PDA

View Full Version : Lefsetz Loves It!

DonFan
10-10-2007, 11:48 PM
Here is the latest email from Bob Lefsetz--he loves the new album!!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/index.php/archives/2007/10/11/too-busy-being-fabulous/

Freypower
10-11-2007, 12:45 AM
Oh, OK, Bob. Calm down. I hope you like the tracks that Glenn sings too. :? Not to mention the ones Tim and Joe sings. I appreciate his enthusiasm, but it's a bit much for me.

It's still unclear who sings lead on No More Walks In The Woods. It can't be ALL harmonies.

Maleah
10-11-2007, 12:52 AM
Wow! His excitement makes ME that excited!!! lol It makes me anxious to hear everything. To me, his "giddyness" makes me connect with him more....on a "fan" perspective. He's getting as excited as I usually do! :lol:

EasyFeeling
10-11-2007, 06:05 AM
Wow! His excitement makes ME that excited!!! lol It makes me anxious to hear everything. To me, his "giddyness" makes me connect with him more....on a "fan" perspective. He's getting as excited as I usually do! :lol:

I agree, Maleah. :D Can't wait anymore! :band:

DonFan
10-11-2007, 08:18 AM
That's the way I feel, too, Maleah! When he wrote "I got a call from Irving asking where to send the new album...." I thought, wouldn't we all love to get a call like THAT? :wink:

What is amazing to me is that all the reviews that we have read so far have been overwhelmingly positive. I knew the Eagles have a huge fan base who would naturally love it, but we have all a little apprehensive over what the critics would write, since so many years had passed since their last studio album and critics can be so vicious. So far, eveyone who has listened to a preview copy seems to love it! That makes it even harder to wait until October 30 for the rest of us..... <sigh>

DonFan
10-11-2007, 08:58 AM
More song lyrics, courtesy of another review from Lefsetz.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Waiting in the Weeds:

"I don't know when I realized the dream was over

Well, there was no particular hour, no given day

You know, it didn't go down in flame

There was no final scene, no frozen frame

I just watched it slowly fade away"

"And I've been waiting in the weeds

Waiting for the dust to settle down

Along the back roads, running through the fields

Lying on the outskirts of this lonesome town

And I imagine sunlight in your hair

You're at the county fair

You're holding hands and laughing

And now, the Ferris wheel has stopped

You're swinging on the top, suspended there with him"

"I've been stumbling through some dark places

But I'm following the plow

I know I've fallen out of your good graces

But it's all right now"

thelongrun
10-11-2007, 12:03 PM
I buy all the man said. Did I wrote that? 8)

Freypower
10-11-2007, 06:12 PM
That HAS to be Don.

thelongrun
10-11-2007, 08:28 PM
That HAS to be Don.

You know me, I am an Eagles' fan, I like Don & Glenn's both Works and persona (as well as Joe & TBS) :wink: 8)

Ive always been a dreamer
10-11-2007, 10:56 PM
You know me, I am an Eagles' fan, I like Don & Glenn's both Works and persona (as well as Joe & TBS) :wink: 8)

Welcome to my world, TLR! :D

Freypower
10-11-2007, 11:05 PM
That HAS to be Don.

I am simply commenting on the fact that these lyrics sound like Don's. I did not say I didn't like them. On the contrary, they are very moving.

Perfect Little Sister
10-12-2007, 12:02 PM
I'm TINGLING! TEARS ARE COMING TO MY EYES!

It's not about airplay, it's not about sales numbers, it's not even about Wal-Mart. It's about music. How does the MUSIC make you feel. The music hasn't been emphasized in such a long time. And, it doesn't matter if you get off on what I do. We don't all have the same crush, we're not all in love with the same person. But, if you were ever an Eagles fan, when you drop the metaphorical needle on "Long Road Out Of Eden", your mind will be positively blown.

1) I hear you Bob. I had this same reaction to the songs Glenn gave a sneak peek at.

2) That's what I love about Eagles music. You don't just hear it...you feel it.

