PDA

View Full Version : Old Saturday Night Live episode with Don has musical guest

shunlvswx
03-01-2014, 02:59 PM
I was going through my guide to see when Don F was suppose to be on that On Tap show on VH1 Classic and found out the episode that Don was musical guest in 2001 will be on tomorrow at 1:00pm Eastern/12:00pm Central.

I don't know if all shows on VH1 Classic are shown at the same time across the US, but if you have this station check out the episode. I will record it since I'm at church at that moment.

ktdids
03-01-2014, 04:45 PM
Shun, if that show host is Conan O'Brien, Don is in a skit as well. It's not a really funny one, but he's in it!

shunlvswx
03-01-2014, 04:50 PM
Yes that's the one.

I actually have that episode(or Don's clips) on DVD. That skit that Don's in, Saturday Night Live seem to do that a lot with their musical guest. I guess they stopped it when the actors who were in the skit left the show.

sodascouts
03-01-2014, 07:09 PM
I hope he's actually in it and not edited out! If you try to stream episodes on Netflix, all the music guests after 1980 have been edited out (the SNL folks didn't want to pay royalties). However, perhaps that's not the case with broadcasts.

I'm going to set my DVR - thanks for the heads up!

shunlvswx
03-01-2014, 07:47 PM
I forgot VH1 Classic cuts it and its only an hour, but if I remember. They do show the musical guest. I think Don will be on.

shunlvswx
03-02-2014, 03:18 PM
OK. They didn't show his skit or the other song he sang on the song. I forgot the other song he sings, but it was good that they did put one of his songs in that one hour. I got nervous that they weren't going to show Don. Even if they didn't show any of Don's skits or performance, we would had seen him at the end when they say goodbye.

IT was nice to see Don. You know whats funny. The 13th anniversary of that episode is in 8 days. March 10th. What a concidience. They showed it.

sodascouts
03-02-2014, 04:34 PM
I basically fast forwarded everything that wasn't Don, which means I fast forwarded about 45 minutes. Great photos of Don at the beginning and before his performance!

They showed him performing EIDN. This was back when he was wearing sunglasses indoors all the time, inexplicably hiding those eyes and looking a bit silly. Thankfully he gave that up about a year later. EIDN didn't exactly highlight his stage presence as he tends to grimace through this song. It amped up nicely at the end though, beginning with the part where he sings "I don't care what you do for a living" - that whole segment is my fave part of the song for a reason. He had a whole choir of black folks backing him for the ending. Thus, he went out with a bang!

shunlvswx
03-02-2014, 07:29 PM
I love the climax on the song. It was a great performance. I think in the other sing he sang on the show the sunglasses were gone. At least wit these sunglasses, you can still see his blue eyes. I love the song, but I hate when he changes his voice at the beginning and then again into the second voice.

Oh Remember when I askede if Steuart was in Don's band during the IJ tour, the guy with dark hair wearing the hat who played electric guitar is who I thought was Steuart. In a clip when Don was touring with Stevie, he was in the band with Steuart too, but I wasn't in the band when I saw the Atlantic City clips from February of last year. That guy has been in Don's band since EOTI tour.

Freypower
03-02-2014, 08:13 PM
I love the climax on the song. It was a great performance. I think in the other sing he sang on the show the sunglasses were gone. At least wit these sunglasses, you can still see his blue eyes. I love the song, but I hate when he changes his voice at the beginning and then again into the second voice.

Oh Remember when I askede if Steuart was in Don's band during the IJ tour, the guy with dark hair wearing the hat who played electric guitar is who I thought was Steuart. In a clip when Don was touring with Stevie, he was in the band with Steuart too, but I wasn't in the band when I saw the Atlantic City clips from February of last year. That guy has been in Don's band since EOTI tour.

You may be referring to Frank Simes. I don't know if he is still in Don's band because he started playing with Felder, I think.

shunlvswx
03-02-2014, 09:01 PM
That's him. Thanks, FP.

He's got an impressive resume. Don, Roger Daltery, The Who, Stevie. I saw on his Facebook page that he is touring with Don F. So he went from one Don to another. LOL He's the same age as my mother. He's got a birthday coming up on the 7th.

It was nice seeing Will too in the band.

ktdids
03-02-2014, 09:45 PM
The skit is not what I would call funny, and the actors involved in it were not really funny on the show to begin with. Inadvertently, Don's snarky lines could have been true of the actors themselves, not just the parts they played.

sodascouts
03-02-2014, 09:58 PM
It does indeed sound sucky from this summary off of tviv.org (http://tviv.org/Saturday_Night_Live/Conan_O%27Brien/Don_Henley):

