PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Resort / Disney World / Etc.

Brooklyn Roads
04-18-2014, 02:11 AM
I was wondering who out there has any thoughts on Disneyland / Disney World / Disney theme parks, in general.

Since I live about 4-5 hours from Los Angeles, I visit Disneyland on average every few years. I've gone a total of 6 times; I hope to go more frequently and during Christmas, at least once (already did Halloween).

What are your thoughts about going to the parks? Your experiences? Any great childhood memories or adult memories of going to any Disney park? Funny stories? Oddities?

I suppose for myself, Disneyland is a form of escape that offers a lot of entertainment packed into a relatively small space. I don't really look at it as a fantasy land, as there's a lot of reality around you (crying, tired, hungry and/or cranky kids; strollers running over your feet; long bathroom lines and long ride lines; summer time heat; lots of money spent on tickets, food and hotel); however, Disney does offer a lot of world class rides, entertainment, much better food than at a carnival/fair, theming that no other park can rival, the essence of Walt's touch, and so much more.

Anyway, I am sure many of you have some interesting thoughts about Disney theme parks and I was curious as to what they could be.

Thanks for your responses!

bluefeather
04-18-2014, 08:51 AM
I've never been but would be nice to go sometime with some kids I know, though I'm not sure where my nearest Disneyland is, Denmark or France?

MaryCalifornia
04-18-2014, 01:24 PM
I used to go to Disneyland pretty frequently growing up, but haven't been in 30 years, and my poor kids have never been! Never been to Disneyworld. It just sounds awful. (I know people like it, no offense meant, just not what I'm looking for when I drop that amount of $$)

If you are interested, you can read my recent post about our trip to Universal Studios last week - it is post # 607 in the "what are you doing right now" thread. That was a great experience I know you would enjoy, if you haven't already.

Witchy Woman
04-18-2014, 03:30 PM
I haven't been there since my senior trip, but I would love to go back. I'm really excited about the Harry Potter theme park, and I hope to get the chance to see it in the next year or so.

It would seem it has gotten a bit commercialized, and I've seen several reports of the park being so crowded no one could move and people had to be turned away. I certainly would try to go during a downtime and avoid all that.

Brooke
04-18-2014, 04:31 PM
I've never been but would love to go sometime. Maybe we'll take the grandkids someday! And grownup kids too?!

I have a bnl that has taken his family (5 kids) nearly every year since his oldest daughter was about 5. She's now 25! They all love it, even now that they're grown! We all made fun of them the first year they took their triplets when they were about 3 because they put those harness things on them (like dogs?!) But really it was the safest way to hold on to all of them! :lol:

sodascouts
04-18-2014, 05:12 PM
The last time I went to Disneyworld was when I was 16. I'm not going to say how long ago that was, lol.

My parents have wanted to take the extended family there (daughters, son-in-law, grandchildren) and have even offered to pay for me to bring a friend. We haven't aligned everyone's schedule yet, but I would be interested in going again. I know a LOT has changed since my last visit!

Glennsallnighter
04-18-2014, 06:26 PM
We have taken the children to the Paris Disneyland theme park on 3 occasions. We always have had a wonderful time and its great that there are activities that appeal to all ages. I'd love to go back again soon, but there IS a big bad world out there to see too!

Houston Baby
04-18-2014, 06:40 PM
Well, since all my Dad's side of the family lives in central Florida @ 25 minutes away and I visit at least once a year, I have been to the DisneyWorld complex @ 40 or 50 times! Needless to say I love it. My very first visit was before it even opened. While they were building DW you could go to a visitor's center and look at drawings and a scale model of the complex. I can remember standing there looking at the scale model under glass and imagining how wonderful it was going to be once it was completed. I can remember the excitement I felt and I was in high school - LOL!!

My favorite park is Epcot. I love going during the spring when Epcot has the Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival. It usually runs from March to mid-May. Absolutely beautiful with gorgeous gardens, extra topiary displays, HGTV presentations & seminars and the Flower Power Concert Series which usually has bands from the 60s, 70s & 80s. This year they have The Guess Who, Paul Revere & the Raiders, the Lovin' Spoonful, Herman's Hermits (with Peter Noone), The Grass Roots, Village People and other bands. Added bonus is if you go @ late April or early May you can avoid the spring break & summer crowds/kids. For the wine lovers there is an Epcot International Food & Wine Festival in the fall.

One of my regrets that I hope to fix is that I have never been at Christmas. I hear it is absolutely beautiful at that time with all the decorations.

As you can tell if you get me started on DisneyWorld I can't stop. Anybody have specific questions, I will try to help.

Darn - Now I want to go to FL!! :laugh:

Tiffanny Twisted
04-18-2014, 06:51 PM
I have been to Florida twice.
Once we took our son for two quick days when he was about 2 or three I think. He was so in love with Mickey Mouse.
Then we went back when he was 6 I think both times were because Dad was in the are for business and we combined the trip.

Probably not something I would do again till we have grandchildren to go with.
For me I just remember it being an exhausting place . Up early and to bed late and run run run all day after a small child.
although he did love space mountain....rode it a dozen times at least.

never been to CA .

Its funny I live close to Philly and I haven't seen the liberty bell since 10th grade.
Its been so long since I saw it , It was still in the original building lol.
guess you don't go close to were you live Mary CA:laugh:

Houston Baby
04-18-2014, 07:20 PM
I will share one of my favorite memories when a bunch of my family went to Epcot. We had @ 25 of us going so there were 3 or 4 vehicles. It was aunts, uncles, cousins & my dad. I was grown @ 25 or 26 & I happened to go to FL the same time my parents were visiting. Once dad retired, my parents would go stay with his sister for a few weeks visiting all his relatives & old school chums. So my dad drove 1 vehicle & I rode with my cousins. We get to Epcot & split up to get in the numerous ticket lines. Dad looks over & who is right by his side? Me of course! He puts his arm around me & laughs & says “You didn’t even ride up here with me but here you are now right by my side waiting for good ole dad to buy your ticket like when you were 14”. I just smiled. He got me there – here I was grown with a good job expecting Dad to pay for my ticket – LOL! But gosh, those tickets were expensive even back then.

BTW – Dad bought my ticket that day! Thanks Dad! You are always in my heart.

sodascouts
04-18-2014, 07:23 PM
Aw - what a sweet story! My daddy is still going to pay for my Disneyworld tickets, too! ;)

Houston Baby
04-18-2014, 07:53 PM
Thanks Soda! We're always our daddy's little girls! :wink:

Tiffanny Twisted
04-18-2014, 08:19 PM
wow that s so sweet.
makes me miss my dad even more..he's been gone for 10 years.

Houston Baby
04-18-2014, 08:51 PM
Wow TT, my dad has been gone for 10 years now too - March 2004. In fact I was in FL when he was put in the hospital here.

Freypower
04-18-2014, 09:50 PM
I went to Disneyland in 1981 & Disneyworld in 1988. I enjoyed both places but it is extremely unlikely that I will ever visit either of them again if I ever return to the United States, which is doubtful.

Houston Baby
04-18-2014, 09:53 PM
I LOVE the spring training games! So much fun!! I have never been to the Braves complex though. I usually go to the Houston Astros or the Detroit Tigers.

Tiffanny Twisted
04-19-2014, 07:59 AM
Hb. 10 years jan 2004
I did have fun when my son was little
He was more excited to see mickey snow w white and mary poppins then the rides
But for me it was all for him and his fun not mine

Brooklyn Roads
04-19-2014, 10:13 AM
Wow, these are all such great stories, everyone!! I love the wonderful memories you've shared, too!!

I think the ultimate take-a-way with these places are the memories. The rides, food, atmosphere are all great, but it's really the people you spend the time with that really make it special!

I have only been to Disneyland basically because of the proximity, but I really want to try out Disneyworld. I know so many who've loved it. There are some who don't like it for some reasons, but I know I'd like it no matter what. I mean, ever since I was a little girl, Epcot has always been a place I wanted to see. I thought when we went in 1988 I was going to see Epcot. I didn't know that was not in Disneyland! haha, oh well, I got to go on the monorail at least!

Mary California - I have been to Universal Studios - Hollywood, but that was a very long time ago (about 25 years) and I've heard many of the things I saw have been taken away :( I guess I shouldn't expect for it to always stay the same! I'd love to try the Harry Potter ride, but is that only at the Florida park?

Anyhow, I am glad Disney Parks have had a special impact on our lives.

I hope to go soon again. Was just there in October for Mickey's Halloween Party and went trick-or-treating for the first time in a lonnnnnng time ;)

WalshFan88
04-19-2014, 11:40 AM
I went to Disney World with my grandparents when I was 7 (a little over 18 years ago..). It was fun - what I remember of it.

I remember some things and not others. I remember that my favorite ride was the tea cup ride and that I have a picture around here somewhere of me with Mickey Mouse.... I also remember the flight down there was my first time flying (back before I had to take a pill to be able to get me anywhere near an airplane :D) and that my great-grandparents were vacationing down there and we stayed with them.

Tiffanny Twisted
04-19-2014, 02:15 PM
cool great memories Austin
it really is a fun place

Brooke
04-21-2014, 03:57 PM
Great memories everyone!

ETA:

WF, somehow I can't see you in a teacup! You should share that picture with us! :lol:

WalshFan88
04-21-2014, 09:05 PM
Great memories everyone!

ETA:

WF, somehow I can't see you in a teacup! You should share that picture with us! :lol:

Bahahaha me neither now that I think of it. I dunno if I have the photo of me in the teacup but I do of me with Mickey Mouse somewhere... I ought to find it next weekend and scan it in.

No joke - it was my favorite ride. That side I've always loved things that go in circles and spin fast!!! Tilt A Whirl was my favorite when I was older, and always carousels but they never went fast enough. My favorite was the Tilt A Whirl where I would spin my car around and I had it mastered! :lol:

Houston Baby
04-21-2014, 10:34 PM
OMG Austin, I am dizzy & nauseous just thinking about those spinning teacups. Once as a kid was enough for me! :dizzy:

WalshFan88
04-21-2014, 10:40 PM
OMG Austin, I am dizzy & nauseous just thinking about those spinning teacups. Once as a kid was enough for me! :dizzy:

I used to sit in desk chairs and chairs at the hairstylist and spin in them too when I was little. In fact it was a game - I'd spin one way and then quickly change directions and go the other way. Never got sick but it was fun. :D

I always liked the thrill. I always liked the "Spider" too, but instead of going in circles it moved up and down too at the same time.... I always preferred rides like that to rollercoasters, which were always a bit boring for me. I'd rather sit and spin in circles. :lol:

Freypower
04-21-2014, 10:55 PM
I enjoyed the teacups (Alice In Wonderland) ride too. I have photos of myself at Disneyland in 1981 but I would not think anyone would want to see them.

Houston Baby
04-21-2014, 11:22 PM
Oh, I think it would be fun to post photos if anyone has them and can find them. Like Austin, I would have to find mine.

Brooke
04-22-2014, 10:13 AM
I would love to see everyone's photos if you can find them!

I always liked the tilt-a-whirl, rock-0-plane, and roller coasters at the county fairs as a kid, but those spiders would make me sick. Can't do any of them anymore! Anything going in circles especially.

WalshFan88
04-22-2014, 03:54 PM
I would love to see everyone's photos if you can find them!

I always liked the tilt-a-whirl, rock-0-plane, and roller coasters at the county fairs as a kid, but those spiders would make me sick. Can't do any of them anymore! Anything going in circles especially.

Forgot about the rock-o-plane. Those were fun too! Also there was a ride called the Gravitron which spun you around.

Brooke
04-22-2014, 04:47 PM
Forgot about the rock-o-plane. Those were fun too! Also there was a ride called the Gravitron which spun you around.

Oh God, please, nooooooooooooooooooo! :lol: :puke:

WalshFan88
04-22-2014, 05:14 PM
Oh God, please, nooooooooooooooooooo! :lol: :puke:

I take it you didn't like it?!

It was FUN! lol

You know what's ironic is last year I developed vertigo out of the blue...after all of these years LOVING to be spinning around with no problem, I now get a bit dizzy if the car hits the train tracks too fast. :lol:

I couldn't do any of the rides I mentioned now - no way. But I used to love them. ;)

Houston Baby
04-22-2014, 09:26 PM
Well at least you have the memories Austin. I was always too chicken to ride them! :dizzy:

Tiffanny Twisted
04-23-2014, 10:17 AM
well, I could not ride the rides, I had a stroke and brain injury at 21 so keep in mind this is before I phones and e readers,.,,,I always had a book in my back pack and Mike would take our son and Id sit and read in the florida sun ..lol inless it was its a small world ride which I loved :laugh:

Brooke
04-23-2014, 10:25 AM
TT, wow! I'm so glad you have recovered!