14 PM
MC, great review!! I like how you refer to 'The Goatee' in capital letters! It's how I think of it, too. ITA about the second set going by in a flash.

I agree about the no-photo policy being a little overzealous, but I guess it's their concert and their decision. What I do like is not having the people in front of me putting their cameras in my line of sight. With the overzealous security, even if they do sneak in pics, they keep it down low and I don't have to watch the concert through the back of someone's phone. So, I for one hope they keep the rule.

HenleyFan1971
01-25-2014, 07:26 PM
anybody going to final show tonight?

Tiffanny Twisted
01-25-2014, 07:55 PM

ooh I have one too from atlantic city at the Borgata --long road out of eden tour :blueblob:

Tiffanny Twisted
01-25-2014, 08:04 PM
nice review mc sounds like you had a blast.
I gotta say ww was never my fave song (Sorry) but since having watched it live over and over on youtube it is my fave ,,,,
thanks for the post but I cant see your picture

CalPolySLO
01-25-2014, 08:09 PM
Hi MaryCalifornia,

This is my first time posting to this message board but I had to after reading your posts and review of the concert last night. You must have been sitting 2 rows directly behind my husband and I. We were in Section B, row 3, seats 15 and 16. This was our first Eagles concert on the floor, and we had an amazing and wonderful time! We paid quite a bit for our tickets, and do not attend concerts regularly. We told ourselves to be respectful of everyone, but at the same time have fun.

Security was "on it" last night and I didn't bring my phone out once all evening…until the end (when I thought I could get away with 1 quick picture). I waited till both the red and black shirts were distracted (once again) by the drunk lady to the right and placed my phone quickly on my left side, covered entirely by my hand with no light, just waiting for the right moment. Within a minute, an intimidating man (not a red or black shirt…he was in a black jacket) asked me nicely to put it away. I thought "where in the heck did you come from and how on earth did ever see me do that?' So, I didn't attempt it again.

You are absolutely right with the second set. I truly couldn't believe how fast it went. And, I believe I witnessed your excitement when Timothy gave you a guitar pick (if you have blonde hair and had a huge smile). I didn't notice the other band members giving out guitar picks. However, my husband and I waited till the crowd dispersed (to soak in the entire expensive experience) before leaving. The "roadies" did unexpectedly throw picks left on the stage floor and I received one. It wasn't until I saw the pictures of your pick (beautiful and what a wonderful memory) that I looked closely at mine. Earlier, it was just a white pick. But…after looking again, I noticed it had Glenn's name and "Eagles 2014" on it. It is difficult to read, but there. So my assumption is Glenn used it last night?!?

I could go on and on about the concert last night, but wanted to reply back to your post. Sounds like you had a great time.

VAisForEagleLovers
01-25-2014, 08:14 PM
Cal, welcome to The Border! Glad to have you here!

Yes, I'd guess if Glenn's name isn't easily viewed then he rubbed it off by using it! How cool! I did see the crew give out picks after the LA shows I went to, after shows last year they said it was 'against policy'.

Again, welcome, and thanks for your review!

Tiffanny Twisted
01-25-2014, 08:26 PM
welcome CAL and thanks for posting a review....
quite an accomplishment for your first post lol :bow:
glad you had fun and ooh a GF pic used by GF hubba hubba himself WOW:fainted:

sodascouts
01-25-2014, 08:55 PM
Welcome, Cal! How cool!

VAisForEagleLovers
01-25-2014, 08:59 PM
I'm glad that Glenn did an awesome job on NKIT once again. I woke up in the middle of the night last night and was thinking of the concert, no idea why. I did the math and was thinking they'd be a song or two into the second set, and I fell back asleep thinking of NKIT. So I probably had good dreams that I don't remember!

Mary, that is a great picture, BTW!

Houston Baby
01-25-2014, 09:44 PM
Outstanding Cal! For your first time on the floor for an EAGLES concert, it sounds like a memorable one! Used GF pick - lucky you!!

And WELCOME!!!
Have fun here!

MaryCalifornia
01-25-2014, 10:49 PM
Hey CAL - thanks for posting! Yes, I was right behind you - did you have on a cute little dress? And yes, blond and SMILING is a good description of me - see here right before they went on! Pure joy...

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a523/marymansfield/3d24c3ec-6071-42c6-af62-47ce741b9ff1_zps8468408e.jpg

TT - agree that WW is not in my top 20 Eagles songs, but they way they've arranged it...wow.

sodascouts
01-25-2014, 10:51 PM
No wonder Timothy gave you that pick - that's the smile of a thrilled fan for sure! Very cute!

MaryCalifornia
01-25-2014, 11:11 PM
Nice video of TIE -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvr0LjLQ9W0

CalPolySLO
01-25-2014, 11:23 PM
Thank you everyone for being so welcoming! I've been reading the boards but after my experience last night and reading MC's review finally decided to join.

Yes, MC I was wearing a dress - thank you for the compliment on it being cute! And you are the girl I thought you were. What a great picture of you.

My hubby took some pictures of the pic I received to post here. As you can see it is very difficult to read the side that says Eagles 2014 and almost impossible to read the side that says Glenn Frey. A bit easier to see in person. Wow, so excited to have it as a memory of a wonderful evening.

Tiffanny Twisted
01-26-2014, 12:20 AM
Hey CAL - thanks for posting! Yes, I was right behind you - did you have on a cute little dress? And yes, blond and SMILING is a good description of me - see here right before they went on! Pure joy...

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a523/marymansfield/3d24c3ec-6071-42c6-af62-47ce741b9ff1_zps8468408e.jpg

TT - agree that WW is not in my top 20 Eagles songs, but they way they've arranged it...wow.

