PDA

View Full Version : Eric Clapton

EasyFeeling
08-23-2007, 01:50 PM
I didn't know where to post it so I put up a new thread.

I need help. I've just heard a song on the radio and I'm almost sure it was Eric Clapton. I know only one song line: You know I need a friend...

I love this song and want to download it but I don't know the title. Anyone?

EasyFeeling
08-23-2007, 02:23 PM
This is funny... I looked in the internet for this phrase and this is the first what came up: 8)

http://seek.sing365.com:8080/cgi-bin/s.cgi?q=You+know+I+need+a+friend&fm=off&gr=off

It's not what I was looking for this time. :wink:

glenneaglesfan
08-24-2007, 03:31 PM
EF, I took my two Eric Clapton cds in to work today. One didn't work - it kept jumping, but the other worked ok, but I'm afraid I didn't get that lyric. More research needed!

sodascouts
08-24-2007, 04:00 PM
lol, EF. I'm afraid I don't know what that song could be.

EasyFeeling
08-25-2007, 10:52 AM
Thanks for your effort, GEF. I know these few words are not very helpful to find this song. :roll:
The only thing I know is it's not an old song and after he sings these words the chorus sings oooooohoooohooooo. Does that help? :twisted:

tbs fanatic
08-25-2007, 12:20 PM
You know EF - you have driven me nuts with this question. I keep trying to figure the answer out - aaaaaaah!

EasyFeeling
08-25-2007, 12:55 PM
Ah, every time I see a new post here I think someone got it.
Jep TBS, I know how to keep people busy. :D :wink: It's not a ballad and not rocking, it has a beautiful melody, very catchy.

I got it, yay. :D The song is called Say What You Will. I just looked it up on the website on the radio station. Now, why didn't I think of that? :roll:

Can't find it as a download. :( GEF, do you have the song?

glenneaglesfan
08-26-2007, 09:06 AM
EF, I'm glad you have identified it. I don't have that on either of my cds, sorry. It sounds like a very cool track. I'll look out for it. 8)

EasyFeeling
08-26-2007, 09:43 AM
I found it but had to download the full album (Back Home). The song is on it's way to you :wink:

glenneaglesfan
08-26-2007, 10:07 AM
Cool! Thanks! :D

EasyFeeling
08-26-2007, 10:43 AM
You're welcome. :) Let me know if you like it or not. BTW, what do you think of the new song from James Blunt 1973? Have you already heard it? I really love this song. 8)

tbs fanatic
08-26-2007, 08:49 PM
Okay, now I can sleep at night :wink: :D

MikeA
10-23-2008, 03:27 PM
Spotted this on Pollstar. Clapton does put on an Ed Sullivan (Really Good Shew) Wish he'd tour the States. I've only caught him once back in 2004 I think at Crossroads in Dallas.

Artist Updates

Eric Clapton (http://www.pollstar.com/tour/searchall.pl?AN=Y&By=Artist&Content=ERICLA&PSKey=Y) (9 updates)
Mon 05/11/09 Dublin, IRE
Wed 05/13/09 Liverpool, UK
Thu 05/14/09 Manchester, UK
Sat 05/16/09 London, UK
Sun 05/17/09 London, UK
Tue 05/19/09 London, UK
Wed 05/20/09 London, UK
Fri 05/22/09 London, UK
Sat 05/23/09 London, UK

Freypower
10-23-2008, 06:56 PM
You know it's funny you posted this. I've just booked to see Eric next March here in Sydney. I've seen him twice before, but that was back in the 80s. I'm surprised you didn't find the Australian dates listed. Like Jackson Browne, he's playing one of these vineyard shows.

Vague Top 10 (including Cream songs):

Layla
Badge
White Room
Crossroads
Promises
Let It Grow
Wonderful Tonight
Strange Brew
Layla (acoustic version. It took a long time to grow on me but I get it now).
Motherless Children

TimothyBFan
10-24-2008, 08:55 AM
Eric Clapton is amazing!! My husband and I's first date was an Eric Clapton concert n Chicago back in 1987 during his tour for his album August. That is when Phil Collins and Greg Phillinganes were touring with him. It was a great show. Hopefully he will make it back to the states this time around. I'd pay good money to go see him again.

ticky
10-24-2008, 10:22 AM
Eric Clapton is amazing!! My husband and I's first date was an Eric Clapton concert n Chicago back in 1987 during his tour for his album August. That is when Phil Collins and Greg Phillinganes were touring with him. It was a great show. Hopefully he will make it back to the states this time around. I'd pay good money to go see him again.

