PDA

View Full Version : If the Eagles were to 'set up residency' somewhere, where?

VAisForEagleLovers
02-26-2015, 01:19 PM
In an interview a month or so ago, Irving made the comment that the Eagles could do a residency in about 12 cities. I've thought about this off and on.

If they were to do this, they could conceivably start it as part of the HOTE tour, so I won't speculate on whether or not that tour is truly over after Auckland. Since the kind of residency Irving was talking about was more like what Billy Joel is doing in NYC than an act that plays in the same place every weekend, they'd be free to do other shows in other places, live their own lives, do solo projects, etc.

So I wonder what the 12 cities are? NYC, LA, and Vegas are the obvious ones. Since they did three sold-out shows in Dallas, I'm thinking that would be one as well.

There is probably a big difference between where they would consider it and where I would want them to do it. When they did the six shows in LA at the Forum, there were no VIP seats offered. I know there are people who like the idea of face value tickets in the front, but the reality is that at such a show, if you want a good seat, you have to pay through the nose to a reseller, and then they get the money. If I'm going to pay a fortune, I'd rather the band get the $$ than someone looking for a quick profit. If they do LA, I'd hope they'd offer VIP or at least Platinum seating.

NYC has nearly the same problem. Even though they offer VIP, since state law means you get your ticket right away, people are snatching up $650 seats and reselling for thousands. You have to be quick and lucky just to get a seat in row 5 or beyond. I wish folks in NY would write their state representatives and ask what they were thinking to pass that law.

As for Vegas, I've been there and done that. The upside of Vegas is that it's the easiest place to 'get warmed up' for the concert and not have to worry about driving, or finding a shuttle or cab, or walk through rain to get to the arena.

What do others think?

Funk 50
02-26-2015, 05:20 PM
If the Eagles are to become a tourist attraction, I can only see it being for California.... but what do I know? :shrug:

VAisForEagleLovers
02-26-2015, 05:32 PM
Well, they've been a 'tourist attraction', as you call it, in Vegas for a good many years now. They were playing there pretty regularly until the HOTE tour, and even for that they did three shows there. Two over President's Day weekend last year and one over Columbus Day weekend. People do certainly travel there from all over the country to see them.

TimFan222
02-26-2015, 07:30 PM
I would certainly say Vegas would be one of the cities. That have been doing shows there for several years and always sold out. Easy for all to get to.

I'm just afraid the HOTE tour may be over after Auckland. I think they would have announced more shows by now. I'm so sad I may not see this show again. They should record a DVD. Would be good business for them and a treat for us loyal fans!!!

WalshFan88
02-26-2015, 09:00 PM
Vegas. Everyone does residencies there from Motley Crue to Def Leppard to Guns N' Roses.

cynd1231
02-27-2015, 03:19 AM
If they're going to stop touring as we know it, I'd be in favor of residency shows but that sort of thing tends to be limited in location. Vegas and/or LA would be obvious choices.

A rotating residency would be fantastic! Hit strategic cities around the country: :!: New York; Atlanta or Miami; Dallas; Chicago; Des Moines or Omaha or St. Louis; Denver; Vegas; LA, Portland or Seattle as possible suggestions. One show/weekend every 5 weeks or so in a different location - or doing a circuit over two months twice a year- would minimize their travel, leave them plenty of time for family and solo or other endeavors and still keep their momentum going as a band.

There's basically only two more weeks left for the AUS/NZ shows and I have a feeling we won't hear anything about possible further band projects for a while. In fact, I think it may finally be time for the release of Cass County and some solo dates by Don :applause: (and Timothy has eluded that he's been working on material for another album). And while there haven't been any rumblings about a HOTE DVD, I refuse to say 'never'. We really don't know if/what they may have filmed since this tour started.

I think after the last Auckland show they'll all just take some downtime to breathe and enjoy the fact they don't have to pack their bags again in the coming weeks...deservedly so. But I refuse to believe just yet that we've seen the last of them! :pray:

Funk 50
02-27-2015, 05:30 PM
I think after the last Auckland show they'll all just take some downtime to breathe and enjoy the fact they don't have to pack their bags again in the coming weeks...deservedly so.

After a lifetime spent on the road, the guys must have a generous helping of gypsy spirit in them. It sounds like Irving's keen on a residency but I'm not sure the band would be comfortable dropping anchor for a lengthy period.

It's like that film with Lee Marvin singing (???) Wanderin' Star. Can they resist the lure of the open road?

