PDA

View Full Version : With a Little Help From My Friends

Molly
09-17-2007, 07:25 PM
I mentioned last Spring that my sister, Donna, had been quite sick. The doctors went around and around trying to diagnose her thinking at first it might be cancer then possibly a serious lung infection.

After having surgery to remove part of her lung (damaged by the infection) and weeks of antibiotic therapy, she still had many of her symptoms. Finally, after a risky biopsy of her esophagus she was indeed diagnosed with esophageal cancer.

She just finished up 6 weeks of radiation and chemotherapy. She still isn't able to eat and has had a feeding tube since June. The tumor has shrunk somewhat, but the cancer is still there and the doctors have decided that her next best shot is to go in and attempt to remove the tumor. This Wednesday, she'll have a large portion of her esophagus removed and the doctors will use part of her stomach to reconstruct and "esophagus" so hopefully, she'll be able to eat again at some point.

Gruesome stuff!

I just got off the phone with her and she's very very scared. Frankly, I'm pretty frightened for her. She's tough, but it's been an awful lot to deal with. It's been hard to see her go through what she's been going through and keep a postive attitude.

Anyway, I'm a firm believer in positive thoughts and the power of prayer. So, I hope you'll do me a huge favor, and keep her in your thoughts over the next few days. I know she'll feel it!

Freypower
09-17-2007, 07:39 PM
I send my best wishes and sympathy to her, Molly. I will be thinking of her.

Perfect Little Sister
09-17-2007, 07:51 PM
Oh my gosh, Molly. I will pray for her as well as add her to my mom's and my mother in law's prayer chains. I believe so firmly in the power of prayer. (or positive thinking if one is more comfortable with that word) My dad was giving a 15% chance that radiation therapy would help his prostate cancer after surgery failed. That was five years ago and he is still cancer free. He was on prayer chains around the world. You do the math. :wink:

Ive always been a dreamer
09-17-2007, 09:29 PM
Oh Molly - I will definately keep both you and Donna in my thoughts. I'm sure this has to be a very scary and rough time for both of you. I know you will find the strength you need to be there for her. Keep the faith, and we all pray that the surgery will work for her.

sodascouts
09-17-2007, 11:19 PM
She, her family, and you are in my prayers as well. What a horrible thing for anyone to have to go through. I ferverently pray this surgery is successful.

Maleah
09-17-2007, 11:21 PM
Molly my thoughts and prayers are with your sister and your entire family! What a horrible ordeal for her to have to go through!

DonFan
09-17-2007, 11:24 PM
Molly, your sister and your entire family are in my prayers as well. She has been so brave and strong so far, I pray that her strength continues and that the surgery is successful.

SweetHolly
09-18-2007, 12:25 AM
Molly, you and your family will all be in my thoughts and prayers.

Mrs Frey
09-18-2007, 02:15 AM
Molly, I am so sorry to read that your sister is going through so much hell. I know exactly how you and your family feel at this point, and my thoughts are with all of you. I will pray that her operation will be a success and that she will ultimately beat this cancer. It is such an awful disease, which can strike without warning.

glenneaglesfan
09-18-2007, 03:12 AM
Molly, I am so sorry to hear about your sister and the major surgery that lies ahead. She has been through so much already. I'll be keeping Donna, and you and your families, in my thoughts and prayers.

Brooke
09-18-2007, 10:47 AM
This is just terrible Molly. You all are in my thoughts and prayers, too.

tbs fanatic
09-18-2007, 11:04 AM
Molly - so sorry to hear all that your sister is going through. Sending positive thoughts for your sister for brighter days ahead.

rcknalwys
09-18-2007, 08:09 PM
My heart goes out to you and your family, know that you are all in my prayers. May the surgery be a success.

EasyFeeling
09-19-2007, 01:25 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that, Molly. I will be thinking of Donna. All my best wishes to her!

Molly
09-19-2007, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the good wishes, guys. Donna made it thru her surgery today, so the first hurdle has been cleared. It will be a few days before she's really "out of the woods" from the surgery and a bit longer after that before they can run some tests and see how successful the surgery was. Stressful day, but hey, one day at a time, right?

When I went to her at her home yesterday afternoon I signed on to her son's laptop so she could see the message board.

She's not at all computer saavy and had no idea what a message board even was. I'm not sure what astounded her more...reading your messages or the pictures in Frey Fever!

Glad she can't see the old Flip City message board. She doesn't need to know just how naughty and shallow her little sister can be sometimes.

Anyway, she was very moved by your messages and wanted me to send her love back to all of you!

DonFan
09-19-2007, 09:11 PM
I'm glad to hear the surgery went well. We will continue to keep her in our thoughts!

SweetHolly
09-19-2007, 10:49 PM
I'm so glad that Donna made it through the surgery Molly.

glenneaglesfan
09-20-2007, 06:05 AM
Aw Molly, that was a lovely idea to show Donna the messages here. I'm so glad to hear that she has made it through the surgery. We'll keep on hoping and praying that she makes a good recovery.

EasyFeeling
09-20-2007, 06:35 AM
Good news, Molly. I'm glad we could support Donna a bit with our messages. :)

sodascouts
09-20-2007, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the update. I'm also glad to hear she came through the surgery OK and I'll continue to pray for her and all of you. Send her love back!

I'm so glad the message board posts gave her a lift! I think there's no better use for this place.

(And yeah, I'd never show any member of my family Flip City either!)

Glennsallnighter
09-20-2007, 05:50 PM
Molly I'm so glad your sister is doing well now and well keep her and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Molly! You! Naughty and Shallow? Never!!

I'd never even show this message board to any of my family :wink:

Freypower
09-20-2007, 08:21 PM
I hope she continues to do well and takes care of herself.

Ive always been a dreamer
09-21-2007, 01:35 PM
Molly - I continue to keep you and Donna in my thoughts and prayers. Hopefully, she will continue to improve. I also hope that showing her the Border was good therapy for her. And I agree with GA - there is no way she would ever come to the conclusion that you are naughty or shallow. :D (Hey - truth is, she is probably saying "Little Sis - you go girl!") ;)

Molly
09-21-2007, 05:35 PM
(Hey - truth is, she is probably saying "Little Sis - you go girl!") ;)

Actually, she does call me Little Sis or Sissy (which until recently used to bug me!) and truthfully she wouldn't dare call me naughty or shallow since she was the "wild child" of the family!

Being the baby in the family, many of my older siblings still have a hard time believing some of the stuff that comes out of my mouth. I don't know why, where do they think I learned it from?

Glennsallnighter
09-21-2007, 06:40 PM
Indeed! :wink:

Glad to hear Donna is improving Molly!

rcknalwys
09-22-2007, 12:03 AM
Wonderful news Molly. We will all continue sending prayers and good thoughts your way for you and your loved ones. So sweet of you to share the board and brighten Donna's day.

Marco
09-27-2007, 03:46 PM
I'm sorry for Your sister Molly I hope that her life will be better in the future.

Molly
09-27-2007, 06:14 PM
Thanks, again, everyone. She's still in the hospital- but getting a little stronger every day.

sodascouts
09-27-2007, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the update. I will pray her upward trend continues. She's been through so much!

Glennsallnighter
09-27-2007, 06:33 PM
Thanks, again, everyone. She's still in the hospital- but getting a little stronger every day.

Well thats good news Molly. We'll keep her in our thoughts and prayers.

SweetHolly
09-27-2007, 09:20 PM
Molly, I'm glad to hear Donna's getting stronger. I'll keep y'all in my thoughts and prayers.

glenneaglesfan
09-28-2007, 02:40 PM
Molly, glad to hear that Donna is making progress. Please let her know that we are all wishing her a quick recovery, and are keeping you all in our thoughts and prayers.