PDA

View Full Version : Last Good Time in Town

sodascouts
10-08-2007, 01:32 PM
A clip that's different from the one we've heard of Last Good Time in Town has been posted on the Eagles MySpace (http://www.myspace.com/eaglesmusic) and the Official Site (http://www.eaglesband.com).

I like it more the more I hear of it!

Edited to add:

Here's the older one for reference:

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/multimedia/MP3/LGTITClip.mp3

thelongrun
10-08-2007, 02:24 PM
Thank you thank you thank you!

Maleah
10-08-2007, 02:41 PM
I'm actually really liking this song so far! It's a catchy beat I think.

tbs fanatic
10-08-2007, 05:05 PM
Yep, I'm really liking it. OMG - I can't wait for the CD to arrive :band:

Molly
10-08-2007, 09:08 PM
It sounds kind of "Steely Dan-ish"

DonFan
10-08-2007, 11:45 PM
I really like it. It does sound a little like Steely Dan.

There's a new clip up of Long Road Out of Eden, too, including some of Don's vocals.

All these little teasers are killing me!

thelongrun
10-09-2007, 11:37 AM
Good Morning USA, clips from 3 new Song on Ofic. E's Site 8) 8) 8)

EasyFeeling
10-09-2007, 11:50 AM
Wow, even if I've heard only 30 seconds I'm going to LOVE Last Good Time In Love. :D :D I daresay I like it best from what I've heard so far.

glenneaglesfan
10-09-2007, 12:11 PM
Thanks tlr and everyone else for the alert. I've just listened to all these clips and it has really whet my appetite - these songs all sound great. I do like Steely Dan sound on Last Good Time In Town.

sodascouts
10-09-2007, 03:12 PM
Steely Dan huh? I'm not familiar with their music (even though I know about the references to the Eagles in one of their songs and vice versa). Maybe I should look it up!

DonFan
10-09-2007, 03:38 PM
Soda, you really should give them a listen--Steely Dan has some really good songs.

Here in Alabama we are partial to one of their songs called "Deacon Blues", which has a chorus that goes:

"They got a name for the winners in the world
And I want a name when I lose
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide
Call me Deacon Blues"

I Google'd that song one day and got this explanation:

This Steely Dan song probably refers to The Wake Forest "Demon Deacons," whose football team had losing streaks during the 1977 (1-10) and 1978 seasons (1-10) which paralleled one of several of The University Of Alabama's extended winning streaks, including back-to-back National Championships during the 1978 and 1979 seasons under Coach Paul W. Bryant. Alabama is known as "The Crimson Tide." The University Of Alabama football team had been so successful during that period (1970-1979) that it was probably more newsworthy when they lost.

JoeFan
10-09-2007, 03:48 PM
I think this clip is very promising, the most exciting clip so far, not just saying that because I'm a Joe fan.

Freypower
10-09-2007, 06:38 PM
Soda, if you go to the Concerts thread in Cheap Talk you can read my review of their recent Sydney concert. Surely you know some of my Top 10 (yes, here I go again):

1. Pretzel Logic
2. Reelin' In The Years
3. Kid Charlemagne
4. Black Friday
5. Rikki Don't Lose That Number
6. Do It Again
7. Show Biz Kids (you have heard Glenn do that if you have Royal Oak)
8. My Old School
9. The Fez
10. Deacon Blues (I'm still getting to know this. I am sure this is where Frey Jr's name came from. If you go to the Don Lane interview Glenn quotes the line 'this is the day of the expanding man' but he changes it to 'year').

Re Last Good Time In Town I don't know that it's that much like Steely Dan. I am still less sure about this one than the others.

And DF thank you for the Crimson Tide/Deacon Blues reference. I knew what Crimson Tide meant but I didn't understand how it then tied in with Deacon Blues.

sodascouts
10-09-2007, 06:40 PM
The only one I know is the one Glenn did. I'll look them up based on the recs, though.

SweetHolly
10-10-2007, 05:45 PM
I'm totally :puke: about the new album. Sorry I just couldn't help it and I was watching HFO the other day and I totally crack up whenever I watch the part when Timothy says "are you pukin'?" :lol:

glenneaglesfan
10-11-2007, 05:30 AM
I'm with you there, SH!

Steely Dan huh? I'm not familiar with their music (even though I know about the references to the Eagles in one of their songs and vice versa). Maybe I should look it up!
Soda, you should give them a listen. Rikki Don't Lose That Number is a good one to start with. The Eagles quote comes in Everything You Did on The Royal Scam album: "Turn up the Eagles, the neighbours are listening."

DF, thanks for that explanation. I've always wondered what Deacon Blues was about. It may have inspired Glenn, and also has a band named after it, Deacon Blue.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deacon_Blue

I really like these clips so far. The other Eagles song that reminded me of Steely Dan was Those Shoes. I hadn't heard it until I got Complete Greatest Hits two years ago, and it took me by surprise to start with.