The DeMarco Brothers (http://tviv.org/Saturday_Night_Live/The_DeMarco_Brothers) - Audition for Don Henley: With the help of Minor, Henley is auditioning new dancers. They turn down a fat dancer (Sanz). Kyle (Parnell) and Sean DeMarco (Kattan) arrive with their cousin Shannon (O'Brien), who is there for "tech support and understudying, but mostly tech support" to audition. Their first number, to All She Wants to Do Is Dance, is awful, so they follow it up with an equally awful Hotel California number. Before Henley throws them out, they try a third number to Dirty Laundry, which requires a third dancer, and they reluctantly take Shannon, but their "number" is kicking the crap out of him. Henley stops the music to help Shannon, but he doesn't hire the Dimarcos. (Note: Rerun broadcasts only.)

shunlvswx
03-02-2014, 10:02 PM
I've seen that skit a few times with other musical guest. Its funny, but very stupid. I feel bad for the musical guest of that week when they had to do that stupid skit when they were on the show. Thank goodness it stopped when the main actors of the skit left.

ktdids
03-02-2014, 10:36 PM
It does indeed sound sucky from this summary off of tviv.org (http://tviv.org/Saturday_Night_Live/Conan_O%27Brien/Don_Henley):

The DeMarco Brothers (http://tviv.org/Saturday_Night_Live/The_DeMarco_Brothers) - Audition for Don Henley: With the help of Minor, Henley is auditioning new dancers. They turn down a fat dancer (Sanz). Kyle (Parnell) and Sean DeMarco (Kattan) arrive with their cousin Shannon (O'Brien), who is there for "tech support and understudying, but mostly tech support" to audition. Their first number, to All She Wants to Do Is Dance, is awful, so they follow it up with an equally awful Hotel California number. Before Henley throws them out, they try a third number to Dirty Laundry, which requires a third dancer, and they reluctantly take Shannon, but their "number" is kicking the crap out of him. Henley stops the music to help Shannon, but he doesn't hire the Dimarcos. (Note: Rerun broadcasts only.)

Don's best line was, "I've got good news and bad news. The good news, is that you guys REALLY seem to enjoy what you're doing, but that's also the bad news! How about doing something that's not as terrible?"
He looked good though, sunglasses and all.

sodascouts
03-03-2014, 12:20 AM
I just tried to find the SNL episode on Netflix thinking that even if they cut out the musical numbers, maybe they'd have this skit. Weirdly, it seems all the SNL seasons except the 2010's have been taken off of streaming. When did that happen?!

Well, this is the information age, so I Googled my question and found the answer: Jan. 1, 2014. Looks like they've been made exclusive to Yahoo (http://www.avclub.com/article/yahoo-helps-hulu-and-netflix-come-of-age-by-taking-96976). Oh well. It probably wasn't on there anyway!

MaryCalifornia
03-03-2014, 02:10 AM
I just learned of a thing called Yahoo Screen, my friend has the app on the phone and it is a website, and you can watch SNL episodes/sketches - it's easy. It has worked for everything I've looked for (most recently Melissa McCarthy in "Lulu Diamonds", but that's for another thread!) :)

sodascouts
03-03-2014, 09:28 AM
I was checking that out. It appeared to only be sketches rather than full episodes (with the exception of the most recent ones).

If anyone has it - do they have full episodes as far back as the 2000-2001 season, when Don appeared?

Topkat
03-03-2014, 09:30 AM
I missed this! Crap.

shunlvswx
03-03-2014, 05:47 PM
I found the episode(of course I don't know how to get it off of the DVD), he sings EIDN and HOTM plus the skit. I forgot it was an older song he sings.

Houston Debutante
03-03-2014, 08:46 PM
Did you buy the DVD? Where can I get it?

shunlvswx
03-03-2014, 08:55 PM
I bought a bootleg of some of Don's performances about 2 years ago and it was on there.

ktdids
03-04-2014, 11:33 AM
Shun, does it also have his appearance on Letterman? He did a smoking hot version of You Don't Know Me, and I've wondered if he sat down to talk to Dave afterwards.

shunlvswx
03-04-2014, 01:47 PM
I think Soda has that performance on this website.

shunlvswx
03-04-2014, 01:51 PM
Here you go, ktdids. I found the Letterman performance on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-sw5PtSgjw

sodascouts
03-04-2014, 08:16 PM
Love that. Why he didn't promote that song more is beyond me.

ktdids
03-05-2014, 01:43 AM
Love that. Why he didn't promote that song more is beyond me.

Always a crowd pleaser that one!
He put a lot of effort into Garden of Allah instead of this one; who knows what goes through his mind making these decisions.

DivineDon
03-05-2014, 01:13 PM
Don looks and sounds so great in that video. HOT HOT HOT.

Love his 'kick-ass attitude'! :applause:

Brooke
03-05-2014, 04:08 PM
Love it! Thanks shun!

Thirsty&Hot
03-07-2014, 11:51 PM
Don's performance of Heart of the Matter and a skit from SNL

https://cloud.real.com/s/vknCZP

https://cloud.real.com/s/JkSYnP

shunlvswx
03-10-2014, 11:55 AM
Today's the 13th Anniversary of Don appearing on Saturday Night Live. I think VH1 Classic should had played yesterday then last week, but it was good that they even played it so close to the actual date it came on.

