PDA

View Full Version : Possible Forum residency

Witchy Woman
01-08-2015, 01:38 AM
Just found this on the metal message board I post on. Hmmmm…..

https://twitter.com/PollstarNews/status/552597335839346688?s=01

zeldabjr
01-08-2015, 02:08 AM
interesting...I always thought they might do this kind of thing at the MGM Grand in Vegas...Do they still all have homes in LA?

VAisForEagleLovers
01-08-2015, 08:55 AM
No idea, but I would assume they do. This is interesting and I did wonder if Dolan would do something similar with the forum as he has with Billy Joel at MSG. This would be great as long as a person could get good seats.

UndertheWire
01-08-2015, 11:53 AM
This is what Irving Azoff is saying:

The Eagles film brought in fans, and people really liked “The History of the Eagles” show. Every time we go back, it sells out quicker. I mean, the Eagles now is a situation where it could be a tour-in-perpetuity. There are probably 12 cities in America that they can do a residency. I think we went back to Dallas four times.

The Billy Joel model that we’re doing with MSG in New York is an incredible model, and I’m gonna steal from that, meaning do it in other cities. The Eagles, by the way, have been doing a three-year version of that in Vegas, although we don’t market it that way. The Eagles have probably done 12 shows at the MGM Grand in Vegas in the last two and a half or three years, and every one sells out.
http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/news/newsPage.cgi?news10250m01

VAisForEagleLovers
01-08-2015, 07:35 PM
If he could change "I mean, the Eagles now is a situation where it could be a tour-in-perpetuity."

To I mean, the Eagles now is a situation where it will be a tour-in-perpetuity, I'd be very happy! I think they should consider hitting some of the cities they missed before they take up residence, though.

MaryCalifornia
01-08-2015, 07:44 PM
I will have to get a night job if they play every month at the Forum! I'm used to the first few rows, dang it! It would be so awesome because Borderers could coordinate shows to go to and we could all meet in LA!!

VAisForEagleLovers
01-08-2015, 08:09 PM
I will have to get a night job if they play every month at the Forum! I'm used to the first few rows, dang it! It would be so awesome because Borderers could coordinate shows to go to and we could all meet in LA!!

He did say '12 cities'!! LA is good in January and I'd love to be there now. Not so sure about July!

Roey
01-08-2015, 09:09 PM
OMG...this is what I wished for in my 10/13/14 post !! I would think the band members would prefer the LA location...no travel or travel expenses like transporting equipment, hotels, overtime pay for staff traveling with them etc which translates to less expenses and more income. They would be home with their families after the show.

Maybe the concerts would be less structured and more fun than work for them. They could have friends stop by and join the show. Imagine Brian Wilson joining TBS singing CarolineNo or Glenn with Bob Seger, Jackson Brown or Don with Stevie Nicks or Joe with Ringo and Bernie, Randy, Don F (probably not Don F) sooooooo many more. Each band member could include a couple of their solo works. New Eagle songs could be introduced. Jeddrah and maybe Hank Linderman could join her father for a song or two. Each show would be an adventure and a surprise. The fans get their fix of great Eagles music along with a fun jam session. Not everything at every concert but I bet it would be an event other musicians would want to join.

LA is a perfect location because of so many artists living in the area, not to mention the dense population that could go to a show without traveling far. Plus CA is a vacation destination. There are people like me who would make a vacation out of it (beaches, sunshine, great music scene, natural beauty and Eagles concerts). These concerts could become as legendary as Woodstock.

I admit I am an optimist and a dreamer but it could happen! Maybe I could get a job as an usher.

My only negative thought is "Please don't make it Vegas". I am not a gambler so after 2 days, I am ready to go home. I have fun but overall it is not my kind of town or crowd. MSG would be a good alternative (geographically desirable for me).

Bottomline, aren't we all happy we may get to see more Eagles' concerts not matter what the location ? :grin:

Roey
01-08-2015, 09:20 PM
Mary and VA, you sound as excited as I am. I have enjoyed the education I have gotten on this site from all. I listen to music with a keener ear now.

tjh532
01-09-2015, 12:15 AM
This would be fabulous! I'll keep my fingers crossed :nod:

sodascouts
01-09-2015, 02:52 AM
This would be great, and far better than a Vegas residency. As Roey said, if you're not gambling, Vegas wears thin fast. Plus, everything is so overpriced there! I'd love to make seeing the Eagles perform at the Forum in California a regular thing!

Glennsallnighter
01-09-2015, 06:55 AM
I would like to see them do a residency anywhere. Obviously MSG woud suit me best as its only one flight. But I'll take what I can get. I could do one concert every year (maybe 2 if they were back to back)

UndertheWire
01-09-2015, 09:05 AM
Is the band still based in LA? I'm not just talking about where the band members live, but where the crew live and the equipment is stored when they are not on tour. It's not just the band who are getting on in years so some of the crew may be ready for a life off the road.

BillBailey1976
01-16-2015, 07:59 PM
I know I seem to be the only person thinking this way, but that idea sounds horrid. What a shame it would be to turn one of, if not THE greatest American touring band into Wayne Newton and Celine Dion.

BillBailey1976
01-16-2015, 08:06 PM
I have a comparison that just occurred to me, and ironically, it deals with eagles. (The feathered kind).
I live close to an American amusement park called Dollywood, owned by country singer Dolly Parton.
They have an eagle sanctuary. Its a big area with netting on it where they have eagles just sitting around, and flying around inside the enclosure.
They are pretty, even majestic, bu they aren't doing what eagles are supposed to do. They aren't soaring in the sky. To me, that's what the Eagles band, playing monthly as a "house band" in Vegas or LA would be like.
For me, that would signal the END of the Eagles.

VAisForEagleLovers
01-16-2015, 08:30 PM
I know I seem to be the only person thinking this way, but that idea sounds horrid. What a shame it would be to turn one of, if not THE greatest American touring band into Wayne Newton and Celine Dion.

I agree, Bill, but what I think Irving meant is more like Billy Joel's residency at MSG. I haven't studied the schedule lately, but it seems he plays there about once a month, sold out shows, of course. So it's not like it's every weekend or even a true Vegas 'show'. Just real concerts in real arenas where people want to see them.

BillBailey1976
01-16-2015, 08:38 PM
Does Billy Joel do other tours and concert dates in addition to this?
If that's the model, you know do one a month somewhere, and then tour and promote and do other things, I wouldn't have the same issues.
I just don't want to see the Eagles stoop to being a Vegas act.

Freypower
01-16-2015, 09:10 PM
If that's the model, you know do one a month somewhere, and then tour and promote and do other things, I wouldn't have the same issues.

Joel seems to have given up touring in favour of playing these endless Madison Square Garden shows.

BB, I am with you. I don't want to see them do this either. I would rather they went their separate ways & created some new individual music if they don't want to make another band album.

Roey
01-16-2015, 09:12 PM
There is an interview where Don H said he liked the renovated LA Forum because it was structured for musical performances with great acoustics without consideration of being able to host sporting and other events. His also said in LA he gets more requests for back stage passes. This goes back to my original proposal that the shows could be an adventure with musican friends and family contributing to the performances. I will post the link when I find it. This makes me think he would consider a residency at the forum. There have been numerous Glenn sightings around MSG (Knicks games, Bob Seger concert) and we know at least TBS has an apartment in NY and Joe has roots in Jersey so maybe MSG is under consideration. Both venues are owned by Madison Square Garden Company (ie James Dolan whose band opened up for some of the Eagles concerts). There are alot of connections.

My vote would be for 5 monthly shows in LA. I would plan a vacation around a show (or 2 or 5) and 5 monthly shows at MSG. I can get from my office to MSG in 30 minutes. Then 2 months for the band to take a brake and give my bank account a chance to recover.

The Eagles are perfectionists and would ensure the concerts met their standards. Billy Joels' MSG concerts are far better than Vegas shows.

Freypower
01-16-2015, 09:26 PM
I'm sorry but I don't see a band as rigidly structured as the Eagles suddenly having a plethora of guest musicians.

VAisForEagleLovers
01-16-2015, 11:05 PM

Yes, he did a rather extensive tour at the beginning of his 'residency' at MSG. I saw him here in Louisville last spring. It was the usual amount of shows, and now he's on a regular break except for the MSG shows that are planned through November. He'll probably tour more, but it's hard to say. What it would mean for the Eagles and their fans is hard to say, but it's obvious that it's working for BJ.

sodascouts
01-17-2015, 07:46 PM
Joel seems to have given up touring in favour of playing these endless Madison Square Garden shows.

BB, I am with you. I don't want to see them do this either. I would rather they went their separate ways & created some new individual music if they don't want to make another band album.

I see it a bit differently. I'm hoping that a residency as opposed to a tour where they have to travel would enable them to have more time to do studio projects while not neglecting live performances entirely. It's the best of both worlds!

However, if it was an either / or situation, I admit I would prefer new studio music to a residency. I just believe they can do both. After all, a residency entails just a few nights a month typically.

The only thing I fear about a residency is that they'll give us a short set like the ones they pulled out for Vegas a couple years ago and it will be the exact same set for the entirety of their residency, no matter how long it lasts. That would be disappointing.

tjh532
01-18-2015, 01:14 AM
From a different fan point of view, I would love to know that they were playing at a specific place and when. Being on a very tight budget, I need time to plan and save up, even for a concert ticket. To be able to count on them performing at a certain place and time with plenty of time to plan would be tremendous.

And I know that none of us like to think about it, but our guys are getting older. Touring is taxing, even when you are younger. If they had a residency somewhere, they could still perform, and then do shorter tours in between dates when they feel like it and stay home when they don't. The best of both worlds for them, and we continue to get (some) live performances.

BillBailey1976
01-18-2015, 09:01 AM
I'm not sure that for a group like the Eagles, who have every amenity imaginable, that touring is that taxing for them. Now, back in the days of tour buses and dragging your own equipment, or in the days of all night parties after the shows, yes, I would agree that would really take it out of you.
Being driven to the airport, walking to the plane, a very luxurious, comfortable plane, flying to the city, being driven from the airport to the arena, where your dressing room is filled with everything you want or need, playing the show, then doing it all in reverse, or staying in a 5 star hotel, then doing it all in reverse, not too taxing.
The most taxing part would be playing the show, which I'm sure takes it out of you.
That part would be no different, no matter where you played.

I would say that touring gets "old" alot faster than it would be taxing.

Ive always been a dreamer
01-18-2015, 02:56 PM
I hear what you're saying, BB1976, but I would have to disagree with you somewhat here. No matter what the accommodations are, I think traveling can be exhausting. I used to travel extensively in my job, and, although there were definitely some fringe benefits, it could get very old and tiresome. Not only that, but there are other lots of other factors that add to the stress, such as being away from your family at times when they may need or want you to be there for them.

As I mentioned in another thread, I'll take whatever I can get from the band at this point. I don't think the residency idea would be a horrible thing. The only things I would hope for if they decide to do it is to take up residency in several different cities - maybe not 12 cities, but maybe one on the east coast (NYC), one on the west coast (LA), and a couple in between. In addition, I cross my fingers that they don't cut back to a 90-minute set list as Soda suggested. I can say for sure that I personally would not attend as many shows if they do that.

Glennsallnighter
01-18-2015, 03:11 PM
I would find it hard to justify the travel too for a 90m setlist. At least with the HOTE I was guaranteed over 3 hours, and I got two shows the weekend I went to NY in 2013. Thats 7 hours and much more worth it. I would do 90m for a Glenn :heart: solo show because obviously to expect any more from a solo singer is unrealistic.

But they are the bosses and will control their own destiny and as Soda says we will have to take what we get.

Roey
01-26-2015, 09:45 PM
I didn't mean to imply a free for all. A plethora would be messy and you are right, the band would not allow messy. Of the 20 something songs they perform at each concert, maybe 3 or so could feature guest musicians. In lieu of guest musicians at some of the concerts, the special set could feature old and/or new recordings from the band members' individual projects. It could also be the set where the band debuts new material for audience reactions. The time they save traveling could be spent in the studio. The fans have access to great Eagles music plus a little surprise sweetener at each concert. Just a thought.

Freypower
01-26-2015, 10:08 PM
I didn't mean to imply a free for all. A plethora would be messy and you are right, the band would not allow messy. Of the 20 something songs they perform at each concert, maybe 3 or so could feature guest musicians. In lieu of guest musicians at some of the concerts, the special set could feature old and/or new recordings from the band members' individual projects. It could also be the set where the band debuts new material for audience reactions. The time they save traveling could be spent in the studio. The fans have access to great Eagles music plus a little surprise sweetener at each concert. Just a thought.

First of all we have no idea whether they ever plan to record together again. If they did, they wouldn't perform any new material while they were recording it. Think of their horror of bootlegs. It's a bit late in their career for that.

The idea that after all these years they would suddenly be amenable to playing each other's solo material and suddenly start featuring guest musicians....why? They have their solo shows for that. People expect to see the Eagles. There are already some fans who think they should cut down on the solo material (which in fact they have; they only do Joe's songs now).

I am sorry but you are crediting them with flexibility & willingness to take risks with unfamiliar material that they have rarely, if ever, shown.

sodascouts
01-26-2015, 11:35 PM
Of course, one never knows what could happen, and there's no harm in speculating!