PDA

View Full Version : Glenn's book

OntheBorder74
03-30-2015, 11:07 AM
Hey Frey fans, what do people know about Glenn's memoirs that he revealed in that Tavis Smiley interview. Theres some rumours but wondered what other ppl heard. Be great if it was coming out soon!

Freypower
03-30-2015, 04:51 PM
It hasn't been mentioned since that interview, so I'd appreciate it if you could elaborate on these 'rumours' you have heard about it.

sodascouts
03-30-2015, 06:54 PM
I haven't heard anything new either, I'm afraid.

chaim
03-31-2015, 06:44 AM
If he does write a book one day, I hope it won't in any way be an angry response to Don F's book. No needless Don bashing - only what he feels is necessary to tell the story from his point of view. Don's book contained some unnecessarily shots at Glenn IMO. Also, all the original KISS guys have written books, and they are full of needless shots at the other guys.

UndertheWire
03-31-2015, 07:19 AM
Chaim, I found myself laughing at that. I just can't see Glenn devoting much space in his book to Don Felder. We know Glenn's a "big picture" type who doesn't like to talk about the bad times so I'd expect more about the great ride and how the business works than details of his relationships with band members.

chaim
03-31-2015, 10:29 AM
Chaim, I found myself laughing at that. I just can't see Glenn devoting much space in his book to Don Felder. We know Glenn's a "big picture" type who doesn't like to talk about the bad times so I'd expect more about the great ride and how the business works than details of his relationships with band members.

I find it very frustrating when I notice that an autobiography is basically a response to an autobiography that came before. It makes it less timeless. After several years even the writer probably doesn't feel the same way anymore.

But yeah, Glenn probably isn't like that, but I do feel that in the History of.... documentary Glenn probably showed too much how he felt at the time. Having said that, I think he did praise Don as a guitar player when he talked about Don joining the group. That's the right way to do it IMO.

Also, if Glenn does write a book some day, it won't be a response to Don's book, because there's so many years between the books. I see I'm arguing against myself here, but it's alright. I'll go even further in proving my previous fears unnecessary. I think Glenn should correct certain things in his book - like Don cleverly leading his readers to believe that he played the leads on ICTYW, or Don implying that HC being the first single.

Nice that I made you laugh.:hilarious:

sodascouts
03-31-2015, 09:48 PM
Yes, I would like some misperceptions "cleared up" shall we say; one can do that without sounding reactive if one handles it tactfully.

OntheBorder74
04-01-2015, 09:06 AM
I just saw a photo on the Life in the Fast lane facebook page where he is hanging out with a writer and someone commented it could have something to do with his memoirs, who knows I always got the feeling henley frey were too private for that

UndertheWire
04-01-2015, 10:06 AM
I just saw a photo on the Life in the Fast lane facebook page where he is hanging out with a writer and someone commented it could have something to do with his memoirs, who knows I always got the feeling henley frey were too private for that
I saw that comment but I don't think she's that kind of writer. Glenn has said he reads a lot, so maybe he just liked her book.

If this book should ever happen, would Glenn use a ghostwriter? My instinct is he wouldn't unless it was someone like Cameron Crowe who brings something else to the project.

VAisForEagleLovers
04-01-2015, 10:18 AM

As far as I know, the only writer he's 'hung out with' recently was while he was in New Zealand, Eleanor Catton. It's also posted here on the board and on our Facebook page as well. He's a voracious reader and enjoys meeting the authors of books that he's read and liked. I don't see how that translates into a collaboration, since she's not the type of writer to ghost-write a memoir that I can tell. Maybe I missed something, though. Do you remember what writer he was hanging out with?

chaim
04-01-2015, 11:13 AM
If this book should ever happen, would Glenn use a ghostwriter? My instinct is he wouldn't unless it was someone like Cameron Crowe who brings something else to the project.

I'm not aware of many rock autobiographies where ghostwriters weren't used. None comes to mind right now. Gene Simmons's book doesn't mention a ghostwriter. I know that he has read everything ever written on this planet and he's very literate, but still I have my doubts. I wouldn't be surprised if he used a ghostwriter and paid him/her off.

Freypower
04-01-2015, 06:55 PM
I wouldn't have a problem with a ghostwriter; after all, Felder used one.

I have a few thoughts about this, if it ever gets off the ground.

I wouldn't want it to be an 'angry answer' book. As Toni said Felder's book must be ten years old now. It's not worth responding to it now, even about the ICTYW thing. In my view if people who believe Felder played it couldn't be bothered checking the album liner notes they won't change their minds. It's sad but there you are. I would like to know more about how the firing of Felder took place. Perhaps he can't go into detail; he certainly didn't in HOTE. I thought he was entirely justified in how he spoke about some events in HOTE.

I would hope he might elaborate more on what he did in the band. It's his band. I don't need any more about how he sang fewer songs because they had Don Henley. Let's hear about how he did the songs he did sing.

Honestly I would rather hear more about Glenn's solo career. I suppose I would like to know how he has managed his personal life.

thelastresort
04-02-2015, 11:42 AM
The thing I would love to read more about (as for the other five Eagles who haven't published autobiographies) is their upbringing and work before hitting the big time: I found it really interesting in Felder's book to read about how he ended up in Boston before chancing it in California, his work with Crosby & Nash, even the random little tales from his early, non-musical life. Although Glenn and Henley obviously get quite a substantial part of their story into the first bit of HOTE, I'm sure there's so much more they could mention and encounters they could recall that would make a fascinating read. Even more into his Eagles career I'd love to hear Glenn's take on how he came up with the Tequila Sunrise intro and a first-hand account of that famous night where one of them first uttered 'Just look at those lying eyes'. He obviously also has his acting career in the 80s to discuss and various other ventures. I am, like a lot of others on here I think, quite bored of the whole Felder and Randy issues and the various takes on them so hopefully any book he would put out would focus more on his life and experiences as opposed to adding yet another voice to the various debacles that have occurred over the years. He does seem to handle himself quite well with Felder (I don't think I can remember Henley addressing him by his forename) so hopefully that bodes well.

But yes, I am very hopeful of something coming from Mr. Frey, Henley or Walsh in particular. Might be something for when they call it a day and have a lot more time and a lot less worries.

Ive always been a dreamer
04-04-2015, 03:04 PM
I totally agree that I wouldn't want any autobiographical book from Glenn (or any of the other band members) to be an angry response to air more of the band's dirty laundry. However, I also agree with Soda that it is possible to address misperceptions without appearing to be indignant or provoked and I hope he would give us his perception of events that he feels have been misrepresented by Felder or anyone else. However, I would also hope that he not dwell on the same old stuff we already know. Personally, I want to hear more about music and the internal workings of the band from his perspective, especially after the HFO resumption. Also, I'd like to hear more about how he has confronted the challenges of being the band's leader and being a celebrity, as well as, how these affected his family life. And I also agree with tlr about hearing more about his early life - this was one of the most enjoyable parts of Felder's book for me.

ETA: And another request: An editor and fact-checker, please! :thumbsup: