PDA

View Full Version : SAP Center, San Jose, CA - 1/29/2014

secret squirrel
01-30-2014, 12:20 PM
Review from a curmudgeon who can't even spell Witchy Woman and doesn't seem to like country rock. Please merge if there's already a review thread for this. I couldn't see it.

http://www.mercurynews.com/music/ci_25025439/review-eagles-fly-through-history-lesson

SS
xx
http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/christian-kane-covered-in-glory.html

bluefeather
01-30-2014, 03:51 PM
Ugh, how very negative review, clearly he didn't pay much attention to the music, though I understand his point about the first set being a bit slow, still he should have appreciated the beauty of the "slow" numbers, also it annoys me when reviewers talk about Joe like he's the only really interesting person on stage:evil:

Victim of Love
01-30-2014, 04:23 PM
Dear Jim Harrington: Didn't your mother ever tell you if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all?

Woodstock
01-30-2014, 06:47 PM
Jim Harrington's reviews are kind of hit and miss sometimes...so just take them with a grain of salt. I was at the show last night and thought it was amazing. I actually thought Joe was a little too over the top (if that's possible for Joe). He was dancing around being very animated in his glittery t-shirt. Last night was a first for me in that I sat row 2 dead center. When Don and Glenn came out I was directly in front of Don (1st row was still empty at this point) and I must say it was a little intimidating. I felt a little too exposed, maybe that's just me being weird. But I would sit there again in a heartbeat!! I went alone and sat between two 6 foot giants, they were nice, but I felt like a sandwich! The sound at SAP isn't always the best but the guys sounded great, their harmonies were spot on as always. Don in particular sounded good. Loved the red and blue plaid shirt Timothy changed into after the break, he was especially talkative last night. Glenn was in a dancing mood and Bernie seemed a little quiet, not that he says much. Little bummed today, going thru withdrawals and I don't even know why cause I'm going to tomorrow's show. I only took 3 pictures and they didn't come out that great. Tomorrow I'm sneaking in a small camera!! I did the VIP thing and got free parking, 2 drinks, tote bag, belt buckle, $ clip, cap, scarf & dinner...that was a surprise, I would have been happy with just free parking and my amazing seat!!

MaryCalifornia
01-30-2014, 07:28 PM
Thanks, Woodstock! That's funny about Don being right in front of you - you definitely feel like you have to be acting right and doing everything the way he wants it. Hopefully someone will post a pic of TBS's plaid shirt!!! Congrats on your great seats/VIP experience last night. If the tote bags are the same ones they sell for $20, they're really nice - I wanted one but it wasn't in the budget. Have fun! Write again after tomorrow! (OMG talkative Timmy...:heart:)

VAisForEagleLovers
01-30-2014, 07:55 PM
I edited the thread title to just be the concert last night.

Woodstock, I know what you mean about being so close being somewhat intimidating. All I can say is that it gets easier with practice! Glad to hear the guys were on their 'A' game last night, again!

VAisForEagleLovers
01-30-2014, 08:00 PM
The hoped for picture:

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/vernakrose/HOTE/san%20jose%20jan%2029/1_zpsa67c273f.jpg

VAisForEagleLovers
01-30-2014, 08:10 PM
Amusing tweet:
SILICON VALLEY AUDIENCE ON LOCK DOWN. People at the #Eagles concert can't use their phones, strict enforcement. People in shock haha!

MaryCalifornia
01-30-2014, 10:16 PM
Oh that is niiice!! Love the shirt - what a good pic.

I don't know if anyone else noticed, but in all of the pics from San Jose, it looks to me like Don Henley has been bustin' a move in the fitness department, he looks REALLY good.

That tweet is classic. "Lockdown" !!

Wildthyme
01-31-2014, 01:10 AM
Well I am back home in Oregon from my trip to the Bay Area and I am ready to put in my two cents worth about the concert last night (since I was fortunate enough to be there).

My trip to Sunnyvale was unexpected so I decided to take a shot and see if I could get a decent seat on the night of the concert. After paying $25 to park I decided that even if I had to take a ticket in the nosebleed section I was going to the concert. Luckily I ran into a young couple who had an extra ticket on the lower side section next to the stage on Joe's side. It was in the 15th row and on the far right so I was pretty high up and to the side and almost behind the guys but they took $70 for a ticket with a face value of $186 so I considered myself pretty lucky.

I thoroughly enjoyed the show. I was a little concerned at first because while he and Glenn sounded good when they harmonized on Saturday Night, Don's speaking voice was pretty rough (like he might have a cold). He may have been a wee bit off the first couple songs but once his voice warmed up he sounded great as usual (btw the goatee is back). Glenn was in fine voice as well and looking very good!

The audience did seem a bit subdued early on but there was lots of cheering for Bernie when he came out on stage and again when they dedicated a song to Randy Meisner (whom they acknowledged has been having health problems). The audience warmed up and by the time the boys started rocking everyone around me was chair dancing and singing along.

Timmy looked and sounded wonderful last night and was more animated and talkative than usual (maybe he was still on a "high" from performing on his home turf the night before). And I have to agree with Woodstock that the plaid shirt looked great on him! Joe was indeed very energetic last night and as always the audience responded him. He plays and sings so well (I don't think I have ever heard him have an off night) and he keeps looking better and better lately. Not sure what he is doing but he should keep it up. :)

It was truly awesome to get to hear songs performed that I had never heard live before or had not heard since the Farewell I tour. The only downside to the whole experience was the cellphone police. In my section if you even dared to take your phone out of your purse or pocket one of them descended on you almost immediately with orders to "put it away NOW". I am not sure what harm letting us take pictures sans flash would have caused but absolutely no phone use was being tolerated.

I can't tell you how happy I am that I got to see this show. I didn't think there was even a remote chance that I would see them this tour so I feel really blessed to have been in attendance!

Woodstock
01-31-2014, 01:24 AM
FYI about that red and blue plaid shirt....the bottom button wasn't buttoned and at the very end when he raised both his hands to wave we got to see a little bit of tummy action. Yahoo. I know this is very important stuff that a few of you needed to know about!! And also still no necklaces or bracelets, he was only wearing a small silver earring.

MaryCalifornia
01-31-2014, 02:40 AM
FYI about that red and blue plaid shirt....the bottom button wasn't buttoned and at the very end when he raised both his hands to wave we got to see a little bit of tummy action. Yahoo. I know this is very important stuff that a few of you needed to know about!! And also still no necklaces or bracelets, he was only wearing a small silver earring.

This is the best concert review I have ever read.

sodascouts
01-31-2014, 08:26 AM
Well I am back home in Oregon from my trip to the Bay Area and I am ready to put in my two cents worth about the concert last night (since I was fortunate enough to be there).

My trip to Sunnyvale was unexpected so I decided to take a shot and see if I could get a decent seat on the night of the concert. After paying $25 to park I decided that even if I had to take a ticket in the nosebleed section I was going to the concert. Luckily I ran into a young couple who had an extra ticket on the lower side section next to the stage on Joe's side. It was in the 15th row and on the far right so I was pretty high up and to the side and almost behind the guys but they took $70 for a ticket with a face value of $186 so I considered myself pretty lucky.

I thoroughly enjoyed the show. I was a little concerned at first because while he and Glenn sounded good when they harmonized on Saturday Night, Don's speaking voice was pretty rough (like he might have a cold). He may have been a wee bit off the first couple songs but once his voice warmed up he sounded great as usual (btw the goatee is back). Glenn was in fine voice as well and looking very good!

The audience did seem a bit subdued early on but there was lots of cheering for Bernie when he came out on stage and again when they dedicated a song to Randy Meisner (whom they acknowledged has been having health problems). The audience warmed up and by the time the boys started rocking everyone around me was chair dancing and singing along.

Timmy looked and sounded wonderful last night and was more animated and talkative than usual (maybe he was still on a "high" from performing on his home turf the night before). And I have to agree with Woodstock that the plaid shirt looked great on him! Joe was indeed very energetic last night and as always the audience responded him. He plays and sings so well (I don't think I have ever heard him have an off night) and he keeps looking better and better lately. Not sure what he is doing but he should keep it up. :)

It was truly awesome to get to hear songs performed that I had never heard live before or had not heard since the Farewell I tour. The only downside to the whole experience was the cellphone police. In my section if you even dared to take your phone out of your purse or pocket one of them descended on you almost immediately with orders to "put it away NOW". I am not sure what harm letting us take pictures sans flash would have caused but absolutely no phone use was being tolerated.

