PDA

View Full Version : What Do I Do with My Heart

sodascouts
10-01-2007, 04:21 PM
Look guys, a new song clip is up on the official Eagles MySpace! It's called "What Do I Do with My Heart" and it's a ballad of Glenn's. His voice sounds so rich yet vulnerable - he really can work the love-lorn angst. It reminds me a lot of "It's Your Life."

So give it a listen and tell us what you think!

http://www.myspace.com/eaglesmusic

DonFan
10-01-2007, 05:52 PM
Ballads are one of Glenn's strengths, and this one is very lovely.

Glennsallnighter
10-01-2007, 06:45 PM
Oh that one is lovely :love: I can't wait to hear it all. Tho' if Glenn :heart: had his arms around me he'd never have to worry about what he'd do to his heart, cos they would never have to let me go :smitten:
Sorry, got carried away there! :inlove:

Freypower
10-01-2007, 06:53 PM
It's been a while since he's done a 'lost love' song. Really the last one was Strange Weather. I think I'm gonna like this one. :blush:

The Bomber
10-01-2007, 07:05 PM
Cool, I love to hear these new clips.

Freypower, hate to say it but since he's only released two songs with him on lead vocals since Strange Weather, saying he hasn't done a love-lost song since then isn't too impressive, hahaha. And anyway "The Girl from Yesterday" is pretty lost-love, just not his lost-love, but some pathetic girl's.

But hey I like it even if it is a bit mushy.

Freypower
10-01-2007, 07:30 PM
Oh, well, when you put it like that.... TGFY and NMCD. No, it isn't a lot. I don't regard TGFY in that way because it isn't in first person. I don't like to be reminded of how few new songs the man has sung since 1992, I suppose.

sodascouts
10-01-2007, 07:40 PM
I can see what you mean about TGFY. He's not yearning for a lost love in that song, just making a sad commentary on someone else.

But what song are you thinking of from Strange Weather? There's some "problem relationship" issues but none of them are lost love per se, are they? Strange Weather has the line "somehow we'll survive" in it.

Freypower
10-01-2007, 08:36 PM
Yes, that's true. You don't know what will happen in that song but as well as 'somehow we'll survive' there is 'running out of time'. It's more sad than happy, put it that way.

Sexy Girl
10-02-2007, 07:30 AM
This new ballad is just wonderful - Glenn has got the most beautiful voice, and I wish I could hear more of this song right now. Though I'm afraid it could bring tears to my eyes.

I will count the days until I have the album. Can't wait to hear this velvet voice on many songs :heart:

tbs fanatic
10-02-2007, 03:49 PM
It sounds good :D

EasyFeeling
10-02-2007, 04:03 PM
I agree, sounds good from what I can hear in these 30 sec.

DonFan
10-02-2007, 05:41 PM
I listened to this song first thing this morning, and it has been stuck in my head all day! I sure wish they would put up the rest of the song so I won't keep replaying the same 30 seconds all day! :wink:

Glennsallnighter
10-02-2007, 06:45 PM
I know the feeling DF! I'd love to hear it in its entirety also! :D

Brooke
10-02-2007, 07:28 PM
Yummmmm, Glenn sounds wonderful, as well as the voices in the background. I wish the clip was a bit longer. Soon. 28 days........ :D

Mrs Frey
10-03-2007, 05:26 AM
LOL, DF! I don't blame you for playing those 30 seconds repeatedly. I managed to listen for the first time earlier this morning (I've had a hectic couple of days, so limited Board time - I'm grabbing my opportunities today! :D ), and boy, Glenn :heart: is such a wonderful balladeer. OH! I can't wait to hear the whole song, and all the other new songs he has graced with his beautiful voice. He is so versatile, though - I can't stop listening to his albums, as there's so much variety on each of them (still waiting - since March! :roll: - for my "Soul Searchin'" album). Wow, what an artist - I am in awe.

JoeFan
10-05-2007, 03:07 AM
Hard to tell much from such a short clip but I did enjoy what I heard.

thelongrun
10-05-2007, 03:45 PM
I just can't take Busy BF out of my head!! :? 8)

Glenn's Girl
10-07-2007, 09:13 PM
Oooh, I LOVE it, Glenn's voice sounds so romantic and sweet! All these new clips are so exciting!

Glennsallnighter
11-02-2007, 05:31 PM
Its gorgeous! I was crying listening to it yesterday. Its my favourite so far. Oh Glenn :heart: <siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh> :inlove:

timfan
11-02-2007, 05:38 PM
It's a great song... very heartfelt :D

Freypower
11-02-2007, 06:15 PM
The beginning is rather like Let's Go Home. I must say I do wish I knew who was playing what. That is my major complaint with the album's credits.

He puts in a magnificent performance here. It's absolutely compelling to listen to. When he gets to the bridge (making plans for TWO!) he just carries you away. The 'just me and you' is reminiscent of True Love, of course. He's never done all that improvising at the end either. I love it.

Maleah
11-02-2007, 11:40 PM
I can honestly say this is one of my fav.'s on the album. I loved the melody of it immediately. I also loved Glenn's vocals immediately. But when it got to the part where he starts really putting his soulfulness into it and Don takes over lead with Glenn adding in...........wow. That's all I can say! I get goosebumps every time on that part!

sodascouts
11-02-2007, 11:50 PM
It's one of my favorites too, and like everyone else, the bridge is what really lifts it to the next level. He puts so much heart into it... I love it. I also appreciate that they split the lead at the end. They are really making an effort to be the EAGLES, not just Don and Glenn.

EasyFeeling
11-03-2007, 06:00 AM
There's nothing more to say for me. I totally agree with you three. :)

Perfect Little Sister
11-05-2007, 02:27 PM
I have to admit that when I heard the snippet of this on the computer I wasn't impressed. I was a little bummed actually, thinking I wasn't going to like a number of the songs on the album from those comp clips. I'm so glad to find that's not the case. I don't have anything to add that others haven't already pointed out about this one. I just really like it.

sodascouts
11-05-2007, 02:30 PM
Yeah, those clips aren't anything compared to the full song. It's actually a favorite for me, right up there with Waiting in the Weeds.

DonFan
11-05-2007, 05:31 PM
I can honestly say this is one of my fav.'s on the album. ...when it got to the part where he starts really putting his soulfulness into it and Don takes over lead with Glenn adding in...........wow. That's all I can say! I get goosebumps every time on that part!

I'm with you, Maleah. I love it when Don takes over the lead and wails, "What can I do when I STILL missing you....."

As a matter of fact, when I heard that part, I found myself wondering what it would sound like if Don had sung the entire song! :twisted:

(Runs and hides)

sodascouts
11-05-2007, 10:03 PM
That's ok, DF, I don't really get interested in Center of the Universe until Glenn comes in on "Oh, love" lol. Our little foibles don't mean that we don't appreciate the talents of the other guys!

The Bomber
11-10-2007, 11:36 PM
Another one that's OK. As far as love songs go it's good. I don't fast forward it. Bringing in Henley was an unexpected move, added something unique to the song. I liked that.

tbs fanatic
11-12-2007, 09:40 PM
I'm really loving this song now that I've listened a few times. Definitely becoming one of my faves on the album.

chaim
11-14-2012, 05:46 AM
I find the lyrics in "What do I do with my heart" even more puzzling. At first Glenn says, "I'm not gonna say a word, I know I can't change your mind. You know where you need to go; I know I'll be left behind". It's a bit like in his beautiful solo song, "It's your life". Then a little bit later it's...:

"Tell me you're not leavin' now (Tell me you're not leavin')
Tell me that you're gonna stay (Please say you'll stay with me, baby)
Tell me that you love me still (Say you love me still)
For this and this alone I pray (Fall down on my knees and pray)
I'll do anything (Yes, I would)
To save what we have (To keep you by my side)"

Is that intentional? Was the idea that the guy tries to be strong, but finally "breaks down" at the end of the song? Or did they not notice that the guy says two different things?

EaglesKiwi
11-16-2012, 05:44 AM
I find the lyrics in "What do I do with my heart" even more puzzling. At first Glenn says, "I'm not gonna say a word, I know I can't change your mind. You know where you need to go; I know I'll be left behind". It's a bit like in his beautiful solo song, "It's your life". Then a little bit later it's...:

"Tell me you're not leavin' now (Tell me you're not leavin')
Tell me that you're gonna stay (Please say you'll stay with me, baby)
Tell me that you love me still (Say you love me still)
For this and this alone I pray (Fall down on my knees and pray)
I'll do anything (Yes, I would)
To save what we have (To keep you by my side)"

Is that intentional? Was the idea that the guy tries to be strong, but finally "breaks down" at the end of the song? Or did they not notice that the guy says two different things?
I got the impression that the girl isn't there when he's singing - he's absolutely pouring his heart out, but he's not doing it in front of her because he's respecting and maybe understanding her decision to leave - he's just utterly anguished about it.

