PDA

View Full Version : Busy Being Fabulous

Perfect Little Sister
09-20-2007, 02:34 PM
Go to the official Eagles site. They have a clip up of the new song!

SweetHolly
09-20-2007, 02:46 PM
Yay!! :D

glenneaglesfan
09-20-2007, 04:00 PM
Cool find, PLS. It sounds like a good Don song to me. 8)

sodascouts
09-20-2007, 04:10 PM
Thanks for the heads-up! A Don vocal. The lyric snippet is this:

You were just too busy being fabulous
Too busy to think about us
I don't know what you were dreaming of
Somehow you forgot about love
And you were just too busy being fabulous

So what do you guys think?

EasyFeeling
09-20-2007, 04:12 PM
Sounds like another good new song. :D

Freypower
09-20-2007, 07:47 PM
I like the fact that they seem to have returned to their mid 70s sound. I liked the 'ah hah' at the end. That's what Don used to sing like.

sodascouts
09-20-2007, 09:32 PM
This also has a bit of a country flavor to it. I like it; it's got a pleasant melody and the "uh-huh" is a nice touch. The album so far is looking pretty good!

DonFan
09-20-2007, 09:41 PM
I like it too. What a nice little surprise--thanks for the heads-up.

The teaser at the bottom of their site says to watch for more clips from new songs in upcoming weeks.

JoeFan
09-21-2007, 04:21 AM
Good song, I quite like it actually, but I prefer How Long.

EasyFeeling
09-21-2007, 05:59 AM
This also has a bit of a country flavor to it. I like it; it's got a pleasant melody and the "uh-huh" is a nice touch. The album so far is looking pretty good!

Actually I never liked that country flavor much. But I got used to it (thanks Keith :wink: ) and now I like it.

tbs fanatic
09-21-2007, 11:45 AM
I only heard a short clip of the new song. Is the whole song on there somewhere?

Ive always been a dreamer
09-21-2007, 12:34 PM
I only heard a short clip of the new song. Is the whole song on there somewhere?

I think the clip on the official site is it for right now, tbs. I like what I've heard of the song. However, there does seem to be a strong country flavor to some of the songs they've released so far i.e. Do Something, How Long, and now Busy Being Fabulous. When I first listened to the clip, I thought to myself, "Man, they are really taking on a strong country sound, in addition to aligning themselves with the Dixie Chicks, Reba McIntire, and Kenny Chesney of late." However, then there is NMCD and Fast Company, which aren't country at all to me. Maybe they are going to give us a little bit of everything - a mix of many styles. After all, back in the day, they did Bluegrass to Hard Rock, and everything in between. It worked then, so maybe it'll work now, too.

The Bomber
09-22-2007, 08:10 PM
Okay, so I got that one wrong! It's Henley's song after all. Should've known it was about a woman.

rcknalwys
09-22-2007, 11:08 PM
Thanks for the heads up, finally got to listen to it. Very catchy, wanted to hear more of it. From the snippet, it sounds great. Hope they put up more teasers to keep us wanting even more!

Brooke
09-26-2007, 04:33 PM
Oooohh, Don sounds fabulous! I really like it! :applause:

It has another country flavor, but I really think that that is where the market is for them these days as far as getting airplay. Classic rock stations might play a little of their new stuff, but any major moolah (if that's what they're after) will be made in the country genre. I just don't see 60ish rock stars being popular anywhere else on the radio. jmo. What do you think?

Glenn's Girl
09-28-2007, 12:28 PM
I agree Brooke. It's smart for them to go for the country market.

sodascouts
09-28-2007, 12:34 PM

It has another country flavor, but I really think that that is where the market is for them these days as far as getting airplay. Classic rock stations might play a little of their new stuff, but any major moolah (if that's what they're after) will be made in the country genre. I just don't see 60ish rock stars being popular anywhere else on the radio. jmo. What do you think?

Do you think How Long sounds "60ish"? I don't know. I do know, though, that it sounds very different from the other songs on the top 40 pop charts, so perhaps it wouldn't fare so well against them. Still, we've seen country tunes make the pop charts before. Look at Shania Twain. When I listen to the radio now and hear songs like the Foo Fighters' "Pretender", Matchbox20's "How Far We've Come," and Maroon 5's "Wake Up Call" - there is quite a gulf between those songs and How Long.

Brooke
09-28-2007, 01:41 PM

Do you think How Long sounds "60ish"? I don't know. I do know, though, that it sounds very different from the other songs on the top 40 pop charts, so perhaps it wouldn't fare so well against them. Still, we've seen country tunes make the pop charts before. Look at Shania Twain. When I listen to the radio now and hear songs like the Foo Fighters' "Pretender", Matchbox20's "How Far We've Come," and Maroon 5's "Wake Up Call" - there is quite a gulf between those songs and How Long.

Oh no, you took 60ish wrong! Not as in music from the 60's. I meant their ages! Just can't see Glenn and the guys up there on the pop charts with say Justin Timberlake or any of those you mentioned! Like watching a video from Timberlake then, up next, the Eagles! I just can't see that with the age difference! You will see it though, on CMT or GAC. Country is much more diversified. It can go from Carrie Underwood or Taylor Swift to Johnny Cash or Willie Nelson! And I've seen How Long on CMT now. Finally! :D

EasyFeeling
09-28-2007, 03:34 PM
If you are right with your guess, Brooke, I think the new Eagles songs will never make it here in Germany. :headshake:

sodascouts
09-28-2007, 04:28 PM
Ah, sorry I got that wrong, Brooke! But on VH1 I not only saw their video, but videos by Bruce Springsteen, Melissa Etheridge, and Bon Jovi all interspersed with modern music. Admittedly Bon Jovi is younger but still not young.

Brooke
09-28-2007, 07:10 PM
8) I'm pleasantly surprised!

Billy
11-02-2007, 01:47 PM
I actually think this song is great.It's one of the stronger songs on the CD.

Freypower
11-02-2007, 06:24 PM
It's a strong song with a typical Eagles message. Again I wish I knew who played what.

