PDA

View Full Version : How Long

Pages : [1] 2

DonFan
08-16-2007, 12:53 PM
I just heard the new single and I love it! It is a remake of the old song, with Glenn & Don sharing the lead and the Eagles signature harmonies throughout, and killer guitar work by Joe. It is really good! Has anyone else heard it yet?

EasyFeeling
08-16-2007, 01:55 PM
What? :shock: :shock: New single??? Do you have it on your PC? Can you email me that song then, pleeeeeeease?

DonFan
08-16-2007, 02:24 PM
No, sorry, I don't have it on my PC, I listened to it on a live stream from a radio station in Tampa. (I have been calling and calling my local radio stations here and no one seems to know about it . :roll: )

The news blurb about it is posted on eaglesonlinecentral, but I read the info first on usatoday.com. It also said the video of the single will be available Sunday night at midnight! Can't wait to see it!

EasyFeeling
08-16-2007, 02:42 PM
OMG... does that mean I'm not able to hear it in Germany? :shock:
I've just read on eaglescentralonline about a download. I wonder if it's available for everyone. :?

EasyFeeling
08-16-2007, 03:06 PM
Wooooohoooo, I'm listening to How Long right now. How cool! :D :D

DonFan
08-16-2007, 03:09 PM
Where did you finally get to hear it, EF?

EasyFeeling
08-16-2007, 03:21 PM
I called my aunt in the USA and asked her if she has already heard the new song. She said yes and emailed me a link to a radio station with a live stream so I was waiting for it and it lasted 15 minutes, cool :D

DonFan
08-16-2007, 03:37 PM
That is cool! My cousin lives in Tampa & I have been streaming the Tampa Bay station, WRBQ, all morning. I actually got through on their 1-800 number and requested it for the second time, and he just played it again. It just sounds better & better!

EasyFeeling
08-16-2007, 03:44 PM
It's a great song and sounds like the "old" Eagles. Love it! :D

DonFan
08-16-2007, 04:49 PM
The song is up on the Eagles myspace page:

http://www.myspace.com/eaglesmusic

Molly
08-16-2007, 05:59 PM
It's also available on the band's official site.

They sound great! New vintage Eagles -I love it!!

Freypower
08-16-2007, 07:00 PM
I don't want to be a downer but this is precisely what I hoped would not happen. A remake. Is it the Ace song or the J.D. Souther song? This is hardly a progression for them.

Molly
08-16-2007, 07:05 PM
It's the JD Souther song, I believe.

Well, I guess to each his own-coz that's the Eagle's sound I was hoping for.

Freypower
08-16-2007, 07:13 PM
I haven't heard it yet so I can't comment. I rather hoped they would give us something that is not over 30 years old, that's all.

thelongrun
08-16-2007, 07:19 PM
love this Song, is 100% pure J.D. Souther and a dream come true for me they have recorded it, I always love that one wich certainly is also 100% Eagles Classic sound, regardless is J.D.'s

Anyways.... Xtmas time for us

Freypower
08-16-2007, 07:48 PM
OK.... while I still think that recording something so old is not a positive move, now that I have heard it I certainly agree it's vintage Eagles. I like the edge Glenn's voice has and that the lead is shared with Don. To me the guitar sounds more like Steuart than Joe. I hope it's Don playing drums.

I can't download it though, either at eaglesband.com or at myspace.com, but I read that when you ORDER THE ALBUM NEXT WEEK you get it as a free download. So....

I have to thank eaglesband.com for taking their overseas fans into consideration.

I'm still coming to grips with this, OK!??

Maleah
08-16-2007, 08:07 PM
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE the new song! The harmony........wow.........perfection! Don and Glenn..........perfection :D LOVE the shared vocals! It does sound very vintage Eagles and it's great! I think it sounds like Joe's guitar playing, but it's not as "rock" because, imo, it's more of a country sounding song. It sounds great and if this is what the entire album sounds like..........I'm in heaven :D

Maleah
08-16-2007, 08:11 PM
Mentions the new single! Has a pic I haven't seen either!

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003627098

"The Eagles have unveiled "How Long," the first single from "Long Road Out of Eden," their first new studio album in 28 years.

The cut was delivered today (Aug. 16) to U.S. radio outlets and will be available exclusively via walmart.com, samsclub.com and eaglesband.com starting Monday. A video for the track, shot recently in Los Angeles, premieres the same day on CMT.

"Long Road Out of Eden," which will also only be available at Wal-Mart, Sam's Club and via the band's Web site, is due in October. Guitarist Joe Walsh recently told Billboard.com the Eagles will tour extensively next year in support of the project.

"I didn't want us to be too ballad-y" on the album, Walsh said. "We need some stuff we can play live, so I made sure there was that element in the record."

The Eagles will be back on stage in October during a six-night stand with the Dixie Chicks as part of the opening of the new Nokia Theatre L.A. Live in downtown Los Angeles."

Maleah
08-16-2007, 08:16 PM
I've listened to it like 5 times in a row! :lol:

Brooke
08-16-2007, 10:31 PM
OMG! I'm gone all day and look what happens! Just listened, hollered at hubby to come listen and we both LOVE it! :yay:

I guess it is the JD song? I'm surprised they would release a remake as the first song off the new album, but I have to say it sounds fantastic! Finally! :grooving: :thumbsup:

Freypower
08-16-2007, 11:18 PM
Yes, it is the J.D. Souther song.

I just hope there are some Frey/Henley songs on this album. I suppose those are being saved. This track has the advantage of being instantly accessible and catchy.

And how can I complain when I have got what I've asked for for years - a Frey/Henley duet? Glenn sounds extremely cool and nervy on it. 8)

Maleah
08-16-2007, 11:42 PM
Glenn's voice has a kind of rasp to it on some parts and I love it!

Mrs Frey
08-17-2007, 07:30 AM
Thank you everyone for the information and links about this single. I listened to it this morning in my tea break and all I can say is that it's absolutely GORGEOUS. Glenn :heart: and Don's lead vocals, the harmonies, the instrumentation... it's how we've come to know and love the Eagles! Their brilliance continues!! I am so excited about this song because since I downloaded the 1972 concert version from GFO, I've loved it (it also features the first example of Glenn :heart: clutching his ear to hear himself better :blush: ), and was disappointed to find that it wasn't on any of their albums (which I'm still trying to get together :blush: :blush: ). OH, I'm so happy about this. I'm going to listen to it again, now!

Will the album not be on general release? :?

DonFan
08-17-2007, 09:08 AM
Here is the first review I've read, posted today on zmemusic.com:
-------------------------------------------------------------------

So you’re having your daily stroll with the car, heading to your local Wal-Mart, listening to your favorite radio station, when all of a sudden a strange deja-vu hits you like a punch to the kisser. You stop the car and say to yourself ‘Man this a Eagles song, but I’ve never heard this before’. That’s because this is their first single in 14 years, called ‘How Long’, released all over the air waves and probably airing on a radio station near you as we speak.

Retro is a good word to describe the track, and probably the whole album “The Long Road Out of Eden”, which we warned you about a while back. Joe Walsh’s guitar old-school Nashville chopping, together with Don Henley’s country/blues vocals might have made a smashing hit in the ’70s, but certainly not in 2007. The song’s been written in 1972 by JD Souther, so that would explain the retro sound. Basically it’s a classic Eagles song, if you love the Eagles you’ll love this song, if you hate the Eagles then you’ll this song. You can listen to it at the band’s myspace.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I think we are going to read a lot of reviews in this same vein. The DJ I talked with yesterday in Tampa loved the Eagles and said he thought the song was great, but some people, like the reviewer above, are just pre-disposed to dislike the Eagles.

DonFan
08-17-2007, 09:24 AM
More info from the Walmart site---here is the track list:
There are some VERY intriguing titles here!

1. No More Walks In The Wood

2. How Long

3. What Do I Do With My Heart

4. Waiting In The Weeds

5. I Don't Want To Hear Anymore

6. Guilty Of The Crime

7. I Love To Watch A Woman Dance

8. Center Of The Universe

9. Do Something

10. Fast Company

11. It's Your World Now

12. No More Cloudy Days

13. Long Road Out Of Eden

14. Somebody

15. Lately (Last Good Time In Town)

16. Frail Grasp On The Big Picture

17. Busy Being Fabulous

18. Business As Usual

19. You're Not Alone

20. I Dreamed There Was No War

21. Long Road Out Of Eden, Pt.2

22. Hole In The World

Release date:10/30/2007

Mrs Frey
08-17-2007, 09:32 AM
Thanks for this review, DF!

I've learnt to ignore negativity from critics :roll:. It's their opinion, and I suppose they have a right to it. This is a beautiful recording, and those, IMHO, with a knowledge of good music, will appreciate just how brilliant it is. There is too little great music available these days, and the fact that a band as great as the Eagles have released yet more great music is a breath of fresh air, and music to my ears, in both senses of the expression!

Record companies are too focused on gimmicks these days - no sooner have new acts appeared when they disappear again. It doesn't bother the record companies, as they have made their quick bucks, and go on to the next forgettable act. It's all such a shame, really, that everything has become about money. Fortunately, there are true music lovers around such as the people on The Border, who are able to appreciate "real music, sung and played by real musicians", to quote Glenn :heart: from his MTV Australia interview in 1988.

glenneaglesfan
08-17-2007, 10:17 AM
Wow, this is almost too much to take on board! A new song and a firm date for the album and a chance to preorder it on Monday AND a video coming out! Gasp!

I've just listened to it twice on eaglesband and I love it. I love both Glenn's and Don's vocals, the fact that it is shared, and the real Eagles harmonies - fabulous. MF, I've had that 1972 download on my computer for months, but hadn't actually listened to it - thanks for reminding me. I'll have to compare it now. I'm rabbiting now - Glenn sounds magnificent, and now I've got that flash player thingie working I'm listening to the other songs on the official site and have just got to YBTTC - oh, how I love him. :blush:

EasyFeeling
08-17-2007, 11:04 AM
I totally agree with you, MF. How Long is that kind of song what I always wish for if they release a new one. I just called my mom, she heard it through the phone and she loves it! As Maleah said...

