PDA

View Full Version : The Ten Commandments of Rational debate

sodascouts
06-13-2014, 01:18 PM
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/10-commandments-of-rational-debate.jpg

Note to editorial purists like myself: I'm ignoring the five writing errors in the above because it contains good points.

The sad part is that many of the people breaking these rules don't even understand them. One thing that debates on the internet have revealed is that many people who are, shall we say, "not that bright" still love to spout uninformed opinions at the drop of a hat.

... which perhaps renders all that moot for the worst offenders, eh?

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/65r4k.jpg

Note: I'm not saying that all people who are disagree with me are stupid - that's not true - but it's fairly easy to tell from just a brief exchange whether or not the person has the intellect to grasp what you're saying to them. If their reply is a logical rebuttal: good. If their reply is an incoherent mess that doesn't even address your point (which has apparently flown over their head): bad.

Just my thoughts for the day! ;)

VAisForEagleLovers
06-13-2014, 02:43 PM
I especially like #10, but my experience with people has been they see no need for 'rational' debate!

tjh532
06-13-2014, 07:51 PM
I love this! Now if we could only politicians and political hacks to sign some sort of an agreement to abide by these rules! And VA - I totally agree with you - I think that #10 is the one most often abused. People can't think for themselves anymore, they let celebrities tell them how to think, and worse, how to vote! I have found myself,as I have gotten a little older, gravitating towards those people who I can have a rational discussion with - a real exchange of ideas and opinions - and staying away from people who are so rabid in their own point of view that they would rather attack you and call you names than actually try to see something from another's point of view.

Lisa
06-14-2014, 08:04 PM
From debate, from philosophy, or from law?

There's argument for argument's sake (?); or discussion for its own (!).

Fun guidelines for writing and speaking--or generally speaking, for carefully formulating a presentation for oneself. Informally--probably all of the points are often refuted quite carelessly, and to no avail.

MaryCalifornia
06-14-2014, 09:57 PM
Oh no, I hope I haven't been breaking these rules anywhere on here, if I have I'm sorry!!