Willie, Wow!! what an amazing concert that would be!! I would love to see Clapton in concert but, again.. ARGH.. not only is he NOT coming to the Pac NW, he's not even coming to the States! (deep breaths, calm calllmm.. happy place happy place.. ooommmmmm...... ...) Im working on my "Lack of concert rage" *G*

Just Another Hired Hand
12-05-2008, 01:04 PM
I saw Eric Clapton at the Borgata, Atlantic City, N.J. on May 25, 2008. He is right there at the top of my list of favorite musical entertainers along with the Eagles. The show was great. It was more "bluesy" than rock which seemed to disappoint some of the audience. The tickets were a gift from my wife. They were in the fourth row, center stage. He seems to be getting better as he gets older.

It was the best Clapton show I have ever seen.

I"ll provide the set list in a future post.

(Joe Walsh was one of his guests his guest for the Crossroads Guitar Festival 2004. He played "Steamroller" along with James Taylor and performed Funk 49 and Rocky Mountain Way.)

MikeA
12-05-2008, 02:34 PM
(Joe Walsh was one of his guests his guest for the Crossroads Guitar Festival 2004. He played "Steamroller" along with James Taylor and performed Funk 49 and Rocky Mountain Way.)

I'm on that DVD from the Cotton Bowl Crossroads when Walsh played RMW. I'm not exactly a featured guest, but I'm shown during the talk-box solo in the crowd. Actually, the boom camera operator was, I think, a bit taken with Melanie, a young lady who dragged me all the way to the front of the stage for Joe's performance! I was behind her.

Find the lady with the green wristband raised up. That's Mel and I'm right behind her white had backwards and sunglasses (forwards!)

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=14&pictureid=288

sodascouts
12-05-2008, 03:14 PM
Very cool!

ticky
12-05-2008, 04:20 PM
*G* Cool!! there you are!! You look a little confused, Mike. *G* Kinna like "I thought this was the line for the mens room.." JUST kidding hehehehehe

MikeA
12-05-2008, 04:39 PM
*G* Cool!! there you are!! You look a little confused, Mike. *G* Kinna like "I thought this was the line for the mens room.." JUST kidding hehehehehe

Confused? Prolly! Brain Melt! It was like 110 to 120 and NO SHADE while walking around on aluminum panels in an arena (the Cottonbowl) where there was no possibility of any wind circulating because of the seating. We survived that day by using squirt bottles of water and battery operated fans given out the day before by several vendors.

I never saw numbers posted of fans carried out on stretchers from heat stroke that day.

Ironically, a massive storm blew in before the scheduled end of the concert. They had huge fabric prints (35 or 40 feet tall and 15 or 20 feet wide) hiding the backstage area at the sides of the stage. The winds that night were ripping those fabric walls to shreads!

As we drove home the next day, I-35 and surrounding areas were flooded. Our windshield wipers quit working. Here we were flying up I-35 heading back to Kansas, hydroplaning (!!) with Verna leaning out the passenger window manually "working" the windshield wipers!

That's Texas for you! The weather gods down there must not like rock concerts!

Clapton Rocked! So did Jimmy Vaughan, John Mayer, Johnny Lang, Steve Vai, Joe Walsh, BB King, Robert Randolf, Buddy Guy, James Taylor, ZZ-Top, and more that I can't even remember off-hand. Unbelievable gig.

Just Another Hired Hand
12-05-2008, 10:39 PM
I was sitting in the best seats you could imagine for a concert. My wife and I were in the 4th row, center stage. Clapton sat down in front of us twice. We got some unbelievable pictures (the camera Nazis were nowhere to be found at the Clapton show. One of his web sites actually encourages attendees to send in their pictures and reviews.The show itself was fantastic. As promised earlier, here is the SET List:

Motherless Children/ Key to the Highway/ Hoochie Coochie Man/ Little Wing/ Outside Woman Blues/ Double Trouble/ Don't Knock My Love/ Drifting/ Rocking Chair*/ Motherless Child/ Travelin' Riverside Blues/ Running on Faith/ Tellthe Truth/ Little Queen of Spades/ Before You Accuse Me/ Wonderful Tonight/ Layla/ Cocaine/ (encore) I Got My MoJo Working (performed with Robert Randolph and the Family Band).

Robert Randolph also performed at Crossroads. He was great at the Borgata. I winder if Mike A saw him in Dallas?

The song "Rocking Chair" was originally recorded by Hoagie Carmichael in 1928. Clapton did a cover but he never recorded it. I can't find it anywhere (so much for putting the concert set list on my ipod). It was fantastic. And of course my wife melted when he did "Wonderful Tonight".