It sounds great and if this is what the entire album sounds like..........I'm in heaven

... and very happy. :D

thelongrun
08-17-2007, 11:41 AM
AND IF THAT'S THE OPENER, IMAGINE HOW THE MAIN SONGS WILL SOUND :twisted: :wink: 8)

tbs fanatic
08-17-2007, 12:24 PM
OMG - I LOVE IT :shock: :shock: Old song or not it's rocking. Pray, pray, pray that the rest of the album sounds as great as this. Okay, I have to go and listen to it again - YAY! I'm jumping out of my seat here :D

Molly
08-17-2007, 02:02 PM
I just called my mom, she heard it through the phone and she loves it! :D

Your mom loves it -my teenager loves it - I think that's a good sign!

I heard a DJ this morning call it - "a new Eagles classic". I like that!

Freypower
08-17-2007, 06:14 PM
Here is the first review I've read, posted today on zmemusic.com:
-------------------------------------------------------------------

That’s because this is their first single in 14 years, called ‘How Long’....

Don Henley’s country/blues vocals might have made a smashing hit in the ’70s, but certainly not in 2007.

I think we are going to read a lot of reviews in this same vein. The DJ I talked with yesterday in Tampa loved the Eagles and said he thought the song was great, but some people, like the reviewer above, are just pre-disposed to dislike the Eagles.

1. This is NOT their first single in 14 years.
2. There are two lead singers on the song. He must not have listened very closely. As for 'not in 2007'....

Indeed. :roll:

DonFan
08-17-2007, 06:19 PM
You make a good point, FP--Glenn actually sings lead more than Don on this song, and I don't know why they didn't mention him, too.

Freypower
08-17-2007, 06:20 PM
More info from the Walmart site---here is the track list:
There are some VERY intriguing titles here!

1. No More Walks In The Wood

2. How Long

3. What Do I Do With My Heart

4. Waiting In The Weeds

5. I Don't Want To Hear Anymore

6. Guilty Of The Crime

7. I Love To Watch A Woman Dance

8. Center Of The Universe

9. Do Something

10. Fast Company

11. It's Your World Now

12. No More Cloudy Days

13. Long Road Out Of Eden

14. Somebody

15. Lately (Last Good Time In Town)

16. Frail Grasp On The Big Picture

17. Busy Being Fabulous

18. Business As Usual

19. You're Not Alone

20. I Dreamed There Was No War

21. Long Road Out Of Eden, Pt.2

22. Hole In The World

Release date:10/30/2007

Thanks DF! Who wants to take bets on who sings what? I bet that Frail Grasp On The Big Picture (what a title)! is Don's. And Centre of the Universe? Don too? To me Guilty Of The Crime & Business As Usual sound like Joe. I vaguely remember that Don published a new song with a title similar to Last Good Time In Town so I bet that is Don. I bet Somebody is Tim.

Oh GOD - some of the others seem obvious. I don't know....

DonFan
08-17-2007, 07:22 PM
I pretty much agree with your guesses.
Busy Being Fabulous is a great title--maybe Joe's?
What Do I Do with my Heart sounds like a romantic Glenn tune. And, maybe You''re Not Alone could be Timmy's.
I don't even want to make a guess about Waiting in the Weeds--a fable about ecology, perhaps? :wink:

Freypower
08-17-2007, 07:33 PM
We know You're Not (or You Are Not) Alone is Glenn's. See the Big Album News topic. It's for Taylor.

Brooke
08-18-2007, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the list DF! And finally, a real release date! :D

This excitement is just about too much to handle! 8)

glenneaglesfan
08-19-2007, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the tracklist, Df! 22 tracks! :shock: :D And most of us have only heard five of them before (including How Long), so that makes 17 new ones....

I think Frail Grasp On The Big Picture sounds like a Joe song. Waiting In The Weeds is intriguing! I Don't Want To Hear Anymore could be a Tim ballad. Can we last two months until it comes out?

DonFan
08-19-2007, 09:45 PM
The track list has been removed from the Walmart site--apparently it was put up before it was completely finalized--so every one of the songs listed may not show up on the double album. We will just have to wait and see!

DonFan
08-19-2007, 10:35 PM
It is only 9:30 p.m. here, but the video is already up on yahoo! It is black & white and the guys look great!
Check it out!

Maleah
08-19-2007, 10:38 PM
LOOOOOOOOOOK at it!!! Don has stubble/goatee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He looks GREAT!!! In fact....they all look absolutely GORGEOUS!!! I can't get over it!

sodascouts
08-19-2007, 10:56 PM
Oh my gosh, it's amazing! I Love it!

Here's the link if you're having trouble finding it:

http://music.yahoo.com/ar-313824---Eagles

Maleah
08-19-2007, 11:01 PM
dang.....I wanted to take a print screen/capture of Don's stubble.......but I can't get it to work :lol:

glenneaglesfan
08-20-2007, 04:01 AM
Rats, the UK version of Yahoo isn't showing it. :?

Mrs Frey
08-20-2007, 06:48 AM
I've been trying since this morning to watch this video, but every time I click on "How Long", it shows me a whole lot of other videos. :? GEF, it seems we have the same problem! :weep: HELP!!! I'm having a coronary here! :shock:

Girls, your take on the album titles and who might be singing what is interesting indeed! I made enquiries about the album at one of our local music "mega" stores over the weekend, and they knew nothing about it! :scowl: I can't buy on the Internet as I don't have a credit card! Is there a remote chance that it will be on general release as well? :pray:

timfan
08-20-2007, 07:33 AM
I think it may only be available in the USA .. I can't get it either

Mrs Frey
08-20-2007, 07:36 AM
:weep: :weep: :weep: :cry:

Have I expressed myself adequately? :evil:

Maleah
08-20-2007, 09:03 AM
I haven't checked, but a couple people said they watched it now on the yahoo canada and yahoo uk sites a well

DonFan
08-20-2007, 09:24 AM
I am so sorry you folks overseas can't see the video--it is awesome.

I read another review yesterday, from the LA Times, and it is very positive:

EAGLES CIRCLE BACK TO TERRITORY THEY OWN

The crisp, countrified electric guitar lead, chugging rhythm strumming and snappily percussive back beat tell you even before those signature harmonies come soaring in that the Eagles are back.

When you're reviving a brand, it's smart to emphasize core values, and that's exactly what Don Henley, Glenn Frey, Timothy B. Schmit and Joe Walsh place front and center in this initial single from their first studio album in 28 years, due in October as a Wal-Mart exclusive.

As they proved with the four new tracks they recorded for the 1994 "Hell Freezes Over" reunion album, the essence of the Eagles lives on in bittersweet harmonies, country-rock settings and the group's often-sharp commentary on life, politics and love.

This upbeat tune by longtime Eagles pal J.D. Souther, streaming at www.eaglesband.com, both echoes and overtly tips its hat to such SoCal country-rock classics as "Take It Easy" and "Already Gone." As such, it should be welcome on classic rock and perhaps even country radio. (The video is slated to premiere Monday on Yahoo and start airing next week on CMT.)

Frey and Henley trade verses in a show of musical solidarity seemingly meant to demonstrate that Eagles harmony extends beyond the sterling vocal work. The message of the song is a tad nebulous, but Souther seems to be looking back on a long run of life with acceptance and no regrets. What more fitting way for this band to start looking again toward the future?

tbs fanatic
08-20-2007, 09:29 AM
OMG, OMG - ITS FANTASTIC. FANTASTIC. Yahoo! You just want to get up and dance. Love, love, love the video. What a great start to the morning. :grooving: :grooving: :grooving: :grooving:

Brooke
08-20-2007, 10:07 AM
:yay: Oooooh, I love it too! Black & white, Glenn close ups, stubble on Don, Tim & Joe look great too! The trudging through the desert in coats....too funny!

Love it! :inlove:

tbs fanatic
08-20-2007, 10:17 AM
Well, it's now clear no work is going to get done today. The video is going to be on repeat, repeat, repeat so, of course, I have to sit in front of the computer to watch. Well, don't I??? :D

Ive always been a dreamer
08-20-2007, 10:55 AM
I am going to have to work pretty hard today since I was off most of last week, but I don't like it one bit. I want to watch this video over and over. It is everything I hoped it would be and more. I feel so bad for those of you who can't watch it yet. As far as whenever anything becomes commercially available - all I can say is if those of you outside of the states are unable to purchase them, I'm sure some of your friends here will be glad to purchase stuff and mail it to you. Not to worry! :wink:

EasyFeeling
08-20-2007, 01:16 PM
These are my smileys for today: :evil: :evil: :evil: :x :x :x
I can't believe it's not available for people living outside the USA.
Better I shut my mouth before I say something nasty.

Is anyone able to capture the video?

sodascouts
08-20-2007, 03:12 PM
I haven't been able to download it, EF, but I did take some time this afternoon to get screen caps - lots of 'em! Now, since the video was streaming, the quality isn't always the best. Here's the first ten:

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong/howlong01.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong/howlong02.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong/howlong03.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong/howlong04.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong/howlong05.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong/howlong06.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong/howlong07.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong/howlong08.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong/howlong09.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong/howlong10.jpg

sodascouts
08-20-2007, 03:13 PM
The next ten:

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong/howlong11.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong/howlong12.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong/howlong13.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong/howlong14.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong/howlong15.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong/howlong16.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong/howlong17.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong/howlong18.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong/howlong19.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong/howlong20.jpg

sodascouts
08-20-2007, 03:14 PM
The next:

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong/howlong21.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong/howlong22.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong/howlong23.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong/howlong24.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong/howlong25.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong/howlong26.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong/howlong27.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong/howlong28.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong/howlong29.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong/howlong30.jpg

sodascouts
08-20-2007, 03:16 PM
The next ten:

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong/howlong31.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong/howlong32.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong/howlong33.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong/howlong34.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong/howlong35.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong/howlong36.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong/howlong37.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong/howlong38.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong/howlong39.jpg

sodascouts
08-20-2007, 03:17 PM
The next ten:

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong/howlong41.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong/howlong42.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong/howlong43.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong/howlong44.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong/howlong45.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong/howlong46.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong/howlong47.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong/howlong48.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong/howlong49.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong/howlong50.jpg

sodascouts
08-20-2007, 03:19 PM
And last but not least, the final batch!

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong/howlong52.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong/howlong53.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong/howlong54.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong/howlong55.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong/howlong56.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong/howlong57.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong/howlong58.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong/howlong59.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong/howlong60.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong/howlong61.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong/howlong62.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong/howlong63.jpg

Perhaps I got a bit carried away, but there were just so many good shots!

EasyFeeling
08-20-2007, 03:46 PM
Thank you, Soda. :D :D Looking at these shots makes me want to watch it much more. :wink: I just send the link to my aunt and she teased me because I can't watch it. :roll:
She said she saved the video on her computer. I didn't know that works.
I've just read on CMT they are going to put it up soon. Hopefully I can watch it there. :pray:

Perfect Little Sister
08-20-2007, 04:09 PM
Wow, Soda! This is such a great representation of the flavor of the video. The only little snippit I noticed in real time that you weren't able to capture was Joe's little smirky smile thing during the first chorus. He does it again later but I don't remember where. I can't wait to hear this live. lol Sitting here at the computer I wanted to get up and dance while I listened...I can only imagine live. :partytime:

OH, and I have to add...I just love the growl in Glenn's voice! I was lovin' it in Canada when he was tearing up the vocals on some of those songs. Man!

Brooke
08-20-2007, 04:09 PM
8) Haha, Soda! Just move those caps fast and you have the video!!!

Great work Soda! I loved the next to last one of Glenn close up! I just can't see his hair quite good enough! :wink:

EasyFeeling
08-20-2007, 04:16 PM
8) Haha, Soda! Just move those caps fast and you have the video!!!
Great work Soda! I loved the next to last one of Glenn close up! I just can't see his hair quite good enough! :wink:

Just tried it but it didn't work well. :wink: Guess we need a lot more caps. :twisted:

tbs fanatic
08-20-2007, 04:41 PM
Wow, Soda!!! That's amazing. Yep, really captures the feel of the video. Have to say that all the guys look fantastic but especially so Joe, I thought :shock: He REALLY looked good :smitten:

glenneaglesfan
08-20-2007, 04:49 PM
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong/howlong62.jpg

Perhaps I got a bit carried away, but there were just so many good shots!

Nancy, thank you. You have just made me very happy indeed. :D :D :D This video looks completely awesome, and I will be lobbying Yahoo to get their act together and post it world wide. Please, please may they release a dvd edition like HITW.

Brooke, I've posted my favourite, and tbsf, I agree, Joe looks amazing, then so do Don and Tim as well.

The Eagles are back with a vengeance!!!!

Freypower
08-20-2007, 05:34 PM
That is my favourite too. THANK YOU SODA!

So THAT is why I can't watch it. I did everything - installed Firefox, restarted the computer and got every other crappy video to play except for How Long. I want a DVD single too!

Don appears not to play drums in the verse he sings. I notice he gets to play acoustic guitar. Glenn looks stunning.

DonFan
08-20-2007, 06:05 PM
Great caps, Nanc! You captured all the best moments.

I echo what I told you earlier today--Don looks great, all the guys look great, but Glenn looks the very best--the way he smiles through the entire video, you can tell he is just so happy for the Eagles to be back again!

WE ARE TOO! :applause:

Perfect Little Sister
08-20-2007, 07:18 PM
I stand corrected. Joe's second smile that I love is cap'd. Kudos Soda.

timfan
08-20-2007, 08:02 PM
woo hooo !! I was FINALLY able to find teh video on Yahoo canada. it's great!!! :D

tbs fanatic
08-20-2007, 08:14 PM
Oh yeah, I'm so glad you got to see it. Isn't it fantastic :D :D :D

Freypower
08-20-2007, 10:35 PM
Do you know... the Eagles haven't made many studio videos of single songs. This is the FIRST one in which Glenn is basically the lead singer (I'm sure Don fans will forgive me just this once) and doesn't he enjoy it. I say this having only seen stills. :shock: :singer: :drool:

Freypower
08-20-2007, 11:14 PM
AAAACCCCCK!

To which may I add THANK YOU YAHOO CANADA!!!!! You just made a fellow citizen of the Empire very, very happy.

http://ca.music.yahoo.com/release/46102993

Oh. I don't know what to say. I loved Joe's smirk. I loved it when Tim looked at Glenn. I loved the way Don rubbed his hands together. I loved the bit outside the trailers. As for Glenn..... now you can all guess. What is that hackneyed cliche that I always use to describe the man? Yes, that's the one.

Can you tell I'm happy?! :computer: :band: :jawdrop:

Perfect Little Sister
08-20-2007, 11:37 PM
Not really, FP. Tell us how you really feel. :D :wink:

Mrs Frey
08-21-2007, 07:47 AM
Well, it's now clear no work is going to get done today. The video is going to be on repeat, repeat, repeat so, of course, I have to sit in front of the computer to watch. Well, don't I??? :D

LOL, TBSF! :lol: I enjoyed that! I don't blame you, girl. I managed to watch the video myself during my tea break this morning (THANK YOU FOR THAT YAHOO CANADA LINK, FP!!! :yay:), and unfortunately, I couldn't watch it more than once, as I was (and still am) drowning in work! :cry: And as it was "buffering", it stop-started as well, and the sound went on without the visuals at one stage, as (and you will like this :wink: ) the picture froze on Timmy for a few seconds, before visuals joined sound again :roll:. Nevermind, at least I've now seen it, and I plan to watch it again now, as I try to have a lunch time! :D

Soda, thank you SO much for posting those screen caps. You can get carried away all you want, girl! :D

Yes, I agree with all your sentiments. The video is ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL!!! The boys look simply gorgeous. And GLENN... :heart: :smitten: :inlove: :drool: :iloveyou: Do I need to say more? Okay, let's just say that I haven't seen a man of Glenn's :heart: years looking so utterly and completely beautiful. I am stunned. FP, what is that "hackneyed cliche" that you use for him? Excuse me, but I actually don't know what it is! Perhaps you can help me out to express myself here, because I'm at a loss for words. I'm just so in love I can barely see straight... :blush: And by the way, FP - yes, I can tell you're happy! :wink: You're usually so composed, and now you're gushing just like the rest of us! :wink: :wink: Carry on! :D

I love to see Glenn :heart: enjoy himself so much. In fact, they ALL look as if they're really deeply into the performance, which is such a treat to see. They're enjoying it as much as we are!

Mrs Frey
08-21-2007, 07:49 AM
Thank you, Soda. :D :D Looking at these shots makes me want to watch it much more. :wink: I just send the link to my aunt and she teased me because I can't watch it. :roll:
She said she saved the video on her computer. I didn't know that works.
I've just read on CMT they are going to put it up soon. Hopefully I can watch it there. :pray:

So did you get to see it yet, EF? I hope so!

Mrs Frey
08-21-2007, 08:29 AM
I am going to have to work pretty hard today since I was off most of last week, but I don't like it one bit. I want to watch this video over and over. It is everything I hoped it would be and more. I feel so bad for those of you who can't watch it yet. As far as whenever anything becomes commercially available - all I can say is if those of you outside of the states are unable to purchase them, I'm sure some of your friends here will be glad to purchase stuff and mail it to you. Not to worry! :wink:

Dreamer, has anyone ever told you how special you are? :hug:

JoeFan
08-21-2007, 10:10 AM
The site worked for me too, they sound brilliant, Joe looks fabulous, I love it!

EasyFeeling
08-21-2007, 11:13 AM
Yep MF, I watched the video on work while my boss was out of the office. http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/g015.gif They all look stunning and sound fantastic. :D But I need to watch it more often to see all the details. 8) My aunt will preorder and send the CD to me then. :D Have I already said that I love her? :wink:

Thanks for that link, Soda. http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/midi/liebe/f050.gif

Perfect Little Sister
08-21-2007, 11:52 AM
GLENN... :heart: :smitten: :inlove: :drool: :iloveyou: Do I need to say more? Okay, let's just say that I haven't seen a man of Glenn's :heart: years looking so utterly and completely beautiful. I am stunned.

It's so funny to read this MF. I know we aren't supposed to refer to men as beautiful, but I often do so with Glenn. He really is a beautiful man. Inside as well as out.

Brooke
08-21-2007, 01:37 PM
Mrs F, you are sooooooo funny! :iloveyou: :hilarious:

And you are right! :wink:

tbs fanatic
08-21-2007, 02:11 PM
I've finally managed to burn the download onto a CD - Woo Hoo! Now I don't have to sit in front of the computer to listen to it. Okay Kitchen, here I come :D :D

EasyFeeling
08-21-2007, 02:20 PM
I've finally managed to burn the download onto a CD - Woo Hoo! Now I don't have to sit in front of the computer to listen to it. Okay Kitchen, here I come :D :D

Me too and I'm looking forward to listen to it very loud in the car on the way to work tomorrow. 8)

08-21-2007, 02:27 PM
GLENN... :heart: :smitten: :inlove: :drool: :iloveyou: Do I need to say more? Okay, let's just say that I haven't seen a man of Glenn's :heart: years looking so utterly and completely beautiful. I am stunned.

It's so funny to read this MF. I know we aren't supposed to refer to men as beautiful, but I often do so with Glenn. He really is a beautiful man. Inside as well as out.

I totally agree, Mrs. F. and PLS - and I hate it. It would be so much easier for me to control my enthusiasm for the man if he would just cooperate and act like a jerk. :wink:

Perfect Little Sister
08-21-2007, 02:32 PM
Oh I'm sure if you get on his bad side he can be rather unpleasant. Think about that black look he's been known to give.

tbs fanatic
08-21-2007, 06:56 PM

Me too and I'm looking forward to listen to it very loud in the car on the way to work tomorrow. 8)

Good idea. Now because I could listen to it in the kitchen today the kids actually got their dinner on time :wink: :D Thank the gods for CD burners. :pray:

tbs fanatic
08-21-2007, 07:00 PM
I have spent waaaaay too much time on The Border today. Tomorrow I will try and control myself - sort of, kinda, maybe (I can feel my resolve dissolving already :roll: ) :D

Freypower
08-21-2007, 08:54 PM
[ FP, what is that "hackneyed cliche" that you use for him? Excuse me, but I actually don't know what it is! Perhaps you can help me out to express myself here, because I'm at a loss for words. I'm just so in love I can barely see straight... :blush: And by the way, FP - yes, I can tell you're happy! :wink: You're usually so composed, and now you're gushing just like the rest of us! :wink: :wink: Carry on! :D

I love to see Glenn :heart: enjoy himself so much. In fact, they ALL look as if they're really deeply into the performance, which is such a treat to see. They're enjoying it as much as we are!

'In Charge'. :twisted: 8)

I agree with what you say MF. Just for once I could not help but gush.