I just love the lyrics to Waiting In The Weeds! I can't wait to hear the music.

thelongrun
10-12-2007, 12:10 PM
That HAS to be Don.

I am simply commenting on the fact that these lyrics sound like Don's. I did not say I didn't like them. On the contrary, they are very moving.

Ooopss I see, sorry FP :? I thought you meant the Article was very much into Henley kind of ignoring Frey... It was? And what I meant is I am happy whenever whoever writes nice about them, either as a group or individually :wink:

Freypower
10-12-2007, 06:11 PM
As you've brought it up, Lefsetz's favourite Eagle is obviously Henley and he has been known to ignore Frey. In this case he can be forgiven to some extent. He's already gushed about How Long and my guess is the other tracks he's listened to are Henley songs. I sincerely hope that he will say some nice things about Frey when he listens to the rest of it.

Maleah
10-12-2007, 09:31 PM
If he ignores Frey, I'd hate to describe what he does to Timothy! :lol:

DonFan
10-13-2007, 10:23 AM
More Lefsetz--this is part of what he wrote about the title track:

-----------------------------------------------------------

http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/index.php/archives/2007/10/13/long-road-out-of-eden/

Freypower
10-13-2007, 10:27 PM
Wow... Don.... you are wonderful. I really love it when he writes like that, and he even gets a biblical Edenic reference in... 'the bitten apple'. And 'driving dazed and drunk'. The man knows how to do alliteration. Remember 'sweet summer sweat'? Ah yes. Hey, someone stop me or I'll start sounding like Bob Lefsetz. 8) That said, it would be nice if he would talk about songs sung by the other members.

DonFan
11-27-2007, 11:32 PM
Even MORE Lefsetz--his email today listed the Hits Sales Charts numbers, and The Eagles came in at #4:

4. Eagles "Long Road Out Of Eden"

Sales this week: 216,323

Percentage change: +11%

Tell me why you need a record company again? To get on "60 Minutes"? Well, Irving and Larry managed to do this sans hundreds of employees.

Radio isn't playing much of the Eagles' new material. Best to go where they are, TV! Hell, license every one of these songs. First to pay cable, then network TV. From HBO to NBC! Hell, the order is irrelevant. If they're going to do a deal with Wal-Mart, and nobody but fans are listening, why not go where the people are? Maybe commission a TV movie of the title track.

I'm against this shit, but the Eagles album is going to die a quick death, be a momentary event, unless stuff like this is done. To turn tracks into classics, they must be associated with something.

F**k the movies. They take too long to come to the screen and you never know if they're going to be good. And not many people see them either. Go straight to television, where the EYES AND EARS ARE!

Time to shift the paradigm once again, Irving. Moby was nobody when he licensed all his tracks. The Eagles are somebody, doors will open because of their name/history and the incredible sales numbers of this project. Seize the opportunity NOW!

As for the "60 Minutes" piece... Worthless except for the harmonies and the way Henley looked to the ceiling when Glenn was talking. Why does TV have to be so dumbed down? Why does "60 Minutes" have to assume that NO ONE KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT THE EAGLES? They own the biggest selling album of all time. Someone bought it. Chances are the same people watching this show. Couldn't you ask some tough questions? Couldn't we learn anything? We used to rely on "Rolling Stone" for this. But that was back before it cared more about automobile and tobacco companies than music.
-------------------------------------------------------------

He agreed with us on the lack of tough questions--but c'mon, Lefsetz, you could've left out the reference to the way-blown-out-of-proportion "body language" segment.

DonFan
03-27-2008, 12:15 PM
Lefsetz again. These are pieces of a column he wrote a couple of days ago about LROOE. He sounds disappointed (and I am, too) that the record hasn't received more air play.

I love that he said Don was a former "ubiquitious rock god." :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Doing my back exercises before packing for a trip last night I fired up the title track of the Eagles' new album. And realized it was no longer 1976, only fans had heard it. Don Henley has gone from being a ubiquitous god, a rock star we follow the steps of, to just another niche player. Today everybody is a niche player.