Wow u look like one happy camper!
Yep I m so in love with this version of ww I hopeit wi ds up recorded on cd or dvd
Love it

01-26-2014, 01:41 PM
Thanks so much MC and Cal (and welcome to The Border, Cal). I loved reading your reviews - your enthusiasm shines through with every word. How cool is it that you both got guitar pics and remember each other from the show. And that is such a lovely photo of you, MC. I've said many times how much better it is to read reviews from a true fans that really appreciate a concert than from a paid critic who is doing a job, knows very little about the band, and has to prove their coolness by taking lame jabs at the band or its fans. I'm so glad you both had a great time at the show.

And :cheers: to the EAGLES for yet another great performance. It's amazing that are able to consistently perform at such a high level night after night!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Houston Baby
01-26-2014, 02:13 PM
Great photo MC! Very pretty & you definitely look thrilled to be there! What great memories for you!

Brooke
01-27-2014, 02:56 PM
MC and Cal, thanks so much for your reviews and I'm glad you enjoyed yourselves! Very cool that you both got picks!

MC, wonderful pic of you too!

And Cal, welcome to the Border! :bye:

SilverMoon
01-27-2014, 07:34 PM

Beautiful picture of you, Mary! And how cool that Timothy gave you a pick!

MaryCalifornia
01-27-2014, 08:00 PM
Thanks everyone. Feeling sort of low after all of the excitement and back to the week day routine. I'll bet that's normal for those who go to these shows regularly. I would definitely feel better if I had another show to look forward to! Gotta figure it out. Need the same or similar seat. And a large sum of unexpected monies to come my way :inlove:

GlennLover
01-27-2014, 08:12 PM
Thanks everyone. Feeling sort of low after all of the excitement and back to the week day routine. I'll bet that's normal for those who go to these shows regularly. I would definitely feel better if I had another show to look forward to! Gotta figure it out. Need the same or similar seat. And a large sum of unexpected monies to come my way :inlove:

You've got what we call 'PEW' (post Eagles' withdrawal). Very common among Eagle fans after a concert when we com back down to earth! The best treatment is to OD on the band by watching as many videos & listening to as much of their music as possible. There is no real cure, however. Seeing another concert will give temporary relief. It also helps to come on 'The Border' for Eagle therapy.

BTW, you can also get PGW, PDW, PTW & PJW after attending solo concerts.

tjh532
01-27-2014, 09:25 PM

Beautiful pic! It sounds like you had a fabulous time - and a Timothy pick to boot! What a great night :)

Brooke
01-28-2014, 10:28 AM
You've got what we call 'PEW' (post Eagles' withdrawal). Very common among Eagle fans after a concert when we com back down to earth! The best treatment is to OD on the band by watching as many videos & listening to as much of their music as possible. There is no real cure, however. Seeing another concert will give temporary relief. It also helps to come on 'The Border' for Eagle therapy.

BTW, you can also get PGW, PDW, PTW & PJW after attending solo concerts.

Yup, MC, that's about all you can do for it! It helps a lot! :lol:

MaryCalifornia
01-28-2014, 07:44 PM
Thanks Glennlover and Brooke. I'm totally going to have to find an Eagles Anonymous (EA) meeting in my neighborhood! "I'm Mary and I suffer from both PEW and PTW...God grant me the ability to book another show on this tour..." etc...

sodascouts
01-28-2014, 08:28 PM
These so-called cures can backfire. I've been listening to the Eagles non-stop since LA, and now I desperately want to go to another show!

ktdids
01-28-2014, 10:16 PM
These so-called cures can backfire. I've been listening to the Eagles non-stop since LA, and now I desperately want to go to another show!

I guess what I had before the 3 New York Shows was PES - Pre Eagles Syndrome - where I had their songs playing chronologically, non stop, for about a month on my MP3 player. At least that's what I'll admit to!

Glennsallnighter
01-29-2014, 02:13 PM

I know the feeling Soda! I'm playing them all the time now!

01-29-2014, 02:17 PM
I guess what I had before the 3 New York Shows was PES - Pre Eagles Syndrome - where I had their songs playing chronologically, non stop, for about a month on my MP3 player. At least that's what I'll admit to!

OMG - now we've got a new diagnosis for our abnormal behavior ... PES! Now, I feel so much better. :grin:

carol7lynn
02-04-2014, 07:44 PM
There was an interesting article in today's L.A. Times Business section about an avid Eagles fan from Redlands, CA that bought a ticket for a seat from TM that didn't exist. That's a first.

Here is the link:
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-lazarus-20140204,0,1818705.column#axzz2sOqbElIA

Carol-Lynn

sodascouts
02-04-2014, 08:23 PM
I'm glad he got recompense. Too bad that it only happened because he took it to the media.

Glennsallnighter
02-11-2014, 02:40 PM
And Verna features in the LA times pic!!

Brooke
02-11-2014, 04:03 PM
How aggravating! I guess he did get something, but really!

Is Verna the blond in the center of the pic with the black & white top?

VAisForEagleLovers
02-11-2014, 09:47 PM
I wish... I'm sitting down. Now with a big circle around me. Darn, I should have made a golden one and put it above my head, like a halo.

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/vernakrose/HOTE/forum/15/me1_zpse02bcd7b.jpg

Houston Baby
02-11-2014, 10:56 PM
I wish... I'm sitting down. Now with a big circle around me. Darn, I should have made a golden one and put it above my head,

LOL - Good one VA!! :rofl:

Brooke
02-12-2014, 11:00 AM
Love it VA! :hilarious: