PDA

View Full Version : 'HI' FROM A LONGTIME EAGLES FAN!

rick endres
03-04-2014, 04:10 PM
Hi – I’m Rick. I’m a long time Eagles fan who was lucky enough to see them in ’71 when they were first testing the waters as a touring band. I live in Cincinnati with my wife Vicki. Saw the guys last night (with our grown son Rick) at U S Bank Arena and witnessed an amazing concert; just incredible.

I work full time at a local publishing firm and am also a part time adjunct instructor at a state community college, teaching English Composition I and II and Technical Writing, and also Astronomy and Earth Sciences.

By avocation I’m a “semi-professional” musician playing solo and in bands. I (and my groups) play lots of Eagles, along with music by Jackson Browne, James Taylor, Crosby, Stills and Nash and Neil Young, Gordon Lightfoot, Fleetwood Mac and the like – all acoustic-oriented stuff. I’ve been playing for 43 years and still play with my first band all these years later. I get out about 6 to 8 times a month and love it.

Here are some pics (I hope!) of that first band through the years. If you get a red "X" in the pic, right-click it and then click on "Show Picture."

The first is from 1971 (I'm the guy with the glasses and muttonchop sideburns!)

http://rosewoodband.webs.com/03.jpg (http://rosewoodband.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=81186637)

...then 1983...

http://rosewoodband.webs.com/10.jpg (http://rosewoodband.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=81186634)

...then today. I've used that same guitar for 43 years. It has held up better than its owner! :nahnah:

http://www.freewebs.com/rosewoodband/20.jpg

bluefeather
03-04-2014, 04:24 PM
WOW COOL to have you Rick!

rick endres
03-04-2014, 05:04 PM
Thanks - looks like a great place.

VAisForEagleLovers
03-04-2014, 08:05 PM
Hi, Rick! I welcomed you over in the review thread, but here I want to mention that the story about meeting Don is extremely cool!

sodascouts
03-04-2014, 08:18 PM
Welcome Rick! I'm a professor of writing as well. Glad to have you!

rick endres
03-04-2014, 09:03 PM
Thanks, everyone. This is a cool place!

WalshFan88
03-04-2014, 09:34 PM
Welcome from a fellow guitarist!

rick endres
03-04-2014, 09:49 PM
Always a treat to meet a fellow picker!

Islander canuck
03-05-2014, 12:01 AM
Welcome cool pictures!!:)

rick endres
03-05-2014, 12:10 AM
Thanks!

Witchy Woman
03-05-2014, 12:57 AM
Welcome, Rick !!

zeldabjr
03-05-2014, 01:21 AM
Hi Rick and welcome to the Border...I think it's cool that you got to see the Eagles in their infancy...very jealous!!...Hope you enjoy it here!!

Houston Baby
03-05-2014, 07:13 AM
I welcomed you Rick in the concert review thread but to make it " official"......

WELCOME RICK!!!

Glad to have you amongst us fellow EAGLES fans! Jump right in & have fun!
And I said in the other thread I LOVE your '71 story! Too cool!:thumbsup:

UndertheWire
03-05-2014, 08:50 AM
Welcome! I liked seeing the pictures through the years. It's amazing that the three of you are still playing together.

rick endres
03-05-2014, 11:01 AM
Thanks, Witchy Woman, zeldabjr, Houston Baby, and UndertheWire. Everyone's been so friendly!

Yeah - Jody (the bearded guy) and I actually started playing in the summer of 1969 as a duo, fueled by our love of the sound of Crosby, Stills and Nash and the whole Woodstock vibe. But there were just two of us; we wanted to be CSN, but we were more like Loggins & Messina (or Longbranch Pennywhistle). It took us a couple of years to find that 3rd voice. Lots of people who are really good singers can't sing harmony at gunpoint. Jody and I were both working at a local department store part time to finance our college educations (you could actually DO that in those days!). We were in the break room lamenting that we were having so much trouble finding that third singer when a little voice said, "I can sing. I can play piano and some guitar, too." It was a cute little blonde girl with wire rimmed glasses who looked to be about 16 (she was actually 17). We thought, "Why not?" Turns out Laura had an incredible voice and, like us, was a natural harmony singer. The blend of the voices was magic, and Rosewood took off from there.

Part of the longevity is that we all get along so well and like the same kinds of music. We've also branched out over the years; from 1983 to 1996, Jody and I also played in a group called Wooden Nickel, with John Murphy, an incredible guitar player and singer. We were sort of like an acoustic Eagles. Then John moved to Conway, Arkansas, which was a bit far to go for practice! :nahnah: We still get together and do reunion concerts when John comes back to town.

Laura and I have also been playing with Cindy Dunaway in a band called Runnin' On Empty from 1996 to the present (sort of a Fleetwood Mac flavored group - but we do lots of Eagles and other stuff). But the mothership is still Rosewood.

Is there a place here where you can post mp3s? I could put a couple up so you could hear what we sound like.

Brooke
03-05-2014, 11:01 AM
An official welcome here from me, too, Rick! Absolutely love your cool story from back in the day!

Love the pictures too! That's pretty cool that you all are still together!

rick endres
03-05-2014, 11:34 AM
Thanks, Brooke. Yeah, we've actually been around as long as the boys, although with a much lesser degree of success - lol! :) Still, we have fun. In the end, that's what matters.

Sprout
03-05-2014, 07:15 PM
Hello fellow newbie 😊
Hope you enjoy it here!! :wave:

sodascouts
03-05-2014, 09:49 PM
Is there a place here where you can post mp3s? I could put a couple up so you could hear what we sound like.
You can't upload mp3s to the board, but you can upload them to a free site and link to it. I'd love to have a listen!

rick endres
03-06-2014, 01:15 AM
Like net.com? That's where the mp3s are posted. I may try that tomorrow.

Brooklyn Roads
03-06-2014, 02:17 AM
So nice to meet you, Rick! Those are really neat pictures!! I am new here, too, but I am really liking it! A great group of people :thumbsup:

rick endres
03-06-2014, 09:22 AM
Thanks, Brooklyn - and welcome to you, too! Nice avatar pic, by the way...

Oops - I meant my mp3s are on www.box.com (http://www.box.com) - I haven't caught up on my sleep yet from the Eagles concert Monday night! :-?

irga
03-07-2014, 08:21 AM
Welcome from Poland, Rick! I joined this fantastic place last month and certainly do not regret it ;-) Lots of great people, information, insights and photos. I'll be certainly listening to your music on box.com, as soon as I remember my login there... ;-)

rick endres
03-07-2014, 09:26 AM
Thanks for the welcome, irga. This is a great place.

BTW - if you want to hear my songs, you don't need to remember your box.com log in. Just go to this thread:

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5011

There are links to each song on that thread.

Thanks again.

rick endres
03-07-2014, 05:38 PM
Nice to meet someone from "Back in the day!"

tjh532
03-09-2014, 11:22 AM
Welcome Rick! I just listened to your links over in the other thread - they were great. You are very talented! Thanks for sharing them with us :)

rick endres
03-10-2014, 11:27 PM
Thanks, tjh532. Much appreciated!