PDA

View Full Version : Favorite TV Shows

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Zanny Kingston
03-28-2014, 10:19 AM
I do watch some tv- probably much more than I should!

My favorite show is The Blacklist- A previous poster mentioned it can be gruesome and sometimes it is- but its well done for a network show.

I also watch:

Bluebloods- love the family dinners
Big Bang Theory
NCIS
Bones
White Collar
Covert Affairs
Rizzoli and Isles
Royal Pains

The last 4 are cable network shows that are on sporadically through the year.

We tend to record the shows on the DVR and watch them on Saturday Morning or Sunday night.

I also watch the local and national news-

sodascouts
03-30-2014, 07:51 PM
Anyone out there watch the show Portlandia? It's on the Independent Film Channel - it is hilarious.

I have several friends who love it. I've put it in my Netflix queue but haven't gotten around to it yet. I plan on it, though!

ktdids
03-30-2014, 08:00 PM
Sunday night, and it's PBS time again with Call the Midwife and Selfridges!

tjh532
03-30-2014, 08:04 PM
I have several friends who love it. I've put it in my Netflix queue but haven't gotten around to it yet. I plan on it, though!

Let me know what you think of it. It can be a little off-color at times (which doesn't bother me) but is a great parody of a certain type of culture.

secret squirrel
03-31-2014, 10:42 AM
Addicted to nashville
Love it

Me too. In the UK, it comes on between The Good Wife and Southland. Three good shows in a row. Have to tape them as we're usually out Thursday nights.

SS
xx
http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/opinion8-must-see-tv.html

Freypower
03-31-2014, 05:50 PM
We have been watching Les Revenants (The Returned), the French 'resurrection' drama which the makers of the US series Resurrection deny they based it on. I recommend it. It gives me a chance to hear colloquial French as opposed to the formal language I studied in high school. The acting is great & the scenery (in the Alps) magnificent.

Brooklyn Roads
04-06-2014, 01:24 PM
I've been enjoying "Bates Motel" Anyone else out there who also watches?

Tiffanny Twisted
04-06-2014, 05:43 PM
Me too. In the UK, it comes on between The Good Wife and Southland. Three good shows in a row. Have to tape them as we're usually out Thursday nights.

SS
xx

I SO LOVE IT. the next two weeks are re runs though which sucks,

secret squirrel
04-10-2014, 07:49 AM
We have been watching Les Revenants (The Returned), the French 'resurrection' drama which the makers of the US series Resurrection deny they based it on. I recommend it. It gives me a chance to hear colloquial French as opposed to the formal language I studied in high school. The acting is great & the scenery (in the Alps) magnificent.

Totally agree. Spoiler alert ... in tiny type that follows.

The ending is a little disappointing.

SS
xx

secret squirrel
04-10-2014, 07:52 AM
I SO LOVE IT. the next two weeks are re runs though which sucks,

I've rarely looked forward to a show so much. Complete escapism and there's usually some good music too. I was surprised to learn that Gunnar is played by a British guy from Kent. I had no idea. Can Americans tell?

SS
xx

NYC Fan
04-10-2014, 08:44 AM
Mad Men starts again on Sunday and I cannot wait. Seems like forever since its been on. Such a well written and acted show.

I saw a guy who was one of my favorite characters in the first few seasons when I was at the theater a few weeks ago. Wanted to go up and ask him if he's ever coming back, but I resisted :-)

Tiffanny Twisted
04-10-2014, 07:59 PM
I've rarely looked forward to a show so much. Complete escapism and there's usually some good music too. I was surprised to learn that Gunnar is played by a British guy from Kent. I had no idea. Can Americans tell?

SS
xx

so is scarlett they both have accents.,..

zeldabjr
04-10-2014, 08:30 PM
Mad Men starts again on Sunday and I cannot wait. Seems like forever since its been on. Such a well written and acted show.

I saw a guy who was one of my favorite characters in the first few seasons when I was at the theater a few weeks ago. Wanted to go up and ask him if he's ever coming back, but I resisted :-)

oh I love it too!!...but I only got into it a few seasons ago...need to somehow see it from the start...Jon Hamm...is my...second favorite man..lol....

tjh532
04-13-2014, 12:19 AM
Since you are watching Mad Men, which is on AMC, I was wondering if you caught the pilot for Turn? I saw it tonight for the first time and I think it looks like a great show. I am excited to see more. But then, I love anything that has to with history.

sodascouts
04-14-2014, 10:18 PM

SS
xx

Only when the accent is done badly. For instances, on Downton Abbey, it was obviously a Brit playing the American valet. He over-enunciated everything and sounded really unnatural and exaggerated - trying way too hard!

On the other hand, when you tell a lot of Americans that Hugh Laurie is a Brit, their minds are blown. His American accent is that good. I actually use clips of him talking in my History of the English Language class to show the contrast in accents between Americans and Englishmen.

Freypower
04-14-2014, 10:26 PM
For those who watch The Walking Dead, can I say that Andrew Lincoln who plays Rick is British too. His father-in-law is Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull!

tjh532
04-16-2014, 12:51 AM
Anyone watch the new show Fargo? Billy Bob Thornton is creepy as all get out in it. I loved the movie, and seeing Martin Freeman (from Sherlock) do a Minnesota accent is great!

zeldabjr
04-16-2014, 04:10 AM
Since you are watching Mad Men, which is on AMC, I was wondering if you caught the pilot for Turn? I saw it tonight for the first time and I think it looks like a great show. I am excited to see more. But then, I love anything that has to with history.

no I didn't see it...but will check it out!

Brooke
04-16-2014, 10:01 AM
Anyone watch the new show Fargo? Billy Bob Thornton is creepy as all get out in it. I loved the movie, and seeing Martin Freeman (from Sherlock) do a Minnesota accent is great!

Shoot, I missed it. I liked the movie, but.....a little crazy? :lol:

Freypower
04-16-2014, 05:50 PM

Martin Freeman to me will always be Tim from the British version of The Office.

sodascouts
04-16-2014, 06:35 PM
I might check it out just for Martin Freeman. Love him!

tjh532
04-16-2014, 07:35 PM
no I didn't see it...but will check it out!

Its about the first spy ring, set during the American Revolution. Pretty good so far!

tjh532
04-16-2014, 07:36 PM
Shoot, I missed it. I liked the movie, but.....a little crazy? :lol:

Yeah, it is violent, like the movie. It is rated M for all the reasons you can imagine.

secret squirrel
04-18-2014, 03:49 PM
so is scarlett they both have accents.,..

woah. scarlett's australian. i never knew. who wants avery & juliette to get together?

SS
xx
http://pistoriusontrial.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/who-put-story-in-pistorius-my-thoughts.html

bashful badger
04-18-2014, 04:01 PM

We saw him at the theatre playing an American in Clybourne Park (not sure if that's the right name) - hadn't thought he'd be any good and he was a revelation. Loved the play too.

Freypower
04-18-2014, 09:54 PM
Totally agree. Spoiler alert ... in tiny type that follows.

The ending is a little disappointing.

SS
xx

I only just noticed this post. Remember it was only the first series.

Freypower
04-18-2014, 09:54 PM
woah. scarlett's australian. i never knew. who wants avery & juliette to get together?

SS
xx
http://pistoriusontrial.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/who-put-story-in-pistorius-my-thoughts.html

What is the actress' name please? I'm sorry but I couldn't work out which show you were talking about so I could look her up.

Tiffanny Twisted
04-19-2014, 09:32 AM

SS
xx
I so love avery and yep he softens Juliette and she needs not to be so threatened by Scarlette ( little wounded bird that they have turned her into)
I loved it when she said that he had her heart and that scared her so volunerable.
they are doing a Nashville roadshow where the actors will sing live.

They are coming o the tower theater in upper darby pa got a ticket alert

I so love this show and how bout rayna and luke ??

Witchy Woman
04-19-2014, 12:27 PM
Martin Freeman to me will always be Tim from the British version of The Office.

Agreed. I saw a preview and said "Hey !! It's Tim from The Office !!" Lol !!

secret squirrel
04-20-2014, 11:15 AM
What is the actress' name please? I'm sorry but I couldn't work out which show you were talking about so I could look her up.

Clare Bowen. Apparently she was in Home and Away (like Melissa George - she was amazing in it and will always be Angel from Home and Away to me).

SS
xx
http://pistoriusontrial.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/who-put-story-in-pistorius-my-thoughts.html (http://bmaycreative.com/tag/shakey-graves/)

secret squirrel
04-20-2014, 11:18 AM
I so love avery and yep he softens Juliette and she needs not to be so threatened by Scarlette ( little wounded bird that they have turned her into)
I loved it when she said that he had her heart and that scared her so volunerable.
they are doing a Nashville roadshow where the actors will sing live.

They are coming o the tower theater in upper darby pa got a ticket alert

I so love this show and how bout rayna and luke ??

I really like Avery too. And Deacon. I'd like Rayna and Deacon to get back together although I feel sorry for Teddy. I want Gunnar to stay with Zoe(y).

Would love to see all the actors do a show together.

SS
xx
http://pistoriusontrial.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/who-put-story-in-pistorius-my-thoughts.html (http://bmaycreative.com/tag/shakey-graves/)

Houston Baby
04-23-2014, 08:27 AM
Is anybody else watching The Voice this season? I am having a hard time picking a favorite. Though I am cheering for the kid from LaPorte TX since that is near here.

Houston Baby
04-28-2014, 08:24 PM
One of the contestants on The Voice, Kat Perkins just sang Landslide. She did a good job. However it goes without saying that nobody can sing it like Stevie. I think it was very courageous of Kat to sing the song. She is on Adam's team and Adam said it was a perfect, beautiful song, one of his favorites and he wanted to hear it sung by Kat.

sodascouts
04-28-2014, 10:05 PM
Adam has good taste in music! That's a song that requires a really emotion-laden vocal. Did she pull off that aspect, or just hit all the notes well?

WalshFan88
04-29-2014, 04:18 AM
I've watched it on and off. Definitely Kat is my favorite. Her cover of Magic Man (Heart) the other night gave me chills. And I'm a HUGE Ann Wilson/Heart fan.

I missed Landslide last night but I was out and about and then I went to bed early. :( I'll try to YouTube it.

Houston Baby
04-29-2014, 09:32 AM
I LOVED Kat's cover of Magic Man! Kat is definitely a rocker! Just my opinion but I liked that cover better than the Landslide cover. Landslide was an emotional song for her as she explained in the rehearsal. Kat said she really identifies with Stevie especially the time period when Stevie wrote Landslide. Kat is holding down a job while she is trying to break into the music biz & like Stevie at the time contemplating on whether to continue with music or not.

Austin - let me know your opinion if you see it.

WalshFan88
04-29-2014, 05:19 PM
Just watched it.

I agree HB - I liked it but it wasn't deep enough IMO. She'd been better off doing one of Stevie's more "rockin'" numbers like Gold Dust Woman or Edge Of Seventeen (my personal fav Stevie "rock" tune and one I love to play live when I have someone to sing it!).

On the other hand, Magic Man gave me chills and she nailed it. It would be cool to hear her sing more Heart songs, or perhaps some Pat Benatar (Heartbreaker comes to mind) or even Joan Jett.

sodascouts
05-02-2014, 06:10 PM
I just watched The White Queen miniseries (based on Phillippa Gregory's novels) and I was entertained. While it certainly wasn't 100% historically accurate, it still was well-done and I think series like that inspire people to learn more about medieval England.

tjh532
05-02-2014, 10:06 PM
I just watched The White Queen miniseries (based on Phillippa Gregory's novels) and I was entertained. While it certainly wasn't 100% historically accurate, it still was well-done and I think series like that inspire people to learn more about medieval England.

I thought it was fairly well done, too. Have you read any of the books?

sodascouts
05-03-2014, 10:59 AM
I've read The White Queen and The Red Queen, and am working on The Kingmaker's Daughter. I've bought The White Princess to read afterwards.

I'm worried I won't like the latter, though. Making her fall in love with Richard III was the series' biggest narrative misstep, I believe. I hope she doesn't spend too much of the book mourning him.

tjh532
05-03-2014, 02:33 PM
I've read the White Queen and enjoyed it. Were the others as good? I like Phillippa Gregory's books, even though they do take artistic license with what really happened.

As for her falling in love with Richard, maybe Gregory thought that would be the only way that she would want to be with a man who was the 'enemy', so to speak. I find it interesting that they left out his crooked spine (he was called a hunchback). I doubt that he would have been quite as attractive to her.

I thought that they handled the disappearance of the two princes well in regards to the fact that no one really knows who killed them. It was highly improbable that one of them got away. I wish that she wouldn't have done that. There is no historical proof that one of them lived.

DJ
05-03-2014, 07:03 PM
I love Blue Bloods. Tom Selleck plays an excellent police chief.

Zanny Kingston
05-03-2014, 08:13 PM
Agreed DJ- We recorded it last night and are watching it right now!

sodascouts
05-03-2014, 10:42 PM
I've read the White Queen and enjoyed it. Were the others as good? I like Phillippa Gregory's books, even though they do take artistic license with what really happened.

I enjoyed The Red Queen as well. While she's far less sympathetic, it's interesting nonetheless.

As for her falling in love with Richard, maybe Gregory thought that would be the only way that she would want to be with a man who was the 'enemy', so to speak. I find it interesting that they left out his crooked spine (he was called a hunchback). I doubt that he would have been quite as attractive to her.

Shakespeare described him as a hunchback, but his crooked spine was more indicative of scoliosis. Regardless of semantics, the fact that he wouldn't have been physically attractive is undeniable. Still, even if he were a hottie and she discounted the rumor about him killing her younger brothers as is the case in Gregory's scenario, he was DEFINITELY the man who executed her half-brother and uncle. There is nothing sexy about that!

I thought that they handled the disappearance of the two princes well in regards to the fact that no one really knows who killed them. It was highly improbable that one of them got away. I wish that she wouldn't have done that. There is no historical proof that one of them lived.It may be improbable, but there was a real instance of a man who claimed to be that surviving second son and even led several uprisings in the name of York after Henry Tudor took the throne. While his claim is largely discounted by historians, Gregory is treating it as truth.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perkin_Warbeck

Personally, my money's on Richard III having killed both boys, but we'll probably never know.

sodascouts
05-09-2014, 10:12 PM
My friend Kristin convinced me to watch Game of Thrones, and thanks to my recent subscription to HBO in order to watch the Hall of Fame ceremony at the end of the month, I can stream it from the HBO site.

I just finished Season 1 and I don't know if I can continue. So much gore and death... it gets rave reviews, but I don't know if I'm cut out for it.

DJ
05-10-2014, 12:41 PM
I used to watch True Blood religiously but it has gotten very old. This is the last season, thank goodness. I do wonder what will happen to end it all. My prediction is all the Vamp's will turn mortal... Bill and Sookie will get back together.

tjh532
05-10-2014, 01:56 PM
I enjoyed The Red Queen as well. While she's far less sympathetic, it's interesting nonetheless.

Shakespeare described him as a hunchback, but his crooked spine was more indicative of scoliosis. Regardless of semantics, the fact that he wouldn't have been physically attractive is undeniable. Still, even if he were a hottie and she discounted the rumor about him killing her younger brothers as is the case in Gregory's scenario, he was DEFINITELY the man who executed her half-brother and uncle. There is nothing sexy about that!

It may be improbable, but there was a real instance of a man who claimed to be that surviving second son and even led several uprisings in the name of York after Henry Tudor took the throne. While his claim is largely discounted by historians, Gregory is treating it as truth.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perkin_Warbeck

Personally, my money's on Richard III having killed both boys, but we'll probably never know.

I watched a documentary a month or so ago on Netflix following the story of how they discovered the remains of Richard III. It was under a parking lot - haha, but had originally been the sight of a church. They determined that he did indeed have scoliosis, but they didn't find any evidence of a withered hand/arm.

I didn't know that there was someone who claimed to be one of the lost princes and had led uprisings. I guess it makes for a more interesting story line to have one of them live. And for what it's worth, I agree that Richard is probably the one who had them killed. Back then anyone who was a threat to, or had a claim to, the throne was usually done away with.

tjh532
05-10-2014, 02:06 PM
My friend Kristin convinced me to watch Game of Thrones, and thanks to my recent subscription to HBO in order to watch the Hall of Fame ceremony at the end of the month, I can stream it from the HBO site.

I just finished Season 1 and I don't know if I can continue. So much gore and death... it gets rave reviews, but I don't know if I'm cut out for it.

I quite like GOT, but the violence is really in your face. That and the fact that there are women's breasts everywhere you look :hilarious: I don't mind when it's part of the story, but a lot of them are there for window dressing (for lack of a better term!)
Season 2 is good, but if you decide to watch it, skip the 'red wedding'. I didn't know what was coming, and it was very difficult to watch.
My favorite is Daenerys Targaryen. She starts to really come into her own. Talk about girl power! Her story line at the end of the second season is great.

DJ
05-13-2014, 04:50 PM
I tried to start watching Penny Dreadful on Showtime and couldn't finish it. It's creepy and hard to follow. Perhaps I'll try again.

sodascouts
05-13-2014, 04:56 PM
I quite like GOT, but the violence is really in your face. That and the fact that there are women's breasts everywhere you look :hilarious: I don't mind when it's part of the story, but a lot of them are there for window dressing (for lack of a better term!)
Season 2 is good, but if you decide to watch it, skip the 'red wedding'. I didn't know what was coming, and it was very difficult to watch.
My favorite is Daenerys Targaryen. She starts to really come into her own. Talk about girl power! Her story line at the end of the second season is great.

I decided to take your advice. I just look away and fast forward all the violent scenes and ridiculously explicit sex scenes, and I can get through it (plus I get through it much more quickly - I'm already on Season 3 lol). Of course, I can't ff past all the "window dressing" nudity so I just have to deal with that.

I haven't heard of Penny Dreadful, but I don't have Showtime, so I guess it's just as well!

I'll be discontinuing HBO after this month, too. I don't need to spend $18 a month on a television channel when there are tickets to be bought!

DJ
05-13-2014, 06:25 PM
I decided to take your advice. I just look away and fast forward all the violent scenes and ridiculously explicit sex scenes, and I can get through it (plus I get through it much more quickly - I'm already on Season 3 lol). Of course, I can't ff past all the "window dressing" nudity so I just have to deal with that.

I haven't heard of Penny Dreadful, but I don't have Showtime, so I guess it's just as well!

I'll be discontinuing HBO after this month, too. I don't need to spend $18 a month on a television channel when there are tickets to be bought!

I too have been thinking of cancelling HBO/Showtime all the same stuff over and over and over................Too expensive too.

tjh532
05-14-2014, 12:10 AM
I'm hoping it won't be long until we get a la cart television. We just pay for the channels we watch, and forget the rest. My kids are grown, so I don't need 25 channels of cartoons and Disney/Nickelodeon shows. Same with 80 channels of music. I would pay for HBO and Showtime if they were more affordable.

Tiffanny Twisted
05-14-2014, 09:48 AM
well we don't do cable for the reason its too expensive and not what it was originally intended to be in the form we now have it

for now we are watching pawn stars .
I really love the idea of sitting down and watching the show you want one after the other .
Its too hard to sit to watch what I want to see when its on.

although,,,,i kinda like sponge bob square pants but only if a certain little boy is in the room singing and dancing along with it..lol

Tiffanny Twisted
05-14-2014, 09:49 AM
I love Blue Bloods. Tom Selleck plays an excellent police chief.
ok tom selleck is a good "anything" in my opinion.
and I love Donnie Walberg too

ktdids
05-14-2014, 10:57 AM
Anyone have one of those box things like Roku or the Amazon one? I'm curious to see what that's all about. One of the local PBS stations is using a refurbished Roku box as part of a pledge offer. I'm kind of tempted, even though I'm sure the new box is cheaper than the refurbished one, and it's the programing they're offering that I'm paying for.

tjh532
05-14-2014, 02:54 PM
Not sure about Roku, but we have Netflix and love it! We spend more time watching that than anything on DirecTV. They have a wide variety. Hulu is good too, especially if you are mostly interested in watching more current episodes. Netflix is only $8.00/month for us.

Witchy Woman
05-14-2014, 06:39 PM
Really disappointed one of my favorite shows, Legit, was cancelled. Boardwalk Empire's last season is this year as well. Why is it shows I like get cancelled and garbage shows seem to go on forever ? Damn shame.

DJ
05-14-2014, 06:41 PM
I'm hoping it won't be long until we get a la cart television. We just pay for the channels we watch, and forget the rest. My kids are grown, so I don't need 25 channels of cartoons and Disney/Nickelodeon shows. Same with 80 channels of music. I would pay for HBO and Showtime if they were more affordable.

You would think by now some person, smarter than myself, would come up with ala cart TV......

DJ
05-14-2014, 06:42 PM
Really disappointed one of my favorite shows, Legit, was cancelled. Boardwalk Empire's last season is this year as well. Why is it shows I like get cancelled and garbage shows seem to go on forever ? Damn shame.

Damn, I had no idea this was the last season!! I love this show, it not only is good to watch but does have some history.....:-x

tjh532
05-15-2014, 06:29 PM
You would think by now some person, smarter than myself, would come up with ala cart TV......

They are trying to get something like that going, but the cable companies have some very powerful lobbyists. It is something that would have to be done and regulated by the government. Because, you know, the government needs to control everything out there!:eyebrow:

sodascouts
05-31-2014, 06:14 PM
I really like Avery too. And Deacon. I'd like Rayna and Deacon to get back together although I feel sorry for Teddy. I want Gunnar to stay with Zoe(y).

Would love to see all the actors do a show together.

SS
xx

Add me to those who have gotten totally hooked on Nashville! I'm late to the party but I just started a free trial of Hulu Plus and decided to watch this because JD Souther was in it. Now, I'm in it for the storylines, even though Souther seems to be MIA.

Rayna and Deacon have such a Stevie / Lindsey vibe... I love it!

Ive always been a dreamer
05-31-2014, 07:20 PM
Yep - I also love Nashville. This and Dallas are the only shows that I watch regularly on TV. I must have a thing for shows named after cities. :grin: Anyway, like most everyone, I'm hoping Rayna and Deacon will get together. Also rooting for Avery and Juliette. However, one of the most interesting and complex characters is Scarlett to me - not to mention that I love her voice. I'm pulling for her to get her act together, stay in Nashville, and to get back with Gunnar.

eaglesfan12
06-04-2014, 01:29 PM
I like the mentalist. Modern family. Law order suv.
And hannibal. Mads plays a great hannibal lector.
Ncis (mark harmon 1) major crimes. Golden girls.quantum leap

sodascouts
06-14-2014, 10:30 PM
Just spent the whole day marathoning Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D and although it started slow, the last few episodes had me on the edge of my seat! I'm glad it's been renewed - it'll be interesting to see how they handle all the twists and changes. Fitz better be OK!

prayfordaylight
06-16-2014, 09:41 AM
Does anyone else watch Orange Is The New Black? I binged Season 2 as quickly as I could last week and decided to go back and watch Season 1 again.

sodascouts
06-16-2014, 06:03 PM
So many of my friends love it that I've queued it up on Netflix, but I haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

Game of Thrones on the other hand... intense ending last night.

WalshFan88
06-19-2014, 09:57 PM
I'm having a hard time finding new TV shows I like. I'm just not a TV show guy. All my faves are gone (CSI: Vegas with Grissom, CSI: Miami, Emergency!, Full House, All In The Family, etc) and I just don't get into reality shows or the other kinds.

I'm more of a movie guy and to be honest a lot of new movies disappoint me.

I'm starting to feel like a bit stuck in the past and a bit nostalgic. I'm already there with music, might as well be for film too. :hilarious:

sad-cafe
06-28-2014, 02:18 AM
I like Big Brother I the summer time my guilty pleasure

DJ
06-28-2014, 02:34 PM
I just finished watching season 2 of Orange is the New Black, I'm truely addicted to this show!

Tiffanny Twisted
06-28-2014, 07:11 PM
I'm hooked on boardwalk empire but it was only free on amazon prime for the first season..
bummer big time..
waiting for a sale at barnes and noble ..maybe I can pick it up on dvd

sodascouts
07-22-2014, 10:10 PM
I'm going to DragonCon in August and although I've resisted it for quite some time, I finally decided to give Doctor Who a chance. I watched the old classic series thanks to DailyMotion, and frankly was largely unimpressed although there were a few things I'd liked. Still, overall, I found it rather tiresome. By the time Colin Baker was the Doctor, I had to force myself to watch it out of a sense of obligation to my friend.

I finally got through them, and then.. I started watching the revived series.. WOW, the difference in quality is STAGGERING. I was BLOWN AWAY. I'm only on the second season, but I'm absolutely loving it. NOW I understand what all the fuss was about! Consider me a newly converted Whovian.

Prettymaid
07-22-2014, 11:01 PM
I recently finished the entire Dexter 8 season series in 6 weeks! I have to admit it was like missing old friends when it was over. Can't believe how much emotion I invested in those characters!

sodascouts
07-23-2014, 10:34 PM
Dexter gets rave reviews, but it might be a bit too gruesome for a wimp like me!

Prettymaid
07-24-2014, 08:31 AM
Dexter gets rave reviews, but it might be a bit too gruesome for a wimp like me!

Maybe it was because I was watching 1-4 shows per day, depending on my schedule, but I really miss the characters of Dexter and his sister, Deb, much more than if I was watching one episode per week on TV. I thought the acting was superb, even if the plots were usually unbelievable.

As far as gruesome - the dead body scenes shown during his job with the police department were worse than the ones where he is killing his victim, but yes - probably not for somebody who has trouble seeing those kinds of scenes. I, on the other hand, had more trouble initially dealing with Deb's constant potty mouth, although I have to admit that by the end of the series it became kind of endearing.

zeldabjr
07-24-2014, 07:49 PM
my friend keeps telling me I "must" watch Breaking Bad...but from her descriptions...not sure I want to...

Witchy Woman
07-25-2014, 01:10 AM
my friend keeps telling me I "must" watch Breaking Bad...but from her descriptions...not sure I want to...

Yeah you do. One of the best shows. Ever.

MaryCalifornia
07-25-2014, 01:06 PM

I started watching Breaking Bad on Netflix last week and I can't stop. I'm watching three episodes per night after everyone else is in bed. I am in the middle of Season 3. I can't stop watching. Did I say I can't stop? Totally obsessed. I wish I had watched it when it was on, but at least now I can watch them back-to-back and don't have to wait a week or season!

I'm thinking Orange is the New Black is next, followed by House of Cards, and then Dexter.

sodascouts
07-25-2014, 05:03 PM
Those are all on my Netflix queue as well, but finding the time.... thank goodness we can stream them at our convenience!

secret squirrel
07-29-2014, 01:17 PM
Yep - I also love Nashville. This and Dallas are the only shows that I watch regularly on TV. I must have a thing for shows named after cities. :grin: Anyway, like most everyone, I'm hoping Rayna and Deacon will get together. Also rooting for Avery and Juliette. However, one of the most interesting and complex characters is Scarlett to me - not to mention that I love her voice. I'm pulling for her to get her act together, stay in Nashville, and to get back with Gunnar.

Oh I love Dallas too - but it hasn't started again here yet. BB is doing her next Dallas blog at the mo.

But what about Will? I like Gunnar with Zoey but still have a hankering after Gunnar/Will as they're such good friends.

Don't like what they've done to Maddie this season though. She's just so unfeeling to Teddy.

I love Scarlett's voice but not her character. She's so whiny and needy and totally overreacted to Gunnar/Zoey.

SS
xx
http://secretsquirrelshorts.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/doll-by-doll-i-never-saw-movie-more.html

secret squirrel
07-31-2014, 11:40 AM
Me again. Anyone know if there is a forum similar to this for Nashville? I would love to be part of that. I found one but it only had 3 messages. I love The Border so much - great job to all of you in charge. Where would be without it?

SS
xx
http://secretsquirrelshorts.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/doll-by-doll-i-never-saw-movie-more.html

bashful badger
08-01-2014, 08:06 AM
Oh I love Dallas too - but it hasn't started again here yet. BB is doing her next Dallas blog at the mo.

SS
xx

Here's my latest blog on Dallas if anyone interested -

http://bashfulbadgersblog.wordpress.com/2014/07/29/josh-henderson-no-one-looks-better-in-a-vest/

love
BB

tjh532
08-01-2014, 05:19 PM
Anyone else watch the show Longmire? I love it, it's one of my favorites. I went home to Montana for a visit, and my Dad, sister and I were deciding what night we wanted to go to dinner. We all said "Can't go Monday - Longmire is on!" lol! We don't typically like the same shows, but we all like that one.

sodascouts
08-04-2014, 11:17 PM
I don't know of a forum for Nashville, but there are some show reviews that have discussions in the comments on sites like the AV Club, I believe.

But what about Will? I like Gunnar with Zoey but still have a hankering after Gunnar/Will as they're such good friends.

Don't like what they've done to Maddie this season though. She's just so unfeeling to Teddy.

I love Scarlett's voice but not her character. She's so whiny and needy and totally overreacted to Gunnar/Zoey.

I'm not into Will right now. I think they could have done something dramatic with his character by having him deal with prejudice openly, but instead we have a bunch of backdoor booty calls and a ridiculous fake marriage with a horribly annoying character. Maybe we'll get more next season. I don't want him to "turn" Gunnar. I hate those kind of stories.

Maddie, Zoey, and Scarlett all annoy the heck out of me right now.

What keeps me watching the show is the Rayna / Deacon relationship. I LOVE them!!

MaryCalifornia
08-09-2014, 12:44 AM
Wait, are we talking about the Dallas from the '80s, with JR, etc??? Is there a new Dallas? Why does the Badger have a blog????? Help meeee...

Anyhoo, I just finished Breaking Bad (watched the entire series in about two weeks, 3 episodes per night) and I feel like PM after Dexter ended, I am depressed and missing those people. Now I need to decide between Dexter, House of Cards, and the Sopranos, and I have to decide soon because I need to soothe my PBBW. Anybody want to start one of these series with me and we can discuss, like a book club??!!

Soda, if you don't want to be up until 1:00 a.m. every night, don't start Breaking Bad. If you want to see the best series you've ever seen, start it! It's pretty remarkable, despite the violence. Yes, there is violence, and I never watch violent movies (Mad Men and Downtown Abbey are my style), but it is nonetheless something special.

Prettymaid
08-09-2014, 09:01 PM
I want to watch Breaking Bad, but I don't subscribe to Netflix and it's not available through my cable subscription either. Everybody I know who has watched it says it's really good. :(

MC, I'm glad you can relate to my depression after finishing Dexter. Like I said, when you are 'with' these characters 2-3 hours a day, you do get attached. I don't know anything about the other shows you mentioned, but I hope you pick Dexter next. It's been a few weeks since I've finished, but I'd be glad to discuss it here with you. :D

Brooke
08-11-2014, 03:23 PM
Wait, are we talking about the Dallas from the '80s, with JR, etc??? Is there a new Dallas? Why does the Badger have a blog????? Help meeee...

MC, where have you been! The new Dallas has been on for at least 2 seasons now! And, it is starting up again next Monday night, the 18th on TNT! There is also going to be a marathon of this spring's season. It's in the wee hours, maybe you can dvr to catch up!

And believe me, the new additions on the show are as bad as JR ever thought about being! :crazy:

ETA: Here's a link to when the shows are coming on:

http://www.tvguide.com/tvshows/dallas/tv-listings/327128

Lisa
08-11-2014, 03:41 PM
A new Dallas? I always liked the old TV series "Dark Shadows." It was on until the early 'seventies. I don't think I understood all of the plots, but I remember watching it!

DJ
08-11-2014, 05:26 PM
Has anyone seen The Knick on Cinemax? It's set in the 1900's and it's about medicine at the Knickerbocker Hospital in New York. It stars Clive Owen, it is so intense. Saw first showand there is a new show every friday. It's great.

tjh532
08-11-2014, 06:50 PM
Has anyone seen The Knick on Cinemax? It's set in the 1900's and it's about medicine at the Knickerbocker Hospital in New York. It stars Clive Owen, it is so intense. Saw first showand there is a new show every friday. It's great.

I watched it and I loved it! Although the surgical scenes were hard to watch. I only saw it because Cinemax had a free preview weekend. To see the rest I'll have to wait for Netflix to pick it up or get the DVD eventually. Bummer :(

MaryCalifornia
08-12-2014, 10:34 PM
Thanks, Brooke! That would explain the blogging going on! Who knew? I'm out of it...

Starting House of Cards tonight. Then Dexter, PM. Need to split up all of the violence a little!

Prettymaid
08-13-2014, 11:07 PM
Thanks, Brooke! That would explain the blogging going on! Who knew? I'm out of it...

Starting House of Cards tonight. Then Dexter, PM. Need to split up all of the violence a little!

Keep us posted. What's House of Cards about? Gambling?

ziesha098
08-14-2014, 05:42 AM
It could be Vampire Diaries and Nikita

tjh532
08-15-2014, 05:04 PM
Keep us posted. What's House of Cards about? Gambling?

It's about Politics - It's next in line for me on Netflix :)

secret squirrel
09-02-2014, 11:21 AM
Great news for us in the UK. Dallas is back this week. Finally! And so is Wentworth Prison. No good TV for ages and then two shows at once.

SS
xx
http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/kick-em-when-theyre-up-backlash.html

Brooke
09-03-2014, 09:50 AM
SS, are you getting last winter's episodes of Dallas now or this fall's that have just started about 3 weeks ago?

secret squirrel
09-04-2014, 04:29 PM
SS, are you getting last winter's episodes of Dallas now or this fall's that have just started about 3 weeks ago?

All I know is it's Season 3 and it started much earlier in the States. On in half an hour ...

SS
xx
http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/kick-em-when-theyre-up-backlash.html

sodascouts
09-04-2014, 11:17 PM
Doctor Who is back! I watched the second episode of the new season on the big screen at Dragon Con. I like the new Doctor already!

Brooke
09-05-2014, 09:54 AM
Doctor Who is back! I watched the second episode of the new season on the big screen at Dragon Con. I like the new Doctor already!

Soda, what is this 'Dragon Con' thing you went to?

I've never watched Doctor Who!

sodascouts
09-05-2014, 10:26 PM
It's a science fiction / fantasy fan convention - the kind where you can dress up in costumes and meet celebrities. I even met Patrick Stewart!

http://www.dragoncon.org/

The Disco Strangler
09-06-2014, 08:26 PM
Murdoch Mysteries. I can hardly wait for season nine to start in October!

DJ
10-15-2014, 04:02 PM
Starting a new show on Showtime "The Affair" It stars Dominic West and Maura Tierney. It is so good, a love affair wrapped up in a murder. There are two families involved that live on Montauk. It's just started so I'll let you know. Very juicey and suspensful.

Brooke
10-16-2014, 10:12 AM
I saw it advertised and thought it looked good, but I don't get Showtime. Boo!

secret squirrel
11-16-2014, 01:44 PM
Spoiler alert ...

Can't believe they cancelled Dallas! And we missed 3 episodes while we were away. Set video (yes we still have video) but they altered digital channels.

Looks like they brought Drew back (good) then killed him off (bad).

I think the plot has got too convoluted and we don't need the evil drug runner lot at all but it never stood a chance of attracting ratings once they moved it to midnight. No one was going to catch it by chance.

Oh well. Hopefully Nashville will be back soon.

SS
xx
http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/glenn-frey-cowboy-casanova.html

Desperada
11-16-2014, 05:28 PM
I agree SS, and I think they killed Christopher:sad:
Do you think it could be saved?

Brooke
11-17-2014, 12:44 PM
I guess they think there is a possibility of another station picking it up. We'll see.

Surely it wasn't actually Christopher that got blown up in the car....boo if it was!

secret squirrel
11-19-2014, 12:49 PM
Uh-oh - we haven't seen that in the UK yet but the rumour is that Jesse Metcalfe wanted out so it probably is Christopher.

There is a SaveDallas campaign that Patrick Duffy and Josh Henderson are supporting but in the UK it got low ratings.

SS
xx
http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/glenn-frey-cowboy-casanova.html

tjh532
11-30-2014, 03:10 AM
I was sad to see A&E cancel Longmire, which is one of my favorites. I was glad to see that Netflix has picked it up and there will be a third season.

I love the fact that Netflix and Hulu have come along. For only $10 / month I can watch a ton of shows, plus their original series are really high quality. And they are way less than HBO/Showtime/Cinemax. I'm hoping for the day (soon I hope) where providers are a la cart, and we can just pay for the stations we watch.

11-30-2014, 01:07 PM
That's good news. I still don't think anyone has picked up Dallas yet. I was really hoping for it - seems a shame to end it this way.

DJ
12-05-2014, 07:58 PM
So more on the new show The Affair I started watching. I say started because it got Old very fast. I wouldn't recommend. But I've started watching another one on HBO Getting On. It's dry humor but in short it's about a Dr and nursing staff taking care of elderly patients or hospice. I know that doesn't sound funny, and it's not haha funny. It is more true about what happens when we grow older or have a terminal illness. All the little things that make a hospital run including how they get money for unnecessary studies and how we the patients are paying for these stupid studies pne way or another. Also it's touching because like I said a lot of it is true to life. The Dr. is played by Laurie Metcalf (she played Rosannes nutty sister) she's still plays a quirky Dr. and Niecy Nash is one of the nurses. If you've ever taken care of an elderly person or been in the hospital it's a show to see. IMO

sodascouts
12-08-2014, 01:58 AM
Sounds interesting!

Nashville sure had a heck of a trailer for its upcoming episode. Since Rayna shut down Deacon after his heartfelt confession of love, it looks like he might relapse! I hope not.

tjh532
02-14-2015, 03:36 PM
Oh my goodness. I was looking for something new to watch on Hulu, and I remembered several of you on here talking about Nashville, so I decided to give it a try. I love it! I'm just about through the entire first season. I love the characters, and the music is great. Good thing so many of you on here have such great taste, and I can take your recommendations :)

Tiffanny Twisted
02-15-2015, 10:08 AM
Yep I love nashville

VAisForEagleLovers
02-16-2015, 01:53 PM
Most of you already know that except for sports, I don't turn the TV on. However, I got addicted to HGTV while at the nail salon a while back and so I've been watching lots of Love It Or List It and Fixer Upper. Of course, Buying and Selling and Property Brothers. Seriously, why couldn't I be about twenty years younger or Drew and Jonathan about twenty years older?! There were certainly no hot twins like that on TV back when I was in my mid-30's.

Brooke
02-16-2015, 06:02 PM
HGTV is one on my very favorite channels, VA! Love all those shows you mentioned. If there isn't something else on that I regularly watch, I'm off to HGTV!

sodascouts
02-16-2015, 06:53 PM
Oh my goodness. I was looking for something new to watch on Hulu, and I remembered several of you on here talking about Nashville, so I decided to give it a try. I love it! I'm just about through the entire first season. I love the characters, and the music is great. Good thing so many of you on here have such great taste, and I can take your recommendations :)

Glad you like it!

WalshFan88
04-14-2015, 08:37 PM
The Voice just did Hotel California.

Not happy they didn't play the full solo but I knew they couldn't for time purposes. :hilarious: Singers did well.

Tiffanny Twisted
04-18-2015, 09:59 AM
I'm a big nashville fan.

Love this binge watching thing.....

Sons of anarchy right now ...love katy segal

DJ
04-23-2015, 10:28 PM
Orange is the New Black is comin back to Net Flix, it's a real watcher.

L101
04-24-2015, 01:47 PM
Orange is the New Black is comin back to Net Flix, it's a real watcher.

I love Orange is the new black - I can't wait for it to be back, I just hope that Season 3 is not as disappointing as Season 3 of House of Cards - I gave up after the third episode! :-(

DJ
04-24-2015, 03:29 PM
I watched HAPPYish last night, it's pretty funny and kinda dark. It's on showtime. I'll have to see #2 to see if I'll continue watching.

AlreadyGone95
05-31-2015, 03:24 PM
My top 12:
1. M*A*S*H
2. Golden Girls
3. Diagnosis Murder
4. Reba
5. Ghost Hunters
6. Andy Griffith show
7 Star Trek TNG
8. Full House
9. Murder, She Wrote
10. That Metal Show
11. Deadliest Catch
12. The Nanny

Explanations for my top 2:
M*A*S*H is my favorite because I love how it can be humorous and serious at the same time. It's very realistic and you feel like you're a part of the 4077th.
Golden Girls, what can I say? Witty, sophisticated, and goofy all rolled into one. I've loved this show since I was a young kid. I must admit that I understand the humor alot more now as an adult.

bluefeather
05-31-2015, 06:07 PM
I REALLY appreciate seeing Star Trek on your list AG, it's my favorite by far though would put the original series first and then the next generation

I can't come up with a definite top ten at least for now but here's some of what I watch

X-files
Criminal Minds
Grey's Anatomy
Holby City
Scrubs
Heartland

oh I forgot: STAR TREK THE ORIGINAL SERIES AND THE NEXT GENERATION:heart::heart::heart::partytime:

AlreadyGone95
05-31-2015, 06:14 PM
I REALLY appreciate seeing Star Trek on your list AG, it's my favorite by far though would put the original series first and then the next generation

I can't come up with a definite top ten at least for now but here's some of what I watch

X-files
Criminal Minds
Grey's Anatomy
Holby City
Scrubs
Heartland

oh I forgot: STAR TREK THE ORIGINAL SERIES AND THE NEXT GENERATION:heart::heart::heart::partytime:

The original series would be in my top 15. I like Picard more than Kirk. I will say that the TOS movies were better than the TNG ones.

DJ
05-31-2015, 07:31 PM
So I've gotten hooked on a new mini series on NBC. Aquarius with David Duchovny. It is really good. Takes you through the time of Charlie Madman Manson but it also delves into other police cases. David plays a cop and has a very handsome young sidekick named Grey Damon. A must watch. If you have on Demand you can watch all 12 episodes at once... David is still pretty ripped for his age. hahaha :hilarious:

DJ
05-31-2015, 07:32 PM

X-files
Criminal Minds
Grey's Anatomy
Holby City
Scrubs
Heartland

BF they are making a new X-Files I just read about it... Mulder and Fox on board! Yah.

DJ
05-31-2015, 07:34 PM
My top 12:
1. M*A*S*H
2. Golden Girls
3. Diagnosis Murder
4. Reba
5. Ghost Hunters
6. Andy Griffith show
7 Star Trek TNG
8. Full House
9. Murder, She Wrote
10. That Metal Show
11. Deadliest Catch
12. The Nanny

Explanations for my top 2:
M*A*S*H is my favorite because I love how it can be humorous and serious at the same time. It's very realistic and you feel like you're a part of the 4077th.
Golden Girls, what can I say? Witty, sophisticated, and goofy all rolled into one. I've loved this show since I was a young kid. I must admit that I understand the humor alot more now as an adult.

Don't you just love Ghost Hunters, some of the places they go truly give me the creeps!

bluefeather
06-01-2015, 02:08 PM
yeah I've heard about the new X-Files, I just don't now how far they've gotten with it yet but :partytime: anyway:)

Brooke
06-01-2015, 04:08 PM
So I've gotten hooked on a new mini series on NBC. Aquarius with David Duchovny. It is really good. Takes you through the time of Charlie Madman Manson but it also delves into other police cases. David plays a cop and has a very handsome young sidekick named Grey Damon. A must watch. If you have on Demand you can watch all 12 episodes at once... David is still pretty ripped for his age. hahaha :hilarious:

I really liked this show and am ready to see the next one!

AlreadyGone95
06-02-2015, 12:25 PM
Don't you just love Ghost Hunters, some of the places they go truly give me the creeps!

Oh heck yeah! I got into the show by visiting St. Augustine, Florida back in 2008. They had investigated the city's lighthouse the year before. I went to the lighthouse (I had been there once before around the year 2000). At the gift shop was that episode of ghost hunters. I begged my mom to buy it for me, and she did. I've been hooked ever since!
Btw, I can easily see that lighthouse being haunted. It is very creepy even in the daytime. :fear:

NightMistBlue
06-02-2015, 02:35 PM
AG, I don't usually admit to watching the Andy Griffith Show but since you do, I guess I can too. :) I only started getting into it recently when I read it's one of Randy Meisner's all-time favorite shows.

The other Eagles connection to the show is through "The Darlings," a fictional band played by some members of The Dillards, whom Bernie Leadon later played with and Don Henley was a fan of. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFyMvT7mUcA

AlreadyGone95
06-02-2015, 03:05 PM
I've been watching the Andy Griffith since I was born. It's very popular down here because people here long for that kind of life again. The middle age adults miss the kind of life that existed before the big boom of technology over the past 20 years.
I didn't know that members of the Dillards played it that episode. It's one of my favorites!

DJ
06-03-2015, 04:34 PM
I really liked this show and am ready to see the next one!

I have on Demand viewing an saw all 12 episodes it's a cliff hanger!!!!

secret squirrel
07-31-2015, 12:17 PM
Wrote a blog on Must-see TV

which is a bit different from my favourite shows. To it, I would add

The Killing (Danish version)
Spiral (French)
Poldark (Aidan Turner is a total babe)
Generation War (very moving)
Buffy
Angel
and of course History of the Eagles, which rekindled my interest in the band.

A bit disappointed in the new season of Nashville so far although I love this song by Layla (Blind).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5WyMBPXndo

SS
xx
http://secretsquirrelshorts.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/john-malkovich-as-unfathomable-gilbert.html

NightMistBlue
07-31-2015, 01:13 PM
Nice blog, Squirrel! Extra points for quoting The Smiths in your Eagles entry :)

OT: raising an eyebrow at the body language in the HFO-era photo, with Felder literally standing apart from the rest of the band.

DJ
08-01-2015, 03:40 PM
I've recently been watching reruns of Ghost Whisperer. I really like Jennifer Love Hewitt.

secret squirrel
08-02-2015, 03:29 PM
Nice blog, Squirrel! Extra points for quoting The Smiths in your Eagles entry :)

OT: raising an eyebrow at the body language in the HFO-era photo, with Felder literally standing apart from the rest of the band.

Thanks, NMB - love your avatar, btw.

Hadn't noticed that about DF. A picture speaks a thousand words.

SS
xx
http://secretsquirrelshorts.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/john-malkovich-as-unfathomable-gilbert.html

DJ
08-02-2015, 07:12 PM
New cult favorite Ray Donovan with Liev Schreiber I saw him in A Walk on the Moon with Diane Lane and it is so good. A must see for people my age. Takes you back to the simpler days.

secret squirrel
08-03-2015, 12:38 PM
New cult favorite Ray Donovan with Liev Schreiber I saw him in A Walk on the Moon with Diane Lane and it is so good. A must see for people my age. Takes you back to the simpler days.

I love that movie - made me wish I'd experienced the sixties. Totally fell for the Viggo Mortensen character.

SS
xx
http://thetomschillingpoems.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/napola-1.html

DJ
08-08-2015, 03:33 PM
On to watching last season The Knick new season starts this fall. Love Clive Owen as Dr Thackery.

Keith
08-11-2015, 08:58 AM
The West Wing is my favorite. Seven seasons of A-movie quality entertainment. The 2016 Presidential race has got me in the mood to watch it again.

randygirl13
10-19-2015, 11:37 PM
Doctor Who, Pretty Little Liars, Monk, and some others

UndertheWire
10-20-2015, 06:45 AM
I missed The West Wing when it was first shown and I've been catching up over the last month. I'm on Season 6, so I must like it. It's funny that four presidential candiates have been shown and I've had crushes on three of them at one time or another - Alan Alda in MASH, Gary Cole in Midnight Caller and Jimmy Smitts in LA Law. The only one who misses out is Tim Matheson and he was my best friend's pick while I chose Kurt Russell in The Quest.

Keith
10-20-2015, 09:03 AM
I missed The West Wing when it was first shown and I've been catching up over the last month. I'm on Season 6, so I must like it. It's funny that four presidential candiates have been shown and I've had crushes on three of them at one time or another - Alan Alda in MASH, Gary Cole in Midnight Caller and Jimmy Smitts in LA Law. The only one who misses out is Tim Matheson and he was my best friend's pick while I chose Kurt Russell in The Quest.
You just brought back some memories. I watched The Quest as a kid, and completely forgot about it. That is understandable, but I also forgot about Midnight Caller, which wasn't that long ago. Maybe my romance with beer is affecting my memory.
The West Wing skyrocketed the bar for TV quality. You may have a taste for Aaron Sorkin's style. After you have treated yourself to the rest of The West Wing, you should try his other shows: The Newsroom, Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip, & Sports Night. Of course, there is also the movie that paved the way for The West Wing: The American President.

UndertheWire
10-20-2015, 10:45 AM
You just brought back some memories. I watched The Quest as a kid, and completely forgot about it. That is understandable, but I also forgot about Midnight Caller, which wasn't that long ago. Maybe my romance with beer is affecting my memory.
The West Wing skyrocketed the bar for TV quality. You may have a taste for Aaron Sorkin's style. After you have treated yourself to the rest of The West Wing, you should try his other shows: The Newsroom, Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip, & Sports Night. Of course, there is also the movie that paved the way for The West Wing: The American President.
Shockingly, it's more than 25 years since Midnight Caller. I wish it was available on DVD, though I have most of the episodes on dodgy recorded-from-the-tv tapes. I've seen all of The Newsroom, but I'll look out for the others.
ETA: I've seen The American President, too. I've ordered a used DVD box set of Studio 60 but Sports Night is a bit pricey. Also, I need to get my life back!

AlreadyGone95
10-20-2015, 11:22 AM
I'm developing a love for The Waltons. I've been watching it nearly every day. There's a Britcom called Are You Being Served? that I've come to love thanks to PBS playing an episode every Saturday night. (my appreciation for PBS has grown alot this year). A modern yv show that I've become interested in is The Middle. It's kind of stupid at times, but usually pretty funny.

UndertheWire
10-20-2015, 11:32 AM
Gosh, I used to watch The Waltons. It was one of those shows that I'd think I didn't like and yet whenever I saw it, I'd get drawn in.

AlreadyGone95
10-20-2015, 11:35 AM
Gosh, I used to watch The Waltons. It was one of those shows that I'd think I didn't like and yet whenever I saw it, I'd get drawn in.

That's exactly what happened to me. :)

Brooke
10-20-2015, 03:30 PM
I always loved the Waltons, but I'm one that doesn't like to watch reruns. It's really hard for me, for some reason. I will surf forever rather than watch a rerun! :roll:

Maybe I will try it next time I can't find anything else that's interesting!

Keith
10-20-2015, 03:48 PM
Shockingly, it's more than 25 years since Midnight Caller. I wish it was available on DVD, though I have most of the episodes on dodgy recorded-from-the-tv tapes. I've seen all of The Newsroom, but I'll look out for the others.
ETA: I've seen The American President, too. I've ordered a used DVD box set of Studio 60 but Sports Night is a bit pricey. Also, I need to get my life back!

I guess a quarter of a century "ain't what it use to be." Thanks for the nostalgia trip on The Quest. In my memory, the name of that show was Two Persons, which was Russell's character. Good luck with getting your life back. I'm still finding myself.:grin:

maryc2130
10-20-2015, 04:56 PM
You guys have touched on some of my favorites. I have always loved The Waltons. The British sitcom Are You being Served? is hysterical, although I think I like Keeping Up Appearance and Waiting for God even better. And All Creatures Great and Small, which is a BBC drama series about famous vet James Herriot.

But The West Wing is my favorite TV series of all time.

Lately, I've been watching reruns of Medium with Patricia Arquette. It's pretty good.

Keith
10-21-2015, 07:33 AM
You guys have touched on some of my favorites. I have always loved The Waltons. The British sitcom Are You being Served? is hysterical, although I think I like Keeping Up Appearance and Waiting for God even better. And All Creatures Great and Small, which is a BBC drama series about famous vet James Herriot.

But The West Wing is my favorite TV series of all time.

Lately, I've been watching reruns of Medium with Patricia Arquette. It's pretty good.

I'm with you on The West Wing. The Christmas episodes have even become part of our holiday traditions.

DJ
10-22-2015, 02:18 PM
Nothing much too watch right now, except Sleepy Hollow. I must admit the first year was the best. Year three a little boring, but the lead male character who plays Crane is gorgeous! Ray Donovan is over, gosh I love Liev Schriber. Always can turn on Big Bang Theory for a laugh.

Brooke
10-22-2015, 02:31 PM
I'm trying to watch Nashville this year if I can stand to watch Juliette/Hayden. She is so mean and self centered I can hardly stand her! I hope Avery dumps her for good!

I love Big Bang Theory too!

L101
10-22-2015, 02:40 PM
I'm trying to watch AHS:Hotel but at the moment it's a very WTF?? kind of program - not sure if I'll watch the rest of it though. My favourite season was Coven - that was brilliant especially with Stevie Nicks and the music ;-)

I grew up watching Are You Being Served - there is a movie made in 1977, I think, where they went to Spain on holidays - it's very funny from what I can remember.

I am going to make the West Wing my Christmas box set binge watch this year. I never got round to watching it when it was on TV but better late than never!!

DJ
10-23-2015, 10:20 PM
I'm trying to watch AHS:Hotel but at the moment it's a very WTF?? kind of program - not sure if I'll watch the rest of it though. My favourite season was Coven - that was brilliant especially with Stevie Nicks and the music ;-)

I grew up watching Are You Being Served - there is a movie made in 1977, I think, where they went to Spain on holidays - it's very funny from what I can remember.

I am going to make the West Wing my Christmas box set binge watch this year. I never got round to watching it when it was on TV but better late than never!!

Lacken101 I watch AHS Hotel Also, and I said WTF! But now that I've watched the 3rd one it's more interesting of a mystery. Pretty graphic for tv though!

bluefeather
10-24-2015, 08:05 AM
I've gotten hooked on Criminal Minds again. I think it's a terrific show but at times quite graphic and VERY disturbing. Seriously creeps me out sometimes but can't stop watching.:eyebrow:

AlreadyGone95
10-24-2015, 12:44 PM

I haven't seen the movie yet. It was on youtube a few months ago, but I never got a chance to watch it. I'll have to make time in near future if it's still on there.

Brooke
10-26-2015, 01:10 PM
I've gotten hooked on Criminal Minds again. I think it's a terrific show but at times quite graphic and VERY disturbing. Seriously creeps me out sometimes but can't stop watching.:eyebrow:

I used to watch it but had to quit cause it is so creepy. It's like, are there really people out that that do these kinds of things?! To me, it just gives weirdos new ideas! :fear:

Love Shemar Moore though and wish he was in a not so weird show!

EasilyTaken
10-28-2015, 02:16 AM
I used to watch it but had to quit cause it is so creepy. It's like, are there really people out that that do these kinds of things?! To me, it just gives weirdos new ideas! :fear:

Love Shemar Moore though and wish he was in a not so weird show!

I like this one, too. Unfortunately, it's not just weirdos, it's psychos and lunetics, as well. But, good news is, there are those who will turn over every last slime covered rock to track them down and nail them to the wall. From one dawn to the next. On it.

And, if they all looked like Agent Morgan, the world would be a happier place. Not to mention, intelligence is so hot! :heart:

NOLA
10-28-2015, 10:09 AM
Lacken101 I watch AHS Hotel Also, and I said WTF! But now that I've watched the 3rd one it's more interesting of a mystery. Pretty graphic for tv though!

Count me in as another fan of AHS. I've been watching the anthology since the first season, and it's something that I really do enjoy on primetime TV. Although, I have to agree with both of you in that "Hotel" is a little bit off center, so to speak. :crazy:

AlreadyGone95
10-29-2015, 02:53 PM
My mom likes to watch shows from her childhood. One of the shows she watches is Adam 12. It comes on at noon (2 episodes). I'm usually eating lunch while the show is on, and I must admit that I've taken a liking to it.

Brooke
01-06-2016, 02:32 PM
So the Sundance channel has started showing Breaking Bad from the beginning and my curiosity made me watch the first four episodes last week. :shock:

OMG, it's so violent! I had no idea what to expect and knew mostly nothing about what it was even about. I just knew that it won awards and some of you here recommended it. After those episodes, I didn't think I wanted to watch any more, but I find myself curious about what is going to happen next! Shall I watch tonight or give it up? That whole scene with the dissolving the body in the bath tub pretty much did me in! Yuk! But yet...........

Usually, I just look away during gory scenes, but this show seems to have a lot of them! Hmmmmm.......

Freypower
01-06-2016, 06:01 PM
We have it but we haven't watched it yet.

I am gearing up for watching the BBC's remake of my beloved War & Peace. The previews of it haven't been encouraging. It's only a six parter whereas the book to put it mildly is very long & the original BBC series ran for at least 20 episodes. My fear is that all that nasty 'war' stuff will be removed & we will just get the romantic parts. War & Peace is not Jane Austen. :weep:

Witchy Woman
01-06-2016, 08:53 PM
So the Sundance channel has started showing Breaking Bad from the beginning and my curiosity made me watch the first four episodes last week. :shock:

OMG, it's so violent! I had no idea what to expect and knew mostly nothing about what it was even about. I just knew that it won awards and some of you here recommended it. After those episodes, I didn't think I wanted to watch any more, but I find myself curious about what is going to happen next! Shall I watch tonight or give it up? That whole scene with the dissolving the body in the bath tub pretty much did me in! Yuk! But yet...........

Usually, I just look away during gory scenes, but this show seems to have a lot of them! Hmmmmm.......

Yes !! Stick with it !! One of the best shows ever !! I will admit as far as gory goes you ain't seen nothin' yet. But, it's integral to the storyline. Their vocation demands it. Fantastically written and acted.

NightMistBlue
01-07-2016, 10:39 AM
My mom likes to watch shows from her childhood. One of the shows she watches is Adam 12. It comes on at noon (2 episodes). I'm usually eating lunch while the show is on, and I must admit that I've taken a liking to it.

I have the same affliction :) Also, it makes me laugh when they bust a hippie on acid, I don't know why.

MeTV used to show Adam 12 at about 4 in the afternoon, so I could catch it whenever I had a day off or got home early for some reason.

It's on Antenna now? Good to know.

AlreadyGone95
01-07-2016, 12:46 PM
I have the same affliction :) Also, it makes me laugh when they bust a hippie on acid, I don't know why.

MeTV used to show Adam 12 at about 4 in the afternoon, so I could catch it whenever I had a day off or got home early for some reason.

It's on Antenna now? Good to know.

Not Antenna. I don't have digital tv, only my uncle does. It comes on some channel called cozi tv or FETV, which is channel 82 on dish network. For the past week, though, Hazel has been in the timeslot of Adam 12. I haven't seen it come on at any other time.

NightMistBlue
01-07-2016, 01:01 PM
Hazel! I haven't seen that since I was wee child.

When I'm at my mom's house I watch Fantasy Island on Cozi TV. It's so stupid that it's weirdly compelling. Maybe that's why people watch the Kardashians.

AlreadyGone95
01-07-2016, 01:08 PM
Fantasy Island is cool because of all of the celebrities that guest starred on it. Plus, "de plane, de plane". I watch Murder She Wrote alot on cozi tv.

The first time I watched Hazel, I said "that's Mrs. Claus" because Shirley Booth (Hazel) voiced Mrs. Claus in The Year Without a Santa Claus claymation cartoon. That's what I knew her for, lol.

NightMistBlue
01-07-2016, 02:42 PM
She had a kind of abrasive voice as I recall, kind of like Gladys Kravitz on Bewitched.

maryc2130
01-07-2016, 08:26 PM
AW, Gladys Kravitz. I love the first few seasons of Bewitched - the black and white with the "old" Darrin.

Glennhoney
01-10-2016, 12:41 PM
Has anybody watched "Bloodline" on Netflix?....great show..

01-10-2016, 01:13 PM
Nope GH, but I've heard some really good things about the show.

The only ysitcom I currently watch on TV is The Big Bang Theory. The only drama I watch regularly is Nashville and occasionally Law & Order SVU. And the only reality show I watch is The Voice. That's pretty much it for me and TV except I will probably watch some of the NFL playoffs and, definitely, The Super Bowl.

DJ
01-10-2016, 09:31 PM
Gotta love Big Bang Theory, the older ones are the best.

I'm currently watching the new season of Shameless on Showtime.
Gotta love those ruthless Gallager's.

UndertheWire
02-23-2016, 08:36 AM
This doesn't fit under the title "favourite" but I wondered if anyone had watched Vinyl? It's the Scorses/Jagger series set in the 70s New York record industry. I made it through the pilot - just - but I'm not sure I want to continue. Almost the only bright spot was hearing a relatively obscure Wishbone Ash song (on the radio when the protagonist is in his car just before he "discovers" disco). It's dingy and dark with everyone swearing, lots of drugs, business meetings in the middle of an orgy. What's missing is any sense of joy. If Almost Famous is too feel-good, this is the opposite.

buffyfan145
02-23-2016, 11:18 AM
I love "Bloodline"!!! :D One of my favorites from Netflix and have became such a huge fan of Ben Mendelson from it, and already was a fan of the rest of the cast especially Kyle Chandler (Friday Night Lights) and Linda Cardellini (Freaks and Geeks).

I love TV and I used to actually be a spoiler mod on a forum similar to this for the show LOST (had the same username). LOST was such a huge experience for me and the first time I got involved heavily with the online fandom. Also love "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" (again my username), Once Upon a Time, The Flash, Seinfeld, The Mindy Project, The Office, Boardwalk Empire, Orphan Black, Outlander, Crime Story, Downton Abbey, Gotham, all the Sherlock Holmes shows, 24, Prison Break, Peaky Blinders, Master of None, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt and the Marvel/Netflix shows (Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Agent Carter, soon Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and The Punisher). Plus, so many other classic sitcoms, soaps, and shows over the years.

About "Vinyl", I haven't seen it yet but I have the first two eps on my DVR. My Dad really likes it as he loves Martin Scorsese's films, especially "Goodfellas", though my Mom was hoping more for an "Almost Famous" kind of story. I however also love Marty's movies/shows, especially "Boardwalk Empire" where he mixed fictional and real life characters, so I'm interested to see how this show goes. It already got renewed for a 2nd season as well.

DJ
02-23-2016, 03:20 PM
This doesn't fit under the title "favourite" but I wondered if anyone had watched Vinyl? It's the Scorses/Jagger series set in the 70s New York record industry. I made it through the pilot - just - but I'm not sure I want to continue. Almost the only bright spot was hearing a relatively obscure Wishbone Ash song (on the radio when the protagonist is in his car just before he "discovers" disco). It's dingy and dark with everyone swearing, lots of drugs, business meetings in the middle of an orgy. What's missing is any sense of joy. If Almost Famous is too feel-good, this is the opposite.

I started watching UW just to hear some old tunes. Bobby Cannavale is better playing a gangster such as the one he played on Boardwalk Empire. I don't know, it kinda sucks you in, but not sure I'll continue...I do love Olivia Wilde as his wife character. I was looking at all the album covers on the wall which was cool. And they said the line Just flew to LA to deliver a check to Geffen. So maybe it'll get better.

Right now I'm fascinated with Lucifer. The guy who plays him Tom Ellis is gorgeous and is from Britain with a smooth voice.....Plus it's dark,mysterious, sexy and funny.

Freypower
02-23-2016, 04:24 PM
I started watching UW just to hear some old tunes. Bobby Cannavale is better playing a gangster such as the one he played on Boardwalk Empire. I don't know, it kinda sucks you in, but not sure I'll continue...I do love Olivia Wilde as his wife character. I was looking at all the album covers on the wall which was cool. And they said the line Just flew to LA to deliver a check to Geffen. So maybe it'll get better.

Right now I'm fascinated with Lucifer. The guy who plays him Tom Ellis is gorgeous and is from Britain with a smooth voice.....Plus it's dark,mysterious, sexy and funny.

My husband got me onto Lucifer. It's weird. I hope Americans are getting some of the very British expressions he uses.

The Disco Strangler
03-04-2016, 09:00 PM
I'm really into Jekyll and Hyde on CBC. Unfortunately, I heard they cancelled it :scowl:

UndertheWire
03-17-2016, 03:13 PM
I followed your lead and I'm enjoying Lucifier. I've not come across Tom Ellis before but I love his delivery.

I'm also watching Bosch. I've read most of the books but I can never remember the plots. It's a good adaptation. Apart from the police procedural aspect, there are plots about politics, both within the office and in local government. Also - rare for a US cop show - the characters look like real people. Their clothes are crumpled, they don't run around in high heels without a hair out of place and very few are drop-dead gorgeous.

I'm still slogging through Vinyl.

WalshFan88
04-09-2016, 10:15 PM
No TV shows have been interesting to me lately. All of the CSIs are over, and now everyone is all about The Walking Dead but I'm not a fan of it, nor was I a fan of Breaking Bad.

I've always been more of a movie guy. If I turn on the TV, I'm watching a movie or something special.

But, I have Hulu Plus, Amazon Prime, HBO GO, and Netflix, so I can always go back in time. ;)

NightMistBlue
04-13-2016, 01:29 PM

You had me at "is gorgeous and from Britain" :) I've seen the show in the tv listings but now I want to check it out.

The only contemporary show I like is "Vikings." Otherwise, I just watch 70s tv shows. Tonight the Bionic Woman is on.

Freypower
04-13-2016, 07:20 PM
You had me at "is gorgeous and from Britain" :) I've seen the show in the tv listings but now I want to check it out.

The only contemporary show I like is "Vikings." Otherwise, I just watch 70s tv shows. Tonight the Bionic Woman is on.

What about Game Of Thrones? If you want to wach British acting at its finest, this is for you. I could write a great deal about it.

AlreadyGone95
04-25-2016, 02:23 AM
]I have 2 new shows that I must watch every weekend, though they air at the same time, which means I have to choose between them.

The first is Svengoolie, which airs every Saturday night at 10 on METV. It's a 2 hour long show in which the host, Svengoolie (Rich Coz), shows a classic horror film. I've enjoyed most of the movies so far. Sven uses dry humor as a gag before commercial breaks, and he also discusses the movie and its cast.

The other show is a britcom called Vicious, which airs on PBS every Saturday night at 10:30. It stars Sirs Ian McKellen and Derek Jacobi as 2 old gay men who've been partners for nearly 50 years. It's about their life now and their inner circle of friends/neighbors. I've only seen 3 episodes so far, but I've cried during each episode because I was laughing so hard.

ETA: I forgot to mention the older TV shows I've gotten interested in, The Jeffersons, All in the Family, Green Acres, Hogan's Heroes, The Carol Burnett Show, and The Tonight show with Johnny Carson. All come on AntennaTV every weekday, except Hogan's Heroes and The Carol Burnett Show which are on METV.

UndertheWire
04-25-2016, 03:49 AM
I didn't take to Vicious despite the wonderful cast. It's too much of the old-fashioned small set sit-com. A link between that and Game of Thrones - the nice young neighbour in Vicious plays one of the nastiest characters in Game of Thrones (the one who tortured Theon and married Sensa).

There's a new epsiode of GoT waiting for me. If only I could remember what happened last time!

I'm working through The X-Files. "Deep Throat" in season 1 turned out to be the same Washington aide that met with Harry's brother in Let's Get Harry.

Freypower
04-25-2016, 06:23 PM
I didn't take to Vicious despite the wonderful cast. It's too much of the old-fashioned small set sit-com. A link between that and Game of Thrones - the nice young neighbour in Vicious plays one of the nastiest characters in Game of Thrones (the one who tortured Theon and married Sensa).

There's a new epsiode of GoT waiting for me. If only I could remember what happened last time!

I'm working through The X-Files. "Deep Throat" in season 1 turned out to be the same Washington aide that met with Harry's brother in Let's Get Harry.

Iwan Rheon aka Ramsay Bolton.

WS82Classics
04-25-2016, 07:09 PM
Bill Maher's and John Oliver's comedio-political shows have long been favourites of mine. Also watching the newer shows "Better Call Saul" and "Vinyl," both of which I rate very highly.

Also giving a good re-watch to old "Frasier" Episodes

Witchy Woman
04-26-2016, 12:28 AM
I don't watch much TV anymore, but I do enjoy a few shows I DVR regularly. I love Better Call Saul, Brooklyn Nine-Nine ,and The Big Bang Theory. One show that really stood out for me was Horace And Pete, the show put out by Louis C.K. on his website. It starred Louis, Steve Buscemi, Edie Falco, Alan Alda, and Jessica Lange, as well as other big names. I bought the first episode for 5 bucks not really knowing what to expect, as the only promotion it received was an e-mail from Louis. I figured "Eh, if it sucks I've only wasted 5 bucks". I'll tell you what, it was so engrossing to me I found myself waiting every week for him to put out a new one. I encourage everyone to give it a shot. It was fantastic.

NightMistBlue
04-26-2016, 09:04 AM
What about Game Of Thrones? If you want to watch British acting at its finest, this is for you. I could write a great deal about it.

I feel I should check it out, if only to know what so many people are talking about! I was avoiding it because it seemed like "The Tudors," where the women were doffing their tops every 5 minutes but the men stay fully clothed. Unfair!

Anyway, the lovely Jonathan Rhys Meyers will be joining the cast of "Vikings" next season, which will be sensational.

The Disco Strangler
05-27-2016, 10:36 AM
I am love love loving Grantchester. The Brits have the best TV shows. Now I'm waiting patiently for season 3.

LuvTim
05-27-2016, 12:03 PM
I agree, DS. I do watch a couple commercially produced tv shows, but for quite some time, most of my regular viewing has been on PBS. I'm going to miss Mr. Selfridge and the Downton gang; but, like you, I have been loving Grantchester!

AlreadyGone95
05-27-2016, 01:02 PM
I've been watching a new show on Fox, Houdini and Doyle. There are huge historical inaccuracies Houdini and Doyle didn't know each other in 1901, for example. The storylines and the characters are good enough that I can look at the show as purely entertainment only. Showing a "what if" kind of thing.

buffyfan145
05-27-2016, 04:01 PM
I love the PBS shows too and I'm going to miss "Downton Abbey" and "Mr. Selfridge" as well, but the 3rd season of "Endeavour" is finally back in a couple weeks and hopefully season 4 of "Sherlock" later this fall. I also finally started watching "Penny Dreadful" and love it. I was always a fan of the classic Universal monster movies and seeing these characters together is great (even if I do have to fast forward through he gory scenes LOL).

Season 2 of "Bloodline" also started up today and I've already watched two of the 10 eps on Netflix and it's great!!! :D "Peaky Blinders" also starts back up on Tuesday here in the US and apparently they'll be using David Bowie's music in some scenes as he was a fan and asked them to use his music. All my summer shows are starting up too, but it's not as much as I usually watch in the traditional TV season.

Also, my latest Entertainment Weekly previewed more summer shows and had a bit about Cameron Crowe's "Roadies" and it sounds good. :D Supposed to have a lot of music in it too, like his films. Mentioned Lindsey Buckingham is guest starting as himself in an episode, and it reminded me of how Glenn was supposed to have a role in it too. It starts late next month on Showtime.

AlreadyGone95
06-05-2016, 11:26 AM
The only talent show I like, America's Got Talent, is back on for its 11th season. I've watched it almost every year since season 3. I wasn't too sure about Simon Cowell being a judge, but from the first episode, he doesn't have that mean, bully aspect much anymore. I enjoy the show because it's not for one specific talent, unlike other talent shows.

I liked the first episode of the new NBC series, Maya and Marty. It's sort of like a milder version of Saturday Night Live. I'm glad to see a variety show on network tv. I love the variety shows of the past.

UndertheWire
07-16-2016, 10:18 AM
I've just seen a really enjoyable music documentary, "I'm not in Love: The story of 10cc". It's not deep and full of angst but they seem a decent and very talented bunch of guys.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06r14pr

I knew the songs but very little about the people and now I'm stunned by what they did and how they did it - and how cheerful they all are.
I've read Graham Nash's autobiography but I hadn't picked up that the kid who wrote many of the hits for The Hollies was later in 10cc. Or that one of the others was in The Mindbenders and sang lead on "Groovy Kind of Love". That one of them built his own recording studio and the four of them were the house band (backing all sorts from football teams to Neil Sedaka) before deciding they should record under their own name. I may have been vaguely aware that Godley and Creme went on to make music videos but not the extent.

If you're in the UK, I recommend watching while you can.

WS82Classics
08-06-2016, 12:41 AM
Right now, I'm really liking this new show "Still the King," starring former Country star Billy Ray Cyrus and the incredibly beautiful Madison Iseman. Very well written scripts.

Also watching "Cheers" reruns. The earlier shows with Coach and Diane are easily the best, but this scene from the later seasons is a true gut-buster. My absolute favourite from that show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3n8uKj-mU0

WS82Classics
08-16-2016, 10:55 AM
The duo-finale of "Still the King" was sort of an emotional trip for me. Can't wait to see the next season, if there is going to be one.

I tried watching a show called "Vice Principals," and OMG was it awful.

DJ
08-16-2016, 04:30 PM
Well I am hooked on Sex and Drugs and Rock and Roll. I love Dennis Leary and John Corbett. And it's super funny. :rofl:

NightMistBlue
08-18-2016, 05:06 PM
I caught a few episodes of "The Night Manager" starring Taylor Swift's boyfriend and Hugh Laurie; really enjoyed it. I'll get the DVD to see the whole ... 6 episodes I believe it was.

Apparently the series ran on AMC in March, so I'm a little late to the party, but usually all I watch are 70s tv shows on Cozi and MeTV so it's not bad by my standards.

buffyfan145
08-18-2016, 09:13 PM
I loved "The Night Manager"!!! :D Tom Hiddleston and Hugh Laurie were awesome in it. So many have called it Tom's audition for "James Bond" and I can totally see him in the role after that. I've been a huge fan of his since "Thor" first came out. He, Hugh, and the show are all nominated for Emmys too.

NightMistBlue
08-19-2016, 09:24 AM
Oh, I forgot he was in Thor. He played Loki, didn't he? I also liked him very much in "Only Lovers Left Alive" with Tilda Swinton. I recently saw Hiddleston as Hank Williams, Sr in "I Saw the Light" and he did well with what had to be an extremely challenging role. The shocker though was Elizabeth Olsen (sister of the bug-eyed Olsen twins) who was nothing short of amazing as Hank's insufferable wife Audrey: she got everything right - the accent, shrewish personality, bad singing voice. Kudos to her.

buffyfan145
08-19-2016, 10:26 AM
Yes, he was Loki and I just loved him ever since!!! :D I've seen so many of his films since then and I thought he did great as Hank Sr, and I totally agree about Elizabeth as Audrey.

RudieCantFail
08-31-2016, 02:00 AM
Couldn't find a Tom Petty thread other than one that was about a TV appearance. It's this one: https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2925 Anyways, I like it when Jimmy Fallon does music bits, so here's a video of Fallon playing guitar and Kevin Bacon singing the First Draft of Free Fallin' or Free Horses.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5RjHELoev0

Fallon did this for Bob Seger and The Beach Boys.

Bob Seger - first draft of Old Time Rock and Roll:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef3vM7KJeu8

The Beach Boys - first draft of Fun Fun Fun:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynKqgo-x780

Philh
08-31-2016, 04:44 AM
Myself and my wife live in the UK and on a recent holiday to Phoenix we discovered 'The Middle' and it is now our favourite TV show.
We didn't realise they had made 7 seasons so we have a lot to catch up on!
UK sitcoms have about 6-10 shows per season, whereas American series have about 25 shows per season.
We just love the classic one-liners usually from the parents.
I hear it is under-rated in the US but we think it's probably the best US comedy we have seen.

buffyfan145
09-05-2016, 08:47 PM
I'm finally watching "Gilmore Girls" and love it so much!!! :D I've been meaning to check it out for years especially since I'm a fan of Lauren Graham's from "Parenthood" and Alexis Bledel from her films, the show actually coming back with new episodes in November, and I know so many who loved the show including one of my high school best friends who named her daughter Rory after Alexis' character. I love the show, it being set in a small town, Lorelai and Rory's mother/daughter relationship, knowing Lorelai ends up with Luke but it takes years, the rest of the cast, the comedy mixed with drama, and seeing so many actors that are famous now playing the teenagers on here (they look like babies LOL). I can relate so much to Rory as when this show started in 2000 I was a freshman in high school and Rory starts as a sophomore and all the high school & boy drama, not to mention her love for books and music from before she was born, so it's very nostalgic for me that way. Then I can relate now to Lorelai being 30 and still single. It's such a great show and I can't wait for the Netflix revival which starts in November!!! :D

Delilah
09-05-2016, 10:04 PM
Myself and my wife live in the UK and on a recent holiday to Phoenix we discovered 'The Middle' and it is now our favourite TV show.
UK sitcoms have about 6-10 shows per season, whereas American series have about 25 shows per season.
I hear it is under-rated in the US but we think it's probably the best US comedy we have seen.

"The Middle" is one of my favorite shows. I like that the dad is not portrayed as a clueless oaf as is often the case with sitcoms.

AlreadyGone95
09-06-2016, 01:15 PM

The Middle is one of the few modern sitcoms I love to watch.

I've been binge watching Father Brown (the modern adaption). I'm on season 3. PBS has started airing it, and I got hooked. The only cast member familiar with is Mark Williams (,Mr. Weasley in the Harry Potter films). I'd never heard of the short stories it's based on before.b

FWIW
09-09-2016, 12:14 AM
Are there any Star Trek fans here? While reading about Don Felder's recognition on the RS website, I noticed that today is the 50th anniversary of the first Star Trek episode broadcast.

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/star-trek-at-50-how-the-sci-fi-tv-show-changed-everything-w438090

My hubby is a huge fan of all things Star Trek and over the years a bit of his enthusiasm has rubbed off on me. It's amazing that the franchise continues to pull in new fans to this day. My kids love the new movies with Chris Pine.

AlreadyGone95
09-09-2016, 10:25 AM
Are there any Star Trek fans here? While reading about Don Felder's recognition on the RS website, I noticed that today is the 50th anniversary of the first Star Trek episode broadcast.

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/star-trek-at-50-how-the-sci-fi-tv-show-changed-everything-w438090

My hubby is a huge fan of all things Star Trek and over the years a bit of his enthusiasm has rubbed off on me. It's amazing that the franchise continues to pull in new fans to this day. My kids love the new movies with Chris Pine.

I spent most of last night watching old Star Trek documentaries on the DECADES network ( digital network affiliated with CBS). I love Star Trek particularly TNG, TOS Enterprise, and Voyager. My uncle got me interested about 8 years ago, and my interest has grown since then.

If any American who gets MeTV and likes Star Trek is interested, Svengoolie will air the original non-Captain Kirk pilot episode of the original series this Saturday night at 10pm. It's called The Cage.

FWIW
09-09-2016, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the info AG95!

WS82Classics
09-10-2016, 10:27 AM
Watching "Three's Company" re-runs now.

Love the show. Love John Ritter.

NightMistBlue
09-13-2016, 09:48 AM
That's who your avatar photo is - John Ritter! I had been looking and thinking: I've seen that guy before.

buffyfan145
09-13-2016, 09:59 AM
I loved John Ritter. "Three's Company" is one of my Dad top favorite comedies so I grew up watching reruns with him. Plus John showed up on "Buffy" in a great episode, and he played Scott Speedman's dad on "Felicity". I'm also of fan of both his sons Jason and Tyler, and they're both really good actors too.

NightMistBlue
09-13-2016, 10:08 AM
I'm familiar with Jason but didn't know about Tyler. He also had a cute red-headed little girl with his second wife, but I don't know if she's an actress.

You're too young to remember this, but John had a series in the - late 80s I think it was - called Hooperman that I enjoyed. His co-star was an adorable little Jack Russell terrier.

My favorite current show, American Ninja Warrior, ended its season last night with no winner. They made the obstacle courses ridiculously hard, probably impossible to win.

My favorite contestant on said show, Grant McCartney
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/769307297587703808/BumDuv3n.jpg

buffyfan145
09-13-2016, 04:24 PM
I didn't know about John's other show. I love dogs and Jack Russells always makes me think of Eddie on "Frasier" and Uggie from the films "The Artist" and "Water for Elephants". I would've loved to watch it.

Tyler was in a comedy show two years ago called "The McCarthys" about a Irish-American family but it got cancelled after one season for low ratings. Now he'll be debuting in a couple weeks on "Arrow", part of the CW's superhero shows I watch, as a cop and could appear on the others as well since they're all connected and he'll be recurring.

NightMistBlue
09-13-2016, 05:26 PM
Look how cute he was, oh my goodness. Mr. Ritter was a handsome guy too.
http://www.lingerandlook.com/Names/Dogs/bijou.jpg

WS82Classics
09-13-2016, 05:48 PM
Recently saw him in the movie "Sling Blade," which as a movie was a bit much for me. First knew John Ritter as the voice of Clifford the Big Red Dog, which was right up there with Winnie the Pooh as my favourite cartoon character from childhood.

Sunday, in addition to marking 15 years since 9/11, marked the 13th anniversary of Ritter's passing. I was 9 years old at that time, and learning that Clifford had died absolutely flattened me. I still hate that he's gone.

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14317499_2085471275011483_5900257198491819158_n.jp g?oh=5ae8c7fb8efca5a03e42896ad98f1d5f&oe=587E45F7

LuvTim
09-13-2016, 08:06 PM
I'm familiar with Jason but didn't know about Tyler. He also had a cute red-headed little girl with his second wife, but I don't know if she's an actress.

You're too young to remember this, but John had a series in the - late 80s I think it was - called Hooperman that I enjoyed. His co-star was an adorable little Jack Russell terrier.

My favorite current show, American Ninja Warrior, ended its season last night with no winner. They made the obstacle courses ridiculously hard, probably impossible to win.

My favorite contestant on said show, Grant McCartney
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/769307297587703808/BumDuv3n.jpg

I've been watching ANW, too. So disappointed to end the season without a winner!

John Ritter. So special. Loved him, too.

buffyfan145
09-13-2016, 09:15 PM
I totally agree NMB, and WS82C I totally forgot he was Clifford's voice!!! :D I loved those books so much as a kid and did watch the show, even went as Emily Elizabeth for Halloween and dressed my dog up as Clifford even though my dog was a girl. LOL It was so sad when he passed.

AlreadyGone95
09-14-2016, 02:18 AM
I grew up watching Clifford as well. I was nearly 8 when John Ritter passed. I was very sad when my told me that the man who voiced Clifford had died. I'd never seen a photo of him before, so I thought he was an elderly man in his 70s or 80s. I continued to think this until I first saw Three's Company last year. I couldn't believe that John was that young! I agree that he was a handsome man.

As a side note, Kohl's department store is selling plush Clifford characters for charity. I bought a T-Bone one because he was my favorite character (English Bulldogs are the mascots of UGA, and I'm huge Bulldogs football team fan). I think I might also buy a Clifford one next time.

That sucks about ANW. I wasn't able to follow it that much this year, but I love the show.

Jonny Come Lately
09-14-2016, 08:53 AM
My favourite video when I was a child was Wallace & Gromit in The Wrong Trousers. I still love it now, as an animated film I don't think it's ever been surpassed. I always absolutely loved the train chase at the end and also the scene where Gromit hides in a dog food box. I like all the films, but I think that one was the absolute zenith. I also loved the original episodes of Thomas the Tank Engine (as told by a certain brother in law of Joe Walsh's!) and could go on for ages about all the toy engines and trains that I had as well as the books and videos... I've long thought that today's kids are kind of missing out with all the CGI animation that's around now - it looks impressive but somehow lacks the charm of all the old stop-motion and cell animation techniques.

Its funny because I was never crazy about the Disney films, with a couple of exceptions - my favourite by far was The Jungle Book. Of their classic characters, I have to say I think I always liked Donald Duck more than I liked Mickey Mouse. I was on a flight a couple of years ago where they had Disney cartoons playing and when the Donald ones were on I couldn't help but watch.

LuvTim
09-14-2016, 09:20 AM
Oh, Wallace and Gromit. :heart: Agreed, JCL. So charming.

buffyfan145
09-14-2016, 09:53 AM
I loved "Wallace and Gromit" too!!! :D I first came across it watching PBS in elementary school and I loved the animation style and I always loved British accents. It's actually one accent I can do pretty well. Same with "Thomas the Tank Engine" thanks to PBS too. I did watch a lot of PBS Kids shows in the 90s as well as those on Nickelodeon, The Disney Channel, and Cartoon Network/Boomerang (for the 60-80s cartoons).

VillageGirl
09-14-2016, 11:28 AM
My husband and daughter love to watch ANW!

I am gearing up for American Horror Story Season 6. Always interesting to see what Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk come up with every year.

Also, tonight the 2nd season of Documentary Now with Bill Hader and Fred Armisen aires! Remember them from their spoof on History of the Eagles portraying Gene and Clark of the Blue Jean Committee? I love documentary spoofs, so I'm stoked!

NightMistBlue
09-14-2016, 12:31 PM
Also, tonight the 2nd season of Documentary Now with Bill Hader and Fred Armisen aires! Remember them from their spoof on History of the Eagles portraying Gene and Clark of the Blue Jean Committee? I love documentary spoofs, so I'm stoked!

They have some high-powered guests this season, including Mia Farrow, Peter Fonda (love him) and Faye Dunaway. Helen Mirren also returns as the show’s host.

Here's a review: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/14/arts/television/review-documentary-now-skewers-politicians-and-food-fetishists.html?_r=0

VillageGirl
09-14-2016, 12:54 PM
Thanks for posting that article NMB. I saw Bill Hader, Fred Armisen, and Seth Meyers being interviewed in front of an audience panel and they talked a little bit about last season as well as this upcoming season and answered some questions from the audience. I knew Helen Mirren was returning, but had no idea about the other three actors!

Delilah
09-14-2016, 02:15 PM
My husband and daughter love to watch ANW!

I am gearing up for American Horror Story Season 6. Always interesting to see what Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk come up with every year.

I'm looking forward to AHS too. I hope it's better than last season's Hotel though. I stopped watching after about 2 episodes.

buffyfan145
09-14-2016, 04:29 PM
I can't wait to watch season 2 of "Documentary Now" as well!!! :D One of my other favorites from last season "Blindspot" is back tonight too. And I'm happy my fall shows are coming back this month.

On a sad note did just see that "Bloodline" got cancelled by Netflix and they're upcoming 3rd season will be it's last. :( A big issue was Florida getting rid of their tax credit programs for shows/films so after this upcoming season it would've been too expensive. But I am looking forward to how it ends.

RudieCantFail
09-15-2016, 01:37 AM
Yep, I love Documentary Now! too! I wouldn't even know about it, if Buffy never mentioned it in the "Eagles Mentions in TV" thread. My favorite episode is the 1st one, Sandy Passage. It makes me laugh so hard, even though I've never seen Grey Gardens. "You got floor all in my lima beans!" I like the Blue Jean Committee episodes too, especially now since I've watched HOTE in the last 2 weeks.

I didn't get to enjoy tonight's episode that much because I was doing accounting HW while watching it. I'm going to watch it again with my full attention once my dad gets home on Thursday. I think I'll enjoy next week's episode more because it's based on Jiro Dreams of Sushi. I've seen that doc, so I'll hopefully understand the inside jokes. I thought it was interesting, but it got boring and I fell asleep. I could only handle so much footage of sushi making and English subtitles.

Also, here's Fred and Bill as Test Pattern, a Talking Heads spoof:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcLDzcmkSqI
Art + Student = Poor

They were on Seth Meyers last night. I thought the song was interesting and the guitar playing sort of reminded me of The Clash, i.e. Rock the Casbah. I love that Bill is rocking out on the bass at the beginning. It was funny.

buffyfan145
09-15-2016, 09:51 AM
I thought last night's "Documentary Now" was great!!! :D We had to watch "The War Room" in my high school government class and the parody was spot on. LOL :lol: Plus, cracked up so much at it taking place in Ohio as I got some references to my state so someone on the writing staff must be an Ohioan or familiar with it. I'm so glad you all are enjoying it too and I'm looking forward to when even their Talking Heads parody pops up.

secret squirrel
10-25-2016, 12:09 PM
After liking George Blagden's performance in Versailles:
http://secretsquirrelreviews.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07/tv-series-versailles-on-bbc2.html

decided to try Vikings and became a fan. No work at mo so have taken out a free trial with film provider and watching the first three seasons.

Love the interplay between Ragnar/Travis Fimmel and Athelstan/George Blagden, in the show and in interviews, though I'm not sure I could have forgiven someone who volunteered me to be sacrificed.

http://secretsquirrelshorts.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/vikings-on-history-ragnartravis-fimmel.html

SS
xx
http://secretsquirrelshorts.blogspot.co.uk

UndertheWire
10-25-2016, 12:30 PM
I had no idea George Blagden was the lead in Versailles (I haven't wacthed it, yet). He's come a long way in a few years - I think he was just out of drama school when he was cast in Les Miserables.

Annoying Twit
10-25-2016, 02:09 PM
Black Mirror is very, very, dark. True modern gothic, if that makes sense. But, the better ones such as "Hated In The Nation" are, IMHO, excellent horror with social narrative.

buffyfan145
10-25-2016, 04:23 PM
So far with the new shows this season I'm liking "Designated Survivor" and loved "Luke Cage". Then next month the "Gilmore Girls" revival is back and Netflix also has a new show "The Crown" about when Queen Elizabeth II became Queen in the 50s and it looks good. Other than that the other new shows won't start till after the new year. But still watching all my current shows as well.

NightMistBlue
10-25-2016, 05:03 PM
I was mostly housebound for the weekend with back pain. AMC was doing a Walking Dead marathon, and I kind of got into it (even though zombies scare the bejesus outta me - that's why I never watched the show before). I watched the season premiere Sunday night and was kind of traumatized at the level of gore. It was like watching a torture video (I imagine), very grim.

But then I loved Vikings and the notorious episode "Blood Eagle" was probably one of the most violent and graphic things shown on television. I don't know what my point is. Oh yeah, I shouldn't be judgmental of people who liked the season premiere of The Walking Dead.

P.S. Folk who watched Documentary Now: did I miss the one with Peter Fonda?

Delilah
10-25-2016, 05:34 PM
I am still reeling a bit from Sunday's premiere episode of Walking Dead. I actually had to change the channel at one point, and I rarely do that for this show. But then this series has often moved me profoundly. That's what I like about it.

Last season was kind of boring, though. I hope your back is feeling better, NMB.

MortSahlFan
10-25-2016, 06:32 PM
The Larry Sanders Show
Peep Show

buffyfan145
10-25-2016, 07:43 PM
NMB, I think the one with Peter Fonda is this week's which is the season finale.

I never got into "The Walking Dead" even though so many of my family and friends are fans and I love some of the cast members. I never liked the zombie concept in any films or shows and I can't handle anything too gory. Hearing so many talk about the past episode I'm so glad I don't watch as I wouldn't have been able to handle the gore.

DJ
10-25-2016, 08:38 PM
Speaking of John Ritter I started watching Parenthood on Netflix. One of the returning characters was John's son Jason. Oh what a cutie he is. Great show too.

VillageGirl
10-26-2016, 01:22 AM
AHS Season 6 episode 6 totally threw me for a loop. Ryan Murphy said it was going to and it really did.

Need to finish watching last week's Documentary Now.

Brooke
10-26-2016, 09:53 AM
Is anyone watching This is Us? I really like it. It's quite different in that it goes back in time and to present day with the characters. Justin Hartley from Young & the Restless is a main character and I really like him.

I've never watched Walking Dead. Just don't do zombies, ever!

buffyfan145
10-26-2016, 10:08 AM
I haven't checked it out "This is Us" yet Brooke but I plan to. I feel like it'd be better as a binge watch for me personally and I've got too many shows I'm currently watching. I love Justin from "Y&R" and I'm so sad he left. That was also another reason why I couldn't watch his new show yet as Adam's gone. LOL Adam's always been a favorite character of mine and I know they'll recast him soon since "This is Us" is a hit and Justin won't be able to come back. I also love Many Moore, Milo Ventimiglia (he's Jess on "Gilmore Girls"), and Sterling K. Brown. I know some of the twists already but still looking forward to seeing how the show is which I'm thinking next summer as I'll have less shows on then.

NightMistBlue
10-26-2016, 10:35 AM
I hope your back is feeling better, NMB.

Thank you, kind Delilah. The back is still acting up but the doctor prescribed a stronger medicine so tonight I'll be feeling no pain :spin:

secret squirrel
10-26-2016, 12:13 PM
I had no idea George Blagden was the lead in Versailles (I haven't wacthed it, yet). He's come a long way in a few years - I think he was just out of drama school when he was cast in Les Miserables.

He, Alexander Vlahos and Evan Williams are all brilliant in Versailles but some of the dialogue is awful. It looks gorgeous though and these three manage to overcome the handicap of an ill-thought-out script.

SS
xx
http://secretsquirrelreviews.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07/tv-series-versailles-on-bbc2.html

secret squirrel
10-26-2016, 12:16 PM
But then I loved Vikings and the notorious episode "Blood Eagle" was probably one of the most violent and graphic things shown on television. I don't know what my point is. Oh yeah, I shouldn't be judgmental of people who liked the season premiere of The Walking Dead.

Blood Eagle was the goriest, most bloodthirsty thing I've ever seen on TV. Hard to watch. Plus I felt really sorry for Jarl Borg.

SS
xx
http://secretsquirrelshorts.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/vikings-on-history-ragnartravis-fimmel.html

NightMistBlue
10-26-2016, 01:13 PM
Me too, he was one of my favorite characters. Maybe because he looked like he could have fronted a Seattle band in the 90s. A lot of the Vikings actors had that grunge look, you know?

Annoying Twit
10-26-2016, 01:54 PM
I like zombies. One of the few video games that I've finished is "Dead Block". For The Walking Dead, it got moved onto pay TV that I don't have. I suppose I could upgrade my TV package, but don't feel that inspired. Things I want to watch seem to move around, and it would require a hugely expensive package to watch them all.

We do have Netflix at the moment, and I've been watching designated survivor.

Brooke
10-26-2016, 02:28 PM
I haven't checked it out "This is Us" yet Brooke but I plan to. I feel like it'd be better as a binge watch for me personally and I've got too many shows I'm currently watching. I love Justin from "Y&R" and I'm so sad he left. That was also another reason why I couldn't watch his new show yet as Adam's gone. LOL Adam's always been a favorite character of mine and I know they'll recast him soon since "This is Us" is a hit and Justin won't be able to come back. I also love Many Moore, Milo Ventimiglia (he's Jess on "Gilmore Girls"), and Sterling K. Brown. I know some of the twists already but still looking forward to seeing how the show is which I'm thinking next summer as I'll have less shows on then.

I am bummed about Justin leaving Y&R too. I was hoping he would do both shows. Of course he has 'disappeared' on Y&R for the moment, which is a storyline they have done to death! :roll:

buffyfan145
10-26-2016, 04:16 PM
I am bummed about Justin leaving Y&R too. I was hoping he would do both shows. Of course he has 'disappeared' on Y&R for the moment, which is a storyline they have done to death! :roll:

I was too but then saw his role is too major on "This is Us" for him to do both. :( From what I read "Y&R" was waiting to see how Justin's show would do and now that it's a hit I highly doubt he'll ever come back. Adam's been a favorite of mine for years as I loved Michael Muhney's version and Chris Egan's before him (and I always wanted them to bring back Adam/Victor Jr. before that as I've watched since I was little). I hated they did the "supposed death" storyline again but we all know he's not dead and will be back at some point more than likely with a new face. It'll be interesting to see who they pick this time but they'll have a lot to live up to.

secret squirrel
11-02-2016, 01:00 PM
Me too, he was one of my favorite characters. Maybe because he looked like he could have fronted a Seattle band in the 90s. A lot of the Vikings actors had that grunge look, you know?

You're right about the grunge band! Loved grunge - the one and only time I've ever been in fashion.

SS
xx

shunlvswx
11-02-2016, 02:10 PM
Is anyone watching This is Us? I really like it. It's quite different in that it goes back in time and to present day with the characters. Justin Hartley from Young & the Restless is a main character and I really like him.

I've never watched Walking Dead. Just don't do zombies, ever!

I do. I love this show. I usually don't get too invested into shows because you never known when its gone, but I fell in love with This Is Us after I saw all those trailer on Facebook. When it finally came out, I wanted to see if it will live up to the hype and it did.

I used to be a soap opera nut and I remembered when I read Justin was leaving Y&R to do a pilot that was picked up. I totally forgot that the pilot they were talking about was This Is Us.

NBC needs to go ahead and pick up this show for another season. They see its a hit. I know they ordered a full season, but not another season yet. I think this show is here to stay. I always looked at the rating for the next day after it was shows. Other than the World Series beating everybody's butt, its kicking everybody's butt in ratings even beating The Voice on Tuesday. I don't know how its rank overall with the other show, but its definitely the most watch show on Tuesday.

As for Walking Dead. I like scary movies, but I don't watch the Walking Dead. Like I said earlier, I don't invest in watching different shows. Dancing With the Stars is the other show I watched religiously. I've been a fan of Dancing With the Stars since Season 4 and I've been watching every sense. I've never miss a season.