PDA

View Full Version : Do Something

farewell
08-27-2007, 06:58 PM
I was totally surprised to find a unknown song. At least it was unknown to me. I've I may thrust my ears, it's a song by Timothy and it's called 'do something'.

Who can tell me something about it? Is it quit new? Or maybe a solo song? But I thought to hear Don in backing vocals.
I hope I'm not totally wrong, about it.
help??
I couldn't find in anywere els.

Perfect Little Sister
08-27-2007, 07:07 PM
Last November the Eagles packaged their Farewell 1 DVD with a cd containing three "bonus" tracks. One was Do Something, the others were Fast Company and No More Cloudy Days. This was released the Friday following our American Thanksgiving as a Wal-Mart exclusive. It is indeed Timothy singing Do Something. Don sang lead on Fast Company using a falsetto voice that, in my opinion, doesn't do justice to the quality of his voice. Glenn sings lead on No More Cloudy Days as he did on the Farewell 1 DVD.

rcknalwys
08-27-2007, 07:11 PM
Great song isn't it? It's on the CD that comes with the Farewell 1 DVD along with No More Cloudy Days and Fast Company. The video on YouTube isn't by The Eagles however. :( Is it just me, or does Timothy's voice just sound better and better?

farewell
08-27-2007, 07:17 PM
Aha. It was the same double dvd fairwell 1 but now a new version with these bonus tracks? A limited edition as a thanksgiving present, sort of? Why was that. To make us (not me, but you folks living in america) buy another dvd, althoug we already had it? Not fair. Now we can't have these songs. Altough Glenn did 'no more cloudy days' also during the concert.
were it video clips?

Freypower
08-27-2007, 07:18 PM
I love the song. I love the note of impatience that creeps into Tim's voice in lines like 'don't just stand there taking up space'. I think it sends a very positive message. It has a beautiful contribution by Don and the harmonies are wonderful I suspect the pedal steel part is played by Steuart, who has a writing credit. It's a bit like the sequel to Learn To Be Still, but I think it has more depth.

And Farewell, it is more than likely that all three of those songs will be on the new album. No More Cloudy Days will definitely be on it.

There are no videos for FC or DS as yet.

Perfect Little Sister
08-27-2007, 07:20 PM
No there was no video. Just a CD with audio tracks bundled with that same FW1 we all had already. The only saving grace is it only cost $9.97 US. For that price I figured I could put the unopened one on the shelf for when the one I keep watching gets too scratched.

farewell
08-27-2007, 07:21 PM
Great song isn't it? It's on the CD that comes with the Farewell 1 DVD along with No More Cloudy Days and Fast Company. The video on YouTube isn't by The Eagles however. :( Is it just me, or does Timothy's voice just sound better and better?

I did hear it on youtube, the video along with it was made by a girl who lost her dog apparently. (dom girl, she better showed tims face in stead of some dead dog. :shock: did I said that? shame on me)
But it is only tim? not eagles in the backingvocal?

Freypower
08-27-2007, 07:22 PM
Please read my post above. Tim sings lead. Don sings the bridge 'run away/you can't run away'. Glenn sings harmony. It is an Eagles song.

Perfect Little Sister
08-27-2007, 07:23 PM
Tim is singing lead, the guys are backing.

edited to add: tag FP...you're it! :D

farewell
08-27-2007, 07:30 PM
hey I can't write that quickly. When I react on something my anser is already answered before I supmit my post. :D
but thanks everybody.

I don't think I have seen it here in the shops. well I'll just wait for the new album.

farewell
08-27-2007, 07:33 PM
ow b.t.w. PLS; you have Glenn's autograph? cool. With these major show's they're doing these days, you don't get the opportunity to se them nearby. Was on the 5th row, (standing) so pretty close, but not signature close, if you know what I mean. :?

sodascouts
08-27-2007, 08:20 PM
I think Do Something is a really pretty Eagles song. Tim's voice has been untouched by the years, it seems, and it's cool that he shares lead with Don (even if Don's lead is limited to the bridge). That little video done by that person may not exactly be professional quality, but it actually does promote the Eagles' new song because it allows people like farewell who don't have the bonus CD a chance to hear it.

BTW, if you want to know what we're talking about on YouTube, here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRuVRdSeOsI

farewell
08-28-2007, 09:42 AM
haha, did you make that video soda? ofcourse I'm happy that whoever did that put it on youtube. I hadn't heard of it. So don't feel attact by my words, okay? :D

sodascouts
08-28-2007, 10:23 AM
No, I did not make that video, so don't worry farewell, I don't feel attacked. :)

farewell
08-28-2007, 11:12 AM
okay, few, I can sleep tonight. Sometimes I find it hard to understand what people are singing. So I don't follow the whole song, neighter 'how long' actually. Do you 'guys' know if there are lyrics of the new one's?

sodascouts
08-28-2007, 11:17 AM
Here you go:

Lyrics to How Long (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/eagles/eden/howlong.htm)

Lyrics to Do Something (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/eagles/farewell1/dosomething.htm)

Freypower
08-28-2007, 08:03 PM
Is it 'I heard some poor fool sing' or 'say'?

Also the shiny night line is rather reminiscent of The Sad Cafe.

sodascouts
08-28-2007, 08:04 PM
Is it 'I heard some poor fool sing' or 'say'?

Also the shiny night line is rather reminiscent of The Sad Cafe.

I think in the '73 version it is "say" and in the new one it is "sing," at least to my ears.

Freypower
08-28-2007, 08:24 PM
I just wonder why they would change one word.

The Bomber
08-28-2007, 08:54 PM
Sounds like "sing" to me too, but my ears are old. Maybe the album will come with a lyrics sheet.

Perfect Little Sister
08-29-2007, 01:43 AM

Glenn has been known to do that before. Look at the "earrings lay" and "earrings swing". There's another one I've noticed in the past but it escapes me now as it's late and I'm brain dead. lol

farewell
08-29-2007, 02:31 AM
he sodascouts thats nice. Thanks. really quickly.

Mrs Frey
08-29-2007, 06:49 AM

Glenn has been known to do that before. Look at the "earrings lay" and "earrings swing". There's another one I've noticed in the past but it escapes me now as it's late and I'm brain dead. lol

Good point, PLS! When I listen to Glenn :heart: sing this song in F1 and "Live In Dublin", I'm never sure whether he's singing "earrings swing" or "earrings sway", the latter which would of course rhyme with "I like the way..." What do you think?

Mrs Frey
08-29-2007, 06:52 AM
Sounds like "sing" to me too, but my ears are old. Maybe the album will come with a lyrics sheet.

LOL, Jack! :lol: I'm sorry, I just thought that was funny :blush:.

I'm going to have to listen to both versions again to make sure what it sounds like to me, although at the moment I think it's "say". It just gives me another excuse to ogle the guys! :blush:

Perfect Little Sister
08-29-2007, 04:36 PM

Good point, PLS! When I listen to Glenn :heart: sing this song in F1 and "Live In Dublin", I'm never sure whether he's singing "earrings swing" or "earrings sway", the latter which would of course rhyme with "I like the way..." What do you think?

I've heard him say both swing and sway, MF. Perhaps it's just whatever comes out when he opens his mouth. lol If I remember right tho, the original word is lay. And then there is the chance that I'm dis-remembering all of this. :roll: lol Which has been known to happen.

Glennsallnighter
08-29-2007, 05:24 PM

Its definitely 'sway' in my F1 anyway. I'm watching it as I write this and Glenn :heart: is actually singing PEF! What a coincidence. He also changes 'I've got this feeling I may know you' to 'Something tells me I may know you (singing that line now as I write) in PEF also. But I love the way he sings it anyway. His voice is so smooth it just melts my heart and brings me right back to Dublin 11 June 2006 20:30.... and the rest as they say is history.

Freypower
08-29-2007, 07:05 PM
I think in Dublin's PEF it is 'swing' and in F1 it is 'sway' (both of which I prefer to 'lay' and both of which make more sense in my opinion). But those are live performances. With How Long we are talking about a recording.

Anyway in this case both 'sing' and 'say' make sense. If it's 'sing' the narrator who is feeling somewhat alienated is listening to someone singing 'hey we all feel great' at a party or whatever, and he doesn't feel that way. If it's 'say' he doesn't see how anyone could make such a statement.

glenneaglesfan
09-05-2007, 03:25 PM
It's cool to hear Do Something on YouTube. I tried the link but it was a bit jumpy - just saw the footage of a bird of prey. I love this song, and can't wait to get it on the album when it finally comes out.

Us non-US citizens have missed out on these exclusive releases, but with all our American friends, and the power of Paypal, we can access some of this music at least. Nancy very kindly bought a copy of the Walmart deal on my behalf, and that cd has had good usage since then - in particular I have become completely enamoured with No More Cloudy Days, and the cd has not been out of my car for many weeks.

Oh heck, I've got to edit this to enter the 'swing' 'sway' debate! I'm sure in Dublin he says 'swing'. JMHO!

sodascouts
11-14-2012, 06:16 PM
This original thread obviously got a bit off track, lol, but I wanted to add that I've always thought the lyrics to "Do Something" were perhaps a message from Tim to the rest of the Eagles. They spent so much time puttering around and maybe Tim was trying to tell them "Enough already! Do something!" Of course, it could be applied more broadly, but stuff like "You're not ready for the rocking chair" seems to speak to the aging Eagles.

Houston Debutante
11-26-2012, 06:10 PM
Does anyone know where the idea came from for Don to sing lead on a portion of this? He's never duetted with Timothy before, has he? I love it, I just wish he had sung a full verse instead of just a tiny part. He just sings lead on a small part of What Do I Do With My Heart, too. I wish he had sung more of that also, but I'm not wanting to get off track, so I'll keep it on Do Something.

If this is a message from Tim to the Eagles, thanks Tim, you were very right that they needed to do something and I'm glad they did!!

EaglesKiwi
11-28-2012, 03:19 AM
I love Don's part on this song, and Tim's voice is just beautiful.

I really like the message too - especially the "rocking chair" line!

sad-cafe
06-28-2013, 02:04 AM
for my 500 post, I am going to say this song is becoming one of my favorites.

Love sweet Timothy B but the message speaks to me. I may have an illness that drags me down but I'm not ready for that rockin chair yet.

Prettymaid
06-28-2013, 07:48 AM
Congratulations on 500 SC!

RebeccaLovesEagles
06-28-2013, 08:18 AM
Congratulations:cheers: Sad Cafe :)

Brooke
06-28-2013, 10:44 AM
Congrats on 500 posts s-c!

Love this song too!

SteveJoburg
06-28-2013, 11:37 AM
Superb song.

Not the right thread for this perhaps but LROOE is a superb, superb album, every song worthy of a place in the tracklisting.

Outlawman13
06-28-2013, 01:06 PM
Congrates on the 500 post mark SC! I adore this song and it really gets me motivated to do things. Tim's voice is so lovely in it.

Houston Baby
06-29-2013, 07:01 AM
Congratulations SC!! You Border Rebel!!

sad-cafe
06-29-2013, 01:55 PM
thank you all~

Ive always been a dreamer
06-30-2013, 12:19 PM
Congratulations on becoming a Border Rebel, s-c.

And as far as this song, I love it as well. It reminds me of my Mom everytime I hear it because she used to sing along with it.

cricrichan
07-01-2013, 05:18 PM
for my 500 post, I am going to say this song is becoming one of my favorites.

Love sweet Timothy B but the message speaks to me. I may have an illness that drags me down but I'm not ready for that rockin chair yet.

Well said, SC :hug: ... and congrats on 500!

Love DS as well ... beautiful song and beautiful lyrics :heart: Always makes me cry ...

EaglesKiwi
07-02-2013, 04:00 PM
Superb song.

Not the right thread for this perhaps but LROOE is a superb, superb album, every song worthy of a place in the tracklisting.
Any thread is the right place to say that. :thumbsup:

SC, congrats on becoming a Rebel, you picked a great thread & thought to post for it.

sad-cafe
07-02-2013, 08:51 PM
thank you

I just love any song Sweet Timothy B sings. He has such a gorgeous voice

chaim
12-20-2014, 08:00 AM
This song was mentioned in the LROOE thread. I thought I'd comment here. It's a nice song, but I don't care for the line "I pick up the morning paper; all the news is bad. How did we get on this road we're traveling?" And the reason is simply that even if the earth was 95% paradise, the media would mostly report about the 5% that is chaos. It's not that the world is all bad just because papers say it is.

thelastresort
12-20-2014, 09:12 AM
Indeed, I'm reminded of the 'morning paper' line in Nightingale and Dirty Laundry when I hear that line. I think the premise behind it is correct though.

I will add, I love this song, probably my favoruite TBS Eagles contribution.

Funk 50
12-21-2014, 07:27 PM
I find Do Something a strange Eagles tune.

Don's bridge could be my favourite bit of the whole LROOE album. It's glorious on a par with anything from their entire repertoire.

The rest of the song, that Don seemingly dumped on Timothy, though I'm not sure he really wanted it, I've never wanted to hear again, after the first few occasions, from the 3 track CD that came free, with the special edition of the Farewell One DVD.

I don't like the sentiment, I don't like the lyrics or the tempo or Tim's vocals but that bridge, Wow!

For me it's evidence that Glenn and Don have lost something. They've started writing good half songs where once they made songs that set a standard and retained it.

DJ
12-21-2014, 10:07 PM

I've heard Glenn to sing Earrings Sway instead of Lay, I even asked Jack Tempchin and he told me to ask Glenn. HAHAHA

chaim
12-22-2014, 03:55 AM
I find Do Something a strange Eagles tune.

Don's bridge could be my favourite bit of the whole LROOE album. It's glorious on a par with anything from their entire repertoire.

The rest of the song, that Don seemingly dumped on Timothy, though I'm not sure he really wanted it, I've never wanted to hear again, after the first few occasions, from the 3 track CD that came free, with the special edition of the Farewell One DVD.

I don't like the sentiment, I don't like the lyrics or the tempo or Tim's vocals but that bridge, Wow!

For me it's evidence that Glenn and Don have lost something. They've started writing good half songs where once they made songs that set a standard and retained it.

My memory might fail me, but I remember reading somewhere that Timothy (at least musically) wrote everything except the bridge, which Don wrote.

Funk 50
12-22-2014, 05:32 AM
Musically, maybe Chaim but when the Eagles did their radio promotion for the Long Road Out Of Eden release in 2007, Don rather than Tim spoke about Do Something. I got the impression that it was Don's song, that he was originally to be the lead singer but it got shifted to be one of Tim's two lead vocals. I was hoping Tim would perform, Do Something live at his solo show but he didn't.

Tim just doesn't sound right singing Don's words but I can understand Joe and Tim being reticent about offering their own songs to the Eagles. Judging by Joe's, Pretty Maids and In The City, that have never appeared on a Walsh record, they seem to take over ownership.

12-22-2014, 03:38 PM
This song was mentioned in the LROOE thread. I thought I'd comment here. It's a nice song, but I don't care for the line "I pick up the morning paper; all the news is bad. How diid we get on this road we're traveling?" And the reason is simply that even if the earth was 95% paradise, the media would mostly report about the 5% that is chaos. It's not that the world is all bad just because papers say it is.

chaim - Being that Do Something has a positive message, overall, I never really interpreted this line as being a super negative commentary on the state of the world. I view it more as an expression of the state of journalism, which actually drives home your point. But, of course, your interpretation is also valid.

And F50 - You are entitled to your opinion about whether or not you like this song, but I have to disagree with much of what you wrote here. First of all, based on the few comments made by the band members, I don't think we have enough info to know who contributed most to the lyrics. But, to suggest that Don "dumped the song on Tim" ... I mean REALLY??? I'm not sure where that comes from. And how is this song evidence that Don and Glenn have lost something when Glenn didn't even contribute to the song? And then, I'm further confused when you say in one post that you don't ever want to hear the song again, and then in your next post you said you wished Tim had performed it live? Lastly, it seems to me that it's perfectly reasonable to designate songs as Eagles songs if they appear on an Eagles' album. It doesn't mean that they can't perform the songs solo if they so choose. I'm not trying to pick on you - just trying to clarify where you're coming from here.

Freypower
12-22-2014, 07:03 PM
Musically, maybe Chaim but when the Eagles did their radio promotion for the Long Road Out Of Eden release in 2007, Don rather than Tim spoke about Do Something. I got the impression that it was Don's song, that he was originally to be the lead singer but it got shifted to be one of Tim's two lead vocals. I was hoping Tim would perform, Do Something live at his solo show but he didn't.

Tim just doesn't sound right singing Don's words but I can understand Joe and Tim being reticent about offering their own songs to the Eagles. Judging by Joe's, Pretty Maids and In The City, that have never appeared on a Walsh record, they seem to take over ownership.

Thanks to Dreamer for unlocking this thread.

It should be pointed out that there is a solo version of In The City; it appeared on the Warriors soundtrack before the Eagles recorded it. The same is true of Guilty of the Crime, which appears on the Robocop soundtrack (although Frankie Miller sings lead on it, not Joe). But PMIAR was recorded by the Eagles so of course they would take 'ownership' of it. Why wouldn't they? Same for Last Good Time In Town.

As has been pointed out, as far as we are aware most of Do Something was written by Tim & he should be given credit for it. I think it's a great & unfairly overlooked song which they should have performed live instead of the bland IDWTHAM.

BillBailey1976
12-22-2014, 09:05 PM
The same is true of Guilty of the Crime, which appears on the Robocop soundtrack (although Frankie Miller sings lead on it, not Joe).

Guilty of the Crime was also done by The Bellamy Brothers w/The Bacon Brothers.

Freypower
12-22-2014, 09:52 PM
Guilty of the Crime was also done by The Bellamy Brothers w/The Bacon Brothers.

I was referring to the version asssociated with Joe, not to any cover versions. Joe plays on the Robocop soundtrack verison.

chaim
12-23-2014, 04:28 AM
chaim - Being that Do Something has a positive message, overall, I never really interpreted this line as being a super negative commentary on the state of the world. I view it more as an expression of the state of journalism, which actually drives home your point. But, of course, your interpretation is also valid.

You're probably right. If Timothy wrote the line, I'd say we can't say for sure. But if Don wrote it, your interpretation is definitely the correct one!8)
For some reason I've always thought of it as a Timothy lyric, but perhaps his contribution was mainly the music, except for the bridge.

UndertheWire
12-23-2014, 03:09 PM
I had the impression, possibly from a radio interview, that Do Something was two songs that got merged with Tim having written the verses and Don the chorus.

12-23-2014, 08:14 PM
Hmm - Interesting, UTW. I don't recall any such interview, but I would love to hear anything from any of the band members that sheds some light on who wrote what in the various songs on LROOE. The liner notes for the album don't really tell us much of anything.

Funk 50
12-24-2014, 06:50 AM
I actually woke up this morning with the intention of finding the audio interview about Do Something, done in 2007 when LROOE was released, and accurately transcribing it.

So here it is. Don's words are about 95% accurate, I've cut an unnecessary line from Tim. The broadcasters, (Worldwide exclusive to UK Station, Gold Radio) obviously did some editing too.

This originally turned me off the song but on reflection, it's not so bad. I'll give "Do Something" another chance.

Don:

Tim actually came up with the music for the verses on that song. I had the choruses and I had a lot of the lyrics written.. and I was sort of stuck for a verse pattern... and we were at my studio, one day and he was just in the vocal booth with a guitar just noodling around...and I walked past the door... and I heard him and I said "What is that?" and he said "Oh that's just something I've been toying around with" I said "I think we can use that"

Tim:

I was just toying around in one of the rooms at his studio and he (Don) came walking by and he stopped and he came in and he said "I think those could be the chords to this song that I have a chorus for, called "Do Something". So the genesis lyrically came from him, and the title but from there-on we sat together for a few days and knocked out the lyrics ... and I should mention that Steuart Smith helped to put together the bridge a little bit, musically, he and I did that but it's mostly Don and I.

Don:

I thought about singing it for a while then I said "nah, you know, I want you to sing this Tim," and it's a nice country flavoured ballad. We had an outside musician come in and play the pedal-steel guitar on it.

You know we all come from working-class backgrounds, at least in my case and I'm sure in Timothy's case and Glenn's case and Joe's case when we were growing up, you know you weren't allowed, as a lot of children are today, to wollow in self pity and there wasn't all this analysing and self evaluation... and all this concentration on self... and therapy.. and self improvement books and all that crap. It was just "Ok just shut up! and do something. Yeah! stop whining about it, just get off your arse (english pronounciation) and do something about it, if you don't like the way things are.

So congrats to Tim and Steuart for writing that great bridge. Great singing by Don too of course.

sodascouts
12-24-2014, 11:46 AM
Thanks for taking the trouble to find and transcribe that! It does indeed shed light on the song.

UndertheWire
12-24-2014, 12:02 PM
I think that was the interview I'd heard. I remember the bit about Don hearing Tim noodling but I hadn't taken in that it was only the music and not the lyrics of the verse.

shunlvswx
12-24-2014, 12:09 PM
I have that interview. I got it off a website. It was like maybe 20 something clips. It was a great interview.

I actually like that song. I think more than I Don't Want To Hear Anymore, but I do like both.

sodascouts
12-24-2014, 12:56 PM
If that's Capital Gold I actually have it on my site, but my wretched memory forgot all about it.

Funk 50
12-24-2014, 03:23 PM
Well they kept saying it was a world exclusive so it probably is the same show. I saw a lengthy, but well presented, transcript of all the interviews on an internet site somewhere once. Maybe on an Asian Eagles site but I really can't remember.

The fact that Do Something is largely a Henley song and Tim didn't sing it at his solo show (He sang his other three Eagles tunes) tells me Tim's not comfortable singing it.

sodascouts
12-24-2014, 04:40 PM
Hmm. Interesting observation. I don't know if I'd go so far as to assume he's not comfortable singing it; perhaps he just feels that without Don singing the bridge as he does on the album, it wouldn't sound right.