PDA

View Full Version : Eagles: Between Heaven & Hell

DonFan
09-25-2007, 11:06 PM
I'll admit that I was pretty curious about what Don Felder had written about his life as a Eagle. I realize that his take on the story would be entirely biased; however, I was going to buy his book when it came out next week. Not any more.
------------------------------------------------------------------

From Entertainment Weekly online, 9-25-07:
Hyperion Spikes Don Felder Memoir (http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20058578,00.html)

SweetHolly
09-25-2007, 11:58 PM
I'm disappointed too that it's not going to be released.

Freypower
09-26-2007, 12:23 AM
Well, well. While this does not surprise me, I hope amazon.co.uk tells me the thing has been pulled. I somehow knew the Dynamic Duo + 1 would never allow this to be published.

Felder and his obsession with 'intra-band squabbling' and his view of himself as the innocent victim sitting quietly on the sidelines has never washed with me. I would rather believe Glenn's HOF 'peaks and valleys' speech. As for the 'unjust share of the profits' it has been pointed out on numerous occasions that Felder agreed to what was decided.

JoeFan
09-26-2007, 03:28 AM
Pity, that. I wanted to read it. Perhaps it will be published elsewhere.

Sexy Girl
09-26-2007, 06:18 AM
I had planned to read that book and was looking forward to the release - it never hurts to perceive other people's opinions :wink:

So I'm disappointed it was cancelled :? and I really wonder what (or who?) caused this cancellation.

Mrs Frey
09-26-2007, 06:34 AM
Well, well. While this does not surprise me, I hope amazon.co.uk tells me the thing has been pulled. I somehow knew the Dynamic Duo + 1 would never allow this to be published.

Felder and his obsession with 'intra-band squabbling' and his view of himself as the innocent victim sitting quietly on the sidelines has never washed with me. I would rather believe Glenn's HOF 'peaks and valleys' speech. As for the 'unjust share of the profits' it has been pointed out on numerous occasions that Felder agreed to what was decided.

Well, I didn't even know about the book :roll: , but in my humble opinion, The Eagles, both past and present, have respected each other enough not to disclose much about their personal dealings (from what I have gathered up until now), and it's just fair that Don Felder does the same. No doubt he would have taken a couple of swings at Glenn :heart: and Don, and how many of us Eagles fans would really have been pleased to read that? There are enough biographers out there who do the mud-slinging job well enough :evil: without ex-Eagles also getting in on the act. What's done is done - life is too short to be bitter about the past. It's been 7 years since Don was fired, after all. To quote Don Henley's "Heart of the Matter":

There are people in your life who've come and gone
They let you down
You know they hurt your pride
You better put it all behind you, baby
'Cause life goes on
You keep carrying that anger
It will eat you up inside, baby

Now that I've got that off my chest: FP, can you elaborate on Glenn's :heart: HOF "peaks and valleys" speech, please? I'd like to know what it was about (what does HOF stand for?).

DonFan
09-26-2007, 09:24 AM
What I want to know: how did the book get so far—written, edited, even published—before they managed to pull the plug ONE WEEK before it was due in stores?

I'm sure they were fighting it all along, but I thought this issue was addressed when they finally reached the settlement with Felder. And now to have this happen in the 11th hour is a bit surprising.

I agree with the EW writer that the timing--precisely when the Eagles are debuting their new album to considerable fanfare--could not be worse. They don't want to focus on the negative image that Felder most surely portrays in his book right NOW, with their new single climbing the charts. Maybe what they have managed to do is stall the book for awhile, and then it will eventually be published at a later date.

Molly
09-26-2007, 06:37 PM
I agree with the EW writer that the timing--precisely when the Eagles are debuting their new album to considerable fanfare--could not be worse. They don't want to focus on the negative image that Felder most surely portrays in his book right NOW, with their new single climbing the charts. Maybe what they have managed to do is stall the book for awhile, and then it will eventually be published at a later date.

This is exactly what crossed my mind when I read about the cancellation. The timing for Felder with the release of both the book and album couldn't have been better. Nor, could it have been worse for the band. Unless you are to believe that no publicity is bad publicity.

I couldn't imagine Don and Glenn sitting in an interview answering any general Don Felder questions, much less the types of questions and subject matter this book would certainly bring up.

Freypower
09-26-2007, 07:36 PM
MF, when the band were inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 1998 Glenn gave what I call his 'leadership speech'. He was last to speak. Part of what he said is quoted in Marc Eliot's To The Limit, which to put it mildly is not pro-Frey, but in this instance is fair:

'A lot has been made & a lot has been speculated about the last 27 years about whether or not we got along. We got along fine! We just disagreed a lot! Tell me one worthwhile relationship that has not had peaks and valleys....you cannot play music with people for very long if you don't genuinely like them. I guarantee you that over the 9 years the Eagles were together during the 70s, over the 3 years we were together during our reunion, the best of times rank in the 95%, the worst of times rank in the smallest percentile that obviously everybody but the seven of us has dwelled on for the longest time. Get over it'!

Well, he would say that, wouldn't he? It's his job to be positive in a public situation like this. Contrast Don Felder's interviews which always seemed to be about all the fighting and the 'pressure cooker' stuff.

I agree that the timing of this is very interesting given that the book was literally on the verge of release. I don't think it will ever be published. I hope for his own sake that Don Felder can indeed put it all behind him.

Glennsallnighter
09-26-2007, 08:00 PM
I've read that book too and Glenn :heart: 's speech from the HOF awards. I totally agree on both points. The book is not at all pro Glenn :heart: . In fact and it angers me I feel it is quite anti Glenn :heart: in some parts and places too much emphasis on Don's role in the band (Don H that is). Of course Don was and is important as a founding member, but it was originally Glenn :heart: who started the band in the first place. Agreed Glenn :heart: was probably looking back with slightly rose tinted glasses and I'm sure there was plenty of bickering within the band, but it would have been impossible for the band members to get on 24/7/365. Any group of adults in that kind of situation, particularly with the lifestyle they led around the band commitments would have had at least a few shake ups. But they would not have survived if they had not had good times as well. And most people looking back over an experience tend to remember the better times. Felder is obviously bitter about being fired which is probably why he is more aware of the 'not so good' times and the 'pressure cooker situations'

Freypower
09-26-2007, 11:51 PM
But everything Felder ever said about the band was before he was fired. All his negative comments about the fighting and how everyone wanted their own songs on The Long Run but it ended up with 'six Don Henley songs' were all stated in interviews before he was fired. Then there was the sarcastic comment about Joe's brick suit at the Hall of Fame ('nice outfit') and the way before the Millennium shows he thought perhaps he should ingratitate himself with Glenn and Don, and praised their songwriting skills. They sat there looking as if they didn't believe a word he said.

I suppose we shouldn't jump to any conclusions as yet. I've had no word from amazon.uk that my order has been cancelled.

sodascouts
09-27-2007, 01:06 AM
I think it's possible that the book will still be released overseas, even if it's through a different publisher or an overseas branch of Hyperion. That's what happened when Carol Ann Harris wanted to publish her tell-all about Fleetwood Mac; it was stalled in America, but released through a UK publishing house.

As far as Felder goes, I don't believe he was ever satisfied with his role within the Eagles. I think he felt continuously undervalued and unappreciated. The fact that he was only allowed one lead vocal on an album (his first with the band) and was never allowed a lead vocal in concert couldn't have pleased him. Neither did the fact that he earned less. I'm sure he felt that each time Glenn and Don H. reduced his percentage - as they apparently wanted to do in 1999 - that he felt they were abusing their power and being unfair.

It is only natural that he would paint himself as the victim in such a situation, but that doesn't mean we as the fans should just accept that as fact. Indeed, I think few who read Felder's account would assume everything was 100& accurate. I'm not saying Felder would intentionally lie; it's just his take on situations, his perceptions, would be so colored by his resentments that they would come out distorted. Still, I admit I did want to read what his perceptions were, even if I largely dismissed them.

Freypower
09-27-2007, 01:57 AM
He didn't get lead vocals for the simple reason that he wasn't a good enough singer. We have a band with two of the best singers on the planet, one of whom was doing fewer and fewer leads as the years went by. If he (Glenn) wasn't singing many leads himself he was hardly going to give Felder any.

The money issue is different. He originally agreed to his reduced percentage. From what I understand he kept demanding more money but didn't want to do the same amount of recording and/or touring that the other band members did.

I honestly don't want to put the guy down because he has been through enough. I share everyone else's interest in knowing what his perceptions were even if I think he was wrong. I am especially disappointed, if it is cancelled, that I won't get to read about 'the famous final scene' - the last time he was in a room with Glenn and/or Don.

glenneaglesfan
09-27-2007, 05:48 AM
I'll be disappointed if it never gets published. To date it's still showing on Amazon, but awaiting despatch from the publisher. It would just be interesting to read about life in the band from someone right in there, even if the account is coloured by subsequent events. The title suggests there must have been good times as well as bad.

Thanks for reminding us of Glenn's HOF speech, Fp.

Maleah
09-27-2007, 09:30 AM
Yesterday Walmart.com still had a release date, but it was for November something

Brooke
09-27-2007, 11:33 AM
I'd like to read it, but would tend not to believe everything. I'm sure his discontentment over the years will color his perspective. So, yeah, I'm disappointed that it won't be released, too.

But still, if it is released overseas, it will eventually make it over here. I would think Glenn and Don would try to stop ANY releases! :?

EasyFeeling
09-27-2007, 02:24 PM
I looked for it on the German website from where I ordered the new CD. It's still listed. :?

Ive always been a dreamer
09-27-2007, 05:25 PM
Hmmm - maybe it will still be available internationally. Perhaps there is nothing that Don and Glenn can legally do to stop distribution outside of the U.S. I sure would like to read it, too, even though, like many of you, I feel that Felder's view may be somewhat tainted. However, I think that is probably often the case with the author's of "tell all" books. Everyone has an agenda.

DonFan
09-27-2007, 11:33 PM
TheDay.com, an online newspaper from Connecticut, wrote an op-ed piece about the banning of Felder's book, and the writer said in part:
-------------------------------------

What we care about is that, given the Eagles’ collective reputation for partying in a fashion that would put Motley Crue and Poison to shame, we coulda had some seriously juicy stuff to chew on … if that book would come out.

So, yes, I’m sad.

Here’s the thing, though. Speculation out in SoCal, on industry Web sites, is that the Eagles aren’t concerned about descriptions of debauchery, particularly. Instead, maybe what they don’t want is to have all the band’s nasty financial dirty laundry aired.

Leave it to really rich people to worry about that.

SweetHolly
09-28-2007, 12:22 AM
Interesting. Thanks for sharing Dana.

JoeFan
09-28-2007, 02:17 AM
If that's the reason, they're getting their knickers in a knot over nothing. I think most Eagles fans don't really care very much about all that financial rubbish. We just want to read about what it was like to be an Eagle.

Mrs Frey
09-28-2007, 07:15 AM
MF, when the band were inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 1998 Glenn gave what I call his 'leadership speech'. He was last to speak. Part of what he said is quoted in Marc Eliot's To The Limit, which to put it mildly is not pro-Frey, but in this instance is fair:

'A lot has been made & a lot has been speculated about the last 27 years about whether or not we got along. We got along fine! We just disagreed a lot! Tell me one worthwhile relationship that has not had peaks and valleys....you cannot play music with people for very long if you don't genuinely like them. I guarantee you that over the 9 years the Eagles were together during the 70s, over the 3 years we were together during our reunion, the best of times rank in the 95%, the worst of times rank in the smallest percentile that obviously everybody but the seven of us has dwelled on for the longest time. Get over it'!

Well, he would say that, wouldn't he? It's his job to be positive in a public situation like this. Contrast Don Felder's interviews which always seemed to be about all the fighting and the 'pressure cooker' stuff.

I agree that the timing of this is very interesting given that the book was literally on the verge of release. I don't think it will ever be published. I hope for his own sake that Don Felder can indeed put it all behind him.

FP, thanks for this elaboration. Yes, I did read this in "To The Limit" - I just didn't click because I didn't know what HOF stood for :blush:. I thought his speech was really in good taste and diplomatic, and once again, if Glenn :heart: was generous enough to make a speech like that, surely Don Felder can let sleeping dogs lie.

DonFan
09-28-2007, 09:26 AM
If that's the reason, they're getting their knickers in a knot over nothing. I think most Eagles fans don't really care very much about all that financial rubbish. We just want to read about what it was like to be an Eagle.

I agree, JF.

Freypower
09-30-2007, 12:06 AM
I agree with that too, but Don and Glenn have every right to keep their financial details private if they wish. They run a private business, not a public company.

DonFan
10-03-2007, 09:40 AM
Looks like Don, Glenn and Irving lost the fight. From today's New York Post:

Spiked Eagles Tale Set to Fly (http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/item_EuDLzcNrC2BjWpN1D078AM)

Brooke
10-03-2007, 11:31 AM
:shock: Hmmmm. Quite interesting!

Thanks, DF!

sodascouts
10-03-2007, 02:05 PM
Ah, so he goes the Carol Ann Harris route after all! Those wild and crazy Brits will publish anything. ;)

Thanks for the info, DF!

Glennsallnighter
10-03-2007, 05:44 PM
Thanks for that DF! If its available in the UK that means it'll probably be available over here too. I don't really care about the financial issues but I'd like an insight into the band's lifestyle. Felder was not an original Eagle and I'm sure he did very well out of the band overall.

Freypower
10-04-2007, 12:45 AM
The thing is... if all it is going to be is him whining that he didn't get all the money that Glenn & Don so cruelly withheld from him, I'm not sure that I really want to read it.

glenneaglesfan
10-04-2007, 04:08 AM
Thanks for that article, DF. I'm not sure the editor knows which Eagle is which! :wink:

10-04-2007, 10:12 PM
Well - I'm one of those who wants to read the book with full knowledge that the story is being presented from only one biased view point. Hopefully, it will be an interesting read, and we will actually get some information that we don't already know. As far as the tales of sex, drugs, and rock 'n' roll, I mean, c'mon, we already know these guys were the poster boys for bad behavior back in the day. I doubt that there will be many surprises.

The Bomber
10-13-2007, 01:02 PM
I bet it shows up in US bookstores eventually, I'll grab it then. I can never get enough of sex, drugs, and rocknroll.

Brooke
10-13-2007, 02:30 PM
I bet it shows up in US bookstores eventually, I'll grab it then. I can never get enough of sex, drugs, and rocknroll.

:rofl: You are too funny Bomber!

SweetHolly
10-17-2007, 09:15 PM
LOL Bomber. :lol:

I'm the same way. I can never get enough of sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll either. 8) :wink:

eagleshenleyfan
11-17-2007, 08:50 PM
Me too LOL
As I live in the UK i'll be able to buy this. I'll probably ask for it as a Christmas present. :wink:

11-18-2007, 11:14 PM
Well - we've been so immersed lately with the new album that the discussion about Felder's book has kind of taken a back burner. There is another thread in the Former Eagles forum where we started some discussion, but I actually never got around to making any comments. Maybe I'll get around to that later. For now, I'll just say that I did read the book, and while it did keep my interest, I was rather disappointed about several things. First of all, it provided almost no new information that us hardcare fans didn't already know about. Also, since the name of the book included heaven and hell, I honestly thought we would get some more insight into the "heavenly" part of being an Eagle. It seemed to me that Felder's agenda was to dwell on the negative, especially how abused he felt he was treated by "the Gods". I couldn't understand if he was so miserable, why didn't he just quit instead of calling and begging Glenn not to fire him. :shock:

Glennsallnighter
11-19-2007, 05:45 AM
Me too LOL
As I live in the UK i'll be able to buy this. I'll probably ask for it as a Christmas present. :wink:

I must check out some of the bigger stores in Ireland. I haven't seen it in my local Borders which is very big. But I could easily ask for it as a Christmas present also. My brother likes to do as much of his shopping as possible on the internet! :wink:

Freypower
11-19-2007, 06:56 PM
I don't understand the 'begging' part either except that it's rather telling that at first he demanded to speak to Don, not Glenn. It apparently didn't actually dawn on him that Glenn was the leader of the band until that conversation. His protestations that he'd loved every minute of it and that they were his 'family' are hard to stomach when you read what he says about them.

Maleah
11-19-2007, 07:20 PM
I don't understand the 'begging' part either except that it's rather telling that at first he demanded to speak to Don, not Glenn. It apparently didn't actually dawn on him that Glenn was the leader of the band until that conversation.

Or maybe he thought that if he talked to Don first and brought him around.......then Don could talk to Glenn on his behalf. who knows

Freypower
11-20-2007, 10:27 PM
If that was the case, I believe the term Wishful Thinking is applicable.

sodascouts
11-21-2007, 12:33 AM
I don't understand the 'begging' part either except that it's rather telling that at first he demanded to speak to Don, not Glenn. It apparently didn't actually dawn on him that Glenn was the leader of the band until that conversation.

Or maybe he thought that if he talked to Don first and brought him around.......then Don could talk to Glenn on his behalf. who knows

That's what I always assumed.

Maleah
11-21-2007, 12:38 AM
If that was the case, I believe the term Wishful Thinking is applicable.
That he could bring Don around, Don would go to Glenn, or Don would be able to change Glenn's mind?

Freypower
11-21-2007, 09:26 PM
I think Felder thought that perhaps he could bring Don around. That's the most positive spin I can put on it.

I think it's possible that Don MAY THEN have tried to intercede with Glenn if he had felt any sympathy for Felder. But what I think is that Glenn made the decision to fire Felder, told Don, and Don as the co-owner of the company did not disagree with him.

Though Felder is much kinder to Don in the book I am sure that Don shared Glenn's irritation with Felder about how Felder appeared to be preventing the band from making any progress. I don't think there was the same degree of personal dislike but I really doubt that Don was sorry to see Felder go. In fact, in the Q article from 2001 ('Henley Regatta') he referred to something like 'dissent' which had gone on for years and he could have gone on about it if it hadn't been for the legal proceedings.