Topkat
02-27-2015, 06:15 PM
Interesting thread, but I could only see them doing this in California.
Even though I'm pretty sure that Glenn & Tim both have NYC apt's, not sure about the others, but I'm pretty sure they all have an LA home since that has been home base for them most of their long careers.

Wish they would do a show a month here in NYC, but that's unlikely, but then I would be FLAT BROKE if they did it!

MaryCalifornia
02-27-2015, 06:59 PM
Actually TK, I would think the chances of a NY residency are as good as for LA. I still think they have something cooking in NY, whether it is with Jim Dolan or a Broadway show or who knows what. They could get Europeans coming just for their show, as well as all of the NY tourists. Maybe a two-year Forum and MSG residency? That would be sweet.

I just realized that this tour as we know it is DONE in 2 weeks, with nothing on the horizon...waiting for some news!

Glennsallnighter
02-27-2015, 07:14 PM
Theres no 'could' about the Europeans coming. Its a 'would'. Ive done it as you know, along with Desperada, and I have heard of quite a number of people who are happy to travel to NYC to see a particular show or concert. Its becoming a lot more common than it was!

MaryCalifornia
02-27-2015, 11:26 PM
Exactly! I was thinking of you guys, Flojo, etc...when I said that. We KNOW that fans come from Europe and the UK, because they're our friends on the Border!

Ive always been a dreamer
02-27-2015, 11:57 PM
If the guys don't have the desire to tour at this point, then I guess setting up residency in several cities is the next best thing. I agree that L.A., Vegas, and NYC are good bets, and some of the other cities that cynd mentioned would also make good choices.

cynd1231
02-28-2015, 01:12 AM
New York; Atlanta or Miami; Dallas; Chicago; Des Moines or Omaha or St. Louis; Denver; Vegas; LA; Portland or Seattle

Logistically speaking for the fan base, covering both coasts and some key cities in-between would still result in sold-out arenas. But it begs the question of whether limited 'gates' would make it worth their while because of the cost of taking their show on the road.

I point out again that Don still has Cass County to release and promote which could account for the fact that there are no further band dates being announced at this point in time. Timothy and Joe manage to keep themselves busy when the band isn't in full swing and I would bet that Glenn is looking forward to catching some Knicks and Lakers games before the basketball season rolls into the playoffs. AND there is the rumored Broadway production that could be requiring their attention as well.

They're all still going strong and I, for one, don't think that any of them are - to borrow a phrase from Timothy - 'ready for the rocking chair'.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-26-2015, 03:29 PM
This is an article about Billy Joel and his residency at MSG. He mentions Don as a bit of a blurb halfway through, and I assumed it was about him singing one of Don's songs. The end of the article, though, made me wonder just what friends might show up next Wednesday? Even if Don never makes a guest appearance during one of Billy's shows, I thought it an interesting read about the concept of a residency at a large arena.

http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/music/billy-joel-talks-madison-square-garden-record-breaking-residency-1.10569599

NightMistBlue
06-26-2015, 03:38 PM
It does sound like Henley could be a guest. Or was Billy just saying that rhetorically?

OT: BJ is an expectant father at 66?! Ay yi yi.

Brooke
06-26-2015, 04:36 PM
Maybe Henley will show! :cool:

This kind of helped me understand why these older artists keep doing what they do until these ripe old ages! I had struggled with why. Money? Surely they have enough to live very, very well for the rest of their lives and their kids and grandkids too! They don't need any more money. Don't they get sick of touring? This kind of thing makes it a lot easier. He will play once a week and go home! Huge! He doesn't have to record new music, people want to hear what he's already done!

Plus, I guess they just love performing for performings sake.

But, the Eagles didn't act like they loved doing it. With all their struggles with each other it seemed they couldn't wait to get a show over with and get away from each other. They are different than Billy though because he is the boss and the front man. His band works for him. The Eagles were a band and started disliking each other. They actually act like they enjoy performing more now than they did say, during the Farewell 1 tour. Remember some of the time you could tell they just weren't glad to be there? I do!

NightMistBlue
06-26-2015, 04:46 PM
Quoting Brooke: "But, the Eagles didn't act like they loved doing it. With all their struggles with each other it seemed they couldn't wait to get a show over with and get away from each other."

I don't pick up a negative or jaded vibe from them when they're performing. They are pros and put on a great show. But of course, both Don and Glenn have been quoted saying that "we're tired of these songs" which makes you wonder why they go on - though I'm happy they do. Maybe it's for the challenge?

sodascouts
06-26-2015, 05:55 PM
Can you have ever have too much money? I think they might definitely set up shop somewhere. Even if there's friction, you can tolerate a lot for a few hours semi-regularly when you're getting the kind of cash they'll take home. They don't even have to see each other outside of the performances (although that would be a shame).

