PDA

View Full Version : What should Bernie's 'Eagle' Status be?

Ive always been a dreamer
05-25-2014, 02:43 PM
There was a discussion in another thread that made me ponder this topic. How should we classify Bernie's status with the band? In the first print of the official History of the Eagles tour book, Bernie is listed with the touring band members as a 'special guest'. I wonder if that is still the case in the European tour book? Some of you Borderers that are going to some upcoming shows will be able to answer that for us soon enough.

I guess when they first brought Bernie back on for this tour, it was likely on a trial basis. To this fan, things appear to be working out very well with him, as he has been signed on for the European leg and even the Australian leg going into next year. I'm wondering if there has been any discussion or consideration to Bernie rejoining the band as an official Eagle? To me, that would be awesome. Regardless, as VA mentioned in the other thread, it's hard to think of him now as a former or an ex-Eagle. I am now thinking of him as an 'honorary Eagle' at the very least.

I'd be interested to hear what others think about Bernie's band status.

WalshFan88
05-25-2014, 02:54 PM
I think it depends on Bernie really... Does he want to continue playing with the band for the long term/forseeable future? Or does he want to wrap up this HOTE tour and call it done... Also, is the band going to tour past HOTE? I can't see him being an Eagle again IMHO unless it's the former. Otherwise it's more of a special guest, etc etc.

I certainly hope it's a case of the former. Anyone here who knows me knows I am a Joe Walsh fan to the core and believe his joining the band was their wisest move. But I enjoyed Bernie (moreso than I'd have guessed) at the St. Louis show last year and I certainly would like for him to keep touring with them as long as possible. And coming from me that's a big statement. I think the whole Bernie and Joe playing together is a cool new dynamic and something that was really never done in the past, even when Joe would sit in with the Eagles in the 70s when he was still in the band.

UndertheWire
05-25-2014, 03:11 PM
As he only plays for half the set I don't see him having full "Eagle" status. I wish a little more was made of him in the promotional materials, though. "Special guest" is fine as it really is special for those of us who know his name. I still can't believe I've seen an "Eagles" with three out of four original members playing so many songs from "Desperado".

What I'm more interested in is the possibility that they've recorded some new music. If Bernie was part of that, it might change his status.

VAisForEagleLovers
05-25-2014, 04:26 PM
Oooh...you bring up a good point, UTW, that would be totally awesome. New music, of course, and to have Bernie be a part of it.

I don't know, the fact they don't make more of a deal of him being there tells me they have no intentions of giving him full Eagle status. Although, the way they have the setlist set up, he's not really part of their second set and first encore history. Of course, Tim and Joe play the first set, so...

Maybe I should take a nap ( :D ) so I can think of a good word that describes his status. I guess if all else fails we can be creative and make one up!

MaryCalifornia
05-25-2014, 04:26 PM
Bernie serves a purpose and fits in as far as the "History" of the Eagles tour. I would be surprised if the collaboration went beyond that into future recordings or other tours. After all they have been through, I can't envision any scenario where they make him a "member" from a business standpoint. Regardless of what his role is with them in the future, he will be a special guest or "musician", like Steuart or the backing musicians. He won't be "an Eagle", even though this is weird, because he obviously WAS, but it was a looooong time ago.

But, who knows with these guys! It is fun to contemplate the possibilities...I for one would love to see Bernie included.

Freypower
05-25-2014, 07:23 PM
I tend to agree with all these comments & would say that he is an honorary Eagle for the HOTE tour. We don't know what will happen after HOTE; we don't know if they will ever record again & whether or not Bernie would be involved (my opinion is I would have thought not).

DJ
05-25-2014, 10:59 PM
I agree with all the comments to. He is definately and "special guest" but will he continue on only he will know. I do wish he would record with them again, that would be magical.

VAisForEagleLovers
05-26-2014, 11:14 AM
If it were a regular job, he'd be like a part-time employee.

GettheLeadonOut!!
05-29-2014, 01:22 PM
Bernie IS an Eagle and should be given full status (albeit only if he wants it). I also see no reason why he couldn't stay up there to perform songs he wasn't involved in the recording (after all it never stopped Tim or Joe). Bernie is an incredible musician who can strum along to anything and his backing vocals are top notch. imo, this band should become a fivesome again

UndertheWire
05-29-2014, 02:16 PM
That would make me happy, especially if he inspired them to record something new.

Tiffanny Twisted
05-29-2014, 06:12 PM
If it were a regular job, he'd be like a part-time employee.
good analogy VA.

I think new music would be awesome but I am not holding my breath .

I think he must be happy with the deal if he isto continue touring...whatever they call him...he knows what he is and what he did in contribution to music.
I think jmo it comes a point in your life where you just wanna play great music and enjoy yourself and not worry about what labels are put upon you. I read an interview where he stated that he does fine with the royality checks each month

MaryCalifornia
05-29-2014, 11:42 PM
Bernie IS an Eagle and should be given full status (albeit only if he wants it). I also see no reason why he couldn't stay up there to perform songs he wasn't involved in the recording (after all it never stopped Tim or Joe). Bernie is an incredible musician who can strum along to anything and his backing vocals are top notch. imo, this band should become a fivesome again

Tim or Joe??? How could they NOT be playing ALL of the songs? Who would play them? Their positions in the band can not in any way be compared to Bernie's, in fact, they are the exact opposite - they replaced those members who quit. Agree with everything you say about Bernie's musicianship and singing, but you're going to need to provide more information to support the idea that he is entitled to a partnership share right now. Why do you think that?

Zanny Kingston
05-31-2014, 07:52 PM
I think jmo it comes a point in your life where you just wanna play great music and enjoy yourself and not worry about what labels are put upon you. I read an interview where he stated that he does fine with the royality checks each month[/quote]

I agree with TT on this one. As much as I would love to see Bernie become a full fledged Eagle again, He may just be having a great time on tour without all the pressures etc, I think Bernie is a very shrewd guy and as long as everyone is happy playing music for the fans then its all good.

GettheLeadonOut!!
06-02-2014, 06:39 PM
Tim or Joe??? How could they NOT be playing ALL of the songs? Who would play them? Their positions in the band can not in any way be compared to Bernie's, in fact, they are the exact opposite - they replaced those members who quit. Agree with everything you say about Bernie's musicianship and singing, but you're going to need to provide more information to support the idea that he is entitled to a partnership share right now. Why do you think that?

I think you are missing my point. Bernie sits out the entire 2nd set because he was not involved in that era. Joe could just as easily sit out the entire 1st set because it was not his era. Do I want them to do that? Hell no! I love Joe! I'm just saying why not have Bernie stay up there for the 2nd set? And better yet, why not just make him a full member again. Should he be compensated the same as Tim and Joe who have toiled for so long in the group? Probably not, but let the lawyers figure it out. If they asked Felder to re-join would you put up a fight as well?

MaryCalifornia
06-02-2014, 06:57 PM
I'm not putting up a fight! You said he should be given full status "if he wants it". I think Don and Glenn probably have him right where they want him. You made it sound like they're not being fair to him, or that they are going against what he DESERVES. I think it would be great if he, Felder, and Randy all were involved!

EDIT: And, I think Steuart deserves to not be given the boot. So what do you think about having all eight former and current members playing for the whole show? (I know, it would be awesome, but that's not gonna happen even if they are all available and willing)

EDIT, EDIT: I do think I missed your point. You're just talking about him staying out on stage during shows, not about the business relationship and being a full-fledged Eagle. I agree it's a shame he disappears, I would like him to stay out for the whole show, but I certainly don't think that would be something that he deserves or that Don and Glenn owe him because he was a founding member. He could play other instruments so you don't have 4 guitarists.

GettheLeadonOut!!
06-03-2014, 03:23 PM
I'm not putting up a fight! You said he should be given full status "if he wants it". I think Don and Glenn probably have him right where they want him. You made it sound like they're not being fair to him, or that they are going against what he DESERVES. I think it would be great if he, Felder, and Randy all were involved!

EDIT: And, I think Steuart deserves to not be given the boot. So what do you think about having all eight former and current members playing for the whole show? (I know, it would be awesome, but that's not gonna happen even if they are all available and willing)

EDIT, EDIT: I do think I missed your point. You're just talking about him staying out on stage during shows, not about the business relationship and being a full-fledged Eagle. I agree it's a shame he disappears, I would like him to stay out for the whole show, but I certainly don't think that would be something that he deserves or that Don and Glenn owe him because he was a founding member. He could play other instruments so you don't have 4 guitarists.

Thanks Mary, I wish Glenn and Don would consider giving him full member status but it is complicated and I'm sure Bernie doesn't want to ruffle feathers with the guys (Joe & Tim) who have been so loyal to them for decades now. However, they could consider keeping him up there for the whole show, his backing vocals really add to the blend and he obviously would be able to play along with any and all songs in the second set.

And all eight guys out there? Bring it on!

Freypower
06-03-2014, 06:57 PM

There were/are seven Eagles, not eight.

thelastresort
06-03-2014, 07:05 PM
I think Steuart Smith was being referred to as the eight.

That is a point though, if Randy had been well enough to tour (I'm assuming the offer was there as per Bernie), what would they actually all do? Would there ever be a point of too many cooks spoiling the broth re: guitarists?

There is the example of Yes back in the early 1990s. They had a reunion of practically every member and they sounded wonderful, but they basically doubled up on every instrument instead, and their music was weird and unique enough to forge parts that weren't there initially. Food for thought anyway!

Freypower
06-03-2014, 07:25 PM
MC referred to 'former & current members'. Steuart is no more a member of the Eagles than Scott Crago is.

MaryCalifornia
06-04-2014, 01:21 AM
Forgive me for being lazy within the context of the discussion we were having. I should have said seven former and current Eagles plus Steuart Smith would result in eight people playing instruments out on the front of the stage, not counting the backing musicians like Scott Crago who play instruments behind the eight guys who would be in the front.

MaryCalifornia
06-04-2014, 01:51 AM
The Border has been exhausting me lately. I'm going to take a little break.

UndertheWire
06-04-2014, 02:51 AM
Forgive me for being lazy within the context of the discussion we were having. I should have said seven former and current Eagles plus Steuart Smith would result in eight people playing instruments out on the front of the stage, not counting the backing musicians like Scott Crago who play instruments behind the eight guys who would be in the front.
Thanks for that clarification!

I just know that I was thrilled to see Bernie because he brings something special. I love his voice and I can even tolerate a little banjo.

Out of Control
12-09-2017, 11:37 PM
I know I'm reviving a long-dormant thread but being a new member, I'm wondering if there was ever any conclusion if Bernie officially rejoined as a full member for the HOTE tour.

sodascouts
12-10-2017, 02:01 AM
Not that I'm aware of.

Welcome!

Freypower
12-10-2017, 04:51 PM
I know I'm reviving a long-dormant thread but being a new member, I'm wondering if there was ever any conclusion if Bernie officially rejoined as a full member for the HOTE tour.

Given that he isn't in what passes for the band now, I would say not.

Out of Control
12-10-2017, 10:15 PM
Well I know not now, but I wasn't sure if he would count for 2013-2016. How did they introduce the band at the Grammys? My cable feed cut it off so I don't know if they mentioned Bernie Leadon separately or included him in "Eagles".

Freypower
12-10-2017, 11:11 PM
Well I know not now, but I wasn't sure if he would count for 2013-2016. How did they introduce the band at the Grammys? My cable feed cut it off so I don't know if they mentioned Bernie Leadon separately or included him in "Eagles".

As far as I recall he wasn't mentioned separately. His status was 'special guest' while he was with them. I know no more than that.