"Tell the Truth" was almost like a repeat from the 461 Ocean Blvd. recording that included the concert from 1974...yes I am a 50 something old head as my son refers to me. I won't do a complete review of the show here, but suffice it to say anyone who likes guitar music as much as I do would have been at "the ultimate show".

I didn't go to concerts for a lot of years because I was saving for my son's education. Since he graduated college last year I'm trying my best to make up for it. Clapton and the Eagles (three times), all in one year! Oh yeah, throw in John Fogarty and Hall and Oates.

MikeA
12-06-2008, 08:29 AM
Okay, you've convinced me JAHH. How is it our friends across the Pond say it? A Clapton concert is in my Bucket! I almost took off and attended a Clapton concert in OK City a few years ago where he was gigging with Robert Randolf but something came up and I couldn't go. Have to rectify that!

To answer your question, Randolf WAS at Crossroads. He has been touring with Clapton for a long time. That guy does things with a steel guitar that you've never heard in Rock...or at least I haven't!

I read somewhere, and it stuck in my head, that Eric Clapton plays all of his fast work on guitar using nothing but Minor Pentatonic Scales. But he KNOWS those scales really well and plays them REALLY FAST. Well why not? That's what Blues is based on!

And Blues is what Clapton has been a disciple of from the beginning. He has given a lot back in tribute to the old masters too!

I've been really working on the Pentatonic Scales a lot lately. Trying to recognize which pattern of which key each fret and string is anywhere on the neck at any time and know which strings and frets are the "root notes" in that key. Sounds easy, but to me it is a challenge that is very difficult. :guitar:

Ive always been a dreamer
12-06-2008, 12:23 PM
Mike - just wanted to butt in here and say how cool it is that you got in on that DVD. I always wondered if those were real people on those things. :D

Just Another Hired Hand
12-06-2008, 12:27 PM
I have seen Clapton one other time, when he toured the U.S. in 2006. At that time he was touring with Robert Cray. They did "Crossroads" as the encore song together. They out did the version Clapton did for the Cream Reunion DVD in 2005.

I strongly urge you to take in a Clapton show the next time he tours the states (and he will). Unlike Joe Walsh, I think he only uses 3 maybe 4 guitars for the entire show. He uses a strat to pick, another one to slide, and his Martin accoustic for the "sit down set". Even thouh he uses super light Music Man strings, his guitar never seems to go out of tune. As an experienced guitar player you will never forget the experience.

Freypower
12-06-2008, 05:52 PM
I will be seeing him here in Sydney next March, the first time since the 80s when I saw him twice.

wsccg
12-06-2008, 07:26 PM
I got to see him in the summer of 04 when he was doing a lot of songs from the Me And Mr. Johnson album and it was an amazing show. He had Robert Randolf opening which also blew me away. He also had Billy Preston playing with him and I am so grateful to be able to have seen him play live. Clapton is definitely one of those artists that just keep getting better - and although he does some fan favorites, he relies on his never ending push to keep his music fresh and new. I like that.

Just Another Hired Hand
12-13-2008, 01:30 AM
You know it's funny you posted this. I've just booked to see Eric next March here in Sydney. I've seen him twice before, but that was back in the 80s. I'm surprised you didn't find the Australian dates listed. Like Jackson Browne, he's playing one of these vineyard shows.

When you see him in Sydney he will probably use a set list similar to the one I saw at his Atlantic City show in May 2008. I have already posted the set list else whare on this site.

He is big into Robert Johnson songs and old blues songs these days. This was fine with me but my wife was a little disappointed...she was expecting some of his more well known work. Clapton is always a great show. The Australian dates are listed at www.whereseric.com (http://www.whereseric.com). If yoour show is 1/2 as good as the one I saw it will be a night to remember.

Troubadour
12-13-2008, 07:25 PM
I saw Eric Clapton at a charity show at the Royal Albert Hall in 2004. He was on with lots of other performers, including Zucchero, Clannad, Brian May, Tori Amos, Paul Young and Pavarotti. He was fantastic. My only complaint was that, due to the amount of performers, his slot was far too brief.

MikeA
12-13-2008, 07:39 PM
He was like that at Crossroads too Troub. He was very considerate of all the other performers. He could so easily have dominated the entire show! The show was mainly the Eric Clapton Show...I mean it was his name and his charity on the bill. But he did not make any attempt to detract any whatsoever from the other performers...even during the big Blues Jam where Clapton, Cray, BB King, Booker T, John Mayer, Jimmy Vaughan and Buddy Guy were all playing taking turns. Clapton tried to stay more in the background and throw the spotlight on Buddy Guy and especially BB King. He really does have utmost respect for the Blues Pioneers and King is well known and respected as being the "Ambassador" of the Blues. He's probably done more than anyone to popularize that musical genre...I'm talking about pure blues...not the morphed type blues that Rock cannibalized (that's not intended as a derogatory statement). Clapton seems to be carrying the torch now along with BB. And God Bless 'Em Both!!!!!

Freypower
03-08-2009, 06:33 PM
EC was here - Sydney March 8, 2009

Setlist:

Tell The Truth
Key To The Highway
Hoochie Coochie Man
I Shot The Sheriff
Isn't It A Pity
Little Wing
Driftin'
Travellin' Alone
Nobody Knows You When You're Down & Out
Motherless Child
Running On Faith
Motherless Children (yes, two different songs with a similar title)
Little Queen Of Spades
Before You Accuse Me
Wonderful Tonight
Layla
Cocaine

Crossroads

Very heavy on blues, as you can see. The second guitarist, Doyle Bramhall II, sang some verses and played very well. Familiar faces were Willie Weeks (bass - he played on the But Seriously, Folks album) and Chirs Stainton of Joe Cocker fame.

I expected a huge array of guitars, which is what John Fogerty did, but we only had a pale blue Strat and a black Strat plus a Martin acoustic during the acoustic blues set. I suppose the biggest surprise was Isn't It A Pity, the George Harrison song from All Things Must Pass. During I Shot The Sheriff he included Marley's line 'If I am guilty I will pay'! which isn't on his own recording.

The man is a master and he is a great singer too. What a pleasure to see him after 22 years (the last time he was here in 1987 he still had 'substance abuse' problems and he says the shows were a mess).

Koala
03-09-2009, 03:36 AM
EC was here - Sydney March 8, 2009

Setlist:

Tell The Truth
Key To The Highway
Hoochie Coochie Man
I Shot The Sheriff
Isn't It A Pity
Little Wing
Driftin'
Travellin' Alone
Nobody Knows You When You're Down & Out
Motherless Child
Running On Faith
Motherless Children (yes, two different songs with a similar title)
Little Queen Of Spades
Before You Accuse Me
Wonderful Tonight
Layla
Cocaine

Crossroads

An excellent setlist!
Some of my favorites songs were played, I would have seen this concert also with pleasure!

MikeA
03-09-2009, 08:33 AM
He is pretty amazing isn't he FP? The thing I like about many of the "old" performers is that they have paid their dues...they don't have to prove anything. If they are still doing it, they do it either because they are supporting some "cause" they are really dedicated to, or because they just like to do it. I guess some are in it just for the money, but generally, I think they just like to perform. At least that's what I LIKE to think. Probably naive though.

TimothyBFan
03-09-2009, 08:54 AM
Glad you liked it FP. I haven't seen him for 20 years but sounds like he still puts on a great show. Would love to see him once again.

ticky
03-09-2009, 11:26 AM
Awe Julie!! I bet it was GREAT!! I'd love to see Clapton live. I've been playing Slow Hand to death since this topic popped up. The set list looks like my kind of stuff too. Im envious *G*

Ive always been a dreamer
03-09-2009, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the review, FP and glad that Eric was in top form.

Peekaboo
03-10-2009, 11:48 PM
Sounds like a fantastic time you had Julie!!! Clapton is amazing and i bet he is even more amazing to see live in concert. He's supposed to be coming to Oklahoma this June with Steve Winwood. Clapton is on my wish list of concerts to see. I'm trying to save up to get a new car but I may have to dip into my car fund and try to make it to this concert.

TimothyBFan
03-11-2009, 08:35 AM
Jess-if you get a chance ---GO especially if he is with Steve Winwood! That would be an awesome show for sure!!

eaglesvet
06-09-2009, 07:31 AM
I just decided at the last minute this am to go see Steve Winwood (one of my faves) and Clapton at the Meadowlands tomorrow night. They opened up some new seating at the rear caddy-corner of the stage, and they were priced just right ($65 plus fees), rather than the $185-249 they were looking for the only other open seats, on the floor (midpoint and back.) I'm going to try tipping an usher to move me to a better seat...I've seen it done in another finer NJ establishment, so ya never know! (Actually, come to think of it...it was for my first LROOE tour way back...6 acquaintances of mine got moved a whole tier down for a total of $40...had I only known at the time!)

Anyway, anyone here going to the Winwood/Clapton show tomorrow night?:headbang:

TimothyBFan
06-09-2009, 09:07 AM
Cannot wait to hear about this EV! These guys are 2 of my faves! HAVE FUN!!