PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Dinner - Your Traditions?

Glennsallnighter
12-24-2014, 06:56 AM
Thought as I'm starting to get ours ready that I would ask what other Borderers do for their Christmas meal. Is it a big deal in your house? Is there something that you MUST include.......

We have the traditional dinner of Turkey, Ham, Stuffing, Roast Potatoes, Brussells Sprouts and a few other veg. Hubby likes soup to start so I will make that today. Then as if that was not enough we tend to go for trifle and/or Christmas fruit pudding for dessert.
A lot of preparation for 4 of us, but we DO tend to get the next two days out of it as well!!

Normally its just the four of us sit down to Christmas dinner. I have been at my parents to join us for years but my mother still likes to do their own.

thelastresort
12-24-2014, 08:23 AM
I get the joys of a nut loaf whilst everyone else digs into beef and guinea fowl. Not hugely enamoured to Christmas Dinner in all honesty - I told my Mum I would happily go and get a meal deal from the local supermarket and that would do me, but apparently I can't :( :hilarious:

L101
12-24-2014, 08:29 AM
We also have the traditional dinner of Turkey, Ham, Potato Stuffing and veg (including the dreaded brussel sprouts!). Dessert is usually Trifle and/or Christmas pudding and this year I've included Ben & Jerrys peanut butter me up ice cream -yum !! :grin:
We usually have Salmon vol-au-vonts and Mushroom ones for me as I don't eat fish for starters. There are 4 of us this year and my brother and his family usually call in for drinks and presents.

Then I work off Christmas dinner by doing the dishes and then finally settle down with the TV and my Baileys :partytime:

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/christmas/merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon.gif (http://www.sherv.net/)

Houston Baby
12-24-2014, 09:49 AM
We have Christmas at my brother & SIL's house since all their children including my sister and hers live on the southeast side of Houston, I am the lone duck on the northwest side. If I go over there, the kids can enjoy all their new toys. We have fried turkey and honey glazed ham, stuffing and also cornbread dressing, the infamous green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, corn casserole, salad and then dessert which always includes pecan pie, pumpkin pie, sweet potato pie, cupcakes, Christmas cookies and fudge. Sometimes my brother even makes his Key Lime pie which I love! Can you tell my family has an insatiable sweet tooth! :hilarious:
Merry Christmas everyone!!

VAisForEagleLovers
12-24-2014, 10:38 AM
We have a whole day of traditions! We start with Christmas breakfast at my aunt's house. Scrambled eggs, pudding meat, pancakes, home fries, and whatever fruit that someone brings. After we stuff ourselves on that, no one's hungry for dinner! We usually have roast beef, mashed potatoes, noodles, dressing, and two veggies. We'll see what takes my fancy when I get to the store in an hour or so.

I've never heard of brussel sprouts for Christmas dinner, but it would explain why my Christmas cookbooks have recipes for brussel sprouts in them. I thought that was odd! I love them, but not everyone in the family does, and Mom can't eat them due to being on blood thinners.

sodascouts
12-25-2014, 12:27 AM
We try to have something special but quick for breakfast like cinnamon rolls. Lunch is served late, 1:30 at the earliest, because we have to wait for my aunt, cousins - some of you may remember Robin and her wife, but also her brother, his wife, and two kids.

Lunch always consists of both turkey and ham - we're a picky family and some don't eat pork. Sides typically include green beans, corn, rolls, potatoes, and stuffing. We always have a plethora of desserts: Jesus birthday cake, pumpkin pie, apple pie, ice cream, cookies, and Christmas chocolates are the norm.

The family Christmas meal is definitely a big deal. Since my younger sister and her family aren't coming until tomorrow, we get to have ANOTHER Christmas dinner! More of the same, I imagine, although I haven't asked!

Desperada
12-25-2014, 10:29 AM
I will go to my brother's house, where we will have the traditional Christmas dinner, turkey,ham, roast spuds,brussel sprouts etc.
My brother and his wife are great cooks, so I am looking forward to it.
I love the company, and look forward to hear what Santa got for Sean,Aine and Donal.
I am very lucky, as they do all the work, someday I hope to return the favour, but I hope they don't hold their breath!!!:blush:
Just like HB , all our teeth are sweet, so we will not be hungry.
We also have great Irish coffee's.
For me it is the most wonderful time of the year.
I hope everyone has a great dayhttps://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

Brooke
12-26-2014, 11:41 AM
Christmas dinner is big in both our families too. Since my husbands parents are both gone now we have been having his side at one of the siblings (there are 10) the Saturday before Christmas. There could possibly be 101 (my grandson is #100) in attendance! Of course many of the younger ones don't come. They have other sides to get to! We probably average around 60 so it's still a pretty big deal! The host does the meat, potatoes and drinks and everyone else brings a dish or two! Tons of food!

Mom always has my side of the family on Christmas day dinner which is served usually about noon or 12:30. About 10 or 12 of us. (my family is much smaller and all of the extras go to the other sides!) We have turkey, ham, mashed potatoes and gravy, sweet potatoes, noodles, dressing, corn and green beans. For dessert usually pumpkin pie and red velvet cake. It's all wonderful and I have to diet for a week afterwards!

We spend Christmas eve at our house and the kids come and stay all night with us for Santa on Christmas morning. Much fun especially now with a baby!

DJ
12-27-2014, 10:48 PM
We start at my inlaws house with a semi big breakfast. Then we open presents laze around for awhile and knibble on all the homemade candy,cakes and desserts. Then we put the whole ham in and ate at 6:30, all the trimmings, sweet potates with lots of butter and brown sugar,greenbean casserole, lots of fresh veggies. Dessert consisted of Apple pie or homemade chocolate whip cream almond tort on graham cracker crust, thee best stuff on earth. Then at 9:30 a ham sand. snack before bed. Boy am I full. LOL