I hate Vegas. Everything is overpriced and if you're not into gambling, what are you supposed to do? Plus, there's so many sleazy characters there. Walking down streets littered with ads for strip joints and dodging hustlers... ugh.

New York is a fun place to visit, but also very expensive if you want to stay anywhere near MSG.

Los Angeles is gorgeous and you can find cheaper places to stay near the venue.

So, out of those three, my vote is LA.

These other nine cities spoken of in the original article... what could they be??? Chicago is my kind of town, and of course I'd welcome anything within driving distance from Memphis (fat chance I know).

VAisForEagleLovers
06-26-2015, 06:21 PM
Since I always do VIP, I'm not at all for MSG, since they have the state law that tickets have to given out right away, there's a lot of competition from scalpers, and I have no wish to pay to travel and pay expensive prices for crappy hotel, and have a crappy seat.

Vegas, I don't mind on a weekend like last fall, Columbus Day, but major weekends like Presidents Day and Memorial Day, the airfare and hotel prices are completely unreasonable. I don't gamble, but I have been known to allow myself an hour of entertainment by losing $30 on slots. Since I like sports, there's always a good game on a large TV somewhere, and that keeps me entertained. Especially if the teams are wearing Black and Gold. :D I can see why Vegas suits them, so many travel there, it's not like they're constantly relying on locals to fill seats.

LA was good, and I'd do that again, especially in winter.

I still have never been to Chicago, shame on me, it's only four or five hours away. I think Dallas is a likely candidate for a mini residency. Outside of LA and NY, I think Dallas has the third-most shows on the HOTE tour in the US. Since Don lives there it would be convenient for him, anyway. I'd go there to see them. I can't see them setting up shop in Boston or DC, because they barely went to either city for HOTE. Only two shows in DC, and considering it's the 4th largest city, two isn't very many in my opinion.

ktdids
06-26-2015, 07:12 PM
Come to New York!
But I'm biased, I live here!
I haven't looked at hotel rates for here recently, but transit to the other boroughs can be easy, so stay in mine, Brooklyn! :)

Funk 50
06-27-2015, 06:10 AM
Manchester UK.

We mancunians tend to keep this quiet but Manchester is actually the centre of the universe :shh:

Glennsallnighter
06-27-2015, 07:43 AM
MSG is handier for me because I can make it in a weekend. I'd be reluctant to try to do Chicago in a weekend. The 3 times I have travelled through Chicago airport I have had delays - effectively we were 30 hours later home from our holidays this year than we had expected. Fine if you don't have work the following morning. LA would need an extra day for me too so less likely. I would spend more on the flights too.

NOLA
06-27-2015, 09:10 AM
Agree with NYC as a prime locale! Spent the summer of '05 (pre-K) at a rental in the East Village and still travel there for Broadway shows.

Dallas would be great, too! Don H. lives there and Texas is in the middle of the country. Like he said in the HOTE doc, "where the South meets the West."

Never been to LA, but it is where they began this journey!

Oh, hell with all that! Come to NOLA - it's one of the music capitals of the nation, and Don H. has ties to that city, too.

P.S. Please stay out of Vegas. That city screams "has-beens" to me.

AlreadyGone95
06-27-2015, 12:01 PM
I have to throw in Atlanta. I'd figure out some way to get up there for a show, even if I had to take a bus! Realistically, though, Atlanta as a residency is doubtful and only exists in my imagination.

Honestly, the other cities would be a "no way jose" for me.

NYC, Dallas, and LA would probably be the most realistic for the guys.

Vegas, well Def Leppard did do a residency there back in 2013 (Viva Hysteria), which they recorded and released on cd/dvd. Therefore, I wouldn't rule it out, but I can't see the guys spending a month in Vegas.
Chicago, I have no clue.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-27-2015, 12:31 PM
IMO, a 'mini-residency' would be a string shows relatively close together, time-wise, in one place. Especially when reading the article on Billy Joel's residency, and others, that seems to be what they mean. So given that, our guys did have a mini-residency in LA by doing six shows in two weeks. I've seen other articles that mentioned U2 doing mini-residencies at The Forum and MSG by doing 7 or more shows in a couple of weeks' time.

