PDA

View Full Version : Rehearsals for 2013 HOTE tour

NightMistBlue
02-02-2015, 11:16 AM
Does anyone here know approximately when the band convened for rehearsals for the 2013 tour, and how long the rehearsals went on? Thank you.

UndertheWire
02-02-2015, 12:01 PM
Does anyone here know approximately when the band convened for rehearsals for the 2013 tour, and how long the rehearsals went on? Thank you.

In late April 2013, Glenn Frey said
”We’re about to begin rehearsals next month for our world tour.” The tour began in early July. That's the closest I can get.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/eagles-tour-could-be-their-last/?trackback=tsmclip

Brooke
02-02-2015, 12:18 PM
I'm wondering what happened at the annual 'band meeting' in January. Don't they usually do that in January?

UndertheWire
02-02-2015, 12:45 PM
I'm wondering what happened at the annual 'band meeting' in January. Don't they usually do that in January?
Wasn't a Don Henley solo date announced a few weeks ago? Perhaps a sign that they've set the band schedule and it allows Don time off to promote that elsuive album?

VAisForEagleLovers
02-02-2015, 01:23 PM
Wasn't a Don Henley solo date announced a few weeks ago? Perhaps a sign that they've set the band schedule and it allows Don time off to promote that elsuive album?

Yes, but so far, it's only that one music festival and no other shows announced for Don, which is a little disappointing.

NightMistBlue
02-02-2015, 01:40 PM
Thank you, O Eagles peeps! Very helpful.

My question was partially sparked by an interview with Stevie Nicks, where she detailed Fleetwood Mac's intense rehearsal preparation for their tours - we're talking 6-7 hours a day for at least two months solid. "And these are songs we know!" she laughed. It made me wonder about the perfectionist Eagles, who have apparently followed a rigorous practice schedule since their beginnings as a band.

I also wondered about the timing of getting Bernie and possibly Randy involved. If the tour was scheduled to start in July, surely they would have approached the former band members as early as possible. I wonder if Randy had been approached before his accident in early March.

VAisForEagleLovers
02-02-2015, 03:02 PM
True, our perfectionist Eagles would have done a lot of rehearsal. They did some shows at the end of 2012 and a show in Vegas in March of 2013, so musically, the songs they played in those shoes wouldn't need much rehearsal, except with timing and the new background video.

thelastresort
02-02-2015, 03:33 PM
I have wondered sometimes how long it would have taken them to refresh themselves in let alone rehearse songs like Doolin-Dalton/Desperado (Reprise) and Those Shoes again. Except for the three Millennium Concerts it would have been over three decades since they performed either...

Funk 50
02-02-2015, 05:32 PM
I'm sure the internet has made preparation for a tour a lot easier.

From memory, the band, or probably Joe, set up a webcam (it was lousy, 1 frame every 2 minutes from the back of the auditorium) to capture the rehearsals for the 3 Millennium concerts they did at the end of 1999. Often labeled the shortest tour in history but they still rehearsed for about 3 or 4 weeks, 7 or 8 hours a day.

Still, it's a blink of an eye compared to how long they spend making a record. :)

Can anybody verify this, It seems so unlikely now, maybe I just dreamed it :worried:

Jonny Come Lately
02-02-2015, 06:24 PM
I have wondered sometimes how long it would have taken them to refresh themselves in let alone rehearse songs like Doolin-Dalton/Desperado (Reprise) and Those Shoes again. Except for the three Millennium Concerts it would have been over three decades since they performed either...

Those Shoes would have required a fair bit of refreshing in particular given the prominent use of the talk box guitars, and the fact that I don't think it had ever been played prior to the Millennium Concerts. I can imagine it would have been a long time since they last played TLHTM too - without knowing for sure I'm guessing it would have been dropped around the time of On The Border, being an acoustic country/folk song which tended to be performed with all the band members at the front (see the BBC performance of the song) I suspect it would have been dropped from the set when Felder joined and the emphasis of their live shows started to move away from their close-knit harmonies to a more guitar-driven live sound (contrast the BBC show with Don Kirshner's Rock Concert to illustrate this, even the California Jam show without Felder shows some change in this regard).

