PDA

View Full Version : Glenn to be in studio on the Dan Patrick Show 4/22/2015

VAisForEagleLovers
04-21-2015, 10:37 PM
Still looking for a time, etc.

http://www.danpatrick.com/

VAisForEagleLovers
04-21-2015, 10:40 PM
Here are stations that play the show and the times, but they do list podcasts later in the day online.

http://www.danpatrick.com/radio-station-affiliates/

On TV, it's on NBC Sports Network at 9am, (channel 220 on DirecTV). I've already set my DVR.

Funk 50
04-22-2015, 04:15 AM
I was going to ask what kind of show it is but if it's on a sports network, I expect Glenn will be talking sports.

There's no chance he's going to sing is there?

VAisForEagleLovers
04-22-2015, 07:40 AM
I seriously doubt it. He'll likely talk sports, hopefully all good things about Pittsburgh teams :hilarious:, and I'm sure he'll talk about the Eagles as well. I'm interested to hear what he'll have to say, if he'll mention the Broadway show, or the tour, or something solo.

GlennLover
04-22-2015, 09:37 AM
Glenn will be on next hour.

Brooke
04-22-2015, 09:50 AM
I hope he says something about his/Eagles future plans! Keep us posted!

UndertheWire
04-22-2015, 10:58 AM
Nice interview. He sounded pretty relaxed after they got past the initial grilling. No startling disclosures other than he has some hearing problems. Marriage is harder than being in a band - I think his point was that you can walk away from a ban animals" and always turned up in a reasonable state. He explained how he and irving came to have Lakers season tickets. Some talk about the tour and wanting to play the smaller markets (the "So this is Billings, Montana" tour). About being approached to do the Superbowl and why they wouldn't do it (needs to be a visual act). Another guy got to sing Glenn's songs (and really wasn't too bad). And just before he came on, someone made a comment that if you watched on tv you could see the great hair! Maybe someone will come up with a screencap of that.

GlennLover
04-22-2015, 11:01 AM
I hope he says something about his/Eagles future plans! Keep us posted!

No. As far as future plans he only mentioned the upcoming leg of the current tour. No mention of the Broadway musical. There really wasn't much new. He was interesting though, talking about people he had met & of course sports. He talked about his favourite teams & how he became a fan of those teams. Most of the talk was about the Eagles, bands they opened for & his career.

He was asked about himself or the Eagles singing the national anthem at games. Initially he said that he would sing for a Detroit Tigers game, but not the Super Bowl. He kind of backtracked on that when the host looked at the Eagles schedule & discovered that the Tigers play the night before the Eagles concert in Detroit. Said he word fake laryngitis & just go & watch the game. LOL

UndertheWire
04-22-2015, 11:11 AM
Also a bit on Almost Famous and Jerry Maguire.
Is this a photo from the show?
https://twitter.com/JasonKrump/status/590888251147190272

The podcast is online already.
http://www.danpatrick.com/dp-podcasts/

and video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUcncHXnlVE

Wow, they're quick!

GlennLover
04-22-2015, 11:36 AM
Thanks, UtE! I only had the audio before. Glenn is looking mighty fine!

UndertheWire
04-22-2015, 11:47 AM
The next bit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cbaYq3-dh0

GlennLover
04-22-2015, 11:55 AM
The next bit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cbaYq3-dh0

You're quick too, UtE! I did a search for it & only the 1st part came up. Thanks!

UndertheWire
04-22-2015, 12:49 PM
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tdzbgEDQyM

Brooke
04-22-2015, 01:22 PM
Thanks all! I will listen as soon as I can get some time!

VAisForEagleLovers
04-22-2015, 01:23 PM
He looked great!!!!!!! His hair did look good, there seemed to be a lot of gray in it, and it still looked great. I did notice that he still has great eyelashes. :jealous:

I was disappointed he didn't talk more about sports, although I did get some of my questions answered. The Kings are his favorite hockey team. He didn't really talk about current players or teams or this thoughts on them. Dan seemed to want to keep it to music and learning more about Glenn, which is fine except we didn't learn anything new.