I can't tell you how happy I am that I got to see this show. I didn't think there was even a remote chance that I would see them this tour so I feel really blessed to have been in attendance!

Thanks for the review. So glad you got to go, and that you had such a great time!

shunlvswx
01-31-2014, 08:52 AM
Thanks for the recaps. It makes me so bad want to go to New Orleans.

So Timothy is still wearing his earring. I had wonder if he was still wearing his earring since he hasn't been wearing his bracelets and necklace lately.

I saw on Fastlane Facebook page(I don't remember the link to the pictures. I need to find it.) that Don's goatee is back. Well it was nice when lasted. LOL

Don is looking good.

VAisForEagleLovers
01-31-2014, 09:54 AM
Just as a comment about the 'sans flash', earlier concerts on this tour allowed pictures without flash and people still used flash, even when the 'police' told them to stop. Some phones revert to using flash once it goes into standby mode, and so people don't even realize the flash is back on until they take the picture. Even with security being so very strict in LA, you could still see people using their flash, which guarantees security will figure out you're taking pictures.

I'm so glad that you were able to get in and that you had such a good time!!

Brooke
01-31-2014, 11:27 AM
Woodstock and Wildthyme, thanks so much for your reviews! Sounds like the guys are in great form! I'm so glad you both got to go!

I love Tim's plaid shirt too! :thumbsup:

GlennLover
01-31-2014, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the review. So glad you got to go, and that you had such a great time!

I second that! :nod::-)

Anne_03
02-19-2014, 02:02 AM
This concert was too awesome!! I especially loved:
-the band intros
-In the City
-Life in the Fast Lane
-Life's Been Good
-Hotel California

I miss it so much I keep listening to all their songs :(

sodascouts
02-19-2014, 02:24 PM
Glad you had a good time. Welcome!

Ive always been a dreamer
02-19-2014, 02:57 PM
Welcome from me too, Anne. I'm also glad you love the show. Can't say I blame you. :wink: :grin:

Anne_03
02-19-2014, 09:53 PM
Thank you guys for the warm welcome =]

Brooklyn Roads
02-24-2014, 04:48 PM
Amusing tweet:
SILICON VALLEY AUDIENCE ON LOCK DOWN. People at the #Eagles concert can't use their phones, strict enforcement. People in shock haha!

I was actually at the 1/31 concert in San Jose. They added this concert when ticket demands got too high!

However, people were fairly respectful with their phones, but during *I Believe* Desperado being performed, people started lighting up their iPhones to act as lighters. It actually was quite magical to watch each phone light up, one by one. I am glad they didn't get in trouble for it.

Did anyone else experience this at the concerts?

Houston Baby
02-24-2014, 08:45 PM
However, people were fairly respectful with their phones, but during *I Believe* Desperado being performed, people started lighting up their iPhones to act as lighters. It actually was quite magical to watch each phone light up, one by one. I am glad they didn't get in trouble for it.

Did anyone else experience this at the concerts?

In Houston they did it before & during the encores. You're right, it was so cool looking!

bluefeather
02-24-2014, 08:52 PM
beautiful but actual lighters would've been better, don't know if they'r allowed anymore though

Brooke
02-25-2014, 01:26 PM
In Houston they did it before & during the encores. You're right, it was so cool looking!

Lots of people did it in St. Louis too! It is pretty cool!

sodascouts
02-25-2014, 03:12 PM
I've seen that for several years now. Since lighters are a no-no, people use phones to light up the venue. I did it, too, until the Eagles got so bad about cell phones this year.

Brooklyn Roads
02-26-2014, 03:19 AM
I've seen that for several years now. Since lighters are a no-no, people use phones to light up the venue. I did it, too, until the Eagles got so bad about cell phones this year.

Yeah, I saw it at the Fleetwood Mac tour last year, too, and a few other concerts. The Eagles concert was the best demonstration I'd seen by far, maybe because more and more people have smart phones now.

pwats31
09-26-2014, 11:17 AM
Here's a nice video I found. Unfortunately it's only one song, but hopefully they'll have some others at some point.

http://www.evergig.com/concerts/2014/01/29/SAP_Center_at_San_Jose_San_Jose/Eagles

Brooke
09-26-2014, 01:37 PM
Great video! Thanks for sharing!

Houston Baby
10-04-2014, 08:17 PM
Thank you for sharing PW!!