PDA

View Full Version : Joe Walsh At The Paramount December 2014

Funk 50
12-05-2014, 06:26 AM
Thanks to mrputerz, there is some video of Joe performing in New York this week.

Here's Rocky Mountain Way from Thursday's show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK5QI5m-ut0

He also has Rocky Mountain Way, preceded by Joe's fantastic "Tank anecdote" from the same venue in 2013.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2ODStWRuIc

I wish Joe would do a show in the UK. I've only been waiting since 1979.

It was a thrill to see the horns on Joe's mic stand, something he used to do pre-Eagles.

I hope some more footage turns up. I'd love to see County Fair or his cover of the ace Sly And The Family Stone hit, Everyday People

I've read that the Foo Fighters are in New York this week too, to do some album promotion, so I wonder if Joe's going to team up with them again.

I wouldn't think it was worth getting the band together, transporting all the gear and rehearsing etc for just two theatre shows.

Midnight Visitor
12-05-2014, 02:52 PM
Boy oh boy! Look at that set list. You weren't kidding Funk 50. He put 'Look At Us Now' back in the set! There's County Fair! What a smart man. I'm sure he figured if the guys in the Foo Fighters wanted it, there were others. Everyday People sure is a surprise!

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/joe-walsh/2014/the-paramount-huntington-ny-23cdd49f.html

sodascouts
12-05-2014, 09:24 PM
Oh my gosh, how I wish I could have been there!!!!

Keith
12-07-2014, 12:14 PM
I lucked up and managed to catch both nights. My ticket for the first show was marked obstructed view. I did have to lean a little to see around a computer screen, but I still enjoyed it. I managed to get a better seat for night two, which gave a better view of Joe, and what was happening on the general admission floor.
This venue has the reputation of being more of a club than a concert hall, with the act on stage taking a back seat to booze and conversation. This was not the case with these shows. The entire floor crowd seemed to be doing a little head banging and dancing in unison to the performance. I must admit the majority of the crowd was "age appropriate" for a Walsh show, which is likely why he received the attention he deserves. He did say, "Your parents loved this one," before playing Walk Away, but plenty of those parents were there too, STANDING for two hours.
Both performances were great. Two things stood out to me. One, he sang Life in the Fast Lane. I was not aware that he covered the lead vocals in his solo act. I will admit to a little cringe factor at someone other than Henley singing the lines, but I got over it, and enjoyed it. Two, the video during Life's Been Good was great. It was like his Thanksgiving message of the high points in his career: a lot of old Eagles photos and a picture of him and The Boss, just to name a few.
It seemed very odd walking down what feels like a small town main street, and entering a small venue, to see a member of the Eagles. However, I did enjoy The Paramount, and encourage folks to go there, if an act shows up they would like to see.
Parking can be an issue, even hours early, so I advise getting a spot and having a nice long dinner before a show. Huntington has quite a few choices, in walking distance, some right across the street.
Also, an early arrival can really pay off in general admission situations. The crowd did not show until right before showtime. So, those folks who were less than one hour early were standing on the first row.
If Henley comes back for his upcoming tour, I just might be there.
Finally, a Maserati actually passed me on the LIE, as I headed home Friday morning. I couldn't help but grin.

Midnight Visitor
12-07-2014, 01:32 PM
Joe's been singing and playing Life in the Fast Lane since the late 80's.

Ive always been a dreamer
12-07-2014, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the review, Keith. I'm glad you enjoyed the shows. Joe is awesome! :nod:

And I liked your comment about how different an experience it is to see one of the band members solo. I have actually been fortunate enough to see all of the four members in the current lineup perform solo and absolutely loved every show show I've seen. As you said, it is a very different experience to see any of them performing in more intimate settings for sure. I would encourage anyone with an opportunity to see any of the guys solo to GO FOR IT. I definitely don't think you'd regret it. :thumbsup:

sodascouts
12-07-2014, 02:19 PM
Lucky you, Keith! Thanks for the review!

Keith
12-07-2014, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the review, Keith. I'm glad you enjoyed the shows. Joe is awesome! :nod:

And I liked your comment about how different an experience it is to see one of the band members solo. I have actually been fortunate enough to see all of the four members in the current lineup perform solo and absolutely loved every show show I've seen. As you said, it is a very different experience to see any of them performing in more intimate settings for sure. I would encourage anyone with an opportunity to see any of the guys solo to GO FOR IT. I definitely don't think you'd regret it. :thumbsup:
Dreamer, you are very fortunate to have seen them all solo. I'm hoping to do the same, but still have high hopes that the band will come back and finish this tour in the States, before any major solo tours start.

sodascouts
12-08-2014, 01:43 AM
Photos! DANG, that's a hot outfit.

http://www.relix.com/blogs/detail/joe_walsh_at_the_paramount_a_gallery#1

Brooke
12-08-2014, 11:53 AM
Keith, thanks for your review and glad you had a good time! I'd love to see the guys solo!

Joe looks cool as usual!

Funk 50
12-08-2014, 01:54 PM

I would encourage anyone with an opportunity to see any of the guys solo to GO FOR IT. I definitely don't think you'd regret it. :thumbsup:

As a humungous Walsh fan, I'd love to attend a Joe Walsh concert.

I've enjoyed a Henley solo show, though more admirable than entertaining, thrilled to hear Don give Bury a shout out! I was even lucky enough to attend one of Tim's very rare, low key solo shows, which was a treat. I would've gone to see Glenn's solitary UK, Strange Weather date in 1992 but, across town, Joe and Tim were also playing in London that night, with Ringo's All Starr Band, which I did attend. (This makes Tim, the Eagle I've seen live, most :huh:)

Since then, Hell Froze Over, the Eagles got back together, I've seen them together countless times, with Joe invariably playing a starring role.

Every time an Eagles tour closes, I wait for some Walsh solo dates to be announced, only to be disappointed when he, once again, confines himself to the USA, even when the Analog Man CD was released and needed promoting.

It may sound a bit sad but in retrospect, I'm pretty pleased I've avoided being initiated with a Joe, in decline, drunk, show and as the guy in The Shawshank Redemption said; "Hope is a good thing"

It's great that Joe's career seems to be so active and flourishing again although, after a very eventful last couple of years, there doesn't seem to be anything left in the pipeline to look forward to, apart from maybe a new Ringo Starr album in early new year.

sodascouts
12-08-2014, 07:40 PM
Not to get off topic, but do you think Joe would participate in another "All-Starr band" album?

Midnight Visitor
12-08-2014, 10:08 PM
As a humungous Walsh fan, I'd love to attend a Joe Walsh concert.

I've enjoyed a Henley solo show, though more admirable than entertaining, thrilled to hear Don give Bury a shout out! I was even lucky enough to attend one of Tim's very rare, low key solo shows, which was a treat. I would've gone to see Glenn's solitary UK, Strange Weather date in 1992 but, across town, Joe and Tim were also playing in London that night, with Ringo's All Starr Band, which I did attend. (This makes Tim, the Eagle I've seen live, most :huh:)

Since then, Hell Froze Over, the Eagles got back together, I've seen them together countless times, with Joe invariably playing a starring role.

Every time an Eagles tour closes, I wait for some Walsh solo dates to be announced, only to be disappointed when he, once again, confines himself to the USA, even when the Analog Man CD was released and needed promoting.

It may sound a bit sad but in retrospect, I'm pretty pleased I've avoided being initiated with a Joe, in decline, drunk, show and as the guy in The Shawshank Redemption said; "Hope is a good thing"

It's great that Joe's career seems to be so active and flourishing again although, after a very eventful last couple of years, there doesn't seem to be anything left in the pipeline to look forward to, apart from maybe a new Ringo Starr album in early new year.

It's my understanding that Joe is working on a blues album. I think I even read that in one of the reviews for the recent NY shows. There will be more and hopefully he won't leave out the UK!

Houston Baby
12-09-2014, 02:00 PM
It's my understanding that Joe is working on a blues album. I think I even read that in one of the reviews for the recent NY shows.

This is FANTASTIC news! :yay:

sodascouts
12-10-2014, 12:05 AM
I look forward to it!

Funk 50
12-16-2014, 01:43 PM
Joe's Blues project is from about April 2013. So it's not as old as Don's Cass County yet.

Joe did actually say he's considering touring the thing on Europe's festival circuit. So hooray for possible UK dates but sadly again it's not a solo venture.

Just received news that Ringo Starr and Bill Withers, who are both involved in Joe's Blues project, are being inducted into the RnR HoF early next year.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/ringo-starr-hall-of-fame-induction-20141216

Here's two photos from the studio. One group shot and a namedropping photo of bassist's Tal Wilkenfeld's headphone mixer.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/joe-walsh-mick-jagger-ringo-starr/

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BE0WI_oCMAAAbDC.jpg:large

When you're in the Eagles, I don't suppose you need to be in an(other) All-Starr band, unless the Eagles stop recording of course and even though Ringo has passed his 70th birthday, I reckon he could outlive the Eagles. Joe once again co-writes a tune and plays on Ringo's forthcoming new album.

We end the year on a high with a couple of "Keep on going though I'll never Know why" live dates from Joe and now we have some "Business As Usual" promise for the new year. Times are good, on Joe's part anyway. Things could be a lot more forthcoming from Don, Glenn and Tim.

I'm not taking this thread any further off topic. Need to start a "What are they up to? topic.

sodascouts
12-16-2014, 02:33 PM
I get what you're saying about an "What Are They Up to Now" thread, but the problem is the big projects might get buried there. If they're doing things like a new album, which is a huge deal, we start a new thread for it. Announcements for live projects go in "On the Road" so if you've heard something, feel free to post it there! Many folks would attend a festival just to see Joe (I know I have done a whole festival for one artist many times).

I also appreciate your concern for taking threads off topic. I can tell you're a veteran of other forums! I remember the Television Without Pity forum (now closed) would ban people from going off topic - no personal warnings either, just a general one posted in the thread. The axe came down quickly. Oops, did I just go off topic? ;)

Anyway, here's the thread for Joe's blues album, started when he first announced it:
https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4660

Glennsallnighter
12-22-2014, 07:02 PM
It's my understanding that Joe is working on a blues album. I think I even read that in one of the reviews for the recent NY shows. There will be more and hopefully he won't leave out the UK!

This sounds great and if he plays the UK I should be able to see him. He might even throw in a Dublin date for good measure!!