I wonder if Don and Glenn are playing up to their 'personas'? Don is the 'sensitive, introspective' one. Glenn is the 'exuberant, optimistic' one.

The Bomber
08-22-2007, 12:04 AM
Great to see the Eagles in action again and kudos to them for doing a real video unlike Hole in the World. I agree that Frey looks to be having a great time but as for Henley... maybe he was having bad gas that day. Schmit is into it but Walsh is iffy. Sometimes he seems to be into it, other times he seems to be there-but-not-there.

Anyone else a little disappointed that the first single is a cover of a song that's 35 years old and not written by an Eagle?

Mrs Frey
08-22-2007, 06:28 AM
Mrs F, you are sooooooo funny! :iloveyou: :hilarious:

And you are right! :wink:

Awwwwww, Brooke, you are so sweet! :hug: I'm glad you enjoyed that. Glenn :heart: just turns me into a complete puddle of goo :blush:. I'm just sooooo in love with him... :inlove: I can't believe it myself! :shock:

Mrs Frey
08-22-2007, 06:40 AM

I totally agree, Mrs. F. and PLS - and I hate it. It would be so much easier for me to control my enthusiasm for the man if he would just cooperate and act like a jerk. :wink:

I couldn't agree more with you, PLS. I find calling Glenn :heart: simply "handsome" just doesn't do justice to his beauty. It's perhaps his inner beauty that makes him that much more beautiful. Yes, beautiful. That is the only word that adequately describes him. All conventions are going straight out of the window right now... :blush:

Dreamer, LOL! :hilarious: Control your enthusiasm? Why on earth would you want to do that? It's much nicer to be :smitten:, and to :drool:, and to be :inlove:, and to be :fainting: with our passion for the man. So go on, girl, let's "...get a little out of control!" :twisted: :wink:

Mrs Frey
08-22-2007, 06:46 AM

Good idea. Now because I could listen to it in the kitchen today the kids actually got their dinner on time :wink: :D Thank the gods for CD burners. :pray:

:rofl: TBSF, I've enjoyed all your posts on this topic so much, but this one is the cherry on the cake! You have a great sense of humour! 8)

EF, I'm glad you got to see the video finally, and play that CD as loudly as you can, girl! 8) I tried to play the video again a little earlier on the Yahoo Canada link, but it didn't want to play! :evil: :weep:

Mrs Frey
08-22-2007, 06:49 AM
Oh I'm sure if you get on his bad side he can be rather unpleasant. Think about that black look he's been known to give.

PLS, I reckon we all have a rather unpleasant side when someone makes us angry - I know I do :blush: - so I think that's okay! I wouldn't want to get into his bad books, though, admittedly!

Mrs Frey
08-22-2007, 06:58 AM
[ FP, what is that "hackneyed cliche" that you use for him? Excuse me, but I actually don't know what it is! Perhaps you can help me out to express myself here, because I'm at a loss for words. I'm just so in love I can barely see straight... :blush: And by the way, FP - yes, I can tell you're happy! :wink: You're usually so composed, and now you're gushing just like the rest of us! :wink: :wink: Carry on! :D

'In Charge'. :twisted: 8)

I agree with what you say MF. Just for once I could not help but gush.

I wonder if Don and Glenn are playing up to their 'personas'? Don is the 'sensitive, introspective' one. Glenn is the 'exuberant, optimistic' one.

Ah, yes, FP, "In Charge". Yes, I have noticed your use of that expression to describe Glenn :heart:. I have no qualms with you continuing to use it! It suits him! :wink:

You keep gushing, girl. I like it! 8) And I'm sure Glenn :heart: will like it too (if he visits this Board! :blush: )

I've only seen the video once so far, but if I get to see it again (and Yahoo Canada plays along :roll: ), I'll pay more attention to Glenn :heart: and Don regarding your observations about their "personas". I did notice that Glenn was indeed exuberant. Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiigh...

sodascouts
08-22-2007, 08:31 AM
Great to see the Eagles in action again and kudos to them for doing a real video unlike Hole in the World. I agree that Frey looks to be having a great time but as for Henley... maybe he was having bad gas that day. Schmit is into it but Walsh is iffy. Sometimes he seems to be into it, other times he seems to be there-but-not-there.

Anyone else a little disappointed that the first single is a cover of a song that's 35 years old and not written by an Eagle?

It is kind of strange that there are such different vibes going on from the band members, but PLS pointed out to me that perhaps Don felt obliged to look sad and depressed when singing about "doing time in a lonesome prison where the sun don't shine." As for Joe, I really don't see a point where he looks there-but-not-there.

Their first hit Take It Easy was mostly written by Jackson Browne, so it's not unheard of for the first single not to be a totally original Eagles tune. Admittedly, back then they were untried, but maybe releasing this as the first single has some sort of symbolic meaning. "How long" has it been since they released something, for instance. And it does give a "completing the circle" sense as well because they used to do this early on and here it comes back all these years later. Plus, it's a great song that showcases both Glenn and Don, making it more of an "Eagles" tune. Some of the others may sound more "solo with Eagles."

tbs fanatic
08-22-2007, 10:37 AM
Soda, you are so right on the money there. 'How Long' is catchy - a lot of people (not just Eagles fans) are going to like it, they are going to be able to sing along with it and it just sounds so 'vintage Eagles'. It was a perfect choice.

The Bomber
08-22-2007, 08:37 PM
It is catchy. Grows on me more every time I hear it. Better the first single be a good cover than a mediocre original piece, right?

JoeFan
08-23-2007, 08:22 AM
I would hope the originals wouldn't be mediocre though.

EasyFeeling
08-23-2007, 12:50 PM
It's much nicer to be :smitten:, and to :drool:, and to be :inlove:, and to be :fainting: with our passion for the man. So go on, girl, let's "...get a little out of control!" :twisted: :wink:

http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/g020.gif http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/g020.gif http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/g020.gif http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/g020.gif http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/g020.gif

Mrs Frey
08-24-2007, 02:05 AM
It's much nicer to be :smitten:, and to :drool:, and to be :inlove:, and to be :fainting: with our passion for the man. So go on, girl, let's "...get a little out of control!" :twisted: :wink:

http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/g020.gif http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/g020.gif http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/g020.gif http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/g020.gif http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/g020.gif

I'm glad you enjoyed that, EF! :D

glenneaglesfan
08-24-2007, 03:40 AM
Yay - the video is now on YouTube, linked from the official band website! :D

I love it! I just hope we non-Americans can order the album soon.

Mrs Frey
08-24-2007, 06:49 AM
GEF, I wasted no time whatsoever in downloading the video this morning, as soon as I discovered it was on YouTube! :D I've had so much trouble trying to play it from the Yahoo Canada website. It played once and thereafter, it just refused. :roll: At least YouTube has taken me out of my misery now! :yay:

I echo your sentiments about us Non-Americans ordering the new album.

rcknalwys
08-24-2007, 09:17 AM
Just jumping on the "band wagon" LOL
The new song and video are great. Thank you so much for the caps! My computer is very slow so I don't get to see the video very well and the caps just made my day.
How Long is very vintage sounding. I agree it is as if things have come full circle and am not disappointed that it is an older song. Like everyone else, I'm looking forward to hearing the rest of the album. I'm planning to purchase the cd through the official site, can't resist the offer of a new T-shirt featuring our favorite guys!
Very interesting speculations about who sings which song. I get the idea it's a "concept" album similar to the Desperado album because many of the song titles seem to echo similar themes ( #1, #4, #11, #16, #20, well, you get the picture). They all support environmental issues and the song titles seem to address that, even the title of the album, Long Road Out Of Eden. Anyone else get that feeling?

sodascouts
08-24-2007, 10:02 AM
While I think there might be some related songs, I don't think this will be a concept album simply since these songs come from all over the place - different writers, different times... but who knows. Also keep in mind that this is not the final track list. Glenn said twenty songs so I imagine two of the titles are going to go to the way of the dodo! I wonder when we'll know the finalized track listing?

JoeFan
08-24-2007, 04:43 PM
Even if the track list is not finalised, I am going to venture that this is not a concept album. Even if we just look at How Long, what does that have to do with an overall theme about the environment or war?

The Bomber
08-24-2007, 06:51 PM
Who the hell cares, as long as the music's good.

08-24-2007, 09:46 PM
I finally got around to burning a 'How Long' CD for my car. I listened to the song over and over again in the car today. The song has been stuck in my head all day long. I think it's gonna be one of those songs that I won't ever tire of. Even if the song is old, it still rocks. As you all have said, good music is good music no matter how old it is. I actually love the fact that they kind of pay tribute to J. D. Souther by making it their first single release from the album. And since the song isn't a Henley/Frey songwriting collaboration, I am thrilled about the shared vocals. Both Glenn and Don sound great on it. Just what I was hoping for - another sappy Eagles love song. :wink:

EasyFeeling
08-25-2007, 11:18 AM
Who the hell cares, as long as the music's good.

There's nothing more to say. :wink: BTW, welcome to The Border, Jack. :)

JoeFan
08-25-2007, 06:20 PM
Actually I don't care overmuch if it's a concept album, it's just something to talk about as we wait.

rcknalwys
08-26-2007, 11:35 AM
LOL, I totally agree, who cares as long as the music is good. I just thought it was interesting how some of the titles seemed to echo a theme. And it is certainly fun to speculate while we wait!

The Bomber
08-26-2007, 10:43 PM
Don't worry girls, I wasn't trying to make you feel bad. It is fun to talk about it!

Maleah
08-27-2007, 01:58 PM
Have I mentioned that I love the song? I love the video? I love the stubble?! :lol:

Freypower
08-27-2007, 07:25 PM
I love the way Glenn looks at the camera at the beginning and the way he smiles. :shock:

The Bomber
08-27-2007, 09:54 PM
Now now girls, calm down! haha.

SweetHolly
08-28-2007, 04:09 AM
Have I mentioned that I love the song? I love the video? I love the stubble?! :lol:
Me too. I really love the stubble. :lol:

Mrs Frey
08-28-2007, 08:54 AM
Now now girls, calm down! haha.

I'm sorry, Jack, but calming down is just not an option for us at this point... :heart: :inlove: We're all just far too much in love with the Eagles. FP, I hear you about the way Glenn :heart: looks at the camera, and the way he smiles... :smitten: :sigh:

Yes, Dreamer, I won't get tired of the song either. It's just great. I also love Glenn :heart: and Don's shared vocals. So beautiful and powerful, not to mention Timothy's high harmonies. And then there's Joe's amazing guitar work... :D :D :D

Er, Jack, what was that about calming down? :wink:

DonFan
08-28-2007, 04:04 PM
The official site has posted the design of the t-shirt--it is basically the same design as the single, showing the guys walking in the sand.

Brooke
08-28-2007, 04:24 PM
You know, I had a feeling that would be it! I guess the talk about vintage style t-shirts did no good! :roll: :lol:

Perfect Little Sister
08-29-2007, 01:46 AM
Sitting in Starbucks today, waiting on my son, I was flipping thru USA today and it had music listings. How Long is #17 on the adult contemporary chart.

SweetHolly
08-29-2007, 03:14 AM
Sitting in Starbucks today, waiting on my son, I was flipping thru USA today and it had music listings. How Long is #17 on the adult contemporary chart.
Yay!! :D

Were you drinking a Don Latte at Starbucks, Lissa? :wink:

Mrs Frey
08-29-2007, 06:43 AM

Wow, that is so cool, PLS - thanks for letting us know. There hasn't been a peep about the single locally, however. :roll: :scowl: I guess it's up to Mrs Frey to launch her own South African Eagles campaign - she's doing a good job in the office so far! :D

EasyFeeling
08-29-2007, 02:35 PM
Same here in Germany, not one single comment at our local radio stations that there is a new Eagles single. :roll:

Yesterday I found this. You can vote for the video here. Hard decision for me, I can vote for The Eagles as well as for Keith. http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/midi/konfus/e010.gif

http://www.cmt.com/shows/dyn/cmt_pure_12_pack_countdown/series_wildcard.jhtml?wildcard=/dynamic_templates/shows/center_templates/wildcard/pure_12_pack/vote_countdown_poll_main.jhtml&event_id=882409

farewell
08-29-2007, 02:54 PM
where do day show the results easyfeeling? Can't find it, maybe I'm not looking well enough.

My son and daugther saw the picture of Glenn's body you have. My son said, o I don't like him in that picture, like he is naked. My Daughter jumpt up from her chair to have a look haha, she 13. Ow it's Glenn. hmm not interesting. She likes Daniël Radcliff more :wink:

EasyFeeling
08-29-2007, 03:07 PM
Just click on the link which says Countdown List, it's on the left.
Vote for the guys they are not listed so far. :shock:

http://www.cmt.com/shows/dyn/cmt_pure_12_pack_countdown/series_wildcard.jhtml?wildcard=/dynamic_templates/shows/center_templates/wildcard/pure_12_pack/2007/countdown_082407_main.jhtml&event_id=885170

farewell
08-29-2007, 03:17 PM
I did vote 3 times now. And I have found the top 12 list. No eagles.
Am going to vote some more. :twisted:
You know if there is a maximum to it?

farewell
08-29-2007, 03:18 PM
why is this topic so wide? Do you have that too?

Perfect Little Sister
08-29-2007, 04:31 PM

You know, I hardly ever go to Starbucks as I don't drink coffee. I love the smell of coffee brewing, but don't care for the taste. My sister was trying to buy me something from there back in July while we were waiting for some pictures to be printed. I kept telling her, "no, thank you...you know I don't do coffee". She got all excited and told me she had something I would like. She ordered me a strawberries and cream frappuccino which is really yummy. Kinda like a strawberry shake, but lighter cuz of the ice. So now I have to resist temptation as I have no idea how many calories those things have...and I don't want to know either. lol

sodascouts
08-29-2007, 08:01 PM
why is this topic so wide? Do you have that too?

When someone posts a long URL or a wide photo, it pushes the board margins out to accomodate it.

SweetHolly
08-30-2007, 01:20 AM

You know, I hardly ever go to Starbucks as I don't drink coffee. I love the smell of coffee brewing, but don't care for the taste. My sister was trying to buy me something from there back in July while we were waiting for some pictures to be printed. I kept telling her, "no, thank you...you know I don't do coffee". She got all excited and told me she had something I would like. She ordered me a strawberries and cream frappuccino which is really yummy. Kinda like a strawberry shake, but lighter cuz of the ice. So now I have to resist temptation as I have no idea how many calories those things have...and I don't want to know either. lol
Awesome. I'm really not much of a coffee person either. I think they may make a lighter version of it if you ask. I usually get the Orange and Creme frappuccino and it's really good, just like a creamsicle. I always get them to make it light and since I'm on Weight Watchers, the small one comes to 2 points and the medium one is 3 points when I get it light. There's also this shaken ice tea lemonade that I like to get and I get it with the passion fruit tea and it's really good.

The Bomber
08-30-2007, 05:42 PM
#17 - not too bad!

sodascouts
09-01-2007, 10:19 PM
Brooke asked me to do some stills of the old version of How Long - I apologize for their quality, but that's the best I could get out of the version I have. If anyone else can do better, please, do so! I won't be offended.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong73/howlong73-01.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong73/howlong73-02.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong73/howlong73-03.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong73/howlong73-04.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong73/howlong73-05.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong73/howlong73-06.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong73/howlong73-07.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong73/howlong73-08.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong73/howlong73-09.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong73/howlong73-10.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong73/howlong73-11.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong73/howlong73-12.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong73/howlong73-13.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong73/howlong73-14.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong73/howlong73-15.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong73/howlong73-17.jpg

DonFan
09-01-2007, 10:24 PM
Those stills are good, Nancy.
Randy looked great there, and I love Don's Dallas shirt!

SweetHolly
09-01-2007, 11:21 PM
Those are great screen shots! :smitten:

I :heart: Don's shirt. :drool: :fainted:

Brooke
09-02-2007, 09:50 PM
Oooooh thank you Soda! Those are great! I know there wasn't a lot of close ups, so you did good!

Anybody know what Glenn's shirt says on the back? Surely it does NOT say Teen King! :shock: :lol:

09-02-2007, 10:27 PM
Oh Brooke - surely it DOES say Teen King. Everyone knows how teenagers dug Glenn. :wink: :D :wink:

sodascouts
09-02-2007, 10:28 PM
You're welcome guys! Glad you liked them!

And Brooke - it does indeed say "Teen King." Teens dug Glenn alright! And in fact if you look in the Eagles audiences it appears he still has a teen following... too bad none of them can get into the casinos. lol

Edited to add: I see Dreamer has anticipated me!

Mrs Frey
09-03-2007, 06:42 AM
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/dissertationblues/howlong73/howlong73-11.jpg

Soda, thanks SO much for these screen caps! :smitten: I've always really loved this video - you did a great job! The screen cap above is my favourite: I just love it when Glenn :heart: joins Bernie at the microphone, and Glenn :heart: grabs his ear. It seems that is the earliest example of his doing that, and it's so endearing.

I like Glenn's :heart: Eagles T-shirt, but I'd never noticed what it said on the back - I suppose I was too busy staring at his face :blush:. I only got to know about his "Teen King" label through reading "To The Limit" recently.

EasyFeeling
09-03-2007, 12:55 PM
Thanks for the stills, Soda. They came out very well. :D I didn't have the time so far to watch that video so I think it's time to catch up on that.

Perfect Little Sister
09-06-2007, 03:21 PM
I finally got to hear this on the radio last night. Thank you 98.5! I don't remember who the DJ was, but I loved his commentary after the song. He said, "the latest, from the greatest...the Eagles' How Long off the Long Road Out of Eden...their first studio album since 1979!" He was so excited and animated I got a real kick out of it. Of course, my favorite part was the "greatest" comment. Gotta love a DJ with great taste.:D

Disclaimer:
I should admit I rarely listen to the radio as I don't get good reception at my house. When I have it on in the car it's usually for a short period of time and I tend to get mostly commercials. :roll: lol

glenneaglesfan
09-06-2007, 03:38 PM
Up to 16 now. Keep voting guys!

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/charts/chart_display.jsp?f=Hot+Adult+Contemporary+Tracks&pageNumber=Top+11-20&g=Singles

Soda, thanks for those screen caps. However hot they were in the old days, to my mind they have all improved with age! :D

farewell
09-06-2007, 05:01 PM
I haven't heard it in Holland eighter. And I'm often listening to one of Hollands most famous radio station. Am really sorry about that.

DonFan
09-06-2007, 10:11 PM
Hubby & I just got hooked up to HDTV, and tonight they aired HFO on VH1 Classic. At the end they premiered the video of How Long--it was great seeing the new video on a big screen in crystal clear HDTV! Talk about spoiled now.... 8)

JoeFan
09-07-2007, 03:45 AM
Hubby & I just got hooked up to HDTV, and tonight they aired HFO on VH1 Classic. At the end they premiered the video of How Long--it was great seeing the new video on a big screen in crystal clear HDTV! Talk about spoiled now.... 8)

I'm envious, I've not seen the video on anything but the streaming websites, it's difficult to get spoilt on that.

Glennsallnighter
09-07-2007, 04:19 AM

Oh lovely DF! what a treat. I'm quite :jealous: I saw some of HFO on a 40" HDTV in a store the other day. It certainly is something. Unfortunately I hadn't the whole day to spare!

tbs fanatic
09-07-2007, 02:27 PM
Just ran into Wal-Mart to pick up some bits and they were playing 'How Long' - so I danced my way down the 'canned vegetables' isle. :D

Maleah
09-07-2007, 02:51 PM
I know! They've been playing it everyday in the store here! It's awesome! :D

Brooke
09-07-2007, 04:13 PM
I haven't heard it yet here. :x

I actually called in to request it on my favorite radio station and they didn't have it! The girl said she would talk to the program manager about getting it. :roll:

glenneaglesfan
09-07-2007, 05:30 PM
Df, that is so cool to see it on a big screen. I have saved it from YouTube, so at least I have it, but I crave to hear it live now.

The Bomber
09-08-2007, 07:29 PM
I'd like to be a Teen King but those damn age of consent laws keep slowin' me down.

DonFan
09-08-2007, 07:42 PM
I'd like to be a Teen King but those damn age of consent laws keep slowin' me down.

LOL, Bomber! :rofl:

farewell
09-09-2007, 05:21 AM
Two days ago it was in the news that they are going to release 'how long' tomorro here in Holland. So that's why nobody knows about it. And hopefully it's in the stores too than.
The stores didn't also know about the new album. Perhaps that they know more about that too, after the single is released. Gotto check it out tomorro. Pre-order it, than at least I'll be the first to get it hear in Holland. :D

Molly
09-09-2007, 09:50 AM

LOL, Bomber! :rofl:

Things certainly were looked upon differently back then, weren't they?

My son commented recently to my husband how much trouble he (hubby) would be in today if he and I were dating today the way we did back in the day (he was 21-I was 17).

DonFan
09-10-2007, 11:22 PM
I just got the Sept 20 issue of Rolling Stone, and it had a short review of How Long:

"The catchy gallop, pitch-perfect twang and sparkling stair-step harmonies of "How Long" augur well for the other twenty new songs on Long Road Out of Eden, the Eagle's first studio album in nearly 30 years--if you're content with deja vu. The track rolls and beams like a freshly scrubbed "Take It Easy," although you can clearly hear the difference between then and now in the unintended truth of one line near the end: "What you get is not quite what you choose." This time around, you'll only be able to buy you Eden at Walmart."

Then they gave the song 3 1/2 out of 4 stars!

SweetHolly
09-11-2007, 12:27 AM
Cool! 8)

sodascouts
09-11-2007, 02:15 PM
Good spot DF - I went ahead and put it on our site's front page!

glenneaglesfan
09-11-2007, 03:45 PM
Blimey - 3.5 out of 4 for Rolling Stone is high praise indeed!! And clearly RS have not done their research, because you will be able to order it from Eaglesband.com and the non US sites! Thanks for posting that Df. I'm hoping we'll hear it on British radio soon.

Glenn's Girl
09-11-2007, 09:19 PM
Cool! Thanks for posting that!

SweetHolly
09-11-2007, 11:15 PM
This morning I saw the video for How Long on this tv channel we get called the Tube and it was so amazing on a big screen tv. :smitten:

JoeFan
09-12-2007, 03:54 AM
Thanks for posting the review, it's good to see How Long getting a favourable reception.

Mrs Frey
09-12-2007, 09:00 AM
Thanks for posting the Rolling Stone review, DF - how things have changed since their slagging off of the band in the '70s, at the height of their fame :roll:. At least they've come to their senses!

SH, how nice that you saw the "How Long" video on television. I wish they would screen it locally. :jealous: :wink: I can just imagine how amazing Glenn :heart: looks on the big screen in that video! :sigh:

09-12-2007, 06:20 PM

This is funny, Bomber. Those laws were around back in Glenn's Teen King days, but, apparently, enforcement was rather loose. :D

And OBTW, good to see that Rolling Stone seems to be warming up to the guys. :roll:

SweetHolly
09-12-2007, 08:43 PM
SH, how nice that you saw the "How Long" video on television. I wish they would screen it locally. :jealous: :wink: I can just imagine how amazing Glenn :heart: looks on the big screen in that video! :sigh:
Glenn looked great on the big screen. They all did. :D

sodascouts
09-12-2007, 10:10 PM
Here's a review from Billboard:

"Comebacks are tricky business. An act must sound familiar enough not to alienate enduring fans, yet fresh enough to remain viable. The Eagles pull it off beautifully on the launch single from highly anticipated "Long Road out of Eden," their first album of all-new studio material in 28 years. "How Long" is a vintage gem culled from J.D. Souther's 1972 debut solo effort. (He had a hand in the Eagles classics "Best of My Love," "Heartache Tonight" and "New Kid in Town.") With clever, literate lines ("Like a bluebird with his heart removed, lonely as a train") and instantaneous singalong melody, the song is commanded by lead vocalists Don Henley and Glenn Frey, who deliver a signature sound as novel and warm as 30 years ago. Joe Walsh contributes a searing guitar solo, and Timothy B. Schmit's distinctive voice bolsters memorable Eagles harmonies. If it took this long for the band to create something this good, "How Long" was worth the wait. Already a Hot Shot debut at No. 44 at country radio and Most Added at AC, the Eagles' return proves to be more than a fond reminiscence. These guys are simply poised to soar all over again." —Deborah Evans Price

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/search/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003633783

DonFan
09-12-2007, 10:27 PM
THAT is a great review. Thanks for posting.

SweetHolly
09-12-2007, 10:58 PM
Great review. Thanks for sharing.

Perfect Little Sister
09-13-2007, 10:26 AM
Is anyone else noticing their radio stations increasing Eagles' song play? My local classic rock stations seem to be playing more Eagles music lately. The best part is they're pulling out other album tracks than the ones they always play. A few nights ago I heard Already Gone and the night before last I heard James Dean! I'm lovin' this. lol

tbs fanatic
09-13-2007, 10:32 AM
I cannot seem to track the song down on our radio stations but I do keep hearing it in stores. I heard it in our local Ace Hardware store yesterday :D

Maleah
09-13-2007, 11:55 AM
Oh my gosh..........you should SEE how many Eagles cd's we have in now! They're getting ready is all I can say! lol We have more cd's by the Eagles right now than we have of any other single artist. We have 3 rows! All Eagles! It's awesome! :lol:

Perfect Little Sister
09-13-2007, 12:01 PM
My local Wallyworld had Selected Works the last time I was there. Blew my mind. They never have my music.

Maleah
09-13-2007, 12:24 PM
We've had Selected Works in stock for over a year now, but I think at the moment we have every single Eagles cd available! :lol:

Perfect Little Sister
09-13-2007, 12:31 PM
All the stores around here suck for music selection. I think Borders had the catalog set as well as Selected Works. I'm not even sure if Barnes and Noble had SW. I know trying to find the guys' solo work is like searching for the Holy Grail around here. A few months ago I found Glenn's Universal Masters Collection at a Best Buy and almost started jumping up and down. lol I didn't even have money with me at the time as we went in there to get my son's iPod fixed. Lucky for me it was Wonderful Son with me and he bought it for his Momma.:love: I think he said something about enabling my addiction. :laugh:

Maleah
09-13-2007, 12:42 PM
:lol: Aww that's too sweet of him! :D Yeah, we don't have any of Glenn's stuff...unfortunately! We don't even have Joe's or the James Gang. We usually carry 3-4 of Don's works though.

sodascouts
09-13-2007, 02:26 PM
I bet you've never been prouder to be a Walmart employee, eh, Maleah? Does this make up for the time they made you search for a bomb? ;)

Maleah
09-13-2007, 03:02 PM
:lol: Well.........I don't know if it quite makes up for THAT.........but I AM really excited about it. :D I keep reminding everyone that no matter what it is.......anything Eagles related is mine :lol:

tbs fanatic
09-13-2007, 03:54 PM
:rofl: :rofl: That's too funny. Searching for a bomb????? Did you find it? :rofl: :rofl:

Maleah
09-13-2007, 04:19 PM
NO! lol Thank God we didn't. If you don't know the story by the way, we had a bomb threat called in to our store. They told us it was hidden in the mens clothing section. Our management made us go look for it :roll:

DonFan
09-13-2007, 06:38 PM
NO! lol Thank God we didn't. If you don't know the story by the way, we had a bomb threat called in to our store. They told us it was hidden in the mens clothing section. Our management made us go look for it :roll:

Every time I hear that story, Maleah, I am just incredulous. I know everything turned out fine, but you NEVER should have been asked to do that, NEVER! :shock: I swear, that is a lawsuit just waiting to happen.

Maleah
09-13-2007, 06:59 PM
They told us afterwards, when they realized they actually had people that were discussing a lawsuit, that something like that would never work because they never actually TOLD us to go look for the bomb. They said they ASKED....which I still think isn't right. But really.......do you think if they asked over 100 people to go look for a bomb......that they really would? Idiots :roll:

Sorry.......I didn't meant to hijack this thread.....but this subject always gets me going :lol:

sodascouts
09-13-2007, 07:29 PM
I'm the one that brought it up, Maleah! And I can understand why it gets you worked up! BTW you could still sue, they're wrong.

SweetHolly
09-13-2007, 09:55 PM
At the Wal-Mart Supercenter I usually shop at in Dallas, I noticed on Tuesday they had all the Eagles cd and they had a little display and it had all of them. I also noticed the had Don's greatest hits and The End Of The Innocence. The Farmers Branch Wal-Mart which is close to where I live hardly carries any Eagles cds, just greatest hits vol. 2, Selected Works, and Hell Freezes Over if you can find them. The cd department is so disorganized and the employees there are pretty rude so I try not to shop at that location very often.

Miss Ghost
09-13-2007, 11:02 PM
Every record store I've been to has the Eagles and Don but none of the other Eagles in stock.

Freypower
09-13-2007, 11:18 PM

"Comebacks are tricky business. An act must sound familiar enough not to alienate enduring fans, yet fresh enough to remain viable. The Eagles pull it off beautifully on the launch single from highly anticipated "Long Road out of Eden," their first album of all-new studio material in 28 years. "How Long" is a vintage gem culled from J.D. Souther's 1972 debut solo effort. (He had a hand in the Eagles classics "Best of My Love," "Heartache Tonight" and "New Kid in Town.") With clever, literate lines ("Like a bluebird with his heart removed, lonely as a train") and instantaneous singalong melody, the song is commanded by lead vocalists Don Henley and Glenn Frey, who deliver a signature sound as novel and warm as 30 years ago. Joe Walsh contributes a searing guitar solo, and Timothy B. Schmit's distinctive voice bolsters memorable Eagles harmonies. If it took this long for the band to create something this good, "How Long" was worth the wait. Already a Hot Shot debut at No. 44 at country radio and Most Added at AC, the Eagles' return proves to be more than a fond reminiscence. These guys are simply poised to soar all over again." —Deborah Evans Price

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/search/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003633783

That is wonderful. Thanks for posting that Soda. It sums the song up beautifully.

09-13-2007, 11:39 PM
"These guys are simply poised to soar all over again."

We knew that! :wink: :wink:

And OBTW, Maleah - Everytime I hear about your bomb story, I just cringe thinking of what could have happened. Not only could Walmart have been sued, they are damn lucky that they haven't been. :roll:

The Bomber
09-15-2007, 10:27 AM
Nice reviews, it's good to see the Eagles get some credit from the critics! I remember that back in 1990 or so Rolling Stone ran a story on Henley and Frey and I thought "They've begun to see the light." Now this good review. I hope they're as excited about the new album.

glenneaglesfan
09-16-2007, 11:38 AM
Yes, it's refreshing to see some critics being positive. Soda has the Rolling Stone article for download here.

http://www.glennfreyonline.com/articles/rollingstone90.htm

It's a very good interview.

