PDA

View Full Version : Don and Glenn give Billboard Interview

Ive always been a dreamer
10-13-2007, 03:27 PM
Billboard has a great interview with Don and Glenn posted on their site. It gives a lot a good information about the new album. Here is the link:

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/feature/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003658087

sodascouts
10-13-2007, 04:13 PM
HOLY CRAP, he was inspired to do How Long from the You Tube video?!!

I PUT UP THAT YOU TUBE VIDEO.

Me, Nancy Kerns, aka "DevastationTrail" (account now deactivated). I first created the account to put up the Jackson Browne videos from the Kirshner special (hence the Browne/Eagles lyric phrase, which I thought sounded pretty cool). I got a high-quality version of How Long a several months ago in a trade, and as I'd never seen a good version of it up anywhere, I uploaded it to YouTube.

I have to admit it was my fault that YouTube took it down. I accidentally let my hotmail account expire which was attached to the YouTube account, and since the e-mail was dead, it violated the terms of service, and they jerked down ALL of the videos I had uploaded, which by that time were quite a few. BOO!!!

After that, I uploaded it as a permanent download to the site (http://www.glennfreyonline.com/downloads/multimedialivevideo.htm).

I haven't admitted to posting videos to YouTube before because I was a bit nervous about how "the powers that be" might think about it, but it seems Glenn is fine with it. Besides, I just can't keep this to myself!!

Glennsallnighter
10-13-2007, 04:54 PM
Wow, Soda that is so exciting. I'm so happy for you. Its a pity the account expired. And imagine it was Cindy who saw the song's potential as a remake! Well Done! I feel so humble compared to you.

I thought the interview itself was very good and refreshingly honest. :D

sodascouts
10-13-2007, 05:06 PM
Oh, no need to feel humble GA, all I did was put a video on YouTube just like millions of other people do every day. Fortune simply smiled upon me for some reason!

The interviews are terrific and I love all the information they give. I'm just eating this up!

10-13-2007, 05:46 PM
That is totally freakin' cool, Nanc! Hmmm - I wonder what I can do to inspire Glenn ... :D :twisted:

JoeFan
10-13-2007, 06:14 PM
Nancy, you must be so thrilled, too bad the Eagles will never know from whence their inspiration came.

Great interviews, thanks for posting them.

Brooke
10-13-2007, 07:31 PM
Good grief! Very, very cool, Nancy! You should be very proud! Had Glenn's kids not seen your video, we probably would not be seeing the new HL today! :yay:

Wonderful interviews! Thanks dreamer!

These are my two favorite parts and Don and Glenn said pretty much the same thing!:

Don:
At the end of the day, we agonized for two or three years how we were going to make an album that was going to be modern and cool and cutting edge, and finally we said "To hell with it, we are just going to be the Eagles. We are just going to do what we do."

Glenn:
We are just the Eagles and we make these records and we wrote these songs and we put them out and people are allowed to pick up on what they like or what appeals to them.

I just love you guys! :applause:

rcknalwys
10-13-2007, 07:38 PM
How cool does it sound to say something like "oh yeah, this song was heard by Glenn's wife after I posted it on YouTube. It inspired him to record it for the first single off their new album."

Ok, I know you wouldn't dream of doing something silly like that, but well done! Even though your contribution to LROOE may never be known by the Eagles, you'll always know......and so will we hehehehe! Seriously, that is so freaking awesome Nancy!

DonFan
10-13-2007, 09:38 PM
Nancy, I am SO glad you posted that clip on YouTube. You actually had a hand in a little piece of Eagle history! That is unbelievable!

These are my two favorite parts and Don and Glenn said pretty much the same thing!:

Don:
At the end of the day, we agonized for two or three years how we were going to make an album that was going to be modern and cool and cutting edge, and finally we said "To hell with it, we are just going to be the Eagles. We are just going to do what we do."

Glenn:
We are just the Eagles and we make these records and we wrote these songs and we put them out and people are allowed to pick up on what they like or what appeals to them.

Those are two of my favorite quotes from those articles too, Brooke. They are "just the Eagles"--and we love them that way!

Molly
10-13-2007, 09:54 PM
How very very cool, Nancy! You have every right to be excited! I would be having a freakin' heart attack if it was me!

Freypower
10-13-2007, 10:14 PM
Way to go, Nancy. Really. That makes me proud.

Usual thing.... Don = lyrics. Glenn = music. I was interested by the little mention of Crago on drums. I do hope that Don plays drums on some of the tracks at least.

I also note that Glenn sequenced the tracks.

It's great to have you back, Glenn & Don (sniff) and Joe and Tim and Steuart and Scott and.... :D

EasyFeeling
10-14-2007, 04:21 AM
Wow, this is unbelievable, Nancy. http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/midi/verschiedene/h034.gif http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/midi/verschiedene/h034.gif http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/midi/verschiedene/h034.gif
We wouldn't have that song without you... I think you should tell Glenn next year at Pebble Beach what you've done. :twisted:

10-14-2007, 12:43 PM
I agree, EF. If Soda chickens out and won't tell him, somebody else may just have to intervene! :wink: :wink:

sodascouts
10-14-2007, 01:24 PM
I agree, EF. If Soda chickens out and won't tell him, somebody else may just have to intervene! :wink: :wink:

The problem is that he might think that I'm standing there expecting him to thank me or whatever. I don't want to look like a glory hound (even though I probably look like one on here, but I just had to share). Obviously it is his kids and Cindy who are truly responsible... and how long the Teen King's hair was. ;)

Miss Ghost
10-14-2007, 01:43 PM
How do you know it was the one you put up that he saw? He doesn't say the one he saw was put up by "DevastationTrail."

EasyFeeling
10-14-2007, 01:46 PM
Yes, maybe his kids and Cindy are responsible but YOU put the video up.
You shouldn't go and tell him Hey, did you know that... but during a talk you could mention it as a sideline. :wink:

sodascouts
10-14-2007, 01:48 PM
How do you know it was the one you put up that he saw? He doesn't say the one he saw was put up by "DevastationTrail."

Hi, Miss Ghost, been a while!

Your question is a reasonable one if there were a lot of versions on YouTube. However, at the time period Glenn references, there had been only one version up - the one I put up. That's how I know.

Anyway I don't want to keep harping on this and detract from how interesting these interviews were. I was amazed to discover that Don looks at the internet daily, and that they e-mailed MP3s to each other. For some reason I had this notion of Don and Glenn as perhaps not very gung-ho about the internet. Maybe Joe, who has been internet savvy since its popularization in the 90s, finally convinced them to go for it. Or perhaps it was their kids who convinced them to enter into the internet age!

sodascouts
10-14-2007, 01:49 PM
Yes, maybe his kids and Cindy are responsible but YOU put the video up.
You shouldn't go and tell him Hey, did you know that... but during a talk you could mention it as a sideline. :wink:

Well, we'll see, I'll think about it.

10-14-2007, 02:08 PM
Hey it just occurred to me that I'm a part of inspiring Glenn, too. I remember Soda telling me when she put that video up on YouTube! :D :D :D

And I agree, Soda. I had the same vision of someone mentioning the Internet to Don or Glenn, and them just making a yucky face. Maybe they are some of the baby boomers that are finally reluctantly embracing the Internet. You know - the 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em' attitude.

glenneaglesfan
10-14-2007, 03:10 PM
I've just read this and my jaw is dropping. Soda, and Dreamer, you are going down in history as the inspiration for the rerun for How Long! How cool is that?

Glennsallnighter
10-14-2007, 04:40 PM
Its very cool and I really do think one of you girls should tell Glenn :heart: during Pebble Beach next year. If I was to get there I'd at least try! But I havent a hope!!

timfan
10-14-2007, 06:19 PM
The Billboard interviews are FAB!! and Nancy you will forever be a part of Eagles history... how cool is THAT!!!! :D

Freypower
10-14-2007, 07:32 PM
Regarding the interviews, it appeared that Glenn and Don didn't do a lot of work in the same studio. I suppose they found it easier to do it that way.

tbs fanatic
10-14-2007, 09:30 PM
Wow Nancy, that is so cool. That was an interesting read. I cannot wait for the mailman to deliver the CD - I shall be ripping it out of his hands :lol:

Mrs Frey
10-15-2007, 08:03 AM
Once again, I have missed so much during my internet-less weekend! Nancy, that is fantastic! :D :D :D It must make you feel so proud to know that you had a hand in inspiring Glenn :heart: to record "How Long", all because you loved The Eagles enough to share that 1974 performance with everyone on YouTube. I am particularly happy that they recorded it, as ever since I saw your video download on GFO, I have really enjoyed the song, and wished that it was available on CD!

Thank you for posting those two wonderful interviews with Glenn :heart: and Don. I've only had a chance to read the interview with Glenn :heart:, which I find very interesting, and as GA says, very honest, not to mention humble. I've been so busy I'll have to read Don's later, but I'm certainly looking forward to it!

By the way, Nancy - if you get a chance to see Sugar again, just tell him about the video! I'm sure he will be very impressed.

sodascouts
10-15-2007, 05:45 PM
Here's another article from Billboard:

"The Eagles: A Long Road, Indeed" (http://billboard.biz/bbbiz/content_display/magazine/features/e3if4ef26bbb490c2c5260d9a21ee3079bd)

There's some recycling from the Q&A, but a few new things, too.

DonFan
10-15-2007, 06:13 PM
Thanks for posting that, Soda--it was interesting.

Glennsallnighter
10-15-2007, 06:32 PM
Yes, thanks again Soda! I love to read anything I can about the boys, as articles over here are a little limited to say the least!

Brooke
10-15-2007, 06:51 PM
"You have to sort of wait for people to miss you," Henley says. "We've always been good at getting the hell out of the public eye and being gone for a while.

Uh, wait for people to miss you? Like 14 years? :laugh: You are too funny Don!

Thanks for that Soda! :D

Perfect Little Sister
10-15-2007, 07:14 PM
First, let me say that I can't even imagine inspiring a person to do something. That is just amazing. I'm so glad that they did decide to do this song as I really enjoy it.

Second-I enjoyed the quote from Glenn re they're "just" the Eagles. It reminded me of the MI concert two years ago when he shrugged off all the cheering after ILTWAWD and said, "it's just lyrics and a melody" or something to that effect. Yeah Glenn...it's merely music.lol

Freypower
10-15-2007, 07:16 PM
If Don sings Business As Usual and (probably) Frail Grasp I hope that leaves Glenn with Somebody. It seems that I won't hear Glenn sing any 'deep' songs this time around.

Glenn's Girl
10-16-2007, 12:30 PM
Oh my, sodascouts, I can't even imagine how thrilled you must be to be a part of the Eagles legend! Like Brooke says, if it weren't for you putting up that video and setting off a chain of events, we wouldn't have How Long!! If I were in your shoes... I'd be ecstatic!

These interviews were good reads! I hope Glenn sings 'Somebody' too. I love to hear him rock!