PDA

View Full Version : W/ Foo Fighters, The Roxy, LA, 11/14/2014

VAisForEagleLovers
11-16-2014, 04:03 PM
Sorry, all, I saw this on Joe's Facebook page yesterday and wasn't somewhere where I could post. Here's an article from UCR on it.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/joe-walsh-foo-fighters-outside/?utm_source=sailthru&utm_medium=referral

Says Joe:

“It was really a hoot to go to Rancho De La Luna and record with everyone playing at the same time,” Walsh added. “I had almost forgotten how, and it’s just the basic way we used to do it. You just went for the best take. You didn’t fix everything on it.”

Well, Joe, all I can say to that is that the Foo Fighters aren't held to the same standard the Eagles are with critics and fans alike. Maybe I'm all wet with that one, but until I joined this message board, I never knew a single person who owned anything put out by the Foo Fighters, and I'm positive I've never heard one of their songs.

shunlvswx
11-16-2014, 04:26 PM
I can't think of a song they recorded. I've heard of Foo Fighters for years, but I don't know their songs. All I know the lead singer use to be the drummer for Nirvana which I didn't know until last year.

sodascouts
11-16-2014, 05:15 PM
Well, I'm someone who appreciates and owns music by the Foo Fighters, so I think your comment is a bit harsh, VA! I'm glad that Joe had a good time playing with them.

If you want to give them a try, three of my favorites are The Pretender (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBjQ9tuuTJQ), Learn to Fly (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VQ_3sBZEm0&list=TLfdUlQcfZ_7whttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VQ_3sBZEm0&list=TLfdUlQcfZ_7w) (song starts about 30 secs into the video), and Big Me (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLdJQFTnZfA&list=TLfdUlQcfZ_7w&index=12). The latter two were fairly common on the radio in the nineties.

I think I'm going to add Sonic Highways to my CD collection as well.

Their leader Dave Grohl is awesome, and has done work with with Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham as well as Joe. His taste is impeccable. ;)

VAisForEagleLovers
11-16-2014, 07:28 PM
To be honest, Soda, it was you I was thinking of when I said I didn't know anyone until I joined this board. You have to remember, Nirvana wasn't even a band yet when I stopped listening to the Rock stations, and the late 80's, 90's, and early 00's were my country phase.

Thanks for the recommendations, though, because I have been curious, but wasn't certain what would be good songs to start out with. I hesitate to mention that I'm not sure I know any Nirvana songs, either.

ETA: I should mention that I'm glad Joe had a good time playing with them, too. I love it that he's out doing these kinds of things and enjoying it.

Tiffanny Twisted
11-16-2014, 07:45 PM
Well heresmy two cents worth

I do love dave groh !!!!
He has worked with so many people. He is a v
ery talented man
I love the dvd about the recording studio where he worked with stevie nicks and paul mccartney . I purchased the dvd
Excelent I reccommend it

I can not wail till this is on dvd so I can purchase it too .
We dont get hbo
I love joes quote about hotel calil

I purchssed the song h
Joe sang and played on

Midnight Visitor
11-16-2014, 10:48 PM
I too could not name one song by the Foo Fighters other then the one Joe plays on. I hated Nirvana. However, I've seen Dave Grohl on a few things and enjoy him very much. He seems to appreciate the music we were raised on. The truth is, it doesn't matter whether any of us has ever heard their music or not. They are a hugely successful band. Number 2 album in the country this week. Pink Floyd being number one. They have an enormous fan base. Whoever teamed Joe up with them, congratulations! His twitter feed has been absolutely burning up for days now. I see new young fans posting about Joe daily. It makes Joe current in a way that few rockers his age are.

shunlvswx
11-17-2014, 12:07 AM
I do love seeing Joe with younger artist. That shows right there he's appreciated. IMO Finally after years of people calling him a drunk, look stone, or whatever they called Joe before he became sober. It's about time he's appreciated for his amazing guitar playing. He's a legend.

MaryCalifornia
11-17-2014, 02:52 AM
I just watched the Foo Fighters Sonic Highways - Los Angeles, I enjoyed it more than last week's Chicago, mainly because so much of it was so familiar to me, growing up here. I don't want to spoil anything, so just a couple of teasers:

- If you like HOTE and the Eagles, you will like it, it is very reminiscent of parts of HOTE and Eagles are featured several times
- Couple of pics of TBS, sweeeet!!!
- The desert/Joshua Tree is heavily featured
- Oddly enough, Josh Homme of Queens of the Stone Age is heavily featured - I've always been intrigued by him since I saw him on Saturday Night Live years ago, and you know how most rock guitarists are about 5'9" tall? He's very tall, very big, and just looks so different on stage - anyway, he's in it.
- Joe comes off like A GOD!! It is unbelievably fantastic - MV will die. The guys' in Foo Fighters reactions to how he handles his solo is just...you have to see it. He is in the video in the desert, and OMG...no words. It's fantastic.

Oh yeah, the first song in the show is HC.

MaryCalifornia
11-17-2014, 03:04 AM
Sorry, all, I saw this on Joe's Facebook page yesterday and wasn't somewhere where I could post. Here's an article from UCR on it.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/joe-walsh-foo-fighters-outside/?utm_source=sailthru&utm_medium=referral

Says Joe:

Well, Joe, all I can say to that is that the Foo Fighters aren't held to the same standard the Eagles are with critics and fans alike. Maybe I'm all wet with that one, but until I joined this message board, I never knew a single person who owned anything put out by the Foo Fighters, and I'm positive I've never heard one of their songs.

VA, the Foo Fighters have had tremendous popular and critical success over almost 20 years. I don't know about standards, but they have been doing something right. Dave Grohl is an interesting person and is interested in everything - he pushes them beyond just being a successful rock band. They have recorded in every type of environment, lots of different types of music, lots of collaborations. I have no reason to think they don't hold themselves to some standards, they are professionals. They take themselves seriously, but not so seriously that their music becomes precious or they won't try new, wonderful things, like this documentary series and the other documentary that Soda and TT mentioned. Having been in Nirvana, I think he doesn't feel like he needs to impress anyone, so he has a sort of freedom. And, having said that, I don't like all of their music, but some of it I like very much, especially Learn to Fly and both versions of Everlong .

Funk 50
11-17-2014, 07:06 AM
The Nirvana, Foo Fighters, grunge scene is really not my cup of tea but it's great to hear that Grohl told Joe that Nirvana were just a shitty James Gang and that the Foo Fighters are such fans.

They've recorded a faithful cover of Joe's, Life Of Illusion. It must be on YouTube somewhere.

I wish the other Eagles would mix with more current musicians, like they did in the 70s. They seem so unpleasantly aloof now.

The Foo Fighter's documenty series is available to watch on the BBC iPlayer. Joe's featured in 5 Los Angeles and he's magical:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/group/p029j2pv

Midnight Visitor
11-17-2014, 12:41 PM
Thank you for your review Mary. I'm really looking forward to seeing it.

Unfortunately Funk50, we in the USA can not view BBC's programming. Wish I could as you guys OFTEN have stuff I'd like to see. Thanks for pointing it out tho!

Funk 50
11-17-2014, 09:03 PM
Sad that you can't view the program MV. It's not being broadcast on the TV channel, it's only available on the website so I thought I must give it a shout.

My favourite moment was when one of the FF's asked Joe for a bit of County Fair and Joe strummed the opening chords.

It could be just enough encouragement for him to play the whole song at his next concert. As far as I know he's never performed County Fair live although Joe Walsh set lists are very hard to find, especially from the last century.

As un-attracted to the Foo Fighters as I am, I feel they really brought out the best in Joe. I love everything Joe does but the time he rises highest is when he rocks.

Midnight Visitor
11-18-2014, 11:56 AM
Actually I did get to see it yesterday. I'm so happy they give Joe the respect he deserves. The drummer is so adorable!! Absolutely dying over Joe. That would be me. Joe looks so happy when they're all freaking out after his solo. Did you notice the drummer calls the song Country Fair instead of County? Cracked me up as I've done the same thing. I think you're correct. I have several Joe bootlegs and I don't recall County Fair being on any of them. What a magical song! The first time I heard the song Outside I knew that they were attempting that feel. Joe brings it but a Foo Fighters song could never have the real brilliance of Walsh, Vitale & Bill S. all working together as they did. Thanks for the heads up about the BBC having that program. :thumbsup:

Topkat
11-18-2014, 03:04 PM
Dave Grohl is a bad ass guitar player himself. I believe he played with Joe & Paul McCartney on one of the Award shows. I can't watch anything now (at work) but:bow: I will look for them on YouTube. I'm sure Joe & Dave were great together

shunlvswx
11-18-2014, 03:42 PM
The first time I've ever seen Joe and Dave together was when they played together on While My Guitar Gently Weeps from the Beatles special this past February. Dave is not bad on the drums. I didn't know he was a drummer. I guess this is before I found out he use to be in Nirvana. I just knew him from playing the guitar.

Funk 50
12-02-2014, 07:23 AM
My favourite moment was when one of the FF's asked Joe for a bit of County Fair and Joe strummed the opening chords.

It could be just enough encouragement for him to play the whole song at his next concert. As far as I know he's never performed County Fair live.

He Done It! :smitten:

Since it's just reached it's 40th birthday. Joe should now play the whole So What album!

I hope something shows up on YouTube, although I really don't approve of that type of thing :lie:

sodascouts
12-03-2014, 01:01 AM
lol. I was thinking the same thing!