Maleah
11-02-2007, 11:34 PM
Looooooooove this one! Definently one of my favorites. It has SUCH a catchy melody and catch phrase. This is one of the three that I find myself singing when I'm all alone with no music on. lol

*edit*

I should add that the only thing I don't like is when it gets to the bridge. There's these certain parts in the music that seem to throw off the balance and melody. I don't know how to explain it. It sounds almost like deep bells but I'm sure it's the keyboard. Anyway...it just seems to kind of disrupt the melody to me. But not enough that I don't love it :D

sodascouts
11-02-2007, 11:54 PM
The thing about this song is the hook. It stays in your brain. That kind of thing is what makes a single successful.

11-03-2007, 01:36 PM
I like this song, but it's not one of my favorites. However, I agree that it has that catchy hook that stays with you. I mean how many times already in our everyday conversations have we used the phrase. Heck - like many of you, I was saying it as soon as I saw title before I had even heard the first note. :wink:

timfan
11-03-2007, 03:36 PM
I went grocery shopping today and when I got into the car .. what is playing on the radio but "Busy Being Fabulous". :D 8)

Molly
11-03-2007, 03:57 PM
I like the song, but, and this may sound stupid, but, the word "fabulous" grates on me. It makes me think of the TV show "Housewives of Orange County" -those women attempt "fabulocity" 24 hours a day 7 days a week and I find them extremely irritating.

tbsfan
11-03-2007, 04:56 PM
I like the song, but, and this may sound stupid, but, the word "fabulous" grates on me. It makes me think of the TV show "Housewives of Orange County" -those women attempt "fabulocity" 24 hours a day 7 days a week and I find them extremely irritating.
Fabulous is one of my least favorite words, but I do love the song, and I think it's because it is a bit of a rant about people like those women on HOOC - shallow, materialistic, etc.

Busy Being Fabulous is one of my top five songs on the CD. Coincidentally, as I started typing this response while listening to Joe's interview on Planet Rock, this song started playing. I think I like it more each time I hear it.

Maleah
11-03-2007, 07:58 PM
People magazine reviewed the cd and named this their "Download This" song and talked about how catchy it is. When I get back from dinner I'll type out the review. I couldn't find it online. lol

Billy
11-03-2007, 11:00 PM
I predict that in the long run....we'll hear that in concerts in 2017..A new Eagles classic.

Perfect Little Sister
11-05-2007, 02:20 PM
It's very catchy. I think this will be one of those "instant classic" songs.

Brooke
11-05-2007, 02:39 PM
I just love BBF! Don sounds well, ......fabulous! I really love the "that's all she wrote!" line! This is already one of my favorites. :D

Glennsallnighter
11-05-2007, 08:51 PM
My 6 year old daughter asked about the lyrics so I explained what they were about to her. She promptly came back with

"You were just too busy to be fabulous
Too busy thinkin' about us
You were just too busy to be fabulous
Oh mom!"

Isn't she sweet! And it was all off her own bat!

sodascouts
11-05-2007, 09:39 PM
Too cute GA! This song is even catchy to kiddies - at least the ones with good taste. ;)

Freypower
11-05-2007, 09:45 PM
You're absolutely right! It's one of Rosalind's favourites too! :D

That line 'that was all she wrote' was also used in Boz Scaggs' Lido Shuffle. I take it is a standard line used when a woman isn't treating her man very well (in Lido Shuffle the note says 'toe the line or blow it').

Glennsallnighter
11-06-2007, 05:36 AM
Too cute GA! This song is even catchy to kiddies - at least the ones with good taste. ;)

Well naturally :wink: . Its my son's favourite off the new album (he's only 3!). But My daughters favourite is actually How Long, and she follows it with WDIDWMH!

Mrs Frey
11-06-2007, 06:34 AM
My 6 year old daughter asked about the lyrics so I explained what they were about to her. She promptly came back with

"You were just too busy to be fabulous
Too busy thinkin' about us
You were just too busy to be fabulous
Oh mom!"

Isn't she sweet! And it was all off her own bat!

I haven't had the privilege of hearing this song yet, but that's very cute, GA! Your children have impeccable taste! :D :D

Brooke
11-06-2007, 10:32 AM
You gals are definitely starting these kids out right with good music! Way to go!

I'm going to get my son (25... ok, no comments there!) a copy and see what he has to say about it! He has already put in a bid to go to one of their concerts with us, so I think he might like it. :D

Billy
11-07-2007, 06:35 PM
I just love BBF! Don sounds well, ......fabulous! I really love the "that's all she wrote!" line! This is already one of my favorites. :D

I'm an old sado but i find myself putting it on in the car on the way to work every morning.(i'm a mile away,so it's just enought time)..

The Bomber
11-10-2007, 11:47 PM
This one's great! I've known women like this, hahaha. A favorite.

Glennsallnighter
11-11-2007, 05:04 PM

Well yes, I know a few women like that also. I'm not being critical of them. We are all motivated by different goals, but I don't think I'd fit the bill!

Both my kids love BBF!

tbs fanatic
11-13-2007, 02:08 PM
Am I right that BBF is going to be the next single?

Brooke
11-14-2007, 04:11 PM
Am I right that BBF is going to be the next single?

That's what Don said in one of the interviews.

eagleshenleyfan
11-18-2007, 12:31 PM
LOL Me too Bomber, I was unsure of BBF at first, now I think it's great and if it's to be the next single that's ideal. Count me in as another fan of the 'that's all she wrote' line.

sodascouts
11-24-2007, 01:02 AM
I was looking through my deluxe booklet and I noticed that the song was attributed to not only Don and Glenn, but to Steuart Smith as well. My original booklet only had Don and Glenn. Another mistake in attribution?

Freypower
11-24-2007, 06:21 PM
As I said in the FG thread, Steuart's importance has grown way out of proportion. :?

sodascouts
11-24-2007, 08:31 PM
Yeah - and it is strange that it wasn't credited in the original booklet, but then again, neither was JD Souther for "Last Good Time in Town." This leads me to believe that the addition of Smith in the Deluxe Edition's liner notes was not a mistake, and that he indeed contributed to the writing of those songs.

But look at it this way - if it's Henley/Frey/Smith or nothing, I prefer the former.

timfan
11-24-2007, 08:40 PM
We must remember that no matter how little Smith contributes to a song, if he helps write it in any way he will be included in the credits. I remember Timothy in the Gold interviews noting that Steuart worked with him "a bit" on the bridge of "Do Something" but the impression was definately that Don and Timothy wrote the rest of that song themselves.

Billy
01-11-2008, 09:36 PM
Just wanted to give you an update.On itunes in the UK.Apart from "How Long ",this song is miles ahead of all the others in term of sales.
And if you'll forgive me...it's my favourite,too.

Billy

Glennsallnighter
01-12-2008, 04:47 AM
There's nothing to forgive, Billy! You're entitled to have your favourite :D

tbs fanatic
01-14-2008, 02:33 PM
Billy - where have you been?

sodascouts
01-14-2008, 04:08 PM
If you go to the Eagles' MySpace (http://www.myspace.com/eaglesmusic/), you'll see they have a little graphic for Busy Being Fabulous on their music player that I assume would be the single cover if such were still sold physically. No photo of the band though!

Brooke
02-15-2008, 11:52 AM
I finally saw BBF on CMT last weekend and heard it on the radio for the first time yesterday and again this morning! :D

DonFan
04-07-2008, 07:17 PM
My daughter was home from college this weekend and was showing me her myspace page, and we started "monkeying around" on myspace and stumbled across this behind the scenes video of Busy Being Fabulous. I had no clue the band had put this up!

Take a look--"quicker than a flu shot!" :wink:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=28311443

Perfect Little Sister
04-07-2008, 07:30 PM
That was fun DF, thanks for posting it!

sodascouts
04-07-2008, 10:08 PM
Aw, that was cute! Thanks for posting it!

Freypower
04-07-2008, 10:59 PM
It's good, isn't it?

Head to Frey Fever for the inevitable screen shot/s. :twisted:

Brooke
04-08-2008, 09:46 AM
Love it! Thanks DF! 8)

I was just wondering the other day how this song was doing on the charts. Anyone know?

I don't hear it much.

glenneaglesfan
04-08-2008, 10:51 AM
Thanks for that BBF video, DF. It's great hearing Glenn's little comments! "Here comes the second chorus and look out, I'm gonna really cut loose!"

tbs fanatic
04-08-2008, 01:42 PM
Oh that's great :D

Glennsallnighter
04-08-2008, 06:37 PM
Great video DF! I'd love to see Glenn :heart: really cut loose! 'Faster than a flu shot' indeed!
Fp I'm heading over to see those screen shots now!
Well done!

freyfantastic61
04-11-2008, 11:32 AM
:D Thanks DF that was good fun luv FF61

Brooke
04-11-2008, 01:53 PM
I finally went to Billboard to see how BBF was doing.

On the Hot Adult Contempoary chart it's at #15 which is the peak so far.

On the Hot Country chart it is at #29 and peaked at #28.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/esearch/chart_display.jsp?cfi=357&cfgn=Singles&cfn=Hot+Country+Songs&ci=3093043&cdi=9716764&cid=04%2F05%2F2008

sodascouts
04-13-2008, 04:24 PM
Thanks for the info, Brooke!

sodascouts
07-24-2008, 01:50 PM
Just heard this on the radio last night while out with a friend driving home from dinner. It was the first time I'd heard it on the radio, and I pulled a Seinfeld/Desperado as I told him "Shh, it's the Eagles' new song!" He humored me and stopped talking, lol, but then he said he liked it. :)

sodascouts
01-28-2010, 02:34 PM
Wow, as you can see on "This Day in Eagles History," this song was released as a single TWO YEARS ago. Can you believe it's been that long??

Brooke
01-28-2010, 02:39 PM
Good grief, unbelievable!

luvthelighthouse
01-28-2010, 08:08 PM
I still can't believe 1994 was SIXTEEN years ago!

Peekaboo
01-28-2010, 08:16 PM
Seems like it was just yesterday. I still really love that song and wish that they would put it back in the setlist.

Koala
01-29-2010, 02:30 AM
Busy Being Fabulous is one of my favorite songs from the LROOE album, I love it, since I heard it for the first time!
Busy Being Fabulous is the favorite song of my sister and she was very disappointed that the song was not played at the concert in Hamburg, I of course too!
I hope, should I ever again have the opportunity to see an Eagles concert that they play BBF!:pray:

Glennsallnighter
02-02-2010, 06:20 PM
They have BBF on the Madison Square Garden DVD Koala.

Koala
02-03-2010, 02:15 AM
They have BBF on the Madison Square Garden DVD Koala.

Than I must have the DVD!
Question: Where can I buy the DVD?

TimothyBFan
02-03-2010, 08:32 AM
Uh-Yeah. Where?

Freypower
02-03-2010, 06:28 PM
http://www.rockconcertdvd.net/shop/index.php?target=categories&category_id=243

The one to get is Madison Square, not Newark. I promise I'll do some screen shots of Madison Square soon.

Glennsallnighter
02-03-2010, 06:34 PM
I got it on eBay.

GlennLover
02-03-2010, 07:03 PM
Can anyone recommend any other Eagle DVDs worth ordering from this site? I have some of them but as an avid fan I want to get my hands on anything "Eagle" out there, unless the quality is very poor. I need an Eagle "fix" right about now, LOL. :band:

Freypower
02-03-2010, 10:53 PM
Christchurch and Houston. I have O2 Arena & Cincinnati but they are not filmed in closeup.

I have just finished doing MSG screenshots and I am exhausted but I can tell you you won't be disappointed when I start posting them.

GlennLover
02-03-2010, 11:51 PM
Christchurch and Houston. I have O2 Arena & Cincinnati but they are not filmed in closeup.

I have just finished doing MSG screenshots and I am exhausted but I can tell you you won't be disappointed when I start posting them.

Thanks, FP. I have both Christchurch & Houston which I watch a lot. Looking forward to your screenshots.

TimothyBFan
02-04-2010, 08:23 AM
GL-Do you have Peoria? That's a really good one also.

FP--Can't wait to see them!!! :blueblob: I will be ordering this one since I don't have it. I just checked to make sure.

Like I've said many many times--Christchurch is still my all time favorite!!

I haven't watched Houston in forever. Think I need a fix.

GlennLover
02-04-2010, 12:35 PM
Thanks, TBF. I don't have Peoria. Think that I will be ordering that & MSG very soon. I love Christchurch too. There`s something about Houston that keeps me going back to it even though it is very dark & the colour isn`t good. Maybe it`s the mustashioed guitar player with the long dark hair :nahnah:.

sodascouts
02-04-2010, 12:38 PM
If possible, let's trade with each other rather than buying the stuff of of Ebay.

Glennsallnighter
02-04-2010, 01:31 PM
Thats what I have been doing but I don't know how public you wanted to make this. Obviously Iam quite happy to do a copy for anybody who pm's me their address. I would LOVE Peoria. I have the others that have been mentioned here. I also think the HFO one from Buffalo is a good one to get.

sodascouts
02-04-2010, 01:56 PM
Thanks for your caution, GA, but I think there's no shame in trading if it keeps money out of the hands of those who would sell the material illegitimately.

TimothyBFan
02-04-2010, 02:33 PM
I would love to do it that way but I have no way to copy dvds. I would gladly reimburse anyone for dvd, postage and time tho. I'd rather not give $$ to the people that do it illegally. (Don would be proud of me!) :hilarious:

GlennLover
02-04-2010, 05:37 PM
Thats what I have been doing but I don't know how public you wanted to make this. Obviously Iam quite happy to do a copy for anybody who pm's me their address. I would LOVE Peoria. I have the others that have been mentioned here. I also think the HFO one from Buffalo is a good one to get.

I would go along with this. As I mentioned, I have Christchurch & Houston & would love any others that are available. I'm pretty sure that I know how to copy them, just not positive that Houston will copy.

Freypower
02-04-2010, 05:56 PM
I recommend East Rutherford too, because there is a shiny suit involved with it. :thumbsup: Mountain View from 1994 is good. So is Peoria, as people have said.

As I said about Wiseguy I am happy to copy stuff for people (although I have one more copy of Wiseguy to do first).

Glennsallnighter
02-04-2010, 06:51 PM
I would love to do it that way but I have no way to copy dvds. I would gladly reimburse anyone for dvd, postage and time tho. I'd rather not give $$ to the people that do it illegally. (Don would be proud of me!) :hilarious:

PM me with your address Willie if you like. As regards payment, I have a stack of DVDs that I bought a few years ago (After my first LROOE gig). I'm dying to use them up. So I don't need payment from anybody. Besides which a few others on the Border have done the occasional DVD for me too and havent accepted payment, so don't worry on that score.

However my list is getting a little long so bear with me. I'll get them to everybody eventually.

Glennsallnighter
02-07-2010, 10:30 AM
Ok I have 7 copies done (Its a 2-disc DVD set) and I'll get them out this week. I'm sorry, I'm not replying to all individual pm's. I want to keep them for the addresses and my in-box is nearly full. Hope you all like them!!

TimothyBFan
02-07-2010, 09:54 PM
Bless you Lisa!! :angel:You've been hard at work to give us an Eagles fix!! :hug: Thank You!!

sodascouts
02-07-2010, 09:55 PM
What a sweetheart you are, GA, especially considering you live overseas!

Koala
02-08-2010, 02:39 AM
Lisa,:hug: thank you that you have done the work! This is really very nice from you! http://smilies-smilies.de/smilies/schilderII_smilies/thenkju.gif I'm really looking forward to seeing the DVD!

Glennsallnighter
02-08-2010, 06:00 PM
Awww Thanks girls. :grouphug: The overseas thing is no big deal! I'm used to being surrounded by water. I'll get jewel cases and jiffy bags tomorrow and they should be on their way by the weekend.

Mrs Frey
02-15-2010, 07:01 AM
What a sweetheart you are, GA, especially considering you live overseas!

She is, isn't she, Soda? :nod: :nod: :nod:

Thank you, GA!!! :hug:

sodascouts
11-14-2012, 07:15 PM
The lyrics of this song seem to be one more ode to less-than-impressive girlfriends! The Eagles have several of those, lol.

TimothyBFan
11-15-2012, 11:18 AM
Yeah, this one is pretty self explanatory.

EaglesKiwi
11-16-2012, 05:46 AM
Love that verse:

A little time in the country
A day or two to slow down
A bottle of wine and a walk in the moonlight
Maybe some foolin' around

Yes please!!! What a lovely idea (although the video clip spoilt it!).

VAisForEagleLovers
05-21-2013, 09:08 PM
An interesting review of this song.

http://somethingelsereviews.com/2013/05/21/almost-hits-the-eagles-busy-being-fabulous-2008/

zeldabjr
05-21-2013, 09:13 PM
An interesting review of this song.

http://somethingelsereviews.com/2013/05/21/almost-hits-the-eagles-busy-being-fabulous-2008/

It's a hit to me!!!

Tiffanny Twisted
05-21-2013, 09:19 PM
Love that verse:

A little time in the country
A day or two to slow down
A bottle of wine and a walk in the moonlight
Maybe some foolin' around

Yes please!!! What a lovely idea (although the video clip spoilt it!).

Can i do that with hubba hubba gf please????:hilarious:

Prettymaid
05-21-2013, 09:35 PM
It's never been a favorite of mine, but after I watched them perform it on the 2008 CMA Awards, I liked it even less. Here's where we begin discussing the performance.

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1021&highlight=CMA+Awards&page=6

sodascouts
05-21-2013, 09:51 PM
I like the song but that was certainly a lackluster performance of it. What a waste of an opportunity to generate buzz.

TimothyBFan
05-22-2013, 08:03 AM
I so agree. I remember being almost angry about the fact that I had to sit through the whole show of COUNTRY MUSIC for that!! They looked as if they were not at all happy that night.

I'm with you PM-- not one of my faves of LROOE and that performance didn't change my mind at all.

Houston Debutante
05-22-2013, 02:20 PM
I think the song is great but this is not their best performance ~ everybody has an off night, too bad theirs had to be on national TV.

WalshFan88
05-22-2013, 02:23 PM
I like BBF, it's one of my only songs I like on LROOE. Most of LROOE was too off the beaten path for me. It's also one of my dad's favorite songs (although his favorite Eagles song is In The City).

sodascouts
01-28-2015, 01:10 AM
Just checking out "This Day in Eagles History" and noted that this single was released SEVEN YEARS AGO. Can you believe it?!

01-28-2015, 11:09 PM
It does seem unbelievable that it has been 7 years. As the old saying goes ... 'time flies when you're having fun'.

maryc2130
06-20-2015, 08:58 PM
When LROOE first came out, I could swear I read somewhere that this song is about George W. Bush. Until I read that, I thought the lyrics were kind of mediocre-ish, vaguely echoing Billy Joel's Big Shot, and possibly the Eagles' Victim of Love. But listening it to from the perspective of being about Bush makes me smile to myself; it seems very Don Henley -- sarcastic and somewhat angry.

Has anyone heard this before? When I Googled it recently, I couldn't find anything like this, although I did see one comment that it was about the state of the union.

Does anyone have any other ideas of what it's about? My other thought would be it's kind of about Don himself, or maybe the Eagles, or "life in the fast lane" again, or possibly all of us, that we all need to take time to smell the flowers and appreciate the little things in life, instead of being caught up in being fabulous and making a great impression on others. I really don't think it's about a woman in Don's life. Any ideas?

sodascouts
06-20-2015, 10:38 PM
I've never heard that theory. I've never thought of Bush as being very "fabulous." He traded on being down to earth and was often mocked for being too "folksy" - far from the glamorous socialite of the song. I took it at face value as being about a woman who put partying over relationships.

When it first came out, I think we had a thread for it. I'm gonna go digging!

ETA: Found it. I'm combining the threads... although in truth, the old thread didn't get into interpreting the lyrics. Perhaps we can do that now, all these years later!

maryc2130
06-20-2015, 10:53 PM
Thank you for putting it into the right thread, Soda. I'll enjoy reading through it.

If the song is about George W, I don't think it's about him being fabulous so much, as him thinking he's fabulous! (And spending more time thinking that than worrying about the country, or so the song would suggest.)

chaim
06-21-2015, 05:47 AM
Just watched the CMA thing for the first time. I don't quite get what's supposed to be wrong with it. Glenn looked intense as ever, Don was stony-faced as ever (and I say this with affection), Timothy had his usual, serious "I'm doing my thing as well as I can" look (again, said with affection) and Joe had his usual "I'm cool no matter what" thing going. I've never been a fan of this song, but this performance didn't bother me.

As for smiles, it would look weird to me if they were singing a lyric like this and smiling at the same time. Would look like they were just "the Eagles singing a song, because that's what the Eagles do well". They did smile at the end. Glenn's smile looked genuine to me.

Funk 50
06-21-2015, 06:09 AM
In the interview he gave to launch the LROOE album, Don says he didn't care much for Busy Being Fabulous but everybody was telling him it's a hit so it became their second single off the album. I didn't think it was a strong song, especially live, lack-lustre on the CMA awards show.

Jonny Come Lately
06-21-2015, 10:15 AM
I think Don's first instinct is generally correct when it comes to selecting singles. It seems obvious now that Hotel California was going to be a hit - but it was actually a very brave choice at the time. I'm sure I read a comment from Don Felder where he was surprised when Henley said that HC was going to be a single, at least partially due to its length. There is a certain irony in this - had, say, Try And Love Again or even VOL been released as a single instead, how would Felder have promoted his solo shows?

I quite like BBF, I really like some of the lyrics (I've mentioned this elsewhere but 'You think time is just a magazine' is a personal favourite of mine), the vocals are good and the guitar sounds right. However, I think it was the wrong choice of single, as there were better songs on the album which were more worthy of wider attention. I would say it's a solid song in most respects, but lacks that extra something or other that characterised nearly all of the singles released by the Eagles in 1970s, or superior LROOE tracks like How Long, WITW and the title track.

The song I'd have most liked to have been released as a single from LROOE was Somebody. I think it's a better and more exciting song than BBF and I think the only factor that would have prevented it from becoming a hit would have been poor promotion. Had BBF and Somebody both been released as singles back in the 1970s am I sure that Somebody would have been the more successful of the two. The only concern I could possible see would be that they wanted a Don song after releasing How Long (which was the correct first single IMO, yes it wasn't new, but it just sounded absolutely right), where Glenn dominates the vocals.

scottside
06-21-2015, 11:01 AM
I agree that "Somebody" is the better song. That one sounds like a hit to me. Too bad Glenn didn't write it. As for "Busy Being Fabulous." I always felt that it should've had more of a rock stagger as in like the Stones "Beast Of Burder," for example. It's too pop as it is and not enough edge.

AlreadyGone95
06-21-2015, 12:34 PM
I love the music video for BBF (Joe Walsh as a cop? Lmbo). However, the song doesn't do much for me. It's a nice and there's nothing bad about it, but it doesn't grab me and say "hey, stop what you're doing and listen to me". I agree that Somebody should've been a single instead of BBF. Somebody is one of my favorites on the album.

As for the CMA awards ceremony video, they look kind of bored, I huess. Maybe stiff is a better word. I don't thinkthat it was a lack luster performance, though.

maryc2130
06-21-2015, 01:18 PM
I think Don's first instinct is generally correct when it comes to selecting singles. It seems obvious now that Hotel California was going to be a hit - but it was actually a very brave choice at the time. I'm sure I read a comment from Don Felder where he was surprised when Henley said that HC was going to be a single, at least partially due to its length. There is a certain irony in this - had, say, Try And Love Again or even VOL been released as a single instead, how would Felder have promoted his solo shows?

I quite like BBF, I really like some of the lyrics (I've mentioned this elsewhere but 'You think time is just a magazine' is a personal favourite of mine), the vocals are good and the guitar sounds right. However, I think it was the wrong choice of single, as there were better songs on the album which were more worthy of wider attention. I would say it's a solid song in most respects, but lacks that extra something or other that characterised nearly all of the singles released by the Eagles in 1970s, or superior LROOE tracks like How Long, WITW and the title track.

The song I'd have most liked to have been released as a single from LROOE was Somebody. I think it's a better and more exciting song than BBF and I think the only factor that would have prevented it from becoming a hit would have been poor promotion. Had BBF and Somebody both been released as singles back in the 1970s am I sure that Somebody would have been the more successful of the two. The only concern I could possible see would be that they wanted a Don song after releasing How Long (which was the correct first single IMO, yes it wasn't new, but it just sounded absolutely right), where Glenn dominates the vocals.

I like Somebody, but I'm not sure if it would have done any better than BBF as a single. I always thought they should have reduced the length of LROOE or WITW and released one of them.

I would disagree that Glenn dominates the vocals on How Long. He does have the lead vocal, but not by much, IMHO.

You know, I love the album so much. I really wish they had done more with it (and sing more of it on current tour). I only saw one show of the LROOE tour, and I had only heard HL and BBF before the show. I wish I knew some of the others more at that time, or had gotten to see them a second time. I do feel fortunate that I got to see them open with How Long in Boston for the Walden Woods fundraiser. The acoustics were so great there, it felt like the harmony was coming from all around us. Awesome!

ETA: I, also, love the music video for BBF. Too funny!

L101
06-21-2015, 02:21 PM
I love BBF - I see it as an ironic look at a socialites life by the Eagles!! They probably all knew someone like her :hilarious:
As JCL said, it has one of the best lyrics in it - 'You think time is just a magazine' - that always makes me smile......Their humor can be quite dark sometimes and very funny - suits my humor anyway :grin:

I really love the video - it shows the lighter/fun side of the Eagles. I can see why Don didn't want to release this as a single, it is way to poppy for him but I think it works.
As for releasing Somebody as a single, I don't see that would have been any more successful than BBF - it sounds too much like a Glenn solo song (always reminds me of 'The heat is on'!!) than an Eagles song

sodascouts
06-21-2015, 02:52 PM
I don't think the performance was horrific; it just wasn't up to their usual standards in terms of energy levels.

I like the song. I think the phrase "Busy being fabulous" is clever and to this day, I'll use it to jokingly refer to something Stevie Nicks has done, ie, "She's too busy being fabulous to work on a new Fleetwood Mac album." It's the kind of phrase, like "Life in the Fast Lane", that can enter a lexicon.

"Somebody" rocks hard, but it's true it doesn't sound as "Eagle-y" as "Busy Being Fabulous." Plus, they didn't believe in "Somebody" enough to play it until the end of the tour; it was unceremoniously dropped from the setlist after a few months. It does engage the listener from the outset, though. I know it's my niece's favorite song; whenever I play the Eagles, she wants to hear what she calls "The Somebody Song" (she's very young).

Brooke
06-22-2015, 01:48 PM
I've always really liked BBF and the video too.

As far as Somebody, I don't really know if it would have done any better than BBF or not, although it's one of my favorite songs from LROOE. It does seem to be more of a Glenn song though, and reminds me a lot of I've Got Mine and All Those Lies.

bluefeather
06-23-2015, 11:58 AM
I quite like BFF and I think the music video is hilarious. It's a good performance as far as I'm concerned. The song has a solid point but might do well with a bit more edge. A more "stones" version might indeed be quite cool. The album version isn't so memorable to me.

Funk 50
06-23-2015, 03:21 PM
I think one of the problems with modern digital technology is that all recorded music sounds very generic.
In the 70s it was an achievement to have everybody in time and in tune, anything extra was a bonus. These days, machines get everybody in tune and in time. You can construct a song without ever actually performing it.

I remember hearing, towards the end of the recording phase, that Tim and Don were in the Studio, adding harmonies to I Love To Watch A Woman Dance, a song Felder mentioned in his book, so they were working on it many years earlier, to make it sound more like an Eagles tune.

There's a high percentage of tracks where I can't detect any Walsh at all. Busy Being Fabulous, I reckon he's deep in the mix playing superfluous guitar against, rather than complimenting, Steuart's lead. It makes the backing track sound messy to me, even before Don sings over it.

I think the whole album would've sounded, less like a bunch of solo tracks if they'd ditched all the extra musicians and played all the music themselves, compromising the sounds rather than the integrity. Maybe they thought that if they get the vocals right, the generic backing tracks, with a bit of token Walsh guitar, would be sufficient.

I'm not hot on Henley's falsetto but Fast Company has the best backing track on the album imho.

Jonny Come Lately
06-23-2015, 04:02 PM
Not with there at all - you criticise the music on the album for sounding too generic and that the Eagles themselves should have played more on it but then praise Fast Company as having the best backing track? Sorry, I can't agree with that. Had Fast Company been recorded in the 1970s I am almost certain that the horns (definitely not played by any of the Eagles) would have been played by Don F, Joe or both on guitar.

I personally don't have a problem with Steuart playing more guitar than Walsh on LROOE because I view him as Felder's replacement and therefore he is playing parts that probably would have gone to Don F had he remained in the band. It would have been different, clearly, as Steuart did originate some of the guitar parts he played, but the country rock guitar sound of the likes of BBF and How Long is inspired by Bernie Leadon's guitar parts, which then usually were played live by Felder after Bernie's departure (even in the 1970s Walsh rarely played lead on the more country flavoured songs in live performances).

The lack of credits on the album - while understandable - mean that it is extremely difficult to tell exactly who is playing, which in some cases is a shame (I'd love to know which tracks Glenn played bass on, for instance). Maybe there might be a few pleasant surprises?

Funk 50
06-24-2015, 05:38 AM
Had Fast Company been recorded in the 1970s I am almost certain that the horns (definitely not played by any of the Eagles) would have been played by Don F, Joe or both on guitar.

I agree with that but on LROOE, I still think all the guys contribute to the track, the horns are an embellishment.

I'm sure Glenn plays bass on one or two of his own tracks as he's done in his solo career. I'd be delighted to learn that Tim and Glenn swapped roles on a track or two but until the guys 'fess up to who played what on LROOE, it's just mostly guess work.

Jonny Come Lately
06-24-2015, 07:32 AM
I can definitely see where you're coming from about Fast Company now - thanks for clarifying that. It's not exactly a stretch to imagine Joe playing the main guitar parts on the song, they do remind me a little of LITFL (whose riffs were of course played and originated by Joe). It still isn't my favourite musical track on the album but I would agree that it is quite clean production-wise.

I think you are probably correct about where Glenn is playing bass. I haven't got the expertise to tell which songs Glenn would be most likely to be playing on. If is there is anyone with a good understanding of bass playing, are there any of Glenn's songs on the album where the bass playing seems a bit different from usual? If the style is recognisably different from usual I guess it could be because it's a different bassist (indicating that it's by Glenn and not Tim).

scottside
06-24-2015, 09:53 AM
I would guess that Glenn is playing bass on the tunes he initiated in his home studio. Perhaps not all of them, but at least on YANA and ILTWAWD.

sodascouts
06-24-2015, 08:39 PM
I daresay he played guitar on "I Dreamed There Was No War." He was certainly able to reproduce it live.

Funk 50
06-25-2015, 05:38 AM
Has Glenn performed I Dreamed There Was No More War live?

As a grammy winner, it should've been in the HOTE set list but I get the impression that Glenn is the only Eagle playing on it.

Tim's such an accomplished Bass player. He was very impressive playing in Ringo's All Starr Band in the 90s and all the Eagles solo stuff since HFO, really nailing the bass parts but I wouldn't call him distinctive.

I haven't paid much attention to Glenn's bass playing but I bet, uncomplicated and perfectly serving the song, would be an apt description.

Bassists don't get much chance to shine but I think Tim and Don make an excellent rhythm section, I love the King Of Hollywood (& Fast Company) groove.

I remember the first time I listened to Joe Walsh's County Fair and thinking, that's great bass playing, I wonder who the bassist is?
answer = Joe Walsh.

sodascouts
06-25-2015, 11:50 AM
He just played it live once that I know of, at a solo concert in Niagara Falls a few years ago. It was amazing!

Jonny Come Lately
06-25-2015, 04:25 PM
Tim's such an accomplished Bass player. He was very impressive playing in Ringo's All Starr Band in the 90s and all the Eagles solo stuff since HFO, really nailing the bass parts but I wouldn't call him distinctive.

I haven't paid much attention to Glenn's bass playing but I bet, uncomplicated and perfectly serving the song, would be an apt description.

Bassists don't get much chance to shine but I think Tim and Don make an excellent rhythm section, I love the King Of Hollywood (& Fast Company) groove.

I remember the first time I listened to Joe Walsh's County Fair and thinking, that's great bass playing, I wonder who the bassist is?
answer = Joe Walsh.

Joe playing bass on County Fair reminds me a little of Pink Floyd, where David Gilmour actually played bass on quite a few songs. David was a superior musician to Roger, and was the superior bassist of the two. On the Meddle track One Of These Days Roger and David both play bass and I found a video on Youtube which distinguished Roger and David's playing on the track, where it noted that David's bass playing showed noticeably more finesse than Roger's.

On the Animals album, David plays bass on both Sheep and Pigs (Three Different Ones), with the latter featuring some excellent bass soloing - Roger actually played rhythm guitar on these tracks, and on the Animals tour the bass parts on these songs were played by their live second guitarist Snowy White.

The fretless bass on The Wall's Hey You was also played by David. I seem to remember David was once interviewed and asked about who played bass on the track, and suggested that it was rather unlikely that Roger would be playing fretless bass.

Tim, of course, showed that he could play the fretless bass very well indeed on New York Minute for HFO. I agree he's an excellent bassist - he definitely made his presence felt on The Long Run album, I love the bass line on the title track and the rhythm section collectively shines on KOH and Those Shoes.

Funk 50
06-26-2015, 05:38 AM
It's kinda interesting when the guys swap instruments but not so good when outsiders are brought in.

Busy Being Fabulous is dominated by Don and Steuart. One of them hasn't appeared on any other Eagles album. I suppose I see Steuart as an outsider. So it's a diluted Eagles track imo.

I still feel the same about Eagles tracks, not sung by the original quartet, even though I became a fan in 1980. [

I]Pretty Maids All In A Row[/I] (gorgeous harmonies) and I Can't Tell You Why (great Frey guitar solo) are the honorable exceptions, where the level of dilution is small enough to leave the song pretty neat.

06-28-2015, 12:09 PM
He just played it live once that I know of, at a solo concert in Niagara Falls a few years ago. It was amazing!

Actually, he played I Dreamed There Was No War two consecutive nights in Niagara Falls. And it was indeed amazing - it almost brought me to tears and I don't cry easily.

sodascouts
06-28-2015, 01:44 PM
Oops. My memory sucks. :(

thelastresort
06-28-2015, 03:52 PM
It's kinda interesting when the guys swap instruments but not so good when outsiders are brought in.

Indeed, I love how back in the 70s you got the likes of Don Felder playing organ on The Long Run (since someone had to); Joe playing keyboard on New Kid in Town live *, presumably so Glenn could concentrate on the vocals; and Midnight Flyer where for the OOTN tour you had Joe playing the country-like fast, flat acoustic guitar which I've never seen him do before or since. Nowadays it's debatable whether or not their drummer even play drums or their lead guitarist ever plays guitar on some of their material!

* - I'm aware he also did it in the studio recording

Freypower
06-28-2015, 09:13 PM
Indeed, I love how back in the 70s you got the likes of Don Felder playing organ on The Long Run (since someone had to); Joe playing keyboard on New Kid in Town live *, presumably so Glenn could concentrate on the vocals; and Midnight Flyer where for the OOTN tour you had Joe playing the country-like fast, flat acoustic guitar which I've never seen him do before or since. Nowadays it's debatable whether or not their drummer even play drums or their lead guitarist ever plays guitar on some of their material!

* - I'm aware he also did it in the studio recording

Yes. I thought Glenn played acoustic guitar on the studio version of NKIT, not keyboards.

thelastresort
06-28-2015, 09:54 PM
Yes. I thought Glenn played acoustic guitar on the studio version of NKIT, not keyboards.

I should clarify, I did mean Joe played keyboards on the studio version and Glenn rhythm guitar, as happened live back in the Seventies. Apologies for any confusion!

Funk 50
06-29-2015, 05:04 PM
Actually, he played I Dreamed There Was No War two consecutive nights in Niagara Falls. And it was indeed amazing - it almost brought me to tears and I don't cry easily.

I reckon it's pretty difficult to make such a short instrumental, significant. Did Glenn introduce it? Was it longer than on the record? What did he play before and after it? He didn't have an orchestral accompaniment did he?

thelastresort
06-29-2015, 05:22 PM
I reckon it's pretty difficult to make such a short instrumental, significant. Did Glenn introduce it? Was it longer than on the record? What did he play before and after it? He didn't have an orchestral accompaniment did he?

Oddly enough there's a longer, slightly altered version of IDTWNW on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3ViFMC3cB8

I'm guessing it's just someone's own take on it, but I wonder if there was ever any intention to make it longer on the album or similar.

Freypower
06-29-2015, 06:23 PM

This is the topic about those shows:

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=372

He moved from that to talking more about the new album, specifically Don’s song Long Road Out of Eden. He said it was about ten minutes long and very “ponderous.” He stated that it “covered everything from Julius Caesar to Bush – I’m not joking – Don has really outdone himself this time” and that he wanted to write a short instrumental to “allow the mind to rest afterwards.” That, of course, was I Dreamed There Was No War. He played it on a gold guitar that I don’t remember seeing before (but then again I have a bad memory for such things). He pretty much played it all by himself, with very subtle backing. It was so gorgeous, and his face was very expressive as he played it. It was obviously not just another instrumental track to him; he really was “talking” through the guitar. We loved it.

It doesn't sound like it was longer from this description.

06-29-2015, 09:55 PM
Thanks for doing that research for me, FP. Glenn played the song at the same length as the recorded version. I feel very lucky to have been there those two nights to experience it.

Funk 50
06-30-2015, 05:25 AM
Many thanks Freypower.

I think Glenn's You Are Not Alone is a little short but I Dreamed There Was No War is perfectly formed.

Almost back on topic, I think I'd have liked Busy Being Fabulous a lot more if it was about 3 1/2 rather than 4 1/2 minutes long.

Freypower
06-30-2015, 07:06 PM
This is off topic as well but I think Glenn should be given some credit for playing three of his LROOE songs live, although he never played them with the band. I was lucky enough to see YANA at Niagara Falls in 2011.

(F50 you can call me FP becaue everyone else does).

thelastresort
06-30-2015, 07:09 PM
This is off topic as well but I think Glenn should be given some credit for playing three of his LROOE songs live, although he never played them with the band. I was lucky enough to see YANA at Niagara Falls in 2011.

(F50 you can call me FP becaue everyone else does).

I would love to see YANA live, such a beautiful and comforting track. Out of interest what was the third song? I would say NMCD but wasn't that played with the rest of the Eagles on F1, or was that just a special for the DVD?

thelastresort
06-30-2015, 07:11 PM
Ah - was it ILTWAWD? That would make sense...

Freypower
06-30-2015, 07:12 PM
I would love to see YANA live, such a beautiful and comforting track. Out of interest what was the third song? I would say NMCD but wasn't that played with the rest of the Eagles on F1, or was that just a special for the DVD?

He he... it was ILTWAWD which was played on the Prelude to Obscurity tour & is listed in the topic I linked to on the previous page. I would have killed to see him do that. But I didn't. He did NMCD on that tour as well; he didn't do it in 2011.

thelastresort
06-30-2015, 07:20 PM
He he... it was ILTWAWD which was played on the Prelude to Obscurity tour & is listed in the topic I linked to on the previous page. I would have killed to see him do that. But I didn't. He did NMCD on that tour as well; he didn't do it in 2011.

:blush: So it is! I have to say that's a cracking setlist, every song I would want to hear Glenn do live is in there!

Funk 50
07-01-2015, 05:50 AM

(F50 you can call me FP because everyone else does).

Thanks FP. It'll be interesting to see what Glenn gets up to when the Eagles disband in July. It's great that he performed his LROOE tracks but it was only once or twice.

I wonder what LROOE songs Don will play later this year. Having a pedal steel player on the pay roll, I immediately thought of The Last Resort, Best Of My Love and even possibly Do Something which Tim sang on the record. It'd be nice to see him do some LROOE tracks but I think BBF is unlikely.

Brooke
07-01-2015, 02:55 PM
I wish he would do something from LROOE, but I really doubt it since he hasn't done any on the HotE tour. It would be too much to handle if he actually did. I know a few from here that would flock to a show for sure! :sigh:

Funk 50
07-02-2015, 11:59 AM
I don't know Don at all but he may feel that there is a need to make up for the blanking of the Long Road Out Of Eden album during The History Of The Eagles tour, I certainly do!