A residency, like the one Billy Joel has at MSG is a show or so once a month. You could conceivably say our guys have already had a residency at Vegas as they play there several times a year at somewhat regular intervals (they've avoided summer as far as I can tell). They do not have a stereotypical Vegas show, it's the same show they put on everywhere else, and they would continue that. There's a new arena being built in Vegas, and I can see our guys playing there three or four times a year until they decide not to do this any more. I can't see them playing a place that seats 5000 or less and doing a month worth of shows, what people tend to think of when it comes to artists 'doing Vegas'. I can say I'd be absolutely horrified if they did.

sodascouts
06-27-2015, 07:15 PM
I love the idea of Dallas. I am a Texan, after all. That would be awesome! I'm not counting on it, though.

cynd1231
06-28-2015, 09:32 PM
IMO the Forum in LA is their most likely landing site. Since three of them already make the LA area home -and I think Don still has a place there as well - AND because it is one of the entertainment hubs of the U.S., it just makes the most sense to me (just like MSG makes sense for BJ since he's a New Yorker). Seven or eight nights over a two-week stretch a couple times a year would certainly leave them all plenty of time to do solo shows or other projects if they're so inclined while still keeping a unified presence for the fans.

On the flip side, has anyone heard anything recently about the rumored Broadway production?

Roey
06-28-2015, 10:20 PM
I think the likely location will be the LA Forum. Don commented how impressed he was with the acoustics of the LA Forum. The travel expenses would be minimal (therefore the profits greater) since the band and most of the crew reside in the LA area. Glenn and Irv are friends of Dolan, the owner of the forum (&of MSG). It would be easier on the families plus it would be convenient for the band to spend time at recording studios or working on new material at each other's homes.

Geographically, I prefer MSG but I think California is great and I would gladly plan vacations to coincide with an Eagles' concert. IMO, Vegas is the least desirable location.

Now back to work so I can fund all these excursions!

VAisForEagleLovers
06-28-2015, 11:14 PM
I think that since the same people who own the Forum also own MSG, it would be both places. Yes, the band and likely the background musicians live in LA, but Glenn seems to spend most of his time in NYC. Timothy owns something there, and Joe has family there and seems to spend some time there as well. Regardless of where it is, costs to get the equipment and personnel there would be built into the price, so IMO that's a wash anyway.

Glenn hinted at the Broadway show when at the Garden of Laughs, but did not give a time frame or even outright say it was in the works. When he was promoting After Hours, in the interviews he also discussed the upcoming (at that time) History documentary. It would be too much to hope that Don mentions the Broadway show, or where the Eagles might be headed when he's out promoting Cass County.

NightMistBlue
06-29-2015, 09:13 AM
Manchester UK.

We mancunians tend to keep this quiet but Manchester is actually the centre of the universe :shh:

I didn't know you were from Manchester! Yes, it's amazing how much great music has been coming from Manchester - for 50+ years now.

My personal preference for an Eagles residency would be L.A. Maybe fan get- togethers or field trips would spring up: wouldn't it be fun to visit Eagles-related sites like the Troubadour, Dan Tana's for a "Lyin' Eyes" singalong, the Lido Apartments, Lucy's El Adobe, the former site of Asylum, etc.

Brooke
06-29-2015, 01:46 PM
Quoting Brooke: "But, the Eagles didn't act like they loved doing it. With all their struggles with each other it seemed they couldn't wait to get a show over with and get away from each other."

I don't pick up a negative or jaded vibe from them when they're performing. They are pros and put on a great show. But of course, both Don and Glenn have been quoted saying that "we're tired of these songs" which makes you wonder why they go on - though I'm happy they do. Maybe it's for the challenge?

NMB, I was mainly thinking of the 70's and TLR tour there, but there were many times that they didn't look all that happy during the F1 tour too. Maybe it was the suits! lol They have looked much more at ease and happy during the HotE tour. Jmo judging from some of the pictures!

VAisForEagleLovers
06-29-2015, 02:01 PM
NMB, I was mainly thinking of the 70's and TLR tour there, but there were many times that they didn't look all that happy during the F1 tour too. Maybe it was the suits! lol They have looked much more at ease and happy during the HotE tour. Jmo judging from some of the pictures!

I'm wondering if doing the documentary has a lot to do with them seeming to enjoy themselves more? It was amazing on so many levels. Going through all the old footage and discussing the history brought back the magic they felt as they were gaining popularity in the 70's. It helped them to remember all the good times, and all the times they got along (Glenn said something in an interview to this effect). It helped put their career in perspective and realize they've achieved something few achieve, and perhaps made them more grateful. For LROOE, they were early 60's. Even younger for FW1. I'd have to bet on them thinking at the time they'd be mostly done at this point, yet here they are, seven and ten years later, still selling out large arenas as a single-billed act, and getting rave reviews from critics and fans alike. That should be enough to make anyone happy to be where they are.