Zanny Kingston
03-10-2014, 12:31 PM
T&H - thanks for sharing those . Maybe its just a dreary Monday, but I thought the skit was funny. I loved the DeMarco brothers comment to Don-
"Take it easy, Witchy Woman, I keep thinking about that and it makes me laugh.Their dance routines were pretty funny as well. Too bad Don was doing the sunglasses thing during the skit, I would have loved to have seen his expression. I also loved " Joe Walsh gave us cookies and Snapple!"

Houston Debutante
03-13-2014, 01:33 PM
Don's performance of Heart of the Matter and a skit from SNL

https://cloud.real.com/s/vknCZP

https://cloud.real.com/s/JkSYnP

Thanks for this ~ too bad about the quality but it's better than nothing.

That skit had some funny moments but 99% unfunny. Maybe Don requested it not be shown on reruns, he's no actor as he says, but at least it features more Don and there's another picture of him after it. Can't complain about that.

shunlvswx
12-26-2014, 09:04 PM
VH1 is showing a SNL special of the different decade from 1980s through 2000s in 2 hour parts. So I was watching Saturday Night Live in the 80s: Lost and Found special. They were showing old cast members, some musical performances. As I wast watching, I looked up and Don was my screen singing the second verse of Last Worthless Evening. His perforance ended the SNL 80s special. I was shocked and it was cool to see Don and hear him sing as the old cast members talked about their time on SNL in the 80s.

What's funny is. I have seen this special before, but I don't remember ever seeing Don's performance at the end of this special. I wonder if they will show his performance from 2001 in the SNL in the 2000s special.

Ive always been a dreamer
12-27-2014, 12:55 AM
Thanks for the heads up, shun. Sorry I missed that - it would be cool to see. Do you know when the 2000 special runs? I'd love to try to catch it to see if they show Don again.

shunlvswx
12-27-2014, 02:11 AM
The 80s SNL special will be coming on again today at 3:00pm Eastern/2:00pm central. If you don't want to watch the whole thing, watch the last 30 minutes of the special.

His appearance from 2001 didn't appear on the 2000s SNL special, just the 80s one.

Ive always been a dreamer
12-27-2014, 02:17 AM
Thanks for the info, shun. I won't be home this afternoon to watch it, but maybe I can record it.

sodascouts
12-28-2014, 01:30 AM
Thanks for the heads up!

shunlvswx
03-10-2015, 10:05 PM
Happy 13th Anniversary to Don's appearance on Saturday Night Live.

shunlvswx
03-10-2016, 11:14 AM
Happy 15th Anniversary to Don's guest musical appearance on Saturday Night Live. Too bad there's no video of Don's appearance on SNL floating around. I have episode on a DVD.

RudieCantFail
06-12-2016, 03:53 AM
Didn't really want to start a new thread, but in an SNL special called, "Saturday Night Live in the '80s: Lost & Found," they showed footage of Don singing "The Last Worthless Evening." It's from the TEOTI era, so you see the long hair Don. It's at the last 10 minutes of the show, maybe last 7-8 to be more specific. They show footage of Don and then they quietly play it in the background as a former SNL cast member talks. I just ignored what the guy was saying and tried to focus on the song and you can still hear it.

sodascouts
06-16-2016, 09:02 PM
Didn't really want to start a new thread, but in an SNL special called, "Saturday Night Live in the '80s: Lost & Found," they showed footage of Don singing "The Last Worthless Evening." It's from the TEOTI era, so you see the long hair Don. It's at the last 10 minutes of the show, maybe last 7-8 to be more specific. They show footage of Don and then they quietly play it in the background as a former SNL cast member talks. I just ignored what the guy was saying and tried to focus on the song and you can still hear it.

Cool! Thanks for the heads-up! Too bad about the guy talking over it.

shunlvswx
03-10-2017, 11:18 PM
Happy 16th Anniversary to Don's second and last appearance on Saturday Night Live.

I have the very edited version still on my DVR and I decided to watch it.

shunlvswx
03-10-2018, 10:05 PM
Happy 17th Anniversary to Don's second and last appearance on Saturday Night Live.

I still have the recording when they shown it on TV I think 3 years ago. I might watch it tonight.

shunlvswx
03-10-2020, 02:57 PM
Happy 19th Anniversary to Don last appearance on Saturday Night Live.

KingWalsh
03-11-2020, 08:24 AM
Wow 19 years???? Time goes by way to fast. Have to see if I can find somewhere. I don’t think I’ve ever seen it.

sodascouts
03-11-2020, 10:45 AM
One thing I noted earlier in the thread is how his appearance is edited out of the Netflix rerun of the show (along with all the other musical guests). So disappointing!

shunlvswx
03-11-2020, 11:09 AM
I have an Amazon Firestick and I was going to watch his episode yesterday and for some reason they had 1990s episodes for the whole 26th season. I was mad. I did find his 1990 appearance. It played all the songs he sang on that episode.