PDA

View Full Version : Going solo!

zeldabjr
04-09-2014, 10:25 PM
I'm curious as to how many of us have or would go to any concert alone if they wanted to see someone and couldn't find someone to go with...

I want to go see Kenny Wayne Shepherd next month...but am thinking no one I know will be interested in going...thinking of going alone...but not sure I want to do that...
I know there are a few out there who have done it...but going alone just doesn't sound like much fun..

VAisForEagleLovers
04-09-2014, 10:28 PM
Well, of course I would go solo. I go to concerts solo a lot. I learned a long time ago to not wait on friends to be in the mood to do the things I want to do.

shunlvswx
04-09-2014, 10:57 PM
I have been to a few concerts by myself. I usually go to concerts by myself other than when I go to Branson every year. I meet up with fellow Osmond fans, but that's another story. LOL

Anyway. Being African-American, a lot of my friends don't listen to the music I listen to. I don't mind going to concerts by myself. its just traveling to other state to see someone you want to see so bad. That happened to me when the guys were playing in New Orleans and Memphis. I couldn't go. Heck even driving 3 hours in my own state is hard. I have to go to concerts that's close by.

I'm 3 hours away from New Orleans, Memphis, Shreveport and Birmingham in all directions. I only drove to New Orleans by myself, but that was for a conference and I was meeting up with my fellow co-workers.

Tiffanny Twisted
04-09-2014, 10:58 PM
Yep id go by myself if I could affird too

Freypower
04-09-2014, 11:11 PM
I have been going to concerts alone for years. I did before I was married & now again because my husband doesn't like the incessant talking of audiences & most of the time he doesn't want to see the acts I go to see.

VAisForEagleLovers
04-09-2014, 11:14 PM
As for the "no fun being alone", it is nice to socialize with people before and after, but if I'm paying the $$ to go to a concert, there best not be any conversation during the concert!

thelastresort
04-09-2014, 11:24 PM
I've done it before and I'd merrily do it again. I enjoy getting lost in the music / atmosphere at concerts, and I think being alone aids that.

WalshFan88
04-10-2014, 01:24 AM
I can't drive (blind in left eye) but if I had a means to get to the venue and had no one to go with, I would. It would be different for me but I'd enjoy it once the band started in I think.

bluefeather
04-10-2014, 05:00 AM
I'd go alone and happily get lost in the music, I think at some point I would even travel abroad to see a concert

prayfordaylight
04-10-2014, 08:52 AM
I've gone solo several times because it's expensive to bring people who aren't 100% into who you're seeing (I'd also rather buy a $200 ticket for myself than 2 $100 tickets also LOL). It's nice because you get to meet fellow fans before the show. I saw Justin Hayward (of the Moody Blues) last year and had a lovely time before the show chatting with a mother/daughter from Mexico, a woman from North Carolina and a guy from New Jersey because we all could bond over the music.

I'm actually trying to convince my dad to go see Jackson Browne solo because I'm the only person who would go with him and I can't make it. Sometimes it's lovely just sitting there alone and enjoying the show.

irga
04-10-2014, 09:40 AM
Zelda, although I quite understand where your hesitation might come from (I guess I might be your type of person), I would definitely go for the concert. There's nothing better than to immerse in a live music. In fact, even if you go with somebody, in the end you experience every note by yourself. Then, who knows, maybe you'll get to know somebody interesting who shares your musical taste! :headbang:

Brooke
04-10-2014, 10:35 AM
I would go alone and have a couple times. Usually my husband goes, but those times he couldn't because of work.

I had a great time both times and you don't have to worry about doing what the other person wants to do. You can do whatever you want! I got to meet other like minded people too and enjoyed talking with them.

DJ
04-10-2014, 03:36 PM
I'd go alone, my husband doesn't understand my love for music. He's a old fuddy now. But since he's an info/history buff he knows more about musicians/bands than I do. I know more about the songs.So it's a good mix.. :-o

Tiffanny Twisted
04-10-2014, 07:34 PM
As for the "no fun being alone", it is nice to socialize with people before and after, but if I'm paying the $$ to go to a concert, there best not be any conversation during the concert!

What there"s no conversation during eagles concerts"
In my best tom hanks voice like, " There's no crying in baseball"

Houston Baby
04-10-2014, 09:10 PM
I go alone ALL the time now except for the occasional EAGLES adventure with my fellow Borderers. :laugh: My friends are not going to spend the kind of $ I do for a great seat. Sometimes my sister or my best friend will go but now 90% of the time I go alone. It is a great opportunity to meet new people.

Z - I saw KWS a couple of years ago when he opened for Joe W. If you have never seen him perform, do NOT pass up this chance. He is awesome!! Joe said he was Jimi Hendrix reincarnated.

And VA can tell you that I was all by my lonesome at Glenn's NYC Town Hall show. Until I met her & HH!! :headbang:

Tiffanny Twisted
04-10-2014, 10:48 PM
Deb and as they say the rest is history........

Glennsallnighter
04-12-2014, 06:27 PM
As you all know, like FP I have travelled alone to see Glenn :heart: and the Eagles on my own, although there has always been the promise of meeting other Borderers. Still if I liked any singer/ band enough I would go Solo no problem. In fairness my husband will go whether he likes the artist or not. But bottom line, I would not miss a gig because I had no one to go with!

VAisForEagleLovers
04-14-2014, 10:06 PM
I remember all my friends being shocked and dismayed when I went to Vegas solo to see the guys on my 50th birthday. I guess a combination of Vegas not being a typical solo destination and the fact that it was a big milestone birthday. However...there was only one front row ticket, so... I'm so glad I went. I had a great time and while I've seen the guys many times since then, I still remember it like it was last night.

I guess because I've had to travel so much for business, the traveling alone part is no big deal to me at all.

sodascouts
04-14-2014, 10:08 PM
Between my Eagles and Fleetwood Mac fandoms, I can usually find someone who's going to the same show I am. On the rare occasions where that doesn't happen, though, I'd rather go by myself than miss out.

Outside those fandoms, I often have to go by myself because my local friends aren't into classic rock. I've seen Jackson Browne, JD Souther, and Jack Tempchin by myself.

Midnight_Flyer
04-17-2014, 06:39 PM
i would go alone if no-one else wanted to go lol

Witchy Woman
04-17-2014, 10:56 PM
I would definitely go by myself if I couldn't find anyone else to go with me. I have spoken to lots of folks on their own at concerts, and I think they enjoy themselves more !! Why should you miss out on an artist you like because nobody wants to go with you ?