PDA

View Full Version : Glenn's Women?

Zanny Kingston
03-23-2014, 09:24 PM
I did not see this topic when looking through the older topics in the Glenn Fey threads. I know Glenn has been married for a long time now - but I was curious to know if he was known to date a lot before he got married?

I know he was married once before,( plaintiff) and there was a picture of him in the Documentary with a blonde woman but beyond that, I cant recall ever hearing about him dating which I find a bit curious as he is pretty well known guy.

My apologies in advance if this has been discussed previously.

sodascouts
03-24-2014, 12:26 AM
You know, I'm sure he dated quite a bit, but you never seem to hear about it! Maybe he largely avoided dating famous people, so it didn't get press. Here are the ones I know (I'm not including anybody who dated him before he was famous):

Confirmed:
Joan Silwin (c. 1968 )
Eve Babitz (c. 1969-1970)
Joni Mitchell (c. 1973-1974)
Lynn Schiller (c. 1974-1975)
Janie Beggs (c. 1978-1986; married from 1983-1986)
Cindy Millican (c. 1988-present; married since 1990)

Rumored:
Connie Chung

Denied:
Nancy and Ann Wilson
Lorelei Shellist

sodascouts
03-24-2014, 12:27 AM
I have a wretched memory, so someone correct me if I've gotten any details wrong or left out anyone.

GlennLover
03-24-2014, 08:12 AM
I did not see this topic when looking through the older topics in the Glenn Fey threads. I know Glenn has been married for a long time now - but I was curious to know if he was known to date a lot before he got married?

I know he was married once before,( plaintiff) and there was a picture of him in the Documentary with a blonde woman but beyond that, I cant recall ever hearing about him dating which I find a bit curious as he is pretty well known guy.

My apologies in advance if this has been discussed previously.

In case you were wondering, the the blond woman with him in the doc is Lynn Schiller.

Houston Baby
03-24-2014, 10:43 AM
I have a wretched memory, so someone correct me if I've gotten any details wrong or left out anyone.

Those were the only names I could come up with Soda. Good job on the dates! :thumbsup:

shunlvswx
03-24-2014, 11:26 AM
Didn't Lorelei Shellist dated Don?

Freypower
03-24-2014, 04:29 PM
I always have thought it is a tribute to Glenn that he has kept his private life private for the most part. There is only one other name that I once heard, which I don't know is true, which was newsreader Connie Chung, and I don't know what timeframe that was.

Houston Baby
03-24-2014, 05:17 PM
I always have thought it is a tribute to Glenn that he has kept his private life private for the most part.

I've thought that too FP.

sodascouts
03-24-2014, 06:59 PM
Didn't Lorelei Shellist dated Don?

Yes. In her book Runway Runaway, she says that about six years after she and Don broke up, she had a chance meeting with Glenn in Japan of all places. After they spent a while catching up with each other over drinks, he invited her up to his room. She declined. As she puts it in her book, "I had totally sworn off men" (142). lol

There is only one other name that I once heard, which I don't know is true, which was newsreader Connie Chung, and I don't know what timeframe that was.

Oh - I hadn't heard this! I'll add it as "rumored."

sodascouts
03-24-2014, 07:57 PM
So I pulled out Marc Eliot's book To The Limit to see if it said any more that I'd just forgotten, and Eliot claims Glenn met and pursued Janie as early as 1975, then became her boyfriend in 1976. That doesn't really mesh with what was said in the History of the Eagles documentary about a lack of long-term relationships, though, and Eliot has been known to have inaccuracies, as has been discussed elsewhere. One I just spotted flipping through was Eliot claiming "Best of My Love" was a vocal showcase for Glenn. Oops. He also spells her name "Janey."

Zanny Kingston
03-24-2014, 08:25 PM
When I saw Joni Mitchell's name on Soda's list above (thank you for that), I just remembered something from the Columbus OH show earlier in the month. Glenn had mentioned that Joni Mitchell had taught him some guitar technique- interesting.

UndertheWire
04-12-2014, 06:19 PM
Glenn is included in a list of Eve Babitz's conquests, which probably isn't too big a surprise as she used to hang around with that crowd.

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2014/03/eve-babitz-los-angeles-party-scene#

Most relevant bit in that piece is

But a crucial difference—one of many—between Eve and Edie is that Eve was bedding these guys before they’d made it. And it’s not star f***ing if they aren’t stars yet, is it? As Steve Martin, then a young banjo-playing comic and Troubadour regular, explained, “Nobody was famous yet. Eve knew who the talented ones were.”

There's a line in one of her books:

I used to just live at a place somewhat like this, the Troubadour Bar, back in the days when I was a twenty-five-year-old groupie, trying to get into Glenn Frey's life.
That would have been around 1969-1970.

Glennsallnighter
04-12-2014, 06:32 PM
I'm a 46 year old groupie STILL trying to get into Glenn :heart: Frey's life!!! Lol.

DJ
04-12-2014, 09:15 PM
I'd like in his life for maybe a weekend....Say at a nice resort....

Ive always been a dreamer
04-13-2014, 12:59 PM
I'm a 46 year old groupie STILL trying to get into Glenn :heart: Frey's life!!! Lol.

Too funny, GA!

I can't think of any other confirmed romances in Glenn's life either, especially after he became famous. However, I'll mention a few other ladies that he has been tied to.

Of course, Glenn has said one of the reasons he wanted to come to L.A. was to follow his then girlfriend, Joan Sliwin. Joan was in a group with her sisters and friends called The Honey Ltd. JD Souther was dating, and then briefly married to Joan' sister, Alex, and this is how Glenn and JD met.

Another lady that comes to mind is James Taylor's sister, Kate. Allegedly, Glenn wrote the song Get Up, Kate for/about her, but I don't know if they were romantically involved. But back in the early 70's, what do you think the odds might have been? :wink:

Then, last of all, there is Cher who has confirmed that she once dated one of the Eagles, although she didn't disclose any other details. This is pure speculation on my part, but, I always suspected it was Glenn. Based on what I can figure out, it seems that the most likely time for Cher to hook up with an Eagle would have been around '87-'88. That was a time when both she and Glenn were hanging out in Aspen a lot with the same circle of friends. But, again, I could be totally wrong and any of the other Eagles are certainly possibilities.

Houston Baby
04-13-2014, 07:30 PM
Funny GA!

And I never heard that about Cher Dreamer. Very interesting! The timeline does fit.

I always thought Glenn and Linda R. would have made a very cute couple in the 70's. I agree with Glenn - that darn John David Souther! :laugh:

Zanny Kingston
04-13-2014, 08:37 PM
Too funny, GA!

I can't think of any other confirmed romances in Glenn's life either, especially after he became famous. However, I'll mention a few other ladies that he has been tied to.

Of course, Glenn has said one of the reasons he wanted to come to L.A. was to follow his then girlfriend, Joan Sliwin. Joan was in a group with her sisters and friends called The Honey Ltd. JD Souther was dating, and then briefly married to Joan' sister, Alex, and this is how Glenn and JD met.

Another lady that comes to mind is James Taylor's sister, Kate. Allegedly, Glenn wrote the song Get Up, Kate for/about her, but I don't know if they were romantically involved. But back in the early 70's, what do you think the odds might have been? :wink:

Then, last of all, there is Cher who has confirmed that she once dated one of the Eagles, although she didn't disclose any other details. This is pure speculation on my part, but, I always suspected it was Glenn. Based on what I can figure out, it seems that the most likely time for Cher to hook up with an Eagle would have been around '87-'88. That was a time when both she and Glenn were hanging out in Aspen a lot with the same circle of friends. But, again, I could be totally wrong and any of the other Eagles are certainly possibilities.

Dreamer- I remember reading an article years ago in which Cher did disclose that she dated one of the Eagles and would not say who it was. I thought it was rather strange at the time because In my mind, I categorized Cher as being a lot older than the guys but in fact they are all around the same age, I think Cher has just been in the public eye a lot longer.

In the Henley Heaven thread there was mention of Don dating Cher's half sister and that got me thinking that most likely he was not the Eagle that dated Cher. You may be on target about Glenn Frey - I would never have put those two together but thinking about it- it makes sense!

shunlvswx
04-13-2014, 09:42 PM
The thing is Cher is only a year older than Don, Joe, and Timothy. Now she is 2 years older than Glenn. She does like the younger men. Not someone who's 2 or 3 years older than her. More like 20 years maybe lesser, but not someone who's very close to her age.

If Glenn did date Cher, he had to date her after his divorce in 1986 and before he met Cindy in 1988.

MaryCalifornia
04-13-2014, 10:45 PM
The thought of Cher dating Timothy makes me LOL! I don't know why, just can't see that couple happening, and he's been w/Jean straight through since at least '78. It's got to be Glenn. Or Joe. I could definitely see either one of those couples - good times!!

shunlvswx
04-13-2014, 11:25 PM
Or Don. Isn't their some years missing with who he was dating.

Joe was married and wasn't he having an affair with Stevie around that time too or that was already over.

I was just comparing the guys ages with Cher's age not necessary said they dated her.

GlennLover
04-14-2014, 07:31 AM
Just an FYI, according to Wikipedia Cher will be celebrating her 68th birthday on May 20.

04-14-2014, 08:00 PM
The thought of Cher dating Timothy makes me LOL! I don't know why, just can't see that couple happening, and he's been w/Jean straight through since at least '78. It's got to be Glenn. Or Joe. I could definitely see either one of those couples - good times!!

Yeah MC - I also considered that it could have been Joe, but, if the timeline is right, I'm thinking Joe may have been too messed up at that point for Cher to be attracted to him. Of course, I was picking a time when Cher and the Eagle would have unattached. But, knowing how things were back then, there's no guarantee that the parties involved were monogomous if they were in another relationship so who really knows for sure.

VAisForEagleLovers
04-14-2014, 08:46 PM
I was hoping this was a place to sign up to be one...not of list those who already had their turn... :D

Houston Baby
04-14-2014, 11:19 PM
:rofl: You and I are on the same wavelength VA!! I am sure it would be a long, long waiting list!

GoranV
04-15-2014, 04:05 AM
i can help with the waiting list. i know what likes to the women fans of Glenn ... :nod::nod::nod:

sodascouts
04-15-2014, 07:29 AM
Thanks for the info, UTW. I've added Eve Babitz to our list of "confirmed."

GoranV
04-15-2014, 08:10 AM
i do not want create controversy but what a woman says is not always the true... and we do not have the version of the other side of the bed... (glenn):pimp:

sodascouts
04-15-2014, 08:15 AM
I see your point, Goran. Maybe I should make a special category for Eve as someone who claims she's "had" Glenn, but he's never confirmed it? What to call that? Hmmm.

GoranV
04-15-2014, 08:44 AM
I see your point, Goran. Maybe I should make a special category for Eve as someone who claims she's "had" Glenn, but he's never confirmed it? What to call that? Hmmm.

i don't know the word for tha... very poor english language. "aспиранте" in serbian.

a wannabe glenn lover? perhaps.

i did not want to say that all women lies... :blush: apologize sodascouts, i know you're a woman.

Thirsty&Hot
04-20-2014, 02:14 PM
I know that in the David Geffen documentary, Inventing David Geffen, they talked about how Cher dated David when he was dabbling in women...or woman...not sure if he dated any other women haha. he just fell for her.

not sure about Cher dating any of the Eagles though...

JackS1967
04-23-2016, 01:57 PM
Does anyone know if Lynn went to Dondero High School in Royal Oaks? I read somewhere that she did. I also remember that she was involved with Glenn in high school. He would have been a senior and she a Freshman or Sophmore. Does anyone know when she went to Germany for a year? I believe when she was in high school.

Also, Lorelei Shellist claimed to be best friends with Lynn at age 16. Did Lorelei go to Dondero? She has a picture of her and Lynn in mid 70's at Glenn and Lynn's place.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

JackS1967
04-23-2016, 04:37 PM
Nobody mentioned Joan Sliwin. He apparently followed her out to LA

buffyfan145
04-23-2016, 05:00 PM
Hadn't seen this thread till know. We do know now his first girlfriend's name was Nanci Kezlarian after an interview she did with other friends Glenn had from high school (it's in the "Remembering" thread). They were only 14 but stayed friends all the way till he passed. I still find that amazing he performed "Take it Easy" at her house before it was released as a single when he was back visiting his family and friends in 71/72.

04-24-2016, 01:37 AM
Welcome Jack. Actually, Joan Silwin is mentioned in several posts in this thread, as well as, several other threads in this forum.

Regarding your other post, I assume you are talking about Lynn Schiller (aka Lynn Theel). She was born in Detroit, so it's definitely possible that she attended Dondero. I have a couple of yearbooks from Glenn's high school years. When I get some time, I'll have to check them out and see if she is in them.

IIRC correctly from her book, I think Lorelei was born and grew up in California. She and Lynn were friends when she was 16, but Lynn was older.

UndertheWire
04-24-2016, 08:11 AM
Lynn Schiller's birthdate is given as March 1951, so she'd have been about 24 at the time, 2-3 years younger than Glenn.

Lynn Schiller has a cold. Sniffles, sore throat, headache, the whole routine. She has had it ever since she took that boat ride to Catalina Island a little while ago, underestimating the chill sea wind. To Lynn, having a cold is more than just a pain in the head, for it keeps her from doing the things she likes to do; namely, swimming, acting, dancing and singing. She is adept at all those activities, especially acting and singing. In high school and college, she sang with school bands, and during a year in Germany, she and a small combo entertained at several Army bases.
She plays the guitar now and is learning piano. Her voice is high, with the lilting quality of a Joni Mitchell, and she is beginning to write her own songs - ballads, mostly, with a touch of country. When she is not singing, she takes acting lessons or ad-libs comic skits with the Ace Trucking Company, an improvisational troupe. She has just graduated from the famous Lee Strasberg Theatrical Institute and hopes to land a decent part in a movie soon. A musical would be perfect. Meantime, between dates with her boyfriend, Glenn Frey, currently of the rock group Eagles, Lynn is doing a little modeling (in Playboy’s May feature “T” Formations, she is the model with the roller skates and the hose) and taking modern-dance lessons.
And when she is not doing any of those, chances are you’ll find her out swimming, surfing, horseback riding or playing tennis or baseball. Baseball!? “I grew up with three brothers,” she says, “and learned to play all the sports little boys play.” She describes herself as perky, flirtatious and occasionally aggressive (“When I know what I want, I go after it”). Generally speaking, she’s extremely active; but what with this cold, she’s stuck indoors, in bed. But then again, there’s a whole lot a person can do indoors, in bed.https://www.playboy.com/galleries/playmates-1975-7-lynn-schiller-0/slide-1

Dawn
04-24-2016, 11:30 AM
Welcome Jack. Actually, Joan Silwin is mentioned in several posts in this thread, as well as, several other threads in this forum.

Regarding your other post, I assume you are talking about Lynn Schiller (aka Lynn Theel). She was born in Detroit, so it's definitely possible that she attended Dondero. I have a couple of yearbooks from Glenn's high school years. When I get some time, I'll have to check them out and see if she is in them.

IIRC correctly from her book, I think Lorelei was born and grew up in California. She and Lynn were friends when she was 16, but Lynn was older.

This book excerpt might help - her family lived in Pacific Palisades when she was born

https://books.google.com/books?id=vy-SxWwQa0gC&pg=PA7&lpg=PA7&dq=Lynn+Schiller&source=bl&ots=xxZGLiZFqt&sig=YMkbUr5YdojxtCdeIJq2PaSNj-c&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjToaW4z6XMAhUU1GMKHV4KDJE4ChDoAQg6MAY#v =onepage&q=Lynn%20Schiller&f=false

JackS1967
04-24-2016, 02:52 PM

Dreamer,
I appreciate the information. Lynn would have been the class of 1969. Glenn was class of 1966 even though his birthday was so late in the year. I guess they didn't have cutoff like they do today.

I am very curious when she apparently went to Germany for a year. Playboy implies high school/college which doesn't make sense. Why would a 16 year old disrupt her high school to go abroad for a year to play in a band? There are reasons why I am digging into this.

JackS1967
04-24-2016, 02:56 PM
So Lorelei was 16 and Lynn was 23. It seems odd that a 16 year old has a best friend who is 23. That's the math based on 1974.

UndertheWire
04-24-2016, 05:27 PM
Jack, I think they became friends because they were dating Don and Glenn who were still close at that time. When the band went on the road, Don got Lorelei to move into Glenn's house with Lynn so they would be company for each other.

JackS1967
04-24-2016, 06:21 PM
Jack, I think they became friends because they were dating Don and Glenn who were still close at that time. When the band went on the road, Don got Lorelei to move into Glenn's house with Lynn so they would be company for each other.

So Don was dating Lorelei when she was 16? Remember, Lorelei states in her book and on her Facebook page that she was best friends with Lynn when she was 16.

JackS1967
04-24-2016, 06:24 PM
So Don was dating Lorelei when she was 16? Remember, Lorelei states in her book and on her Facebook page that she was best friends with Lynn when she was 16.

I appreciate everyone's help here. Any further info on Lynn regarding high school, supposed trip to Germany and any connection with Glenn in high school would be of tremendous value to me.

I read somewhere that they actually dated (maybe briefly) in high school. Glenn would have been a senior and Lynn a freshman.

Thank you all for your help.
Jack

UndertheWire
04-24-2016, 06:38 PM
Yes. In her book she says she was 16 when dating Don. She says that Glenn and Lynn met at a dinner party in LA. You can scroll through quite a lot of the book using the link someone posted earlier today or yesterday.
I'm sorry, that's all I can find.

jms18222
04-24-2016, 07:55 PM

16....geeze how old was he? YIKES!

Dawn
04-24-2016, 08:57 PM
16....geeze how old was he? YIKES!

I am not exactly sure (26?) but she discusses her relationship with Henley in detail in this book excerpt - it jumps around a bit you have to read thru to the end

https://books.google.com/books?id=vy-SxWwQa0gC&pg=PA7&lpg=PA7&dq=Lynn+Schiller&source=bl&ots=xxZGLiZFqt&sig=YMkbUr5YdojxtCdeIJq2PaSNj-c&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjToaW4z6XMAhUU1GMKHV4KDJE4ChDoAQg6MAY#v =onepage&q=Lynn%20Schiller&f=false

04-24-2016, 10:11 PM
Well - Remember our guys were 'teen kings' back in the day. :wink: :grin:

One thing to keep in mind is that attitudes were very different back then so it really wasn't considered that unusual, especially for rock stars, to date very young girls/women. Many people, including my own mother, were married with children by the time they were 18 years old (and some even younger). The majority of marriages back then occurred before the couple were 25. Check out this graph ...

https://www.census.gov/hhes/socdemo/marriage/data/acs/ElliottetalPAA2012figs.pdf

Dawn
04-24-2016, 10:51 PM
IIRC Beach Boys founder Brian Wilson began dating his first wife Marilyn when she was 15. They got married when she was 16.

CA has a marital exception to statutory rape law(s).

UndertheWire
04-25-2016, 03:38 AM
Well - Remember our guys were 'teen kings' back in the day. :wink: :grin:

One thing to keep in mind is that attitudes were very different back then so it really wasn't considered that unusual, especially for rock stars, to date very young girls/women. Many people, including my own mother, were married with children by the time they were 18 years old (and some even younger). The majority of marriages back then occurred before the couple were 25. Check out this graph ...

https://www.census.gov/hhes/socdemo/marriage/data/acs/ElliottetalPAA2012figs.pdf
Thanks for that perspective. I know my first reaction was "16?!" But then I thought of my parents who started dating when my mother was 16 and father 28 and although a big age gap, no one thought it unnatural.

jms18222
04-25-2016, 11:41 AM
Wonder whether he would feel that way if a 26 year old wanted to date his 16 year old daughter.

My grandmother was married at 14, had 2 children & was a widow by 19. Think she married my grandfather when she was 21, he was a 22 year old widower with 2 kids. Then went on to have 9 more kids but I never met my grandfather. He died 10 years before I was born.

Brooke
04-25-2016, 11:57 AM
Yes, things are very different today! My mom was 16 when she married my dad who was 22. They had 5 kids and managed to stay together for 61 years till my dad died.

I got married in 74 and was 2 weeks shy of my 18th birthday. My hubby was 18. We each had to have a parent sign for our marriage license! We've managed 41 years now. Lots of ups and downs, but hanging!

Anyways, those ages are looked at a lot differently today! Funny how time changes things!

Dawn
04-25-2016, 12:28 PM
On the question of how Don might feel about a 26 year old man dating his 16yr old daughter: Personally I would imagine both he and his wife would have major concerns - 10 years is a considerable age difference - certainly well outside the close-in-age exception some states allow incl Texas I believe.

shunlvswx
04-25-2016, 12:36 PM
Isn't Sharon like 12 or 13 years younger than Don?

Well when you think of it. None of the guys wives are close to their ages. Their either between 5 to 12 years apart.

Didn't Don get in trouble in 1980 for having an underage girl in his house. Its funny how time change from when Don dated Lorelei in the 70s to the incident in 1980.

UndertheWire
04-25-2016, 01:26 PM
I don't think there was a big change from 1975 to 1980, just that the law was involved in 1980 and not 1975. Lorelei said that Irving Azoff advised Don to end their relationship because she was jailbait and her parents could have him arrested.

NightMistBlue
04-25-2016, 01:32 PM
Lynn Schiller's birthdate is given as March 1951, so she'd have been about 24 at the time, 2-3 years younger than Glenn.
https://www.playboy.com/galleries/playmates-1975-7-lynn-schiller-0/slide-1

Is it link safe to click that link at work? I don't wanna get fired. :shy:

If Lynn is that blond woman that Glenn was briefly photographed with in the 70s, she was gorgeous.

UndertheWire
04-25-2016, 01:42 PM
Is it link safe to click that link at work? I don't wanna get fired. :shy:

If Lynn is that blond woman that Glenn was briefly photographed with in the 70s, she was gorgeous.
Nothing worse than a belly-button when I clicked on it but you never know. I think you may have to sign in for anything more racy but I didn't try. She was the blond who was shown with Glenn in the documentary at the point where he said they tried to have relationships.

NightMistBlue
04-25-2016, 02:27 PM
Thank you. It took too long to load and I got nervous and bailed out. Maybe I'll try again later. Maybe not though, I feel like a creep already. :)

jms18222
04-25-2016, 03:04 PM
When I was 17 my parents wouldn't allow me to date a guy who was 20. Mom's view was if he wasn't in high school with me he was too old! I laugh at her reasoning but she was tough, tougher than my dad.

Didn't Cali have age of consent laws back then? Ok I just realized she was my age at the time. I doubt I would have been interested in a 26 year old even if he was Don Henley. I don't think I would have any common ground with a guy that much older wayyy back then.

Shun, IMHO there is a huge difference when someone is in their teens to their being in their 30's with a large age gap. Then again this is my feelings & I wouldn't dream of imposing those on anybody.

jms18222
04-25-2016, 03:09 PM
I don't think there was a big change from 1975 to 1980, just that the law was involved in 1980 and not 1975. Lorelei said that Irving Azoff advised Don to end their relationship because she was jailbait and her parents could have him arrested.

Wasn't that because there was a raid and drugs were found in the house? IDK nor do I really want to dig up old Dirty Laundry.

Well off to physical therapy.

NightMistBlue
04-26-2016, 09:23 AM
The identity of the woman with whom Glenn lived in New Mexico was never revealed was it? I think he lived with her for a couple of years in the mid-70s, not sure.

UndertheWire
04-26-2016, 10:40 AM
I thought that was his first wife.

Freypower
04-26-2016, 06:27 PM
I thought that was his first wife.

It was; Janie Beggs.

JackS1967
04-29-2016, 01:46 PM
Dreamer,
I appreciate the information. Lynn would have been the class of 1969. Glenn was class of 1966 even though his birthday was so late in the year. I guess they didn't have cutoff like they do today.

I am very curious when she apparently went to Germany for a year. Playboy implies high school/college which doesn't make sense. Why would a 16 year old disrupt her high school to go abroad for a year to play in a band? There are reasons why I am digging into this.

Dreamer,
Any luck on finding Lynn Theel in the Dondero 1969 or 1970 yearbook? Again, I appreciate any info on this as its a important to me. Happy Friday everyone!