PDA

View Full Version : Spotify

tjh532
07-15-2014, 07:53 PM
I have a question for the knowledgeable members of this board :) I have Spotify, and can listen to all of the Eagles CDs in their entirety, except for Long Road Out of Eden and Hell Freezes Over. Even on the Very Best of Eagles CD, it won't play LWKUA or GOI from LROOE. Just wondering why they would have access to all of the Eagles recordings except these two? I get that those are the two released since they got back together, but are those two different from the rest as far as copyrights go? They have the Selected Works CDs and the Very Best of CDs, both released after 2000, but again the only songs that won't play are from LROOE. Just curious as to why :shrug:

VAisForEagleLovers
07-15-2014, 10:06 PM
It's a good question, TJH. Could lead to a lot of speculation, but I spend my days doing a lot of analysis and so my head might explode if I tackle this!

tjh532
07-15-2014, 10:37 PM
Good heavens VA! I would hate to be the cause of anything so traumatic ;) haha

sodascouts
07-16-2014, 08:04 PM
I think it might be because HFO and LROOE aren't released by the same record companies as the Eagles' early albums. All of the albums from 1972-1980 were released by Asylum. However, HFO was released by Geffen Records and LROOE had no record company per se; the Eagles distributed it themselves via an entity they created called the Eagles Recording Company. Since the record company has distribution rights to everything released on their label, they can make any albums released on their label available for streaming on Spotify regardless of individual artists' wishes.

tjh532
07-17-2014, 12:18 AM
That makes sense Soda. And I just use the free service. Maybe if I paid for the premium service then they would be available (with the label or artist getting a bigger royalty). Luckily I have both of those CDs, so I can still hear those songs whenever I want :)

Steve Works
08-13-2014, 04:41 PM
I think it might be because HFO and LROOE aren't released by the same record companies as the Eagles' early albums. All of the albums from 1972-1980 were released by Asylum. However, HFO was released by Geffen Records and LROOE had no record company per se; the Eagles distributed it themselves via an entity they created called the Eagles Recording Company. Since the record company has distribution rights to everything released on their label, they can make any albums released on their label available for streaming on Spotify regardless of individual artists' wishes.
+1. If they have no distribution rights they surely can't use Spotify either. Each record company is different and each contract can be different as well.

VAisForEagleLovers
09-02-2014, 08:48 PM
Here's an interview about Artists' rights and Spotify, Sirius, and a few others. Discusses the differences between performers' royalties, songwriters' royalties, streaming vs. on demand, record label vs. individual artists. I thought we had a thread on artists' rights but I can't find it.

http://www.salon.com/2014/08/31/david_lowery_heres_how_pandora_is_destroying_music ians/

WalshFan88
09-02-2014, 09:25 PM
Spotify and Pandora (among others) are under fire for not being fair to artists and really being bad for the music business.

Times like these I hate being such a big Spotify user but the convenience is nice. I don't do iTunes downloads, I'm a CD or Vinyl guy - I do buy music but it's in those formats and when I want something on the computer, it's Spotify or ripped CD's in iTunes.

tjh532
09-03-2014, 01:09 AM
Austin, do you have the free service, or did you buy the membership? I finally broke down and signed up for the premium service. I love it, and no commercials!

WalshFan88
09-03-2014, 04:15 AM
Yep....I did it mainly for mobile devices support. And no ads is nice!