The Bomber
10-13-2007, 01:00 PM
I think this clip is very promising, the most exciting clip so far, not just saying that because I'm a Joe fan.

I agree. that little snippet has been stuck in my head since I first heard it.

SweetHolly
10-17-2007, 09:12 PM
I've been exposed to Steely Dan's music over the years since my dad loves them and listens to them all the time. I shouldn't really complain about him listening to them all the time cause I listen to the Eagles all the time.

EasyFeeling
11-02-2007, 02:05 PM
I could listen to that song for hours. You just couldn't sit still. One of my top 3 songs.

Freypower
11-02-2007, 06:22 PM
Now that I know LGTIT better, it is certainly reminiscent of Steely Dan. I like it, but it isn't amongst my real favourites.

Maleah
11-02-2007, 11:37 PM
I like the song a lot! I really enjoy both of Joe's songs actually. However....I do prefer GOTC of the two. :D But I LOVE them both! ;)

sodascouts
11-02-2007, 11:57 PM
The chorus is terrific. I love it. I don't go for the whispers during the verse though. I think they sound kind of ridiculous, frankly. Otherwise, I really like the song.

Maleah
11-03-2007, 12:17 AM
Honestly Soda, the more I listen to it, the more I dislike the whispers a well. It seems a little too much.

EasyFeeling
11-03-2007, 05:37 AM
Aaaaargh, you two get me to agree on this point. :wink: The more I hear it the more I dislike the whispers. But after all, I LOVE the song. I'm glad they tried another style of music and when it turns out as a song like that I'm more than happy.

Ive always been a dreamer
11-03-2007, 01:41 PM
I'm just the opposite - I liked the whispers the first time I heard it, and like them even better the more I hear it. It just serves to make the song a little different, which I like. EF, I agree and love it when the guys (or any artist) do things out of the norm so that the song is just not so "ordinary". I love the song, but still can't decide if I like it better than GOTC.

Molly
11-03-2007, 04:02 PM
The opening sounds like it should be used in a commercial for an insurance company or a soft drink. The whispering is odd. This is one I skip right past.

Freypower
11-03-2007, 06:12 PM
To me the whispering gives it a dimension that it would not have had otherwise. I admit that because it's Glenn doing it I like it better. I don't mind the song and I prefer it to GOTC, but it goes on a bit too long.

JoeFan
11-06-2007, 04:30 AM
Having heard the entire song I don't mind the whispering at all. My favourite part is the chorus though, it's lovely. This is one of my favourites off of the album.

tbs fanatic
11-06-2007, 10:39 AM
I love the song but have to agree about the 'whispers' - they come across as a bit silly.

sodascouts
11-06-2007, 02:40 PM
BTW, something we noticed in chat last week - some of the liner notes credit both JD Souther and Joe as writers on this song, some credit just Joe. Mine, for instance, credits just Joe. What do other folks have?

Freypower
11-06-2007, 07:12 PM
Both of my copies (including the one I just received from amazon.uk) credit both Joe and J.D.

Perfect Little Sister
11-06-2007, 07:36 PM
Interesting. My copy (from the official site) credits only Joe.

timfan
11-06-2007, 08:16 PM
Mine (bought directly from Walmart in canada) credits just Joe

Brooke
11-06-2007, 10:29 PM
Mine, bought from the official site, just credits Joe.

EasyFeeling
11-07-2007, 04:37 AM
No idea, have to look for it today.

Mine credits Joe and J.D.

glenneaglesfan
11-09-2007, 05:16 PM
I've been editing that interview, so have had a chance to listen to this again. I really like this rocker. Joe sounds so much more eloquent when he is singing. I heard the whispers and recognised it as Glenn, but that doesn't detract anything for me. Glenn has always added extra sounds to his tracks (could be another thread entirely), but for the most part, when listening in the car, these don't intrude. On the interview, Joe certainly credits JD.

The Bomber
11-10-2007, 11:51 PM
This is something different for Walsh. I like that he's taking chances. Seems like Walsh really wants us to get the message he doesn't party anymore, hahaha. I get it, Joe! The song works. The whipsering isn't that bad. The chorus part or whatever you call it is really good. I'm not disappointed.