HH texted me while I was at my doctor's appointment (more about that in the Life thread), and mentioned that he said marriage was more difficult than a band. I assumed that it was for him because in the band he's the boss, and in the marriage he's not (guys never are...). However, that wasn't his explanation!

It was a great interview, and I'm glad to have it on my DVR in 55" HD perfection.

VAisForEagleLovers
04-22-2015, 01:39 PM
Reading some of the tweets, Glenn was definitely trending on Twitter, and there were a few that had been concerned as to the reason why! All were glad to hear it was because he was on the Dan Patrick show. I had no idea so many were able to sit and watch this show during the day!

For Glenn, a commonly used hashtag is #awesome, which is true, as folks around here say, he's made of it!

VAisForEagleLovers
04-22-2015, 02:07 PM
The link for Part 2 said it was less than three minutes?

Here's the full Part 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tdzbgEDQyM&feature=youtu.be

VAisForEagleLovers
04-22-2015, 03:22 PM
Love this...no 'The'. Not even with a small 't'.
http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/vernakrose/gl/Dan%20Patrick/no%20the_zpssfyd7jp1.png

GlennLover
04-22-2015, 04:07 PM
He mentioned that he had a hearing problem, but it was not related to being in the music business. I knew Don H had a problem, but I didn't know about Glenn's. I wonder if that is why he often holds on to his earpiece when performing?

sodascouts
04-22-2015, 05:18 PM
Ooh! I can't wait to watch this!

A hearing problem isn't ideal for a musician but then again, it didn't stop Beethoven!

Freypower
04-22-2015, 06:44 PM
Interesting interview; slightly different from normal. I'm afraid most of the American sport stuff went over my head. He talked about songwriting at the beginning. I wish he would do some.

The least said about the 'version' of YBTTC the better.

VAisForEagleLovers
04-22-2015, 08:10 PM
If Glenn is looking for a good reason not to sing the national anthem the day after their concert in Detroit, he has a great one. He'll be singing in Lexington that night, and I'll be there, front and center.

GlennLover
04-22-2015, 08:52 PM
They said the Tigers game was the day before the Eagles concert, so he doesn't have an excuse.

sodascouts
04-22-2015, 08:55 PM
I'm so lucky! I have my DVR set to automatically record anything that has the keywords "Glenn Frey" in the description, and it turns out I have the channel that plays this show! What a happy surprise to find this on my DVR! I just watched it. I laughed several times. Fun interview!

VAisForEagleLovers
04-22-2015, 08:59 PM
They said the Tigers game was the day before the Eagles concert, so he doesn't have an excuse.

I thought they said the day after! Either way, I'm sure that's a travel day or something...

VAisForEagleLovers
04-22-2015, 09:00 PM
I'm so lucky! I have my DVR set to automatically record anything that has the keywords "Glenn Frey" in the description, and it turns out I have the channel that plays this show! What a happy surprise to find this on my DVR! I just watched it. I laughed several times. Fun interview!

This worked for you! The description on mine never updated, it's just a generic description of the show, so if I'd relied on that, I'd have missed it!

WalshFan88
04-22-2015, 09:39 PM
Love this...no 'The'. Not even with a small 't'.
http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/vernakrose/gl/Dan%20Patrick/no%20the_zpssfyd7jp1.png

For me it's hard to talk about them as "Eagles".

Like.... "My favorite band is Eagles". That doesn't sound right. It sounds like there is something missed. I don't know why, but to me it's a word that needs something before it. Where as, say, Aerosmith seems complete. I don't think it's because I'm used to it but rather unexplainably it's a word that needs something before it.

I use a small t when typing about them but I use "the" word when talking about them.

VAisForEagleLovers
04-22-2015, 09:46 PM
Some of it is probably because when talking about the birds, when using the word, you always put something in front of it. The Eagles have been entertaining on the webcam today. A flock of Eagles just flew over. You wouldn't take away 'the' and you wouldn't say 'eagles just flew over'. Switching that over to the team, of course it's the Eagles. Same as it's the Steelers, the Patriots, etc.

So while I use 'the' with a small 't' and always will, I've gotten to the point where the capital T annoys me.

GlennLover
04-22-2015, 09:58 PM
Glenn refers to them as "the Eagles" when he is talking about them.

VAisForEagleLovers
04-22-2015, 10:09 PM
Glenn refers to them as "the Eagles" when he is talking about them.

Not always!! Now I'm gonna have to think about it, but recently, he hasn't always. Perhaps it was the Australia interviews?

And if I can just make a small, shallow complaint...what is up with all the turtleneck t-shirts he wears so often?? (That just might be the Captain Morgan talking there...)

sodascouts
04-23-2015, 12:29 AM
None of us go around saying "I'm listening to a song by Eagles." Whether or not "the" is officially part of the band name is irrelevant; they picked a name that is also a common noun, and therefore grammatically, it sounds unnatural to omit the article in the sentence when using it. Glenn himself uses the article the vast majority of the time for this reason - just watch the very interview this thread is about to see that. I'm sure VA is right in that there have been occasions where he hasn't; I imagine those were occasions where it sounded natural grammatically to omit the article. Those occasions are rare, however, in the English language.

I just don't capitalize "the" in order to acknowledge the fact that the band's name is officially "Eagles" without the article, since this issue is apparently important enough to them to make it onto a tshirt!

Funnily enough, the two photographers who did the Eagles' first two photo shoots (Diltz and Elder) had this same conversation on the "Under the Covers" documentary 20 years ago. This has been a matter of great concern for a while. ;)

Now, about the interview, when Glenn says you have to write every day if you're going to write songs, do you think he means that's what he's doing now, or do you think he means he can't do that now? I hope it's the former!

UndertheWire
04-23-2015, 04:42 AM
At least with the singing, it was Glenn's solo songs and even when they played an Eagles song, it was "Take it Easy". It showed an appreciation of him beyond Eagles (it feels so wrong to omit "the").

Why do you think Glenn did this? Is he trying to repair the damage done to his image by the doc/Felder? That nice, funny man couldn't possibly be the monster that Felderites like to revile. If that's the plan, I hope he does many more.

As I was listening to the first hour of the show and the talk of some young football star with problems I was hoping they'd ask Glenn for his thoughts on the pressures on young sportsmen as compared to young rock stars in the 70s. I'd been afraid that a US sports show would be like a foreign language but it's really just gossiping about sports and that's universal.

I liked the grey in the hair around the sideburns, and noted how his lashes curled in the profile shots. I disagree with VA about the turtleneck - I think it's flattering.

I hope he means that about being a songwriter and that he spends a few hours each day on his writing. That kind of discipline could also bode well for his book.

VAisForEagleLovers
04-23-2015, 07:24 AM
I'm sure VA is right in that there have been occasions where he hasn't; I imagine those were occasions where it sounded natural grammatically to omit the article. Those occasions are rare, however, in the English language.

If it had sounded totally natural, I wouldn't have picked it out, so...

I had started abbreviating the documentary and tour to be HOtE, then realized if I'm going to do that, then 'of' shouldn't be capitalized, either. HoeT looks funny, so I'm sticking with all caps.

GlennLover
04-23-2015, 12:14 PM
HotE doesn't look so bad. Afterall they are hotties. :hilarious:

UndertheWire
04-23-2015, 12:29 PM
HotE doesn't look so bad. Afterall they are hotties. :hilarious:
Good One.

GlennLover
04-23-2015, 12:30 PM
I just don't capitalize "the" in order to acknowledge the fact that the band's name is officially "Eagles" without the article, since this issue is apparently important enough to them to make it onto a tshirt!
Funnily enough, the two photographers who did the Eagles' first two photo shoots (Diltz and Elder) had this same conversation on the "Under the Covers" documentary 20 years ago. This has been a matter of great concern for a while. ;)

I remember, in the doc about the rise of the singer/songwriter, Steve Martin recalling that Glenn had told him that the name was "Eagles", not "The Eagles". Steve added that he thought it should be the latter.

Now, about the interview, when Glenn says you have to write every day if you're going to write songs, do you think he means that's what he's doing now, or do you think he means he can't do that now? I hope it's the former!

