PDA

View Full Version : Non-Tech Savvy Fans?

sodascouts
08-24-2007, 03:56 PM
I subscribe to the Lefsetz Letter and he wrote a couple blog entries that are critical of the Eagles:

http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/index.php/archives/2007/08/22/how-long/
(Talks about non-tech savvy Eagles fans)

http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/index.php/archives/2007/08/24/im-with-the-band/
(criticizes the fact that How Long is a cover)

And who should respond but the Eagles' publicist, Larry Solters, with the following:

===============

"NO -- I'M WITH THE BAND."

Bob-

Thanks for your expertise, Bob. After all, the Eagles have only been one of the most enduring radio and touring acts for 35 years -- and still are -- so, what the fuck do they know? Yes, the song they chose to release as their new single, "How Long?" is also about 35 years old, but as you have stated dozens and dozens of times in this space, it's not about new or trendy -- great music spans the ages. YOU testify endlessly that you prefer the older "classic" rock. So, let's not be hypocritical here. Yes, the song was written by J.D. Souther -- same guy who wrote the bulk of "New Kid In Town" which you just praised in your last post. And yes, "How Long?" was on his first solo release in 1972. So, how many people do you think bought that album -- or even heard it? The song will now get worldwide exposure, gleaning Mr. Souther some long-overdue consideration.

And before you render your verdict and have the band hung at dawn, why don't you wait and see what the album is like? It's got 20 songs on it (for the price of a single disc). You might actually like a couple of them. I've heard the whole thing and there are several songs that measure up to -- or surpass -- their best work. They didn't attempt to sound "now" and "cutting-edge." No lame, cheap production tricks. They wanted to sound like the Eagles -- quality songs, great harmonies, leaning heavily on their country roots. But, don't worry, Bob, there are statements aplenty -- some of the most pointed they've ever made -- and stellar playing. They even employed some Middle Eastern instruments.

Concerning your pronouncements about the technology -- the Eagles camp has checked and rechecked all the sites -- talked to the people who run them. NO PROBLEMS BOB. Maybe you should take that Tandy back to Radio Shack and get yourself a new one. We are more than thrilled with the single's reception at Country and AAA radio -- check the numbers, Bob. And we are totally satisfied with the amount of attention we have received on our MySpace profile in less than 9 weeks since launch. MySpace.com/eaglesmusic is the #2 search result in Google. Keep checking MySpace and see what happens. Meanwhile, the Eagles feature at Yahoo: 10,337,654 impressions; 182,427 clicks.

So, we're not Neanderthals, Bob, and neither are our fans. THEY know how and where to find us -- which brings up my final point: Do you really think that the Eagles and their manager, Irving Azoff, didn't try to get the URL "eagles.com?" You have often stated that Azoff is one of the sharpest, most effective guys in the business -- so, do you really believe that he didn't think about the URL? Check it out. The URL eagles.com belongs to a computer company in New Jersey. They've owned it since 1997 and their response to numerous inquiries from the Eagles camp: It's not for sale AT ANY PRICE. You want to call that company and negotiate a reasonable deal for us, Bob? Go for it. Also, you ever heard of an outfit called The Philadelphia Eagles? They don't own it either. And to keep their lawyers off our asses, we have to make sure that our URLs connect the name Eagles with our trade, i.e. "band" or "music." So, you see, Bob, all this stuff isn't really quite as simple as you and some of your mean-spirited, knuckle-dragging readers would assume. But the Eagles are just fine, thank you -- their "non tech-savvy fans" are obviously finding their way to both eaglesband.com and to the Wal*Mart online sites to pre-order "Long Road Out of Eden." And, somehow, these poor, "non-tech savvy fans” regularly find their way to our sites to purchase Eagles' concert tickets and merchandise. We don't need to bribe or intimidate anyone out of an ownership of a URL that includes "Eagles." The album will be released on October 30. Wait and watch.

Larry Solters

=============

It reads like an ad!

Freypower
08-24-2007, 05:40 PM
I don't mind the occasional reference to 'Don Henley and Company'. I have seen it elsewhere. I do mind that Lefsetz doesn't appear to know anything about Don Henley's songwriting partner (and yet this is the same man who in an extremely gushing review referred to Glenn as having been 'born with charisma' before returning his attention to Don. I don't get the way he writes. I find it very irritating. He needs an editor.

Kudos to Larry for the response.

Brooke
08-24-2007, 07:03 PM
Very interesting reads, Soda! Thanks!

I can agree with Bob about the Mac/Walmart problem (wouldn't you think Walmart of all places would be compatible? and yes, dammital, I have a Mac!). But the Eagles have nothing to do with that!

glenneaglesfan
08-25-2007, 03:30 AM
Little does he know how tech Eagles fans are! Even boomers know about YouTube, photobucket and so on.

An interesting couple of articles, Soda, thanks. Bomber, I wonder if you have a point there.

sodascouts
08-25-2007, 09:40 AM
Regarding the tech-savviness of Eagles fans, we should keep in mind that we folks here are not representative necessarily of the tech-savvy level of the regular Eagles fan. Yes, we all know about Photobucket, MySpace, YouTube and the like, but not everyone does. All it takes is a look at the very small number of active Eagles fansites to tell you that perhaps there aren't as many tech aficianados as in other fandoms. Individual member sites don't fare much better. Ironically, the vast majority of Eagles sites were established quite a while ago when the internet was just catching on with amateurs, and are now not updated or are offline completely.

However, his dismissal of the fact that fans could easily find the official site with the complaint that they couldn't easily find the MySpace and therefore the Eagles were stupid about URLs... well, that just didn't make sense. This is especially true since people familiar with MySpace know that it is common practice for bands and musicians to append "music" to their name. Either Lefsetz is the one who's not savvy about MySpace, or there is something else going on. Regardless, it was an interesting read.

The Pop-Ups complaint has more legitimacy. Those things annoy me to death and I can't close that Nokia ad fast enough.

tbs fanatic
08-25-2007, 12:10 PM
An interesting read. I have to say I am VERY untechified but have managed to muddle my way to the various sites that I'm interested in - sometimes with help, sometimes not. I suspect many people are in my boat.

sodascouts
08-26-2007, 10:17 AM
By the way, I should note that when I went to the Eagles' official site today, I got no Nokia pop-up! Yay!

DonFan
08-26-2007, 05:38 PM
I also subscribe to the Lefsetz Letter, and since he is usually one of the Eagles' biggest supporters, I was a bit surprised by what he said as well. I loved Solters' response, especially these points:

"Before you render your verdict and have the band hung at dawn, why don't you wait and see what the album is like? It's got 20 songs on it (for the price of a single disc). You might actually like a couple of them. I've heard the whole thing and there are several songs that measure up to -- or surpass -- their best work.... But, don't worry, Bob, there are statements aplenty -- some of the most pointed they've ever made -- and stellar playing.

Concerning your pronouncements about the technology -- the Eagles camp has checked and rechecked all the sites....Maybe you should take that Tandy back to Radio Shack and get yourself a new one. ....And MySpace.com/eaglesmusic is the #2 search result in Google.

So, we're not Neanderthals, Bob, and neither are our fans. THEY know how and where to find us ....Their "non tech-savvy fans" are obviously finding their way to both eaglesband.com and to the Wal*Mart online sites to pre-order "Long Road Out of Eden." And, somehow, these poor, "non-tech savvy fans” regularly find their way to our sites to purchase Eagles' concert tickets and merchandise." Larry Solters

It pains me to admit, as one of their so-called "non-tech-savvy fans," that I am old enough that I understand the "Tandy" reference! :roll: