PDA

View Full Version : Favorite TV Shows

Pages : 1 2 [3]

UndertheWire
11-02-2016, 02:35 PM
I'm getting hooked on The Americans. It's a nice twist on the Cold War spy drama to have the protaganists be KGB spies in Virginia. The time period is early 80s with Reagan as a new president and the secrets relate to the SDI programme. I'm still on series 1, so please don't spoil me!
Also funny that the russian spy pretending to be american is played by a welsh actor.

buffyfan145
11-02-2016, 04:31 PM
UTW, I used to watch "The Americans" but had to give it up as I had so many other shows on. I got through most of season 3. I do plan on going back to it eventually and love both Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys. Another great 80s set show to check out is "Halt & Catch Fire", which will have it's final season next year.

Shun, NBC will totally renew "This is Us". Most networks usually wait till the spring to announce their renewals but it's a hit for them and did well last night against the World Series. That announcement should be coming any day now.

VillageGirl
11-05-2016, 05:55 PM
Just binge watched This Is Us 2 nights ago. Couldn't help myself!

Caught Season 3 premiere of Salem on demand. Should be interesting, especially with Marilyn Manson on the show starting next week...

buffyfan145
11-22-2016, 11:13 AM
I just finished watching "The Crown" and I loved it!!! :D It's a new Netflix series that focuses on the British Royal Family and season 1 starts with Queen Elizabeth's wedding to Prince Philip and goes through her father King George VI's death and her taking the throne to other events in the 1950s. The cast is amazing especially Claire Foy as Queen Elizabeth, Matt Smith as Prince Philip, John Lithgow as Winston Churchill, Jared Harris as King George VI, Jeremy Northam as Anthony Eden, and everyone else. The sets are just amazing and it's so visually stunning. Supposedly there's a 6 season plan that would bring the show all the way to present day. Totally recommend it to anyone who's a fan of "Downton Abbey" and loves learning about the Royal Family/England.

Brooke
11-22-2016, 04:05 PM
I would like to see that, Buffy. I don't have netflix, but maybe can find on my streaming box.

TW
11-22-2016, 08:28 PM
Friends is one of the funniest shows to exist I also like Big Bang Theory

Witchy Woman
11-22-2016, 10:06 PM
Really digging Designated Survivor. It's a fast paced drama, so Kiefer Sutherland is a perfect fit. Every now and again he even utters the Jack Bauer classic "Dammit". Lol.

UndertheWire
11-23-2016, 06:39 AM
I'm enjoying season 2 of "Humans". It's really good, enjoyable sci-fi with important themes. It's set in the current day but in a world where human-like robots ("synths") are commonplace - essentially a slave class. They are used for domestic duties, caring for the elderly, as sex workers and in season 2 even as a marriage counsellor (who can switch to a more soothing scottish accent if it makes the couple more comfortable!). There's also action, adventure and conspiracy mixed in. It's based on a swedish series.

buffyfan145
11-26-2016, 04:54 PM
I just finished watching the "Gilmore Girls" revival and I loved it so much!!! :D I'm so glad I finally watched the original series and now this revival. They brought back almost the entire cast and guest stars from the original, had so many great shoutouts to the original show & pop culture like they used to, wrapped up some storylines from the original series, and started some new ones if they do decide to keep the show going next year (which I really hope so as there's more to tell). Totally going down as one of my all-time favorite shows.

buffyfan145
12-07-2016, 10:56 AM
Finally started watching "This is Us" and love it so much!!! :D It really is living up to all this critical and fan praise. I didn't watch it at first for two reasons, one being that I was in the middle of watching "Gilmore Girls" for the first time so I would only see Milo Ventimiglia as Jess and two I was still mad at Justin Hartley for leaving "The Young and the Restless" and putting his Adam character into a supposed death storyline that the new writers are still being slow to recast. The wait only helped a little as I'm not longer mad at Justin and his character Kevin still feels like Adam, but I only see Milo still as Jess but somehow he time traveled to the 70s & 80s and grew a mustache. LOL :lol:

But Milo is fantastic as the dad and I'm loving seeing him play Mandy Moore's husband as she was another teen idol of mine. I had posters of both of them up in my bedroom as a teen. LOL I also love seeing Justin, Sterling K. Brown (who I loved on "Army Wives" and the OJ miniseries), and Chrissy Metz play their grown kids. Has so many great guest stars and the writing and acting is amazing. :heart:

My 16 year old self never would've thought I'd like Milo with a mustache but like the only other two I liked with mustaches (George Harrison and Glenn) he's pulling it off. LOL :p

Freypower
12-07-2016, 05:39 PM
I'm enjoying season 2 of "Humans". It's really good, enjoyable sci-fi with important themes. It's set in the current day but in a world where human-like robots ("synths") are commonplace - essentially a slave class. They are used for domestic duties, caring for the elderly, as sex workers and in season 2 even as a marriage counsellor (who can switch to a more soothing scottish accent if it makes the couple more comfortable!). There's also action, adventure and conspiracy mixed in. It's based on a swedish series.

My husband likes this show, which I could not get into at all, same as I could not get into Westworld. My current favourite show is Lucifer.

As a Walking Dead fan, the current season with its horrible psycopathic cartoon villain is the worst ever, and the number of comments on social media from people who say how much they love this creep is very depressing. It's possible to identify with villains if they have decent language to speak (any villain in Shakespeare). There is more to it than being sadistic & laughing at people.

NightMistBlue
12-12-2016, 11:39 AM
As a Walking Dead fan, the current season with its horrible psycopathic cartoon villain is the worst ever, and the number of comments on social media from people who say how much they love this creep is very depressing. It's possible to identify with villains if they have decent language to speak (any villain in Shakespeare). There is more to it than being sadistic & laughing at people.

I couldn't agree with you more. Watching certain episodes this season is about as fun as watching a hostage video. The one-note villain is tiresome and repugnant. I hope this isn't a spoiler but in last night's episode, the normal people were preparing to fight back, so hopefully this Negan character will be dispatched sometime. It cannot come too soon.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I've become attached to "Frasier" reruns. How sad am I. The show was so well done.

MortSahlFan
12-12-2016, 12:47 PM
Peep Show
The Larry Sanders Show

Delilah
12-12-2016, 01:11 PM
I thought last night's "Walking Dead" episode was the best all season, possibly since the previous season's episode about the Wolves attacking Alexandria. As others have expressed here, I have no affection for Negan whatsoever. If not for his looks, I suspect his character would be universally denounced. Maybe the depiction as a "one-note villain" is meant to reflect human devolvement as the ZA wears on. The mid-season finale gives some hope.

<SPOILER ALERT>

Speaking of looks, I'm bummed that the hottest guy got knocked off. :|

NightMistBlue
12-12-2016, 01:26 PM
Speaking of looks, I'm bummed that the hottest guy got knocked off. :|

Yeah, he was fine wasn't he? I'm not familiar with his background (new viewer here), but he seemed kinda nice too.

Have you all been watching the show from the beginning? I was wondering if they ever went into much detail about the virus that caused the zombie plague: its origin and whatnot.

Delilah
12-12-2016, 03:04 PM
I've watched from the beginning, and there has been no revelation about what started it all or what the etiologic agent is. I was hoping it would be shown in the spin-off series "Fear the Walking Dead" but it wasn't.

Spencer seemed to be a nice, decent character who was somewhat sheltered and naive. The writers portrayed him as a little shady, too. He did try though, and I think he had a point about Rick bringing trouble to the community. When he set out to try to ingratiate himself with Negan, I had a bad feeling.

Freypower
12-12-2016, 05:12 PM
I had completely forgotten about Spencer being the son of Deanna, the Alexandria matriarch. I had hints about what would happen to him so I wasn't surprised, although it was overly violent.

I was pleased to see the real Rick back & the others back in the fold. Now perhaps they can get on with it.

I must also say that Negan was given a script which required him to act, horrible though he was, instead of just standing around laughing & posing.

The other much vaunted arrival is The Grand Tour - the Amazon Prime replacement for Top Gear. Sadly there is a huge budget which appears to have been spent mainly on massaging Jeremy Clarkson's already huge ego. The other two, James May & Richard Hammond, are even more sycophantic sidekicks & the thing is so scripted their own personalities have disappeared.

They couldn't use The Stig or the Star in a Reasonably Priced Car so they have an ex NASCAR driver making sneering comments about European cars and a pointless segment in which celebrities are due to appear but are 'killed'.

They could still be at the BBC if Clarkson didn't think the world revolved around him. As it is they run the risk of becoming a parody of themselves.

I didn't like the way the BBC tried to continue TG with Chris Evans & Matt LeBlanc, but now that Evans has gone, I think TG can beat TGT at its own game.

buffyfan145
12-12-2016, 05:23 PM
Even though I don't watch "The Walking Dead" I am a fan of Jeffery Dean Morgan and have seen how other TWD fans love him on there. He does have a huge fanbase especially with us women who loved him on "Grey's Anatomy" and some films (me) and others who love him from playing the 2 main characters' dad on "Supernatural". So a lot of it is love for JDM not his character.

I'm also really happy today with the Golden Globe noms, especially for the TV side!!! :D Three of my new favorite shows "The Crown", "Stranger Things", and "This is Us" got nominated for Best Drama Series. But they are going up against "Westworld" and "Game of Thrones" so it'll be tough competition. A lot of my favorite TV and film actors got nominations too and a surprising amount of my fav musicians for their songs in a movie.

buffyfan145
01-11-2017, 11:16 AM
Now that the shows are coming back and most of the mid-season ones are premiering besides my normal shows so far I'm loving the new season of "Sherlock"!!! :D It's finally airing the same day as the UK here in the US and it's been so good with so many twists. For new shows so far I'm loving "Emerald City", the new take NBC's done of "The Wizard of Oz". They keep calling it a limited series, which usually means it's a miniseries (story told only in one season), but the ratings are good for Fridays.

Also, I'm really looking forward to checking out "Victoria" on PBS this Sunday about the story of Queen Victoria (it already aired in the UK) and then on the 26th the new take on the Archie Comics characters "Riverdale" starts and it's already getting great reviews. It is darker and has more of a "Twin Peaks", "Gossip Girl", and supernatural vibe, but makes sense since they are supposed to include the "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" characters as well as the "Archie" and "Josie and the Pussycats" ones and the comics themselves are starting darker storylines too and I loved all three comics/cartoons/90s shows as a kid.

UndertheWire
01-13-2017, 01:23 PM
I wrote this back in early November.

I'm getting hooked on The Americans. It's a nice twist on the Cold War spy drama to have the protaganists be KGB spies in Virginia. The time period is early 80s with Reagan as a new president and the secrets relate to the SDI programme. I'm still on series 1, so please don't spoil me!
Also funny that the russian spy pretending to be american is played by a welsh actor.
It started as a slow burn. I enjoyed it but was busy watching other things and so it was an occasional pleasure. Since Christmas, it has really taken a hold on me and after taking nearly two months to watch one season, I'm through the other three seasons in a couple of weeks. I'm also going back and reading weekly roundups in the bogs - there are so many! It's the kind of show people get obsessed with. The showrunners have announced that is has been renewed for two more seasons and that's it. Which is good, because they will get a chance to finish the story. Two years should take it to 1985, the arrival of Gorbachev and the beginning of the end for the Cold War.

Russian spies are nice and topical, too.

I highly recommend it. The only problem is I can't explain why it is so good because that would be giving away all the secrets. It's smart, well-written and well-acted. I've seen numerous articles on why it's the best show that no one is watching. The critics love it. There are complaints about the lack of awards love (though the two leads were both nominated for Golden Globes this year).

Now back to wondering how to fill in the next few months before season 5 shows in the US and I hunt for a way to watch it before I get too spoiled.

NightMistBlue
01-13-2017, 02:23 PM
I heard about The Americans for the first time last night. I was attending a talk about the Cold War. It surprises me you say it's set in the 80s - from the graphics, I'd have guessed the 1940s.

Then when I got home, our local PBS station was showing the first episode of "Jericho" starring a wonderful actor called Hans Matheson.

Tiffanny Twisted
01-14-2017, 12:19 PM
Netfix has the crown
Its wonderful
Its Ten hours
Seson two later this year

I can not wait

buffyfan145
01-14-2017, 05:21 PM
I love "The Crown"!!! :D So happy it won Golden Globes for Best Drama Series and Lead Actress in a Drama Series for Claire Foy. Really excited for season 2 and see how they do the 60s and Prince Charles becoming a teenager and adult. Also saw they confirmed they will cast Princess Diana for the end of season 3 (the 70s) and she'll be a huge part of seasons 4 & 5 (80s & 90s, as there will be 6 seasons total bringing it to modern day).

buffyfan145
01-18-2017, 06:06 PM
Just saw some really good news for those of us who are fans of "This is Us" and that NBC has renewed it for 2 more seasons!!! :D This is highly unusual for the broadcast networks but it's been such a huge hit for them. I love this show so much and so happy it'll be sticking around for a least 2 more years.

shunlvswx
01-20-2017, 10:28 AM
I was about to come here and post this. I'm soo happy that This Is US will be with us until 2019, but I hate its only 18 episodes. That means it will end way before May where most shows ends.

I'm glad NBC renewed This Is Us. I mean why would NBC cancel one of their best shows and highly rated shows in years, but than again they would. This is Us is knocking everybody out of the park on Tuesdays. I read articles on This Is Us the next day to see how well that week's episode did and they are the only show on Tuesdays that gets over 2.0 rating while everybody is between is 0.3 to 1.8 in ratings. Even though the viewership is not that high, NBC is mostly looking at the ratings.

Congrats to This is Us. I am a happy camper. :headbang:

buffyfan145
01-23-2017, 05:46 PM
Just noticed a something strange with three of my favorite shows, "The Flash", "Supergirl", and "Once Upon a Time", and that they will all have musical episodes this Spring!!! :D "The Flash" & "Supergirl" will actually be a crossover over two episodes, while the "OUAT" one be a standalone episode. I know all three shows have actors on it that are either musicians or had musical theater experience, and some have great voices. I'm excited to see how these end up being as I love musicals and my favorite standalone TV one was the "Buffy" musical, and how they'll write the original songs (don't know yet if "OUAT"s will be), the dancing, and how it does the overall story.

Sad thing is with "OUAT" doing this after teasing it at Comic Con for so many years is that it gives more proof of this possibly being the final season. The cast contracts are ending in April when they finish filming, it's ratings are low, and ABC did admit this season finale could work as a series finale ending. So I'm just preparing myself incase I do end up losing a favorite show sooner than I expected, as I thought they would have a final 7th season to wrap everything up better.

NightMistBlue
01-23-2017, 05:59 PM
Buffy, did you see when Lynda Carter was a guest star on Supergirl? She played the president. I wish they would have used her a bit more, she didn't have much screen time.

Tiffanny Twisted
01-23-2017, 08:25 PM
I love "The Crown"!!! :D So happy it won Golden Globes for Best Drama Series and Lead Actress in a Drama Series for Claire Foy. Really excited for season 2 and see how they do the 60s and Prince Charles becoming a teenager and adult. Also saw they confirmed they will cast Princess Diana for the end of season 3 (the 70s) and she'll be a huge part of seasons 4 & 5 (80s & 90s, as there will be 6 seasons total bringing it to modern day).

I love this show
Claire foy was fantastic
can not wait till.season 2

buffyfan145
01-23-2017, 08:52 PM
Buffy, did you see when Lynda Carter was a guest star on Supergirl? She played the president. I wish they would have used her a bit more, she didn't have much screen time.

I did and she was awesome!!! :D I love how the DC TV shows have been casting a lot of the other actors who have played the roles originally or were in the other films and shows like how Supergirl's adoptive parents are Dean Cain (played Superman) and Helen Slater (played Supergirl), and the Flash's dad is played by John Wesley Shipp and he played The Flash on the 90s CBS TV show. I have a feeling they'll be bringing Lynda back again, especially with her character's twist.

LuvTim
01-23-2017, 09:25 PM
2 episodes of The Crown, two episodes of PBS' s Victoria and a separate first episode of a special about the wives of Henry VIII, in one day. And I still miss Downton Abbey. Lol...

buffyfan145
01-24-2017, 11:38 AM
I'm really loving "Victoria" too!!! :D It's got a very different tone from "The Crown" but it's oddly still a bit similar, but more mixed with "Downton Abbey" as it focuses on Queen Victoria's servants too at Buckingham Palace. Also oddly it's got some of the same actors as "The Crown" playing similar characters (especially the actor who plays Victoria's uncle King Leopold is the same who plays Queen Elizabeth II's uncle former King Edward VIII). I know it's not all the way historically accurate too but I really like they added a love triangle of Victoria, Albert, and Lord Melbourne.

Also besides loving "The Crown" I also recently watched the 2nd season of "The Hollow Crown", PBS/BBC's adaptation of the Shakespeare history plays, and Benedict Cumberbatch did amazing playing King Richard III!!! :D Plus, Ben found out recently he actually is related to Richard and all of the Plantagenets/Tudors so that was awesome finding that out as a fan of Ben's.

The British royalty has always been fascinating to me especially the "Wars of the Roses" of Lancaster vs York, The Tudors, Queen Elizabeth I, Mary Queen of Scots, Queen Victoria, and now Queen Elizabeth II and the current royal family, so I'm loving all these shows, movies, and books. :D

Freypower
01-24-2017, 06:03 PM
I'm really loving "Victoria" too!!! :D It's got a very different tone from "The Crown" but it's oddly still a bit similar, but more mixed with "Downton Abbey" as it focuses on Queen Victoria's servants too at Buckingham Palace. Also oddly it's got some of the same actors as "The Crown" playing similar characters (especially the actor who plays Victoria's uncle King Leopold is the same who plays Queen Elizabeth II's uncle former King Edward VIII). I know it's not all the way historically accurate too but I really like they added a love triangle of Victoria, Albert, and Lord Melbourne.

Also besides loving "The Crown" I also recently watched the 2nd season of "The Hollow Crown", PBS/BBC's adaptation of the Shakespeare history plays, and Benedict Cumberbatch did amazing playing King Richard III!!! :D Plus, Ben found out recently he actually is related to Richard and all of the Plantagenets/Tudors so that was awesome finding that out as a fan of Ben's.

The British royalty has always been fascinating to me especially the "Wars of the Roses" of Lancaster vs York, The Tudors, Queen Elizabeth I, Mary Queen of Scots, Queen Victoria, and now Queen Elizabeth II and the current royal family, so I'm loving all these shows, movies, and books. :D

WHAT?????

When Victoria married Albert Lord M was consigned to history. He was a father figure to her, nothing else. Her relationships with men were very intense, true, but to call that a triangle when she gave herself body & soul to Albert is just ridiculous.

I'm glad to hear you are interested in this subject as I am reasonably knowledgeable on it. :bye:

LuvTim
01-24-2017, 06:48 PM
Regarding the Victoria series:

FP, so far, I somehow feel that there is really just a kind of "Father Figure" thing with Lord M, but the writers imply very strongly that Victoria is infatuated with him and interested in more. Lord M, however, has so far kept the whole thing in check, for his own reason, that being his continuing grief over the loss of his wife and son. So, we'll see.
You know how these writers can take license with history. :twisted: Who knows what they might come up with before it's over. Lol...no offense to our buffy, the very talented writer! ;-)

buffyfan145
01-25-2017, 11:24 AM
FP, the writers are making it a love triangle and the show actually already aired in the UK so I do know some spoilers but don't want to spoil LT too much. I know in real life it wasn't that way but Daisy Goodwin, the headwriter of the show and who has also written a novel about it, does portray Victoria and Lord M as having romantic feelings for each other but they aren't acting on it. Victoria confessed to him in this past episode that she was in love with him but he told her he can't, but then later at the ball they had for her uncle King Leopold Melbourne subtly confessed to her he does deeply care for her and comparing their relationship to Queen Elizabeth I and Robert Dudley (who they were also dressed up as), which many theorized were having an affair too, and that no matter what they want it can't happen.

The trailers also showed Albert getting extremely jealous of Lord M and how Victoria trusts him more than her soon to be husband. I'm going to read Daisy's novel after the first season ends on PBS but I've heard the book has more than what the show has, but Daisy did write in this triangle kind of similar to how Phillipa Gregory has done with some of her Plantagenet/Tudor novels, movies, and mini-series and the CW TV series "Reign".

Again I'm more of a shipper (fan of various romantic relationships) and love romantic twists like this if it's pulled off well but I'm clearly noticing what Daisy did with the writing and Jenna Coleman & Rufus Sewell's acting. Plus, there's rumors Rufus might be in season 2 as Lord M, when he wasn't that much involved after the time period season 1 covers. So they really aren't paying that much attention to historical accuracy.

LuvTim
01-25-2017, 11:34 AM
Oh, ok, bf, I concede the point! No fair, knowing the spoilers!! LOL...:-D

Freypower
01-25-2017, 05:10 PM
FP, the writers are making it a love triangle and the show actually already aired in the UK so I do know some spoilers but don't want to spoil LT too much. I know in real life it wasn't that way but Daisy Goodwin, the headwriter of the show and who has also written a novel about it, does portray Victoria and Lord M as having romantic feelings for each other but they aren't acting on it. Victoria confessed to him in this past episode that she was in love with him but he told her he can't, but then later at the ball they had for her uncle King Leopold Melbourne subtly confessed to her he does deeply care for her and comparing their relationship to Queen Elizabeth I and Robert Dudley (who they were also dressed up as), which many theorized were having an affair too, and that no matter what they want it can't happen.

The trailers also showed Albert getting extremely jealous of Lord M and how Victoria trusts him more than her soon to be husband. I'm going to read Daisy's novel after the first season ends on PBS but I've heard the book has more than what the show has, but Daisy did write in this triangle kind of similar to how Phillipa Gregory has done with some of her Plantagenet/Tudor novels, movies, and mini-series and the CW TV series "Reign".

Again I'm more of a shipper (fan of various romantic relationships) and love romantic twists like this if it's pulled off well but I'm clearly noticing what Daisy did with the writing and Jenna Coleman & Rufus Sewell's acting. Plus, there's rumors Rufus might be in season 2 as Lord M, when he wasn't that much involved after the time period season 1 covers. So they really aren't paying that much attention to historical accuracy.

Thank you for expanding on this. It's true that at the height of their relationship Victoria was jeered at & called 'Mrs Melbourne'.

Melbourne ceased to be Prime Minister in 1841 and died in 1848, so it's hard to see how the character can have much more to do in the second series. I will pass over how much younger the actor is than the man actually was.

This expands a bit more on the relationship:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2016/09/05/victoria-fact-vs-fiction-the-queen-didnt-propose-to-lord-melbour/

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-01-25/meet-the-real-life-lord-melbourne--queen-victorias-closest-advisor

There is a huge difference between the Victoria/Melbourne relationship & the Elizabeth/Dudley one. Dudley was pretty much the only man Elizabeth ever loved, while Victoria famously married Albert & mourned him for 40 years after his death at 42. There would be possibly more historical validity in the TV series reading more into her relationship with her Scottish servant John Brown.

I am not a fan of Philippa Gregory. I will leave it at that. As long as you're enjoying it fine, but I insist on some degree of accuracy before I watch these types of shows, which is why I wouldn't watch The Tudors & still less Reign (I did watch Wolf Hall).

buffyfan145
01-25-2017, 05:33 PM
Thanks for expanding on that FP. :) It is fascinating for me finding out the real stories too compared to watching it more fictionalized on TV or in books. I don't have a problem with historical fiction usually, but sometimes it's a bit far fetched. This case though I can totally see how Victoria could've fallen for Melbourne (especially since it's Rufus and he's younger LOL) and there is chemistry between the actors. From what I did read too "Victoria" will also start focusing on Albert now that he's finally arrived and showing that they did end up falling in love (another twist as I read she loved Albert since she was a teen in real life) and Melbourne's take on their relationship. I'm also looking forward to seeing how that plays out since the actor playing Albert is Jenna Coleman's real life boyfriend (and has been for years) so they'll probably be able to pull off them falling in love.

LOL LT!!! :D I hate that PBS does this with most shows and it was so hard when "Downton Abbey" aired months before we got it here in the US. Thankfully they stopped that with "Sherlock" but I wish they did that with the others UK shows.

buffyfan145
02-02-2017, 11:38 AM
Having done some more research myself now about "Victoria" seems like Daisy wasn't making Victoria & Melbourne's relationship as fictional as I first thought. Daisy wrote some articles when her book was published and before the show started airing in the UK last summer about why she chose to write Victoria & Melbourne's relationship as romantic and it goes back about 15-20 years ago when Daisy was in college in the UK and took a class on Victoria. She read Victoria's diaries, which are available to read online for free as they're in the public domain, and even though they're censored Victoria gushed about her Lord M exactly like any teenager would do with their first love. It's obvious from her writings how much she had a crush on him and was falling in love with him.

And from Daisy's articles & interviews she explained too that doing research on Melbourne that she thinks he felt the same way but again knew he could never act on it. The fact he died 8 years after Victoria married Albert seems telling. She thinks that combined with losing his first wife, his son's death, losing his role as Prime Minister, and losing Victoria (as they really didn't have any contact after she married besides letters) is what caused him to have a stroke and end up just getting sicker and sicker till his death. Rufus Sewell also said in some interviews and his podcast on Monday with PBS that he at first wasn't going to do the role, as he though it was too romanticized, till he looked at the research and it convinced him.

Daisy also revealed that Victoria's daughter (I'm assuming her oldest Princess Vicky as she wasn't named) caught her mother burning all the letters Victoria & Melbourne sent to each other after he died. That seemed telling to me too and now I get why he's rumored to be a part of season 2 still as I think they'll show his death and how it effected Victoria still.

I also do like Albert on the show and know the show is switching now to focus more on Victoria's relationship with him too and she did fall in love deeply with Albert. Was sad seeing Melbourne's reaction to seeing this happen and him being almost outcasted but it has to come to and end. I'm going to be a mess next week with Melbourne's last episode next week, but at the same time happy for Victoria finding a good and loving husband too.

So pretty much Daisy wanted to tell this story and I think she did a great job showing it. It does seem really believable, especially when you compare it to how the Royal Family has stopped other marriages from happening, especially what we've seen recently on "The Crown" as Princess Margaret was forbidden to marry Peter Townsend. Apparently Julian Fellows (the creator of "Downton Abbey") also touched a bit on this in his "The Young Victoria" movie so I'll be watching that soon too. But I'm loving this series and this whole story and especially Jenna and Rufus' acting. :D

Freypower
02-02-2017, 04:59 PM
I think this Daisy woman has put far too much 21st century interpretation into it. I see no analogy with the Margaret/Townsend situation at all. Victoria was never going to marry her own Prime Minister. The writer has obviously decided that facts aren't enough & it has to be spiced up for dramatic interest.

We will never know the full truth but I guess it annoys me that people will watch this show & assume this interpretation must be correct. If anything I think it is highly exaggerated.

Victoria's youngest daughter Beatrice burned the letters.

buffyfan145
02-02-2017, 05:46 PM
Personally I don't have a problem with it as I usually take historical fiction better if it's written well and I can see how she came up with the idea to write it this way. Reminds me a lot of the movie "Roman Holiday" as well a Jane Austen novel (especially "Sense & Sensibility" but with a reversed ending for Marianne), which I also love both. Just find it funny now based solely on the show and the actors performances I and many other viewers love Melbourne much more than Albert and I'm going to be really sad to see Rufus' final season one ep this weekend.

ETA: Rufus confirmed he's coming back for season 2!!! :D Now it won't be as sad to watch what I thought was his final episode. LOL

NightMistBlue
02-06-2017, 05:16 PM
Did anyone stay up late after the SuperBowl to watch the new version of "24"? It was very good I thought, exciting. Another episode is on tonight.

buffyfan145
02-06-2017, 05:40 PM
I DVR'd it since it was on so late and I was just tired afterwards. I loved the original "24" and excited to check it out. :D

ETA: Just watched the first episode and really liked it!!! :D Feels like the old show and liking the new characters and mystery. Didn't know if they would work without Jack Bauer but good so far. Looking forward to episode 2 tonight and when Tony Almedia comes back.

Annoying Twit
02-07-2017, 06:21 AM
I've recently binge-watched 'Witless' on BBC3 and found an amusing and interesting sit-com. Warning to anyone who doesn't like cliff-hangers at the end of a series: This series has them.

I've watched some of 'Santa Clarita Diet'. Interesting show, but it certainly is very dark comedy.

NightMistBlue
02-07-2017, 09:37 AM
ETA: Just watched the first episode and really liked it!!! :D Feels like the old show and liking the new characters and mystery. Didn't know if they would work without Jack Bauer but good so far. Looking forward to episode 2 tonight and when Tony Almedia comes back.

It felt like the original show to me too. I hate to let you down, but I didn't see Tony Almeida in the second episode.

buffyfan145
02-07-2017, 11:32 AM
That's ok as I figured he wasn't in episode 2 yet as his casting came out well after they started filming. He was in the ads though so it should be soon.

UndertheWire
02-11-2017, 04:29 PM
Did anyone watch Legion? Yes, I know it's another superheo series but, going by the first episode, it's quite different to all the others. I found it fascinating and if they can keep it up, it could be something quite special. The reviews are stellar.

secret squirrel
03-03-2017, 10:17 AM

Also loved Victoria and not surprised that Jenna and Tom are together in real life. Read a coffee table book on the series with lots of Victoria's letters in it that I got from the library. Very interesting.

SS
xx
http://secretsquirrelshorts.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/vikings-on-history-ragnartravis-fimmel.html

secret squirrel
03-03-2017, 10:26 AM
I was about to come here and post this. I'm soo happy that This Is US will be with us until 2019, but I hate its only 18 episodes. That means it will end way before May where most shows ends.

:headbang:

In UK, it's been moved from 10 pm to past 11. Wonder if it's viewing figures. So much better than the rest they have on.

SS
xx
http://secretsquirrelshorts.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/vikings-on-history-ragnartravis-fimmel.html

secret squirrel
03-03-2017, 10:31 AM
Even though I don't watch "The Walking Dead" I am a fan of Jeffery Dean Morgan and have seen how other TWD fans love him on there. He does have a huge fanbase especially with us women who loved him on "Grey's Anatomy" and some films (me) and others who love him from playing the 2 main characters' dad on "Supernatural". So a lot of it is love for JDM not his character.

Didn't get the JDM appeal till I saw him in The Good Wife. Then I had to admit he was pretty damn sexy.

SS
xx

buffyfan145
03-03-2017, 11:59 AM
Also loved Victoria and not surprised that Jenna and Tom are together in real life. Read a coffee table book on the series with lots of Victoria's letters in it that I got from the library. Very interesting.

I loved the show so much and I'm very excited for season 2!!! :D They're filming now and ITV/PBS did reveal it will cover the entire 1840s so it's going to cover a lot of things and will make for some really good drama. I did see about that book and will have to look into. I'm reading the historical fiction novel the show is based on now and loving it, especially since I do ship Victoria a bit more with Melbourne than Albert (but I ship both LOL). Plus, Rufus Sewell did confirm he's going to be in season 2, just as a guest star but that's going to be emotional since it more than likely will be to write in his character's death. I'm also catching up on some of Rufus' other shows & movies and loved his Italian detective miniseries "Zen" and looking forward to finally watching his other current show "The Man in the High Castle".

LuvTim
03-03-2017, 12:27 PM
I loved the show so much and I'm very excited for season 2!!! :D They're filming now and ITV/PBS did reveal it will cover the entire 1840s so it's going to cover a lot of things and will make for some really good drama. I did see about that book and will have to look into. I'm reading the historical fiction novel the show is based on now and loving it, especially since I do ship Victoria a bit more with Melbourne than Albert (but I ship both LOL). Plus, Rufus Sewell did confirm he's going to be in season 2, just as a guest star but that's going to be emotional since it more than likely will be to write in his character's death. I'm also catching up on some of Rufus' other shows & movies and loved his Italian detective miniseries "Zen" and looking forward to finally watching his other current show "The Man in the High Castle".

What, exactly, does the word "ship" mean, the way you have used it here? Is it slang for something like "love their relationship?" Thanks, Buffy. :-)

buffyfan145
03-03-2017, 06:27 PM
What, exactly, does the word "ship" mean, the way you have used it here? Is it slang for something like "love their relationship?" Thanks, Buffy. :-)

Yes, ship is being a fan of a romantic relationship or sometimes even a friendship. I've usually got one in almost all of my shows, movies, and books. I know the term has actually been around since at least the 90s with fan sites and fan fiction starting up, but I've read an article about it once in Entertainment Weekly that it actually might've started as a "Star Trek" fan term that took off.

buffyfan145
03-21-2017, 07:50 PM
For fellow "Downton Abbey" fans the actor who played Violet's (Maggie Smith) butler Spratt confirmed that the cast has signed on for a film and has seen the script!!! :D They just are still trying to find dates to film the movie since a lot of the other cast have other TV shows & movies. Michelle Dockery also talked about it recently too so hopefully they'll be able to figure something out soon that works for everyone as this movie has been teased since before the show ended. From what I've heard before it'll pick up where the show ended and be released at the movie theater.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-39326666

Dawn
03-21-2017, 09:14 PM
Hooray great news about Downtown Abbey ..thanks! :yay:

WalshFan88
03-24-2017, 02:15 AM
I wish I could get into some TV shows...all of my favorites are no longer in production. Some love The Walking Dead but I can't get into it and I can't be bothered to watch a ton of back episodes to get the story. Breaking Bad didn't do it for me either, but I LOVED the fact they brought Badfinger's "Baby Blue" back on the charts for a bit. Such a underrated band with a sad story.

I wanted to like "Vinyl" but it wasn't my thing either.

Brooke
03-24-2017, 09:46 AM
I wish I could get into some TV shows...all of my favorites are no longer in production. Some love The Walking Dead but I can't get into it and I can't be bothered to watch a ton of back episodes to get the story. Breaking Bad didn't do it for me either, but I LOVED the fact they brought Badfinger's "Baby Blue" back on the charts for a bit. Such a underrated band with a sad story.

I wanted to like "Vinyl" but it wasn't my thing either.

OMG, I LOVED Badfinger and that song back in the day! I didn't know this! I don't know their story either! Must look it up!

Thanks for the tidbit, WF!

ETA: I'm sad that This Is Us, Vikings, and The Blacklist is on break now too! Can't find much to watch except HGTV. There's usually something of interest there for me.

Delilah
04-03-2017, 05:01 PM
Well, another season ended on The Walking Dead. I thought this season was so much better than last season. And the finale was excellent, directed by Greg Nicotero. I seem to like the episodes he directs and writes better than the Scott what-his-name's (Gimple?). I don't want to say too much more since others may not have watched it yet but there were surprises I didn't see coming. I love that.

secret squirrel
04-12-2017, 12:00 PM
I'm crazy about Homeland. Finally learnt to love Peter Quinn. Wrote this.

Anyone agree?

SS
xx

http://secretsquirrelshorts.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/peter-quinn-rupert-friend-in-homeland.html

(http://secretsquirrelshorts.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/peter-quinn-rupert-friend-in-homeland.html)

(http://secretsquirrelshorts.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/peter-quinn-rupert-friend-in-homeland.html)

UndertheWire
04-14-2017, 08:46 AM
I've been meaning to try Homeland. I just need to the "box set" to show up on a service I subscribe to. Along with having enough time to watch.

I've been enjoying a Showtime programme called "The Circus". It's quite hard for me to describe but it's like a real-life "The West Wing" from the viewpoint of political journalists. It's weekly and covers the previous week in Washington politics. Sometimes it's the journalists chatting over breakfast or on the phone about what's going on. Sometimes they're attending press briefings. Sometimes they're hanging around outside a committee room and trying to get comments from various congressmen as they pass by. The last episode had a journalist in Florida for the visit by the Chinese president talking to one of Trump's old cronies followed by a walk on the beach with a Democrat billionaire who lives a few houses away from the Trump's club and who showed how close they could get unchallenged to the place where the leaders of the two most poweful leaders in the world were about to meet. The week with the Healthcare Bill vote was particularly good as they explained the kind of negotiations that were going on. In the UK, it's shown on Sky Atlantic on Tuesdays.

buffyfan145
04-19-2017, 10:45 AM
Don't know if anyone has been watching the new show "Feud" but it has been amazing!!! :D Ryan Murphy's made another great show for FX and season one is about the feud between Bette Davis and Joan Crawford. Susan Sarandon and Jessica Lange have been amazing as Bette & Joan, and I love the costumes and the rest of the cast. The season finale is on Sunday but it's already been renewed for a 2nd season which will depict the marriage of Prince Charles and Princess Diana.

Dawn
04-19-2017, 01:40 PM
I wish there would be a Mad Men reunion I'd love to see the cast again .. One of my all time favorite shows so well scripted -- ok a little weird at times lol! - and the music was so cool!

Delilah
04-21-2017, 01:00 PM
Don't know if anyone has been watching the new show "Feud" but it has been amazing!!! :D Ryan Murphy's made another great show for FX and season one is about the feud between Bette Davis and Joan Crawford. Susan Sarandon and Jessica Lange have been amazing as Bette & Joan, and I love the costumes and the rest of the cast. The season finale is on Sunday but it's already been renewed for a 2nd season which will depict the marriage of Prince Charles and Princess Diana.

I caught part of this the other night and I can't believe I've been missing this!! I'm now going to have to play catch-up with On-Demand. I didn't know Joan Crawford was originally going to play Olivia de Havilland's role in "Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte." Fascinating stuff.

buffyfan145
04-21-2017, 04:48 PM
I caught part of this the other night and I can't believe I've been missing this!! I'm now going to have to play catch-up with On-Demand. I didn't know Joan Crawford was originally going to play Olivia de Havilland's role in "Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte." Fascinating stuff.

I had no idea about that too and they shot most of the movie with Joan so that had to be weird reshooting it all with Olivia. It's been so good.

RudieCantFail
04-30-2017, 04:40 AM
Nothing really new, but I really enjoy watching ESPN's "30 for 30" sports documentary series. It does a really good job on explaining events that I never even knew about. "Benji" and "Without Bias" are sad, since they tell the stories of basketball players that could possibly have been NBA stars but their dreams were left unfulfilled due to tragedy. "One and Not Done" is the most recent one about John Calipari from the University of Kentucky, and it's about his rise as an NCAA coach who pushes his players to leave college to make big money in an NBA contract.

Also, there was one about Foxcatcher, and I learned that I actually went to school with one of the sons of the wrestlers that John DuPont sponsored. I was like, 'the dude that's being interviewed has the same last name, he wrestles, and he looks familiar - just like his son that I used to know.' This doc was better than the movie with Steve Carell.

I can't wait to watch the Celtics vs Lakers one in June.

secret squirrel
04-30-2017, 03:53 PM
OMG, I LOVED Badfinger and that song back in the day! I didn't know this! I don't know their story either! Must look it up!

Thanks for the tidbit, WF!

ETA: I'm sad that This Is Us, Vikings, and The Blacklist is on break now too! Can't find much to watch except HGTV. There's usually something of interest there for me.

Just bought the boxset of Vikings for a Ragnar/Athelstan fix.

SS
xx

buffyfan145
05-09-2017, 10:34 AM
I'm really sad and disappointed right now with "Once Upon a Time" with finding out that not only is the main actress Jennifer Morrison leaving but 5 of the other 9 series regulars are leaving after this current season as well. :( ABC needs to do the smart thing and just cancel it. I can't see it going on for a 7th season without Jennifer's Emma, which the whole show was built around and even keeping Colin O'Donoghue, who now plays her husband. It just doesn't make sense as so many of us watched it knowing it was her story and this 7th season is confirmed as a reboot with new characters and a new story being added. I just know I'll never count season 7 as a season or watch it if it happens, and even if ABC and the writers make it I doubt it'll even last beyond it as majority of us aren't going to watch. I wish they would've planned ahead to make this the final season so we all could've had it ended the way we wanted and should've had.

What made it worse was that Jennifer, the writers, and ABC announced her leaving the day after her character got married and I loved that episode and the musical as the cast is so musically talented. :cry:

NightMistBlue
05-09-2017, 12:16 PM
Just bought the boxset of Vikings for a Ragnar/Athelstan fix.

SS
xx

Oh my gosh! That's so cool to see the video of the Viking hombres as regular joes all sitting together on a couch. I haven't seen Versailles but look forward to reading your blog entry over my lunch hour.

UndertheWire
05-09-2017, 01:40 PM

Dredging up this old comment because I found the BBC Wales short documentary on the band on youtube. It this doesn't work for you, there are a few other copies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehOycK2eK0U

Brooke
05-09-2017, 03:23 PM
Thank you UtW! I'm watching it right now!

ETA: What a sad story. I've always loved some of their songs.

Dudding
05-16-2017, 04:43 AM
Thank you UtW! I'm watching zeta clear I bought here (https://fitmapped.com/my-zetaclear-review-results) yesterday.

I thought the first couple of episodes of American Gods on Amazon was pretty good.

shunlvswx
05-16-2017, 11:01 AM
For those who love This Is Us. They are moving to Thursdays this fall. It will be on at the same time. 9:00pm Eastern/8:00pm Central. Also Will & Grace is coming back. So its going to be an interesting Thursday night.

secret squirrel
05-26-2017, 01:17 PM
Oh my gosh! That's so cool to see the video of the Viking hombres as regular joes all sitting together on a couch. I haven't seen Versailles but look forward to reading your blog entry over my lunch hour.

Cheers, NMB. Sadly, the second season of Versailles is not as much fun as the 1st.

Did anyone catch The Case of JonBenet Ramsey documentary? I've always been fascinated by the case and the programme got me thinking and inspired another blog:

http://aweaponryofwords.blogspot.co.uk/2017/05/jonbenet-ramsey-ramseys-in-their-own.html

SS
xx

secret squirrel
05-26-2017, 01:32 PM

That's the first time I heard it too. Now people are using it of Carrie and Quinn in Homeland and I understand. Thanks.

SS
xx
http://secretsquirrelshorts.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/peter-quinn-rupert-friend-in-homeland.html

NightMistBlue
05-26-2017, 02:36 PM
Your blog is very interesting, Squirrel. Even if Burke hit her with a hammer and killed her, that still means her parents would have had to construct and use that ligature on her, which I can't imagine a parent doing to a 6-year old child. Not even to save their other child. But who knows... looks like we'll never know.

buffyfan145
05-26-2017, 04:33 PM
You're welcome SS. :) I'm just surprised people still don't know the term "ship". I first learned about it in the late 90s getting into the "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" fandom and magazines I and my Mom used to get about my soap operas. Entertainment Weekly even did an issue a couple years ago all about ships before and how it started a lot of fanfiction over the decades.

AlreadyGone95
06-01-2017, 07:01 PM
I've recently started watching The X-files, and I really like it. Night Court and Kolchak, The Night Stalker have become must watch for me on Laff TV and METV. I'm also pumped for the new season of America's Got Talent.

buffyfan145
06-23-2017, 10:15 AM
I loved National Geographic miniseries "Genius"!!! :D It just finished it's first season back on Tuesday and it was about Albert Einstein. Geoffrey Rush played him from 50 on, while Johnny Flynn played the younger Albert from teens - 40s. It was so well done and made by Ron Howard, and learned more things about Einstein that I didn't know previously. Season 2 got announced as well to be about Pablo Picasso, and if it continues each season will be about a different person.

But I'm also super impressed with Johnny Flynn as not only is he a British actor, but he's a musician!!! :D His first album came out 10 years ago and he toured with Mumford & Sons, and just released a new album back in January. His music is similar to them but also has an Irish feel to me, but also alt-rock and folk. I love his songs and his voice is really unique. Still shocked he's actually a blonde with blue eyes, as he dyed it dark and wore brown contacts to play Albert. LOL So glad for this show introducing me to him.

NightMistBlue
06-23-2017, 11:32 AM
Buff, you would be the greatest casting director ever. Seriously.

I like the Night Stalker too! The monster costumes (no special effects) are amateurish by today's standards but it's still a very endearing show.

DJ
06-28-2017, 01:56 PM
Been watching a lot of Netflix. Grace and Frankie with Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin is hilarious. Of course watched the new season of Orange is the New Black. And found a new series, Queen of the South. A must see. Also found a funny new series with Drew Barrymore, The Santa Clarita diet. She plays a Mom,Wife who by accident gets turned into a Zombie, A suburban zombie! Too funny. I always go back to my binge shows, Nurse Jackie, Sons of Anarchy and Weeds. And of course on TV The Golden Girls. I still belly laugh at all those jokes. Peace out.

buffyfan145
07-08-2017, 04:40 PM
I've found some really great shows recently through Netflix or DVDs. First being the UK show "Grantchester", which airs on PBS here in the US. It's similar to "Father Brown", but the character Sidney is an Anglican vicar so he actually can date. LOL I love him helping to solve crimes and his friendship he strikes up with the detective Geordie. The other two shows are both Netflix ones, the first being UK set comedy "Lovesick" which I checked out since it stars Johnny Flynn (who I posted about in "Genius") and it's great, and the other is 80s wrestling comedy "Glow" which I used to watch as a kid and inspired this fictional behind the scenes show.

I've also of course been loving the final seasons of "Orphan Black" and "Broadchurch" too.

NightMistBlue
08-02-2017, 04:09 PM
First being the UK show "Grantchester", which airs on PBS here in the US.

The lead actor, James Norton, is so gorgeous. There's apparently indication that he's leaving? http://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-radio/835685/Grantchester-Bosses-hint-star-James-Norton-is-LEAVING-amid-UNCERTAINTY-around-season-four

I feel slightly ashamed to admit that I'm watching something on E! but I'm rather enjoying Hollywood Medium: Tyler Henry.

Pippinwhite
08-02-2017, 04:26 PM
I love "Major Crimes", spinoff from "The Closer." Can't wait until it starts back up this season!

buffyfan145
08-02-2017, 04:56 PM
He is NMB. LOL :D I saw him in a couple miniseries before and liked him then too. Did see those rumors but it just ended their season on PBS and the book series goes well into the 70s, where the show is still in the 50s, so they do have a lot of material to keep going. And PBS made it seem like it wasn't over and the ending didn't feel like a final ending to me so we'll see.

WalshFan88
08-02-2017, 08:08 PM
Right now there are no current shows that excite me.

It's sad, as I love getting excited about shows but there just isn't anything I like.

UndertheWire
08-03-2017, 04:22 AM
I'm watching "Top of the Lake:China Girl". Actually, I'm almost at the end of rewatching the first series because I'd forgotten so much.

It stars Elizabeth Moss and is directed and co-written by Jane Campion. The first series is set in South Island, New Zealand (somewhere near Queenstown, I think)and is the story of a missing, pregnant 12-year-old girl and the female detective who is involved in the case.

The second series is set in Sydney and has the same detective dealing with a dead girl in a suitcase as well as her own issues. It also has Nicole Kidman as a woman who takes her inspiration from Germaine Greer.

travlnman2
08-03-2017, 10:36 AM
Game Of Thrones is the best show on television

buffyfan145
08-06-2017, 04:34 PM
I just recently finished the 3rd season of the "Voltron" reboot on Netflix and it's been amazing!!! :D This is one of the rare examples imo that a reboot has been better than the original show since this new version has been able to add in more storylines and a 2nd main female character than the 80s original. I wasn't even born yet when the original aired but did see repeats in the early 90s, so I might be more accepting to the new version since I was so young. Season 3 too was also more darker in tone and we got more backstory and hints at things to come, while also having some great shoutouts to the 80s show and incorporating more of the main storylines from the original. Love that the voice cast also has some actors I already knew of from their live-action shows, with the big one being Steven Yeun who played Glenn on "The Walking Dead" and voices Keith. And it's great knowing that Netflix gave it a 78 episode order and only 31 have aired so far with season 4 coming in October. :D

buffyfan145
08-20-2017, 10:10 AM
Been watching some great shows lately on Netflix starting with just finishing up "The Defenders" (the Marvel miniseries) and it's been amazing seeing all these characters from their 4 shows "Daredevil", "Jessica Jones", "Luke Cage", and "Iron Fist" all interacting and teaming up to save New York. Felt very similar to when I saw the first "Avengers" movie and it's just so well done. Changes things for the direction of the 4 shows as well as the new "The Punisher" series which is out in November, and introduces new friendships and romantic parings and really funny at times too.

Then "Atypical" is a new comedy series on Netflix too with a great cast. "Halt and Catch Fire" came back last night on AMC for it's final season and it's still one of TV's best that hardly anyone is watching but should be. Tells the story of fictional tech workers originally set in the 80s but now it's in the 90s. "Orphan Black" also just finished it's final season and I loved it so much and will miss it very much.

So now all my fall shows are getting ready to start which makes me grateful again for my DVR and Netflix so I can stay caught up with them all. LOL :D

Freypower
08-20-2017, 08:00 PM

Yes, it is. It's getting better with every season.:bow:

Brooke
08-21-2017, 12:35 PM

I've never seen it! :lol:

I struggle to watch much of anything on tv! Cardinals Baseball and Nashville are about all I can seem to fit in!

New Kid In Town
08-21-2017, 01:00 PM
Brooke - Lol - I have never seen it either.
I have a few friends who are huge GOT fans. I am considering borrowing past seasons from my local library.

NightMistBlue
09-22-2017, 04:18 PM
Is anyone watching the Ken Burns' multi-part Vietnam documentary on PBS? It's brutal and sad - what else could it be - but I somehow manage to end up watching every night, even when I say to myself "I can't watch this anymore"!

One critic I read actually criticized the program for its diversity of viewpoint, but this is admirable, IMO. The critic wanted Burns to take a position (who was the "bad guy," who was most at fault) but I don't see how that could be instructive, not with a subject this complex.

OT: Trent Reznor does the disturbing original music. It sounds like a horror film soundtrack to me, but whatever floats your boat.

Midnight_Flyer
10-30-2017, 08:06 PM
one of my new(ish) favourite tv shows is American Horror Story, i love them, i am currently on season 4 (Freakshow)

buffyfan145
10-30-2017, 09:01 PM
I just finished "Stranger Things" season 2 today and loved it so much!!! :D In some ways it was even better than the first.

secret squirrel
11-03-2017, 01:22 PM
I'm watching "Top of the Lake:China Girl". Actually, I'm almost at the end of rewatching the first series because I'd forgotten so much.

It stars Elizabeth Moss and is directed and co-written by Jane Campion.

Liked ToL and also Handmaid's Tale, also with Elisabeth Moss.

SS
xx
http://secretsquirrelreviews.blogspot.co.uk/2017/10/movie-12-hours-to-live-but-believe-me.html

secret squirrel
11-03-2017, 01:24 PM
Your blog is very interesting, Squirrel. Even if Burke hit her with a hammer and killed her, that still means her parents would have had to construct and use that ligature on her, which I can't imagine a parent doing to a 6-year old child. Not even to save their other child. But who knows... looks like we'll never know.

Thanks, NMB. Such a strange case. Always intrigued me. Poor JonBenet.

SS
xx
http://secretsquirrelreviews.blogspot.co.uk/2017/10/movie-12-hours-to-live-but-believe-me.html

secret squirrel
11-03-2017, 01:31 PM
But I'm also super impressed with Johnny Flynn as not only is he a British actor, but he's a musician!!! :D His first album came out 10 years ago and he toured with Mumford & Sons, and just released a new album back in January. His music is similar to them but also has an Irish feel to me, but also alt-rock and folk. I love his songs and his voice is really unique. Still shocked he's actually a blonde with blue eyes, as he dyed it dark and wore brown contacts to play Albert. LOL So glad for this show introducing me to him.

Haven't seen Genius but like Johnny Flynn. He wrote the theme to a UK TV show called The Detectorists (not super impressed by the series). He was also in a series that might have been called Brothers. Quite charming in that. He's played the US a bit and has a following there.

Here's a fave of mine: Bottom of the Sea Blues.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ire8x95Q6ys

in which he appears to be wearing a jumper of mine ...?

Also try The Water, here with a Mumford.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B60HAn2eu3o

SS
xx

Annoying Twit
11-04-2017, 04:17 PM
Not a favourite show, but I think 'The Good Place' is an enjoyable light confection of a TV show. Those who enjoy 'The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt' (spelling?) might enjoy this show.

DJ
11-06-2017, 03:41 PM
I just finished "Stranger Things" season 2 today and loved it so much!!! :D In some ways it was even better than the first.

It was Great wasn't it. People would think awe it's a kid show, but it truly captures your mind and sucks you in! Love all the actors. Are you in "The Upside Down" :rofl::spin:

buffyfan145
11-06-2017, 06:13 PM
Totally agree DJ!!! :D It's fantastic and they have such a great cast. I watched the after-show/interviews Netflix put up with the cast and crew too and you learn so much. The writers are only a couple years older than me, but makes sense as I too love so much that influenced "Stranger Things" and the 80s. They even had Bill Nye the Science Guy on the after-show to explain more of the science which actually is possibly real like multiverses. Plus, it's always fun finding the Easter eggs and shoutouts to all the 70s, 80s, and even 90s movies/shows/video games.

RudieCantFail
11-15-2017, 03:53 AM
Has anyone seen the Law and Order: True Crime series about the Menendez brothers? It's sort of like American Crime Story w/ OJ lite. I don't know if I believe the abuse theory, but it's plausible. However, the money theory is possible as well. If that sort of brutality in the murders was justified by money, I have a hard time believing that. I can believe the rage of it from abuse. The abuse just makes the money theory murky, since maybe they felt finally free after all that abuse if it were true.

The show made them sympathetic and portrayed as if the abuse were true. I wasn't alive when the trials happened, so I don't know how they acted for real when it was on TV. The first two episodes made them look suspicious, but the latter six made them look 'better.'

Brooke
11-15-2017, 11:13 AM
I've been watching the Menendez trial too. I didn't get to watch last night's finale, but have it recorded to watch tonight. Very intriguing!

I remember when it happened being on the news but didn't follow it closely and just assumed they were guilty. Which they are, but if the abuse is true, I don't blame them one bit. It sounded horrible. I cannot imagine parents being so mean to little kids. Makes me sick! Can't wait to watch the end tonight! I'll try to stay out of here in case someone wants to discuss!

secret squirrel
11-18-2017, 02:21 PM
Has anyone seen the Law and Order: True Crime series about the Menendez brothers? It's sort of like American Crime Story w/ OJ lite. I don't know if I believe the abuse theory, but it's plausible. However, the money theory is possible as well. If that sort of brutality in the murders was justified by money, I have a hard time believing that. I can believe the rage of it from abuse. The abuse just makes the money theory murky, since maybe they felt finally free after all that abuse if it were true.

The show made them sympathetic and portrayed as if the abuse were true. I wasn't alive when the trials happened, so I don't know how they acted for real when it was on TV. The first two episodes made them look suspicious, but the latter six made them look 'better.'

I'm fascinated by these true crime things but this hasn't come out here. I had heard of the Menendez Case and always believed the brothers to be guilty but didn't know the background. Will try to catch it if comes here.

SS
xx
http://aweaponryofwords.blogspot.co.uk/2017/05/jonbenet-ramsey-ramseys-in-their-own.html

Brooke
11-20-2017, 03:23 PM
So, the Memendez brothers both got life without parole. I still feel like they should have gotten the manslaughter sentence. There were pictures that confirmed the sexual abuse. How could these little kids make up something so horrific?

But then, Lyle tried to get some of the witnesses to amplify their testimonies. If he would have left it alone, they might have gotten off with manslaughter.

And that Judge! He was so unfair to the defense lawyers. He was against them the whole time wanting a conviction to make himself look good. Should have had a different judge for the second trial.

Thoughts?

The Disco Strangler
12-17-2017, 12:20 PM
I'm really enjoying the Frankie Drake Mysteries airing on CBC. :thumbsup:

secret squirrel
01-09-2018, 10:59 AM
BBC have made Line of Duty available on BBCiplayer, all seasons. Realised I'd missed the 1st season. Absolutely riveting telly. Great script, great acting. Got to credit the creator Jed Mercurio (surely not his real name?).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01k9pn6/line-of-duty-series-1-episode-1

SS
xx
secretsquirrelshorts.blogspot.co.uk/

peneumbra
01-09-2018, 05:47 PM
The Menendez Brothers are innocent.

O.J. did it...:p

buffyfan145
01-09-2018, 06:13 PM
Most of mine are finally coming back from the holiday hiatus or are mid-season shows in general. Am excited "Riverdale" is getting a spinoff of "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" (as "Riverdale" is based off Archie Comics) and they casted Kiernan Shipka (who played Sally on "Mad Men") as Sabrina. I grew up on the 90s show and it got me into Archie Comics. Even though the new show will be Netflix I'm hoping she'll still be able to appear on "Riverdale" and vice versa as her town Greendale has been shown and she's been hinted at, and both shows have the same writers and producers. Will be a darker version based off a recent comic storyline and already was picked up for two seasons.

MaryCalifornia
01-09-2018, 09:38 PM
I really enjoyed the Menendez series, I just called it "Menendez" - I would tell my kids, "Not now, I'm watching Menendez!" Terrible tragedy all around.

I also loved "Feud: Betty and Joan" on FX.

Next up on FX is The Gianni Versace murder docudrama series. So sad! But I will def be watching - Ryan Murphy does a great job with these.

LuvTim
01-10-2018, 12:43 AM
Just finished "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel" on Amazon Prime. Excellent!

secret squirrel
01-11-2018, 01:57 PM
The Menendez Brothers are innocent.

O.J. did it...:p

And so did Oscar Pistorius

http://pistoriusontrial.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/who-put-story-in-pistorius-my-thoughts.html

SS
xx
http://secretsquirrelreviews.blogspot.co.uk/

shunlvswx
01-11-2018, 02:32 PM
I tried to watch the Menendez Brothers show. I couldn't. They are soo twisted

Oh and Robert Blake is guilty as heck. :rofl:

Do anybody watch the Good Doctor? I watched a few episodes, but I haven't watched it in a while.

I'm glad This Is Us is back. I hate when its over in a month or two. I think the season finale is in March and I have nothing to watch on Tuesday. Dancing With the Stars should be starting back in March. So their are goes my Mondays.

buffyfan145
01-11-2018, 06:09 PM
I'm happy "This is Us" is back too Shun!!! :D However, not sure how much it'll air in Feb since they'll be airing the Winter Olympics. It will however get the post Super Bowl slot with a new episode. I also am looking forward to checking out the show that takes over it's timeslot in March "Rise" as it's made by the same people who did "Friday Night Lights" and about a high school drama/musical theater class and the teacher that guides them.

FannyBeTender
01-11-2018, 10:55 PM
Emergency! (my all-time favorite tv show)

The Orville

shunlvswx
01-11-2018, 11:35 PM
Oh. I love Get Smart. Would you believe i have 100 of tapes. Nope. How about 50. No. Ok. How about 2 tapes and phone. Lol

Brooke
01-12-2018, 04:09 PM
I really enjoyed the Menendez series, I just called it "Menendez" - I would tell my kids, "Not now, I'm watching Menendez!" Terrible tragedy all around.

Next up on FX is The Gianni Versace murder docudrama series. So sad! But I will def be watching - Ryan Murphy does a great job with these.

Menendez was a horrible tragedy. How did you feel about the outcome?

I want to see Versace too. I saw his mansion on Ocean Drive in Miami when we visited there.

NightMistBlue
02-26-2018, 01:42 PM
Emergency! (my all-time favorite tv show)

I knew I liked you, Fanny! :) Everytime I'm home sick, I have to watch Adam-12 and Emergency, at least a few minutes of it.

Last night, exhausted from a day of painting, I vegged on the couch and watched two parts (an hour each) of the CNN documentary "The Radical Story of Patty Hearst." It was fascinating. Somewhat unexpected for a left-leaning network, Ms. Hearst is presented as totally complicit in the SLA agenda, not brainwashed and absolutely not coerced. Hearst herself did not participate in the documentary and takes great exception to its portrayal of her http://variety.com/2018/film/news/patricia-hearst-fox-biopic-cnn-documentary-series-1202661655/

Dawn
02-26-2018, 05:34 PM
Golden Girls.

RudieCantFail
02-27-2018, 06:38 AM

I watched a couple episodes of where the Menendez case was reflected on, and Lyle got to tell the story through phone interviews.

I'm watching Gianni Versace too, and I don't like it as much as OJ. I would imagine that Darren Criss gets nominated for an Emmy, but other than that, I think this season is overrated. But I do like how it's setting the atmosphere for what it was like to be gay during that time period, since people were much more prejudiced about it. I thought it was really cool but eerie that you can look up Jeff Trail and see his actual 48 Hours segment from the 1990s on YouTube.

I also have a problem that there's speculation on what actually happened, since it's known that the perp never was able to tell the story. Don't look up the case, if you really want to be surprised, but it shouldn't ruin the show too much anyways if you did look it up.

travlnman2
02-27-2018, 12:30 PM
Game Of Thrones is the greatest show in the history . 2019 can't get here soon enough.

NightMistBlue
06-05-2018, 11:17 PM
That show “Botched” on the E Channel is strangely addictive. One of the doctors is the late Kevin DuBrow’s brother (singer for Quiet Riot).

DJ
06-07-2018, 03:57 PM
I agree. Those Dr.'s are dedicated and you can't find that very often anymore. And they are super funny! I think I like it for the ridiculous cases that walk in. The folks that have had 50 cosmetic procedures and want more and the doc's refuse them! :spin:

sodascouts
06-14-2018, 05:27 PM
My friend has gotten me into what is known as the Arrowverse: Arrow, The Flash, The Legends of Tomorrow, and Supergirl. While they go up and down in quality over their various seasons, they're holding my interest!

Brooke
06-15-2018, 12:50 PM
I'm watching Nashville again. I hear it's the last season. :sad:

UndertheWire
06-15-2018, 03:29 PM
One of my favourites, The Americans, has just come to an end. A few years ago, the showrunners were given a two-season renewal and this gave them time to bring it to an end properly. This is a show that's worth catching as a box set.

It's a spy story set in 1980s Washington. The title characters are actually two KGB officers living as a typical american suburban family, complete with genuine teenage children. They have to juggle running a travel agency, parenting and interacting with their neighbours with their clandestine operations. It has heists, family drama, dark humour and can go from being very subtle to quite brutal. Nothing is black and white. You get to know the spies and even root for them whilst not really supporting their ideologies.

groupie2686
06-15-2018, 03:33 PM
I just got into The Borgias...I started watching it on Netflix and had to buy it on DVD because it is so, so good. I've never binge watched anything but I could easily watch this until 5am (if it wasn't for work the next day!)

UndertheWire
06-16-2018, 09:07 AM
I just got into The Borgias...I started watching it on Netflix and had to buy it on DVD because it is so, so good. I've never binge watched anything but I could easily watch this until 5am (if it wasn't for work the next day!)
I'm assuming you mean the one with Jeremy Irons as Rodrigo and it's gorgeous. I particularly liked that they cast relatively young actors for the principle parts because the real people were young - teens and early twenties. Back in 1981, there was a series called The Borgias in which Cesare was played by a 37 year-old who looked his age. (At the time that really bothered me).
There's another series called "Borgia" that came out around the same time as the recent "The Borgias" and, now you've prompted me, I think I'll give that a go.

groupie2686
06-17-2018, 11:49 AM
I'm assuming you mean the one with Jeremy Irons as Rodrigo and it's gorgeous. I particularly liked that they cast relatively young actors for the principle parts because the real people were young - teens and early twenties. Back in 1981, there was a series called The Borgias in which Cesare was played by a 37 year-old who looked his age. (At the time that really bothered me).
There's another series called "Borgia" that came out around the same time as the recent "The Borgias" and, now you've prompted me, I think I'll give that a go.

Yes, I mean the one with Jeremy Irons. So, so good. It looks gorgeous and the acting is fantastic. I didn't know there was another series that came out at the same time...I'll have to check that one out too.

UndertheWire
06-18-2018, 08:56 AM
I have been reading comparisons of the two Borgia shows. Opinions are divided.Having only seen one, I'm going to try and summarise what I've read.

The biggest issue with Showtime's The Borgias is that it's incomplete. It was meant to have a fourth season but it was cancelled and we miss out on the greatest successes and the downfall.

The Canal+ Borgia is a cheaper production, more violent, includes more detail and continues to Cesare's death.

Neither is exactly historically accurate as they both exploit the unproven rumours about the family. However, The Borgias applies too much modern morality. It makes it more accessible but maybe less true.

The Borgias was produced for an american cable company but it has an Irish writer/director, was filmed in Hungary and has a cast that is mostly British or Irish speaking British English (and one French-Canadian and one Dutch).

Borgia is a European production with an international cast speaking English in a variety of accents, intended to reflect how Rome was a melting-pot of different cultures. Rodrigo Borgia is played by an American actor with an American accent and that bothers some people.

The story is essentially the same but some characters play a bigger part in one than the other.

The two shows portray Cesare quite differently, but both versions are considered "interesting". One has Cesare as the older brother and one as the younger brother and this is a big influence on the character.

One thing that niggles me is the naming conventions adopted. The Borgia family were known by both the Spanish and Italian version of their names. What doesn't make sense is to use the Italian for one son ("Cesare") and the Spanish for the other ("Juan"). It should be Cesar+Juan or Cesare+Giovanni.

groupie2686
06-18-2018, 11:51 AM
I have been reading comparisons of the two Borgia shows. Opinions are divided.Having only seen one, I'm going to try and summarise what I've read.

The biggest issue with Showtime's The Borgias is that it's incomplete. It was meant to have a fourth season but it was cancelled and we miss out on the greatest successes and the downfall.

The Canal+ Borgia is a cheaper production, more violent, includes more detail and continues to Cesare's death.

Neither is exactly historically accurate as they both exploit the unproven rumours about the family. However, The Borgias applies too much modern morality. It makes it more accessible but maybe less true.

The Borgias was produced for an american cable company but it has an Irish writer/director, was filmed in Hungary and has a cast that is mostly British or Irish speaking British English (and one French-Canadian and one Dutch).

Borgia is a European production with an international cast speaking English in a variety of accents, intended to reflect how Rome was a melting-pot of different cultures. Rodrigo Borgia is played by an American actor with an American accent and that bothers some people.

The story is essentially the same but some characters play a bigger part in one than the other.

The two shows portray Cesare quite differently, but both versions are considered "interesting". One has Cesare as the older brother and one as the younger brother and this is a big influence on the character.

One thing that niggles me is the naming conventions adopted. The Borgia family were known by both the Spanish and Italian version of their names. What doesn't make sense is to use the Italian for one son ("Cesare") and the Spanish for the other ("Juan"). It should be Cesar+Juan or Cesare+Giovanni.

Interesting. I've read that the creator of The Borgias released the screenplay of what he intended to be the end of The Borgias, as a 2-hour TV movie. I haven't read it, but I've read reviews and people weren't happy with what he did with the characters. I'm in the middle of season 3 now, so I might read it when I'm done.

I didn't think about the naming conventions, but you're right..what did they actually go by in real life? Did they go by Cesare and Juan?

I've got to admit, though, I'd have a hard time seeing anyone else as Cesare...Francois Arnaud is fantastic, why did he not have a big career after this???

UndertheWire
06-20-2018, 06:37 AM
I've got to admit, though, I'd have a hard time seeing anyone else as Cesare...Francois Arnaud is fantastic, why did he not have a big career after this???
At least he has a career - quite a few indie films and he's the lead in a tv series called "Midnight, Texas" - but I was expecting more. Of course, he has plenty of time as he's still early thirties. With young actors, it may be that the US pilot season is such a lottery. They have to pick, and be picked for, the right project. We see it with a lot of british actors who after becoming stars in the UK, head off to LA and struggle. Even Ioan Gruffydd (Hornblower) and David Tenant (Doctor Who) seemed to have a tough time.

Back to Borgia, and I'm about half way through the first episode. It seems odd that Rodrigo Borgia has an american accent and a delivery that is more conversational but I think I can buy it. What's tougher is the amount of exposition he has to deliver. While I appreciate having the politics and motivations laid out, it's still a bit heavy-handed. It's good that they acknowledge the older half-brother, Pedro Luis and explain why Juan must succeed him as the Duke of Gandia and husband of Maria (who is cousin to two Spanish monarchs) and I like that Cesare and Juan refer to Rodgrio as "uncle" (priests had "nephews" rather than acknowledged sons, although that will change). There's also a very young Medici being appointed a cardinal for political/financial reasons which shows that Cesare's appointment wasn't that much out of the ordinary. So far, I'm finding Cesare a little too wild-eyed and uncontrolled but he hasn't had much to do, so far.

groupie2686
06-20-2018, 11:43 AM
I just finished The Borgias last night- (that last scene with Jeremy Irons and Francois Arnaud - all I can say is, WOW). Let me know how Borgia is...I'm not sure if I'm ready yet to see another adaptation, but I am interested to know if it is more historically accurate. I've been looking up the history and it seems like The Borgias took quite a few liberties.

New Kid In Town
06-20-2018, 08:51 PM
One of my favourites, The Americans, has just come to an end. A few years ago, the showrunners were given a two-season renewal and this gave them time to bring it to an end properly. This is a show that's worth catching as a box set.

It's a spy story set in 1980s Washington. The title characters are actually two KGB officers living as a typical american suburban family, complete with genuine teenage children. They have to juggle running a travel agency, parenting and interacting with their neighbours with their clandestine operations. It has heists, family drama, dark humour and can go from being very subtle to quite brutal. Nothing is black and white. You get to know the spies and even root for them whilst not really supporting their ideologies.

UTW - I agree - I loved the show. It was so well done. As I have missed some episodes, I will eventually see them on demand with my rip off cable company.

UndertheWire
06-22-2018, 05:46 AM
UTW - I agree - I loved the show. It was so well done. As I have missed some episodes, I will eventually see them on demand with my rip off cable company.
Were you satisfied with the way it ended? I thought it worked. (It's almost impossible to the series without giving spoilers for people who have yet to watch it.)

UndertheWire
06-22-2018, 06:11 AM
I just finished The Borgias last night- (that last scene with Jeremy Irons and Francois Arnaud - all I can say is, WOW). Let me know how Borgia is...I'm not sure if I'm ready yet to see another adaptation, but I am interested to know if it is more historically accurate. I've been looking up the history and it seems like The Borgias took quite a few liberties.
With The Borgias it's as if they wrote all the facts and myths about the family on cards then shuffled. The timelines are wrong, acts are attributed to different characters and military actions are invented. And yet, I don't really mind!

Borgia has its own inaccuracies but does seem better at keeping to the timelines and structure of the story. Also, it conveys a world where life it cheap, people die from disease or a fight in the tavern. I've got as far as episode 3 and Rodrigo isn't even pope, yet. There's lot's more nudity (and often not pretty) and blood and guts, so be careful who you watch it with.

groupie2686
06-22-2018, 01:39 PM
With The Borgias it's as if they wrote all the facts and myths about the family on cards then shuffled. The timelines are wrong, acts are attributed to different characters and military actions are invented. And yet, I don't really mind!

Borgia has its own inaccuracies but does seem better at keeping to the timelines and structure of the story. Also, it conveys a world where life it cheap, people die from disease or a fight in the tavern. I've got as far as episode 3 and Rodrigo isn't even pope, yet. There's lot's more nudity (and often not pretty) and blood and guts, so be careful who you watch it with.

I knew very little about the history when I started watching The Borgias and was surprised at how much they got wrong. But it was so good I don't mind either!

More nudity than The Borgias?? A certain scene with Micheletto comes to mind...

I wish they had continued The Borgias to the end, though, although I know why they didn't. To have it end with the death of Rodrigo, or of Cesare, would have brought it full circle.

DanShapiro
07-03-2018, 05:58 AM
I knew very little about the history when I started watching The Borgias and was surprised at how much they got wrong. But it was so good I don't mind either!

More nudity than The Borgias?? A certain scene with Micheletto comes to mind...

I wish they had continued The Borgias to the end, though, although I know why they didn't. To have it end with the death of Rodrigo, or of Cesare, would have brought it full circle.

I too shut down my mind and memory while watching any series that I love. I would have loved to have it ended with the death of Cesare.

groupie2686
07-03-2018, 09:52 AM
I too shut down my mind and memory while watching any series that I love. I would have loved to have it ended with the death of Cesare.

I think Neil Jordan was planning for it to end with the death of Rodrigo, before it was cancelled, but I agree, it should have ended with the death of Cesare. I thought in season 3 the focus shifted from Rodrigo to Cesare and to have it end with his death would have brought it full circle. There is certainly enough history for them to work with, with Della Rovere's election as pope after Rodrigo's death, Cesare's banishment from Rome, and Lucrezia's third marriage.

I'm holding out a small hope that a fourth season or some sort of tv movie could still happen, maybe on Netflix. It's been done with other shows, a finale years after the show ended. I think the real Rodrigo Borgia lived to be in his 70s, so Jeremy Irons has a while to go before it would no longer be believable. ;)

travlnman2
07-03-2018, 12:33 PM
Anyone else love Game Of Thrones?

I am also a huge fan of That 70s show

Freypower
07-03-2018, 06:43 PM
Anyone else love Game Of Thrones?

I am also a huge fan of That 70s show

I am a massive fan of GoT, as I have said before.

RudieCantFail
07-05-2018, 05:12 AM
Barry on HBO. As Bill Hader has said in a few interviews, it's as if the people from Unforgiven and Taxi Driver met the people from Waiting for Guffman and they tried to save his soul.

It's grounded in absurdities and realism with swatches of dramatic irony throughout. The violence is played as real instead of the people doing the little dance as they're getting shot. Henry Winkler is great and adds levity to the dark moments.

JosephAustin
05-16-2019, 07:26 PM
I thought the first couple of articles mentioned here about phentermine (https://thefecaltransplantfoundation.org/phentermine-over-the-counter/) alternatives episodes of American Gods on Amazon was pretty good.

the New God of globalization and the leader of the New Gods ?

sodascouts
05-17-2019, 11:25 AM
Watched the last episode of "The Big Bang Theory" last night. Sad to see it go, although it had been going downhill for a while so I guess it was time. It ended on a high, though!

Pippinwhite
05-17-2019, 04:08 PM
I hadn't watched Big Bang regularly for several years. It just wasn't nearly as funny, after a while.

Brooke
05-17-2019, 04:43 PM
I thought it was really funny and am sad it's over.

Ive always been a dreamer
05-18-2019, 12:14 PM
DANG IT! I totally forgot to watch it. I really liked the show, although I never watched it regularly. I would always catch up on reruns. I sure hope I can catch the finale on YouTube soon.

sodascouts
05-19-2019, 05:56 AM
DANG IT! I totally forgot to watch it. I really liked the show, although I never watched it regularly. I would always catch up on reruns. I sure hope I can catch the finale on YouTube soon.

I think they're going to show the last episodes again on Monday.

New Kid In Town
05-19-2019, 09:05 AM
Watched the last episode of "The Big Bang Theory" last night. Sad to see it go, although it had been going downhill for a while so I guess it was time. It ended on a high, though!

I watched it too. I loved the ending - very sweet. However, the ending to "Young Sheldon" shocked me. I never expected that kind of ending.

05-19-2019, 12:08 PM
I think they're going to show the last episodes again on Monday.

Thanks for the heads up, soda. Do you know if it CBS rebroadcasting it? I checked my TV guide and I'm not seeing it. However, the time slot between 8:00 and 9:00 for CBS tomorrow night says 'To be announced'. Another channel in my area (WRL) is broadcasting the show in the 7:00 - 8:00 time slot, but I have a feeling these are re-runs.

sodascouts
05-21-2019, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the heads up, soda. Do you know if it CBS rebroadcasting it? I checked my TV guide and I'm not seeing it. However, the time slot between 8:00 and 9:00 for CBS tomorrow night says 'To be announced'. Another channel in my area (WRL) is broadcasting the show in the 7:00 - 8:00 time slot, but I have a feeling these are re-runs.

CBS would be the channel to check out. Only it would be running this season's episodes.

LuvTim
05-21-2019, 02:56 PM
Re: The Big Bang Theory- I've loved every minute of this sweet show. IMHO, the writing has been exceptional, the characterizations stellar. I'm really going to miss it. 😩

sodascouts
05-21-2019, 04:31 PM
I watched it too. I loved the ending - very sweet. However, the ending to "Young Sheldon" shocked me. I never expected that kind of ending.

I skipped Young Sheldon but watched this on YouTube after hearing people talk about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnbCRgyoMDc

So sweet!

Did anybody watch the "Behind the Scenes" thing after Young Sheldon? That was emotional, too.

05-21-2019, 09:21 PM
Yep - CBS rebroadcast both episodes of The Big Bang Theory finale last night, I watched it and thought it was a good ending. Thanks again for the heads up, Soda. I would have totally missed it again last night if you had not let me know. I'm going to miss the show too. But, I guess we'll have reruns around for a good long while.

Witchy Woman
05-30-2019, 12:02 AM
Just binge watched the entire series "Dead To Me" on Netflix yesterday. Really good, and I strongly recommend it !!

Brooke
05-30-2019, 02:14 PM
Just binge watched the entire series "Dead To Me" on Netflix yesterday. Really good, and I strongly recommend it !!

I've been thinking about this one, WW. Thanks, I'll give it a try!

LuvTim
05-30-2019, 07:54 PM

I watched this, too. Agreed, highly recommended. 👍

Susans
08-29-2019, 07:19 AM
Thank you UtW! I'm watching it right now!

Hi I thought the first couple of episodes of American Gods on Amazon was pretty good. :)

KingWalsh
09-22-2019, 09:33 AM
In no particular order....The walking Dead, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Wentworth, Teachers (British with Andrew Lincoln) and if I want to cry This is Us.

Brooke
09-23-2019, 01:25 PM
New season on many shows starts this week!

My faves-This Is Us and The Blacklist

NightMistBlue
09-24-2019, 11:32 AM
Howdy, ya'll. I've been watching the Ken Burns series on Country Music. It's very good. It's into the 70s now and I wondered if they were going to touch on the popularity of country rock. The Byrds (including Gram Parsons), Nitty Gritty Dirt Band and Dylan's Nashville phrase got quite a bit of air time. No Eagles so far.

FreyFollower
09-24-2019, 01:46 PM
Howdy, ya'll. I've been watching the Ken Burns series on Country Music. It's very good. It's into the 70s now and I wondered if they were going to touch on the popularity of country rock. The Byrds (including Gram Parsons), Nitty Gritty Dirt Band and Dylan's Nashville phrase got quite a bit of air time. No Eagles so far.
I have been enjoying it as well, NMB. The Eagles' influence on country music should not be overlooked. Just think of all the artists on the "Common Threads" album, for one. But many more---artists as diverse as traditionalist Mark Chestnut and the contemporary Keith Urban publicly mourned Glenn's passing, and named them as inspiration. The band Alabama loved them and brought the concept of a band to country music (before them, there were only vocal groups with bands backing them). Their members played Glenn and Eagles song in solo sets. They also went onstage in T shirts and tennis shoes like their heroes, unlike any others at the time. Restless Heart even got their name from the line in "New Kid in Town", for goodness sake! Just on this board, you see what diverse people love the Eagles. Country folks love their harmony and expert lyricism especially, and were inspired to a rockier guitar. Yay, Song Power!

LuvTim
09-24-2019, 02:20 PM

Howdy to you, as well, NMB! Yes, this has been another excellent Ken Burns documentary. But you can't go wrong with Ken Burns, can you? 👍
And what would we do without Peter Coyote's excellent voiceover talent?! 😊
(I was waiting for an Eagles mention, too.)

NightMistBlue
09-24-2019, 03:14 PM
The band Alabama loved them and brought the concept of a band to country music (before them, there were only vocal groups with bands backing them). Their members played Glenn and Eagles song in solo sets. They also went onstage in T shirts and tennis shoes like their heroes, unlike any others at the time. Restless Heart even got their name from the line in "New Kid in Town", for goodness sake! Just on this board, you see what diverse people love the Eagles. Country folks love their harmony and expert lyricism especially, and were inspired to a rockier guitar. Yay, Song Power!

I hadn't thought of that! Very interesting. The series follows the evolution of country music up to the year 1996, so hopefully at least "Common Thread" will be mentioned.

Hey Luvy!! Yeah, that was something to hear Peter Coyote's solemn tones say "May the Bird of Paradise Fly Up Your Nose."

LuvTim
09-24-2019, 05:03 PM
Hey Luvy!! Yeah, that was something to hear Peter Coyote's solemn tones say "May the Bird of Paradise Fly Up Your Nose."

I know, it was. :grin:

NightMistBlue
09-25-2019, 09:51 AM
Gosh darn it, the Eagles only got the briefest of mentions in last night's episode "Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way?"

This episode was kinda draggy for me, bordering on tedious. Not a fan of Waylon and Willie nor Hank, Jr. Not sure why the show gave very short shrift to the late great Dottie West; she was a helluva lot more interesting than Emmylou Harris, sweet as that gal is.

LuvTim
09-25-2019, 11:11 PM
Gosh darn it, the Eagles only got the briefest of mentions in last night's episode "Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way?"

This episode was kinda draggy for me, bordering on tedious. Not a fan of Waylon and Willie nor Hank, Jr. Not sure why the show gave very short shrift to the late great Dottie West; she was a helluva lot more interesting than Emmylou Harris, sweet as that gal is.

Another brief mention of our Eagles in tonight's finale, "Don't Get Above Your Raisin'." (Part of Garth Brooks ' story. ) It was nice to see the photo they used, with Bernie in the foreground, Glenn and sweet Randy. 😊

NightMistBlue
09-26-2019, 10:10 AM
Thank goodness for Garth, right? He came through for us.

I had forgotten how many good country artists and songs there were, especially in the 90s. It was interesting to hear Vince "Sweetpea" Gill talk about his early career. Had no idea he was invited to tour with Dire Straits! Imagine if Mark Knopfler himself thinks you're a good guitarist - quite a feather in Vince's cap so to speak.

LuvTim
09-26-2019, 04:58 PM
I've loved finding out these additional tidbits of info on each performer during this documentary, especially Vince, since we've loved and respected him for many years. 😊

My My
09-26-2019, 08:53 PM
I've loved finding out these additional tidbits of info on each performer during this documentary, especially Vince, since we've loved and respected him for many years. 😊

Me too, LuvTim! I liked the story of Vince and one of the bluegrass bands having to open for Kiss and getting booed off stage. Yikes, what an awkward combination! At least Vince got a funny story to tell out of the situation. Like most here, I was hoping for a few more Eagles sightings, but it was predominantly told from a Nashville perspective and those bands that recorded there. Overall, I thought it was a good documentary by the master, Ken Burns.

KingWalsh
04-06-2020, 04:22 PM
Wasn’t sure where to post this...so I guess here! With the quarantine going on, what’s everyone watching? Trying to watch Farewell via Dailymotion (thanks CainOH:-)) but everyone wanting to watch something else I haven’t been getting a chance :ack: Regardless, we are watching Ozark (no spoilers, latest season) walking dead, wwe (my son loves it so much!!) caught up with This Is Us, and had to check out what everyone is talking about....Tiger King. I never seen anything like it I can’t believe this is real....

Brooke
04-07-2020, 01:18 PM
I've started Friends from the beginning and watch 3 or 4 episodes whenever I can. This Is Ustill it ended. :sad: They don't make very many shows for seasons anymore! Don't know how many they had this year, but nothing like the they used to do on Friends! The Blacklist is a favorite too. After that, HGTV and National Geographic are favorite channels. HGTV doesn't have as interesting shows now, I don't think. It's changed a lot.

Agonizing that Cardinals baseball is not on!

KingWalsh
04-16-2020, 11:18 AM
I just finished Ozark....wow didn't see that coming. Have to start new season Better Call Saul. Watched Biggest Loser. Too much TV but I need an escape. And to lighten the mood, I found this yesterday😁 i got 2,3 and 10.

Elle81
09-13-2020, 04:06 PM
I'm a bit excited that The Masked Singer is coming back to Fox. Thanks to my sister, I got hooked on the most recent season (winter 2020) and with all the craziness I have gone through this year, this show is a welcomed treat. I like the idea of not seeing the singer, one reason why I can tolerate The Voice. better to judge a singer on their talent and not on their looks.

KingWalsh
09-16-2020, 03:48 AM
I like masked singer but my kids got tired of it. I just finished The Rain from Netflix. Wow really liked that one. I kept putting it off because it deals with a virus and felt I didn’t need that with all the COVID stuff. However, it’s very good. It’s shot beautifully and casting did a great job. It’s from Sweden and overdubbed and wow they do an amazing job with that. Not like the old days (Kung fu movies) so if you got Netflix give it a try!

Elle81
09-21-2020, 06:36 PM
I read an article on Facebook that said the reason why people tend to re watch TV shows and movies multiple times is that its comforting. It's familiar, especially episodes or movies you've seen over and over again. it lets your brain relax, your mind doesn't have to totally pay attention since you already know what's going to happen. That's why i tend to watch the same things over again. ...well, that and I have OCD. :razz:

Elle81
12-16-2020, 10:58 PM
I'm sitting here watching the masked singer finale and I have to wonder if either of the two younger Eagles, Vince and Deacon, would consider going on the show. Although, the show has had its fair share of older singers on it. Paul Anka, who is 79, was one of the celebrity singers unmasked this season, so I wonder if the other Eagles would ever go on the show.

KingWalsh
12-17-2020, 07:14 PM
I don’t think so. I think they’d pass. My kids wouldn’t let it die when Drew Pinsky was the Eagle that one season. They kept saying it was Joe :roll: :nope: I thought I raised them better than that!:shrug: I enjoyed the show but kids and hubby don’t want to watch anymore so I missed the last few seasons.

Elle81
12-17-2020, 07:39 PM
lol KW! And yet I know how your kids felt, thinking that the Eagle was Joe. There was an astronaut in season 3, that both my sister and I swore up and down, was a boybander. We thought "ooh astronaut...moon man...could it be someone who won an MTV music video award, a.k.a. The Moonman trophy?" And it turned out to be just a solo pop artist, a youngster that I had no idea who he was. But that's what I like about the show, you never know who could be under the mask.

Midnight_Flyer
08-26-2023, 08:39 AM
finished watching Manifest on Netflix last night, it is now one of my favourite tv shows, i hope they do more

MarthaJo56
08-30-2023, 10:12 AM
My Kevin & I are watching THE CHOSEN....
It's a movie/TV series based on the life of Jesus, but it's not campy like the old movies (The Ten Commandments comes to mind:rolleyes:) and tells a lot of back stories of the time and the characters.
It's truly amazing!!! Even if you're not Christian.
It was showing some episodes on the CW. But you can catch it on THE CHOSEN app, Facebook or YouTube. It's also on Sundays on BYU-TV. I can't wait for Season 4!!!!
Not to be irreverant, but there is also lots of eye candy. :heart::angel::)
Does anyone else here watch it?

WalshFan88
09-18-2023, 11:05 AM
I'm big into political thrillers.

I think The Night Agent on Netflix was very very good and I'm glad it's getting renewed for a second season.