Brooke
09-16-2007, 04:27 PM
My favorite critic (hubby) cleaned out my car for me yesterday (yes, he's a doll!)and I just happened to have HL in my cd player and he gave it the :thumbsup: !!! For him to say he really liked it is very unusual, even though he is a big fan, because he knows of my unbiased loyalty to the band and my certainty that they can do no wrong! :D

The Bomber
09-16-2007, 05:44 PM
That's the one, glenneaglesfan! Fun reading it again.

Mrs Frey
09-17-2007, 10:47 AM
Oops, I've missed a bit in this thread! Maleah, first of all I just want to say how sorry I am to read that your employees put you through such stress, "asking" you to look for a bomb :shock: :evil:. Good grief! How can they expect employees, with no protection and no idea about bomb diffusing, to go and look for a bomb? And if you had found one, what would they have expected you to do? :roll: I'm shaking my head in disbelief.

As for the availability of Eagles and solo Eagles material, I've noticed within the last few months that Eagles product has increased in a couple of our local stores. However, finding solo Eagles material is like finding gold dust. I've had to order all the Glenn :heart: material I've managed to obtain so far, either from music stores up-country or on import, and I STILL haven't managed to obtain everything. I've been waiting months (since March) for one of the albums I ordered. :roll:

I've only seen one of Don's albums, and nothing of Tim or Joe. When I inquired at one of the music stores about the new album, nobody seemed to know what I was talking about. :roll: :roll: :roll: I reckon I need to go and work there, and show them how it's done. :roll: (my eyes are tired now from all the eye-rolling... :wink: )

Soda, I enjoyed that Billboard review of "How Long". I just wish The Eagles had a higher profile locally. It is such a sad state of affairs. Their DVDs seem to sell well, so I really don't understand it. No sign of the "How Long" video on our television stations (is there a "shaking head" emoticon?).

EasyFeeling
09-19-2007, 01:18 PM
Oh my gosh..........you should SEE how many Eagles cd's we have in now! They're getting ready is all I can say! lol We have more cd's by the Eagles right now than we have of any other single artist. We have 3 rows! All Eagles! It's awesome! :lol:

Very cool, Maleah! :D If you go to the German stores and look for the Eagles you can find 3 or 4 CDs. :roll:

rcknalwys
09-19-2007, 06:44 PM
Our local WalMart is stocking more Eagles cd's now, but the only solo albums available are by Don and Joe. Too bad WM doesn't realize what a gold mine they'd have if they did carry the solo work!

sodascouts
09-24-2007, 08:00 AM
I just saw How Long on VH1's "Jumpstart." Very cool!

Perfect Little Sister
09-24-2007, 05:14 PM
I was just over at Billboard.com and they have HL listed as #14 on the Adult Contemporary Tracks list. They are also calling it "greatest gainer" whatever that means.

sodascouts
09-24-2007, 05:38 PM
Maybe that it's climbed the most quickly?

glenneaglesfan
09-25-2007, 03:10 AM
That's interesting, PLS. It was at 16 on 6 September, then a week later I looked and couldn't find it, and now it's back in at 14.

I agree about the lack of solo work in record stores. Our two main ones, Virgin and HMV, usually have most of the Eagles' albums, one or two of Don's and Joe's and nothing else. The only time I ever saw Glenn's Solo Collection on sale in a store was at Muscat airport in Oman!

farewell
10-03-2007, 08:46 AM
In Holland it is also mostly eagles and some Henley cd's. That's how I got 'inside job' and 'actual miles'. But the others you have to order. Last monday it was my birthday and I asked 'building the perfect beast' and 'end of the innocence', got them both, but my hubby had to waight for 2 1/2 week. No problem, but you'll never get them on a bargain or on special offer. Three monds ago I told him that I wanted those albums, so he would be on time. :wink:
And I got Joe's 'but seriously folks' the same way. It works, but you never get one by surprice. Pitty.

Mrs Frey
10-03-2007, 09:41 AM
Farewell, it's great that you've managed to get hold of Don's CDs, and how nice to get them for your birthday. Have you seen your birthday thread, by the way? :D

I'm STILL waiting for my Glenn :heart: "Soul Searchin'" album, as well as "Glenn Frey Live", which I ordered more recently :scowl:.

SweetHolly
10-04-2007, 09:35 PM
I hope you get your cds soon Mrs. Frey. Live and Soul Searchin' are both great albums. :D

EasyFeeling
10-12-2007, 11:59 AM
During the drive back home from the supermarket I was just about to put a CD into the player when a familiar song started :shock: ... yes, I've heard How Long for the very first time on the German radio. :D

Perfect Little Sister
10-12-2007, 12:05 PM
Whoo hooo!

EasyFeeling
10-12-2007, 12:10 PM
Yep, a special moment for me. :D Hopefully no one has seen or heard my reaction to that. :shock:

Perfect Little Sister
10-12-2007, 12:12 PM
Isn't it funny how excited we get when it comes on the radio? Even tho we can hear it whenever we want on their site, for some reason hearing it come on the radio is exciting. :D

EasyFeeling
10-12-2007, 12:14 PM
http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/g020.gif http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/g020.gif I don't get that, but it's true.

tbs fanatic
10-12-2007, 02:52 PM
I REALLY LOVE 'How Long' - I play it all the time. Even my kids friends are saying 'Why does your Mom play the same song over and over?' - Ha!

10-12-2007, 03:06 PM
Wow - I am so proud of my nieces. I have them trained so well. Last night I went to watch my 15 year old niece cheer at her high school JV football game. She had not had dinner and was "starving", so after the game I took her and her friend out to dinner. She had told me she saw the Eagles new video on television yesterday morning. As soon as we got in the car, she said to her friend, "Have you heard the Eagles new song? It's really cool!" The only problem is that she was a little slow because I had already put the CD in the player, so before her friend could answer How Long had already started to play. :nod:

Brooke
10-12-2007, 03:44 PM
Way to go dreamer! 8)

Glennsallnighter
10-12-2007, 04:45 PM
Again, I heard 'How Long' for the first time on my local Country station the other day bringing my daughter home from her guitar lesson. I also felt the same excitement hearing it on the radio and pointed out to the kids that it was an Eagles song. They loved it!
I had to do a very cruel thing this morning. The Radio station played it just before the 8:30 news as I was arriving at the dropoff for my daughters school. It killed me (and her) to have to drop her off before the song had finished. She left the car singing 'Ba ba ba Bye bye baby rock yourself to sleep!

EasyFeeling
10-13-2007, 05:47 AM
She left the car singing 'Ba ba ba Bye bye baby rock yourself to sleep!

http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/g020.gif Cool, I did the same. :wink:
Dreamer, it's great to hear that the young kids love this song too. I think it doesn't happen in Germany since most kids here are listening to rap and hip-hop. :roll:

glenneaglesfan
10-13-2007, 05:39 PM
I haven't heard it over here yet. Dreamer, your nieces sound cool.

glenneaglesfan
10-18-2007, 09:17 AM
YEAH!! I heard How Long on Classic Gold this morning, and then they announced a FOUR part interview with Nicky Horne starting this Sunday!!

http://mygoldmusic.co.uk/Article.asp?id=494950

Perfect Little Sister
10-26-2007, 11:42 AM
Yesterday on CMT's Power Picks:

VIDEO MATCHUPS
Here's your chance to program an entire hour of videos on CMT. During CMT Power Picks, the following videos will square off. The one with the most votes during the voting period will be the next video played during the show. Below are the matchups and winners from Thursday (October 25).
Artists Videos
Trace Adkins "I Got My Game On" Winner
VS.
Nickelback "Rockstar"
Keith Urban "I Told You So"
VS.
Dwight Yoakam "International Harvester" Winner
Bon Jovi "Till We Ain't Strangers Anymore"
VS.
Lee Ann Womack "I Hope You Dance" Winner
Dierks Bentley "Settle for a Slowdown" Winner
VS.
Shooter Jennings "Walk of Life"
Big & Rich "Between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace"
VS.
Rascal Flatts "Take Me There" Winner
Brooks & Dunn "Hillbilly Deluxe" Winner
VS.
Kenny Chesney "Summertime"
Sugarland "Everyday America" Winner
VS.
Carrie Underwood "So Small"
The Eagles "How Long" Winner
VS.
Faith Hill "This Kiss"
Little Big Town "I'm With the Band"
VS.
Josh Turner "Long Black Train" Winner
Dixie Chicks "I Can Love You Better"
VS.
Miranda Lambert and Jack Ingram "Gunpowder & Lead" Winner

Brooke
10-26-2007, 11:45 AM
Very cool, PLS!

And btw, I love your kittycat av! :)

Perfect Little Sister
10-26-2007, 12:11 PM
Thanks. Last year I made a calendar for my daughter with a picture of the cat for every month of the year. I nearly tore my hair out trying to get the shots. When doing animal photography one should really have an assistant...but I had to do it while she was at school so she wouldn't see.

Mrs Frey
11-14-2007, 07:07 AM
I thought it would never happen. And then it did. At 20:22 on Tuesday, 13 November 2007, it happened.

The "How Long" video played for the very first time on South African television!

I was in my bedroom with the door closed when I heard the first notes of the song, realised it was coming from the TV, and rushed barefoot to see it. I only missed a few sand dunes, and when Glenn's :heart: gorgeous face appeared on the screen singing, "Like a bluebird with its heart removed...", I was sitting glued to the screen, wide-eyed and grinning, not believing what I was seeing, but beside myself with glee.

Woo hoo hoo! I am so happy!! :D :yay: :blueblob: This is WAY overdue!!!

Glennsallnighter
11-14-2007, 07:11 AM
Thats Brilliant MF!
And thanks for your text when it happened :wink:

EasyFeeling
11-14-2007, 08:40 AM
Wooohooo MF :D It's always a special moment when you hear or see them, isn't it? 8) It didn't happen to me so far, our video channels know nothing about good music, they rather show Britney Spears or crap like that. :roll:

Mrs Frey
11-14-2007, 10:34 AM
Aw, I'm sorry to hear that, EF. I know exactly how you feel, though - it's much the same here, so you can imagine my surprise last night! :D

Glennsallnighter
11-14-2007, 02:12 PM
And again tonight MF, 24 hrs later! Looks like South Africa is finally starting to take notice of our boys :D

Brooke
11-14-2007, 05:27 PM
Wonderful news, MF! I'm so happy for you! :D

Mrs Frey
11-15-2007, 06:23 AM
And again tonight MF, 24 hrs later! Looks like South Africa is finally starting to take notice of our boys :D

I see you beat me to it, GA :wink:, but yes, at exactly 19:55 last night, "How Long" aired once again on the same channel :D. Once again I ran my legs off to see it!