Can Don Henley and the Eagles grow their footprint? Expose their new material? Well, they released a single which got some country and AC airplay. But it wasn't "Take It Easy", it didn't generate any cultural heat. After that...

I'm going to use my pulpit to have you check out "Long Road Out Of Eden", as a social experience if nothing else. It's got nothing to do with whether you love or hate the Eagles, never mind Don Henley. It's about going into the time capsule and experiencing what the 1970s were like, when we lived for the radio, when we spun vinyl records in darkened rooms, when music wasn't shaped for the radio, but the listener.

sodascouts
03-27-2008, 04:57 PM
Lefsetz is always bemoaning the lack of sales of something or other. I got that e-mail too; I think it's interesting that he linked to an amateur YouTube video to get people to hear it. I wonder what the band would think of that? Would they appreciate it or would they cringe? Perhaps they've come far enough in their views on the internet that they can appreciate viral marketing through YouTube.

And DF - I think Lefsetz has a man-crush on Don. ;)

Freypower
03-27-2008, 05:52 PM
He certainly appears to think that Don is the only member of the band. :?

DonFan
03-27-2008, 05:54 PM
And DF - I think Lefsetz has a man-crush on Don. ;)

You think? :heybaby: I've known that for years--ever since he wrote that piece about Don & Stevie singing Leather & Lace together.

What can I say--Don has universal appeal. :wink:

DonFan
03-27-2008, 06:20 PM
For those who haven't read it, here is what Lefsetz said about Leather & Lace (sorry, Soda, for his disparaging comments about Stevie. I guess he was too distracted by Don. :wink: )
----------------------------------------------------------------------

From The Lefsetz Letter, Bob Lefsetz, July 11, 2006:

"Leather and Lace"
Stevie Nicks (With DON HENLEY!)

"When I cut my record, which is never going to happen, since musical talent is God-given, and I don't have it, I'm going to call Irving Azoff and ask him to get Don to duet with me, AT LEAST do harmonies.

Stevie Nicks is a minor talent. Here and there on Fleetwood Mac albums she shined. But left alone, she just didn't have enough good material. On her debut, the big hit was "Edge Of Seventeen". I can't even listen to that today. The Petty cover of "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around" is a killer.

But the essence of the album is this, "Leather and Lace". It sounds like they're singing in a dell. In farmland. Stevie is telling her story, and then from over the hill, from around the corner of the barn, comes Don Henley. He sings:

"You in the moonlight
With your sleepy eyes
Could you ever love a man like me"

YES! And I'm STRAIGHT!

Listening to this you know why girls all over the world lifted their skirts for Don Henley. Something this pure, something this REAL, rarely comes alive. And when it does, you just want to get CLOSER."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Uh, the line forms behind me, Lefsetz! :smitten: 8) :smokin:

Freypower
03-27-2008, 06:27 PM
'Shined'?

The word is 'shone'.

:?

It is good to see a writer who admires Don so much, I will say that.

sodascouts
03-27-2008, 06:31 PM
Hmmph! "Minor talent"! AS IF!

I think he's just jealous that Stevie got to knock platform boots with Don while Lefsetz can only sigh longingly, fantasizing that he's traipsing through a dell holding Don's hand. :inlove: ;)

Lefsetz's version of WITW: "And I imagine sunlight in Don's hair, we're at the country fair, we're holding hands and laughing..."

ETA: His visualizations are different from mine, that's for sure. I don't think of farmlands and barns when I hear that song. I think of two people, "face to face," having an intimate conversation in her house... you know, the one he walked into and knew he never wanted to leave. :) Perhaps he strokes her face a little as he sings to her.... sigh.

DonFan
03-27-2008, 06:46 PM
Lefsetz's version of WITW: "And I imagine sunlight in Don's hair, we're at the country fair, we're holding hands and laughing..." lol

:rofl: :rofl:

Either version works for me, Soda!