Ive always been a dreamer
02-03-2015, 12:00 AM
Another thing to keep in mind is that when they start a new tour with new sets and set lists, it's not just the songs and music they rehearse. The way this band approaches their live shows makes their 'practices' actually more of a dress rehearsal for a stage production.

UndertheWire
02-03-2015, 08:29 AM
There was more than a three year gap between the end of the HFO tour and the Millenium concerts, so they probably needed the practice. I know they did a couple of benefits in between but I'm guessing those were short sets and nothing too fancy.

BillBailey1976
02-06-2015, 06:37 PM
Those Shoes would have required a fair bit of refreshing in particular given the prominent use of the talk box guitars, and the fact that I don't think it had ever been played prior to the Millennium Concerts. I can imagine it would have been a long time since they last played TLHTM too - without knowing for sure I'm guessing it would have been dropped around the time of On The Border, being an acoustic country/folk song which tended to be performed with all the band members at the front (see the BBC performance of the song) I suspect it would have been dropped from the set when Felder joined and the emphasis of their live shows started to move away from their close-knit harmonies to a more guitar-driven live sound (contrast the BBC show with Don Kirshner's Rock Concert to illustrate this, even the California Jam show without Felder shows some change in this regard).

They did perform "Those Shoes" in 1980. I don't know about other than that. It's on the "LA Long Run" bootleg.

02-06-2015, 11:03 PM
What Long Run bootleg do you have, BB?

BillBailey1976
02-07-2015, 06:19 AM
It's called "The L.A. Long Run", recorded in March 80 at the Forum.
Setlist. Soundboard Recording

1. Hotel California
2. Already Gone
3. In the City
4. King of Hollywood
5. Sad Cafe
6. Lyin Eyes
7. I Cant Tell You Why
8. Those Shoes
9. Heartache Tonight
10. One of These Nights
11. Turn to Stone
12. The Long Run
13. Life's Been Good
14. Life in the Fast Lane
15. Carol (Fades Out)

GlennLover
02-07-2015, 10:46 AM
It's called "The L.A. Long Run", recorded in March 80 at the Forum.
Setlist. Soundboard Recording

1. Hotel California
2. Already Gone
3. In the City
4. King of Hollywood
5. Sad Cafe
6. Lyin Eyes
7. I Cant Tell You Why
8. Those Shoes
9. Heartache Tonight
10. One of These Nights
11. Turn to Stone
12. The Long Run
13. Life's Been Good
14. Life in the Fast Lane
15. Carol (Fades Out)

I don't have that one and have never heard of it. Wow, I guess there are still some gems out there to be discovered!

sodascouts
02-08-2015, 01:42 AM
I have that and also another version of the same show that's a bit lower in audio quality, but contains some more songs:

Disc One

1) Hotel California
2) Already Gone
3) In The City
4) King of Hollywood
5) The Sad Cafe
6) Lyin' Eyes
7) I Can't Tell You Why
8 ) Desperado
9) Those Shoes
10) Heartache Tonight
11) One of These Nights
12) Turn to Stone

Disc Two
1) Life's Been Good
2) Life in the Fast Lane
3) Rocky Mountain Way
4) Greeks Don't Want No Freaks
5) Take It Easy
6) Oh Carol
7) The Best of My Love

Funk 50
02-08-2015, 04:04 PM
There was more than a three year gap between the end of the HFO tour and the Millenium concerts, so they probably needed the practice. I know they did a couple of benefits in between but I'm guessing those were short sets and nothing too fancy.

They've certainly been a lot busier, if not more productive since ditching Felder.

When Bill Wyman was asked to perform with The Rolling Stones, a couple of years ago, after his long absence, he put YouTube on to relearn all his parts before meeting up with the chaps again. He was gutted to learn that they only wanted him for a song or two.

Learning "parts" is so much easier in the internet age. (Unless the songs have all been removed due to contractual and ownership issues of course :thumbsup:)

VAisForEagleLovers
02-08-2015, 07:31 PM
They've certainly been a lot busier, if not more productive since ditching Felder.

When Bill Wyman was asked to perform with The Rolling Stones, a couple of years ago, after his long absence, he put YouTube on to relearn all his parts before meeting up with the chaps again. He was gutted to learn that they only wanted him for a song or two.

Learning "parts" is so much easier in the internet age. (Unless the songs have all been removed due to contractual and ownership issues of course :thumbsup:)

Since nearly every YouTube video has hideous audio quality, I'm not sure how anyone could learn anything anyway. It amazes me that people judge performances by these tinny, ear scratching pseudo performances. One reason our guys hunt these down and get them off the internet is copyright reasons. Another is likely that people listen to them and judge them based on them and find them wanting instead of buying a ticket and hearing what they really sound like.

sodascouts
02-08-2015, 09:50 PM
The vast majority of YouTube videos are crap because they are taken with cell phones, but there are a few recorded with cameras that are actually surprisingly good quality. I imagine Wyman sought those out. Regardless, he seemed to deem them satisfactory for his purposes. Poor guy - to only get to play on a couple of songs after all that work!

MaryCalifornia
02-08-2015, 11:34 PM
I'm reading Bill Wyman's autobiography. I can't get through it, it is so boring and detailed. Never thought I'd say that.

Funk 50
02-09-2015, 05:50 PM
Bill was apparently the Stones's self appointed chronicler and archivist.

Bad start isn't it. :worried:

YouTube has got plenty of high quality music to view. I wouldn't include the fan posted live footage as part of it. Entertaining as they can be.:)

If you want to reacquaint yourself with a back catalog. YouTube is the place to go.

Before the internet, you'd have to search out the sheet music, if you were a reader, the CD, record or tape and trust your ear or search out the musician(s) responsible.

NightMistBlue
03-20-2015, 05:32 PM
I'm probably the only person interested in ironing out this particular stretch of the band's chronology, but just in case! I came across this little nugget today which indicates that negotiations for Bernie's return were settled pretty early in 2013:

February 27, 2013 The Eagles' Don Henley said that a former member will rejoin the fold for the band's summer tour, according to an interview he gave to Philly Classic Rock station, WMKJ-FM.

He did say that it will not be lead guitarist Don Felder, who left for the second and last time in 2000 and with whom acrimony remains (perhaps the result of Felder's two lawsuits against The Eagles and another for $50 million).

That leaves either bass player Randy Meisner, who sang lead on "Take It to the Limit" and who left in 1977 (replaced by Timothy B. Schmit, who also replaced him in Poco); or guitarist Bernie Leadon, who was influential in sending the band in a more country-rock vein (he and Henley co-wrote "Taking It Easy," "Peaceful Easy Feeling" and "Witchy Woman") and who quit The Eagles in 1975 by pouring beer over fellow member Glenn Frey's head (he cited the need for rest and escape from all the band's drug-taking).

thelastresort
03-20-2015, 06:42 PM
Couple of things there, firstly when did Felder leave for the first time prior to his dismissal in February (?) 2001? And secondly, of those songs listed, Leadon and Henley only wrote WW together. PEF is Jack Tempchin and TIE is Jackson Browne and Frey...

Freypower
03-20-2015, 07:34 PM
Couple of things there, firstly when did Felder leave for the first time prior to his dismissal in February (?) 2001? And secondly, of those songs listed, Leadon and Henley only wrote WW together. PEF is Jack Tempchin and TIE is Jackson Browne and Frey...

Everything you say is correct. Felder never left before he was fired.

