PDA

View Full Version : The Oscars

sodascouts
03-02-2014, 09:08 PM
Is anyone else watching tonight? I'm watching the preshow now. Gosh, I wish I had dresses like some of these ladies... And that I had the body to pull them off! An occasion to wear them to would also be helpful. ;)

ktdids
03-02-2014, 09:30 PM
I'm watching, but I don't know why I'm really watching, possibly because there's nothing on PBS!

sodascouts
03-02-2014, 09:39 PM
Yeah - no Sherlock, no Downton Abbey (except for some preview special).

Ellen DeGeneres is not impressing me with the comedy. Let's just get to the freaking awards please!

MaryCalifornia
03-02-2014, 10:31 PM
I spent the past 8 years on the East Coast, and this is my 1st Oscar show back in CA and I'm totally thrown off by the time! It started at 5:30 here, ack! Good think I had it TIVO'd. I wanted to see Johnny Weir talk about the dresses but I couldn't find the Access Hollywood :x

sodascouts
03-02-2014, 10:51 PM
Wow, how sad is this: of all the movies nominated for various awards, the only ones I've seen are American Hustle, Saving Mr. Banks (nominated for best score), Star Trek: Into Darkness, and Iron Man 3 (the last two were nominated for special effects). Unfortunately, I hated American Hustle. Therefore, I'm rooting for any other movie than that one to win!

Well, I did kind of hope Bradley Cooper would win because he's so hot. :blush:

Man, my childhood crush Harrison Ford sounded like he was hitting the bottle before the show. What's happened to Han?

The lady singing was sweet, but went on a bit long. Still, the movie 20 Feet from Stardom sounds interesting for music fans like us.

Brangelina is still a thing?

Anything with Liza Minelli is unfunny. Leave her alone Ellen!

The selfie thing was funny because of all the younger stars running to be a part of it. Meanwhile the Hollywood stars born before 1970 are like "what's a selfie?" Lol

sodascouts
03-02-2014, 10:56 PM
U2! I will always love you!

ETA: Benedict Cumberbatch! I will always love you too! ;)

ktdids
03-03-2014, 12:56 AM
Yeah - no Sherlock, no Downton Abbey (except for some preview special).

Ellen DeGeneres is not impressing me with the comedy. Let's just get to the freaking awards please!

I totally agree Soda! What WAS that bit with Liza Minelli?? And I just saw her say on Nightline that she doesn't do comedy that makes fun of someone to hurt them.

And I've been watching the whole show and I've been what's going on?!

sodascouts
03-03-2014, 01:04 AM
I had no idea there was also a director named Steve McQueen. A bit jarring when his name was called.

Anyway, congrats to 12 Years a Slave!

MaryCalifornia
03-03-2014, 02:47 AM
I am so immature that my favorite takeaway form the night was John Travolta butchering Idina Menzel's name (well, not butchering, he said a completely different name), and then reading the Tweets about it.

https://twitter.com/search?q=John%20Travolta&src=typd

I cannot stop laughing. One of my favorites is someone who said, "I want to put my name through the John Travolta name generator." And then somebody made a twitter account from Adele Dazeem (which is the name he said) and she refers to him as Travis Jarvolta. http://perezhilton.com/2014-03-03-adele-dazeem-twitter-real-idina-menzel-john-travolta-mess-up#sthash.V2hFLQlg.dpbs

Super immature.

Brooklyn Roads
03-03-2014, 03:08 AM
Wow, how sad is this: of all the movies nominated for various awards, the only ones I've seen are American Hustle, Saving Mr. Banks (nominated for best score), Star Trek: Into Darkness, and Iron Man 3 (the last two were nominated for special effects). Unfortunately, I hated American Hustle. Therefore, I'm rooting for any other movie than that one to win!

Don't feel so bad - I only saw "Gravity" and "12 Years a Slave" I was rooting for "12 Years a Slave," though. Wonderful and heartbreaking movie, but so thankful he survived to tell his story!

"Gravity" was also really worthy of Best Picture; but "12 Years a Slave" really just blew my socks off!!

Man, my childhood crush Harrison Ford sounded like he was hitting the bottle before the show. What's happened to Han?

Harrison Ford was also my childhood crush!! Still love him, but he does talk with a slur more lately, not sure what is up with that!

The lady singing was sweet, but went on a bit long. Still, the movie 20 Feet from Stardom sounds interesting for music fans like us.

The lady singing was the wonderful Darlene Love :)

Brooklyn Roads
03-03-2014, 03:15 AM
I am so immature that my favorite takeaway form the night was John Travolta butchering Idina Menzel's name (well, not butchering, he said a completely different name), and then reading the Tweets about it.

I cannot stop laughing. One of my favorites is someone who said, "I want to put my name through the John Travolta name generator." And then somebody made a twitter account from Adele Dazeem (which is the name he said) and she refers to him as Travis Jarvolta. http://perezhilton.com/2014-03-03-adele-dazeem-twitter-real-idina-menzel-john-travolta-mess-up#sthash.V2hFLQlg.dpbs

Super immature.

I was doing the same thing. I was like, "What did he just say?" "Is this a new singer?" lol

People on Tumblr are having all kinds of fun with this... I love John Travolta, so he can get away with it! :thumbsup:

sodascouts
03-03-2014, 09:39 AM
I don't think it's immature to get a chuckle out of those tweets - I know I am!

NYC Fan
03-03-2014, 02:00 PM
I laughed and laughed too. I was stunned when he said Adele Dazeem. I expected the usual "eyedina" mispronunciation, but that was something else. The tweets, especially from some of the Broadway people, are so funny. I suppose it can only be good for Ms. Adele Dazeem to have all this attention as her new musical opens on Broadway.

Loved that 20 Feet From Stardom won. What a great documentary that was. Too bad Darlene Love's mic was not set for her to sing into it. It was so buzzy.

I need to see 12 Years a Slave. It seems very hard to watch, but I've heard it is amazing. I loved Philomena, really liked American Hustle, thought Her was quirky, but really well done, and wish I liked Inside Llewyn Davis as much as I wanted to.

Great year for films though...

Y

Super immature.

Brooke
03-03-2014, 04:37 PM
I managed to get through about an hour of it, so I missed JT's part. Too bad! lol I basically watch to see the stars and the dresses.

What about Kim Novak? I don't really know a thing about her other than recognized her name. Perfect example of too many face lifts! She could barely talk either! :fear:

I also thought Jared Leto and Matthew McConaughey's acceptance speeches were really good and heartfelt.

Oh yeah, I haven't seen any of the movies! :roll:

sodascouts
03-03-2014, 04:48 PM
Kim Novak had such difficulty talking I thought she was ill or drunk. I'm not trying to be snarky when I say that apparently all those operations to paralyze your face muscles in an effort to get rid of wrinkles affect the muscles that help you shape your mouth to talk as well.

Poor thing. To feel the need to do this at her age says a lot about the pressures on women who were once sex symbols to somehow still look young even when in their 80s.

http://hollywoodlife.com/2014/03/03/kim-novak-academy-awards-hair-makeup-oscars-red-carpet-2014/

Brooke
03-03-2014, 05:29 PM
Oh my, she's 81 years old! I also thought she was drunk or something. Matthew M kept trying to hold her arm as if to keep her from falling. She was a disaster! What a shame.

Freypower
03-03-2014, 06:13 PM
I should congratulate Australia's Cate Blanchett. I had the privilege of seeing her in Hedda Gabler some years ago. Now she has a Supporting Oscar & a Best Actress Oscar. However the Sydney Morning Herald tried to imply that she is now in the same class as people like Bette Davis & Elizabeth Taylor. They won two Best Actress Oscars. She has one of each so in my view she is not up there with them yet.

DJ
03-03-2014, 06:33 PM
I saw Dallas Buyers Club and let me tell you it was terrific! Jared Leto was superb in it. It is very poignant and Ron Woodroof faught very hard to not only save his own life but the lives of other people he had never even meet before.
I highly reccomend this film, especially to teens and young adults who don't know all the facts about AIDS/HIV. We as a nation have become very complacent with this disease over the years, I feel anyway. It's time to shed some light on how awful it is and how many people suffered and died because of it. I saw an interview with Matthew M. on the Queen Latifah show and he said it took 20 years for this script to be brought to the screen. I saw it's about time..

MaryCalifornia
03-03-2014, 07:12 PM
According to the interwebs, Kim Novak sustained nerve/neurological damage from a bad fall from a horse several years ago. To me she sounded like she had had a stroke, so I wasn't surprised to hear there was something going on other than being under the influence or botox-frozen. Despite all of the obvious cosmetic procedures on her face, she has the same eyes, cheeks, and lips she had in the '60s. It's weird. Her face looked very painful. I hope she enjoyed the night, I'm sure it was scary for her to go out there.

sodascouts
03-04-2014, 02:46 AM
I'm sorry to hear of Novak's troubles. I hope that she is able to recover.

On a lighter note, DonFan posted this link to a "John Travolta Name Generator" on Facebook. Type in your name to see what "Travolta" comes up with:
http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/low_concept/2014/03/john_travolta_called_idina_menzel_adele_dazeem_wha t_s_your_travolta_name.html

Mine is "Nina Jernes."

And the Eagles (past and present) would be:
Glen Florzes
Dan Heenry
Tommy Boofd Smoith
Jude Whayte
Brodie Lopeez
Raymond Marsheem
Dan Feesher

Brooklyn Roads
03-04-2014, 03:52 AM
According to the interwebs, Kim Novak sustained nerve/neurological damage from a bad fall from a horse several years ago. To me she sounded like she had had a stroke, so I wasn't surprised to hear there was something going on other than being under the influence or botox-frozen. Despite all of the obvious cosmetic procedures on her face, she has the same eyes, cheeks, and lips she had in the '60s. It's weird. Her face looked very painful. I hope she enjoyed the night, I'm sure it was scary for her to go out there.

She seemed very grateful to be there. I am glad they brought her to the world's attention; maybe not in the most positive way due to her appearance and speech, but she was a great beauty at her peak. I will always love her role in "Vertigo" Very haunting!

http://www.meredy.com/novak02.jpg

Brooke
03-05-2014, 02:44 PM
I'm sorry to hear about her fall. I guess I shouldn't be so quick to judge without all the facts. Poor thing.

Thanks for the above photo BR. She was very beautiful.

MaryCalifornia
03-05-2014, 03:10 PM
I'm sorry to hear of Novak's troubles. I hope that she is able to recover.

On a lighter note, DonFan posted this link to a "John Travolta Name Generator" on Facebook. Type in your name to see what "Travolta" comes up with:
http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/low_concept/2014/03/john_travolta_called_idina_menzel_adele_dazeem_wha t_s_your_travolta_name.html

Mine is "Nina Jernes."

And the Eagles (past and present) would be:
Glen Florzes
Dan Heenry
Tommy Boofd Smoith
Jude Whayte
Brodie Lopeez
Raymond Marsheem
Dan Feesher

OMG Brodie Lopeez, I am dying!! Jude Whayte..hahahha.

Thanks, Nina!

WalshFan88
03-06-2014, 04:57 AM
Ashton Steeveens

LOL!

zeldabjr
03-06-2014, 08:23 AM
I didn't see most of the Oscars...I was watching hockey....but I would have loved to have seen Kim Novak...always have loved her...in Vertigo and Bell, Book, and Candle!...

what's the deal with what John Travolta said?

sodascouts
03-08-2014, 01:45 AM
He mangled the name of a singer pretty badly. Her name is Idina Menzel, but he introduced her as "Adele Dazeem." It's not the first time someone's mispronounced her name, but it's usually just getting a vowel wrong or something - Travolta wasn't even in the same zip code!

MaryCalifornia
03-08-2014, 05:28 PM
Yeah, what Soda said...it wasn't like he mispronounced it, he said a completely different name. She is a well-known Broadway star, she won a Tony for Wicked, so it was like he didn't even know who she was. This led of course to people on the internet saying he was trying to disprove all of the gay rumors that always swirl around him, because what gay man doesn't know who Idina Menzel is, haha?! Also, he was wearing a questionable hair piece that left him open to meanies even before he flubbed the name. And then people get going on the Scientology thing. His entire time on stage was just...off, and everyone jumped all over him. The Adele Dazeem part was absolutely hilarious, though. The tweets are hilarious.