Oh I love this song so much. Together with Waiting in the Weeds and Long Road Out of Eden - my top 3 Eagles songs. The call and response at the end is amazing. To have both Glenn and Don singing such beautiful lyrics... :inlove:and that "ooh oooh ooh" by Glenn... :fainting::smitten:

VAisForEagleLovers
11-16-2012, 08:36 PM
I love this song, too! Definitely one of my favorites.

I had noticed the two different things as well, chaim, and assumed it was intentional. I guess thinking back to times in my life when I was so distraught over any emotional impact, and I'd tell myself I was going to take one course of action, usually to be quiet about something. Then when the rubber hit the road, so to speak, I'd do something else entirely, like say something. It's life and therefore, it doesn't need to make sense!

Prettymaid
11-16-2012, 08:59 PM
Isn't it like that in most emotional breakups? At first you're like, "Fine. Go.", and then you're crying andf begging them to stay.

Not that I'd have any firsthand experience or anything. :nahnah:

Topkat
11-17-2012, 08:37 AM
I'm going to jump into this thread because this is one of my favorite songs on LROOE...It's so romantic, I love the words & Glenn sounds amazing on it. Love Don at the end too...This is one song I wish they would add to the set list...Would LOVE to hear this one at the 40th , ummm 41st Anniversary Tour!:thumbsup:

Ive always been a dreamer
11-17-2012, 11:09 PM
I would love to hear this live too, but I ain't counting on it. :-(

Isn't it like that in most emotional breakups? At first you're like, "Fine. Go.", and then you're crying andf begging them to stay.

Not that I'd have any firsthand experience or anything. :nahnah:

And PM, I have no idea what you are talking about here. :) :lie:

zeldabjr
11-17-2012, 11:26 PM
love it but don't want them to do it live...always makes me cry...and I don't wanna cry at an Eagles concert!

Glennsallnighter
11-18-2012, 06:20 AM
Oh yes! I'd love to hear them do it too! Though I remember the first time I heard it fully (the 30th October 2007) I cried my eyes out. I'm sure the other drivers were wondering what on earth had happened me!

But sadly, they seem to have even dropped the LROOE material that they had been doing so I'd say it's highly unlikely we'll ever hear it live!

I must say though I'm really delighted that I managed to see 'Somebody' live. 2 times :partytime:

Topkat
11-18-2012, 09:53 AM
I would love to hear this live...I wish they would add this to the new tour, but I'm not counting on it...I don't even mind if it makes me cry, It's good to get emotional sometimes...It should be moving...shows that the song has meaning & it should bring out emotions....Signs of a really great song!!

11-18-2012, 01:20 PM
Yep - as I've said before, I get emotional every single time I hear Hotel California live and that is certainly not a song that tugs at the heart strings. But, the emotion comes from knowing the iconic status of the song and being privileged to be a part of the experience. I've noticed the last few times I've heard Take It Easy live it is beginning to have the same effect on me, especially at Glenn's show in Clearwater last week.

Houston Debutante
12-06-2012, 05:58 PM
It was an excellent decision to have Don sing a segment of this terrific song. I just wish the duet were more evenly divided. Other than that this song is great.

12-07-2012, 01:07 AM
Sorry, HD, but I'm gonna have to respectfully disagree with you here. IMO, the song is perfect just like it is. I think the song is a man talking to a lost lover so shared vocals would be awkward to me. It works well in the bridge only for the purpose of trading the back and forth vocals. JMHO

Houston Debutante
12-07-2012, 04:41 PM
I see your point about it being awkward with shared vocals. I never thought about that before. Perhaps it is best as it is after all.

Outlawman13
02-27-2013, 12:02 AM
I just adore this song!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Glenn's voice is so perfect. I can relate to this song for sure. One of my favvies on this album. I can listen to it all day.

Tiffanny Twisted
02-27-2013, 10:13 AM
OK I Love this song. I love the shared vocals and I think it is perfrect...JMO
everytime I hear it I say "I"ll tell you what to do with your heart " sing it boys ......:thumbsup:

zeldabjr
02-27-2013, 02:34 PM
I adore this song...but I get teary every time I hear it...:sigh:

VAisForEagleLovers
02-27-2013, 04:45 PM
I adore this song...but I get teary every time I hear it...:sigh:

Sometimes I do, too. Sometimes, though, I just sit in total awe at the sound of those two beautiful voices going back and forth. It doesn't matter how many times I listen to it (usually several times a week), it blows me away every time. Listening with the high-end Bose headphones is like a preview of heaven. In my opinion!

Tiffanny Twisted
02-27-2013, 08:16 PM
i have to agree..heaven