And given that the band STARTED as a country rock band it's hard to justify the statement that Bernie made them more of the same. The statement is usually applied to Joe making them rockier.

They couldn't even get the title of Take It Easy right, whoever wrote this.

VAisForEagleLovers
03-20-2015, 09:57 PM
The link to the article is posted on here somewhere. It was before any announced concerts, perhaps when Don interviewed with Philly before his Atlantic City solo show?

NightMistBlue
03-23-2015, 02:45 PM
Sorry guys, I did several searches to find that article again, but no luck.

I hadn't even noticed all the errors in it, until you guys pointed it out! "Taking It Easy" indeed. :)

VAisForEagleLovers
03-23-2015, 07:05 PM
Sorry guys, I did several searches to find that article again, but no luck.

I hadn't even noticed all the errors in it, until you guys pointed it out! "Taking It Easy" indeed. :)

I can't find it either, but I know it's on here if it's the same one I'm thinking about. He was asked about a the tour for the Eagles, and he said that Philadelphia was definitely a stop on the tour. It was before the first leg of concerts was announced, which I think was in March, and after we knew there'd be a tour. I'm not why else he would have been interviewed by a Philly radio station except for the Atlantic City date, but I'll keep looking.

Have you looked at the website for the radio station to see if the article still exists?

NightMistBlue
03-24-2015, 08:05 AM
Good suggestion, VA: if I would've just googled it, whoomp there it is and a slightly longer version too, which goes into Mr. Frey's doings:

http://www.presstelegram.com/20130227/steve-smith-which-former-eagle-to-rejoin-band-santana-to-reunite-classic-band

P.S. Apparently the article even got the radio station's call letters wrong - it should be WMGK!

NightMistBlue
08-07-2015, 09:28 AM
OK, I've been trying to get some details of the HOTE tour planning down, mostly to clarify Randy's possible inclusion and what may have happened. Not to cook up a conspiracy theory or anything sinister like that, just to understand. The unfortunate, even tragic, timing of Randy's choking accident in March 2013 is troubling.

As early as January 2013, Don H. said there would be a tour starting in summer of that year and that it would include former band members. They sure as heck weren't approaching Felder, so that could only mean Bernie and Randy.
The relevant remarks begin around 3:13:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQiZpvcHM3s

Funk 50
08-09-2015, 07:51 AM
I'm pretty vague on the time line NightMistBlue but Randy semi-retired after having health issues while performing with the World Class Rockers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Classic_Rockers

A WCR show would only feature Randy for the first 15/20 minutes, during which he'd sing Take It Easy, Take It To The Limit and maybe one or two others, stick around for Hotel California then leave the stage.

Joe was saying publicly, probably during interviews while he was publicising Analog Man, that he wanted the Eagles to change their set list. He surprised everybody by announcing that he was spending the summer touring as special guest with somebody like Kenny Chesney. I think that instigated the History Of The Eagles show.

The dates with Chesney (I think) turned out to be short and sporadic, Joe returned the Eagles for some summer dates, continuing with the old set list but I think a commitment to change the set list was agreed.

The format, to tie in with the documentary. of a chronological trip through their career was suggested pretty early and the possible inclusion of former members. Bernie and Randy would need substantial time to get into shape and reach the standard required to perform at an Eagles show. Bernie did that, Randy didn't.

Henley's confirmation is from early July 2013;

"Bernie Leadon is definitely on this tour, Randy Meisner, if he were healthy and willing, might have been included, too, but his current health will not permit. We are all wishing him well."

There's no doubt that they were both approached to participate in the HOTE tour. I've not come across any evidence that they actually spoke to Randy directly.

08-09-2015, 11:36 AM
Well unless Randy decides to write his memoirs, we probably will never know the whole story about why he did not join the HotE tour. Clearly, he was approached about the idea, but the details about why and how this all went down has never been made public to the best of my knowledge.