PDA

View Full Version : Joe Walsh Music Video Survivor Game

Ive always been a dreamer
07-30-2014, 10:02 PM
Time for the Joe Walsh Music Video Survivor, where we vote off Joe's solo music videos until we get to the last one standing!

If you're new, for a basic overview of the game, see this post: Survivor Overview (https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6551&postcount=7)

I'm going to list all Joe’s solo music videos here. Vote for the video that you feel should be eliminated from the list. The video that gets the most votes will be taken off of the list (or, in the language of Survivor, "voted off of the island.") Each round, one more video will get axed, until there's only one left. Remember: you're voting for the one you think should GO, not the one you think should stay.

Note: Do not criticize how/why other people vote. Their reasons are their own and they are free to vote however they like. Also, never attack a fellow poster. You can disagree without making it personal. Sometimes these games can get heated, but remember... it's still just a game.

Each round will last 48 hours after posting to give people a chance to vote who don't post every day. That means that the first round will end at 8:00 Eastern time the day after tomorrow. If you miss a round, don't think you can't play. It's all good!

Since there may be discussion posts, be sure to make it clear when you are casting your vote. Once the board clock strikes 8:00 pm Eastern on the second day, no more votes will be counted for that round - even if it's only seconds after. Your votes also cannot be changed once you have voted, even if you change your mind or make a mistake. Once it's on the record, that's it - so be careful!

If you get confused about what round we are in, look at this post. I'll always update it to reflect the current round. Also feel free to post any questions if you don't understand what's going on.

If there is a tiebreaker, then ALL votes from ALL previous rounds are tallied and whoever has the most prior votes is eliminated. That’s the way it’s done on the real show, that’s the way it’s done here. If there is a complete tie with prior votes (Murphy’s Law), then I'll have a sudden-death trivia question ready. The tie-breaker question will be asked one hour after results are in, if there is need for it. The first person who answers it correctly gets to break the tie. The odds of that happening are slim, but you never know, and it's good to be prepared. The exception is the last round. If the tiebreaker does not resolve the last round, then the tie will be allowed to stand.

In order to avoid voter fraud and trolling, we require that you must be "a member in good standing" as defined by the Terms of Service for at least two weeks before the start of the game in order to cast a vote.

GAME OVER!

The winner of the Joe Walsh Music Video Survivor is ...

THE CONFESSOR

Videos Eliminated:
The Radio Song 8/01
In My Car 8/03
One Day at a Time 8/05
Ordinary Average Guy 8/07
Space Age Whiz Kids 8/09
A Life of Illusion 8/11
I Can Play That Rock & Roll 8/13

Thanks for playing everyone and hope you enjoyed the game.

Midnight Visitor
07-30-2014, 10:05 PM
One Day at a Time

Freypower
07-30-2014, 10:29 PM
In My Car

sodascouts
07-30-2014, 11:21 PM
Thank you so much for taking care of this, dreamer!

I cast my vote for One Day at a Time.

It doesn't feel like a real video to me.

07-31-2014, 12:19 AM
No problem, Soda.

And as far as the One Day at a Time video, I don't think it's Joe's best video by far, but it does have some entertainment value for me. I guess the "storyline" is the footage of watching Joe function as a sober ordinary average rock star 'one day at a time'. For me, the moral of the story is you can be clean and sober and still enjoy the life of being a rock star.

In any event, it sure entertains me more than The Radio Song video. This one has the least going for it, IMHO. Sorry, but watching Joe blandly being moved on a conveyer belt does not rock my world.

However, as is my usual custom in these games, I am going to withhold my vote for now to see how this round plays out.

MaryCalifornia
07-31-2014, 01:16 AM
The Radio Song

It is painful to watch

UndertheWire
07-31-2014, 06:24 AM
Ordinary Average Guy. The clothesman animation showed a bit of flair but overall it was unimaginative and a missed opportunity. They could have done a much better shop of showing Joe being ordinary in an extraordinary way. Or extraordinary in an ordinary way.

irga
08-01-2014, 05:28 AM
I cast my vote for Space Age Whiz Kids.

shunlvswx
08-01-2014, 09:11 AM
The Radio Song

Brooke
08-01-2014, 12:20 PM
I have to agree with Soda on this one. As much as I like One Day At A Time, and how great Joe looks in it, it's not really a video. He could have done so much more with that song!

And I have to say Joe is a hoot in most of these. What a wild and crazy guy! I haven't seen them for a long time! I haven't been able to get The Radio Song one to work past Wolfman Jack, but at least it seems to be a real video.

I vote for One Day At A Time.

08-01-2014, 04:31 PM
To me, I still consider footage around live performances of a song and surrounding activity to be a music video. Even if it's not the most creative way to make it, I don't mind as long as it's interesting to me. As far as I'm concerned, it takes just as much creativity to shoot that kind of video than it does to stick a dude on a conveyor belt and just film him singing. As I said before, that doesn't do anything for me at all. But, even if I thought all things were equal about the videos (which I don't), then my tiebreaker would be which song I like the best. And that's easy for me too - One Day at a Time is about a hundred times better song than The Radio Song, IMO. Since the round is tied with my vote, I hope I can convince others to join me in this round ...

I cast my vote for The Radio Song.

GlennLover
08-01-2014, 05:22 PM
I vote for Ordinary Average Guy. The video creeps me out.

Prettymaid
08-01-2014, 06:04 PM
To me, I still consider footage around live performances of a song and surrounding activity to be a music video. Even if it's not the most creative way to make it, I don't mind as long as it's interesting to me. As far as I'm concerned, it takes just as much creativity to shoot that kind of video than it does to stick a dude on a conveyor belt and just film him singing. As I said before, that doesn't do anything for me at all. But, even if I thought all things were equal about the videos (which I don't), then my tiebreaker would be which song I like the best. And that's easy for me too - One Day at a Time is about a hundred times better song than The Radio Song, IMO. Since the round is tied with my vote, I hope I can convince others to join me in this round ...

I cast my vote for The Radio Song.

You didn't have to work hard to convince me, Dreamer. I agree with you that live performance videos can be just as good, if not better, than 'story' videos. And ODAAT delivers not only the live performance, but also footage of Joe making the rounds to promote Analog Man. I really like this video. There is one sweet part where Marjorie gives Joe a kiss and smoothes his hair before he goes on stage. I admit it - it's difficult for me to watch the old Joe videos where he's being stupid. I much prefer my Joe older, sober, and with it. In the ODAAT video he looks like he is there. I could actually talk to this Joe.

I had forgotten how bad some of these videos really are. It's refreshing to see Joe being real and funny in an appropriate way in ODAAT.

So, I will gladly vote for The Radio Song.

08-01-2014, 08:07 PM
Well – In an exciting round, the first video to be eliminated in the Joe Walsh Music Video Survivor is The Radio Song. “The Radio Song” the tribe has spoken. You weren't our favorite video so please leave the island immediately.

Votes
The Radio Song – 4
One Day at a Time – 3
Ordinary Average Guy – 2
In My Car – 1
Space Age Whiz Kids – 1

Vote Breakdown
The Radio Song – MaryCalifornia
The Radio Song – shunlvswx
The Radio Song – Ive always been a dreamer
The Radio Song – Prettymaid
One Day at a Time – Midnight Visitor
One Day at a Time – sodascouts
One Day at a Time – Brooke
Ordinary Average Guy – UndertheWire
Ordinary Average Guy – GlennLover
In My Car – Freypower
Space Age Whiz Kids – irga

Video Eliminated:
The Radio Song 8/01

Videos Remaining:
Life of Illusion (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzEzIBHuUmU)
I Can Play That Rock & Roll (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbFwVN8p5jc)
Space Age Whiz Kids (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNAuGs-JM98)
The Confessor (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quVERH404pA)
In My Car (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS-9sLv-pMM)
Ordinary Average Guy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLNAkPsjAEk)
One Day at a Time (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlfCyHbLdpI&list=UUczt-rLeR-OAdABaioJnLzA)

Voting for Round Two begins now.

Freypower
08-01-2014, 08:22 PM
In My Car

I am one of the people who doesn't like to be reminded of Joe's drunken days.

Midnight Visitor
08-01-2014, 09:28 PM
I'm old. I like videos that are really videos. I like all the unique ideas that Joe (& others) had for his videos in the 80's & early 90's. I like directors and budgets and goofy musicians making me laugh.

My vote is for One Day at A Time

UndertheWire
08-02-2014, 09:39 AM
I don't love the One Day at a Time video, but it's interesting to see Joe going about his business as a Rock Star and most of the other videos are just bad. I'll hold off to see what I can vote for strategically. The Radio Song was near the bottom of my list, so I'm not sad to see it go.

MaryCalifornia
08-02-2014, 12:37 PM
Life of Illusion

08-02-2014, 01:13 PM
First of all, PM, I think your last comments were right on. You said exactly what I was trying to convey.

Of course, I wasn't sad to see The Radio Song go first. To me, it is just silly. And speaking of silly, I will probably go along with Freypower and vote for In My Car this round, but I'll wait to see how the round plays out before voting. In My Car has a few funny moments, but, mostly, it's just lame, IMO.

I actually think some of Joe's videos were well done back in the day and sorry, MC, but I gotta disagree with you about Life of Illusion. To me, that video is at the top of my list in terms of creativity with all of the imagery and 'illusions' in it.

irga
08-02-2014, 06:17 PM
I just don't like early videos made in the 80s in general and showing Joe loosing his temper in particular. Being consistent with my earlier choice, I vote for Space Age Whiz Kids.

UndertheWire
08-03-2014, 05:26 AM
I'm afraid of missing the deadline, so I'm going for In My Car. It was just too much of a cliche.

Prettymaid
08-03-2014, 11:14 AM
I don't know...as for me, as bad as In My Car is, I can still tolerate watching it. Watching Space Age Whiz Kids is torture for me!

Therefore, I cast my vote for Space Age Whiz Kids.

08-03-2014, 11:50 AM
I want to make some comments in defense of the Space Age Whiz Kids video, and since I'm lazy, I'll just repeat some remarks I made before. I’m definitely not crazy about the song Space Age Whiz Kids, but, this is actually one of Joe’s better videos, IMO. To me, it is one of those videos that actually enhances the song and makes it more enjoyable to listen to. I think the switch between black and white and color to convey the past and present is effective. I also like the switching back and forth between the old pinball machines and modern (at the time) video games such Pac-Man and Donkey Kong. And I particularly like the last scene where you see the new "Whiz Kids" video game in the futuristic arcade. So while it may not be a great artistic piece of work, I think it is conceptually and cinematically stronger than some of the others remaining. So, since I think this one is the weakest remaining ...

I cast my vote for In My Car.

MaryCalifornia
08-03-2014, 01:20 PM
I already cast my vote in this round, but since it appears to be at risk, and in case it is the next video to go, I just wanted to say that Space Age Whiz Kids reminds me so much of Timothy's Playin' It Cool!

Midnight Visitor
08-03-2014, 01:25 PM
I already cast my vote but I just wanted to add that I LOVE the video for Space Age Whiz Kids but HATE that song! So, that one is very conflicting for me.

shunlvswx
08-03-2014, 06:04 PM
In My Car

GlennLover
08-03-2014, 07:37 PM
I have to go with Ordinary Average Guy again.

sodascouts
08-03-2014, 07:48 PM
I see the points people are making about ODAAT, but I'm with MV - I prefer concept videos that are crafted for the song. Those clips could have been put with any music and still worked. I find "In My Car" funny, actually. I guess I'm making my defense a bit late, but I've been sick all weekend.

Long story short...

08-03-2014, 08:04 PM
The next song to be eliminated in the Joe Walsh Music Video Survivor is In My Car. “In My Car”, the tribe has spoken and all the back seat drivers are leaving you behind. Don’t bother with directions – just please leave the island immediately.

Votes
In My Car – 4
Space Age Whiz Kids – 2
One Day at a Time – 2
Life of Illusion – 1
Ordinary Average Guy – 1

]Vote Breakdown
In My Car – Freypower
In My Car – UndertheWire
In My Car – Ive always been a dreamer
In My Car – shunlvswx
Space Age Whiz Kids – Prettymaid
Life of Illusion – MaryCalifornia

Video Eliminated:
The Radio Song 8/01
In My Car 8/03

Videos Remaining:
One Day at a Time (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlfCyHbLdpI&list=UUczt-rLeR-OAdABaioJnLzA)

Voting for Round Three begins now.

Freypower
08-03-2014, 08:32 PM
Ordinary Average Guy. I can't believe how bored Joe looks in it. If he is supposed to be 'bored' with his ordinary average life, it doesn't work. Also it is a bit like Peter Gabriel's Sledgehammer, but nowhere near as good as that video. Space Age Whiz Kids on the other hand is fun.

shunlvswx
08-03-2014, 09:33 PM
I do want to say this about Ordinary Average Guy. I maybe wrong, but Joe doesn't look high or drunk in the video. You kinda can tell in the other videos. That's the longest I've seen his hair in this video. I don't think his hair length is not even that long from this video.

Right now. Its hard to pick which one I want to go next. There's one video I don't like, but I'm going to let it stay in for more rounds.

The funny thing about Joe's videos are if even they are not good or a little out of this world, the video goes along with the song.

I'm going to wait on my vote.

MaryCalifornia
08-03-2014, 09:40 PM
Life of Illusion

Prettymaid
08-04-2014, 08:27 AM
I see the points people are making about ODAAT, but I'm with MV - I prefer concept videos that are crafted for the song. Those clips could have been put with any music and still worked. I find "In My Car" funny, actually. I guess I'm making my defense a bit late, but I've been sick all weekend.

Long story short...

Hope you're feeling better, Soda!

I've often said about these Survivor games that you can play them more than one way. You can go in with an unbiased look at the video and judge it on it's creative merits, or you can just pick your fave by the one you enjoy watching the most. I've played past games both ways, depending on my mood. This game I'm choosing the latter way to play. It's not difficult for me to judge these videos by my first gut reaction to them, and some of them are just plain bad - the song AND the video!

So I will stick with voting for Space Age Whiz Kids.

Midnight Visitor
08-04-2014, 10:42 AM
When I saw this game posted my first thought was, "Shall we just give it to The Confessor now?" So far, I can't help but notice, no one is complaining about that video.

My vote is for One Day at a Time.

Hope you feel better Nancy!!

GlennLover
08-04-2014, 12:36 PM
I vote Ordinary Average Guy once again. I know some of the others are bad, but I just can't watch this one.

Brooke
08-04-2014, 04:44 PM
I will stick with my last vote and vote again for One Day At A Time.

sodascouts
08-04-2014, 05:27 PM
I'm definitely feeling better and I'm sure I'll be 100% soon. Thanks for the sympathy!

I love "The Confessor" video but I know not everyone feels it should take the prize.

Meanwhile, I'll make my very predictable vote:

Midnight Visitor
08-04-2014, 09:56 PM
I'm definitely feeling better and I'm sure I'll be 100% soon. Thanks for the sympathy!

I love "The Confessor" video but I know not everyone feels it should take the prize.

Meanwhile, I'll make my very predictable vote:

You know I love that matador suit! :smitten:

08-04-2014, 10:24 PM
Glad you're feeling better, Soda.

When I saw this game posted my first thought was, "Shall we just give it to The Confessor now?" So far, I can't help but notice, no one is complaining about that video.

Woah MV- I'm sure not ready to give the crown to The Confessor. It's definitely not my choice to win the game and I'll be voting for it strategically in any rounds that aren't so close or I'm not too invested in the outcome. Perhaps I'd like the video better if someone would explain it to me.

In any event, I may actually vote for it this round, but I'll have to see what happens. It looks like either ODAAT or OAG will go down this time. However, I'll vote for OAG if it will save OOAAT.

Prettymaid
08-04-2014, 11:17 PM
Perhaps I'd like the video better if someone would explain it to me.

:mrgreen: This made me giggle.

UndertheWire
08-05-2014, 08:35 AM
I'll retun to Ordinary Average Guy for this round.

MaryCalifornia
08-05-2014, 01:07 PM
I have already voted in this round, but I feel the need to voice a little support for One Day at a Time. I love all of the footage - backstage, family, etc...- I would be thrilled to have such a video for any of the other guys, too. Can you imagine any of them making a solo video like this? It's gold!! And, I don't think the format is unusual or deficient, aren't lots of videos made with live show and backstage footage?? Or am I totally out of it because I haven't watched MTV or VH1 since the '80??!!

TimothyBFan
08-05-2014, 04:25 PM
I know I haven't been around much, but I hope no one minds if I just jump in here.

I always seem to have trouble with the video survivors because as much as I try, I have a hard time remembering it's not all about the song, but the video also.

sodascouts
08-05-2014, 05:11 PM
Of course no one minds, TBF - the more the merrier! And I promise I'm not just saying that because you're voting for ODAAT! ;)

Prettymaid
08-05-2014, 05:12 PM
I know I haven't been around much, but I hope no one minds if I just jump in here.

Sure you can jump in. You're just not allowed to vote for that video. :nahnah:

shunlvswx
08-05-2014, 07:39 PM
I hate to do this. I still love the video, but I know my vote can't save it with the tie.

So I'm voting for One Day At a Time. :worried:

08-05-2014, 07:51 PM
Well - since there's nothing I can do to save One Day at a Time, I'll go ahead a vote strategically this round ...

I cast my vote for The Confessor.

08-05-2014, 08:04 PM
The next song to be eliminated in the Joe Walsh Music Video Survivor is One Day at a Time. “One Day at a Time”, the tribe has spoken and you won’t be the last to leave the scene of the crime this time. Now, jump on that runaway train and head off the island immediately.

Votes
One Day at a Time – 5
Ordinary Average Guy – 3
Life of Illusion – 1
Space Age Whiz Kids – 1
The Confessor – 1

Vote Breakdown
One Day at a Time – Brooke
One Day at a Time – TimothyBFan
One Day at a Time – shunlvswx
Ordinary Average Guy – Freypower
The Confessor – Ive always been a dreamer

Video Eliminated:
The Radio Song 8/01
In My Car 8/03
One Day at a Time 8/05

Videos Remaining:

Voting for Round Four begins now.

Freypower
08-05-2014, 08:29 PM
I think ODAAT is a great summary of Joe's life at the moment & I'm sorry it's gone.

I vote for Ordinary Average Guy.

Prettymaid
08-05-2014, 09:23 PM
I think ODAAT is a great summary of Joe's life at the moment & I'm sorry it's gone.

I vote for Ordinary Average Guy.

:weep: I'm sorry it's gone, too. It was my number one pick! :weep:

Not voting yet.

08-05-2014, 09:26 PM
I gotta agree about both videos, FP. I'm also sad that ODAAT is gone. And I also think it is time for Ordinary Average Guy to go. It's got a few cute moments, but otherwise it's nothing more than an ordinary, average video. (Sorry, couldn't help myself)! :grin: I'll definitely give it my vote this round if I can eliminate it, but, as usual, I'm waiting to see how the round plays out.

Midnight Visitor
08-05-2014, 10:03 PM
This is when it gets hard for me. My votes before this one were obvious to me. I guess I'm going to have to vote for Space Age Whiz Kids because the song itself is so bad.

irga
08-06-2014, 04:36 AM
Oh well, ODATT is gone now. Pity, as I also think it's a video celebrating Joe's new life and newly found freedom, so to speak. As such it isn't maybe a short movie as we would have expected in the 80s, but personally I find it nice and uplifting.
Having said that, I cast my vote again for Space Age Whiz Kids

shunlvswx
08-06-2014, 07:22 AM
I hate to see ODAAT go too. If I had voted to eliminated OAG, it would had been tied and if I remembered correctly you take votes from the previous rounds when there's a tie and ODAAT would had still been gone. :worried: I hate to see it go too. I love the video too, but I couldn't save it.

Prettymaid
08-06-2014, 07:44 AM
I should have joined the coalition and voted for OAG, too. It's just that in my mind some of the other videos are so much worse!

I do see that finally some of you are ready for SAWK to go, so

I vote for Space Age Whiz Kids.

UndertheWire
08-06-2014, 10:33 AM
I had One Day at a Time as my #2. Though possibly because it was one of the least bad of a bad bunch. I like Space Age Whizz Kids. Maybe not the song, but the video has nostalgia and a message (maybe) that's still valid even if the technology has changed.

So sticking with Ordinary Average Guy.

sodascouts
08-06-2014, 10:33 AM
I have the same problem with Life of Illusion as I had with One Day at a Time - it's just outtakes from his album cover shoot set to music. I realize that this was MTV in its infancy before people were bothering to think of videos in terms of having meaning outside of just something to show during the song, but it really is no better than ODAAT in that regard.

I cast my vote for Life of Illusion.

MaryCalifornia
08-06-2014, 12:33 PM
I'll stick with my pick from the past two rounds - Life of Illusion

TimothyBFan
08-06-2014, 01:44 PM
Going ahead and voting so I don't forget.

I will vote for Ordinary Average Guy.

GlennLover
08-06-2014, 02:57 PM
Voting so I don't forget too - Ordinary Average Guy once again.

08-06-2014, 11:46 PM
I hate to see ODAAT go too. If I had voted to eliminated OAG, it would had been tied and if I remembered correctly you take votes from the previous rounds when there's a tie and ODAAT would had still been gone. :worried: I hate to see it go too. I love the video too, but I couldn't save it.

Wow shun - It's too bad you missed my post last round (#39) where I said I would vote for OAG if I could help eliminate it. If you had tied the round with your vote, then I would have voted for it, which means it would have been eliminated instead of ODAAT. Just for the record, I have said the same this about this round - I'll vote for OAG if my vote is needed to eliminate it.

And Soda, it shocks me that you think the Life of Illusion video has no meaning outside of just something to show during the song. I'll write more later when I have more time, but I see it as much more than just outtakes from the album cover shoot set to music. To me, the creative use of illusions in the video does a great job of depicting a 'life of illusions'. I think the video is a fantastic visual representation of a fantastic song.

Brooke
08-07-2014, 10:07 AM
Ok, I'm pretty much lost now, but I don't care for this song or video so, I'm voting for Space Age Whiz Kids this time.

shunlvswx
08-07-2014, 06:27 PM
Space Age Whiz Kids for me

08-07-2014, 07:54 PM
Okay - love the song, and the video is cute, but nothing extraordinary, so ...

I cast my vote for Ordinary Average Guy.

08-07-2014, 08:06 PM
In a tied round, the next song to be eliminated in the Joe Walsh Music Video Survivor is Ordinary Average Guy. “Ordinary Average Guy”, the tribe has spoken and you are ordinary and average. Please get in your Dodge and leave the island immediately. You’ll be home on Saturday to pick up the dog doo and clean the garage.

Votes
Ordinary Average Guy – 5
Space Age Whiz Kids – 5
Life of Illusion – 2

Tiebreaker Votes
Ordinary Average Guy – 6
Space Age Whiz Kids – 4

Vote Breakdown
Ordinary Average Guy – Freypower
Ordinary Average Guy – TimothyBFan
Ordinary Average Guy – Ive always been a dreamer
Space Age Whiz Kids – Midnight Visitor
Space Age Whiz Kids – Brooke
Space Age Whiz Kids – shunlvswx
Life of Illusion – sodascouts

Video Eliminated:
The Radio Song 8/01
In My Car 8/03
One Day at a Time 8/05

Videos Remaining:

Voting for Round Five begins now.

Freypower
08-07-2014, 08:58 PM
Space Age Whiz Kids

Midnight Visitor
08-07-2014, 09:30 PM
Space Age Whiz Kids

sodascouts
08-07-2014, 11:55 PM
About Space Age Whiz Kids: The song isn't my favorite and the video is kind of silly, but as a child of the 80s, I relate hardcore to the video for "Space Age Whiz Kids." Now, years later, when video games have come so far, it's fun for the nostalgia value. I hope this one doesn't get the boot yet!

While it may be futile...

Love the song, but the video is uninspired.

irga
08-08-2014, 04:48 AM
Space Age Whiz Kids

TimothyBFan
08-08-2014, 07:46 AM
Even tho it's one of my favorite Joe songs, the dump doesn't do a thing for me. So I'm voting for Life Of Illusion.

MaryCalifornia
08-08-2014, 12:45 PM
Life of Illusion

Brooke
08-08-2014, 02:27 PM
Space Age Whiz Kids

UndertheWire
08-08-2014, 03:31 PM
Life of Illusion

08-08-2014, 07:02 PM
Wow - I came here and saw all these votes for Life of Illusion and realized I'd better try to make my best case argument for it now. I don't know if some of these votes are strategic or not, but I'll do my darndest to try to convince folks that this video is more than just footage of a junkyard.

Life of Illusion is one of my favorite songs and videos. I love how they expanded on the album cover’s theme to make the video. It seems very appropriate to the song for me. At first it may come across as just another one of Joe’s silly videos, but there is a lot more to it. In fact, I believe this is Joe’s most clever and artistic video even if the backdrop isn’t a beautiful, sophisticated fine arts museum. To me, it was wise decision to have the backdrop of the junkyard to propel the song's message of how confusing real life can be. I also love how this 'wall of confusion' (i.e. the junkyard} is used as a contrast to all of 'nature's little surprises' symbolized by the effective use of illusions in the video. Or to quote the song's lyrics ...

"Oh, how nature loves her little surprises
Wow! It all seems so logical now
It's just one of her better disguises"

IMO, all of the imagery and illusions that are going on are very well done. I particularly like all of the ‘bird’ imagery. At the beginning of the video there is a whole flock of birds in the ‘neighborhood’, but you see the birds eventually all fly away - perhaps a desire to migrate to a more suitable environment. Then, throughout the video, you see several ‘bird’ illusions until at the end, there is a single bird flying around that also turns out to be another illusion - maybe just another one of “nature’s little surprises”. Another part I really like is how they show 'the director' directing where to place things. I love the irony of trying to organize the chaotic 'wall of confusion' especially when Joe steps up to the camera to check things out.

Now, I appreciate that some folks may disagree on how effectively the video represents the message of the song, but I simply can't buy the argument that the video doesn't carry a message at all. So, I'm hoping that, at least, I've given folks something worthwhile to consider here.

MaryCalifornia
08-08-2014, 08:36 PM
Thank you for the nice analysis, Dreamer. I evaluate the videos at face value - production values, images, effort by the artist and director, creativity, originality - basically how much I'm enjoying what I'm watching on the screen and how it shows off our guy. I don't know why "the message" of the video is unimportant to me. I'm sort of viewing them in a vacuum, separate from the song lyrics or the song itself, even with the sound turned off sometimes.

I don't know why I don't ascribe more importance to what the video is "trying to say." I care more about how it looks. Does this make sense?

08-08-2014, 09:26 PM
This makes perfect sense to me, MC. Each of us has our own criteria for how we rate songs, videos, etc. and most all of them are valid. I want to stress that my post wasn't meant as a criticism or judgment on those who don't like the video, and I hope it wasn't perceived as such. It's all subjective and we each like what we like. My argument was designed to persuade those who hadn't really given it much thought or who haven't made up their minds. As I said in my post, I totally understand if someone wants to debate the merits of the video, but I do take issue with the notion that it has no message and is nothing more than a thoughtless and effortless extension of the album cover photo shoot.

sodascouts
08-09-2014, 12:16 AM
I see what you're saying, Dreamer, and it's really cool that you can get all of that out of the video. I think you might be putting more thought into it than the actual video makers, though. While there are moments where the way the footage was edited does work with the song, the footage itself still looks thrown together to me. Obviously, I'm missing something!

GlennLover
08-09-2014, 10:02 AM
I vote Space Age Whiz Kids. It,s just too "busy" for me, although I like the comparison of the old & "new" games.

08-09-2014, 12:26 PM
I see what you're saying, Dreamer, and it's really cool that you can get all of that out of the video. I think you might be putting more thought into it than the actual video makers, though. While there are moments where the way the footage was edited does work with the song, the footage itself still looks thrown together to me. Obviously, I'm missing something!

Well, maybe I’m living a life of delusion. I imagine illusions and messages when I watch the video. Or maybe Joe is playing Jedi mind tricks on me. But, at least I don’t see dead people. :lol:

shunlvswx
08-09-2014, 03:35 PM
My vote goes to Space Age Whiz Kids.

Prettymaid
08-09-2014, 07:46 PM
Space Age Whiz Kids

08-09-2014, 07:58 PM
Well since Space Age Whiz Kids is going down without my vote, I'll go ahead and even the score. Not that is really matters at this point, but I'll go for the only video that hasn't received a vote so far in this game ...

I cast my vote for I Can Play That Rock & Roll.

08-09-2014, 08:07 PM
The next song to be eliminated in the Joe Walsh Music Video Survivor is Space Age Whiz Kids. “Space Age Whiz Kids”, the tribe has spoken and pinball pool-sharks just can't compete. Please get on the bus and ride off the island immediately.

Votes
Space Age Whiz Kids – 7
Life of Illusion – 4
I Can Play That Rock & Roll – 1

Vote Breakdown
Space Age Whiz Kids – Freypower
Space Age Whiz Kids – Midnight Visitor
Space Age Whiz Kids – Brooke
Space Age Whiz Kids – GlennLover
Space Age Whiz Kids – shunlvswx
Life of Illusion – sodascouts
Life of Illusion – TimothyBFan
Life of Illusion – UndertheWire
I Can Play That Rock & Roll – Ive always been a dreamer

Video Eliminated:
The Radio Song 8/01
In My Car 8/03
One Day at a Time 8/05
Space Age Whiz Kids 8/09

Videos Remaining:

Voting for Round Six begins now.

Freypower
08-09-2014, 08:19 PM
A Life Of Illusion will probably go next but I agree with Dreamer's comments about it.

I don't mind I Can Play That Rock'n'Roll but it is one long stereotype of Joe's former life & it's time it went.

Prettymaid
08-09-2014, 08:50 PM
I'm so relieved SAWK is gone so that I can vote for something else for a change!
And I agree with FP that although Life of Illusion seems to be what others want gone, I really dislike I Can Play That Rock & Roll much more. I always sort of cringe when Joe's hotel room destruction days are brought up with humor. I don't think it's funny at all.

I vote for I Can Play that Rock & Roll.

Midnight Visitor
08-09-2014, 09:08 PM
So relieved that LOI is top 3. I would have cried like a baby. I love seeing Joe make that infamous cover! I have no idea which of the 3 are supposed to go now. I don't think I can pick a least favorite so I'm going to wait to vote to see what others do.

I love seeing Joe tear up a hotel room! Maybe it's not well known but Irving played a big part in Joe's hotel room destruction. He was encouraged to do so. If you have read Joe Vitale's book you'll know what I'm talking about. Remember Irving was Joe's manager before the Eagles. Joe doesn't seem like a sad character to me until the late 80's till he got sober. In the 70's, they were all doing what Joe was doing substance/alcohol wise.

It's gonna be impossible to pick a bad one of those 3 videos.

08-10-2014, 12:53 AM
Well – I figured the game might come down to these three videos, but I wasn’t sure. I’ve already had my say about how I feel about A Life of Illusion and I’m hoping it will win. I’m definitely not counting it out since four votes are the most it’s received in any round. As for the other two videos, it’s kind of a toss up for me as to which I prefer. They are very different, that’s for sure.

The Confessor is an artistic video, but, TBH, the message is lost on me. I would love to hear if others here feel it’s over their heads as well or if someone has it all figured out. I’m thinking that anytime the audience has to work so hard to figure out the meaning of a music video, then the creator's probably missed the mark.

As far as the I Can Play That Rock & Roll video, I don’t condone the behavior, but I do consider that the 70’s had a very different social climate with extremely different attitudes. At the time this video was made, it was hilarious because it is a gross exaggeration even for back then. While I think that Joe's behavior is irresponsible and adolescent, I also see the outrageous humor that was intended in the video. So even though I don’t think it’s a masterpiece by any stretch, I do still find parts of it really funny. I especially like the scene when the hotel manager comes in, and Joe is trying to explain how it's all the fly's fault. However, if this were a modern day video, I would view it in an entirely different light.

GlennLover
08-10-2014, 11:33 AM
Dreamer, I agree with you about ICPTRAR.

Hard to decide between the other two but I guess I like Life of Illusion a little better so I cast my vote for The Confessor.

sodascouts
08-10-2014, 05:08 PM
I love the creative sophistication of "The Confessor" video. You might not necessarily figure out what everything means, but its ambiguity allows everyone to interpret it a bit differently. I think that's a good thing.

It fits the mood of the song perfectly and is much more thought-provoking than his other videos. I understand why some may be turned off by the more "trippy" elements, but just think of the amount of effort that went into the construction of this video versus the other two. This is the real deal. I can see how many would find "I Can Play That Rock'n'Roll" more entertaining because of the laughs, but "The Confessor" is art. It challenges you to think. Joe swinging around a chainsaw does not.

I also wanted to ask - is anyone else actually kind of saddened by the fact that Joe seems to be partially defined, even to this day, as the guy who destroyed hotel rooms with a chainsaw?

As for LOI - I've already made my feelings known about that one.

Freypower
08-10-2014, 06:50 PM
I love the creative sophistication of "The Confessor" video. You might not necessarily figure out what everything means, but its ambiguity allows everyone to interpret it a bit differently. I think that's a good thing.

It fits the mood of the song perfectly and is much more thought-provoking than his other videos. I understand why some may be turned off by the more "trippy" elements, but just think of the amount of effort that went into the construction of this video versus the other two. This is the real deal. I can see how many would find "I Can Play That Rock'n'Roll" more entertaining because of the laughs, but "The Confessor" is art. It challenges you to think. Joe swinging around a chainsaw does not.

I also wanted to ask - is anyone else actually kind of saddened by the fact that Joe seems to be partially defined, even to this day, as the guy who destroyed hotel rooms with a chainsaw?

As for LOI - I've already made my feelings known about that one.

Yes. That is why, sometimes, I wish Life's Been Good would disappear.

08-10-2014, 10:03 PM
I got to thinking that for those that are interested in saving Life of Illusion this round, it won't work if the votes are split between I Can Play That Rock & Roll and The Confessor. I think we are going need to form an alliance. It's hard to know which of the songs to target since there hasn't been much discussion around them. However, from comments that have been made, I believe that the players will be more inclined to eliminate I Can Play That Rock & Roll. So please join me in a coalition ...

SAVE A LIFE OF ILLUSION!!!

VOTE FOR I CAN PLAY THAT ROCK & ROLL!!!

I cast my vote for I Can Play That Rock & Roll.

Prettymaid
08-10-2014, 10:30 PM

Yes, sort of. That's why I said that I cringe whenever I see it being laughed about by one of the other band members in current interviews. Joe doesn't laugh, but he has one of the best poker faces I have ever seen, so you can't go by him. He keeps a straight face as he talks about it, and seems as if he's resigned to the fact that it will always be brought up. I guess, to be honest, they are handling the subject the best way they could possibly handle it nowadays. I guess I'm just the kind of person who would feel bad for the hotel. I don't like it when someone does something hurtful to someone or something else.

Midnight Visitor
08-10-2014, 10:56 PM

[/B]

It's not great. I'd much rather he be known for his music. I agree w/Freypower, I sometimes wish Life's Been Good would disappear. What bothers me more, however, is there are many that still think he's a drunken clown. I don't really understand how anyone could watch the documentary and come away thinking that. He's far from it.

WalshFan88
08-10-2014, 11:55 PM
While I don't think he should be defined by his hotel room destruction, it's certainly more lighthearted and more true to rock n' roll than someone who just went out and played music and as Don Henley would put it, loitered. I can't stand guys like Carlos Santana who just go out there and play music and approach it so clinically and seriously. To me a concert should be about having fun, and while I'm so glad Joe is sober - I think the whole 70s rock n' roll lifestyle is partly responsible for the great tunes of that era. I like fun, comical, yet SOBER Joe to serious Joe.

I prefer fun rockers to musicians that take it too seriously. It's about entertainment, you aren't saving the world.

I for one think Life's Been Good was the best thing Joe has ever done in his career outside of the Eagles musically. I love the song and the lyrics. Sure they are about excess, but I prefer fun lighthearted songs to serious songs that make you think to much and deeper meaning, hence why I like songs by Aerosmith, GnR, AC/DC and other uptempo fun rock tunes with lighthearted topics. In other words, I'll take Life In The Fast Lane over Desperado. That's the best way I can put it.

Again, don't take me wrong - Joe getting sober was the best thing that could have happened, I just get sick of those guys that go out there and act like it's all business and planned out. I want gimmicks, lights, even pyro. I want to be entertained at a show, not go watch somebody in a uniform play the most downright mind-numbingly serious tunes. IMO, there is such a thing as too professional.

That's why guys like Joe Walsh and Keith Richards are my two biggest heroes. Not that I'm going to follow in their footsteps. :hilarious: I admire them for getting sober but they to me were ultimate badasses in their heyday and fit the lifestyle and there's a part of my personality complex that finds that to be what rock n' roll is all about - fun. Not necessarily things like drug use and getting high, but being all about fun and not about being so orchestrated. And looking cool as much as sounding good. I can go to those kinds of concerts that are more formal and enjoy them, but I don't dig them as much as loud rock n' roll shows with visual entertainment.

I think the reason I'm partial to lighthearted fun rock songs is that serious songs depress me as much as bore me. I have enough melodrama in my life, I don't like to listen to quiet songs or real serious songs. I want something to pump my energy up and throw up my hands in the air and move, not be lulled to sleep by some story about how your dad was in prison in '54 and now he's a preacher and sits on the porch with his old dog Blue.

And it's not that I'm the partying carefree type. Anybody who knows me knows that's not me. I'm quite laid back and quiet. But I get to live it vicariously through those tunes and I like that. It's like I want to live it but it's not me, so I use the songs to put me in that frame of mind. Hence why I like Life's Been Good and not so much songs like The Confessor.

MaryCalifornia
08-11-2014, 01:25 AM
WF, I love Keith, too!

I can't imagine the challenge of trying to raise children when you have a very public history of long-term debauchery and drunken shenanigans, when that is your public image - I'm talking all of the Eagles here, not just Joe. Well, mainly Henley and Joe. Anyway...Joe has two teenage sons - how do you tell them, "do as I say, not as I do"??!! I guess you just give them love and talk very openly with them, try to be a cautionary tale and say that it was different back then.

Here I go again - Life of Illusion

WalshFan88
08-11-2014, 06:18 AM
WF, I love Keith, too!

I can't imagine the challenge of trying to raise children when you have a very public history of long-term debauchery and drunken shenanigans, when that is your public image - I'm talking all of the Eagles here, not just Joe. Well, mainly Henley and Joe. Anyway...Joe has two teenage sons - how do you tell them, "do as I say, not as I do"??!! I guess you just give them love and talk very openly with them, try to be a cautionary tale and say that it was different back then.

Keith is the reason I went out and got my left ear pierced years ago. I was listening to Stones records right after I started playing guitar and got into the Eagles and I watched a bunch of Stones videos and I thought he was about a perfect example of what a rockstar is in my mind. The ultimate pirate! The guys in makeup never did much for me as far as idolization or rockstar image I'm afraid although I love glam rock/80s hair metal. But when I think of rockstar guitarists I think of Walsh, Richards, Page, Perry, and Slash. Not so much Carlos Santana or Alex Lifeson. :hilarious:

As far as his kids - yes I agree that would be very tough. As you said - "Do as I say, not as I do". And it's not that I'm proud of his drug use or anything - I just miss the days of rock n' roll when it wasn't so choreographed and suit and tie and everything so planned out. Before the days of long riders and ridiculous things like grapes in the dressing room or having no brown M&Ms in the dish. It's gotten to be a caricature of itself, IMO. I miss the days of just unplanned improvised shows (short of a setlist, that is) and back when it was ok to make mistakes and fly by the seat of your pants onstage. IMO back in the 70s it was more about the music and good times than the money, and less "businessy". Now everyone is jaded and boring and think they have a story to tell. And I think that whole lifestyle was a big component of the music that came out, good or bad, right or wrong. Heck, there is a lot of people that say Aerosmith haven't made a good record since they were clean. And that's just one example. Now I'd much rather have them sober, but IMO the music a lot of us love was a byproduct of the guys who made it living that lifestyle.

Don't get me wrong, I can like a smooth song ok and I was exaggerating some, it's just that I tend to get bored with those who stand in one place onstage and be philosophical all night or tell boring stories or things that suck the fun right out of the room. It's like the same with those who go onstage and give big political rants or life advice or tell your life story. It's like I paid you to shut your trap and sing and rock, not tell me who to vote for or what to support or what I should be doing. Kevin Cronin of REO has done that the 2 times I've seen them and while I love REO, it's grating on my nerves. And while there is a multitude of reasons why I don't go to Ted Nugent's concerts - that's one of them.

I like energy, fun, and a chance to get serious things off of my mind at concerts - not go and be reminded of how bad a shape the world is in or that their dad died in WWII. I'm sorry if that's harsh. It's the same reason I don't watch the news. I have enough sorrow to deal with myself and friends and family's problems - without taking on the world's problems.

TimothyBFan
08-11-2014, 09:21 AM
I will stick with my vote of Life Of Illusion

irga
08-11-2014, 03:25 PM
Life of Illusion, too.

Brooke
08-11-2014, 03:41 PM
I vote for I Can Play That Rock & Roll

Freypower
08-11-2014, 06:36 PM
Keith is the reason I went out and got my left ear pierced years ago. I was listening to Stones records right after I started playing guitar and got into the Eagles and I watched a bunch of Stones videos and I thought he was about a perfect example of what a rockstar is in my mind. The ultimate pirate! The guys in makeup never did much for me as far as idolization or rockstar image I'm afraid although I love glam rock/80s hair metal. But when I think of rockstar guitarists I think of Walsh, Richards, Page, Perry, and Slash. Not so much Carlos Santana or Alex Lifeson. :hilarious:

As far as his kids - yes I agree that would be very tough. As you said - "Do as I say, not as I do". And it's not that I'm proud of his drug use or anything - I just miss the days of rock n' roll when it wasn't so choreographed and suit and tie and everything so planned out. Before the days of long riders and ridiculous things like grapes in the dressing room or having no brown M&Ms in the dish. It's gotten to be a caricature of itself, IMO. I miss the days of just unplanned improvised shows (short of a setlist, that is) and back when it was ok to make mistakes and fly by the seat of your pants onstage. IMO back in the 70s it was more about the music and good times than the money, and less "businessy". Now everyone is jaded and boring and think they have a story to tell. And I think that whole lifestyle was a big component of the music that came out, good or bad, right or wrong. Heck, there is a lot of people that say Aerosmith haven't made a good record since they were clean. And that's just one example. Now I'd much rather have them sober, but IMO the music a lot of us love was a byproduct of the guys who made it living that lifestyle.

Don't get me wrong, I can like a smooth song ok and I was exaggerating some, it's just that I tend to get bored with those who stand in one place onstage and be philosophical all night or tell boring stories or things that suck the fun right out of the room. It's like the same with those who go onstage and give big political rants or life advice or tell your life story. It's like I paid you to shut your trap and sing and rock, not tell me who to vote for or what to support or what I should be doing. Kevin Cronin of REO has done that the 2 times I've seen them and while I love REO, it's grating on my nerves. And while there is a multitude of reasons why I don't go to Ted Nugent's concerts - that's one of them.

I like energy, fun, and a chance to get serious things off of my mind at concerts - not go and be reminded of how bad a shape the world is in or that their dad died in WWII. I'm sorry if that's harsh. It's the same reason I don't watch the news. I have enough sorrow to deal with myself and friends and family's problems - without taking on the world's problems.

Reading this it is hard to understand why you like the Eagles so much and Henley in particular, because if you take Joe out of the equation, Eagles concerts, especially when Henley is singing, seem to epitomise everything you seem to dislike, although perhaps there has been less preaching from them on this tour than previously.

shunlvswx
08-11-2014, 07:19 PM
Life Of Illusion

08-11-2014, 08:11 PM
The next song to be eliminated in the Joe Walsh Music Video Survivor is A Life of Illusion. “A Life of Illusion”, this came with no warning – nature loves her little surprises. But the tribe has spoken and you must leave the island immediately.

The remaining two videos may step forward for the final round.

I Can Play That Rock & Roll vs. The Confessor

Votes
A Life of Illusion – 5
I Can Play That Rock & Roll – 4
The Confessor – 1

Vote Breakdown
A Life of Illusion – sodascouts
A Life of Illusion – MaryCalifornia
A Life of Illusion – TimothyBFan
A Life of Illusion – irga
A Life of Illusion – shunlvswx
I Can Play That Rock & Roll – Freypower
I Can Play That Rock & Roll – Prettymaid
I Can Play That Rock & Roll – Brooke
The Confessor – GlennLover

Video Eliminated:
The Radio Song 8/01
In My Car 8/03
One Day at a Time 8/05
Space Age Whiz Kids 8/09
A Life of Illusion 8/11

Videos Remaining:

We’re at the last round. This round is special, so it’s done differently. We’re not going to vote for the song we want to go. We’re going to vote for the song we want to win. This is how they do it on the real show, after all.

Once again...

VOTE FOR THE SONG YOU WANT TO WIN.

Voting for the final round begins now.

WalshFan88
08-11-2014, 08:22 PM
Reading this it is hard to understand why you like the Eagles so much and Henley in particular, because if you take Joe out of the equation, Eagles concerts, especially when Henley is singing, seem to epitomise everything you seem to dislike, although perhaps there has been less preaching from them on this tour than previously.

I can understand how you might think that, and while I wish at times the Eagles would be more like they were on the HOTE concert DVD and less uptight, I still enjoy them. Joe brings the fun for me, and seeing his antics and guitar work really perk me up. If they lost Joe then I wouldn't like see them live anymore although I'd still listen to their studio records.

The two Eagles shows I've been at there has been no preaching outside of a couple song lyrics, just some jokes and funny remarks. They aren't preaching about a subject or an organization, etc or tell us how to do things. They have a rapid fire song approach to their shows because they have so many songs to do, there is little-to-no room for small talk. And that's including their break.

I've said my thoughts on Henley's preaching outside of the Eagles shows and I don't want to beat that dead horse again. Let me just say I love the man's singing and music, but I wouldn't want to know him personally or work for him.

Freypower
08-11-2014, 08:28 PM
The Confessor has always been my favourite Joe video so I hope it wins.

GlennLover
08-11-2014, 11:51 PM
Sorry, FP. I vote for I Can Play That Rock and Roll.

MaryCalifornia
08-11-2014, 11:54 PM
The Confessor for the win

Brooke
08-12-2014, 10:21 AM
The Confessor for the win for me!

shunlvswx
08-13-2014, 09:39 AM
Actually I wanted The Confessor to be the first song go, but I kept it in.

I like both songs. Until last year, I've never heard of these songs. When I first saw I Can Play That Rock & Roll, I thought it was Life's Been Good since LBG was playing over the ICPTRR video. I really didn't get the video at first, but its a cool.

The Confessor. I hated the video for a while. I just didn't get it, but the video has really grown on me. I like the end when Joe is in the red costume.

So its hard to choice which one because they both has grown on me, but I'm voting for The Confessor to win.

TimothyBFan
08-13-2014, 09:44 AM
I Can Play That Rock & Roll for the win.

sodascouts
08-13-2014, 12:01 PM
I think folks can guess my vote...

THE CONFESSOR for the win!!!!

irga
08-13-2014, 12:08 PM
The Confessor is my choice, too! :-)

08-13-2014, 06:42 PM
Well - Of course, I was sad to see A Life of Illusion eliminated. As far as The Confessor, it may be thought-provoking to some, but for me, it's more like thought-stifling. Call me shallow, but I'm just not the type that wants to be challenged to think that hard about a music video. It's not like it's a book or movie. It's only a very few minutes of entertainment, so if it makes my brain hurt after only a couple of minutes, then I really loose interest in trying to analyze the meaning. Obviously though, I'm in the minority here about this.

And just want to let folks know that I may be late posting the final results tonight because I'm going out to dinner.

So without further ado, even though it won't make any difference, I'm going with the video that makes me laugh ...

I vote for I Can Play That Rock & Roll for the win.

sodascouts
08-13-2014, 07:14 PM
If you're going out, Dreamer, I'll post the results. It's the least I can do. Thank you for handling this game while I was on vacation. You did a fantastic job!

08-13-2014, 09:28 PM
The tribe has spoken and an spite of it's rocky reputation, the winner in the Joe Walsh Music Video Survivor is ...

The Confessor

Vote
The Confessor – 6
I Can Play That Rock & Roll – 3

Vote Breakdown
The Confessor – Freypower
The Confessor – MaryCalifornia
The Confessor – Brooke
The Confessor – shunlvswx
The Confessor – sodascouts
The Confessor – irga
I Can Play That Rock & Roll – GlennLover
I Can Play That Rock & Roll – TimothyBFan

Video Eliminated:
The Radio Song 8/01
In My Car 8/03
One Day at a Time 8/05
Space Age Whiz Kids 8/09
A Life of Illusion 8/11
I Can Play That Rock & Roll 8/13

Go celebrate by watching the video.

Thanks for playing and once again ...

Congratulations to The Confessor!

Prettymaid
08-13-2014, 10:47 PM
Well, would you look at that...The Confessor won...and I forgot to vote. :?

Congratulations to The Confessor. Even though it was not my pick to win, I certainly like it more that I Can Play That Rock & Roll.

sodascouts
08-14-2014, 03:20 AM
You forgot to vote... and I forgot to tally after promising to do so. That's freaking embarrassing.

I'm so sorry, Dreamer, and once again,

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!

sodascouts
08-14-2014, 03:21 AM
Oh, and....

CONGRATS TO THE CONFESSOR!

Well deserved, I say!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quVERH404pA

shunlvswx
08-14-2014, 08:19 AM
Congrats to the Confessor. Both videos are great. This actually was going to be the first song I wanted gone, but I was thinking. Maybe I should keep it in for a couple of rounds. I didn't have the heart to vote for it to be eliminated. The video has really grown on me.

Brooke
08-14-2014, 09:38 AM
Congrats to The Confessor!

Thanks for playing everyone!

Midnight Visitor
08-14-2014, 10:13 AM
Wow! The Confessor won!! What a surprise!! NOT! Ha, ha!! I purposely didn't vote because I wanted to see if I was right w/out influencing anything in the top 3. :headbang:

Prettymaid
08-14-2014, 07:08 PM
This game didn't go like I wanted it to at all! The last time we played, One a Day At a Time didn't even have a video, and I just thought that since it was a fresh, new look at current Joe that more people would want to see it win, like I did. Boy, was I wrong! And I thought I'd never get rid of Space Age Whiz Kids! Ugh! Lol!

The Confessor video doesn't do much for me. Nobody even mentioned what they thought it was about, or the woman's weird glowing eyes! :fear:

Freypower
08-14-2014, 07:22 PM
I had the same feeling of disappointment about ODAAT which repeated what happened to the Route 66 & TSOYS videos in their game. Here was something fresh & different & people didn't want to know.

I have always liked The Confessor because it doesn't show Joe being drunk and/or stupid. I like the eerie & other worldly atmosphere which includes the glowing eyes, I suppose. The unforgiving desert heat emphasises that you can't hide from yourself. Then you have the depth versus the surface of the water. He looks good in the fountain sequence! Then he loses his inhibitions or whatever playing guitar. It just works for me.

sodascouts
08-14-2014, 07:28 PM
The Confessor video doesn't do much for me. Nobody even mentioned what they thought it was about, or the woman's weird glowing eyes! :fear:

An interesting question. What is that about, exactly? I'm going to muse a bit, and come up with something! lol

08-17-2014, 12:44 PM
First of all - I'm a little late, but ...

Congrats to The Confessor!

It was, obviously, not my choice to win, but, the tribe has spoken.

This game didn't go like I wanted it to at all! The last time we played, One a Day At a Time didn't even have a video, and I just thought that since it was a fresh, new look at current Joe that more people would want to see it win, like I did. Boy, was I wrong! And I thought I'd never get rid of Space Age Whiz Kids! Ugh! Lol!

And PM - I mostly agree with your post, with the exception of Space Age Whiz Kids. And even though ODAAT wasn't my pick to win, I had it rated a lot higher than most of the players. What I thought was particularly interesting about this game is how different the results were from the first time we played it. In most cases, when we repeat the Survivor games, the order of elimination may vary some between the two games, but, usually, not significantly. However, this game went VERY different from the first time. Don't know why, but I find it interesting, nonetheless. In any event, I thought it was fun and there was some interesting discussion. I, too, would look forward to someone's explanation of The Confessor video.

Prettymaid
08-19-2014, 11:00 PM
Dreamer, you made me curious to see the results of the previous Joe's Video Survivor Game, so I just spent the last half hour reading through it. It was fun to see the differences between this game and that one way back in 2009.

If anyone else would like to look, here's the link.

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2120

sodascouts
08-20-2014, 12:58 AM
Wow - that really is different! "The Confessor" didn't even make the final two! Plus, my opinion of "Life of Illusion" has obviously reverted since then, lol. Interesting.