JoeFan
11-11-2007, 01:03 PM
As I listen to it more, I begin to see the whispering as a type of 'percussion.'

eagleshenleyfan
11-17-2007, 08:20 PM
This is probably my second fav song on the album next to the title track. The guitar work seems to be very Santana-esqe which is obviously a different style for Joe which I think he pulls off with ease.
Lyrically it's a 'stereotypical Joe song', some great humour. :D

sodascouts
11-17-2007, 09:12 PM
This is probably my second fav song on the album next to the title track. The guitar work seems to be very Santana-esqe which is obviously a different style for Joe which I think he pulls off with ease.
Lyrically it's a 'stereotypical Joe song', some great humour. :D

It does indeed have elements of the familiar as well as the experimental. The song is growing on me.

sodascouts
11-14-2012, 06:45 PM
OK, pet peeve lyric here:

"I don't mind being by myself 'cause I know you'll come on down."

Um.... if she's coming on down you're not going to by yourself so... that doesn't really count! That lyric makes no sense at all.

Prettymaid
11-14-2012, 09:53 PM
The lyrics...

I like to go out every now and then
I can't wait to do it again
But I haven't had the time
Lately
I like to step out every once in a while
I kind of like to do it in style
I haven't had the time
Lately
Lately I've been stayin' at home
(Stayin' at home, stayin' at home)
Workin' the crosswords, turn off the phone
(Turn off the phone, turn off the phone)
And I dream I'm on vacation
'Cause I like the way that sounds
It's a perfect occupation
For me
I don't mind being by myself
If there's no one else around
It's the last good time in town
Well, I could stand up straight, get a real job
Stay up late with the same old mob
But it hasn't crossed my mind
Lately
Put on a suit, work downtown
Moon come up and the sun go down
No, I haven't had the time
Lately
Closin' the curtains, play jazz on trombone
(Jazz on trombone, jazz on trombone)
Though you won't see me around
It's a perfect situation
For me
'Cause I know you'll come on down
It's the last good time in town
Workin' the crosswords, turn off the phone
(Turn off the phone, turn off the phone)
'Cause I like the way that sounds
It's a perfect occupation
For me, yes it is
If you don't see me around
It's the last good time, last good time in town

VAisForEagleLovers
11-14-2012, 09:57 PM
I think the guy has some pretty good weed and doesn't see a need to leave or share. Probably way too simplistic. :grin:

Prettymaid
11-14-2012, 10:00 PM
OK, pet peeve lyric here:

"I don't mind being by myself 'cause I know you'll come on down."

Um.... if she's coming on down you're not going to by yourself so... that doesn't really count! That lyric makes no sense at all.

Maybe he really doesn't want to be by himself anymore, so it's kind of tongue in cheek, like, I can handle being by myself for awhile since I know you'll come on down. :shrug: .... :worried: ......

Prettymaid
11-14-2012, 10:06 PM
I think the guy has some pretty good weed and doesn't see a need to leave or share. Probably way too simplistic. :grin:

No way, VA! Joe's rockin' the clean and sober lifestyle here! :mrgreen:

Anyway, I absolutely love this song, and I especially love the lyrics quoted in my signature. They have been there since day one.

VAisForEagleLovers
11-14-2012, 10:14 PM
Well, to be honest, I can relate to this song (definitely without the weed!). Some of you have seen my posts about the drama in my life recently and it mostly involves this friend of mine who absolutely cannot handle being by herself. It's not a fear thing, just a preference. So when her husband can't babysit her (that's actually how she phrases it and she's 52) she expected me to drop everything and keep her company when her husband traveled.

I am the complete opposite, I don't mind spending time on my own. Long stretches of it if I have to. I don't need to be with other people in order to validate myself. In a lot of ways, it seems to me this is what this song is saying. He could be with other people and would be if it worked out that way. He knows that at some point soon he'll be around others but in the meantime he's OK being by himself. But, I need to think about the lyrics about not getting a job.

chaim
11-15-2012, 07:57 AM
I'm glad this song is on the album, bringing some lightness to the lyrical department. It really is fun to hear Joe report about such a trivial thing as how he spends his evenings. Phrases like "workin' the crosswords, turn off the phone" and "closin' the curtains, play jazz on trombone" are great, funny details. I llove this song. The music complements the lyric perfectly. Very relaxed.
Oh, and the best line is, of course "I dream I'm on vacation, 'cause I like the way that sounds".

TimothyBFan
11-15-2012, 09:29 AM
I'm with you, VA!!! Especially since I work from home, I've found myself more of a recluse and I'm ok with that. People sometimes drive me nuts. :hilarious: I've always liked those lyrics also, because I can identify with them also. My favorite is probably the simple phrase of, "I don't mind being by myself/If there's no one else around".... Amen!!!!

sodascouts
11-15-2012, 12:11 PM
I can relate to much of it too - although with internet interaction, we're never really "alone" unless we cut off communication that way, too. I would find doing that MUCH harder.

Freypower
11-15-2012, 06:13 PM
For me I'm alone a great deal of the time, when my husband is at work & my daughter is at school, & before I was married I spent most of my time away from work alone, so I'm used to it & I understand the sentiments.