Don't worry Soda! I think that writing every day is the formula that Glenn has found that has worked for him over the years. I have read & heard him talk about this numerous times & not just in recent times. I think it goes along with his belief that you "have to show up". In other words do the work. I didn't take from what he said in that interview or from any he has done lately that he can't write anymore. He has indicated that he will write more. Maybe he's doing some writing for HC the musical????

Brooke
04-23-2015, 01:17 PM
I really enjoyed the interview too! Glenn looked and sounded great! I also like the bits of gray in his hair!

It will always be the Eagles for me. There are very few times where only Eagles sounds right. Sorry Glenn, if it sounds ok to you then so be it! Soda, thanks for the explanation. That did help somewhat!

On the writing, I think Glenn meant that you just can't sit down for an hour here and a half hour there and expect to write a song. You have to have a plan that like "this week I'm going to work on my writing". He can't go to his son's baseball game this afternoon and come home and write for an hour later. He designates certain time or days for it. That's my thought on it anyway!

ETA: I had to go look at the turtleneck which I didn't even notice! I don't think he has on a turtleneck. I think it's a plain undershirt under the sweater. The other guy has one on too. A turtleneck would go up higher on the neck. Most men do wear them under most shirts or sweaters unless it's warmer weather.

VAisForEagleLovers
04-23-2015, 02:48 PM
ETA: I had to go look at the turtleneck which I didn't even notice! I don't think he has on a turtleneck. I think it's a plain undershirt under the sweater. The other guy has one on too. A turtleneck would go up higher on the neck. Most men do wear them under most shirts or sweaters unless it's warmer weather.

I know it's a t-shirt :) Calling it a turtleneck is my way of complaining that it's hiding too much. He's got a great neck, after all, and I like when he shows it off.

Freypower
04-23-2015, 06:37 PM
I remember, in the doc about the rise of the singer/songwriter, Steve Martin recalling that Glenn had told him that the name was "Eagles", not "The Eagles". Steve added that he thought it should be the latter.

Don't worry Soda! I think that writing every day is the formula that Glenn has found that has worked for him over the years. I have read & heard him talk about this numerous times & not just in recent times. I think it goes along with his belief that you "have to show up". In other words do the work. I didn't take from what he said in that interview or from any he has done lately that he can't write anymore. He has indicated that he will write more. Maybe he's doing some writing for HC the musical????

I don't know what he would write for that & in any case that isn't what I want him to do. I want him to write proper songs preferably for a solo album, as I think the chances of an Eagles album are next to zero.

GlennLover
04-23-2015, 06:49 PM
I wasn't thinking of him doing full songs, maybe just some instrumental.

I would rather he write for his own solo album too.

Ive always been a dreamer
04-25-2015, 09:51 PM
Thank you all for staying on top of this. My weeks have been so busy lately, I hardly have any time to check things like this out. I finally got around to watching it today, and I absolutely loved this interview. It was quite different from what he's been doing lately so kudos to Dan Patrick for that!

UndertheWire
04-29-2015, 07:33 AM
Glenn mentioned meeting Paul Simon at a party organised for the Eagles to celebrate Hotel California being #1.
http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/t450/hairynosed/Paul_simon_zpswlij0789.jpg
It looks like its the same party as this:
http://www.glennfreyonline.com/images/GFreyIceEagle.jpg

GlennLover
04-29-2015, 10:29 AM
Thought of those picks too, UtW, when he mentioned that. Great minds!

SilverAcidRayne
04-29-2015, 09:39 PM
ok. did i just read that there's a possible Broadway show based on the eagles? how is that possible?

GlennLover
04-29-2015, 10:15 PM
Glenn announced over a year ago that they were planning a Hotel California musical with Rita Wilson to be the producer.

VAisForEagleLovers
04-29-2015, 10:20 PM
I believe Don mentioned it at a solo show as well, and mentioned Bruce Hornsby.

Ive always been a dreamer
05-03-2015, 01:53 PM
Yep UTW - I think you may be on to something. Glad to see you putting your detective skills to such good use again! :thumbsup: