PDA

View Full Version : Don Henley's Open Letters and E-mails

sodascouts
02-18-2014, 04:17 PM
We were talking in another thread about Don being an excellent letter writer. Sometimes those skills are put to use in an academic way, but other times they're put to use in an entertaining way. I thought it might be fun to have a thread where we discuss some of his more entertaining open letters and emails.

Here's an email that Don sent to HITS magazine in 2002. I got the text from HITS Daily Double (http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/news/newsPage.cgi?news03277m01). The italicized part is the backstory provided by the magazine; Don's letter starts with "Dear Loathsome Trade Hacks." [Rated PG-15 for language, lol]

The gala post-Grammy issue of HITS (it’s our sister print publication; you should check it out) contained eight crudely doctored post-Grammy party photos into which the stern visage of Don Henley had been pasted. We wondered whether Henley would be tickled or annoyed by our attempt at comedy; then we received the following email from the Eagle his bad self. Really. This time we didn’t make it up, folks.

Dear Loathsome Trade Hacks,

I was terribly amused by your series of fantasy scenarios detailing my supposed crawl through all the post-Grammy "company store" parties. In truth, I opted for a quiet, candlelit dinner with my beautiful wife at a seaside restaurant. You see, I didn’t want to attend any of those sumptuous bashes and be the guy who ordered that one extra glass of champagne that shifted the delicate balance and sent the industry careening over the edge into the abyss of total bankruptcy (although Sony’s music group shows a profit of $203 million for this past fiscal year).

In retrospect, though, I probably should have made the scene and kissed some record-company ass. Perhaps I could have gotten my own label deal. Maybe, while standing there admiring the ice sculpture filled with shrimp, I would have had an epiphany, seen the light and been converted: There is no God, there is no government, there are no individuals. There is only THE CORPORATION. The sovereign, almighty, world-governing Corporation—and we are all here to serve It.

Having thus come to my senses, I, too, would then be able to sign fledgling artists to unconscionable, long-term contracts with all those juicy deduction clauses like the one for breakage that dates back to 1928, when the records were made of shellac and would shatter if dropped. Tried to break a CD lately? Why, you couldn’t break one if you wedged it horizontally between Zach Horowitz’s butt cheeks and told him that all his master copyrights were about to revert to the true owners, the artists. But never mind that now. Then I could stick those stupid artists with at least 50% of the independent-promotion costs, even though they had nothing to do with allowing that practice to become institutionalized. For an encore, I could whack ’em again with "free goods," packaging deductions, video costs, etc., etc., ad infinitum.

"Sit your temperamental, flaky, naive ass down here, artist. Disgruntled about your deal after your third album sold 5 million copies? Sure, we’ll renegotiate with you. We’ll just give you what basically amounts to your own money, which we’ve been holding in the pipeline and collecting interest on, but we’re also gonna start the clock all over again and tack on three more albums at the end so that you’re essentially starting all over again. It’s a beautiful thing. You’re gonna love it here—for the rest of your career, which actually could be over in five minutes, but hey, that’s not our problem (we own your master copyrights, you boob). So you can just sell the house in the hills and go back to that crappy little town you came from, and the world ‘will not long remember what we did here, etc…’ We’ll just write off any losses we may have incurred (although we really haven’t incurred any). It’s just the cost of doing business. Then we’ll proceed to the next gullible sap with a dream. You came from diddlysquat, and you’ll get used to diddlysquat again.

"Meanwhile, here at media-mogul headquarters, we’ve got to lock up the house in Santa Barbara, as well as the one in the Hamptons (plus the vacation pad in Acapulco) and rush off to get the corporate jet serviced. It’s in dire need of a tune-up after all those trips to France, and the new one won’t be delivered until we find the next Flavor-of-the-Month and bring in some serious profits (or prophets—we could really use either). After all, we’ve got to fund our mass-production assembly line somehow. You know—all the crap we sign just because some 21-year-old A&R man tells us it’s brilliant. You can’t expect us to sacrifice our bottom line just for the sake of culture. We don’t give a shit about culture. That kind of starry-eyed idealism doesn’t fit in with our plan for world domination, much less the plans of our board of directors and our major stockholders. We’ve got quarterly reports to file, and we’ve got a 90%-plus failure rate that screams out, ‘We don’t know what the fuck we’re doing.’’’ ("Gentlemen, gentlemen! We’ve got to protect our phony baloney jobs!" —Mel Brooks, Blazing Saddles)

"I mean, who would have thought those freakin’ hillbillies would have sold over 3 million albums and won five Grammys!? And no tits, no ass, no cursing, no nothing! Just…uh…musicianship and soulfulness. We don’t get it. Is there something we’re missing? Is there some hunger out there for authenticity? We’re so confused!"

Meanwhile, back in the real world: In order to finally settle these escalating disputes between artists and the record companies with the dignity and class indicative of these times, I have come up with a plan. Hilary Rosen and I will engage in a bout of nude mud wrestling, which will be broadcast on that paragon of good taste, the Fox Network (if Fox doesn’t want it, then we’ll do it on The WB). If I win, she has to sleep with Zach Horowitz. If she wins, I have to purchase a lifetime subscription to HITS magazine—and actually read it.

Love and kisses,
Don Henley

ktdids
02-18-2014, 04:27 PM
Great idea Soda!
This one is a masterpiece! Brings me to tears every time I read this!

sodascouts
02-18-2014, 04:28 PM
Here's another (much shorter) one. In recent years, Don has done brief email Q&As which are usually pretty standard fare. However, when one interviewer named John Soeder emailed him a particularly inane "question," Don's answer put him into his place quickly and efficiently.

This is from The Cleveland Plain Dealer (http://www.cleveland.com/popmusic/index.ssf/2009/03/with_eagles_ready_to_land_at_t.html). Date: 2009.
John Soeder: On "Hotel California," you sing: "So I called up the captain / 'Please bring me my wine' / He said, 'We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.' " I realize I'm probably not the first to bring this to your attention, but wine isn't a spirit. Wine is fermented; spirits are distilled. Wine also has a lower ABV (alcohol by volume) percentage than spirits. Do you regret that lyric?

Don Henley: Thanks for the tutorial and, no, you're not the first to bring this to my attention -- and you're not the first to completely misinterpret the lyric and miss the metaphor. Believe me, I've consumed enough alcoholic beverages in my time to know how they are made and what the proper nomenclature is. But that line in the song has little or nothing to do with alcoholic beverages. It's a sociopolitical statement. My only regret would be having to explain it in detail to you, which would defeat the purpose of using literary devices in songwriting and lower the discussion to some silly and irrelevant argument about chemical processes.

Ive always been a dreamer
02-18-2014, 07:26 PM
OMG - I've seen those both before, but I still get a giggle out of reading them. Don has such a twisted sense of humor and his rebellious side is still alive and well. I love 'em. :thumbsup:

shunlvswx
02-18-2014, 07:43 PM
OMG That first letter was too funny. You gotta love Don's sense of humor. He can be funny and very serious at the same time. And someone said he doesn't have a sense of humor.:shrug:

VAisForEagleLovers
02-18-2014, 08:29 PM
I know, these are hysterical!! I could read these all day. Everytime I write a letter of complaint to Ticketmaster (which is frequently), I approach it with "how would Don say this?".

Brooke
02-19-2014, 12:28 PM
OMG, that is hilarious! I love it! And even though Don is being 'funny' you know that deep down inside he is serious as hell!

You go, Don! :thumbsup:

sodascouts
02-19-2014, 12:31 PM
I've been trying to find some other letters/emails and while I've found a couple references to letters he wrote (one to Andy Stone sounds like it could be interesting, but I've just seen one line), getting the whole text of the letter is a lot more challenging. I haven't given up yet, though any help is appreciated!

sodascouts
02-19-2014, 01:02 PM
We were talking in another thread about Don being an excellent letter writer. Sometimes those skills are put to use in an academic way, but other times they're put to use in an entertaining way. I thought it might be fun to have a thread where we discuss some of his more entertaining open letters and emails.

Here's an email that Don sent to HITS magazine in 2002. I got the text from HITS Daily Double (http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/news/newsPage.cgi?news03277m01). The first part is the backstory provided by the magazine; Don's letter starts with "Dear Loathsome Trade Hacks." [Rated PG-15 for language, lol]

The gala post-Grammy issue of HITS (it’s our sister print publication; you should check it out) contained eight crudely doctored post-Grammy party photos into which the stern visage of Don Henley had been pasted. We wondered whether Henley would be tickled or annoyed by our attempt at comedy; then we received the following email from the Eagle his bad self. Really. This time we didn’t make it up, folks.

I was terribly amused by your series of fantasy scenarios detailing my supposed crawl through all the post-Grammy "company store" parties. In truth, I opted for a quiet, candlelit dinner with my beautiful wife at a seaside restaurant. You see, I didn’t want to attend any of those sumptuous bashes and be the guy who ordered that one extra glass of champagne that shifted the delicate balance and sent the industry careening over the edge into the abyss of total bankruptcy (although Sony’s music group shows a profit of $203 million for this past fiscal year).

In retrospect, though, I probably should have made the scene and kissed some record-company ass. Perhaps I could have gotten my own label deal. Maybe, while standing there admiring the ice sculpture filled with shrimp, I would have had an epiphany, seen the light and been converted: There is no God, there is no government, there are no individuals. There is only THE CORPORATION. The sovereign, almighty, world-governing Corporation—and we are all here to serve It.

Having thus come to my senses, I, too, would then be able to sign fledgling artists to unconscionable, long-term contracts with all those juicy deduction clauses like the one for breakage that dates back to 1928, when the records were made of shellac and would shatter if dropped. Tried to break a CD lately? Why, you couldn’t break one if you wedged it horizontally between Zach Horowitz’s butt cheeks and told him that all his master copyrights were about to revert to the true owners, the artists. But never mind that now. Then I could stick those stupid artists with at least 50% of the independent-promotion costs, even though they had nothing to do with allowing that practice to become institutionalized. For an encore, I could whack ’em again with "free goods," packaging deductions, video costs, etc., etc., ad infinitum.

"Sit your temperamental, flaky, naive ass down here, artist. Disgruntled about your deal after your third album sold 5 million copies? Sure, we’ll renegotiate with you. We’ll just give you what basically amounts to your own money, which we’ve been holding in the pipeline and collecting interest on, but we’re also gonna start the clock all over again and tack on three more albums at the end so that you’re essentially starting all over again. It’s a beautiful thing. You’re gonna love it here—for the rest of your career, which actually could be over in five minutes, but hey, that’s not our problem (we own your master copyrights, you boob). So you can just sell the house in the hills and go back to that crappy little town you came from, and the world ‘will not long remember what we did here, etc…’ We’ll just write off any losses we may have incurred (although we really haven’t incurred any). It’s just the cost of doing business. Then we’ll proceed to the next gullible sap with a dream. You came from diddlysquat, and you’ll get used to diddlysquat again.

"Meanwhile, here at media-mogul headquarters, we’ve got to lock up the house in Santa Barbara, as well as the one in the Hamptons (plus the vacation pad in Acapulco) and rush off to get the corporate jet serviced. It’s in dire need of a tune-up after all those trips to France, and the new one won’t be delivered until we find the next Flavor-of-the-Month and bring in some serious profits (or prophets—we could really use either). After all, we’ve got to fund our mass-production assembly line somehow. You know—all the crap we sign just because some 21-year-old A&R man tells us it’s brilliant. You can’t expect us to sacrifice our bottom line just for the sake of culture. We don’t give a shit about culture. That kind of starry-eyed idealism doesn’t fit in with our plan for world domination, much less the plans of our board of directors and our major stockholders. We’ve got quarterly reports to file, and we’ve got a 90%-plus failure rate that screams out, ‘We don’t know what the fuck we’re doing.’’’ ("Gentlemen, gentlemen! We’ve got to protect our phony baloney jobs!" —Mel Brooks, Blazing Saddles)

"I mean, who would have thought those freakin’ hillbillies would have sold over 3 million albums and won five Grammys!? And no tits, no ass, no cursing, no nothing! Just…uh…musicianship and soulfulness. We don’t get it. Is there something we’re missing? Is there some hunger out there for authenticity? We’re so confused!"

Meanwhile, back in the real world: In order to finally settle these escalating disputes between artists and the record companies with the dignity and class indicative of these times, I have come up with a plan. Hilary Rosen and I will engage in a bout of nude mud wrestling, which will be broadcast on that paragon of good taste, the Fox Network (if Fox doesn’t want it, then we’ll do it on The WB). If I win, she has to sleep with Zach Horowitz. If she wins, I have to purchase a lifetime subscription to HITS magazine—and actually read it.

Love and kisses,
Don Henley

That's an absolutely epic example of Don's sarcastic wit, isn't it?

I wonder if he feels the same contempt and disgust towards record company execs nowadays, or if in the 12 years since the writing of that email, he has come to view them in a more sympathetic light.

ktdids
02-19-2014, 10:20 PM
I think he has just as much contempt and disgust for the music industry, but it may pale in comparison to his view of the new digital world technology.

02-19-2014, 11:50 PM
I think he has just as much contempt and disgust for the music industry, but it may pale in comparison to his view of the new digital world technology.

:hmm: I'm not sure I agree with that, ktdids. I think the history of Don's long-felt contempt for the music industry is unsurpassed by anything else. He has even had harsh words to say about the music industry in relation to the release of his Cass County album.

Houston Debutante
02-20-2014, 11:39 AM

Here's an email that Don sent to HITS magazine in 2002. I got the text from HITS Daily Double (http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/news/newsPage.cgi?news03277m01). The italicized part is the backstory provided by the magazine; Don's letter starts with "Dear Loathsome Trade Hacks." [Rated PG-15 for language, lol]

Love and kisses,
Don Henley

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I love Don. How many other rock stars can write a letter like that?

About whether he's changed his mind about record companies, I bet he hasn't, tho like ktdids said he might have found other things he hates more, or at least as much.

Hope you can find more letters, I'm loving this thread.

Houston Debutante
02-20-2014, 12:02 PM
Here's another (much shorter) one. In recent years, Don has done brief email Q&As which are usually pretty standard fare. However, when one interviewer named John Soeder emailed him a particularly inane "question," Don's answer put him into his place quickly and efficiently.

This is from The Cleveland Plain Dealer (http://www.cleveland.com/popmusic/index.ssf/2009/03/with_eagles_ready_to_land_at_t.html). Date: 2009.
John Soeder: On "Hotel California," you sing: "So I called up the captain / 'Please bring me my wine' / He said, 'We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.' " I realize I'm probably not the first to bring this to your attention, but wine isn't a spirit. Wine is fermented; spirits are distilled. Wine also has a lower ABV (alcohol by volume) percentage than spirits. Do you regret that lyric?

Don Henley: Thanks for the tutorial and, no, you're not the first to bring this to my attention -- and you're not the first to completely misinterpret the lyric and miss the metaphor. Believe me, I've consumed enough alcoholic beverages in my time to know how they are made and what the proper nomenclature is. But that line in the song has little or nothing to do with alcoholic beverages. It's a sociopolitical statement. My only regret would be having to explain it in detail to you, which would defeat the purpose of using literary devices in songwriting and lower the discussion to some silly and irrelevant argument about chemical processes.

These are killing me, Don showed him. Don doesn't have much patience with fools, good for him.

DJ
02-20-2014, 04:49 PM
Don has always been very eloquent with what he says. He rarely made a statement that wasn't poignant, which is very detailed in the song writing.
He wanted to be a journalism major, he's a smart dude! Not to mention pretty damn cute. :hug:

Houston Baby
02-24-2014, 09:28 PM
These are PRICELESS! I have always heard stories about Don's letter writing skills but never read one. Now this is entertainment! Thanks Soda!!!

DivineDon
02-25-2014, 01:31 PM
[/quote]
Eloquent sarcasm at its best. Don you ARE the man :thumbsup:

Houston Debutante
02-26-2014, 01:15 PM
He sure is. Wish we could find more of these, I tried Google and couldn't find anything, but I didn't spent a huge amount of time on it. I'll try again later.

sad-cafe
02-26-2014, 11:57 PM
I would love to see the toilet paper letter

DivineDon
02-27-2014, 09:58 AM
I would love to see the toilet paper letter

Speaking of the 'toilet roll incident', there's a programme here where two hoteliers go around other establishments giving tips on how to improve and increase their market and the first thing one guy does is go into each ensuite to see if the toilet roll is around the right way, a la Don!!

Also, I read somewhere that according to feng shui the toilet roll should be coming towards you to create 'harmony' in your bathroom and increase your finances - the other way means money rolling out of your purse! As Don doesn't seem to be doing too badly in the old finance department, maybe it works?

Can I hear a stampede for the loo? lol :)

Houston Debutante
02-28-2014, 02:12 PM
It hasn't worked for me yet :lol:

Brooke
02-28-2014, 02:49 PM
It hasn't worked for me yet :lol:

Me either, HD! :lol:

bluefeather
03-08-2014, 06:12 PM
:hilarious::hilarious:

Lilah
03-10-2014, 09:35 PM
There is no doubt that Mr. Henley is the DON of the "scorched earth" letter. I found this on ebay and shamelessly took a screen shot of it. In my defense, I did bid on it, but since I have minors to support there are limits to my Don/Eagle obsession, monetarily speaking. However, it does show a more generous side of his spirit.

sodascouts
03-11-2014, 11:23 AM
Ah, the softer side. ;) Thanks Lilah!

bluefeather
03-11-2014, 06:42 PM
nice of him:)

ktdids
03-12-2014, 12:02 AM
Always nice to have something that shows Don generosity.

DivineDon
03-12-2014, 08:11 AM
Lovely sweet Don, Thanks for sharing. :grouphug:

Houston Debutante
03-13-2014, 01:35 PM
Haters like to say he's greedy but I think his generosity to so many causes like this one prove that isn't true.

Thanks for posting this sweet letter.

03-15-2014, 04:01 PM
Yep - I enjoyed reading that and thanks from me as well, Lilah. From everything I've ever read and seen, Don is very generous with his time and money for things that he feels strongly about. Good on him! :thumbsup:

sodascouts
05-26-2014, 04:38 PM
Well, this isn't exactly eloquent, but it made me laugh.

(Warning: cussing!)

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/don/HateNote.png

Houston Baby
05-26-2014, 09:27 PM
OMG!!:rofl:

Thanks Soda! I needed a good laugh today.

BTW - Love your avatar today!!

Houston Debutante
05-26-2014, 09:45 PM
LOL!!! Now I want to read what that article they were responding to said!

05-26-2014, 10:57 PM
That is just too funny! :lol: