PDA

View Full Version : Deep Tracks

Perfect Little Sister
09-18-2007, 07:39 PM
Awhile back I had noted in the How Long thread that I seem to be hearing more Eagles music on my radio lately. Particularly, I've been hearing songs they don't usually play like Already Gone and James Dean. Today I went out to grab some lunch and the station I had on started cutting out. I switched stations and caught the end of Dirty Laundry. Not unusual to hear this particular song, however, it was followed by King Of Hollywood! I can't remember the last time I heard KOH on the radio!

sodascouts
09-18-2007, 10:53 PM
The top 20 deep tracks that I'd love to hear on the radio are:

Most of Us Are Sad (This song has grown on me so much!)
Out of Control
Outlaw Man
Saturday Night
Already Gone
Midnight Flyer
My Man
Ol' 55
Good Day in Hell
Too Many Hands
After the Thrill Is Gone
Victim of Love
Pretty Maids All in a Row
Those Shoes
Seven Bridges Road

Good topic!

Freypower
09-19-2007, 12:12 AM
I don't listen to the radio but I would nominate these lesser known tracks to be played:

Train Leaves Here This Morning
Outlaw Man
Certain Kind Of Fool
Bitter Creek
On The Border
Good Day In Hell
Too Many Hands
Pretty Maids All In A Row
King Of Hollywood
The Sad Cafe
The Girl From Yesterday
Learn To Be Still

Mrs Frey
09-19-2007, 07:33 AM
Well, I would be happy if I heard ANYTHING by The Eagles on local radio. :roll: I don't even hear Elvis or The Beatles anymore. :roll: :roll:

Lesser known Eagles songs (at least around these parts!) that I'm particularly fond of include the following (but fat chance of my ever hearing it on the radio!):

The Girl From Yesterday
The Heart Of The Matter
Good Day In Hell
Out Of Control
On The Border
James Dean
After The Thrill Is Gone
Best Of My Love

Glennsallnighter
09-19-2007, 08:00 AM
Yes, The Dublin radio stations aren't renowned for playing Eagles songs either unfortunately, and if they do, they tend to be the old reliables such as LE, PEF and TIE. Some of the lesser heard tracks (Whats lesser than nothing I ask? :lol: ) that I'd like to hear are:

Already Gone
The girl from Yesterday
The Last Resort
Witchy Woman (For my daughter who loves it)
Midnight Flyer (For my son who loves it)
James Dean
Outlaw man
Twenty one
Pretty maids all in a row
Best of my love

As with all of these, the list is not exhaustive and is liable to be changed at any time! Apart from the top 2 they are in no particular order as such.

Brooke
09-19-2007, 11:49 AM
I guess I'm really lucky, cause all my classic rock stations play lots of Eagles and solo stuff. I actually kept track of the songs I heard every day for a couple months and it was quite a lot, to my amazement! And they play lots of different songs, not just the same old ones!

So, I guess I should applaud KRNQ, KRXL, 95.3, and KZZB! :yay: :yay: :yay: Way to go! :D

Edited to add: I requested How Long the other day and they didn't have it yet! :roll:

Brooke
09-19-2007, 03:49 PM
:shock: I switched to a country station today and voila, HL is now playing! :yay:

glenneaglesfan
09-19-2007, 04:00 PM
Brooke, that's great and I'm really envious. I try to listen to a few classic rock stations over here. Occasionally they play the Eagles, usually the stalwarts of HC & TIE, but they have played Tequila Sunrise, PEF, Heartache Tonight & LITFL while I've been listening, then Don's BOS and THIO (rarely). How I'd love to hear more.

Rare ones I've heard on Virgin Classic Rock include Best Of My Love and Midnight Flyer.

rcknalwys
09-19-2007, 06:40 PM
My local stations are a bit light on the Eagles also. But today I heard All She Wants to Do is Dance. I know, technically it's a Don Henley song, but I've heard it at a couple of Eagles concerts, so I'm counting it.
My list:

I Can't Tell You Why
Take It To The Limit
Sad Cafe
Ol' 55
Try and Love Again
Heart Of The Matter
One Day at a Time
Victim of Love
After The Thrill is Gone
Seven Bridges Road

Of course Joe's Life's Been Good, Rocky Mountain Way and Walk Away are up there too. But seriously folks, any time an Eagles song is played I get excited!

Maleah
09-19-2007, 10:40 PM
They don't necessarily play a LOT of the eagles up here, but when they do, we actually get to hear songs like The Long Run, Those Shoes, In The City, I Can't Tell You Why, and Life in the Fastlane the most. But I have heard The Last Resort, You Never Cry Like a Lover, After the Thrill is Gone, and Victim of Love a few times as well.

I was absoutely stunned to hear the middle two there. :shock:

DonFan
09-20-2007, 08:54 AM
Y'all are so lucky that your radio stations vary their play list.

We NEVER hear album cuts here--only ths same, standard list of Top 40 hits. The only album cut I have ever heard on any of our stations was Those Shoes, and that was just one time, at night, about 3 years ago. I almost drove off the road.

They aren't playing How Long either. :cry:
I only heard No More Cloudy Days about a dozen times before they dropped it, too, so I am crossing my fingers in hopes that they will play songs from the new Eagles album next month.

tbs fanatic
09-20-2007, 12:13 PM
Everytime I get in the car I twiddle with the radio in the hopes of finding How Long but noooooooooo :evil:

I do tend to hear a good bit of Don songs and Joe songs too but if it's an Eagles song it's the usual ones HC, TIE etc.

Molly
09-20-2007, 05:19 PM
The Appleton, WI radio station used to play "Partytown" every Friday afternoon around 6pm to celebrate the start of the weekend, but I haven't heard that in a while.

I heard "Do Something" the other day in the car which was a nice surprise!

Our local classic hits station plays a lot of Eagles. I've signed up to get e-mail announcements from the station and the station's logo/header includes an Eagles group shot.

Maleah
09-20-2007, 08:55 PM
I should add that we actually hear glenn's Partytown and HIO quite a bit. I've even heard Smuggler's Blues few times!

Perfect Little Sister
10-08-2007, 07:39 PM
You wanna talk about a deep track...yesterday my local radio station played Those Shoes. Those Shoes :shock: .

tbs fanatic
10-08-2007, 09:36 PM
I've given up on my radio stations but I've become a regular customer of our local Ace Hardware Store. They obviously have an avid Eagles fan working there because everytime I go there now they have The Eagles playing - Ha!

SweetHolly
10-17-2007, 09:17 PM
This afternoon before I left to come to the library, I was flipping through the Music Choice channels we get on digital cable and I heard Soul Searchin'. :D

Perfect Little Sister
10-19-2007, 06:33 PM
Yesterday I got Seven Bridges Road. My local DJ, Greg Kihn, often plays Eagles song around the time my alarm goes off. Wonderful man. :D

Freypower
04-01-2015, 06:45 PM
I found the Deep Tracks thread but it seems to be mainly about hearing obscure songs on radio. If anyone wishes to list their favourites feel free. Most of mine are from LROOE.

Funk 50
04-02-2015, 04:50 PM
Yes, as the album was ignored for the HOTE Tour, Long Road Out Of Eden is the mine of Deep Tracks.

Center Of The Universe, You Are Not Alone, Waiting In The Weeds, Business As Usual, Fast Company, It's Your World Now, How Long, What Do I Do With My Heart, Guilty Of The Crime etc.

Since the turn of the Century, I'm thinking the solo tracks are being neglected.

Frey's, Lovers' Moon, River Of Dreams, The One You Love, Part Of You, Part Of Me, Soul Searching, Smuggler's Blues, Brave New World & Wild Mountain Thyme...

Walsh's pre Eagles albums were all worthy of fortieth anniversary revisits. Theme From The Boat Weirdos, Rockets, Bones, Class Of '65, Shadows, Slow Dancing, Rosewood Bitters, Decades, Wrecking Ball, Second Hand Store, I can't pull out favourite tracks, they're all treasures to me.

Henley's, I Will Not Go Quietly, You Don't Know Me At All, Long Way Home, Lilah, They're Not Here, They're Not Coming, If Dirt Were Dollars, Goodbye To A River, Everything Is Different Now,...

Schmit's solo career is still burgeoning. It's sort of one album old, although he's released 5 albums and has a large, under represented back catalog with Poco behind that too. I'll name 3; Give Me Back My Sight. Make You Feel My Love (Dylan Cover) and Skatin' (Poco).

Henley once said the stuff he was writing with Danny Kortchmar was equal to, if not better than his Eagles material. I think all their solo albums have tracks, equal to, if not better than the Eagles deep cuts.

Freypower
04-02-2015, 05:15 PM
I hate to think of POMPOY, Glenn's greatest solo song, as a deep track. But it isn't even on Live In Dublin, so....

I don't know about WMT, because it IS on Dublin. I tend to think that if songs are on videos or DVDs, they're not deep cuts. Smuggler's Blues is perhaps his best known song after THIO & YBTTC, so not deep. Same for TOYL which is in his solo setlist. Remember I saw these songs played as recently as 2013.

These, however, I would call deep tracks:

All Those Lies
That Girl
The Allnighter (even though it's the title track of an album)
Flip City (you really have to be a fan to know it)
Working Man (both fast & slow versions)
It's Your Life
It's Cold In Here
Ain't In Love (both the last mentioned are truly deep as they only had limited release)
I hesitate to name the entire Strange Weather album but not one track has been played from it live since 2000.

For whatever reason Henley's albums don't seem to have 'deep' tracks to me. I guess the most obvious is the wonderful A Month Of Sundays which is my favourite song by him. I would have to agree with You Don't Know Me At All. I would think others might mention his movie soundtrack songs.

Funk 50
04-04-2015, 05:46 AM
I dunno what the other Brits here think but the Eagles are pretty much an irrelevance in the UK media nowadays. They hardly ever make the top 100 artists played on the BBC each week.

It's not rare to hear the Eagles on the radio but compared to previous decades, it's a tiny amount despite there still being a lot of 70s radio presenters presenting regular radio shows.

Individually, Glenn Frey has one track, The Heat Is On. Henley has The Boys Of Summer and maybe The End Of The Innocence. I heard Funk #49 and Ashes, The Rain And I (The James Gang) for the first time on radio this year but a Walsh track would inevitably be Rocky Mountain Way or Life's Been Good.

The HFO resumption has been a resounding triumph for the band but the music they've produced together and separately since, has failed to make the same impact as the music they produced before it, at least here in the UK.

So despite Hell Freezes Over and Long Road Out Of Eden being big hit albums, I'd consider all the solo material, barring the tracks I've named, and all the new material, since HFO to be Eagles deep tracks.

Ive always been a dreamer
04-04-2015, 02:07 PM
For whatever reason Henley's albums don't seem to have 'deep' tracks to me. I guess the most obvious is the wonderful A Month Of Sundays which is my favourite song by him. I would have to agree with You Don't Know Me At All. I would think others might mention his movie soundtrack songs.

Well - that's an interesting observation, FP as I feel like there are numerous deep tracks on Henley's solo albums ... too numerous to list, but if I just look at I Can't Stand Still alone, the only track on it that I don't consider a deep cut is Dirty Laundry. I guess we have different perspectives about what constitutes a 'deep track'. :shrug:

Freypower
04-04-2015, 05:40 PM
I dunno what the other Brits here think but the Eagles are pretty much an irrelevance in the UK media nowadays. They hardly ever make the top 100 artists played on the BBC each week.

It's not rare to hear the Eagles on the radio but compared to previous decades, it's a tiny amount despite there still being a lot of 70s radio presenters presenting regular radio shows.

Individually, Glenn Frey has one track, The Heat Is On. Henley has The Boys Of Summer and maybe The End Of The Innocence. I heard Funk #49 and Ashes, The Rain And I (The James Gang) for the first time on radio this year but a Walsh track would inevitably be Rocky Mountain Way or Life's Been Good.

The HFO resumption has been a resounding triumph for the band but the music they've produced together and separately since, has failed to make the same impact as the music they produced before it, at least here in the UK.

So despite Hell Freezes Over and Long Road Out Of Eden being big hit albums, I'd consider all the solo material, barring the tracks I've named, and all the new material, since HFO to be Eagles deep tracks.

I'm sorry but I don't consider solo material counts as 'Eagles' deep tracks.

Are you now saying the tracks you listed are NOT deep tracks? Certainly a couple of the Frey tracks you listed aren't, as I already said.

I just am not sure that it's right to label an entire album as consisting of 'deep tracks' because it may not have been commercially successful. I don't think How Long is deep, or Busy Being Fabulous, because there were videos for those songs. The title track of LROOE & Waiting In The Weeds became two of the band's best known songs.

I guess After Hours 'failed to make an impact' but if 'deep' means only Glenn Frey fanatics are aware of the songs, I think that's too harsh.

Freypower
04-04-2015, 05:45 PM
Well - that's an interesting observation, FP as I feel like there are numerous deep tracks on Henley's solo albums ... too numerous to list, but if I just look at I Can't Stand Still alone, the only track on it that I don't consider a deep cut is Dirty Laundry. I guess we have different perspectives about what constitutes a 'deep track'. :shrug:

I guess I would list the following Henley songs as deep. As I said in my previous post I don't agree with labelling most of an album 'deep' just because it isn't that well known. I will list two from each album.

Long Way Home
Lilah
A Month Of Sundays
You're Not Drinking Enough
How Bad Do You Want It?
If Dirt Were Dollars
Damn It, Rose
Nobody Else In The World But You

Funk 50
04-05-2015, 07:47 AM
I'm sorry but I don't consider solo material counts as 'Eagles' deep tracks.

Are you now saying the tracks you listed are NOT deep tracks? Certainly a couple of the Frey tracks you listed aren't, as I already said.

I just am not sure that it's right to label an entire album as consisting of 'deep tracks' because it may not have been commercially successful. I don't think How Long is deep, or Busy Being Fabulous, because there were videos for those songs. The title track of LROOE & Waiting In The Weeds became two of the band's best known songs.

I guess After Hours 'failed to make an impact' but if 'deep' means only Glenn Frey fanatics are aware of the songs, I think that's too harsh.

I don't think there is anything wrong with being labelled a deep track. I'm a huge Walsh fan. Here in the UK, most of his albums didn't even make the charts. I spent many years just trying to locate them. The first time I saw a Joe Walsh set list, Funk #49 was, I thought, the most obscure song listed.

It's difficult to know how well known the Eagles are in the UK. They're almost anonymous in the modern media but they still fill all the big arenas when they perform here.

The solitary Henley show I attended, at the peak of his success, was a nowhere near full arena. Schmit filled a small venue of a couple of hundred people.

As someone who doesn't really watch music videos, they don't really have an impact on my opinion of a song.

Wild Mountain Thyme is a track Glenn Frey has never done a studio recording of and has performed very rarely, maybe even, only once in his career. I'd guess that more people are aware of Flip City than Glenn's version of Wild Mountain Thyme.

To reiterate, in the UK, I'd consider all the solo material, barring Glenn's, The Heat Is On, Henley's, The Boys Of Summer and The End Of The Innocence plus Joe's, Rocky Mountain Way or Life's Been Good to be deep cuts as well as all the new Eagles material, since HFO.

I don't know if you're aware of the popular TV quiz show Pointless but I'd consider any answer to the question "Name any Eagles track or solo Eagles track" that would get an answer in single figures, to be a deep track. So it's not an exact science and there is probably more grey than black and white.

MortSahlFan
08-03-2015, 02:46 PM
I only have FM radio, so everything played is a hit. I heard "Hotel California" within 15 minutes of each other.

Because I'm in Michigan, they tend to play a lot of Eagles since Glenn is from Detroit :)