I don't get a chance to watch much TV, but I can't imagine that it would have aired on any of the other local channels we have yet.

When I hear those opening notes, my heart just skips a beat! :blush:

Brooke
11-17-2007, 12:07 PM
How Long has made CMT's Top 20 Countdown in at #18 this week! 8)

Will it make it to #1?

EasyFeeling
11-17-2007, 12:41 PM
I've just looked in our charts in Germany and found a very successful German band called Die Ärzte on #1 followed by the Eagles as a new entry on # 2. :D :D :yay:

sodascouts
11-17-2007, 02:29 PM
Wow, thanks for the news Brooke and EF! Very cool!

sodascouts
11-17-2007, 05:14 PM
GAC is taking votes for "Video of the Year" and "How Long" is listed as a candidate. Click to vote:

http://www.gactv.com/gac/pac_ctnt/text/0,,GAC_26058_53997,0.html

Scroll down to the "T"'s on the list, as it's listed under "The Eagles." :roll: Then throw in nine more videos under it - I picked Brad Paisley's "Online" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GcVnhNjWV0) for No. 2. So funny!

Brooke
11-17-2007, 08:33 PM
GAC also has HL as #5 this week! 8)

Brooke
02-15-2008, 11:28 AM
JD Souther has his version of How Long up on his myspace site! Give it a listen. I think he sounds a bit like Glenn!

http://www.myspace.com/jdsouthermusic

glenneaglesfan
02-15-2008, 11:58 AM
Thanks for the link, Brooke. Isn't it interesting to hear such a different take on it? JD does sound like Glenn, especially in the first couple of lines.

02-15-2008, 12:06 PM
Thanks Brooke. I'll have to take a look tonight when I'm at home.

DonFan
02-15-2008, 01:32 PM
I agree--he does sound like Glenn.
His version isn't bad, but I definitely like the sound of the four voices of the Eagles blending together on this song much, much better.

Brooke
02-15-2008, 02:53 PM
I agree, DF. I definitely like the Eagles "rockier" version better. JD's is very countrified.

sodascouts
11-14-2012, 06:57 PM
"Like a bluebird with its heart removed, lonely as a train - I've run just as far as I can run."

What a bizarre lyric to start off what sounds like it's going to be a fun, bouncy song!

Perhaps this is supposed to be an ironic image - the bluebird is normally considered a happy bird full of song, but without a heart, all the joy is dead - same for him.

I guess the train is lonely because it chugs through the countryside in isolation on the tracks? And he feels he's going on and on alone - until he can't go any more?

TimothyBFan
11-15-2012, 01:45 PM
"Like a bluebird with its heart removed, lonely as a train - I've run just as far as I can run."

What a bizarre lyric to start off what sounds like it's going to be a fun, bouncy song!

Perhaps this is supposed to be an ironic image - the bluebird is normally considered a happy bird full of song, but without a heart, all the joy is dead - same for him.

I'll take that theory because I've never been able to come up with a meaning to it. To me it's always seemed they just stuck some words together that weren't suppose to make sense.

I'm starting to sound like a broken record BUT we need to hear it from the horse's mouths!! Maybe the dvd will answer some of these questionable lyrics?

Troubadour
11-15-2012, 02:27 PM
JD's dark humour is all over this one. Considering the bluebird is generally thought of as a symbol of happiness, joy and love, I can't think of anything sadder than a bluebird with its heart removed! The theme of the exterior looking pretty and appealing while the inside is ugly or empty runs through Eagles songs, and it is definitely present in this one. I think it conveys the weariness of that kind of superficial LA lifestyle. "Lonely as a train" is a great line and, to me, it paints a perfect picture of someone rushing through life, living fast, surrounded by pretty scenery, but failing to absorb any of it and certainly not sticking around long enough for anything deep and meaningful to develop. This is a digression, but I like 'Learn To Be Still' so much because it deals with this theme but in a positive way (with the benefit of maturity) and emphasizes the importance of slowing down once in a while to enjoy your surroundings and revel in the simple things. I think that's what the guy in 'How Long' wants, but he's not quite at that stage yet. "It's the same sad situation" - it's like he's stuck on a roundabout and he can't get off.

Tiffanny Twisted
11-15-2012, 08:03 PM
Ok I just like this song..what can i say..It gets me up rocking and dancing.
:partytime:

Prettymaid
11-15-2012, 08:14 PM
Like a bluebird with his heart removed
Lonely as a train
I've run just as far as I can run
If I never see the good old days
Shinin' in the sun
I'll be doin' fine and then some
How long, how long
Woman, will you weep?
How long, how long
Rock yourself to sleep
I've been doin' time in a lonesome prison
Where the sun don't shine
And just outside the freedom river runs
Out there in that shiny night
With bloodhounds on your mind
Don't you know it's the same sad situation
How long, how long
Woman, will you weep?
How long, how long
Rock yourself to sleep
Everybody feels alright
You know, I heard some poor fool say...
(Somebody oooh...)
Everyone is out there on the loose
Well, I wish I lived in the land of fools
And no one knew my name
But what you get is not quite what you choose
Tell me, how long, how long
Woman, will you weep?
How long, how long
Rock yourself to sleep
How long, how long
The muddy river runs so deep
How long, how long
Goodnight baby, rock yourself to sleep
Sleep tight, baby, rock yourself to sleep
B-b-b-bye bye, baby, rock yourself to sleep

Prettymaid
11-15-2012, 08:39 PM
Don't you people recognize a good ol' fashioned country-western song when you hear one? :hilarious: This is a throwback to David Allen Coe's You Never Even Call Me By My Name with the train and prison theme.

http://www.guitaretab.com/d/david-allen-coe/190248.html

Also, look at the similarities with the first verse of Hank Williams Sr.'s I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry.

Hear the lonesome whiperwill
He sounds too blue to fly
The midnight train is whining low
Im so lonesome I could cry

How does someone like me who doesn't care for country music know this stuff? Don't ask. :ack:

Bottom line: this song is about a guy who has escaped from prison and is on the run. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. ;-)

EaglesKiwi
11-16-2012, 05:31 AM
Poor little bluebird, I get such an awful graphic image when I hear that line!

Once I get over that line I enjoy the song as a bit of fun & love to sing along with it. Haven't really quite worked the lyrics out on this one yet.

TimothyBFan
11-16-2012, 08:50 AM
Don't you people recognize a good ol' fashioned country-western song when you hear one? :hilarious: This is a throwback to David Allen Coe's You Never Even Call Me By My Name with the train and prison theme.

http://www.guitaretab.com/d/david-allen-coe/190248.html

Also, look at the similarities with the first verse of Hank Williams Sr.'s I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry.

Hear the lonesome whiperwill
He sounds too blue to fly
The midnight train is whining low
Im so lonesome I could cry

How does someone like me who doesn't care for country music know this stuff? Don't ask. :ack:

Bottom line: this song is about a guy who has escaped from prison and is on the run. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. ;-)

Now I know that song (thanks Mom!) and I never put that together.

I'm with you PM. I think that's the story here. And once we get past the graphic image of that poor bluebird with his heart ripped out, it's a fun song that gets you moving.

Side note: Will never forget the first time I saw those 4 figures on a dark stage, holding guitars and just as the lights go up, the first note of this song began. Reduced me to tears! :smitten:

MaryCalifornia
12-20-2013, 07:50 PM
So for the country fans, what is your opinion of How Long? Even though it was on LROOE, JD wrote it in the early '70s, right? I really like it...I think it sounds like it could have been on an early Eagles album. Or is it over-produced? I wish they were playing it on this tour.

Freypower
12-20-2013, 08:41 PM
So for the country fans, what is your opinion of How Long? Even though it was on LROOE, JD wrote it in the early '70s, right? I really like it...I think it sounds like it could have been on an early Eagles album. Or is it over-produced? I wish they were playing it on this tour.

I am not a country fan but I'll tell you what I think. The song was indeed written in the early 70s. When it first came out I loved it & I still love Glenn's vocal, but the lyrics with their imagery of being in a prison don't do much for me. I can't relate to them. I don't know about overproduced... perhaps it is to some extent. I think it is far more a rock song than a country song.

sodascouts
12-21-2013, 12:39 AM
Moved the "How Long" posts here - hope nobody minds!

I love this song and I'm really glad they decided to put it on LROOE. It does have a country flavor to it, but in the modern sense more than the classic country sense.

The Thrill Is Never Gone
12-21-2013, 12:58 AM

I do not listen to country music. I like the way they did it on the Earlybird video.

thelastresort
12-21-2013, 01:45 PM
Prefer the version the Eagles did back in the 70s (they never released it as JDS has plans to put it on an album of his I believe), but I don't think it's that bad a song - probably one of the better things to come off LROOE. Agree it's more rock than country, but like many Eagles tracks it's neither one nor t'other!

12-21-2013, 03:23 PM
I love both the raw live version of the song from the 70's, as well as, the more polished version from LROOE. They are, obviously, different, but are equally pleasing to these ears. I guess you could say I just love the song - period! :nod: :nod:

Freypower
12-21-2013, 04:56 PM
Reading this thread again made me remember how excited we were at the announcement of the album (see our guesses about who sang which song) & the video. I love the video, mainly because it is the only Eagles 'single' video where Glenn sings (most) of the lead.

deb828
12-21-2013, 04:57 PM
I love that song, too, and like the video they made for LROOE. Especially the part in which they are sitting around with guitars informally.

Glennsallnighter
12-21-2013, 04:58 PM
I love it too!

deb828
12-21-2013, 06:02 PM
Guess I should look for that on YouTube. Is it the same one mentioned in HOTE, and a small clip shown? Thanks!

deb828
12-21-2013, 07:29 PM
Thanks for posting this Lamorna--it is all you said above about it! Love it!

luna65
12-21-2013, 07:45 PM
This is it!
It is indeed! What I love about that version is the Round Robin of vocals, I wish they'd done more of that on record. As fans we're luckily there's career-spanning footage out there.

Tiffanny Twisted
12-21-2013, 07:45 PM
I just love this song:grin:
cause they all look hot and happy in the video .:grin::grin: