PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts on actual setlist structures

thelastresort
04-03-2014, 06:13 PM
Inspired by a couple of posts on the Dream Setlist thread, but I don't want to stray that from people actually creating their own interpretations.

Anyway, I was just after people's opinions on how they think various Eagles setlist structures have worked.

For example, they currently finish with Desperado (and have done since Farewell 1?). I have to be honest here and say I really don't like it at the end. After the buzz that Take It Easy gives you I don't like how the atmosphere plummets back down to earth with a song about being alone / lonely etc. For this reason I'd prefer Take It Easy to be the end song - it ends the show on a high and also gives just about every band member their chance in the spotlight, unlike on Desperado where Henley is practically the centre of attention for all of it.

I've always thought some songs have been better suited to being early on - Peaceful Easy Feeling, New Kid in Town and Lyin' Eyes are three of them; whereas songs like Already Gone and Best of My Love work better as the show draws to a close (indeed I believe BOML has been the ending song a long time ago).

Hotel California for me doesn't belong as the starting song (like it was on HFO, though I can understand why it was where it was then), I think it would work well as the last song before encore one, or as the first song of the latter. Nor should it be during the final encore.

(Also, the lack of chronology in the second half of the HOTE tour annoys my OCD :lol:)

Anyone else have any opinions?

Prettymaid
04-03-2014, 06:46 PM
I was just talking the other day about how I wish they would end the show with TIE and that they would put Desperado elsewhere in the show. I honestly would not care that much if they dropped Desperado altogether, but I realize it's a well loved song by many. But I honestly don't know where it would fit best. At first I thought, "Close the first half of the show with it", but I don't really want that downer either. I prefer to have them close the first half with AG or LITFL. So where should Desperado go? Maybe the last song of the first encore. For the record, Fleetwood Mac ends their shows similarly, with Stevie singing the slow and moving Goodbye Baby. I don't like that either. I, like many here have posted before, would like to have a show end with a rocker.

As far as HC, I kind of like that you never know where they're going to put it in the show on any given tour. I think it takes balls to take what some consider their masterpiece and start the show with it, or put it fourth song in. They know they have enough hits to satisfy their audience at the end of the show without it.

I think it's a craft in itself for any band to create a setlist that takes the audience on that perfect roller coaster ride so that the show climaxes at the perfect time.

StephUK
04-03-2014, 07:27 PM
I'm going to disagree a bit. I like Desperado as the final song; I dont' see it as a 'downer' after the faster songs. As we've been talking about metaphores in another thread, I think having Desperado as the final song is like having a cuddle after sex. (Hope that doesn't offend anyone here).
I like the last song before the encores to be a fast one, and LIFL is just right. I agree with you, the last resort, that HC isn't good as a show opener. The audience need to be warmed up before HC. At every show I've been to, HC has been greeted with loud applause because everyone has been waiting to hear it. Everyone knows it even if they're not die-hard Eagles fans like us.

I think the HOTE tour should have a song or two from LROOE. I was a bit annoyed at the way they almost didn't mention it on the DVD. It's part of their history & I think it contains some great songs. Also, lets not forget that they toured for over 3 years on the back of it, which made them mega-dollars.

We've talked about set list structures a little before, during the LROOE tour. Mainly when there were shortened shows, which meant some songs were cut. The discussion then was mainly about which Eagles had the most lead vocals. I remember saying at the time that I thought the band tried to ensure that songs flowed easily from one to the next, while also being able to drop a song and put another one in here and there. Not an easy task.

Ive always been a dreamer
04-03-2014, 09:42 PM
I'm one that has said many times that I would like for Take It Easy to be the closer, although I like your cuddling analogy re: Desperado, Steph. I'd never really thought about it like that before. :wink:

I also agree that putting together a great setlist takes a special talent. In this current HOTE tour, I love the setlist - to me it is a hardcore's wildest dream. However, I have heard quite a few comments from critics and casual fans about the show moving too slowly because there are so many ballads all together in the first set. It makes me wonder if that is the general consensus of the audience?

MaryCalifornia
04-03-2014, 11:31 PM
It makes me wonder if that is the general consensus of the audience?

I think you will get a different answer from different constituencies - real fans (like those of us who follow the posts on the Border) know the set list, don't have any other expectations, and know what they're in for, even as far as banter and the structure of the show. As for myself, I was able to just sit back and wait for each song - couldn't be happier. Didn't mind the mellow because I knew it was coming. I would like 7BR, VoL, and one more TBS lead, but only as add-ons, not deleting any of the current songs. I think it flows really nicely.

Then you have your casual fans, who know the main songs that are played on the radio, were willing to make the effort to pay for and attend the show with some buddies, but haven't really seen any articles about the tour or gone to any fan sites - these are the ones who might think it is a bit slow at the beginning.

Then you have the third group of fans - those who don't know any of the songs or anything about the band (there are always some of these at any concert!) but went on a date or for a corporate or networking event. I would think they would be duly impressed by our guys!! After overcoming the initial surprise of all of the "rules"!

sodascouts
04-04-2014, 06:13 PM
I agree with pretty much everything that's been said here. In terms of the fast vs. slow ending, I like it to end on an "up" note, too. I guess they like the effect of the audience singing "LET SOMEBODY LOVE YOU" towards the end - it's a nice sentiment - but for all the reasons that have been stated, I'd lean towards putting it elsewhere... like in the Desperado portion of the show.

TimFan222
04-04-2014, 07:09 PM
I don't know about anyone else but every time I hear Desperado I get really sad because I know the show is over.

Ive always been a dreamer
04-04-2014, 09:28 PM
Well TF222, maybe that's the reason they end the show with a sad song like Desperado. Take It Easy ain't gonna make anyone cry. :grin:

thelastresort
04-04-2014, 10:25 PM
Well TF222, maybe that's the reason they end the show with a sad song like Desperado. Take It Easy ain't gonna make anyone cry. :grin:

I agree. In its own right TIE isn't in my top 10 Eagles songs but the sheer energy and passion it brings out is infectious. It would be good to end the show with where it all started over 40 years ago. Would also like them to do the extended guitar work in the outro that they used to do with Felder - would be awesome to see Joe and Bernie jamming together.

StephUK
04-05-2014, 08:02 PM
I don't know about anyone else but every time I hear Desperado I get really sad because I know the show is over.

I have felt like that too, but if they put something else at the end I fear we'd get used to that also. The end of the show is always going to be sad - unless they changed it often so we don't know what's going to be the final song!

Freypower
04-05-2014, 08:28 PM
At least with Take It Easy you leave on a high & the entire band is showcased, not just one of them. I have always felt that this song should close the show. I know they can't drop Desperado but as someone said they could play it when they play the other songs from that album; and it should feature Don on drums & Glenn on piano.

sodascouts
04-08-2014, 01:00 AM
I linked to this in another thread, but I found a couple articles written from the perspective of musicians that discuss what you should consider when you're trying to structure a setlist:

http://www.joelmabus.com/composing_a_set_list.htm

http://www.roland.co.uk/musicindustrynews/How-do-I-structure-a-setlist?$800007667.aspx

The second one seems to agree that it's good to end with something uptempo, which goes with the idea of ending with something like "Take It Easy."

johnnycomelately89
04-08-2014, 01:21 AM
Take It Easy is my biggest complaint about the setlist, but my second and only other complaint is how they ignore Long Road Out Eden!

That album surprised me by how good it was. songs like (obvioulsy) How Long, Busy Being Fabulous and Guilty Of The Crime would be solid additions and freshen things up a bit, i think.

sodascouts
04-08-2014, 01:39 AM
Yeah, it seems that the majority, at least here, feel that TIE would work best last in the actual setlist structure.

As for LROOE (and I agree), if you want to talk more about what you'd like to see added, go here:
https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1331 - we've got a topic all about that!

Brooke
04-08-2014, 03:24 PM
Not much I can add here, but have always thought TIE should be the closer. And Desperado should go with the other songs from that album.

I think, as some others do, that TIE gets the whole band involved, not just Don. Plus it's my favorite song of the Eagles.

Glennsallnighter
04-09-2014, 04:53 AM
Glenn :heart: finished with Take it Easy in Niagara Falls 3 years ago, and I still left the arena in floods!!

thelastresort
08-23-2014, 05:17 PM
I was wondering where to post this, it kinda fits here plus I don't mind semi-derailing my own thread:

I posted elsewhere a couple of weeks ago that Lyin' Eyes was one of very few Eagles songs I could think of that has never been dropped. Saying that got me thinking about what the other songs in that category would be. I got:
Take It Easy, Desperado, OOTN, Lyin' Eyes, Hotel California, LITFL, Heartache Tonight, ICTYW, In the City, LWKUA.

I'm a bit unsure on some - TIE and LITFL aren't on the Houston bootleg, and I don't know if Already Gone was permanent until it vanished in the LROOE era.

(My criteria generally are missing for a tour or significant length of time.)

Anyone able to help?

Freypower
08-23-2014, 05:49 PM
LWKUA was dropped when they cut out the acoustic portion of the show during the LROOE period.

sodascouts
08-26-2014, 09:26 PM
Interesting - I didn't realize OOTN had been in the setlist so consistently!

Glennsallnighter
08-28-2014, 11:32 AM
Every concert I have been to including Glenn:heart:'s solo ones have included 'lying Eyes' and 'Peaceful Easy Feeling' at least!!